Batman v. Superman: DAWN OF JUSTICE!!! (seriously)

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Batman v. Superman: DAWN OF JUSTICE!!! (seriously)

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:57 pm

Comic-Con 2013: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’
Nicole Sperling wrote:Warner Bros. is about to bring together two of its most iconic heroes: Superman and Batman will unite in a new film, the follow-up to “Man of Steel,” set for release in 2015.

According to two sources with knowledge of the movie, Warner Bros. intends to announce the news at its Comic-Con International panel Saturday morning. Said a Warner Bros. spokesperson, “We don’t comment on rumors regarding these properties.”

“Man of Steel” director Zack Snyder is expected to reunite with screenwriter David S. Goyer and star Henry Cavill for the new film. It’s unlikely Christian Bale will step back into the bat suit, as the actor has indicated publicly that he has moved on from his days as Bruce Wayne.

“Man of Steel” producer and “Dark Knight” trilogy director Christopher Nolan is expected by some to produce the project, but the exact nature of his involvement is unclear.

The move marks the culmination of years of effort on the part of Warner Bros. and DC Comics to bring their superheroes together in a similar fashion to their primary competitor Marvel, which successfully combined its superheroes into a $1.5-billion box-office hit with “The Avengers.”

In the comic world, the two heroes are teaming up in a new series, “Batman/Superman,” by writer Greg Pak and artist Jae Lee.
Last edited by TheButcher on Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Superman & Batman

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:19 pm

Superman & Batman Film Set for Comic-Con Reveal
Zach Snyder will direct the follow-up to his "Man of Steel" in 2015 with a tentative plan for "Flash" and "Justice League" movies to follow in 2016 and 2017, sources confirm to THR.
Borys Kit wrote:After decades of fighting evil solo, Batman and Superman will finally be teaming up on the big screen, multiple sources confirm to The Hollywood Reporter.

Snyder's Man of Steel, which rebooted the Superman franchise, has grossed north of $600 million worldwide since it hit theaters this June.

Batman and Superman have a long history in of teaming up in the comic book universe. Starting in 1954, D.C. published a comic titled Worlds Finest, which featured the two as best pals who joined forces.

The dynamic between the two changed with Frank Miller’s 1986 The Dark Knight mini-series in which the two were on opposite sides of the philosophical and political fence.

Since then, that sort of antagonism has permeated most of the stories of them working together.

The LA Times first reported the news of the Batman & Superman film.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:00 pm

Bleeding Cool:
It’s Official: Warner Bros. Announce Batman-Superman Movie
Brendon Connelly wrote:Warner Bros. ended their panel with a big surprise, or two. After Tom Cruise and company had shuffled away, out came Zack Snyder to take the chairman’s lectern.

“Some shit is gonna happen up here,” he said. And then it did. Snyder started by telling us that it’s official that there’s going to be another Superman movie… and then bringing out Harry Lennix, the actor from Man of Steel, to tell us that Batman is in it.

Lennix read from The Dark Knight Returns and that sealed it. And there it was, a logo on screen mixing the S shield and Batman logo.

And Hall H lost their minds. People were on their feet and screaming – literally screaming – and the girl next to me was in floods of tears.

Do note that the passage Lennix read was the following one, sugesting that Batman and Superman might not be the best of friends in the new movie:
I want you to remember, Clark… in all the years to come, in your most private moments, I want you to remember my hand at your throat. I want you to remember the one man who beat you…

Warner Bros. Announce Zack Snyder And David Goyer Writing Batman-Superman For 2014 Shoot
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:11 pm

Comic Con 2013: "Man Of Steel 2" Featuring Batman Soars Summer 2015

Think McFly Think Exclusive Fri, August 12, 2011:
WB Quietly Developing Batman/Superman Movie
Jamie Williams wrote:As recently as last March, Warner Brothers head-kahuna Jeff Robinov told Hero Complex they were getting the ball rolling on Justice League for 2013 and a post-Christopher Nolan Batman movie of some kind with Nolan and his wife Emma Thomas playing a hand as producers, a la their participation on The Man of Steel. Since Zack Snyder's Superman reboot got pushed back from Christmas 2012 to Summer 2013, don't count on seeing Justice League two years from now and no telling how soon we'd see the first Bats flick following Nolan's swan-song The Dark Knight Rises.

Sources tell TMT WB is keen on getting a Justice League movie going and still high on The Flash despite Green Lantern being neither the critical or commercial success they'd hoped for nor was it embraced by fans. But the studio is also quietly developing a Batman/Superman team-up movie.

Similar to Justice League, the Brothers Warner has wanted to get their two biggest superheroes on the same screen together for years. The closest it came to fruition was Batman vs. Superman with Wolfgang Peterson-directing from a script by Andrew Kevin Walker. That fell apart as we all know, but executives loved that script.

In a classic case of covering your ass, what we're hearing is two separate incarnations are being tooled. One version where the World's Greatest Detective is firmly established and helps mentor an up-and-coming, fresh-faced Supes and vice versa. Essentially, they're hoping they can woo Christian Bale back into the cape-and-cowl for a fourth time and in case the Oscar-winner tells them, "No thanks, I'm done!", they'll go for a new actor altogether. Both versions would feature Henry Cavill's Last Son of Krypton.

Are these plans definite? No, as we mentioned earlier WB, by their own admission, is back into the Justice League mind-set in addition to The Flash, another iteration of Batman, a hypothetical The Man of Steel sequel (Of course, that depends on how the first movie does plus any outcome to the Shuster/Siegel court-cases), etc.

A lot of this is due to their non-definitive plans after 2013. Unlike Marvel who has their shit in order so much so they just announced two "mystery" movies for Summer 2014. So God only knows what we'll end up seeing from them after The Man of Steel.

From AICN Jul 11, 2002:
MTV.COM Gets Petersen To Spill More BATMAN VS. SUPERMAN Details!!
From MTV Jul 10 2002:
'Batman Vs. Superman' Director Hints At What To Expect From Superhero Struggle - Caped Crusader, Man of Steel expected to do battle on big screen in 2004.
Ryan J. Downey wrote:In what could be the biggest cinematic battle since King Kong wrestled Godzilla in 1962's "Kingukongu tai Gojira," the Caped Crusader will square off against the Man of Steel in "Batman vs. Superman."

"[It's] never happened before," said Wolfgang Petersen, who plans to direct (or is that referee?) the movie. "You had it in some of the comic books, but never on the big screen. They're so different. ... It sets up great material for drama."

Petersen's no stranger to drama, as the German-born director helmed "Air Force One" and "In the Line of Fire." He's now working on a story by "Seven" scribe Andrew Kevin Walker that pits the two iconic heroes against each other during a time of crisis. And though Petersen is reluctant to spill many secrets, he has promised that "Batman vs. Superman" will contain villains, lots of action and absolutely no Robin.

"I cannot tell you what really gets them together. I can say that much of [the conflict] is because of the different philosophies that they represent," the director said. "Superman represents sort of everything clear and bright and noble. He represents our hopes and ideals. Batman, on the other hand, represents the dark and obsessive and vengeful side.

"The plot is structured in a way that these two very different sides basically of the same coin have to clash at some point because they handle situations totally differently. ... For a large portion of the thing they are at each other's throats. But then, of course, because they are both crime fighters, they join forces again and fight evil."

Petersen, who has yet to cast anyone, said he wants serious actors and not action stars to assume the title roles.

"We have a script that really very, very much concentrates on the characters," he said. "It's really material for two great actors."

Though he mentioned Matt Damon in an interview with Variety, Petersen said he only cited the "Bourne Identity" star as an example of what he's talking about — "Someone where we so far did not really think of as a big action hero [who] turned out be a great actor who can also do great action. ... He's one of these kind of guys, but there's a lot of these guys out there."

And a lot of guys, including Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer and George Clooney, have previously portrayed Batman on the big screen. Christopher Reeve, of course, played Superman in four well-known films. Petersen said "Batman vs. Superman" will steer clear of the conventions laid down in each film series, though he admitted some degree of influence from the DC Comics series "World's Finest."

"I love [the Batman and Superman films] very, very much," Petersen said. "Especially in both cases the first two. I saw them over and over again. ... ['Batman vs. Superman'] is part of the lore of the Superman films and the Superman comics and the same with Batman, but it's also different. First of all, the dynamics are different because if they are in one movie together it changes a lot of things and it gives you a new perspective on superheroes. ... You have also the look and feel of Metropolis, the bright golden city, and the feel of Gotham, which is a shadowy, sinister city, in the same movie. This is Superman/Batman of the time after September 11th, also. It takes place in today or tomorrow's world."

"Batman vs. Superman" has long been one of many projects involving the two titans in development at Warner Bros., which owns the rights to all of DC Comics' heroes. The "Superman Lives" project, which had Tim Burton ("Batman"), Nicolas Cage and Kevin Smith ("Clerks") all attached at various times, has long been dormant. But a spokesperson for Darren Aronofsky ("Requiem for a Dream") has confirmed the filmmaker's plans to make "Batman: Year One." There is also a "Catwoman" flick in the works with Ashley Judd in the lead role, and there's talk of a live-action movie based on the "Batman Beyond" cartoon (see ).

Although those movies — as well as other comic-inspired flicks like "Daredevil" (see ) and "The Punisher" (see "Punisher Is Next Comic Hero Headed For Big Screen") — have received a boost in the buzz department thanks to the $400 million box office success of "Spider-Man," Petersen said "Batman vs. Superman" will be very different from Tobey Maguire's record-breaking blockbuster.

" 'Spider-Man' has a very sweet and light touch to it and is very romantic with Kirsten Dunst and Tobey," Petersen said. "Ours will be more dramatic. What 'Spider-Man' did quite good was the swinging Spider-Man through New York. Our thing, with Superman flying, will be an unbelievable, amazing new experience that you've never, ever seen before, because it's a long time ago with the 'Superman' films."

Petersen is eyeing a 2004 release for "Batman vs. Superman."

From AICN Aug 08, 2001:
WORLD'S FINEST - Batman & Superman Film to be Directed By DAS BOOT fella - Wolfgang Petersen!!!

From AICN Aug 12, 2001:
Casting RUMOR about who would play Superman in the Wolfgang Petersen film WORLD'S FINEST

From AICN Jul 24, 2002:
Gigolo Joe as SUPERMAN -- Bullseye as BATMAN!!!

From AICN Aug 12, 2002:
Why Jude Law Left Warners' BATMAN VS SUPERMAN And Who Replaced Him!

From AICN Apr 08, 2003:
So what did Alan Horn have to say about THE MATRIX, SUPERMAN, BATMAN and SUPERMAN VS BATMAN'
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:02 pm

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby RogueScribner on Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:39 am

I'll repeat my tweet:

Man of Steel 2 plot: Batman hunts down Superman to hold him accountable for all the death and destruction he caused in the first movie.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Peven on Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:32 pm

should be a helluva movie, especially if they follow through with the premise of that quote from Miller's Dark Knight Returns , which is what they say will be the "starting point" for the film.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:39 pm

This is how I feel about this announcement:
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Spandau Belly on Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:57 pm

Can one of you guys who reads the comics tell me how they manage to make Batman relevant when he's in the same story as Superman? He just seems like he would be ridiculously underpowered.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby minstrel on Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:03 am

I don't read the comics, but I assume Batman has to be around to save Superman from Captain Kryptonite.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Al Shut on Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:09 am

They can have discussions about ethics.

As the worlds greatest detective Batman is obviously much smarter than Superman.

*I haven't read much of the comics either
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby travis-dane on Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:09 am

Spandau Belly wrote:Can one of you guys who reads the comics tell me how they manage to make Batman relevant when he's in the same story as Superman? He just seems like he would be ridiculously underpowered.

Watch the DC animated two part movie called THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS. There you can see how Batman kicks Supermans ass.
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby minstrel on Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:02 am

travis-dane wrote:
Spandau Belly wrote:Can one of you guys who reads the comics tell me how they manage to make Batman relevant when he's in the same story as Superman? He just seems like he would be ridiculously underpowered.

Watch the DC animated two part movie called THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS. There you can see how Batman kicks Supermans ass.

This is not possible. Was Clark Kent wearing Batman's costume?

If Batman can kick Superman's ass, he ought to wipe the floor with Darkseid and Doomsday. I don't see it happening.
minstrel

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:01 pm

They usually imply that Batman doesn't want Superman involved on his patch around Gotham, unless he really needs help.

Also, it's usually Batman who, as a human, somewhat keeps the rest of the metahumans in check in various ways.

Otherwise, yes, in lots of the scenarios presented Batman would be massively underpowered without the help of others. And Superman could easily kill Batman if he wasn't usually restrained in some manner.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:19 pm

minstrel wrote:
travis-dane wrote:

If Batman can kick Superman's ass, he ought to wipe the floor with Darkseid and Doomsday. I don't see it happening.

Batman killed Darkseid, actually. /combicbooknerd?
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby SooperPooperScooper on Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:25 pm

you're an idiot
SooperPooperScooper
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:45 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:
minstrel wrote:
travis-dane wrote:

Batman killed Darkseid, actually. /combicbooknerd?

He didn't die though, because of all the people he'd suckered with the anti-life equation. /comicbooknerd
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:57 pm

Ah, thanks for the correction! Still more than Superman ever did, no? :D
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby minstrel on Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:04 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:Batman killed Darkseid, actually. /combicbooknerd?

I never read these comics. How, exactly, did Batman kill Darkseid? Please tell me he didn't steal some kind of super-advanced alien Ultimate Weapon and use it against Darkseid, 'cause that would suck.
minstrel

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:25 pm

I think he made him say his name backwards or something.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:56 pm

minstrel wrote:

I never read these comics. How, exactly, did Batman kill Darkseid? Please tell me he didn't steal some kind of super-advanced alien Ultimate Weapon and use it against Darkseid, 'cause that would suck.

HAHA, stealing an advanced alien super weapon is PRECISELY how he (almost) did it!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:54 am

Official: Superman Sequel Will Feature Batman In “One Explosive New Film”
The new film brings back Charles Roven and Deborah Snyder as producers. This time, Christopher Nolan and Emma Thomas are serving as executive producers, along with Benjamin Melniker and Michael E. Uslan.

So Thomas Tull is not producing obviously.
Where is Jon Peters?
'Man of Steel': How Jon Peters Could Earn $15 Million -- for Doing Nothing
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:10 am

i think the movie will primarily consist of superman tossing batman at various villains and things.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:15 am

In terms of intellect, Batman is one of the sharpest mofos in the DC universe. If they bring Brainiac into the picture, which kinda makes sense given the scifi skew of Man of Steel (a very welcome aspect by me), then Batman would certainly be useful strategically. Then Superman can fly around and start punching things! :)
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:16 pm

minstrel wrote:

Batman shot him. With a bullet.*

* it was some kind of special super alien tech bullet that had been chasing various people through spacetime or some shit like that.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby SooperPooperScooper on Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:20 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
minstrel wrote:

Batman shot him. With a bullet.*

it was some kind of special super alien tech bullet that had been chasing various people through spacetime or some shit like that.

STOP SPOILING THINGS!!!!!!
SooperPooperScooper
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:56 am

Didn't they shoot Captain America with that?!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:45 pm

Tyler Hoechlin tipped to play Bruce Wayne in Superman/Batman film
Tyler Hoechlin is the first name to have been linked to the role of Bruce Wayne in the new Superman/Batman film.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:28 am

TheButcher wrote:Tyler Hoechlin tipped to play Bruce Wayne in Superman/Batman film
Tyler Hoechlin is the first name to have been linked to the role of Bruce Wayne in the new Superman/Batman film.

i'm probably the only person here who still watches Teen Wolf, so i'll go ahead and say that this casting would be.... possibly not terrible.
this guy's ok... he's no christian bale or anything, but he could probably pull off the dark brooding thing. and he's got the *ahem* physique for the role. i don't know if he's got the Punky Power though. and i'd be surprised that they wouldn't go for a bigger name.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:13 pm

Zack Snyder Meeting With Frank Miller To Discuss BATMAN/SUPERMAN Movie
Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns is said to be "informing" the storyline for the planned Batman/Superman movie, and now the comic book writer/artist is said to be meeting with director Zack Snyder soon to discuss the highly anticipated follow-up to Man Of Steel.
Paul Romano wrote:Fans were through the roof with excitement when it was revealed a couple weeks ago at San Diego Comic-Con that the Man Of Steel sequel/follow-up will in fact be a Batman/Superman film (rumored to be titled Batman Vs. Superman). Included in the announcement was a quote from Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns (which director Zack Snyder said will "inform" the movie's storyline) read by actor Harry Lennix. It turns out that the acclaimed comic book writer and artist wasn't aware of the announcement beforehand, and was surprised to hear it. Independent reports that Miller will be meeting with Snyder soon to discuss the project, and a source of the author tells the site, "Frank had no idea the announcement in San Diego was going to happen so it did come as a surprise. He’s going to be meeting up with Zack in the next few days to go over the plans for the Superman film so things should be clearer after that." What do you think of this news?

Set to begin filming early next year (reportedly in Toronto) for a Summer 2015 release, Warner Bros.' untitled Batman/Superman movie currently stars Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Laurence Fishburne and Diane Lane. The new cinematic take on Batman has yet to be cast. Zack Snyder is directing from a script by David S. Goyer.

Source: Independent
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Superman & Older Batman

Postby TheButcher on Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:16 am

RUMOR: Batman to be Older in BATMAN VS. SUPERMAN
Bill "Jett" Ramey wrote: If this comes to pass, then Bat-Fans of my vintage will certainly dig the casting of the new Batman!

According to several (more than 1, less than 10 *wink*) unrelated BOF sources, the new Batman that will appear in the MAN OF STEEL sequel, will be older. Like mid-40s older.

That tells me that we’re definitely not getting a rookie Batman – this new Batman will be a grizzled veteran who has been on the job, if you will, for several years.

So who is going to play the new Batman/Bruce Wayne? I will not confirm or deny whether or not I’ve heard any names, but I will say that fans should start thinking about dudes who are a very good actors and are in their 40s, like…

Josh Duhamel, Jude Law, Gerard Butler, Josh Brolin, Jon Hamm, Brad Pitt, Ben Affleck, Jim Caviezel, etc.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Spandau Belly on Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:45 am

I think Brolin is actually a really good choice to play Batman.

But my question: After Bale, do people now expect the silly voice? If Brolin or whoever plays Batman puts on the mask and speaks in a relatively normal voice and not that that absurdly raspy voice, will audiences feel like something is missing?
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:02 am

They should have Joseph Gordon-Levitt be Batman.

And then when he meets Superman, he can say "You're an orphan, aren't you? I can just see it in your eyes."
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby SooperPooperScooper on Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:59 pm

stop banging on about bale's voice like it was so important about him.
SooperPooperScooper
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Al Shut on Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:06 pm

the voice was important, the era of silent movies is long gone
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby SooperPooperScooper on Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:14 pm

it was such a fucking tiny element of Bales overall performance. let it go.

and fuck off!
SooperPooperScooper
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby TheButcher on Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:47 pm

'Man of Steel 2' Seeking 40-ish Batman: The Early Contenders
Josh Brolin, Joe Manganiello, Richard Armitage? These actors and more are in the hunt as speculation over casting the new Dark Knight begins.
Who will play Batman?

That's the big question gripping the fanboy world ever since Warner Bros. and DC announced at Comic-Con that the two iconic heroes will team up for the Man of Steel sequel.

On Thursday, the L.A. Times posited 16 faces and conducted a popularity poll. The list was all over the map, from TV stars such as Jensen Ackles and Andrew Lincoln to next generation stars Ryan Gosling and Joseph Gordon-Levitt to outliers like Simon Pegg and Daniel Dae Kim.

The poll might be fun, but The Hollywood Reporter is hearing that a totally different set of names are in the mix.

irst, some words of caution. The script is still being written, so nothing has been submitted formally to reps and actors. Two, according to sources, director Zack Snyder is only just beginning to look at actors.

But the real insight is the kind of Bruce Wayne/Batman that Snyder is looking to cast. According to numerous sources, this Wayne/Batman will be in the late 30s or around the 40 mark. He will be established and rugged. This new movie will not seek to recount an origin story or the rise of the Dark Knight. Christian Bale, The Dark Knight trilogy Batman, has said he won't return for another film.

Sources say the new movie is aiming for the tone of the relationship and fight seen in Frank Miller’s 1980s ground-breaking mini-series The Dark Knight Returns (How important is that work? Important enough that the cover to issue No. 2 sold Friday at a Heritage Auction for $478,000.)

Enough with the preamble. Here are the top names surfacing at this stage:

Josh Brolin, 46 -- Warner Bros likes him a lot. He starred in the studio’s Gangster Squad, and that’s after he toplined the studio’s 2010 dud Jonah Hex. He's also attached to star in Warners' Quasimodo project as well as Crazy for the Storm. Plus, he already has a Frank Miller connection: he leads the cast of Sin City: A Dame to Kill For, Robert Rodriguez’s upcoming take on the Miller crime comics.

(Two sources say Brolin is the frontrunner at this stage, but a studio source dismisses the chatter, saying that the casting process hasn't even begun.)

Ryan Gosling, 32 -- Yes, Brolin's Gangster Squad co-star appears to be in the mix. He may be younger than the rest, he may be prettier than the rest, but no one questions his acting chops.

Other contenders:

Joe Manganiello, 36 -- According to several insiders, Snyder liked him as a possible Superman for Man of Steel before settling on Henry Cavill, but one major stumbling block was the schedule that Alan Ball had him on for filming True Blood, the HBO vampire series in which Manganiello plays a werewolf.

Richard Armitage, 41 -- The British actor appeared in TV’s Strike Back, but may be best known to audiences for playing Thorin in the Hobbit movie for Warners' New Line division. He will reprise the characters for the second and third installments.

Max Martini, 43 -- He cut his teeth playing tough guys on TV in shows such as Revenge, Castle and Hawaii Five-O but won notice as a sacrificing father in Pacific Rim and will play a Navy SEAL commander in this fall's Captain Phillips.

Matthew Goode, 35 -- He’s already worked with Snyder in the director's 2009 film Watchmen, in which he played Ozymandias.

One insider says that any talk of casting is premature since the script isn't yet written. But that has not stopped studio insiders from whispering names or preventing agencies from drawing up lists of their best faces. Another insider scoffs "You might as well put Adam West in this list" and suggests that a left-of-center choice still could emerge.

Casting is likely to solidify in the coming weeks as Warner Bros wants to shoot the movie in early 2014 for a 2015 release.

From Cinemablend 11/07/2010:
Flash Thompson May Be Superman
THR 011/30/2011:
How Henry Cavill Beat Matthew Goode and Others to Land 'Superman'
Borys Kit wrote: The veil of secrecy over the Superman casting process was such a Fortress of Solitude that not even Henry Cavill nor his CAA agents knew the actor had gotten the role in Warner Bros.' Zack Snyder-directed, Christopher Nolan-produced movie until Sunday morning.

The British actor, best known for his work on Showtime's period drama The Tudors, was in the top three or four contenders since Day 1, says one insider, somewhat fitting since the 27-year old has tried out for superhero roles before.

Cavill was a leading contender for Superman when Warners was reviving the franchise in the mid-2000s. He was on McG's shortlist before the director was replaced by Bryan Singer and the role went to Brandon Routh, and Cavill first came to Nolan's attention when he vied for the role of Bruce Wayne opposite Christian Bale in Nolan’s Batman Begins.

According to sources, Cavill's closest competitor this time around was Matthew Goode, another British actor who was one of the stars of Snyder and Warners' Watchmen comic book movie (he played genius entrepreneur Ozymandias.) Goode was also in contention for the title role in Fox’s Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter and is said to have taken himself out of that race in order to focus on Superman.

Warners and Nolan auditioned actors in Los Angeles, New York, and London in November and December, with someone in the 28- to 32-year-old range as the ideal candidate. In addition to Cavill and Goode, among those who met or were under consideration were White Collar star Matthew Bomer, Social Network's Winkelvoss twins Armie Hammer, True Blood actor Joe Manganiello (scheduling with the HBO show was a factor) and Colin O’Donaghue, who stars opposite Anthony Hopkins in The Rite.

Cavill was invited for a callback in January, where he met Snyder face-to-face for the first time, according to a source.

The final decision came down last week, and the Nolan secrecy machine was in such force that only a handful of execs knew the choice. In fact, many top Warners execs found out only after Cavill had been called Sunday morning.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:20 am

Spandau Belly wrote:I think Brolin is actually a really good choice to play Batman.

But my question: After Bale, do people now expect the silly voice? If Brolin or whoever plays Batman puts on the mask and speaks in a relatively normal voice and not that that absurdly raspy voice, will audiences feel like something is missing?

they can always just hire harvey fierstein to dub those lines.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Re: Superman & Batman (The Man of Dark Night Steel?)

Postby TheButcher on Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:51 pm

CBM:
RUMOR: Zack Snyder Considering WATCHMEN Star Jeffrey Dean Morgan For BATMAN
A new report claims that Watchmen and Supernatural actor Jeffrey Dean Morgan is meeting with Zack Snyder about possibly reteaming with the director for the role of 'Batman' in 2015's Man of Steel sequel which will pit the Caped Crusader against Superman.

Could Jeffrey Dean Morgan Be Up For Batman?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:47 pm

Christian Bale Reportedly Offered $50 Million To Reprise Batman
El Mayimbe wrote:Is it possible that Christian Bale is still not done donning the cape the cowl?

According to a new ebook, “Beyond Batman: The Unauthorized True Story of Christian Bale and His Dark Knight Dilemma” this may be the case.

The book cites sources close to Legendary Pictures that asserts Bale may have “no choice” but to don the cowl at least one more time.

According to the publisher of “Beyond Batman,” the Hollywood mega star likely won’t be able to refuse the potential $50 million payday that could come from playing Batman again.

Damn that is a lot of Bat bucks!

In my experience where there is smoke, there is fire. There is something in law called slander and no one would be stupid enough to put false information like this out there to make a quick profit and face a lawsuit no matter how many disclaimers the book has.

The book’s author Vince Russel says the following:
As the bat signal still glimmers with fervor above Bale’s Hollywood marquee, Christian Bale’s experience as the Batman of our generation is about to prove more inescapable than he expected. With three of the most successful Batman films in Hollywood history under his belt, Christian Bale is now facing extraordinary pressure to become The Dark Knight once again.

Could it be that Bale not sees the Batman films the way Robert Downey Jr sees the Iron Man films? The author adds:
“Although Downey has appeared as Tony Stark in four movies in less than a decade, he’s hardly typecast as Iron Man,” Russel says, “Downey has balanced his action film escapades with other projects that have harnessed his talents and earned critical acclaim in the process. If Bale follows a similar formula, his box office glory days may not be behind him – a reality that other men who have donned the black cape weren’t so fortunate to experience.”

The book at the end makes a ballsy claim. Christian Bale’s future success as a top Hollywood draw…
“…may need Batman every bit as much as the Batman franchise still needs Christian Bale.”

I don’t know about that. Christian is after all an Oscar winner. What do you cool kids think? Is this guy right or wrong? Chime in below. I’m doing my rounds and you know I am all over this story. The minute I know who the Goddamn Batman is, Bale or no Bale, I will let you all know.

Here is the book’s summary:
“Beyond Batman” is the unauthorized true story of Christian Bale and his real life Dark Knight dilemma.

As the bat signal still glimmers with fervor above Bale’s Hollywood marquee, this compelling, first-of-its-kind work recounts Christian Bale’s inescapable experience as the Batman of our generation.

With three of the most successful Batman films in Hollywood history under his belt, Christian Bale is now facing extraordinary pressure to become The Dark Knight once more in the forthcoming Justice League film.

This compelling read exposes how sources close to Christian Bale have reportedly begun expressing their suspicions that Bale now views the Batman films in the same light that Robert Downey, Jr. views the Iron Man films.

Although Downey has appeared as Tony Stark in four movies in less than a decade, he’s hardly typecast as Iron Man. Downey has balanced his action film escapades with other projects that have harnessed his talents and earned critical acclaim in the process.

If Bale follows a similar formula, his box office glory days may not be behind him – a reality that other men who have donned the black cape weren’t so fortunate to experience.

In the end, Christian Bale’s future success as a top Hollywood draw may need Batman every bit as much as the Batman franchise still needs Christian Bale.

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:53 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:53 pm

I hope Bale leaves Batman behind. I like him a lot as an actor and AMERICAN HUSTLE and that one where Casey Affleck gets chucked in a furnace both look like good movies. I think he's very versatile actor, he's got a great career ahead of him and he's by no means typecast.

He's got a good 'fuck you' attitude, too. So I can see him telling them to shove their $50 mill up their asses.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby TheButcher on Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:00 pm

The Wrap:
Legendary Trades 'Man of Steel' Sequel Stake for a Piece of Christopher Nolan's 'Interstellar'
Nolan's 2014 sci-fi original will keep Warners in business with Legendary as it transitions to Universal
Brent Lang wrote:Legendary Pictures will have a stake in Christopher Nolan's upcoming "Interstellar," and in return will bow out of Warner Bros. "Man of Steel" sequel, two individuals with knowledge of the situation confirmed

"Interstellar" is being co-produced by Paramount Pictures and Warner Bros. The move ensures that Legendary and Warner Bros. will remain in business together after their eight-year financing and co-production pact ends this year.

In July, Legendary entered into a five-year film partnership with Universal Pictures that will begin in 2014. Legendary worked out a deal to invest in a significant piece of "Interstellar" after it agreed to give up its stake in the Batman-meets-Superman sequel to "Man of Steel," one individual said.

"Interstellar" hinges on the use of wormholes for space travel and is currently shooting in Alberta, Canada. Jessica Chastain, Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway, Ellen Burstyn and Michael Caine star in the film, which will be released Nov. 7, 2014.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:03 pm

Geeks of Doom August 23rd, 2008:
‘Superman’ Has ‘Dark Knight’ Envy
Warner Bros. Pictures Group President Jeff Robinov spoke to WSJ about where the studio is going, where they want to be in a few years, and what their plans are for their DC Comics properties, such as the caped man in the spandex going darker on us right along with other heroes.
“‘Superman’ didn’t quite work as a film in the way that we wanted it to,” says Mr. Robinov. “It didn’t position the character the way he needed to be positioned. Had ‘Superman’ worked in 2006, we would have had a movie for Christmas of this year or 2009, but now the plan is just to reintroduce Superman… We’re going to try to go dark to the extent that the characters allow it.

THR 6/24/2013:
It's Official: Jeff Robinov Out at Warner Bros.

Thomas Tull '92 Discusses His Journey From Hamilton to Hollywood April 21, 2008
While he explained that Legendary focuses on commercial projects over independent films, he said that the company seeks to make the stories they tell "elevated" and take the source material seriously.

a Superman sequel (inWhich Tull hopes to invoke more of the image of "an angry god"),

THR 8/14/2013:
Legendary Scores Christopher Nolan's 'Interstellar' in Warner Bros. Divorce (Exclusive)
His "Dark Knight Rises" follow-up is one of several shared projects for the separated studios.
This story first appeared in the Aug. 23 issue of The Hollywood Reporter magazine.
Tatiana Siegel & Stephen Galloway wrote:Legendary Pictures and Warner Bros.' eight-year union was considered one of the more successful co-financing partnerships in Hollywood history. So it should come as no surprise that the two companies are working out some shared custody with their cinematic offspring.

Sources tell THR that before its June split with Warners, Legendary negotiated to retain a hefty stake in Christopher Nolan's sci-fi tentpole Interstellar, starring an ensemble including Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway and Casey Affleck. The arrangement still is being finalized, but sources say Legendary will finance 25 percent or more of the big-budget project, which began shooting Aug. 6 in Alberta, Canada. The move adds a third backer, along with Paramount, which will release the film domestically Nov. 7, 2014 (Warners is spearheading international).

Back in March, it was reported that Legendary would not have a financial role in Interstellar despite having helped bankroll Nolan's Batman trilogy as well as his megahit Inception. But when its Warner Bros. divorce proceedings began, Legendary came to the bargaining table with an option to board the follow-up to Man of Steel, which it helped finance. Sources say Warners CEO Kevin Tsujihara wanted to keep the studio's DC Comics properties to itself and instead offered Legendary a stake in Interstellar. Considering Nolan's last three films as a director (The Dark Knight, Inception and The Dark Knight Rises) have grossed nearly $3 billion worldwide combined, Legendary CEO Thomas Tull jumped at the opportunity.

Hopefully Superman can smile again. I don't want another dark Superman movie. Just say no to "BRRRRRRRAAAAAWWWWRWRRRMRMRMMRMRMMMMM!!!"*

* That's the sound of a Chris Nolan superhero movie.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fievel on Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:34 pm

Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:05 pm

I thought it was a joke story, but IT'S TRUE!!!! :shock:

I don't know if this is good or bad. Seriously. I think a lot of fanboys will hate it, though.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Ribbons on Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:35 pm

Will he try to do the Bale-voice? He probably shouldn't, but I hope he does.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:41 pm

Fievel wrote:Ben Affleck to Play Batman in Man of Steel Sequel

:shock:

Damon HAS to be Robin!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Robin Williams as Alfred.

"It wasn't your fault, Bruce."
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:56 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
Fievel wrote:Ben Affleck to Play Batman in Man of Steel Sequel

:shock:

Damon HAS to be Robin!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Robin Williams as Alfred.

"It wasn't your fault, Bruce."

Gold!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Re: Batman vs. Superman (Now with... Ben Affleck!?)

Postby Peven on Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:58 pm

I dig this choice, for various reasons....one of them being that watching fanboys lose their minds for the next couple years will be entertainment in and of itself :-P

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Next

Return to Movie Discussion