Riddick

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

JoBlo vs Riddick

Postby TheButcher on Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:31 am

From AICN Thursday, October 10, 2002:
JoBlo Talks To David Twohy About THE CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK!!

Moriarty wrote:Hey, everyone. "Moriarty" here with some Rumblings From The Lab.
Nice work, guys. David Twohy’s got the groovy underwater ghost story BELOW coming out this weekend on a couple of hundred screens. He’s still barely being supported by Dimension, despite their limp TV campaign.
No matter how anemic the reaction to this film, though, and no matter how undeserved a death Miramax has condemned it to, Twohy’s already looking ahead, and I think he’s gearing up to do something that we should all pay close attention to. If he finally delivers on the promise of his genre work so far and makes something epic and original, we could be in for something really special.
And any news right now is good news, I say:

Hey all:

If interested, our recent interview with director David Twohy provided some insight into the production of the PITCH BLACK sequel, THE RIDDICK CHRONICLES:

CLICK HERE TO READ THE WHOLE STORY!!

Here are the basic passages on that:
-----------
How far along are you with the RIDDICK CHRONICLES?

We’re in pre-production. The script is finished and I’ve got my production designer on it. Right now we’re calling the series the CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK. We’re referring to them now as “C-1,” “C-2” and “C-3.” I’m plotting all three films as we pre-produce this first film. The reason why it’s “Chronicles” and not “Pitch Black 2” is because that would give a false impression of this next film, because not only are we changing genres – the first one was a horror film and this one will be action/adventure/sci-fi – but we’re also increasing the scope in such a way that isn’t true to the original film as well.

Are you planning to shoot “C-2” and “C-3” simultaneously?

If the first one justifies any follow-ups at all, then yeah, we’re thinking of doing 2 and 3 together.

Can you give us a peek at what THE CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK will be about?

All I can say is that it takes that Riddick character and follows him through multiple worlds as he meets multiple adversaries. There’s a lot of theology in it. Even though I’m not a religious guy, I am very interested in religion and why people turn to it. In BELOW I’m interested in why people turn to supernatural explanations when there are more plausible ones. I’m not a great believer in the supernatural either, but I find it fascinating when people turn to it.

You shot PITCH BLACK in Australia. Are you planning to shoot CHRONICLES there, too?

No. We would have gone back, but stage space was a little tight there. So we booked Vancouver and sucked up all of their available stage space, only to find out that Darren’s new film, THE FOUNTAIN, went down. He had a lot of stage space in Australia reserved and suddenly in the last two weeks all of that stage space has become available again. I would have loved to go to Australia, but now we’re booked into Vancouver, so I don’t think there’s any chance of switching back at this point.

Have you done any casting yet, other than Vin Diesel?

No.
------------

Laters!

Berge Garabedian aka JoBlo
Awesome. Thanks for the heads-up, man.
Last edited by TheButcher on Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

RIDDICK 3 & 4

Postby TheButcher on Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:45 am

From Empire Online 11 August 2004:
Riddick's Future Not Pitch Black - Exclusive: Diesel and Twohy talk sequels
Anti-heroes don't come much more anti- than Richard B. Riddick. At times it seems that virtually everyone he has ever met has tried to kill him — and the feeling's mutual — so it’s lucky for him that he can see in the dark. He saw off a planetful of evil flying beasties in the fabulous Pitch Black, and he's back for more in The Chronicles of Riddick, which opens on August 27.

But if the makers have their way, even that won't be the end for Riddick. No, Vin Diesel and David Twohy have their eyes on a trilogy of Riddick pictures, developing the mythology around the character. We have the lowdown below and it's largely spoiler free, but if you really don't want to know anything at all about the premise of The Chronicles Of Riddick, you might want to wait a couple of weeks to read this.

