Jupiter Ascending - New Wachowski Brothers Film

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: Jupiter Ascending - New Waschowski Brothers Film

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:33 pm

When did it become cool to like Speed Racer?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:59 pm

Fievel wrote:
so sorry wrote:That's a joke, right? He's seriously suggesting that Jupiter Ascending is a good date movie for V-Day? Daredevil had hunky Ben Affleck in it, which may have contributed some to its initial success. It certainly wasn't because guys convinced their girlfriends/wives that a movie about a blind guy who fights with sticks was romantic.

Think about it.... you tell your unsuspecting girlfriend/wife that you want to take her to the new Channing Tatum and Mila Kunis movie on Valentine's Day. What's it called? Jupiter Ascending. Sounds kinda romantic. I can see a LOT of women being bamboozled that day!!
:lol:

they can just tell their girls it's a sequel to Magic Mike. when they ask about the title, tell them Jupiter is the name of his cock and it will all make sense.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby max314 on Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:59 am

so sorry wrote:That's a joke, right? He's seriously suggesting that Jupiter Ascending is a good date movie for V-Day? Daredevil had hunky Ben Affleck in it...

I thought the ladies liked Channing Tatum.

Also, it's a Cinderella space opera with a prominent romantic subplot. I'd say it's absolutely a date movie.
Weapon of MAX Destruction
max314
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Ribbons on Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:00 pm

Yeah, I can see Tatum's appeal turning this into an unconventional date movie.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby max314 on Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:53 pm

Cool poster alert:

max314
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Spandau Belly on Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:04 pm

That is a really beautiful poster. Reminds of those nice oldschool STAR WARS posters.

And I agree with Max314 that a date movie doesn't have to be a rom com of Matthew McConaughey - Kate Hudson variety. I don't even know if they still make many of those types of movies (do they?). I think couples will go to something that has some intergender appeal, and I would agree that this movie could go that way.

I do want to see this movie. And I am more likely to catch it February because there won't be five other movies in the same genre that I want to see more all playing at the same time.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby max314 on Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:30 pm

Yep.

Also, they've re-cut the trailer to include additional (i.e. previously incomplete) effects shots.

It's subtle, but – as a partial detractor of the original trailers – I think it looks bloody brilliant now.

Plug in your headphones, crank it up, and enjoy:

max314
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:09 pm

Can Warner Bros. Avoid Another Wachowski Misfire?
Alexandra Cheney & Brent Lang wrote:Warner Bros. stunned Hollywood when it pushed the release of “Jupiter Ascending” by seven months — a move that seemed abrupt, but had been debated by the studio for nearly six weeks as the Channing Tatum-Mila Kunis science-fiction epic’s box office prospects dimmed. Delaying a movie’s release is no easy decision, since it adds millions of dollars in interest and other completion costs to the budget and creates negative buzz that is hard to shake. But it can be even more costly and potentially deadly to roll out such a pricey pic, already laden with a production budget of $175 million, before it’s ready.

That became abundantly apparent when Sue Kroll, president of worldwide marketing and international distribution, and other execs saw the latest version of the picture — which had already gone through minor reshoots in January and again three months later to clarify plot points.

The decision to shift the film’s prime July 18 release date to February 2015 was prompted by weak response to a research screening in late April and the fact that the visual effects, on which the futuristic thriller heavily relies, were incomplete.

That left Kroll without enough strong content or time to build an effective marketing campaign to give the movie a proper launch. Warners will spend more than $100 million on worldwide marketing for the movie, which was one-third financed by Village Roadshow.

“The evolution of this film always had a tight delivery, a tight release,” Kroll told Variety. “But it was really about protecting the movie.”

Studios often find themselves in the self-inflicted position of having to race to make a release date that has been set far in advance amid a competitive landscape, and allows no margin for error. This is not the first time that Warner has opted to move the release date of a movie that wasn’t yet cooked.

William Sargent, co-founder and CEO of Framestore, one of the major vfx vendors on the film, says studios have become more willing to delay a film’s release, even if that means swallowing millions in interest.

“We have seen Warners delay a release for excellent marketing reasons, of which ‘Gravity’ is the ultimate example,” said Sargent, noting that film was completed almost a year before release. But after several lukewarm screenings, the release was pushed. Warners also moved back the 2014 fantasy action picture “300: Rise of an Empire” when its effects weren’t finished.

The studio can only hope that “Jupiter Ascending” winds up benefiting from its delay as those two films did. But there are no guarantees, and the stakes remain high.

Moving the picture leaves a gaping hole in Warner’s summer lineup, and comes during a trough for Hollywood’s biggest film studio. While “Godzilla” has performed respectably (Warner only owns 25%), “Blended,” starring Adam Sandler, was a dud, and the Tom Cruise-toplined “Edge of Tomorrow,” which cost $175 million, is still far from breaking even.

The “Jupiter” shakeup also casts a shadow on directors Lana and Andy Wachowski, whose past two films, “Cloud Atlas” and “Speed Racer,” wiped out at the box office. “Jupiter” was to mark the siblings’ long-awaited return to the science-fiction genre after their successful run with “The Matrix” movies.

Without a new franchise or Batman, Superman or Harry Potter sequel in its arsenal this year, Warners has taken risks on several original properties.

But the payoff this summer has so far been elusive.

David Cohen contributed to this report.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:27 pm

Comic-Con: Warner Bros. Bringing Peter Jackson, ‘Mad Max’, ‘Jupiter Ascending’, ‘Into the Storm’

Comic-Con: Warner Bros. Bringing 'Mad Max,' 'The Hobbit' to Hall H
Peter Jackson will attend the presentation, which will also feature a look at the Wachowskis’ delayed "Jupiter Ascending."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:23 am

Bad Ass Digest @ SDCC:
JUPITER ASCENDING Proves The Wachowskis Keep Making Movies Just For Us
A big scifi film that looks unlike any other movie you've ever seen.

io9:
Jupiter Ascending Comic-Con Footage Sealed The Deal: This Movie Rocks
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:27 pm

Jupiter Ascending - New Trailer - Official Warner Bros. In Cinemas Feb 6
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fievel on Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:12 pm

I am more and more sold on this with every trailer they put out.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheButcher on Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:23 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:01 pm

This thing?

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re: Jupiter Ascending - Channing Tatum is a Mog!

Postby TheButcher on Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:23 pm

What the hell is that thing?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:52 pm

Sorry, bad joke. It's a moogle, from the Final Fantasy series.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Al Shut on Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:36 am

Do they constantly say kupo in the English version too?
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Ribbons on Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:09 pm

It's been a while, but yes, I think so
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:48 pm

Will We Get Our First BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DOJ Trailer With JUPITER ASCENDING?
We will according to the Projection List, who reckon the teaser for Zack Snyder's Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice will be with us as early as February 6 when it débuts with Warner Bros.' sci-fi flick, Jupiter Ascending.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby max314 on Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:16 pm

I read somewhere (I think it was an Empire Magazine article) that they steered away from digital stunt doubles, preferring instead to fly actual people on wires through the canyons of Chicago.

For the action scenes in alien environments, they built chunks of set and filmed the stunt people in said environments whenever possible.

Can't wait to see how it all pays off in the finished film.

Oh, and a new TV spot:

max314
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby max314 on Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:09 am

BEHIND-THE-SCENES EXCLUSIVE [VIDEO]: "A cross between The Matrix and Star Wars and one of the best action films you can possibly imagine!"

max314
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:40 pm

Admit it, max, you're Lana Wachowski!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:46 pm

I think max will just keep cool and won't care to reveal his true identity

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby max314 on Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:00 pm

Ribbons wrote:Admit it, max, you're Lana Wachowski!

If I was Lana Wachowski, I'd be pissed as hell that Warner Bros.' lackluster marketing campaign meant that some lowly internet fanboy felt he had to try in vain to pick up the slack for the multi-billion dollar Hollywood studio.

Seriously, Warners. You ain't gonna make all that money back...unless you let the average Joe know that your movie actually exists!
max314
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Ribbons on Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:55 am

I've actually seen a fair amount of Jupiter Ascending ads in the past week. Maybe they're just ramping up.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby max314 on Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:17 am

That's great to hear.

Presumably, you're in the United States? Because I haven't seen anything here in London outside of a few cardboard standees at the cinema.

If you don't mind my asking, are you guys seeing posters on buses/billboards? TV ads? Interviews with the stars on chat shows?

What kind of campaign are Warners running so far?

And are you seeing similar exposure for that other delayed Warners film, Seventh Son?

Sorry for the bother :-D
max314
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Ribbons on Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:14 pm

I'm not sure I can answer the question about what kind of campaign they're running, but there's a poster for Jupiter Ascending at a nearby bus stop, in addition to the commercials I mentioned earlier.

As far as Seventh Son goes, I've seen a couple banner ads on websites, but that's it.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Spandau Belly on Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:32 pm

I really love the Wachowskis, and so I wish this movie looked better than it does. I really hope that the trailers are taking a more interesting movie and just packaging it to look as generic as possible because they think that's what audiences want. I know at the very least the Wachowskis will get some good action in there, so I'll definitely see this.

I agree that Warners is bungling the release of this film. They initially had it slated for release right next to several other sci-fi action flicks (GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, APES 2, LUCY) and it didn't really have any advantage over those movies with similiar appeal. GotG had the Marvel label and a marketing campaign that started like two years ago selling everybody on this raccoon character. APES 2 had the creds of its predecessor. LUCY had an It Girl.

I think FOXCATCHER will help Tatum's creds a bit. It's hard to imagine somebody watching that movie and still thinking that the guy can't act. But I doubt that will really boost this movie's appeal.

I don't really have high hopes for this movie being a success with the masses. I'd guess that you can prettymuch copy and paste the reviews and box office results from JOHN CARTER for this film. I just hope it works as a good standalone movie with some sort of conclusion and not one of these shamelessly incomplete franchise launcher half-stories because I tend to think we're not getting any sequels unless this is some sort of surprise smash hit.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Ribbons on Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:24 pm

They're even releasing it around the same time John Carter was released. I will probably go to see it in theaters, just like I will go see that George Lucas animated fairy musical thing, because I'm a giant sucker.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:58 pm

I would be more interested in seeing Seventh Son than Jupiter Ascending, and I am one of those who think that Speed Racer is an unappreciated gem, I just think Jupiter looks like a convoluted mess with a lot of fx. Seventh Son looks looks like a modern day saturday matinee popcorn movie, Harryhausenesque even.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Al Shut on Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:28 am

Spandau Belly wrote:I don't really have high hopes for this movie being a success with the masses. I'd guess that you can prettymuch copy and paste the reviews and box office results from JOHN CARTER for this film.

Ribbons wrote:They're even releasing it around the same time John Carter was released.

Well, if it turns out as good as John Carter I'll be satisfied.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby DerLanghaarige on Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:36 pm

Moriarty McWeeny already saw it and while his review is still embargoed, he dropped a hint that he enjoyed it A LOT! He also enjoyed Speed Racer a lot (rightfully so!), but unfortunately it doesn't mean it will be a commercial success. Although this movie here at least looks like something, that won't go over the average moviegoers head.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby max314 on Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:06 pm

DerLanghaarige wrote:Moriarty McWeeny already saw it and while his review is still embargoed, he dropped a hint that he enjoyed it A LOT!

That's fantastic news.

Do you have a source we can link to?
max314
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby DerLanghaarige on Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:59 am

Not exactly. He said it in the comment section of one of his HitFix writings as reply to someone else, but I can't remember which one.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby max314 on Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:57 pm

DerLanghaarige wrote:Not exactly. He said it in the comment section of one of his HitFix writings as reply to someone else, but I can't remember which one.

Okay, thanks anyway :wink:

Also...

Grant Hill in TOTAL FILM:

...when Mila falls out of the craft, we actually shot her doing that -- a 125ft freefall. She just got up there and did it!

There is a vehicle with a crane on it, and they're attached to that crane. Channing does skid along the side of this car; it?s a real stunt. He was very much, "Wow, this is great. Which way do you want me to be looking when I go past the camera at 60mph."

FULL ARTICLE (Mildly Spoilerish)
max314
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby max314 on Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:39 am

New Mind Melting 60-SECOND TV SPOT:

I can't stand it anymore. Shut up and TAKE MY MONEY!!
max314
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Peven on Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:31 pm

you know what it looks like that movie needs? some comic relief by Jonah Hill and Michael Cera...

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby so sorry on Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:40 pm

Or a wise-talking Raccoon.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Peven on Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:52 pm

so sorry wrote:Or a wise-talking Raccoon.

done to death already

Peven
Is This Real Life?

The Movie Trailers 'Я' Us Thread

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:31 pm

max314 wrote:I can't stand it anymore. Shut up and TAKE MY MONEY!!

I'll take your money. :D
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Madea Ascending - New Waschowski Brothers Film

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:35 pm

Peven wrote:you know what it looks like that movie needs? some comic relief by Jonah Hill and Michael Cera...

Or Tyler Perry as a sassy black lady.

Film Sketch'r:
Stunning JUPITER ASCENDING Concept Art by Philippe Gaulier and Oliver Pron
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: The Movie Trailers 'Я' Us Thread

Postby Al Shut on Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:55 am

Unacceptable! TheButcher must not shut up.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby max314 on Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:05 am

TheButcher wrote:

I'm such a Jupiter junkie right now that I might just do it :shock:
max314
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:31 am

max314 wrote:
TheButcher wrote:

I'm such a Jupiter junkie right now that I might just do it :shock:

Awesome!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby max314 on Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:24 am

A crazy, fun action movie that's like The Matrix and Star Wars? :mrgreen:

Also, some amazing alternate posters have been put out.

CLICK TO ENLARGE:

max314
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Peven on Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:49 am

there was NO applause at the end of the Sundance showing yesterday. none. some even walked out during the movie. not a good sign.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby max314 on Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:24 pm

It's Sundance.

And plenty liked it, regardless.
max314
MONKEY BUTLER

The Movie Trailers 'Я' Us Thread

Postby max314 on Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:32 pm

max314
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Peven on Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:39 pm

max314 wrote:It's Sundance.

And plenty liked it, regardless.

where did you read that "plenty liked it"??? I understand that it is Sundance, not exactly the most fertile ground for a big budget sci-fi flick, but even someone attached to the movie said it was the kind of movie that 13 yr old boys are going to love even if those at Sundance didn't. that doesn't sound very promising to me

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Re: Jupiter Ascending - New Wachowski Brothers Film

Postby DerLanghaarige on Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:20 pm

It was also a secret screening, which for any reason many reports seem to ignore and make it look like the room was half empty because nobody cared and not because nobody knew. Something tells me doesn't matter how the movie will turn out, the reviews will be negative.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion