SUMMER 2013!!!!!!!!

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Which big summer film release are you most looking forward to? (no particular order)

Iron Man 3
27%
Star Trek- Into Darkness
7%
Man of Steel
33%
Pacific Rim
13%
The Lone Ranger
No votes
World War Z
No votes
The Wolverine
No votes
Elysium
7%
The Great Gatsby
No votes
After Earth
7%
Kick Ass 2
No votes
Hangover 3 (really?)
No votes
Monsters University
No votes
Other (dammit, what did i forget this time?)
7%

Total votes : 15

SUMMER 2013!!!!!!!!

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:21 pm

It's right around the corner, Summer blockbuster season. Iron Man 3 reviews are starting to roll in.

Which of the big tent-pole films are you most looking forward to? Which do you think will be the best, qualitatively? Which do you think will do the biggest business?

I'm adding a poll with the big films of the summer, which are you most looking forward to? Star Trek? Man of Steel? KONG???!?

For me:

Most looking forward to: Iron Man 3, because I've been an Iron Man fan longer than you have
Prediction for Highest Grossing: Iron Man 3
Prediction for "Best" film of the bunch (totally subjective but whatev): Elysium
Prediction for "Worst" film of the bunch: Hangover 3. But if you discount that one then World War Z
Most enjoyable film to cleanse the palate after watching things blow up for a few weeks: The Great Gatsby
Most likely to flop financially: the Lone Ranger. I'd say Pacific Rim but I bet it does well overseas and I'm really rooting for it.
Most likely to surprise me by being pretty damned good: the Wolverine
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Re: SUMMER 2013!!!!!!!!

Postby Ribbons on Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:50 pm

Most looking forward to: Pacific Rim, because Guillermo del Toro is my favorite director and if he were to die prematurely I would drink myself into a coma
Prediction for Highest Grossing: Monsters University
Prediction for "Best" film of the bunch (totally subjective but whatev): Elysium
Prediction for "Worst" film of the bunch: World War Z
Most enjoyable film to cleanse the palate after watching things blow up for a few weeks: The Great Gatsby (in 3D, mothafuckas!)
Most likely to flop financially: The Great Gatsby
Most likely to surprise me by being pretty damned good: Man of Steel
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:07 pm

I think there are more movie options on the poll than there are Zoners posting posts. :D

Most looking forward to: Man of Steel... after that mind-blowing trailer, and given my disdain for all Zack Snyder movies besides Watchmen, I'm just curious. Ergo "most looking forward to."
Prediction for Highest Grossing: Iron Man 3 and if MOS gets good reviews and word of mouth, it will be a close second
Prediction for "Best" film of the bunch (totally subjective but whatev): Iron Man 3
Prediction for "Worst" film of the bunch: World War Z... seconded, but there are a few dishonorable mentions in this category. Lone Ranger, Hangover 3 and The Wolverine stick out, in particular.
Most enjoyable film to cleanse the palate after watching things blow up for a few weeks: -
Most likely to flop financially: Lone Ranger... such a big budget, such flat marketing...
Most likely to surprise me by being pretty damned good: Pacific Rim... honorable mention Star Trek Into Darkness
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby BuckyO'harre on Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:44 am

I voted Star Trek but would change that to "Other" since it turns out 'Only God Forgives' is being released in the summer, for some odd reason.

Trek seems the all-round "safest" bet for awesomeness, as it's mostly the same folks behind the scenes and has the added power of Cumberbatch.

'Man of Steel' comes next because I'm neutral on Snyder and the trailer gives me the good kind of nether-tinglees.

I have little doubt that Shane Black will make 'Iron Man 3' better than 2, but that's just keeping expectations at a comfortably low level.

'Monsters University' will be good times, but probably not the older Pixar greatness.

I feel like I'm not as excited about 'Pacific Rim' as I should be, but can't fight the "blahs". One minute I'm all "GIANT ROBOTS! SMASH-BOOM-YAY!", but the next I'm like "Ugh, that main protagonist seems like all the worst parts of Taylor Kitsch, Sam Worthington, and Channing Tatum rolled into one."

I hope to keep 'Elysium' as much of a mystery as I can going in, without any preconcieved notions.

I love westerns and enjoy Gore Verbinski's style, but don't care much for Armie Hammer at all, so that makes 'The Lone Ranger' a tough call for me. It's probably on the shakiest financial ground as well, although a 'Man of Steel' failure would bring larger repercussions.

'Wolverine' and 'Gatsby' will hopefully be the pleasant surprises of the year. 'R.I.P.D.' might be good for a laugh too.

I have little to no desire to see 'Kick Ass 2', 'WWZ', 'After Earth', or 'Hangover 3', and would add '300: Rise of an Empire' to the potential stinker list. I enjoyed 300 quite a lot, but don't really think another trip to that world is necessary. Of course, on the other hand, it does have Eva Green so...

BOOBIES!
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Spandau Belly on Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:55 am

Over in the Most Anticipated Movie thread my picks for 2013 were:

Spandau Belly wrote:Looking forward to 2013

1. Only God Forgives
2. The Place Beyond The Pines
3. Fast & Furious 6
4. Ain't Them Bodies Saints
5. Stoker

FAST & FURIOUS 6 was the only movie on that list that I think qualifies as a "tentpole" "summer" "popcorn" movie, the other movies I am looking forward to are all small budget niche movies. So F&F6 will probably be the funnest OLEG time at the movies this summer.

I have never seen a Superman movie or tv show or comic book in my life. Zac Snyder's MAN OF STEEL will be my introduction to seeing this character dramatized. I have liked all of Snyder's movies and am part of a elite secret society of five people worldwide who actually like SUCKERPUNCH, and not in some ironic way. I think MAN OF STEEL has the most potential to be a powerful epic story. I have no interest in any of the other superhero movies (IRON MAN FOREVER, THE WOLVERINE RETURNS usw) being released this summer.

I didn't like the trailer, but I'm starting to think PACIFIC RIM might be a lot of fun. I wasn't following that project at all, so I didn't know that each major country has its own mega-robot. Once I saw all the posters showing that China and Russia etc also have giant mechs, I got more of a fun POWER RANGERS feel from it and am now more interested. I hope Liechtenstein has a little feisty robot.

I saw THE DARK KNIGHT and I saw SKYFALL, and I have seen a couple trailers, so I think that means I have already seen STAR TREK IN 2 DARKNESS. Going through the formality of actually watching the completed film could probably only serve to confirm which expendable side character will be killed off in the third act to raise the stakes, although my money is on Alice Eve being introduced as Kirk's love interest solely so they can kill her off. Also, I can't get it out of my head how much Benedict Cumberbatch looks like some sort of supervillain version of The Shermanator.

THE LONE RANGER looks okay. I won't make any effort to see it, but I wouldn't fight against seeing it. Same goes for ELYSIUM.

The trailer for THE GREAT GATSBY 3D gave me a seizure. There's no way I'm watching that. And I am also surprised it is considered a big summer movie.

I have no interest AFTER EARTH or WWZ.

I predict that FRANCES HA will be the highest grossing black and white film released this summer. As for films in colour, it's anybody's game.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby minstrel on Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:57 am

Iron Man 3 for me. I'm totally sold on the Marvel universe as it's being presented to us cinematically, and I especially love RDJ as Tony Stark. Ben Kingsley as a comic-book villain? Bonus!

I have very little interest in Star Trek Into Darkness because JJ's first Star Trek had such a stupid script. I reviewed that movie here in the Zone and I stand by that review still. Those of you who disagreed with me are wrong. Not incorrigibly so, but wrong. ;)

I've never been much into Superman as a character, even in the comics, so Man of Steel isn't high on my radar. I'll watch what you guys say, and if you rave about it, maybe I'll give it a shot.

Pacific Rim hold no interest for me at all. Robots versus monsters? Blah. "Wait!" you say. "These are GIANT robots versus GIANT monsters!" Ah, I see: the quality of the film increases in direct proportion to the size of the robot and monsters, is that it? I'll be expecting an even bigger little kid to come along and pick up the giant robots and monsters and put them back in his toy box because his mommy says so.

The Lone Ranger might be interesting because I love Johnny Depp and I'm willing to give Armie Hammer a chance. But Verbinski always overstuffs his movies to the point where they're exhausting to watch ("Don't leave yet, guys!" says Gore. "I've got even more stuff to throw at you!").

I'm actually kind of interested in World War Z. I usually hate zombies, but I kind of liked the book and I like Brad Pitt. I wish George Clooney was in this, too, and Soderbergh was directing ... I might just wait for the Blu Ray.

Monsters University will make a pile of money, but Pixar has been running on fumes since, uh, Cars 2 or something. I wish Disney had never bought them.

Wolverine? I'll wait for the Blu Ray.

After Earth? I like Will Smith. I've never seen Jaden in a movie, but I might even like him. But the stench of Shyamalan is so strong I can smell it already, and the movie won't be in theaters until the end of next month.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Al Shut on Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:40 am

I voted Man of Steel but I'm also very curious about Gatsby not knowing what is going on in it as opposed to the majority of other people.

I also realized just now that the wolverine trailer looked pretty cool and that James Mangold, for my personal taste, has a better track record than Del Toro, Abrams and Snyder combined.

Didn't like the first new Star Trek that much so interest in the second is pretty low.

Least interesting for me is probably Pacific Rim which seems to suffer from some sort of live action robot trilemma, meaning a movie can be live action,feature giant robots and have action that excites me (note the subjective component), but it's impossible to have all three in one movie. Also whenever I read about the movie and the word Jaeger appeared this popped into my head

Not helpful!

Completely unrelated

Spandau Belly wrote: (IRON MAN FOREVER, THE WOLVERINE RETURNS usw) being released this summer.

usw ? I'm a bit distracted by the use of that (but as distracted as by the Jaegers)
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Fievel on Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:41 am

minstrel wrote:I'm actually kind of interested in World War Z. I usually hate zombies, but I kind of liked the book and I like Brad Pitt. I wish George Clooney was in this, too, and Soderbergh was directing ... I might just wait for the Blu Ray.

I just imagined the WWZ trailer with this music..... and laughed my ass off.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby minstrel on Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:26 pm

Fievel wrote:
minstrel wrote:I'm actually kind of interested in World War Z. I usually hate zombies, but I kind of liked the book and I like Brad Pitt. I wish George Clooney was in this, too, and Soderbergh was directing ... I might just wait for the Blu Ray.

I just imagined the WWZ trailer with this music..... and laughed my ass off.

That definitely is very funny!
minstrel

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:58 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:Over in the Most Anticipated Movie thread my picks for 2013 were:

dammit, not only did I pretty much dupe a thread....I duped a thread that I'd actually posted in. Oh well, we've got a little discussion going here so I'm not going to mess around with it and merge them as I don't want to lose either poll, maybe I'll merge them later.

minstrel wrote:I'm actually kind of interested in World War Z. I usually hate zombies, but I kind of liked the book and I like Brad Pitt. I wish George Clooney was in this, too, and Soderbergh was directing ... I might just wait for the Blu Ray..

It's funny, WWZ seems to be having an inverse reaction among fans than one might expect. I've heard a number of people who do not classify themselves as fans of the genre say they are interested in this (because they've read or heard of the book and/or like PItt), and a number of fans of the genre saying "Meh." Probably good news for the studio. For my part, I"m still annoyed with it being such an apparent departure from the structure of the book. I'd have preferred that it be made into an 8 part HBO series with different stories told each week, and I'm having trouble getting past that.

minstrel wrote:Pacific Rim hold no interest for me at all. Robots versus monsters? Blah. "Wait!" you say. "These are GIANT robots versus GIANT monsters!" Ah, I see: the quality of the film increases in direct proportion to the size of the robot and monsters, is that it? I'll be expecting an even bigger little kid to come along and pick up the giant robots and monsters and put them back in his toy box because his mommy says so.

I hear you. I remember saying when the first transformers movie was announced "it's GIANT ROBOTS FIGHTING EACH OTHER, IT CAN'T HELP BUT BE AWESOME"....boy was I wrong. That said, this isn't Michael Bay, it's GDT. I don't have the same insane love others may have for GDT, but I respect him and I tend to like or love his films. He has the eye for astounding visuals and the chops to make a film that isn't JUST about the visuals....or even primarily about them. I'm hopeful that this will be more than a ROBOT/MONSTER SMASH movie.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:52 pm

Most looking forward to: Man of Steel because after the latest trailer my excitement has skyrocketed! I was unsure before, but man, that was an awesome trailer. I hope the movie delivers.
Prediction for Highest Grossing: Man of Steel, though if anything beats it I guess it's Iron Man 3
Prediction for "Best" film of the bunch (totally subjective but whatev): Elysium (I hope it's not another Prometheus)
Prediction for "Worst" film of the bunch: A tie between Pacific Rim and The Lone Ranger
Most enjoyable film to cleanse the palate after watching things blow up for a few weeks: The Great Gatsby
Most likely to flop financially: Pacific Rim. Nothing I've seen so far looks interesting. The Lone Ranger at least has Johnny Depp going for it.
Most likely to surprise me by being pretty damned good: The Wolverine
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby The Leprechaun on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:21 pm

Lord Voldemoo is bored again. See how he talks to himself.
Last edited by The Leprechaun on Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dohn't try an' steal me pot o' gold.
The Leprechaun
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:34 pm

The Leprechaun wrote:Superman looks shit.
Star Trek looks like a pile of wank and it is from a spoiler review I read where it IS Khan after all. WHAT?! You copy from a previous film when you had the chance to do something different?

Iron Man 3 - woopdeedoo another sequel! Yawn.

Gullermo is an overrated gentleman.

You've given us the worst movie titles to choose from here, so unimaginative. Can't you people watch better movies than this turdpile? There ARE other movies out there and we don't ahve to rely on The Great Gatsby as the only alternative to the blockbuster out there you Struggling Background Artists.

Spandau came up with the best list and that was from anotehr thread!

You shoujld all be talking about movies about LOVE!!!

WHEN LOVE REALLY MEANT SOMETHING!! LOVE!! LOVE!! LOVE!!!

LOOOOOOOVE!!!!!

Love Actually 2?

Hey that's not a pot 'o gold! You Struggling Background Artist.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby The Leprechaun on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:39 pm

RogueScribner wrote:Most looking forward to: Man of Steel because after the latest trailer my excitement has skyrocketed! I was unsure before, but man, that was an awesome trailer. I hope the movie delivers.
Prediction for Highest Grossing: Man of Steel, though if anything beats it I guess it's Iron Man 3
Prediction for "Best" film of the bunch (totally subjective but whatev): Elysium (I hope it's not another Prometheus)
Prediction for "Worst" film of the bunch: A tie between Pacific Rim and The Lone Ranger
Most likely to flop financially: Pacific Rim. Nothing I've seen so far looks interesting. The Lone Ranger at least has Johnny Depp going for it.
Most likely to surprise me by being pretty damned good: The Wolverine

All your post are belong to us.
Last edited by The Leprechaun on Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Leprechaun
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby minstrel on Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:15 pm

Don't worry, Zoners. Leprechauns do not exist.
minstrel

Postby TheButcher on Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:30 pm

MAN OF STEEL!!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:34 pm

13 votes on the poll so far, impressive!

The distribution looks about right, to boot. Iron Man 3 would've been top of my list if it weren't for that Man of Steel trailer.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Fievel on Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:42 am

I voted for Man of Steel only because there was no Sex In The City sequel this year.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby The Leprechaun on Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:21 am

Fievel wrote:I voted for Man of Steel only because there was no Sex In The City sequel this year.

You should've voted for Pot O' Gold.
Last edited by The Leprechaun on Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Leprechaun
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Fievel on Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:21 am

The Leprechaun wrote:
Fievel wrote:I voted for Man of Steel only because there was no Sex In The City sequel this year.

You're an idiot.

It's true.

I poop in the shower just to see how much of it will actually break up and flow down the drain.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue May 21, 2013 2:18 am

I win.

FAST & FURIOUS 6 is clearly the funnest popcorn time at the movies this summer. This movie is nonstop awesome.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby BuckyO'harre on Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:52 am

Richard Linklater wins the summer for 'Before Midnight', even without factoring in Julie Delpy being topless for about ten minutes straight.

Not popcorny enough?
Pah, call it the palette cleanser then.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bastard_robo on Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:42 am

So..it's Labor Day.. officially the end of Summer.. .Thoughts?
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby BuckyO'harre on Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:46 am

On the popcorn film side? Whole lotta poop.
Well, maybe not poop, but big steaming piles of mediocrity. Despicable Me 2 was the only blockbuster I'd call great, while Iron Man 3 was very good, and The Wolverine surprisingly decent. As for the rest, I can only go so far as to say that I didn't hate any of them outright.

However, the films smuggled in around the giants were often fantastic so I'm not calling the summer a wash like most people seem to be doing. As I previously mentioned, Before Midnight is the best new film I've seen this year, but I would also highly recommend Mud, The Spectacular Now, The Way Way Back, Only God Forgives, The World's End, and The Conjuring.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:23 am

I ended up catching a few more of the big popcorn blockbuster summer movies on the airplane, so I feel I can now speak with a reasonable level of knowledge about The Films of the Summer of 2013. So I shall rank them.

Please note, there are a few big summer 2013 films I did not see (STAR TREK IN 2 DARKNESS, THE WOLVERINE RETURNS), so I will not comment on them.

1. FAST & FURIOUS 6
Easily the funnest movie of the summer. The action in this installment is absolutely huge. The climax involves so many guns, fists, and vehicles on a never-ending runway. Absolutely ridiculous!

2. IRON MAN 3
A much more engaging plot, lively character interactions, and a self-contained plot make this a superhero movie that is actually good on the standard of a normal action movie. Shane Black's writing style proved to be a great fit with this character.

3. G.I. JOE 2: RETALIATION
A complete mess of a stupid movie that is hilarious and really feels like a stupid 80s cartoon being acted out by real people, only not annoying and crass like Michael Bay's TRANSFORMERS movies. A worthy successor to Van Damme's STREET FIGHTER movie.

4. WORLD WAR Z
I never read the audiobook upon which this film is not based, so I didn't get all upset about this film like everybody else on the internet. I thought the movie was pretty good and the most original zombie film I've seen in a long time. In fact, it's probably the only modern zombie that doesn't feel like a throwback or like its still in shadow of stuff that was done in the 70s and 80s. This really feels like its own movie.

5. PACIFIC RIM
A fun movie with good action that was suprisingly more violent than I expected. The characters are really underdeveloped, especially the Russian and Chinese teams whose deaths are weightless because we never got to know them. And the first twenty minutes is the exposition dumping that is typical of lazy sci-fi writing. The film was definitely better than I expected, but could've easily been better than it was with a bit more attention to building a rapport among the Jaeger teams.

6. OBLIVION
Another one of those sci-fi movies where you get the feeling that the really interesting events will occur after the movie choses to end. The story we do get is okay, but never terribly engaging because the characters feel pretty flat. Kosinksi sure does know how to bring the pretty. This movie looks great.

7. MAN OF STEEL
If you're going to be dumb, be fun. Leave seriousness for smart people with something to say. The entire middle portion of this film is pointless, its running time is wasted setting up a tough decision and consequences that never happen. The action is good, and so are most of the actors, but this movie kinda sucks. Snyder's worst film, and his worst looking film.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Re: SUMMER 2016!!!!!!!!

Postby TheButcher on Tue May 31, 2016 5:25 pm

'Alice,' 'X-Men' Messes: Studio Execs Prepare to Sweat a Stressful Summer
After a Memorial Day massacre, chiefs of the big six go under the microscope with huge gambles (Sony's 'Ghostbusters,' Warners' 'Tarzan'), potential pink slips and Xanax-necessitating political intrigue (hello, Paramount) on the way.
Stephen Galloway wrote:Just a few months ago, everything looked so promising. Warner Bros. chairman Kevin Tsujihara was bragging this would be the year that put the sheen back on his film machine; Sony was boasting that its new chief, Tom Rothman, would shift the company away from the era of hacked emails and horrendous box office; and Paramount's Brad Grey was hoping for a performance to make us forget Sumner Redstone's private travails. How quickly things change. Entering the crucial summer months, when majors typically earn some 40 percent of their annual theatrical revenue, half of Hollywood is hoping just to hang in there. The town appears to be split among three clear winners (with strong franchises and the means to exploit them) and everyone else. Don't call any of them losers yet, but don't bet your house on them either.

PARAMOUNT PICTURES
The studio (or at least a stake in it) is for sale. Its frail owner, Redstone, is publicly feuding with the CEO of parent company Viacom, Philippe Dauman. Meanwhile, Paramount CEO Grey and vice chair Rob Moore have several big-budget bets on the summer schedule. Industry observers were shocked when the studio failed to show footage from one of them, Star Trek Beyond (July 22), at April's CinemaCon. (Producer J.J. Abrams attributed it to ongoing work on the picture, which instead was previewed in May at a carefully choreographed fan event.) Now the uncertainty has migrated to the sword-and-sandals remake Ben-Hur (Aug. 19), from Russian helmer Timur Bekmambetov, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows (June 3), a joint venture with MGM. "Paramount has a lot riding on Turtles and Star Trek Beyond," says box-office analyst Jeff Bock. "They would ideally like to pump infinite sequels out of these properties. And then there's Ben-Hur. God help them." And God help Dauman, too. If by some miracle he still is running the company on Labor Day, he'll hope to use summer film success as ammunition in his battle with Sumner's daughter, Shari Redstone. With so much turmoil, morale at Paramount is low, and Dauman's May 24 all-hands email attempting to calm nerves had the opposite effect on many. Employees know that the corporate drama will impact whether the studio is sold or gets an outside investor, possibly from China. And if the summer movies flop, says one studio insider, "Look for everyone to get whacked."

WARNER BROS.
Greg Silverman had better have a thick hide. The studio's president of creative development and worldwide production has been in the crosshairs for the past year, with endless speculation about his status, as the once-vaunted studio goes through one of the rockiest phases in its recent history. That speculation likely will intensify unless things pick up this summer. Few insiders view The Legend of Tarzan (July 1) as a surefire hit, though New Line's The Conjuring 2 (June 10) and the DC villain team-up Suicide Squad (Aug. 5) seem hopeful, despite extensive reshoots performed on the latter. "Suicide Squad looks like it's going to do very, very well," argues media analyst Eric Handler of MKM Partners. "The problem is, Warners has to deal with Tarzan first. I don't know anybody who's excited about [that]." As for the talked-about Dwayne Johnson-Kevin Hart comedy Central Intelligence (June 17), "New Line's Toby Emmerich gets credit for that," says one source. The WB triumverate of Silverman, Emmerich and marketing and distribution chief Sue Kroll seem like they have been under the microscope since assuming their current roles in 2013, with the most pressing matter being the future of Warners' DC Comics movies. Producer Charles Roven — having worked on each DC movie since 2005's Batman Begins — is being transitioned into a different role after the relative disappointment of Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice; Ben Affleck is taking on more responsibility for the Batman movies; and Jon Berg and Geoff Johns have been promoted to run a new unit called DC Films. But what about Zack Snyder, who actually directed and produced BvS and is now at work on two Justice League movies? Will he ultimately be edged aside? In addition, Warners CEO Tsujihara is preparing for his biggest bet of all: that November's Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them can extend the Harry Potter franchise with a story not based on the beloved books. For Warners, Beasts has to work.

SONY PICTURES
Sony reps are eager to spread the word that studio chairman Rothman's slate of films doesn't appear until the fall, with such releases as Passengers (starring Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt), The Magnificent Seven and The Dark Tower. Meanwhile, reports abound that the atmosphere at the studio is bleak amid rumors that its Japanese owners might want to unload it. (Hello, Wanda?) The upbeat debut of the $70 million Angry Birds (financed by game-maker Rovio) may help relieve some of that tension, but there's still speculation about further executive changes, with some questioning whether well-liked movie group president Doug Belgrad is a good fit with Rothman. Outsiders will be looking to the $150 million-budget Ghostbusters (July 15) to see if Sony — and marketing/distribution chief Josh Greenstein, who'll have a challenge getting men to see the female-fronted reboot — has its act together enough to knock the picture out of the park. "Not only does Sony need Ghostbusters to be an otherworldly hit, they need the property to spawn a trilogy, if not become a full-on phenomenon," says Bock. "Otherwise, it's back to square one."

20TH CENTURY FOX
Remember all that talk about production chief Emma Watts being on the way out after Stacey Snider was brought in as co-chairman in 2014? Fuggedaboutit. Watts scored a huge hit with this spring's Deadpool. The $58 million movie she pushed when others had doubts has grossed $763.2 million worldwide, and she has studio chairman Jim Gianopulos' ear. With a promising summer, staff changes look unlikely, though it's unclear, moving forward, what Snider's portfolio will be. "Independence Day: Resurgence [in theaters June 24] is going to work," predicts one insider. "X-Men: Apocalypse [which grossed $65.3 million for the three-day weekend, putting its four-day holiday gross at an estimated $80 million] is going to be slightly softer than they might like, but it should be fine. And they have a raunchy comedy, Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates [starring Zac Efron, out July 8], that looks like a sleeper." That optimistic forecast comes too late to save the hundreds of staffers who recently were laid off across Fox's film and TV units.

UNIVERSAL PICTURES
Universal may look weak this year compared to last, but after its record-breaking 2015 performance, what else could anyone expect? The studio looks likely to get a mega-lift with its animated The Secret Life of Pets (July 8), from Chris Meledandri's Illumination Entertainment, and the latest in the Jason Bourne franchise (July 29), which sees Matt Damon and director Paul Greengrass return. Behind the scenes, studio chairman Donna Langley and her boss, Jeff Shell, chairman of Universal Filmed Entertainment, will have to figure out how to handle a complicated merger of their animation assets, now that parent NBCUniversal has bought DreamWorks Animation and will entrust it to Meledandri; and they'll also have to sort out how to smooth their rocky deal with Legendary Entertainment, whose $160 million Warcraft (June 10) "could be problematic in much of the world," says Handler.

WALT DISNEY STUDIOS

Last year, a Disney executive was ruminating about what made his bosses different. "They're not looking for a movie that earns $100 million or even $200 million," he said. "They're looking at $1 billion each time." With a record $4 billion at the global box office so far this year, his bosses might just get their wish. Captain America: Civil War has already raced past the $1 billion mark globally, the first 2016 release to hit that milestone, while Zootopia ($984.2 million) and The Jungle Book ($863.2 million) are smash successes. "Think about it — what other studio is looking to go five for five this summer?" said Bock, speaking somewhat prematurely before the weekend box-office results. "That's all-star-level ability." Alice Through the Looking Glass' disastrous U.S. debut (the movie grossed $27 million over the three-day weekend for an estimated $34.2 million four-day debut) will spoil that streak, but Pixar's Finding Dory (June 17), Steven Spielberg's The BFG (July 1) and a live-action Pete's Dragon (Aug. 12) likely will be solid hits. All that looked promising enough for Disney CEO Bob Iger to complain to analysts in a May 10 earnings call that they ignored his film success and focused too much on problems at ESPN. "I am actually kind of surprised that, after almost 45 minutes of questioning, we didn't get one question about our studio," he said. Credit Alan Horn, whose deft management of Marvel (under Kevin Feige), Pixar/Disney (John Lasseter) and Lucasfilm (Kathleen Kennedy) is vindication after he was dumped by Warner Bros. Now, after talk that Horn would retire with his boss Iger in 2018, nobody wants him to leave, and his team looks as safe as any in the business. "They're bulletproof," says one producer. "Alan doesn't want to go anywhere, and he and Iger have a nice dynamic. You're not going to destabilize that when you're trying to solve the bigger issue of who's going to replace the man at the top."

Pamela McClintock contributed to this report.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: SUMMER 2016!!!!!!!!

Postby TheButcher on Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:03 am

Summer Box-Office Wrap: Why Hollywood's on Red Alert Despite Near-Record Revenue
The sequelitis virus infected a number of big-budget franchise installments, except for a precious few (think 'Captain America: Civil War' and 'Finding Dory'), while horror also helped save the day and Disney dominated.
Pamela McClintock wrote:
Wall Street analyst Doug Cruetz of the Cowen Group says Hollywood studios are in the business of building franchises or relying on well known IP, but cautions they may want to re-evaluate their programming choices when rummaging through the vault.

“I’ve talked to people at these companies, and they all seem to think the problem is they are putting out bad movies, as opposed to the consumers are demanding change," he says. "I think they are in denial about what’s going. I don’t know what they can do other than shut down a studio or two."

Cruetz continues: “Just days after Lights Out or a Secret Life of Pets opens, a sequel is announced. They greenlight these movies without a script and say we need this movie in two or three years. It’s bad for the creative process. I don’t know that they have any other good options. In the old days, studios would have bad times and go bankrupt. Now they are owned by big conglomerates. They can lose money as far as they eye can see, but they are not going to go away."

"It’s tough out there," says Walt Disney Studios chairman Alan Horn. "I don’t think the competition for people’s time and attention has ever been more intense, and, simultaneously, as an industry we have a lot of films looking for a slice of the pie over the course of the summer. So whether it’s a franchise film or a brand-new concept, it is absolutely essential that we create compelling content that gets people to stop everything else they’re doing and go to the theater."

He continues: "It’s no secret that we at Disney have embraced a tentpole strategy. In light of the competition I refer to above, it does feel as if tentpoles represent a relatively more compelling value. We have a unique structure at this company which enables us to generate more of these kinds of movies than other studios."

Disney's winning streak isn't just about the summer. To date, the studio claims the top-four grossing films of the year. In addition to Civil War and Finding Dory, there's Zootopia and The Jungle Book.

"This summer there have simply been too many sequels, reboots, remakes and even re-quels that have failed to measure up to audience expectations," says box-office analyst Paul Dergarabedian. "This has created a negative perception of what Hollywood has to offer, and despite solid overall revenues and what will likely be the second-biggest summer on record, a long-term trend like this could erode goodwill and consumer enthusiasm over time."

Warner Bros.' summer, which saw definite improvement over summer 2015, has been the master of horror and comedy.

Attention was focused on its tentpoles. Suicide Squad has grossed $636 million to date worldwide, making it the No. 5 title of the summer, and The Legend of Tarzan did better than expected ($352.7 million).
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Return to Movie Discussion