The Zone's 2014 Movie Journal

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: The Zone's 2014 Movie Journal

Postby Spandau Belly on Thu May 01, 2014 4:02 pm

Al Shut wrote:Spandau you should be ashamed for making me curious about a movie that by all (i.e. your) accounts is terrible.

It's mesmerizing! It really has to be seen to be believed.

Al Shut wrote:
Spandau Belly wrote:May: I'm going to expose them all
isn't that a bit premature, futureboy?

Zukunft ist Vergangenheit! Thanks, mate, I've fixed it.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Thu May 01, 2014 8:48 pm

Al Shut wrote:Favourite movie I've seen last month was Dressed to Kill. I really wonder if I would have guessed the killer's identity, by realizing the movie is basically a Psycho remake if my TV guide hadn't spoiled it (and keeps doing so on a regular basis). My suspicion: No I wouldn't, I tend to be kind of dense in those things.

Such a great love letter/handjob to Hitchcock.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby Al Shut on Fri May 02, 2014 3:40 am

And I had to laugh out loud at the STD
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby DerLanghaarige on Fri May 02, 2014 10:33 am

I only watched 9 movies last month, which would be below average any other year, but is unfortunately very good for me thsi year. Got not much to say, though.

My favourite, previously unseen movie was without a doubt THE LAST CIRCUS, closely followed by HOBBIT 2: HOBBIT HARDER. MATINEE still has a very high rewatch value, if you love old B-movies, nostalgic coming of age stories or just John Goodman, while GHOULIES is just awful.

That's all.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri May 02, 2014 12:17 pm

Al Shut wrote:And I had to laugh out loud at the STD

Easily the funniest part.
caruso_stalker217

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri May 02, 2014 12:42 pm

APRIL: A MONTH

Somehow I managed to watch 21 films this month. Twelve were first viewings for me. At least half of those were terrible. Right up front:

BEST OF APRIL:

THE COUNSELOR (2013). This upbeat caper written by Cormac McCarthy divided critics and audiences alike, but I dug it immensely. It's been almost two years since I saw PROMETHEUS and that was such a sour bag of shit I wasn't feeling much love toward old Rids, but this was an all-around well-made film about some bad shit that happens and such. Fassbender delivers a performance that I thought was a lot better than the one he got nominated for last year. And there are cheetahs.

INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS (2013). In typical Coen-whore fashion, I loved this film. It had the music and the humor and even some good genuine emotions and such. A lot of sweaters. Oscar Isaac was definitely snubbed here.

SORCERER (1977). My second time watching this film and on glorious Blu-Ray. This is a handsome damn picture with one of the greatest asshole-puckering scenes of suspense in the history of motion pictures. Tangerine Dream.

MOST OLEG FILM OF APRIL (tie):

HOMEFRONT (2013). I fine balance of Jason Statham beating the shit out of/shooting people and well-written characters with depth and shit.

MAN OF TAI CHI (2013). Keanu Reeves makes a strong directorial debut in this kick/punch film. He also makes a fun villain, pointing at televisions and saying "INNOCENT" like he's Ghost RIder or some shit. This was a fun film.

WORST FILM OF APRIL:

The actual worst film I saw this month was so bad I had to stop watching it for 15 minutes to go take a shit. It was a clumsy amateurish production with terrible writing, acting and everything else across the board. I will not justify its existence by naming it here and it will not appear in my movie journal. It does not exist.

Instead I'll just list the other probably-just-as-terrible-but-not-quite-that-terrible movies I saw last month.

PROM NIGHT (1980)
PROM NIGHT II: HELLO MARY LOU (1987)
THE NURSE (1997)
NURSE (2013)
THE CRY (2007)
HOWLING IV: THE ORIGINAL NIGHTMARE (1988)
DIRE WOLF (2009)

However, I must give props to DIRE WOLF. It features what I believe to be the first (only?) instance of a character's OCD getting them killed.
caruso_stalker217

Postby DerLanghaarige on Sun May 04, 2014 2:46 pm

Al Shut wrote:37. Matinee (28.04 TV Subtitled 7/10): Is it wrong that I want to see a full Mant! movie? Don't bother, I know the answer is yes. :oops:

How about a 16 minutes version of it?

DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Al Shut on Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:53 pm

Favourite of May: La piel que habito a.k.a. The Skin I live In

Strangely fascinating and a big WTF. You just that something weird is going on when you find it odd that a movie does NOT contain any incest. The German dub added some bonus weirdness by not providing Antonio Banderas with his usual voice so when he opens the movie with an speech about the importance of having a face all I could think was 'I know that face but I don't know the voice'

Worst was 'Die Toten von Hameln, a pretty forgettable German TV movie I saw.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby DerLanghaarige on Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:24 pm

That was actually a pretty interesting month for me. Many ups and downs with a kinda broad variety of ages and genres. Anyway, here is:

May 2014: Wrath Of Poopie, The Sad Clown (A Look-Backening Tale)

Favourite Movie (Previously unwatched)
Beasts Of The Southern Wild

Favourite Old Movie (Previously unwatched)
Shock Treatment

Favourite Old Movie That I Already Knew
The Little Mermaid

ActingAwards
Favourite Performance: Adrien Brody in High School
2nd Favourite Performance: Patty McCormack in The Bad Seed
3rd Favourite Performance: Quvenzhané Wallis in Beasts Of The Southern Wild

(Intersting that two little girls gave two of the best performances I saw last month, btw)

Worst Movie Of The Month
High School

The Tofu Award (For movies with a bad reputation, that are actually pretty good or even great)
The Lone Ranger

Special Bonus Tofu Shout Out
Shock Treatment
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:19 pm

MAY I PRESS YOU TO A CUCUMBER SANDWICH?

Only 7 first-time viewings for me this month. Here are the results:

WORST FILM OF MAY: KILLJOY (2000). KILLJOY is a "hood" "horror" "movie" about a thirsty youth who gets murdered for showing too much interest in a drug dealer's girlfriend. But the kid was into some black magic or some shit and a year later an evil supernatural clown named Killjoy appears to, like, murder the bad guys or something. Killjoy is probably the worst slasher villain ever. He's a Freddy Krueger type who says lame shit and I think the actor may have been playing him a little gay, but he also tries to get with the main chick so maybe he swings both ways or is confused sexually. The acting is atrocious across the board. The whole thing is shot on video. The film is so bad that it spawned three (presumably worse) sequels. Avoid.

MOST BORINGEST FILM OF MAY: OCCUPIED (2011). This independent production was probably intended as a psychological drama/thriller(?) but it's really about a 30 year old college girl looking after her young teen cousin in a cabin in the woods. Much of the film is comprised of long dialogue scenes between the two almost capable actresses. I think the young girl fares better here because of her youth and inexperience, but the older gal kinda sucks. It doesn't help that she has to play "crazy" and also nothing of consequence happens in the film until the end when the older cousin makes raw hamburger for dinner, starts acting like a douche and then electrocutes herself in the kitchen sink. This probably doesn't even qualify as a film.

MOST GODZILLA-ISH FILM OF MAY: GODZILLA (2014). I've shared my thoughts in the GODZILLA thread and I guess there's not much to say except that I enjoyed it but I wish there was more Godzilla.

DUMBEST FILM OF MAY: MACHETE KILLS (2013). This is pretty lousy, but there are some fun performances in there. Robert Rodriguez is pretty much done as a filmmaker I think.

BEST FILM OF MAY: CONCUSSION (2013). The story of an unhappy lesbian housewife who becomes a prostitute. Drama and some funny stuff ensues. Worth a look if you're into that kind of stuff.

PLEASANT SURPRISE OF MAY: CLUE (1985). I had never seen this and now I have. It was fun and enjoyable, but maybe overstayed its welcome a bit by the end. Michael McKean crushed it.

BEST PERFORMANCE OF MAY: Robin Weigert in CONCUSSION. This was an Oscar-worthy performance that unfortunately nobody really noticed.

BEST SUPPORTING WEIRDO(s): Mel Gibson and "Carlos Estevez" in MACHETE KILLS. Mel looked like he was having fun for the three days or whatever he worked on this. I enjoyed watching him deliver Bond villain style monologues peppered with juvenile uses of the word "fuck" and the sight of him driving a little landspeeder around made me laugh. He even got a Riggs moment in there during his fight with Machete when he delivers more villainous dialogue while playfully picking his nose with a sword. "Carlos" is also good in his small role as President Rathcock. He brought a sincerity to the role while spouting lines like "I'm the President of the United fucking States!" I would like to see a standalone Rathcock film.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Spandau Belly on Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:36 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:PLEASANT SURPRISE OF MAY: CLUE (1985). I had never seen this and now I have. It was fun and enjoyable, but maybe overstayed its welcome a bit by the end. Michael McKean crushed it.

I've never seen this. A lot of my friends love it. I've always been weary of watching it because I got a bit of that vibe that it might be one of those movies that you love it if you saw it at the time, but it just doesn't work if you try to watch it for the first time now.

But I think I will check it out eventually.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:53 pm

I would definitely recommend it. As for rewatch value I couldn't say, but Colleen Camp's bewbs might bring me back for a second viewing at some point.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:51 am

May, I keep living this month in an endless loop until I get it right.

Even though I went to Austria for two weeks, I still saw a lot of movies. Many of which were on the airplane. I want to salute Air Canada for continuing to have an excellent selection of current and classic films for my viewing. They're the best airline I've encountered for choice in entertainment. Good job, guys!

Veronica Lake
I watch four films starring this 1940s vixen and found all of them to be good. I noticed my videostore also has RAMROD, so I'll rent that next time I feel like a cowboy movie and see how Lake fares in the western genre. I'd day SULLIVAN'S TRAVELS was the best of the lot that I watched. It transitioned from light comedy to more serious stuff fairly well and delivered its message effectively.

Best first time viewing: THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE
A really good classic. The movie's subject matter is right there in the foreground, but I didn't find its message too trite or preachy so it didn't bother me. It's a good story. Bogart goes beyond his usual anti-hero persona to play a character that is outright despicable. He gives a good performance and so does that old coot.

Also really good: THE WOLF OF WALL STREET
The DiCaprio-Scorcese partnership finally results in a worthwhile movie. I'm as surprised as anyone. Lots of good laughs in this one. And DiCaprio isn't miscast for a change.

Masterpiece revisited: SORCERER (1977)
Friedkin studied THE TREASURE OF SIERRA MADRE for his depiction of men bonding through hardship and labour and made one of the most intense and gruelling movies ever. Friedkin had such a unique touch for atmosphere. I had only ever seen this film projected from a wornout 35mm print, in which everything has developed that beige tint. So it was great to see this with its full colour palette restored for the bluray release. Beautiful movie.

Worst new viewing: GRACE OF MONACO
They try to make a palace intrigue movie about Grace Kelly at the centre of a showdown between Monaco and France over taxes. I like stuff like those ELIZABETH movies with Cate Blanchett in which Queen Elizabeth I has to navigate treacherous political landscape and solve some crisis. But in GRACE OF MONACO, the politics are total mess and the intrigue is really undercooked. It doesn't help that it has a really overwrought score and a strange camera style that calls way too much attention to itself.

Career high: PAIN & GAIN
Michael Bay finally finds a movie that makes good use of his obnoxious, hateful, crass sensibilties. I think he should stick to outraegous comedies like this and stay away from action "epics".
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby DerLanghaarige on Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:35 am

June 2014: Hoverbutt The Megacunt Meets The Leningrad Cowboys In Recklinghausen Süd (A Look-Backening Tale)

Favourite Movie (Previously Unwatched):
White Douse Down

Favourite Old Movie (Previously Unwatched):
Creature From The Black Lagoon

Favourite Movie That I Had Already Seen:
Speed

Acting Awards
Favourite Performance: Lars Mikkelsen in Sherlock: His Last Vow
2nd Favourite Performance: Mark Wahlberg in Pain & Gain
3rd Favourite Performance: Liev Schreiber in Movie 43

Worst Movie Of The Month:
Perry Rhodan - Unser Mann Im All

The Golden Joss (For movies, that have been praised as the 2nd coming, but are just pretty good or actually worse:
Chronicle

The Tofu Award (For Movies that have a bad reputation, but are actually pretty good):
Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo

Bonus Tofu Shoutout:
Movie 43
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:38 pm

JUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNE.

Watched a lot of garbage this month.

WORST FILM BY A ONCE-GREAT DIRECTOR: TWIXT (2011). Francis Ford Coppola's TWIXT is seemingly a horror/ghost story about a "bargain basement Stephen King" played by formerly-svelte Val Kilmer. He's an alcoholic still coping with his daughter's death and a shrew wife (played by Kilmer's ex-shrew Joanne Whalley) who wants to sell his first edition Walt Whitman. He's on the world's saddest book tour and winds up in this shit-ass town where weird shit happens and Tom Waits narrates at the beginning for no reason. This film is an absolute mess. I mean, say what you will about JACK, but at least that was an actual movie. I don't know what the fuck this is. I guess it's saying something about creativity and inspiration and the writing process and Edgar Allen Poe and Ghost Fanning and goth kids and Bruce Dern, but I'll be fucked if I know how it's all supposed to come together. There is one brilliant scene which is just Val Kilmer improvising a bunch of nonsense. It's completely out of the blue and out of step with the film entirely. It's wonderful.

WORST FILM OF THE MONTH: HELLRAISER 3: HELL ON EARTH (1992). Okay, so I watched a couple films that were technically worse, but they were independent features and at least one seemed like they were at least trying. HELLRAISER 3 is just dog shit, though. I never found Pinhead terribly compelling to begin with and turning him into a Freddy Krueger knock-off didn't help. There was so much stupid shit in this movie. A cenobite dude shooting CDs out of his fucking hands or something. Some dipshit with a camera in his head. Just plain fucking garbage. Fuck this movie.

MOST UNNECESSARY FILM: CARRIE (2013). See, when they said they were going back to the book and doing a "re-imagining" what they meant was they just took the script for DePalma's CARRIE and tweaked it a little. With a few minor deviations and updating shit for the modern age this is the '76 film beat for beat. They even re-do the Getting Ready For Prom scene, but with less corny music and no sped up film with chipmunk voices. The cast is boring as hell. The worst parts were when they were reciting dialogue from the original film. It just sounded stilted and forced. Julianne Moore has all the same dialogue Piper Laurie had so you can't help but remember Piper Laurie doing the same role and better. Carrie moving her hands around like a Jedi was fucking stupid. This was a foolish undertaking.

BEST FILM REVISITED: GALAXY QUEST (1999). This turned out to be even better than I remember it. It works as a comedy, an action film, a space-adventure, and there were even a few dramatic moments that worked extremely well, considering they involve weird alien people who talk funny. Sigourney Weaver was never hotter. Sam Rockwell turns in one of those funny memorable Sam Rockwell performances. Apparently Harold Ramis was going to direct this film but left because the studio wanted Tim Allen in the lead instead of Kevin Kline or Alec Baldwin. Those guys are great actors and Tim Allen is not, but he is perfect for this role. Kevin Kline doesn't fit at all (I seem him more in the Alan Rickman role) and I can't see Baldwin coming off as big a loser as the character requires. Tim Allen may not have range or anything, but he brings a working class blue collar sincerity to the part, which is why the scene where he confesses to Mathesar works so well. Alec Baldwin couldn't do that. So, yeah, this movie rocks.

BEST FILM OF THE MONTH: HELLRAISER: INFERNO (2000). After the shitty HELLRAISER 3 and 4 I didn't have much hope for this fifth installment, which was the first to go straight-to-video. But this is actually really fucking good. It's mostly a HELLRAISER in name only, which is fine by me because I'm not the biggest fan of this franchise to begin with. Even the ones that are considered good are far from being masterpieces. This is more of a psychological horror/thriller cop procedural. It's BAD LIEUTENANT meets JACOB'S LADDER. Pinhead isn't even the movie until the very end and only for about five minutes maybe. Which is just the way I like my Pinhead. Pinheads should be neither seen nor heard. But when he does finally show up Doug Bradley gives a terrific performance. This film isn't perfect. There are a few missteps like the scene where Craig Sheffer gets the shit kicked out of him by two kung fu cowboys. But there is a lot of cool and creepy imagery and I found the resolution to be satisfying. This is the best HELLRAISER film I have seen. A+.

BEST PERFORMANCE OF THE MONTH: Craig Sheffer in HELLRAISER: INFERNO. Sheffer is hardly a great actor, but I thought he was outstanding in this film. He's great as the asshole burnt-out cop driven to the edge by, you know, like all the horror shit that happens in the movie. He's hard-edged and tough and shit and I think he would have made a great Max Payne. He plays the journey to madness very well, confused and fucked up emotionally. Good stuff.

LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD: Enrico Colantoni for GALAXY QUEST.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:17 pm

June: Tastes like veal, only crueler

This month, I came dangerously close to revisiting more films than first time viewings. Allow me to share me adventures.

Worst first time viewing: RETURN TO OZ
A very unengaging sequel. Bad pacing and no real sense of journey or bonding. Very lifeless.

Best first time viewing: EDGE OF TOMORROW
This is exactly what I want from a blockbuster movie. The movie has just the right amount of humour to keep it fun without becoming jokey. There's a good snappy rapport among Cruise, Blunt, and Paxton. Masterful editing keeps it lively and intense. It's got well-staged action knows where to keep its focus. I always related to the action through the characters, it never felt like spectacle for the sake of it. I'd be tempted to call this one an early winner for best movie of the summer, but this summer seems to have a surprising amount of blockbusters that appeal to me. So I'll withhold judgement, but PLANET OF THE APES 2 better be on its game to beat this puppy.

Newfound appreciation: LABYRINTH
I always thought of this as my sister's movie because she watched it non-stop when she was a little girl. It had stuff I liked as a kid, such as Monty Python humour, Muppets, and David Bowie pop music. I just never consciously thought about whether I liked it or not because it was always playing without me ever playing it. Like being hit with a chain and called worthless, it's one of those things that was just an accepted part of childhood. But seeing it again now for the first time in probably over twenty years I've come to appreciate just what a great movie this is. There's just so much packed into this thing. So many funny moments and memorable characters and good songs and life lessons. I look around at all of you now and I can tell you're all thinking the same thing and you just want me to say it because you're scared, so I will. LABYRINTH is better than STAR WARS. You can let out your sigh of relief now. Okay, we clearly all agree on that, moving on, what's for dinner?

Feelings confirmed: INDIANA JONES & THE LAST CRUSADE
I rarely watch this movie. It bugs me in a lot of big ways. It had been several years since I saw it last and I thought since my local grindhouse presented a triple bill of all three Indy movies, it would be a good opportunity to give it another chance. The same stuff still bugs me. I still don't like them overly explaining Indy by having everything that defined him happen in one day. I still don't like seeing him getting belittled by his dad, even though their exchanges are fairly funny. I also still find the stunts, locations, and the overall quest underwhelming, especially compared to the first two. It's not a terrible movie, but I just don't like it.

Best performance: Eric Bogosian in TALK RADIO
In his writing and his acting, Bogosian knows how to keep this complete asshole character highly watchable. I'm kinda surprised this didn't launch Bogosian into a string of supporting asshole roles like the type James Woods or Dennis Leary have made careers out of playing.
Last edited by Spandau Belly on Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby DerLanghaarige on Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:44 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:WORST FILM OF THE MONTH: HELLRAISER 3: HELL ON EARTH (1992).

This is actually my most re-watched HELLRAISER movie! But just because of my shameless, still ongoing celebrity crush on Terry Farrell.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:46 am

DerLanghaarige wrote:But just because of my shameless, still ongoing celebrity crush on Terry Farrell.

That's understandable.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Al Shut on Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:04 am

Through an unholy combination of watching the World Cup and me actually working for a change I only watched three movies in June.

But all is well because The Muppets had rapping Chris Cooper which clearly puts the movie on top of the month no matter how many other movies I would have watched. Just plain glorious.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:57 pm

JULY NOT?

Not a big movie month for me. I was on vacation and shit.

WORST FILM OF THE MONTH: CHILDREN OF THE CORN V: FIELDS OF TERROR (1998). The fourth sequel to a film that was already terrible, this was the debut of Eva Mendes and she plays the dumbest character in a film full of dumb characters. Alexis Arquette is the standout here as a dude with a goatee. He gets the best line in the film: "Mmmm, Smeat!" Cameos: David Carradine, Fred Williamson. Watch with friends and/or drunk, or not at all.

MOST DISAPPOINTING FILM OF THE MONTH: CLOCKERS (1995). Adapted from Richard Price's (excellent) novel, Spike Lee's film is a super-condensed version that unfortunately jettisons a lot of what made the book so great: characters. There are also some jarring scene transitions, some stilted performances, and some of that old Spike Lee standard Loud-And-Inappropriate-Film-Score-During-DIalogue-Scenes. Harvey Keitel and John Turturro are perfectly cast in their roles (I actually pictured Turturro as that character when I read the book) but unfortunately their parts have been whittled down so much they have nothing to work with. There are two great performances in the film from Delroy Lindo and Keith David. There are some really good moments in this film, but a lot of it is so clumsily handled it brings everything down. The ending was especially botched and kinda made the whole thing irredeemable for me. Anyway, there's always the book.

BEST FILM OF THE MONTH THAT WASN'T JACKIE BROWN: UNDER THE SKIN (2013). I really liked this one. My thoughts here.

BEST FILM OF THIS (AND EVERY) MONTH: JACKIE BROWN (1997). Over the past few years this has become my favorite film. Endlessly watchable. Tarantino's best film. The best adaptation of Elmore Leonard's work. One of the best film adaptations ever. Perfection.
Last edited by caruso_stalker217 on Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Spandau Belly on Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:57 pm

Ripples of July in the pool of my heart

I watched a lot of rubbish this month. Let's start with the shit and gradually become more positive.

Worst first time viewing: THANK GOD IT'S FRIDAY (1978)
This is a shitty movie, even by the standard of other ensemble disco comedies like SKATETOWN USA, which I enjoyed. Most of the characters are miserable assholes played by bad actors. And most of the comedy parts are really annoying and overplayed. It was nice to get Donna Summer and the Commodores performing at the end, but that couldn't save this pile.

Biggest disappointment: BLOOD TIES (2013)
A good sexy ensemble cast in a crime movie that mostly ends up being a bunch of anticlimactic bickering and love triangle shit. Most of the great cast phones it in.

Time to break up: Joaquin Phoenix and James Grey
I think THE IMMIGRANT is also the last time I will watch a movie by this James Grey guy. He certainly seems like he's trying and his heart is in the right place. He immitates all the right filmmakers, yet there's something consistently not good enough about everything this guy does. His films just leave me cold thinking he can do better, but it seems he can't. I don't really get why Phoenix keeps working with him. Aside from the overall movies not being that good, Grey doesn't seem to get Phoenix's best work out of him.

Best supporting badass (in a film that isn't worth watching): Mireille Enos in SABOTAGE (2014)
Enos is a tv actress whose big screen roles mostly seem to be thankless wife roles in WORLD WAR Z and GANGSTER SQUAD, but she really shines here as a crackhead SWAT team biker badass. She's got the right mix of trashy and unhinged in this performance. The movie itself is pretty poor. It stops making sense early on, so I was never engaged as it delivered its illogical twists.

Best performance: George Seagal in KING RAT
I guess I'm more familiar with Seagal as an older guy, so I couldn't really imagine him in this role. IMDB says that Steve McQueen passed on the role, and that's exactly who I was picturing while reading the novel. But Seagal nails this character's hustle and edge. The movie is one of those rare cases where a great novel results in a movie that is neither great nor shit, the film is just overall alright. I think if they'd waited a little bit longer and gotten a better director (David Lean), a truly great film could've been made of this novel.

Film I expected to hate but actually quite liked: UNDER THE SKIN
I rarely watch movies that I think I won't like, but some friends kept saying good things about this one so I figured I had to give it a shot. It's surprisingly engaging. It manages to keep things fresh and maintain momentum despite some repetitive scenes and stark style.

Best first time viewing: THE WIND RISES
Probably the best film I'll see all year. Miyazaki makes a brilliant, insightful, and nuanced film about accepting the consequences of progress.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:58 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:Film I expected to hate but actually quite liked: UNDER THE SKIN
I rarely watch movies that I think I won't like, but some friends kept saying good things about this one so I figured I had to give it a shot. It's surprisingly engaging. It manages to keep things fresh and maintain momentum despite some repetitive scenes and stark style.

Sounds like my experience with ONLY GOD FORGIVES.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Al Shut on Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:38 am

Worst film I saw in July was Transformers 3. It's safe to say that me and the Transformers franchise won't become friends anytime soon.

Best was stuff like The Raven or Underworld: Awakening which I would rate slightly interesting.

So overall a pretty mediocre month.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Spandau Belly on Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:41 pm

DerLanghaarige wrote:#0074 Tropic Thunder (DVD)
I don’t think I will ever fall in love with that movie. I “just” like it. It has some good stuff in it. The cast is brillant, although Stiller miscast himself as action hero (I wish he would have given the role to someone like Jason Statham, Vin Diesel or Dwayne Johnson), some of the gags are absolutely hysterical and the parodistic parts are so damn spot on. Unfortunately the characters are kinda blah and I really didn’t care if they become heroes and make it out alive or not.
7/10

I thought Stiller's character in TROPIC THUNDER was supposed to be more a Ben Affleck type of actor than a macho Schwarzenegger type action movie lead. It's been awhile since I've seen it, but wasn't the idea that he was this bimbo who made some ARMAGEDDON type movie that was a hit back in the 90s, and then he made a bunch of bad career choices since then and needs a comeback?

Like I said, it's been awhile since I've seen it, but I thought it was a broader parody of Hollywood clusterfucks like PEARL HARBOR, not a specific parody of macho action movies.

DerLanghaarige wrote:#0078 Insomnia (DVD/1st viewing)
Christopher Nolan’s paycheck movie is a nice, little thriller drama, that could also work as a modern day premium cable mini series. Pacino and Williams give both great intense, but restrained performances and the depiction of how it feels to be awake for too long is surprisingly realistic. Still, I don’t think this one has much of a re-watch value, but it’s a good movie to watch once.
7/10

Have you seen the original? It's more of a BAD LIEUTENANT style character piece than the conventional cop thriller that Nolan's remake turned out to be. Even though Nolan lifted some sequences almost shot-for-shot, and many of the plot points are retained, it ends up being a very different movie.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Ribbons on Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:01 pm

I don't know if Stiller was channeling anybody in particular; he did have an action franchise that the well had run dry on (Scorcher VI: Global Meltdown), but there were also references to several awful Oscar-bait movies that no purely action star would even go near (Simple Jack, that Dumbledore monk preview with Tobey Maguire). I personally had no problem buying Stiller in the role, but now I'm cracking up picturing The Rock doing some of his scenes. He was already halfway there with Hercules:

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:37 pm

I would have enjoyed seeing Dwayne Johnson do the "Full Retard" scene.
caruso_stalker217

Postby DerLanghaarige on Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:11 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:Have you seen the original? It's more of a BAD LIEUTENANT style character piece than the conventional cop thriller that Nolan's remake turned out to be. Even though Nolan lifted some sequences almost shot-for-shot, and many of the plot points are retained, it ends up being a very different movie.

No, unfortunately I never saw it, although when the remake came out, it played constantly on TV. But I heard that the cop is WAY more of a scumbag in that version. Maybe I find it somewhere.

Ribbons wrote: but there were also references to several awful Oscar-bait movies that no purely action star would even go near (Simple Jack, that Dumbledore monk preview with Tobey Maguire).

The Monk movie was a project from RDJ's character actor.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Ribbons on Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:53 pm

Oh yeah, my bad. It's all coming back to me now.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Al Shut on Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:36 am

Ribbons wrote: It's all coming back to me now.

Oh to hell with you, now that song is stuck in my head.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:39 am

Ribbons wrote:I don't know if Stiller was channeling anybody in particular; he did have an action franchise that the well had run dry on (Scorcher VI: Global Meltdown), but there were also references to several awful Oscar-bait movies that no purely action star would even go near (Simple Jack, that Dumbledore monk preview with Tobey Maguire). I personally had no problem buying Stiller in the role, but now I'm cracking up picturing The Rock doing some of his scenes. He was already halfway there with Hercules:

it was definitely an amalgam. i always thought he was riffing off of tom cruise (which made cruise's involvement in the film even funnier), and a pretty obvious dig at sean penn (the whole full retard bit).
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby DerLanghaarige on Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:00 am

August 2014: Journey To The Valley OF The Blue Balls (A Look-backening Tale)

I really suck at movie watching this year. Another month with an unsatisfying amount of watched movies, but at least enough to name SOME favourites.

Favourite Movie (Previously unwatched)
Guardians Of The Galaxy

Favourite Movie That I Had Already Seen
Death To Smoochie

Worst Movie Of The Month
Toys

Acting Awards
Favourite Performance: Al Pacino in Insomnia
2nd Favourite Performance: Joan Cusack in Toys
3rd Favourite Performance: Susan Blakely in My Mom's A Werewolf

The Golden Joss (For movies that were praised as the 2nd coming, but are actually just pretty good or worse):
Tropic Thunder

Tofu Award (For movies that have a bad reputation, but are actually pretty good):
Death To Smoochy
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:05 am

August: Osage County

Most of you are probably wondering why there are no movies left. It is because I watched them all.

Worst first time viewing:C.H.U.D.
This was the worst film I saw this month, that makes it a pretty good month because this film really isn't that bad. This is another one of those b-movies that has built some sort of cult following based mostly on one or two standout scenes in an otherwise flat movie. It is funny how the movie ends with the characters all cheering about resolving a sub-plot while leaving the main plot unresolved.

Scene that should be in every movie:

Seriously, start sticking this in mid-credits during Marvel movies.

That scene is both from the film POSSESSION, and it is my review of it.

Best first time viewing: LA DANZA DE LA REALIDAD
Jodorowsky returns with a new autobiographical film worthy of his mantle. I'd say it is probably his most touching and most funny film. Jodo's son, Brontis, gives an excellent performance as his real life grandfather. I don't know much insight Brontis has into his grandfather's lovemaking style or his amputee brawling techniques, so his performance may not be accurate, but there's no doubt that it is committed.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby DerLanghaarige on Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:42 am

Yeah, I don't like C.H.U.D. too. Such an unbearable snoozefest.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:45 pm

The only reason to watch C.H.U.D. is the for the commentary, which is probably the finest ever recorded.
caruso_stalker217

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:31 pm

AUGUST: A MONTH THAT BARELY HAPPENED

So I didn't really watch shit last month. I only watched eight movies and the only one I hadn't already seen was RAVENOUS, which is an oddball cannibal movie.

That is all.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Spandau Belly on Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:22 am

September Carrino, It's Your Month

I revisited a lot films this month. Mostly they were films I don't watch all that often and forgot how much I like them. ENEMY AT THE GATES is one that I've probably seen three or four times now, but I always forget just how good it is. It's probably the best WW2 hero story movie that I can think of. A great cast across the board, all perfectly cast and doing great work. I miss Bob Hoskins, his portrayal of Khruschchev is just so spot on here. Ed Harris just brings so much to his role and to this movie.

OUT FOR JUSTICE is still a brutal, slick, and hugely rewarding action movie.

And I also got a chance to revisit PURPLE RAIN, this time on the big screen. I saw this movie for the first time a couple years ago, and although I'm not the biggest Prince fan, I really enjoyed it. I found I appreciated it even more the second time. I really admire that Prince doesn't try to make himself relateable and even goes so far as to come across unlikeable for huge portions of the movie. And I also like that it's not about the same things that most other movies about performers are about. The performances are a lot of fun and it's a very unique film that I find very exhilarating to watch.

Okay, onto the first time views.

Best first time viewing: RASHOMON
This is one of those much-respected classics that I felt liked I'd already seen it before I had because it's been discussed and imitated so much, but it was still a totally engaging and timeless masterpiece. I loved watching this. I'm scared of the time when I run out of Kurosawa movies to discover. I hope he comes back and makes some more.

Worst moustache: QUICKSILVER
This is that movie where Kevin Bacon plays a hotshot young stock trader who quits Wall Street after a bad day and becomes a bike messenger. The movie goes all over the place and seems like it wants to say something about values but never really figures it out. It strangely turns into an action movie for its final act with Bacon on his bike against a local gangsta in a car.

The film has plenty of 80s cheese, such as montages of the bike messengers doing tricks to music with lyrics that relate directly to the movie. The best part of the film is when Bacon returns to the stock market for just one day to get his bike messenger pal some money to start his hot dog cart business. Everybody on the trading floor just stares in awe like B.B. King just walked into a small dive bar holding his guitar or something. Bacon's ability to increase the value of stocks through willpower is impressive, but the movie just wasn't silly enough for my tastes. He needed to ride his bike onto the trading floor and do bike tricks while making trading deals or something.

There's also a pretty funny running gag throughout the movie that it's obviously filmed in different cities. I think it's supposed to be set in New York, but it's so obviously L.A. most of the time. The funniest is when Bacon has a bike race against Morpheus and the filmmakers decide that hilled streets would make the bike race more dramatic, so portions of the bike race take place in San Fransisco.

Turning the corner: ZATOICHI & THE CHEST OF GOLD
I've been working my way through this series and this one was the best so far. It felt the most like a movie. The previous instlalments felt more like a tv series.

Better than I expected: SIN CITY 2: A DAME TO KILL FOR
This one was surprisingly enjoyable. I'll probably write a bit more about it when I have the time.

Far worse than I expected: GODZILLA (2014)
I was really surprised at how thoughtless this movie was. This was easily the weakest blockbuster film I saw this summer.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:09 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:And I also got a chance to revisit PURPLE RAIN, this time on the big screen. I saw this movie for the first time a couple years ago, and although I'm not the biggest Prince fan, I really enjoyed it. I found I appreciated it even more the second time. I really admire that Prince doesn't try to make himself relateable and even goes so far as to come across unlikeable for huge portions of the movie. And I also like that it's not about the same things that most other movies about performers are about. The performances are a lot of fun and it's a very unique film that I find very exhilarating to watch.

this is such an odd bird of a film. i can never figure out how self-aware they were about how misogynistic the film is. on the one hand, morris day plays a total sexist pig who dumps, or ahem, has his assistant, dump women in dumpsters and shit, and he's portrayed as a total clown, but then the hero of the film is a guy who belts his girlfriend across the face after she gives him a super-nice (and i'm sure super-expensive) customized guitar. but it's ok, because he sings a pretty song at the end so she goes back to him. of course, his father is a serial wifebeater too, so maybe they're trying to make a statement about abuse being passed down in the family, the sins of the father, etc etc. but its not like prince actually does anything to make up for his crimes or to address his anger issues (putting your daddy's music in nice neat piles doesn't count). half the men in this film do shit that would get you kicked out of the NFL these days, makes you wonder if this kind of casual domestic violence was just more accepted back then.

and the fact that prince is cast in the lead lends his character an automatic sympathy that seems to gloss over all the cruel and sexist things he does and says. i saw the film recently at a screening too, that happened to have a lot of (drunken) female audience members, and it went something like this:

Prince tricks girlfriend into stripping and jumping into a cold lake.
women in audience: "WOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!"
then he pulls away on his motorcycle, making her think he's leaving her there with no way to get back.
more women in audience: "you're beautiful!"
then he comes back, but tells her not to get his seat wet.
drunk woman 3 seats over: "I love you, Prince!"

like you say, it is just so odd to see a film that is obviously at least partly biographical, starring an at-the-time one of the biggest pop stars in the world with a huge female following, made as a launch vehicle for his film career and probably also a bit of a vanity (no pun intended) project, AND see it portray the central character in such a negative light, AND have it seem to totally go over the heads of most of his fans in the audience. i'd love to pick prince's brain and find out what he really intended to get across with this film, but of course that's never gonna happen.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Spandau Belly on Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:38 pm

The complex portrayal of domestic violence is one of the things I like most about the film. It would've been easier to make the movie so that Prince was a good guy and Prince's father was just some bully who needs to be stood up to. Having Prince fight these tendencies in himself was a lot more interesting to me. I do think it was the intention of the film to be that Prince was struggling with the influence that his father's behaviour and his unstable home life had on him. I would say the lyrics of 'When Doves Cry' are about a man struggling with his identity/behaviour and not liking everything he sees. That song does come in right after Prince beats Apollonia, and I would say he looks angry at himself for beating her. Maybe if he was a better actor he could've show his self-disgust better. But I thought the subject matter was well-handled. I wouldn't say he's "cured" at the end (I'm glad they don't go for that extreme a character transformation), but I think he's figure out a lot of what made his father abusive and how to avoid going down that road.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Spandau Belly on Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:32 pm

October: The Gift of Mucous

This was a pretty good month. Lots of good movies, and lots of good performances within those movies. Let's get crackin'!

Shailene on Screen: The Films of Shailene Woodley
I saw three films starring this chick this month. She's really good at crying. She can do the movie cry. The less dignified more realistic slobbery version of crying. The tears of joy. The type of tender crying where the person crying doesn't realize they are crying because they're in the middle of saying something really heartfelt. The wimper of quiet defeat. All of them. I'd hate to take my crying test after her in acting school.

All I ever hear is people giving her shit for not being pretty enough to be a movie star or mocking her for following Jennifer Lawrence's career path too closely, but I find her average looks play well into her characters and would say she's a decent actress.

Best first time viewing of October: It's a tie between THE SPECTACULAR NOW and NIGHTCRAWLER
Two really good films featuring strong writing and excellent performances. I reviewed both of them here in The Zone, so I don't have much more to add.

Best performance: Roy Scheider in ALL THAT JAZZ, honourable mention to Jake Gyllenhaal in NIGHTCRAWLER
Scheider once again dines on Paul Newman's scraps. Newman passed on SORCERER and this film, and in my opinion Scheider struck gold with his work in these film. ALL THAT JAZZ definitely got me to see Scheider in a new light. It's a different type of performance for him and he creates a very layered character.

Film that has aged the worst: THE MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH
David Bowie plays a space martian from England who comes to USA to start a megacorporation selling cameras. He strikes up a romance with a moron and tries to build a rocket to go back to his planet, but the American government regulates awesomeness and forces him to scrap his private space program and settle for becoming a pop star. The movie was full of that self-indulgent acid freakout hippie stuff that just drags it out too long. You can see this films influence on guys who made better sci-fi movies, namely Terry Gilliam and Luc Besson. If you were on acid in the 70s, this was probably an amazing movie, but watching it sober today is a bit of a bore. I can't believe that I saw David Bowie and Rip Torn's dicks in the same movie. I mean, Bowie whipping it out isn't much of a surprise, but Rip Torn's cock I did not expect.

Most disappointing: NIGHT OF THE CREEPS
I used to read a joke movie review site that took its name from this movie. The guys who wrote for that site are probably all in jail now. They would say the some of the most shocking shit I'd read in a movie review, and so they built this movie up a little too much. It's not bad. It's written and directed by Fred Dekker, who dated and recently got back together with Shane Black. So there's a good emphasis on banter. Actually, there's so much emphasis on banter that the horror stuff and other plotlines never seem to be going anywhere. Things pick up right at the end, but most of the movie feels like its going nowhere.

Pleasant b-movie surprise: NIGHT OF THE COMET
This one was a lot of fun. An enjoyable snappy gurl-party take on the zombie apocalypse subgenre starring that chick from CHOPPING MALL and some other chick who looks like a Patrick Nagel painting brought to life. When it tries to really be a Romero movie it gets a little less entertaining, but it's mostly tongue-in-cheek and the acting is better than you usually get from these types of movies.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby DerLanghaarige on Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:22 pm

Yeah, I've been so predictable and spent October with watching horror movies. But although there were some good ones that I already knew, there was nothing to really write home about. I still appreciate the Rob Zombie HALLOWEENs more than most people do, I guess.And while MODERN VAMPIRES is a completely bonkers movie, it's not a good one.

Spandau Belly wrote:Most disappointing: NIGHT OF THE CREEPS
I used to read a joke movie review site that took its name from this movie. The guys who wrote for that site are probably all in jail now. They would say the some of the most shocking shit I'd read in a movie review, and so they built this movie up a little too much. It's not bad. It's written and directed by Fred Dekker, who dated and recently got back together with Shane Black. So there's a good emphasis on banter. Actually, there's so much emphasis on banter that the horror stuff and other plotlines never seem to be going anywhere. Things pick up right at the end, but most of the movie feels like its going nowhere..

Yeah, after having seen it for the first time since my teenage years, I still seem to enjoy it more than you did, but its flaws also became WAY more apparent to me. And basically it made me realize that Fred Dekker didn't earn its cult status at all. He is someone, who has lots of good ideas, but fails to turn them into good or at least coherent movies. Not to mention that MONSTER SQUAD was pretty bad (Sorry, I really don't like it) and ROBOCOP 3 was...well...ROBOCOP 3! So 2 out of the 3 movies he directed were bad to unwatchable and his best one was just fun enough to actually give it a "Yeah, it's pretty cool" seal of approval.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Al Shut on Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:07 pm

My favourite in October was Gyakuten saiban, the Phoenix Wright movie from Takashi Miike. I was vehemently entertained by it's insanity and the absolute worst hairstyles I've ever witnessed in a movie, both especially evident when you get a direct comparison between the main characters hair and a surprise witness cockatoo.

Least favourite was Battleship which was completely moronic but at the same time not very entertaining.
Last edited by Al Shut on Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:56 pm

November: The Borsch Awakens

I was in India for most of November, so most of the movies I saw were on the airplane. The airlines had a good selections of movies I wanted to revisit, some movies I felt like checking out, and some other stuff.

Best Jason Statham movie: JOHN WICK
Keanu plays Statham in a fun shoot 'em up dog vengeance flick with a solid supporting cast. Sadly, I guess Rade Serbedzija died, so they got Michael Niqvist to play him. Niqvist just can't chew the scenary the way Serbedzija could and so he's a little underwhelming as the big bad. Everybody else brings good personality to the proceedings, especially the guy playing the concierge at the hitman hotel. He and Keanu get some good humorous exchanges that help break up the monotany of headshots. Adrienne Palicki proves to be the film's most entertaining villain and seems to be having a good time. I would totally be down for JOHN WICK RETURNS, or since everybody needs movies to be crossed with other movies, JOHN WICK MEETS THE TRANSPORTER.

Hollywood Trainwreck: THE FRIGHTENERS
There's the type of Hollywood trainwreck I like and the type I don't. This one is right in the middle. The only thing saving this from being a WILD WILD WEST level disaster is Jeffery Combs's performance. I tend to think the filmmakers realize this too because he gets a huge amount of screen time considering his character is really only a secondary villain. The rest of it just a bloated mess and I honestly can't believe Peter Jackson ever got to make a big budget movie again.

Mildly disappointing: FROZEN (2013)
I'd heard this one was a real return to form for Disney, which it is, but it's sadly not a return to peak quality. It's not a bad movie, but the storytelling is a little awkward. I think trying to shoehorn villains into a story that wasn't about beating a bad guy kinda hurt the movie. Also, the songs aren't very catchy and the musical numbers aren't that well staged. They also frequently felt like they were cut short. Especially that opening bit with the ice-cutters, that should've been way longer. This is definitely more of a second rate late-90s Disney flick. It's a MULAN level flick.

The Cut & Paste Award: NEED FOR SPEED
This is one of those movies like DOOMSDAY where they take a bunch of films from one genre and stitch them together while bringing no distinct voice of their own to the material. This one takes bits and pieces from a small handful of late 70s early 80s car smash movies. If you don't knwo those films so well, this is probably a watchable mediocre movie, but I know this subgenre pretty well, so I found this somewhat surreal to watch.

Somewhat surprising: JERSEY BOYS
My usual rule of thumb is that if Clint Eastwood is directing but not starring in the film, it is going to be terrible. I watched this film safe in the knowledge that nobody could make two films as awful as J. EDGAR in their career and found this one was pretty enjoyable. Maybe my expectations were low, but I always liked The Four Seasons's music and found this to be a pretty good depiction of the group dynamic and the tensions that come from four criminals working and traveling together.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby so sorry on Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:32 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:November: The Borsch Awakens
Mildly disappointing: FROZEN (2013)

...Also, the songs aren't very catchy....

40 billion kids under the age of 10 (and their parents) will have to agree to disagree .
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby DerLanghaarige on Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:18 am

Spandau Belly wrote:November: The Borsch Awakens

Hollywood Trainwreck: THE FRIGHTENERS
There's the type of Hollywood trainwreck I like and the type I don't. This one is right in the middle. The only thing saving this from being a WILD WILD WEST level disaster is Jeffery Combs's performance. I tend to think the filmmakers realize this too because he gets a huge amount of screen time considering his character is really only a secondary villain. The rest of it just a bloated mess and I honestly can't believe Peter Jackson ever got to make a big budget movie again.

Oh god, I so disagree with you on this, that it isn't even funny anymore. Although I do admit that the movie HAS some huge flaws, but at least they can be all explained (from certain plotholes to the at times seriously shitty FX) with the rushed post production. (Short form: Universal loved the rough cut of the movie so much, that they decided to open it in summer and not on Halloween, as it was originally planned. Unfortunately they didn't mean the summer AFTER that Halloween.) But seriously, the movie has so much to love, from Jeffrey Combs' mega acting, to a surprisingly great performance by Michael J. Fox and the 100% working tonal shift from light hearted paranormal comedy to dark serial killer thriller, that it's impossible to consider it any kind of train wreck. More like a mild bicycle crash. It hurts a bit and your splashguard might have a dent, but all in all it was still an enjoyable ride.

ANYWAY...

I really hate that I don't have time for any movies this year. Especially now, that VoD REALLY took off here in Germany! But really? Only 6 movies in November? Ouch!

The best one I didn't know before was CLUE, although it was still no homerun. I won't rule out that I will learn to really love it on repeated viewings, though. My favourite was of course 1941. Feel free to disagree with me on this one, but it will only make you look like a moron, because you know that this movie is awesome! The biggest disappointment was THE HEAT, which really was just a little bit saved by its kinda entertaining 2nd half, but...really just KINDA saved. I wouldn't watch the sequel. CASE DE MI PADRE gets bonus points for its completely straight faced weirdness and FRAKTUS gets some for creating a band, that walks the difficult path between "Ha ha, look at how shitty they are"-parody and "Well, they really did their homework and put some effort into it"-homage.

Got nothing to say about VIDEO GAME: THE MOVIE.
Last edited by DerLanghaarige on Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:37 am

I figured THE FRIGHTENERS would have its fans. And I get that the zaniness of it probably goes a lot further with some people than others. Fox's performance as the lead was fine, and that Kat Dennings-Andie MacDowell hybrid is fine as the love interest but I never really cared about either of them. As I said in my initial blurb, Jeffery Combs's performance is brilliant. But I found most of the supporting characters annoyingly cartoonish.

I found the disco Mr. T guy annoying, the 1950s nerd guy didn't really do anything for me, R. Lee Emery playing a parody of R. Lee Emery got annoying fast because all he does is shout, and the fitness fanatic who's obsessed with garden gnomes was just shrill.

I'll give the movie credit for wrapping up all its many plotlines by the end of the film, it's just that it all reaches that Gore Verbinski level of bloated and overstuffed where all I can do is check out. It's strange, I think Peter Jackson had like 50 ideas for ghost movies and crammed them all into this one movie, then after this his approach shifted to taking one story and dragging it out over ten movies.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Al Shut on Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:00 pm

Least favorite of November was 'Die Gruft mit dem Rätselschoss". Some of these old German Edgar Wallace movie just aren't very good. I believe I've said the same thing about another movie already but the most entertaining thing was to see how spot on the parodies of those movies are in some scenes.

Favorite of the month was 'The Bourne Legacy'. I kind of liked how the super-spy program was taken to a point I can only assume is science-fiction although I was a bit disappointed Jeremy Renner's character wasn't fully effected by the withdrawal of his enhancement drugs. Imagine a movie where the hero gets dumber by the minute until he lacks the mental capacity to understand the question 'Where are you from?'. I'd watch the hell out of that.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:09 pm

Al Shut wrote:Imagine a movie where the hero gets dumber by the minute until he lacks the mental capacity to understand the question 'Where are you from?

Dude, that's like CRANK 3 right there!
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Al Shut on Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:35 pm

DerLanghaarige wrote:FRAKTUS gets some for creating a band, that walks the difficult path between "Ha ha, look at how shitty they are"-parody and "Well, they really did their homework and put some effort into it"-homage.

I skipped it when it was on TV last month but after seeing Fraktus on 'Mord mit Aussicht' this week I'm kind of intrigued.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby bastard_robo on Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:46 am

Middle of December, I begin what I call my "Catch up". Pretty much everything people have told me to watch over the year will now be viewed in this next 2 weeks.

22 Jump Street
Jodorowsky's Dune
Snowpiercer
Afflicted
Automata

There's more, I just can't recall at the sec
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby DerLanghaarige on Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:05 am

Okay, here we go with the last look back at 2014!

The December 2014 Look-Backening: Die 2014, Die!

Favourite movie (Previously unseen)

The Lego Movie

Favourite old movie (Previously unseen)
A Christmas Story

Favourite movie that I had already seen
Snow Day

Favourite old movie that I had already seen
Ernest Saves Christmas

Acting Awards
Favourite performance: Bill Goldberg in SANTA'S SLAY
2nd favourite performance: Julian Beck in POLTERGEIST 2: THE OTHER SIDE
3rd favourite performance: Noelle Parker in ERNEST SAVES CHRISTMAS

Worst Movie Of The Month
Deck The Halls

The Tofu Award (For movies that have a bad reputation, but are actually pretty good)
Poltergeist 2: The Other Side

Bonus Tofu Shoutout:
Unaccompanied Minors
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion