Apes-A-Poppin' 2

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: Apes-A-Poppin' 2

Postby so sorry on Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:26 am

TheButcher wrote:SPOILERS
DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES Footage Is SO AWESOME
Devin is absolutely blown away by Fox's reveal of footage from the APES sequel.



Can't wait to see it, althought that scene described about the guards and the ape...man that's fucking dumb. Assuming this takes place after the virus takes down the world and the chimps start a-poppin', I can't understand why those guards wouldn't just fucking shoot the chimp as soon as he approaches them. But I haven't seen it in context, so maybe it makes sense for some reason I don't understand...
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15549
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Re: Apes-A-Poppin' 2

Postby Peven on Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:58 am

very nice, I have been a believer in this incarnation of apes since I heard that Franco had been cast in the first movie, despite the widespread mocking and disdain most people on this and other sites held for it before they saw it. it is great to see that even though there were changes in who is involved with this movie that they aren't just trying to cash in with a sequel but continue to build the kind of story the first movie set up, promising something new for audiences who enjoyed the first movie.

I think this is may be part of a trend, it seems as if studios have woken up to the fact that just rehashing the first movie in cash-grab sequels doesn't make them as much money as allowing filmmakers to create true sequels which keep pushing the story forward. people like sequels because they become emotionally invested in characters and want to see what happens to them next, see how characters change with what they go through, except that the studios had been making sequels that didn't move characters forward, there was no arc, just a rehash of the first movie over and over. Die Hard is a perfect example, McClain never changes, he is the same guy in the last movie that he is the the first, and despite not having exactly the same kind of setting every movie is still the same, terrorist/crooks take something over and McClain has to almost single-handedly save the day. each sequel is just a redux. bleh. look at some other recent sequels and you see that things are looking up, Marvel has done an excellent job of it, I think. make the story about the characters, their arcs, it draws the audience in and makes the experience more lasting, instead of a purely fx, spectacle-driven movie that just don't sink in emotionally with audiences no matter how much they may ooohh and aaahhh in the theatre.
Last edited by Peven on Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14547
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Re: Apes-A-Poppin' 2

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:58 pm

Peven wrote:Die Hard is a perfect example, McClain never changes, he is the same guy in the last movie that he is the the first.


not true. in the first movie he had hair, now he's bald. that's some pretty deep character development there.
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 19037
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: Apes-A-Poppin' 2: Monkey Planet

Postby TheButcher on Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:09 am

Insect hunter George McGavin enters the planet of the apes
Kirsty Nutkins wrote:He is best known for his love of creepy-crawlies, presenting slots on The One Show, and nature series such as Miniature Britain.

But this week insect hunter George McGavin (above) returns to our screens in search of primates, in three-part documentary series Monkey Planet.

“The series is a celebration of the animal group to which we belong,” says George, who has a doctorate from the British Museum of Natural History and Imperial College, and was a lecturer at Oxford University.

George will explore the world of our closest relatives, analysing behaviour and brain function and the ways in which they interact. He will also look at similarities to humans, including an orang-utan that uses soap and teeth-flossing macaques.

Visiting 11 countries from Borneo to Ethiopia and Japan, George and his crew captured a host of diverse species in their natural habitats.

But like any wildlife documentary, the edited version that we see belies the hard work and patience of the crew who sometimes had to wait hours to capture just a few seconds of footage.

“It’s very rare you turn up and things just happen,” says George. “We spent a lot of time tracking the animals down and some are hellish to film – they’re so quick.

“At other times, we couldn’t find them at all. One frustrating day we waited seven hours. We’d planted honey in a tree log and were trying to lure in a chimpanzee, but he never came. To top it off we got drenched in a torrential shower.”

After an action-packed year filming for Monkey Planet, one might expect George to be taking some time off. But he already has plans for more series. He’d like to make another documentary on insects and arthropods – and something a little more offbeat.

“It sounds absolutely nuts, but I’d love to film a series on animal faeces. You can make so many discoveries by analysing it,” he says. “I’ve already got a working title for it – The Excrement Factor.”
User avatar
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR
 
Posts: 17418
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:02 am
Location: The Bureau of Sabotage

Grim & Gritty Jungle Book Reboot

Postby TheButcher on Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:30 am

It's Grim & Gritty Saturday In The Zone

Andy Serkis Talks ‘Dawn of the Planet of the Apes’ & His ‘Quite Dark Take’ on ‘The Jungle Book’
Mowgli gets eaten within the first 20 minutes!
User avatar
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR
 
Posts: 17418
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:02 am
Location: The Bureau of Sabotage

Re: Apes-A-Poppin' 2

Postby TheButcher on Thu May 01, 2014 3:18 pm

New Trailer Teaser For DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES Released
A new trailer for Matt Reeves' Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is set to be released next week, and 20th Century Fox have today unveiled a brief trailer tease which offers up a few brief never before seen (and very cool) snippets of footage from the sequel.
User avatar
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR
 
Posts: 17418
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:02 am
Location: The Bureau of Sabotage

Re: Apes-A-Poppin' 2

Postby TheBaxter on Thu May 01, 2014 4:52 pm

:roll:

this teaser for the trailer BS is really getting old.
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 19037
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: Apes-A-Poppin' 2

Postby so sorry on Thu May 08, 2014 12:19 pm

User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15549
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Re: Apes-A-Poppin' 2

Postby Peven on Thu May 08, 2014 7:40 pm

this is going to be good
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14547
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Re: Apes-A-Poppin' 2

Postby TheButcher on Fri May 09, 2014 4:06 pm

Peven wrote:this is going to be good

yeah
User avatar
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR
 
Posts: 17418
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:02 am
Location: The Bureau of Sabotage

Re: Apes-A-Poppin' 2

Postby Al Shut on Sat May 10, 2014 3:48 am

Looks great, I'll see it

is there anything more to say?
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
User avatar
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER
 
Posts: 6204
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:57 pm
Location: Oberhausen, Germany

Re: Apes-A-Poppin' 2

Postby Fried Gold on Sat May 10, 2014 8:27 pm

Apparently Apes-A-Poppin' 3 is already in the works. I wonder if this will lead into a new "Planet of the Apes".
User avatar
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 13930
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:28 pm
Location: ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Re: Apes-A-Poppin' 2

Postby Ribbons on Sun May 11, 2014 12:50 am

No, just a spin-off about the evil hobo humans
User avatar
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG
 
Posts: 13860
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:00 am

Re: Apes-A-Poppin' 2

Postby Peven on Sun May 11, 2014 8:10 pm

Ribbons wrote:No, just a spin-off about the evil hobo humans


already been done, called "The Road"
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14547
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Re: Apes-A-Poppin' 2

Postby Ribbons on Sun May 11, 2014 9:00 pm

lol, true
User avatar
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG
 
Posts: 13860
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:00 am

Re: Apes-A-Poppin' 2

Postby TheBaxter on Mon May 12, 2014 10:17 am

Fried Gold wrote:Apparently Apes-A-Poppin' 3 is already in the works. I wonder if this will lead into a new "Planet of the Apes".


no, they're throwing us for a loop. in a surprise ending, the 3rd movie will end up with the apes and humans making up and becoming friends, and revealing all along that this wasn't actually a "Planet of the Apes" prequel but instead a prequel to "Any Which Way But Loose".
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 19037
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: Apes-A-Poppin' 2

Postby Peven on Mon May 12, 2014 12:06 pm

i don't know where this movie is going to leave things but I think they should make movie #3 the redux of the original Planet of the Apes
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14547
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Re: Apes-A-Poppin'3

Postby TheButcher on Wed May 14, 2014 6:32 am

Talking Apes!
Talking Frogs!
Roddy Piper
&
A duck named Howard!

Hell Comes to the Planet of the Apes
User avatar
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR
 
Posts: 17418
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:02 am
Location: The Bureau of Sabotage

Re: Apes-A-Poppin' 2

Postby so sorry on Wed May 14, 2014 11:28 am

Peven wrote:i don't know where this movie is going to leave things but I think they should make movie #3 the redux of the original Planet of the Apes



Nah, they have to milk this goat for at least another movie before they do the "thousands of years in the future" redo of the original.
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15549
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Re: Apes-A-Poppin' 2

Postby Peven on Wed May 14, 2014 12:45 pm

so sorry wrote:
Peven wrote:i don't know where this movie is going to leave things but I think they should make movie #3 the redux of the original Planet of the Apes



Nah, they have to milk this goat for at least another movie before they do the "thousands of years in the future" redo of the original.


you can't have a Planet of the Apes movie without humans, and not the kind who are mute and primitive either, but humans we the audience can relate to, they are our way into the story. I am assuming the apes win in the end of this movie's conflict unless they are REALLY changing the story around. so what story does that leave them to tell next? redo this movie with another another last vestige of humanity standing up to and being defeated by ape might? nope. what event, what conflict will they have to build another movie around if they don't make the next one a redux of the original? some boring docu-drama depicting how ape society fully comes into being, maybe a story of their first continental congress? boooooring. the apes are watchable only because they exist on screen with humans we recognize as humans, take away all humans and you will be losing people's interest in the first 30 minutes. if you tell the story of how humans devolve into the primitives we find in the original then it becomes too depressing to sell as an action adventure movie for the masses. it is one thing to see humans being led by a flawed leader getting beaten by apes in a battle, it is something else to depict the human race falling back in the evolutionary race, beaten down as a whole to become just another species of animal in the forest. might make for a great book, but is a recipe for failure for a big budget summer movie.

no, the only logical next step is to make the next movie a remake of the original, give the audience enough credit not to feel the need to explain every little thing that happened between this movie and when the astronauts crash land. I would like to see mention of there being a second space launch in this movie somehow, even if seen on an old newspaper lying around or mentioned in passing, the way the first movie gave us the info about the first launch and disappearance in the background. that way they will have planted the seeds for a remake of Beneath the Planet of the Apes as well, which would really be a blast
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14547
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Re: Apes-A-Poppin' 2

Postby so sorry on Wed May 14, 2014 2:14 pm

What makes you think that all humans will be gone by the end of this movie? From what I gather, this movie takes place between the apes and a band of humans in the SF area. Whatever the outcome of this will be, it doesn't mean the end of humanity globally. Maybe the next movie could be an all out global-type war, I don't know. But I think Hollywood could definetly squeeze out one more before they go total ape and mutey primitive humans.

Side note: I think the last trailer showed more about the story than all the previous ones. I didn't realize that Commissioner Gordon was a bad guy, looking to eradicate the apes. The set up looks like apes are living peacefully, some of them (that really tortured chimp) are more aggressive, but Caesar holds them in check perhaps, but once Beethoven shows up and starts trouble, Caesar goes postal on this particular human population. And in the end, what we will see is a rag tag group of humans (the ones that weren't assholes) retreating from the apes.

Maybe.
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15549
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Re: Apes-A-Poppin' 2

Postby Peven on Wed May 14, 2014 3:52 pm

of course humans aren't all gone, they are there in the beginning of the original Planet of the Apes so we know they don't go extinct. I guess if they wanted to do a more global story the next time out they could but I don't see how that would work, how a story like that would be played, considering there wouldn't be modern means of transportation or communication judging by the scenes shown in the trailers for this movie. how do you depict a global ape vs man conflict where events and characters aren't tied together somehow? and considering that the only apes that are "special" are the ones who were exposed to the "serum" and they don't reproduce much faster than humans if at all, so it isn't as if it is realistic to think that small population grew enough to take over the world in a matter of years, or even decades. in fact, there is nothing in the original movie that says the whole world is populated with intelligent apes, just that one particular area, so I don't see where the story would be in relating what happens after this movie ends but before where the original Apes story starts. this movie is going to depict an example of the last vestiges of "civilized" humans and the apes' triumph over them.

what story comes next that would be viable to put on the screen? there is no massive global conflict to relate, no other "special" apes than those in northern California exist. the story has got to be "small", one of the things Burton's Apes got really wrong is that he had no feel for the franchise and he tried to make it a big spectacle movie. the Apes movies that have been best were the ones that told a story about a small group of characters and focused on them, the original only had 4 characters that had substantial screen time, the latest reboot had only a handful of characters as well, a fairly small story.

now, it is easy, and cliche, to be cynical and claim Hollywood will just sell out the franchise for as much $$ as they can without worrying about quality, but that kind of view was the one that led so many here to dismiss the first reboot before it came out, and with this movie looking as good as it does so far why cling to the idea that those in charge of this franchise are going to sell out and forget what has been working for them so far?
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14547
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Re: Apes-A-Poppin' 2

Postby so sorry on Wed May 14, 2014 4:56 pm

Peven wrote:and considering that the only apes that are "special" are the ones who were exposed to the "serum" and they don't reproduce much faster than humans if at all, so it isn't as if it is realistic to think that small population grew enough to take over the world in a matter of years, or even decades. in fact, there is nothing in the original movie that says the whole world is populated with intelligent apes, just that one particular area, so I don't see where the story would be in relating what happens after this movie ends but before where the original Apes story starts. this movie is going to depict an example of the last vestiges of "civilized" humans and the apes' triumph over them.


Well I guess we'll find out about all that. I guess this is where I begin to lose my suspension of disbelief. IF the only intelligent apes are in the SF area, and the virus wipes out 99% of the human population of the world, the remaining humans still greatly outnumber the damn-dirty apes. Why would the remaining humans regress to the point of being overrun by a few hundred apes in California? I think they've got to come up with a better reason why Apes take over the planet, before we get to The Planet Of the Apes.

Peven wrote:what story comes next that would be viable to put on the screen?


Ape on ape battle royale? Beats me, I'm not a script writer. But like I said, I don't think its out of the realm of possibility that they would want to end the current timeline with one more film (old Caesar reflecting on whether or not what he did was right), then start a new trilogy set in the distant future.

Peven wrote:now, it is easy, and cliche, to be cynical and claim Hollywood will just sell out the franchise for as much $$ as they can without worrying about quality, but that kind of view was the one that led so many here to dismiss the first reboot before it came out, and with this movie looking as good as it does so far why cling to the idea that those in charge of this franchise are going to sell out and forget what has been working for them so far?


Its easy and cliche because its true for most franchise films. You're kidding me with this "quality over quantity" thing right? There's been one successful film in the current franchise, but its not like it was on the mega movie level. Christ, even Peter Jackson went overboard after such a promising start the the LOTR films.
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15549
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Re: Apes-A-Poppin' 2

Postby Peven on Wed May 14, 2014 6:56 pm

so sorry wrote:
Peven wrote:now, it is easy, and cliche, to be cynical and claim Hollywood will just sell out the franchise for as much $$ as they can without worrying about quality, but that kind of view was the one that led so many here to dismiss the first reboot before it came out, and with this movie looking as good as it does so far why cling to the idea that those in charge of this franchise are going to sell out and forget what has been working for them so far?


Its easy and cliche because its true for most franchise films. You're kidding me with this "quality over quantity" thing right? There's been one successful film in the current franchise, but its not like it was on the mega movie level. Christ, even Peter Jackson went overboard after such a promising start the the LOTR films.


the entire LOTR trilogy was great, so I am not sure what you are referring to there, ROTK was an excellent movie and anyone who thinks it was a "cash grab" needs to put their helmet back on and find their seat on the short bus. He was overindulgent in his production of King Kong but that was the opposite of being a cash grab, it was an attempt to make something he loved, he was trying to make it as good as he could, and he didn't make a sequel. but this IS why I despise shit movies like the Expendables franchise and those who produce them, it only adds to the cynicism of moviegoers' perception that movies are just a product made for consumers, like a BigMac. call me old fashioned but I like to think there are people in the business who actually care about the work they do in larger terms than the $$ they make for it. and dare I say, they actually care about trying to produce quality as much as getting their paycheck. those who made the Apes reboot obviously cared more about quality than just selling out for the cash, this sequel looks to have been made with the same care for quality, so why wouldn't I be hopeful that a third would continue the same way especially if this sequel is successful?

if you only expect commercial drivel from filmmakers than you only deserve commercial drivel
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14547
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Re: Apes-A-Poppin' 2

Postby so sorry on Thu May 15, 2014 9:37 am

Peven wrote:the entire LOTR trilogy was great, so I am not sure what you are referring to there, ROTK was an excellent movie and anyone who thinks it was a "cash grab" needs to put their helmet back on and find their seat on the short bus.


I consider the decision to make the Hobbit a trilogy a bad one, and one made with $ signs in mind. Maybe you believe that Pete just had too much good stories to tell so he needed to stretch into three flicks, but I certainly didn't. Maybe he just hates his home life and relishes spending every waking minute in the studio, beats me. But what I saw was the opportunity for a great film (maybe two), stretched into three movies unnecessarily, and as far as i can see this decision wasn't made with "quality" in mind, but "quantity". As far as the LoTR series, I've made my feelings know plenty of times here: I think the Fellowship is a spectacular film, one I would probably put in my top ten, and the next two movies got progressively worse, by becoming progressively excessive (surfing Legolas, I'm looking at you). No need for a retort, we obviously don't agree on this one.



Peven wrote:call me old fashioned but I like to think there are people in the business who actually care about the work they do in larger terms than the $$ they make for it. and dare I say, they actually care about trying to produce quality as much as getting their paycheck. those who made the Apes reboot obviously cared more about quality than just selling out for the cash, this sequel looks to have been made with the same care for quality, so why wouldn't I be hopeful that a third would continue the same way especially if this sequel is successful?


Of course there are people who care about their work, enough so to forgo mass produced shit for quality film making. I never said there wasn't. I'm curious why do you think that those who made the first Apes reboot cared so much about it, moreso than any other filmmaker (Stallone excluded :? )? It didn't strike me as some passion project, or one that was incredibly deep and thought provoking. It was a risky summer blockbuster film that ended up doing real well. Don't you think its possible that they can make a third movie with the same quality while still being in it for the money? They don't have to be mutually exclusive.
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15549
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Re: Apes-A-Poppin' 2

Postby TheBaxter on Thu May 15, 2014 10:12 am

so sorry wrote:
Peven wrote:call me old fashioned but I like to think there are people in the business who actually care about the work they do in larger terms than the $$ they make for it. and dare I say, they actually care about trying to produce quality as much as getting their paycheck. those who made the Apes reboot obviously cared more about quality than just selling out for the cash, this sequel looks to have been made with the same care for quality, so why wouldn't I be hopeful that a third would continue the same way especially if this sequel is successful?


Of course there are people who care about their work, enough so to forgo mass produced shit for quality film making. I never said there wasn't. I'm curious why do you think that those who made the first Apes reboot cared so much about it, moreso than any other filmmaker (Stallone excluded :? )? It didn't strike me as some passion project, or one that was incredibly deep and thought provoking. It was a risky summer blockbuster film that ended up doing real well. Don't you think its possible that they can make a third movie with the same quality while still being in it for the money? They don't have to be mutually exclusive.


there are definitely people in hollywood who care about trying to make the best, highest-quality movies they possibly can. the problem is, nearly all of those people work for people who only care about money. i mean, take a look at a guy like terry gilliam. he obviously knows exactly what kinds of films he wants to make, and isn't in it for the money. but in order to get his films made, he has to beg and plead to the people who can fund his films. at least gilliam has a long career (and a long reputation of doing his own thing, studio-be-damned) to trade on. anyone funding a gilliam film is probably not going to interfere, you know what you're getting with him. but i doubt we'll see any $200-million-dollar blockbusters being handed his way either. when you're talking big-budget, summer blockbuster, (hopefully)-franchise-starting-or-reviving films, the amount of money at stake requires the involvement of big studios, and they are much more concerned with their return on investment, than on whether the film is really all that good or not. when you're laying out a few hundred million to make and market a film, your first priority is getting that money back. that doesn't mean a good film can't squeeze through once in a while, the people actually making the films still probably want to make them as good as they can be, but they also have to please the guys holding the purse-strings, at least they do if they want to continue having a career in film-making.
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 19037
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: Apes-A-Poppin' 2

Postby Fried Gold on Thu May 15, 2014 1:12 pm

Peven wrote: I am assuming the apes win in the end of this movie's conflict unless they are REALLY changing the story around.

That depends on whether they are doing a version of Battle for the Planet of the Apes (apes and humans avert total anhilation and learn to live with each other) or if they actually doing a lead-in to a new Planet of the Apes (the humans kinda wipe themselves out somehow and the apes evolve even further, only for the Icarus to arrive).

Given the Icarus was shown being launched in RotPotA...it's probably something along the lines of what you said.


...or it could be something completely different. The trailer makes it feel like something is yet to be revealed.
User avatar
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 13930
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:28 pm
Location: ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Re: Apes-A-Poppin' 2

Postby Peven on Thu May 15, 2014 1:18 pm

so sorry wrote:
Peven wrote:the entire LOTR trilogy was great, so I am not sure what you are referring to there, ROTK was an excellent movie and anyone who thinks it was a "cash grab" needs to put their helmet back on and find their seat on the short bus.


I consider the decision to make the Hobbit a trilogy a bad one, and one made with $ signs in mind. Maybe you believe that Pete just had too much good stories to tell so he needed to stretch into three flicks, but I certainly didn't. Maybe he just hates his home life and relishes spending every waking minute in the studio, beats me. But what I saw was the opportunity for a great film (maybe two), stretched into three movies unnecessarily, and as far as i can see this decision wasn't made with "quality" in mind, but "quantity". As far as the LoTR series, I've made my feelings know plenty of times here: I think the Fellowship is a spectacular film, one I would probably put in my top ten, and the next two movies got progressively worse, by becoming progressively excessive (surfing Legolas, I'm looking at you). No need for a retort, we obviously don't agree on this one.



Of course there are people who care about their work, enough so to forgo mass produced shit for quality film making. I never said there wasn't. I'm curious why do you think that those who made the first Apes reboot cared so much about it, moreso than any other filmmaker (Stallone excluded :? )? It didn't strike me as some passion project, or one that was incredibly deep and thought provoking. It was a risky summer blockbuster film that ended up doing real well. Don't you think its possible that they can make a third movie with the same quality while still being in it for the money? They don't have to be mutually exclusive.



I can see where you are coming from in regard to The Hobbit, it does smack of squeezing out all they can, but I also think it gives Jackson an excuse to creatively mine more of Middle Earth, a sandbox he obviously enjoys playing in.

I DO think it is clear that those who made the original cared about quality, from Franco's performance, to Serkis's and the motion-capture team's extraordinary work which was recognized as the pinnacle at the time it came out, to the thoughtful and well-paced script.
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14547
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Re: Apes-A-Poppin' 2

Postby Fried Gold on Mon May 19, 2014 11:29 am

RotPotA was a summer blockbuster, but the main creative control seemed to be in the hands of people not from a summer blockbuster background which gave it some added depth and quality.

If it truly was entirely about summer blockbusterness then they could've just got Michael Bay and Ehren Kruger involved instead.
User avatar
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 13930
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:28 pm
Location: ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Re: Apes-A-Poppin' 2

Postby TheBaxter on Mon May 19, 2014 2:24 pm

i don't think micheal bay would be interested in any project that doesn't involve cars, planes, and 'splosions.
i suppose you could shoehorn that stuff into a film about the downfall of human civilization and it's replacement with a technologically-primitive ape-based culture. but it would be a bit of a stretch. i can only imagine the scene with caesar in a leather-jacket and goggles, speeding down the highway on a harley with a M-60 in one hand, a blonde ape draped on his back, laughing and yelling "this is more fun than a barrel of humans!"
and now that i have imagined that, i think of these films and i feel.... sadly empty.
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 19037
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: Apes-A-Poppin' 2

Postby so sorry on Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:57 am



Final, and longest?, trailer.

I'm still not interested, but I can see why some people can get jazzed by this.
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15549
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Re: Apes-A-Poppin' 2

Postby Al Shut on Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:26 am

I'm actually more jizzed than jazzed
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
User avatar
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER
 
Posts: 6204
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:57 pm
Location: Oberhausen, Germany

Re: Apes-A-Poppin' 2

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:17 am

User avatar
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR
 
Posts: 17418
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:02 am
Location: The Bureau of Sabotage

Re: Apes-A-Poppin' 2

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:51 am

User avatar
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR
 
Posts: 17418
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:02 am
Location: The Bureau of Sabotage

Re: Apes-A-Poppin' 2

Postby so sorry on Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:58 pm

Three videos bridging the gap between Rise and the new film. As stand alone little apocolyptic videos, these are pretty damned good. As a matter of fact, I'd say the third one (story of the gun) may ultimately be more interesting to me than the actual apes movie. And of course the first one, that has a family surviving, is a tiny bit gut wrenching to me....




Spread of the Simian Flue: Year 1


Struggling to Survive: Year 5


Story of the gun: year 10


PS anyone know why half of the youtube tags here don't show an image (other than the stupid "watch me on youtube"?)
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15549
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Re: Apes-A-Poppin' 2

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:33 pm

so sorry wrote:
PS anyone know why half of the youtube tags here don't show an image (other than the stupid "watch me on youtube"?)




Delete the from #t=369 from the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejrtt37XzOY#t=369
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxcTS7AUngs#t=251
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYCl7_bDbZs#t=672

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejrtt37XzOY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxcTS7AUngs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYCl7_bDbZs



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejrtt37XzOY#t=369





https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejrtt37XzOY

User avatar
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR
 
Posts: 17418
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:02 am
Location: The Bureau of Sabotage


Re: Apes-A-Poppin' 2

Postby Ribbons on Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:59 pm

"Apes-a-Poppin' 2," which is getting wildly positive reviews, opens this weekend. I got burned by all the praise for Apes-a-Poppin' 1, which I did not connect with at all. But I am cautiously optimistic about this one; I like what I've seen so far. Anyway, have at it!
User avatar
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG
 
Posts: 13860
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:00 am

Re: Apes-A-Poppin' 2

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:11 am

User avatar
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR
 
Posts: 17418
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:02 am
Location: The Bureau of Sabotage

Re: Apes-A-Poppin' 3

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:25 am

Matt Reeves To Helm ‘Planet Of The Apes 3′

MIKE FLEMING JR wrote:
EXCLUSIVE:

Right after 20th Century Fox and Chernin Entertainment began screening his cut of Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes, Matt Reeves has signed on to direct the third installment of the franchise. This time, he will write the script with Mark Bomback, one of the writers who scripted the sequel. Amanda Silver and Rick Jaffa were the scribes who resurrected the franchise with Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes, the Ruper Wyatt-directed film that grossed $482 million worldwide in 2011. The directing deal is done and the writer deals are being worked out right now. It is likely that Reeves will go right into the third film, a priority for the studio.



Third Of The New Planet Of The Apes Films Is Set For July 29th 2016

'Dawn of the Planet of the Apes' Writers on Sequel Plans, 'Hard' Choices (Q&A)
Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver tell THR about their screenplay's most head-turning decision and why Andy Serkis is the franchise's "greatest gift."
Aaron Couch wrote:From the original movies, we know the apes eventually take over. How do you keep it interesting despite audiences knowing the endgame?

Jaffa: The intention was to make a science-fact movie as opposed to a purely science fiction movie. What elements of the world today can we line up so that if the dominoes were to tip over just right, Colonel Taylor (Charlton Heston) would wind up on that beach in the year 3900 — or whatever it was. We do know where it ends up, so the fun we want to have is what happens between now and then.

Silver: How do we get there?

Jaffa: There are a lot of ways to skin that cat. In terms of the endgame, there's a long time between now and when everything needs to be figured out.

Silver: It's like with cable TV, we can do a slow burn. There's no need to tell the story with these big wide chunks. We can slow down and tell more intimate character pieces. Caesar and the characters around Caesar are particularly compelling, so maybe we slow down and spend some time with them before we jump a thousand years in the future. We'll see. It's a very juicy opportunity.

Have you had discussions about a third film?

Jaffa: There haven't been formal discussions with the creative group, but Amanda and I definitely have thoughts, and I'm sure (director) Matt (Reeves) has thoughts and (screenwriter) Mark Bomback, who we share a credit with on Dawn, and our producers.
User avatar
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR
 
Posts: 17418
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:02 am
Location: The Bureau of Sabotage

Re: Apes-A-Poppin' 2

Postby Peven on Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:25 pm

I saw this over the weekend at the drive-in and loved it, great movie, and now see how they are almost certainly going to make the next movie about the War between Apes and Man. from the trailers it looks like there is a larger scale conflict at the end than there actually is and the movie actually sets events into motion that aren't revealed by the end, events that are certain to lead to a much larger scale conflict between Apes and Man. going to be a long wait for the next movie, I expect great things
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14547
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Re: Apes-A-Poppin' 2

Postby Peven on Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:27 pm

Ribbons wrote:"Apes-a-Poppin' 2," which is getting wildly positive reviews, opens this weekend. I got burned by all the praise for Apes-a-Poppin' 1, which I did not connect with at all. But I am cautiously optimistic about this one; I like what I've seen so far. Anyway, have at it!



if you didn't connect at all with the first movie I truly feel sorry for you :-P









:wink:
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14547
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Re: Apes-A-Poppin' 2

Postby Ribbons on Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:43 pm

I appreciate your concern. Please feel free to make regular donations to The Ribbons Fund.
User avatar
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG
 
Posts: 13860
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:00 am

Re: Apes-A-Poppin' 2

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:35 pm

Deadline:
Update: Intl Box Office: ‘Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes’ Awakens To $31.1M Overseas

Nikki Finke:
Box Office: ‘Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes’ Opens To Bigger-Than-Expected $104.1M Wkd

Nikki Finke wrote:1. Twentieth Century Fox-financed and Chernin Entertainment-produced Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes earned an A- Cinemascore from audiences, stellar reviews from critics, and now is overperforming. Friday’s domestic box office targeted $27.7M and Saturday’s $25.5M for what may be a $73M first opening weekend from 3,967 U.S./Canadian theaters.

Until Friday afternoon the studio was still trying to lower expectations to $55M-$60M for the first FSS after last weekend’s lousy Independence Holiday results for overall moviegoing and the -19% downturn at midpoint in 2014 summer grosses.

The Matt Reeves-helmed sci-fi heavy special effects-laden actioner cost a whopping $170M (almost twice as much as the first) which Fox solely financed, according to the studio. "Great number, great start," a Fox exec says confidently. Opening weekend gross domestic wound up +33% more than the previous Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes which had a $54.8M opening.


So how do you market with any freshness an apes vs humans movie that’s been reimagined 8 times between 1968 and 2014, rebooted 3 times, and this latest franchise installment is a sequel? Hell if I know – except to incorporate Andy Serkis (reprising Caesar) nonstop. (Though I did burst into laughter the first time I saw the long Dawn trailer for no other reason that there were apes, apes, APES everywhere!) Dawn100But Fox had to do it because all these apes are responsible for half a billion dollars in domestic theatrical gross alone. "It’s an Ape World and we are all living in it, that’s for sure," a Fox exec told me tonight. So the studio kicked off the Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes campaign a year ago with a Simian Flu infection of the 2013 San Diego Comic-Con via PSA-type social posts, a virus-awareness micro-site, and sanitary masks + hand sanitizer gel for fans to take home. Other highlights included Fox delivering a sneak preview during the season finale of AMC’s hit show The Walking Dead. And Andy Serkis taking over the @ApesMovies Instagram account for the day during WonderCon. And the film doing a live Google+ Hangout at YouTube Headquarters, a cast Twitter Chat at Twitter Headquarters which ended with the Red Carpet global premiere. Fourth of July social blitz garnered 5x average engagement from millions of fans. Finally, Fox employed Vice Media’s Science and Tech arm to create 3 original short films detailing the 10 years between the two films and the effects of the Simian Flu on society. Plague Inc introduced the Simian Flu into the popular game. Screenplay was by Mark Bomback and Rick Jaffa & Amanda Silver, based on characters created by Rick Jaffa & Amanda Silver. Producers were Peter Chernin, Dylan Clark, Rick Jaffa, Amanda Silver. And the cast besides Serkis included Jason Clarke, Gary Oldman, and Keri Russell.
User avatar
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR
 
Posts: 17418
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:02 am
Location: The Bureau of Sabotage

Re: Apes-A-Poppin' 2

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:57 pm

Director Matt Reeves on how Coppola's 'Godfather' advice shaped his new 'Apes'
Plus he talks about what Giacchino brought to the table this time
User avatar
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR
 
Posts: 17418
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:02 am
Location: The Bureau of Sabotage

Re: Apes-A-Poppin' 2

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:58 pm

"I thought we had a chance."
"I did too."

This movie should be nominated for Best Picture. It won't, but it should. I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here, but science fiction is awesome, and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is evidence why: it sometimes helps us understand the world better than real life does. It's a neat trick to get us to identify and side with the apes first; it's even neater that, as the movie unfolds, we identify with everyone, and understand that the coming war is as horrible as it is inevitable. It's not perfect. There are some pretty big coincidences and plot contrivances, and some of the most important characters in the story are disappointingly two-dimensional. The one character who is not, though, is Caesar, who owns this movie from the first shot to the last. This is Andy Serkis's best mocap performance to date. He and the artists who rendered Caesar subtly and powerfully communicate pride, worry, strength, weakness, remorse, often at the same time. It's impressive, all the more impressive because it's largely wordless. I really did not expect to like this movie, but I loved it. I'm still chewing on it days later.
User avatar
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG
 
Posts: 13860
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:00 am

Re: Apes-A-Poppin' 2

Postby so sorry on Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:14 pm

Well said
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15549
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Re: Apes-A-Poppin' 2

Postby Peven on Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:12 am

Ribbons wrote:"I thought we had a chance."
"I did too."

This movie should be nominated for Best Picture. It won't, but it should. I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here, but science fiction is awesome, and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is evidence why: it sometimes helps us understand the world better than real life does. It's a neat trick to get us to identify and side with the apes first; it's even neater that, as the movie unfolds, we identify with everyone, and understand that the coming war is as horrible as it is inevitable. It's not perfect. There are some pretty big coincidences and plot contrivances, and some of the most important characters in the story are disappointingly two-dimensional. The one character who is not, though, is Caesar, who owns this movie from the first shot to the last. This is Andy Serkis's best mocap performance to date. He and the artists who rendered Caesar subtly and powerfully communicate pride, worry, strength, weakness, remorse, often at the same time. It's impressive, all the more impressive because it's largely wordless. I really did not expect to like this movie, but I loved it. I'm still chewing on it days later.



you're saved! :-P now go back and rewatch the first movie and hopefully it will connect with you now :wink:
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14547
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Re: Apes-A-Poppin' 2

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:52 am

Nah, I'm good
User avatar
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG
 
Posts: 13860
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:00 am

Re: Apes-A-Poppin' 2

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:37 pm

I really dug this movie. It was odd watching a "war movie" where I didn't want either side to lose. It was all just tragically inevitable. I wonder what the 3rd movie will have in store? I'm not sure it'll be fun watching humans wipe themselves out or get enslaved by talking monkeys.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
User avatar
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger
 
Posts: 9609
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:52 am
Location: Melbourne, FL

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 4 guests

cron