"From the very, very beginning, when everyone thought it was crazy, I was thinking of The Chronicles Of Riddick as a trilogy," said Diesel. "That would start with the movie you saw, and Pitch Black would act as a prequel that introduced you to the character. So in simple terms, in Chronicles 2 we venture to the Underverse. We knew we could get away with a PG-13 on the first one, but once you go to the Underverse it's rated R, because it's a place where war is the norm and there is constant, constant battling. Then on Chronicles 3 we will see Riddick return to Furia, to deal with the homeland."

Underverse? What is this Underverse? It is mentioned in the new film, but barely explained. So can writer /director David Twohy tell us more?

"We did a lot of talking in this film about the Underverse, and one way of talking about it is the promised land — that this leader of this new Necromonger faith has found. If you want to look at it more scientifically, scientists have this concept of multiverses — multiple universes, y'know. The idea is that this 'verse they talk about, this Underverse, is a parallel universe, and the door to that, the portal to that place, has been found by the Lord Marshal. And he is the one guy who has stepped across, and gazed upon its beauty and its power, and taken a little bit of it back with him. So there's much to be plundered there."

No sequel has been greenlit so far, but these two seem to have enough enthusiasm to make it all by themselves. Unfortunately, it's more likely to happen with $100 million and an expert CGI and design team. So if there's anyone out there with the GDP of a small country to spare, do contact Mr. Diesel or Mr. Twohy and get things moving.
Last edited by TheButcher on Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

RIDDICK 3 & 4

Postby TheButcher on Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:46 am

From Now Playing Magazine Friday, 12 November 2004:
Riddick Director David Twohy on More Chronicles
Scott Collura wrote:

Friday, 12 November 2004

A lot of fans were disappointed last summer when Vin Diesel’s The Chronicles of Riddick didn’t fare very well at the box office. The sequel to the cult sci-fi hit Pitch Black, Riddick was to be the first in a proposed trilogy of films further detailing the adventures of Diesel’s futuristic mercenary antihero, Richard B. Riddick.

With the film debuting on DVD next week, David Twohy, who wrote and directed Chronicles, took the time to talk to Now Playing Magazine about whether or not we'll ever see the remaining two films in the planned Riddick trilogy.

“[Sequels are] still a possibility, but many eyes are watching this DVD release very closely,” Twohy says, in reference to Universal’s number crunchers. “Remember that we were saying all along that we knew where the story goes from this point forward, but we hopefully didn’t have so much hubris to say that we were definitely making a trilogy out of this. What we were saying was, ‘We know what the macro arc is,’ and if we were fortunate enough to be successful in this one we knew where we would pick up in the next one. We had it in our minds and there are certain setups in The Chronicles of Riddick for future films, including the Shirah character who now appears in the [director’s cut DVD], a character who did not make it into the theatrical version at all.”

The filmmaker explains that Shirah (played by Kristin Lehman) was dropped from the theatrical film very late in the process, but that she will figure prominently in any sequels.

“It was decided that character just brought a little more confusion than enlightenment to the theatrical cut and so we decided to pull her scenes out,” he continues. “Basically, she belonged to the same race as Riddick and she helped shed light on his past. Why was he strangled at birth? Why did somebody try to murder him at birth? All that got put back into this DVD, so it’s a more layered experience.”

The mythology of the Riddick universe will also be further fleshed out, should sequels be commissioned. And whether that happens or not would seem to depend entirely on how well the DVD sells in the next few weeks.

“We would talk a lot about the Underverse – this being the sort of collision of Heaven and Hell for the Necromonger empire – and what that all is, and we’d venture across it,” Twohy says. “We know the Lord Marshal character gained some powers there by stepping in, having one foot in this land of the Necromonger dead. And he came back with this power of soul separation. So it’s a very interesting place, and thought to be a physical place, and if we had the opportunity to continue the story we would surely like to go there.”

For more in-depth coverage on The Chronicles of Riddick sequels, subscribe to Now Playing Magazine today!

In an interview with Now Playing magazine to promote the upcoming Unrated Director's Cut DVD release of this past summer's "The Chronicles of Riddick", helmer David Twohy spoke about the possibilities of doing the further two films in the proposed trilogy featuring the Vin Diesel-played anti-hero.

"[Sequels are] still a possibility, but many eyes are watching this DVD release very closely. Remember that we were saying all along that we knew where the story goes from this point forward, but we hopefully didn’t have so much hubris to say that we were definitely making a trilogy out of this. What we were saying was, ‘We know what the macro arc is,’ and if we were fortunate enough to be successful in this one we knew where we would pick up in the next one.

We had it in our minds and there are certain setups in The Chronicles of Riddick for future films, including the Shirah character who now appears in the [director’s cut DVD], a character who did not make it into the theatrical version at all. We would talk a lot about the Underverse – this being the sort of collision of Heaven and Hell for the Necromonger empire – and what that all is, and we’d venture across it...if we had the opportunity to continue the story we would surely like to go there"

For the full interview, click here.

Thanks to 'Eric'.

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

“The Underverse” and “The Furyan”

Postby TheButcher on Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:39 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

RIDDICK

Postby TheButcher on Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:40 pm

From Variety:
Vin Diesel signs up for another 'Riddick' - Thesp will also produce third installment for Universal
TATIANA SIEGEL wrote:Vin Diesel is going back to the future to topline and produce a third chapter in the "Chronicles of Riddick" franchise.

Universal will handle domestic distribution on the sci-fi film, which is titled "Riddick." Lionsgate is selling international rights at the Berlin Film Festival.

David Twohy -- who wrote and directed the first two films in the series, "Pitch Black" and "The Chronicles of Riddick" -- will helm from a screenplay he penned.

Plot details are being kept under wraps. But insiders say the third outing will hew closer in tone to the cult hit "Pitch Black" and will focus on the character of Riddick as opposed to the universe he inhabits, which was the case with the critically panned "Chronicles of Riddick." Still, "Chronicles of Riddick" earned $116 million worldwide and spawned a successful vidgame series.

Dates are being worked out for "Riddick" so as not to overlap with Universal's fifth installment of "Fast and Furious," which will shoot sometime this year with Diesel onboard to star and produce.

Diesel and Samantha Vincent are producing "Riddick" through their One Race Films banner. Radar Films' Ted Fields is also producing.

Twohy most recently wrote and directed "A Perfect Getaway."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: What's David Twohy up to now?

Postby quiethell on Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:11 am

I really loved Pitch Black so I'm eager to see this.
quiethell
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Seppuku on Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:19 am

Vin's like a second-rate Sly. He's spent his whole career just milking two franchises dry. Except, one of them (Pitch Black) should never have had a sequel to begin with (I kind of dug Tokyo Drift). It's weird, I reckon he's a relatively smart guy- Spielberg only gave him his big break in Saving Private Ryan because the movies he'd written and directed were so good- but it's been ten years since Pitch Black and it's definitely way too late for him. I reckon his problem was The Rock kept on stealing all his good roles.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby thomasgaffney on Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:22 am

Seppuku wrote:I reckon his problem was The Rock kept on stealing all his good roles.

Like "Tooth Fairy"?
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon and apple and barnes & noble
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Seppuku on Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:27 am

thomasgaffney wrote:
Seppuku wrote:I reckon his problem was The Rock kept on stealing all his good roles.

Like "Tooth Fairy"?

Hell yeah! He'd have slayed in that role. Vin's Tooth Fairy would have knocked seven shades of shit out of the bad guys, then given them a dollar for every tooth he knocked out.

I really should stop reading the OLEG thread.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Re: RIDDICK

Postby TheButcher on Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:02 am

From THR:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/con ... 61c17867ad
BERLIN -- "Riddick," the third entry in the sci-fi series that began with 2000's Vin Diesel starrer "Pitch Black" and one of the most sought-after titles at EFM, has been picked by Central Partnership for Russia.

Lionsgate is handling international sales, and the asking price for Russia was $2.2 million. But reflecting how in demand the title is and a reawakening of the presales market, a bidding war erupted among Russia's major distributors, with the final price going above $2.5 million.

The project was unveiled to buyers at a nighttime presentation Saturday with Diesel present.

While some buyers have noted the prices for "Riddick" are high, it feels tailor-made for the Russian market, which is big on high-flying action and sci-fi epics.

"Riddick" delivers on both counts. Though billed as a back-to-basics approach to the character popularized by Diesel, the script features the character -- the most wanted man in the galaxy -- left for dead on a barren alien planet, dealing with "trisons" (three-legged bisons) and "mud demons." He must then contend with two squads of bounty hunters, one of which ride rockets called jetcycles.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:43 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

The Chronicles of Riddick: Dead Man Stalking

Postby TheButcher on Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:00 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: The Chronicles of Riddick: Dead Man Stalking

Postby Fievel on Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:54 pm

I loved Pitch Black.
I liked Chronicles of Riddick..... and wanted to see what followed it.
It looks like this new film will jump well past the conclusion of Chronicles.

Regardless, I welcome more Riddick.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheButcher on Fri May 07, 2010 12:11 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon May 24, 2010 7:51 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:54 am

Riddick Returns!

From Coming Soon:
Vin Diesel Teases Riddick Details
Vin Diesel has offered some slight hints at what fans can expect from the upcoming Riddick, courtesy of his Facebook fan page.
"[M]y partner on [The Chronicles of Riddick] since the beginning, [David Twohy]... has a new challenge in store," writes Diesel, "He wants me to have 3 different body looks for this next chapter... There is the DiNorscio type, the Dom type, and the lean Furyan type... but all in the same movie, haha... When it comes to art, we all like a challenge."

In addition to the "Furyan type" of the previous Twohy films (Pitch Black and The Chronicles of Riddick), Diesel makes reference to his body type in Find Me Guilty and in the Fast and the Furious films.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:47 am

From Cinemablend:
Vin Diesel Determined To Make Riddick 3 Rated-R At Any Cost
Josh Tyler wrote:Say what you want about Vin Diesel but when he believes in something, he commits himself to it like no other. Maybe that’s why he has one of the most active and interactive fan pages on Facebook. Vin gets deeply involved with his fans, and they love him for it. He’s pretty deeply involved in making another Chronicles of Riddick movie too. In fact, it’s safe to say this thing is only happening because he loves it so much that he’s been throwing everything he has into it. The second installment in the franchise never did as well as hoped, and for any other movie series that would have been the end of it, but Vin has refused to let it die.

So now Diesel and Riddick director David Twohy are moving forward with a third entry in the series, and they’re doing it without all the big budgets and crazy Hollywood spending used on the second film. Twohy and Diesel took to Vin’s Facebook page today to answer questions from fans about the new movie, and they confirmed that they’re getting back to basics.

Twohy explains, “It’s going to be a lot like Pitch Black because of the money involved.” It’s not just about money though. It’s also about making the movie they want to make. David explains that part of the reason they’re going with less money is that, “We want to maintain our R-rating, at any cost.” To which Vin rather emphatically and repeatedly added, “We’re committed to going R.”

That’s a big deal in Hollywood’s modern PG-13 frenzy. In a world where even Die Hard movies can’t get made unless they’re watered down to a PG-13, in an environment where Oscar winning R-rated films are being censored to fit into a family friendly rating, a commitment to R is no easy thing. That’s why Twohy says, “We are going to be lean and we’re gonna do it quick and it’s going to be a cool movie.”

Pitch Black was a gritty, simple, sharply made little R-rated science fiction film. It launched the mega-fame of Vin Diesel and deserved pretty much all the praise it got, and there was a lot of it. The sequel took Diesel’s Riddick character out into a massive, Star Wars-sized universe, causing the project’s budget to balloon and, oh by the way, forcing Twohy to turn his gritty R-rated universe into a family friendly PG-13. Getting back to the basics which made things work so well in the first place is definitely the way to go at this point.

So what will it be about? Team Riddick isn’t talking though Twohy promises they’ll have something for the Vin Diesel loving ladies. He says, “We do have seduction. In this movie we do have seduction.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon May 30, 2011 6:11 am

Vin Diesel: Riddick 3 To Begin Shooting This Summer
GRRRR..

D T the writer/director just landed in New York with the good news. We can start filming this summer. However, there is a catch… in order for us to make a true R rated film, I must work for scale upfront. Not unlike the “Find me Guilty” experience (which I wouldn’t have changed for the world)…

Money is always second to art, integrity and spirit… but the real issue is deeper. Can I suspend my life, to momentarily venture to that dark place… called Riddick.

Now, I need to hear from Our collective… you.

Wisdom and clarity appreciated.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:04 pm

From IGN:
Riddick 3: "Closer Than Ever"
Director David Twohy says a third Riddick movie is "closer than ever" to happening. And he's got the concept art to prove it!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:55 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:53 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: THE BRAZILIAN JOB

Postby TheButcher on Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:58 pm

David Twohy To Direct ‘Leonardo Job’ - Presumably Based On His Proposed ‘Italian Job’ Remake
Benjamin Wright wrote:While his “Pitch Black” and “Chronicles of Riddick” star Vin Diesel takes to Facebook to whine about being paid scale for director David Twohy’s (unnecessary) third installment of that series, Twohy seems to be a little more productive on the filmmaking front.

While Twohy recently lost out on the James Patterson adaptation “I, Alex Cross ,” ComingSoon reports that Alcon Entertainment is in final negations for “The Leonardo Job,” with Twohy set to write and direct. This may seem fairly straightforward, but if you connect-the-dots, you’ll see that this movie has taken an amazingly circuitous route from inception to big screen realization.

Back in 2005 it was announced that Twohy, who had written an unrelated spec script called “The Wrecking Crew,” would be transforming the “Crew” screenplay into the sequel for the 2003 Mark Wahlberg heist movie “The Italian Job” (itself a remake of a 1969 Michael Caine film of the same name). This new script, entitled “The Brazilian Job” (which makes it sound like some kind of elaborate hair removal process), seemed to gain traction. When Coming Soon talked to original “Job” director F. Gary Gray in 2009 (around the release of his revenge thriller “Law Abiding Citizen”), he seemed non-committal at best, offering up the standard “Gee, I hope so” response.

We’re guessing, based on the fact that the word “Job” is in the title of the screenplay and it has a similar caper vibe, that Twohy regained control of that original script and will just direct that before committing to Universal’s next Riddick entry. Hopefully it’ll be Mini Cooper-free.

According to the report, “The Leonardo Job” is set against the search for a lost piece of art by Leonardo Da Vinci named “The Battle of Anghari” (which many art historians believe is hidden beneath another one of the master’s frescoes in Florence). Two rival thieves are forced to work together to track down the priceless artifact, using cool gadgets to pinpoint its location behind another masterpiece. Only they aren’t the only ones on the painting’s trail. This also sounds like it could be the third installment in the “National Treasure” franchise, without any of Nicolas Cage’s excellent shouting.

Twohy is a genre stalwart who started out writing screenplays that were quickly snapped up if not exactly Shakespearean (things like the Julian Sands horror movie “Warlock” and the incredibly subtitled sequel “Critters 2: The Main Course”) before moving into the big leagues with his script for the Oscar-nominated “The Fugitive.” He managed to weather the storm of “Waterworld” mostly because he had nothing to do with its disastrous shoot, and wrote and directed the smart, small-scale sci-fi thriller “The Arrival” in 1996 starring a pre-breakdown Charlie Sheen. In the years since, in addition to the aforementioned “Riddick” and the still-quite-good “Pitch Black,” he wrote scripts for Ridley Scott (“G.I. Jane”) and overhauled the long gestating Darren Aronofsky horror project “Below” into an unexpectedly spooky ghost story set aboard a World War II submarine (he also directed). Most recently he wrote and directed the tropically-set whodunit “A Perfect Getaway,” which was a smart summer surprise a couple of years ago. As a filmmaker he’s a craftsman who you’d think the studios would utilize more readily – he’s comfortable with a smallish budget, works well with actors (look at the cast for “Below”), and navigates special effects well. The biggest problem with the “Chronicles of Riddick” was that things were simply too big – the sets, the effects, the ego of its main star – and the entire thing became a muddy mess, more invested in mythology than the raw thrills he can so easily muster.

While we could really care less about a nearly decade-old heist script, if there’s anyone that can deliver it in a snappy, appropriately adrenalized way, it’s Twohy. It will hopefully also loosen him up for the forthcoming “Riddick” adventure, should that come to pass (it’s not exactly a great time for potentially costly, high concept franchise features over at Universal). - additional reporting by Drew Taylor
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Re: The Chronicles of Riddick: Dead Man Stalking

Postby TheButcher on Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:05 am

From LR:
Vin Diesel Plans for 2012 Release Date for Next ‘Riddick’ Movie
In the spirit of Creative Sundays…I asked the director to send a key frame that I could post it for you.

Concept art and Key frames allow a production to explore possibilities before actually committing to the film. The road to the “R” rating, that so many of you were vocal about, has been a long one. The advantage however, (never empower the negatives) was that we were allowed a really extensive preproduction process. The art work so good, the artists have really outdone themselves in illustrating this world at [its] early stage.

When this film comes to the screen…know that you willed it into being!

Haha…

I got two meetings today that I have been prepping for…one with the Director and another one with the head of the studio to discuss casting and the 2012 release date. Like always, I appreciate having your voice present in these meetings.

P.S. Share your thoughts…casting, release date, mythology or anything else. It’s Sunday and we are, at the very least, allowed to be creative in thought.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Re: The Chronicles of Riddick: Dead Man Stalking

Postby TheButcher on Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:00 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

The Chronicles of Riddick: Dead Man Stalking

Postby TheButcher on Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:12 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:14 pm

Riddick Begins Shooting Soon, New Artwork!
Ryan Turek wrote:
Riddick, the third film in David Twohy's series about the titular anti-hero, is moving fast through pre-production. An R rating has been secured. Vin Diesel is coming back. Casting is underway and good times will be had by all.

Diesel has been keeping his fanbase in the loop about the film and, today, he shared some new artwork which revealed the Necromongers, the race seen in The Chronicles of Riddick, are returning.

Diesel writes: "One of many Necro-armor designs... Haha, I had to share. It takes hundreds of artists to make a movie... I am excited about the work Our "Riddick" crew of artists, are doing right now in Canada. Their contributions is what will make this film. P.s. Riddick starts principal photography in weeks... much to do, much to do... especially since it's "R"... GRRR..."

What's this entry about? Well, we landed an early synopsis months ago that went like this: Betrayed by his own kind and left for dead on a desolate planet, Riddick (Diesel) fights for survival against alien predators and becomes more powerful and dangerous than ever before. Soon bounty hunters from throughout the galaxy descend on Riddick only to find themselves pawns in his greater scheme for revenge. With his enemies right where he wants them, Riddick unleashes a vicious attack of vengeance before returning to his home planet of Furya to save it from destruction.

More as it comes in! I expect we'll be hearing some casting announcements soon.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:54 pm

Jordi Molla in talks for 'Riddick' - Thesp would join Diesel in Twohy pic
Jeff Sneider wrote:After coming close to nabbing the coveted villain role in J.J. Abrams' "Star Trek 2," Spanish thesp Jordi Molla is taking his sinister sneer to another sci-fi franchise, as he's in negotiations to play the villain opposite Vin Diesel in David Twohy's "Riddick."

Molla is in talks to play Santana, a mercenary who heads up an eight-man crew tasked with finding and killing Riddick.

Production on the second "Pitch Black" sequel recently resumed after a two-month hiatus while the producers finalized financing. 2004's "The Chronicles of Riddick" grossed more than $115 million worldwide, indicating there's still plenty of interest in another sequel, with this one being made for a price.

Molla most recently starred opposite Zoe Saldana as the villain in "Colombiana." In addition to co-starring alongside Johnny Depp in "Blow," Molla has also matched wits against two of the biggest movie stars in the world -- Will Smith and Tom Cruise -- as the villain in "Bad Boys II" and "Knight and Day."

Molla is repped by Paradigm and Artists Independent Management.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:55 pm

Katee Sackhoff To Co-Star In ‘Riddick’
NELLIE ANDREEVA wrote:DEADLINE EXCLUSIVE: Katee Sackhoff is in final negotiations to play the female lead opposite Vin Diesel in the untitled Chronicles Of Riddick sequel. In the movie, written and directed by David Twohy, the Battlestar Galactica alumna will play Dahl, a Nordic mercenary tracking Riddick (Diesel). Production on the sequel resumed recently in Montreal after a two-month break due to financing issues. Sackhoff, who had long been rumored for the choice for the role, will segue from Riddick to her new A&E series Longmire. The actress, who co-starred on the final season of 24 and did an arc on CSI, has movies Haunting In Georgia and Evil Sexy Genius coming out later this year. She is with Gersh and Bleu.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: “The Underverse” and “The Furyan”

Postby TheButcher on Tue May 01, 2012 5:51 pm

Eric G wrote:Chronicles???

....of Riddick?

Vin Diesel Already Talking Two More ‘Riddick’ Adventures
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:13 am

Universal Sets Release Date for Vin Diesel Sci-Fi Flick 'Riddick'
David Twohy is back in the director's chair for the third installment of the sci-fi action movie series featuring the escaped convict antihero.
Borys Kit wrote:Universal will release Riddick, the third installment of the sci-fi action movie series starring Vin Diesel, on Sept. 6.

The movie also will be released on Imax.

Riddick is an escaped-convict antihero whose exploits were first regaled in 2000’s Pitch Black. The movie proved to be a hit, and a sequel -- blown up to tentpole proportions -- ensued with 2004’s The Chronicles of Riddick.

It took several years, but a new movie got underway with the intent to bring the character to his stripped-down roots with a more modest budget. David Twohy has written and directed all three films.

Here is the Riddick logline provided by the studio:

The infamous Riddick has been left for dead on a sun-scorched planet that appears to be lifeless. Soon, however, he finds himself fighting for survival against alien predators more lethal than any human he’s encountered. The only way off is for Riddick to activate an emergency beacon and alert mercenaries who rapidly descend to the planet in search of their bounty.

The first ship to arrive carries a new breed of merc, more lethal and violent, while the second is captained by a man whose pursuit of Riddick is more personal. With time running out and a storm on the horizon that no one could survive, his hunters won’t leave the planet without Riddick’s head as their trophy.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Riddick

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:42 pm

Hey look, everyone! Riddick's back! And they've returned to the same formula as the first movie!

Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: Riddick 3

Postby Fievel on Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:49 pm

I really liked Pitch Black. I really don't remember much about Chronicles except that I was looking forward to seeing where the next movie was going to go at the end. Definitely interested in this new one.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fievel on Thu May 16, 2013 6:07 pm

Full Riddick trailer:

Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby travis-dane on Fri May 17, 2013 3:52 am

Starbuck and Johnny Tapia as mercs. I like.
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby so sorry on Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:25 pm

another trailer

Jeebus his line delivery is terrible.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Al Shut on Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:30 am

Is it just me or is 'this is nothing new' a terrrible way to promote a movie?

Anyway looks interesting enough for me
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:26 am

Al Shut wrote:Is it just me or is 'this is nothing new' a terrrible way to promote a movie?

Anyway looks interesting enough for me

judging by all the remakes and sequels that hollywood churns out these days, i'd say the movie studios don't seem to think so.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:25 pm

I never got around to seeing either of the previous two Riddick films.

This trailer doesn't really do anything for me either way. It has a bit of a cheapo tv movie feel to it, like that SERENITY thing. The acting feels really phoney and the sets all look stagey. But it could be fun in a trashy way like those stupid RESIDENT EVIL movies which I enjoy.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:47 pm

Motion Captured:
David Twohy talked to us about the creative struggles of getting a new 'Riddick' made
We talk about playing pulp with a straight face
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: “The Underverse” and “The Furyan”

Postby TheButcher on Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:58 am

From Latino Review:
Twohy and Diesel talk the future of Riddick
“You’ve got to go to the Underverse,” says Diesel. “It’s expected, it’s something I firmly believe. You’ll have to go through the Underverse to get to Furya. So, those are the two further stories that are mapped out. The Underverse is a much more costly venture. We went this direction, trying to do an R-rated movie, which is cool and even more interesting because it’s so unexpected. But yes, you will be at the Underverse and you will be at Furya sooner or later.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:05 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:38 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:32 am

I heard this movie was actually kinda fun. Did anyone see it?
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:48 am

I want to but the wife has no interest.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Ribbons on Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:03 pm

Just go without her! ONE OF US! ONE OF US!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:38 pm

yeah, that way you won't have to feign disinterest when starbuck shows her boobs.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheButcher on Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:04 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:44 am

‘Riddick’s David Twohy To Direct Relativity Sci-Fier ‘Replay
EXCLUSIVE:
Jen Yamato wrote:Riddick helmer David Twohy has been tapped to direct time-travel pic Replay at Relativity, I’m hearing. This is the previously untitled sci-fi script that the studio snapped up in July from screenwriter Joe Gazzam, who sold action-thriller Shadow Run to Sony and is scripting the Cliffhanger remake for Neal Moritz and StudioCanal. Story tracks Tyler Vaughn, a test subject in a quantum experiment who’s sent four days into the future, only to discover his son has been killed and he’s been fingered for the murder. When the day ends, he’s pulled back one day prior and realizes he must solve the mystery of his son’s death as he jumps backward, one day at a time, to stop it from happening on the day of the initial experiment.

Twohy’s at home playing in the sci-fi sandbox and is coming off of 2013’s Riddick, the third film he wrote and directed in his Pitch Black series starring Vin Diesel. Replay seems particularly suited to his strengths: He earned a WGA nom (with Jeb Stuart) for their adapted screenplay The Fugitive, another tale of a man wrongfully accused who goes on the lam to find a loved one’s killer, and he began his career by writing and directing 1992’s Timescape, starring Jeff Daniels as a father who goes back in time to save his daughter. Replay is being eyed for an early 2015 start, sources close to the project tell me.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Riddick

Postby Ribbons on Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:57 am

Spandau Belly wrote:This trailer doesn't really do anything for me either way. It has a bit of a cheapo tv movie feel to it, like that SERENITY thing. The acting feels really phoney and the sets all look stagey. But it could be fun in a trashy way like those stupid RESIDENT EVIL movies which I enjoy.

Yeah, this definitely had a cheapo TV movie vibe to it. The supporting cast and dialogue was straight B-movie as well. I didn't mind the hard reboot, but it ultimately felt a little too much like a retread of Pitch Black. I do admire the work that Twohy and Diesel put into this franchise, and they walk a fine line of making Riddick likable but also an evil bastard at the same time, mostly successfully. So I would support further adventures in this world. But, like I said, hopefully different ones.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re: Riddickulous Speed

Postby TheButcher on Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:45 am

Vin Diesel Announces RIDDICK Sequel & A Riddick Universe TV Show
Last night Our company had a party to launch Our TV division. Very exciting. MERC CITY is a show that will follow the Mercs and Bounty Hunters of the Riddick Universe. Next Month, DT begins writing the next Chapter in the Chronicles of Riddick... FURIA. #HappyFurianFriday.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion