ANT-MAN

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: ANT-MAN

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:27 pm

I can see this never happening now. It's a movie that Marvel didn't really need to make. And I think most of the interested in it were doing so because of Edgar Wright and Joe Cornish's involvement.

Otherwise, without a shit load of marketing, it has a limited appeal. It could cease production now and most people wouldn't have heard about it.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:32 am

Fried Gold wrote:I think most of the interested in it were doing so because of Edgar Wright and Joe Cornish's involvement.

You are right about that, but you are wrong about this, unfortunately:

Fried Gold wrote:I can see this never happening now.

Marvel's going forward with this, come hell or high water... whichever one is worse, really.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/jun/24/ant-man-to-retain-core-edgar-wright-dna-marvel
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:26 pm

How Marvel Became the Envy (and Scourge) of Hollywood
Ike Perlmutter has become one of the town's most feared (and frugal) moguls. Now, as "Guardians of the Galaxy" takes the $6 billion-grossing brand in a new and risky direction, insiders open up about the never-seen executive's ironfisted style and the underside of a superhero empire.
Kim Masters wrote:When Marvel began financing its own movies, the company made unconventional choices for directors such as Jon Favreau (Iron Man) and Kenneth Branagh (Thor). But both are said to have moved on in large part because Marvel was not willing to make the type of deal directors expect after launching a franchise. Feige now seems increasingly confident in managing the movies himself, relying on fresh directors to execute his vision. "They actually do good things for these filmmakers," says one talent rep. "Who was Shane Black? But Iron Man 3 — totally entertaining."

When it comes to creative decision-making, a source with knowledge of the players says Perlmutter is largely reliant on the soft-spoken Feige, who has found a way to accommodate his boss while getting what he wants. "Kevin never says, 'I would pay you, but Ike won't let me,' " says an exec who has worked on the films. "He's kept to the company line — always loyal to Ike." But Perlmutter's longtime associate Alan Fine, president of Marvel Entertainment, runs the creative committee, and chief counsel David Galluzzi takes the lead on dealmaking.

As the highly detail-oriented man in charge of Marvel's creative strategy, Feige works closely with a team that includes Louis D'Esposito, who runs physical production, and Victoria Alonso, who handles effects and postproduction. The line between creative and production blurs on Marvel films. "Louis understands how films physically get made but with a more creative bent," explains one source. "He has sort of created a situation where he hires people almost apart from the director — a conceptual artist, this and that — because they're part of the Marvel brand." (Production designer Charles Wood, for example, moved from the Thor sequel to Guardians.)

While on most movies the power resides with the director and top stars, at Marvel those players have little influence. "They view the director as executing their vision," says an exec involved with the company. Another says Feige monitors filming so closely that rather than wait for dailies, he's often on set and "sees the takes as the directors see the takes."

Another distinctive Marvel trait is the assumption that a film can be shaped in postproduction, which is Alonso's domain. "If you're a director and 75 percent of the script is good, you have to rely on them to finish and complete the movie," says this observer. An exec with experience on Marvel movies concurs: "The approach is more like animation than live action — 'We can tweak it.' "

Underlying Marvel's success, says one talent rep, is that "they know what their brand is, and they stick to it. … The minute you deviate, like Patty Jenkins [fired in 2011 as director of the Thor sequel], they get rid of you." But this source notes admiringly: "They manage to not just change the outfits of their superheroes. They've actually created a Captain America brand versus a Thor brand versus an Iron Man brand."

The tantalizing question now is whether Marvel can create a Guardians of the Galaxy brand and an Ant-Man brand. "Now they're trying some lesser characters, and it's a little more creatively risky," says an executive with Marvel experience. "But who knows? If you can sell Captain America, maybe you can sell Ant-Man."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby so sorry on Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:56 pm

TheButcher wrote:How Marvel Became the Envy (and Scourge) of Hollywood
"Who was Shane Black?

so sorry
Deacon Blues

Peyton Reed's ANT-MAN

Postby TheButcher on Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:40 pm

As Of Today, Marvel's ANT-MAN Movie...
merrick wrote:A very long, bumpy, and confusing road has carried us to this point, but it looks like the ANT-MAN movie begins filming today.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:47 pm

Our long national nightmare is over
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:51 am

I thought it had already started filming.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:56 pm

Fried Gold wrote:I thought it had already started filming.

It almost started but then Edgar quit.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:26 am

Adam McKay Talks Rewriting ANT-MAN with Paul Rudd; Reveals They Added “a Giant Action Sequence”, Made the Film Bigger and “a Little More Aggressive”
Adam Chitwood wrote:With Wright leaving the project so close to production, many of the action set pieces had no doubt already been storyboarded and pre-visualized, but McKay says the amount of Wright’s action beats versus the amount of new action beats in the finished film is “half and half”:
“We added some new action beats. I grew up on Marvel Comics so the geek in me was in heaven that I got to add a giant action sequence to the movie; I was so excited. So we did, we added some cool new action. There’s a lot that’s already in there from what Edgar did, there’s a lot of dialogue and character still in there.

As for what, specifically, McKay and Rudd added to the script, McKay says it was a matter of streamlining the story and expanding the scope:
“We just shaped the whole thing, we just tried to streamline it, make it cleaner, make it a little bigger, a little more aggressive, make it funnier in places—we just basically did a rewrite. Edgar had a really good script. But we just had a blast, and Rudd was just so much fun to write with. I walked away saying, ‘Hey, you and I gotta write a script together.’”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Edgar Wright's 'Ant-Man'

Postby TheButcher on Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:58 am

Evangeline Lilly on Edgar Wright's 'Ant-Man' Plans:
"It Would Have Stuck Out Like A Sore Thumb"

Wright's vision "wouldn't have fit in the Marvel Universe"

Graeme McMillan wrote:Calling herself “shocked” by Wright’s departure, she said that the revised version of the Ant-Man script brought the movie closer to other Marvel movies. “I mean, they’ve established a universe, and everyone has come to expect a certain aesthetic [and] a certain feel for Marvel films,” Lilly told Buzzfeed, adding that “what Edgar was creating was much more in the Edgar Wright camp of films. They were very different.”

Although she believes that Wright’s vision “would have been, like, classic comic book — it would have been such a riot to film [and] it would have been so much fun to watch,” she said that it “wouldn’t have fit in the Marvel Universe. It would have stuck out like a sore thumb, no matter how good it was. It just would have taken you away from this cohesive universe they’re trying to create.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:51 pm

This is the drawback of the whole interconnected universe trend that studios are so hot on now. So the movie was Wright's idea, the whole reason Marvel made it was to work with Wright, they spent years developing it together, but they'd rather fire him and cobble something together at the last second because it would have "stuck out." It's sad to think that a movie like The Dark Knight couldn't exist anymore.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fievel on Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:00 pm

Ribbons wrote:It's sad to think that a movie like The Dark Knight couldn't exist anymore.

And there you have it - the simple truth of it all.
So very, very sad.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Ribbons on Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:46 pm

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:43 pm

All kinds of meh coming off of this one:

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:57 am

I wouldn't say, "meh", it did what a good teaser should, I think. looks pretty good from what I see, though I expect the scope of this is much smaller than recent Marvel flicks like Winter Soldier or Guardians so that might seem like a let down for some who wanted Marvel to keep going bigger with each movie.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby so sorry on Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:53 am

Peven wrote:I wouldn't say, "meh", it did what a good teaser should, I think. looks pretty good from what I see, though I expect the scope of this is much smaller than recent Marvel flicks like Winter Soldier or Guardians so that might seem like a let down for some who wanted Marvel to keep going bigger with each movie.

I see what you (unintentionally) did there!

I guess the next trailer will be more on the humorous side then? I can't tell if this is going for a comedy vibe vs. serious comic-book movie. I haven't seen Guardians of the Galaxy, but that looked like more of a fun-adventure movie with a funny vibe vs. say Thor. I will continue to struggle with picturing Paul Rudd as a superhero. Almost every character he's played I want to smack for being so douchey. And yet I've seen alot of his movies...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:37 am

i hope he remembered to wear his Sex Panther.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:31 am

1. It was better than I expected.
2. It was a lot less zaney than I was expecting.
3. I get the impression the actual movie will be a lot more zaney, and more what I'd expect from a Paul Rudd movie directed by Peyton Reed and written by Adam McKay.
4. I was only really interested in seeing an Edgar Wright movie, so I have next to nothing invested in this.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:13 am

its a hit, i'm calling it, just like i did with GotG :wink:

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:04 pm

Yikes. That does not look like something I am interested in. First time I have said that about a Marvel film in some time!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:17 pm

I thought it looked OK. I have zero interest/recognition of the source material, but I'd say that looks like a fun looking flick.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:21 pm

the train bit at the end was funny.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Ribbons on Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:20 pm

Yeah, I enjoyed that as well. Hopefully there are more moments like that in the film.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fievel on Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:53 pm

TheBaxter wrote:the train bit at the end was funny.

Any time Thomas the Train is a possible object of pain and death, that's a good thing in my book.
That trailer made it seem much more interesting than anything preceding it. I'm also glad to see that Corey Stoll is in this. I've liked him since that short-lived Law & Order LA. His wig is absolute shit on The Strain, but I still like him.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:40 pm

corey stoll is all over the place these days it seems.

hey! i bet he'd make a good roland in the dark tower!
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Ribbons on Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:29 pm

I'm probably not the only one who noticed, but just pointing out, that scene where Ant-Man does his size-fu on the two goons in a hallway and runs up the barrel of a gun is re-worked from that test footage Edgar Wright shot a couple years ago*. Which for me is kind of encouraging, actually; hopefully it's not the only idea of his they managed to smuggle in there.

*and here it is!

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby minstrel on Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:33 am

I have no idea what to think of this based on that trailer. Action movie? Serious superhero thriller? Complete and utter spoof? Dunno. I kind of like it, though. I won't bother seeing it in the theater, but I'll probably get the Blu-Ray.

Not sure what I think about Paul Rudd in the lead. He hasn't really impressed me in anything else I've seen him in (Anchorman). I was a bit surprised to see Michael Douglas in this.

It's all so confusing! But if it gets all the world's ants to buy tickets and flood the theaters, it'll make bank. I think that's Marvel's big plan.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Peven on Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:53 am

this is going to be a big success at the box office, not as big as Guardians perhaps but I think it is going to be compared in regard to it being a "surprise" hit. there are aspects of this that are going to appeal to a wide array of audience demographics, from people my age or even older down to little kids just cutting their teeth on the MCU. teens. mom&dad and the kids, middle-aged guy who loves Paul Rudd movies, etc :wink:

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:26 pm

Peven wrote:this is going to be a big success at the box office, not as big as Guardians perhaps but I think it is going to be compared in regard to it being a "surprise" hit. there are aspects of this that are going to appeal to a wide array of audience demographics, from people my age or even older down to little kids just cutting their teeth on the MCU. teens. mom&dad and the kids, middle-aged guy who loves Paul Rudd movies, etc :wink:

At this point, it is hard to doubt Marvel. They just seem to have a knack for printing money. But I am going to do it anyway. My prediction is that this ends up as either the lowest grossing MCU film (below Incredible Hulk's $134 million domestic) or their second lowest (below Cap's $176 million). Now, obviously that is nothing to look down your nose at. And I am sure many would argue that turning Ant-Man into a 9 figure earner is a victory. But the media is ready for Marvel to stumble. They have to be sick of this success narrative. And I think an "adequate" Ant-Man opening will not be spun positively by most in the entertainment media.

Of course, now it is going to gross like $225 million and make me look all foolish (and make Peven look like a prophet). So be it.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:13 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:
Peven wrote:this is going to be a big success at the box office, not as big as Guardians perhaps but I think it is going to be compared in regard to it being a "surprise" hit. there are aspects of this that are going to appeal to a wide array of audience demographics, from people my age or even older down to little kids just cutting their teeth on the MCU. teens. mom&dad and the kids, middle-aged guy who loves Paul Rudd movies, etc :wink:

At this point, it is hard to doubt Marvel. They just seem to have a knack for printing money. But I am going to do it anyway. My prediction is that this ends up as either the lowest grossing MCU film (below Incredible Hulk's $134 million domestic) or their second lowest (below Cap's $176 million). Now, obviously that is nothing to look down your nose at. And I am sure many would argue that turning Ant-Man into a 9 figure earner is a victory. But the media is ready for Marvel to stumble. They have to be sick of this success narrative. And I think an "adequate" Ant-Man opening will not be spun positively by most in the entertainment media.

Of course, now it is going to gross like $225 million and make me look all foolish (and make Peven look like a prophet). So be it.

:-P :wink:

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:56 pm

i predict this movie will have a lower-grossing opening weekend than 7 Fast 7 Furious.
unless Paul Rudd dies before then, in which case it will outgross Avengers 1 & 2 combined.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:00 pm

I picture a Marvel exec reading that and for a moment going, "hhmmmmm" as they rub their chin contemplatively......

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Re: Marvel vs Directors

Postby TheButcher on Tue May 05, 2015 10:57 am

Leckomaniac wrote:The answer appears to be: the studio wanted it.

Joss Whedon on Fighting With Marvel Over 'Avengers: Age of Ultron': "It Got Really, Really Unpleasant"
The director reveals that he wanted to include Spider-Man in the film, to no avail.
As it turns out, Avengers: Age of Ultron's battles didn't only happen on screen.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: ANT-MAN/Phase Three

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:49 pm

Paul Rudd and Marvel's Kevin Feige Reveal 'Ant-Man's' Saga, from Director Shuffle to Screenplay Surgery to Studio's "Phase Three" Plans
The new superhero and the Marvel movie chief discuss the 10-year fight to make the fan favorite, bold plans for expanding the brand's universe (Spider-Man crossovers! Ava DuVernay directing 'Black Panther'?) and Hollywood's female director problem: "There's a big shift happening."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:48 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:35 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:36 pm

EXCLUSIVE: ANT-MAN Director Peyton Reed Talks Sequels, Comic Nerds, Villains And More!
Ant-Man hits theaters tomorrow, July 17th, and I recently had the chance to sit down and speak with director Peyton Reed to discuss sequels, comic nerds that may surprise you, villains, Guardians, Fantastic Four and more!
SPOILERS AHEAD!!!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby DerLanghaarige on Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:49 am

DerLanghaarige wrote:Early test footage of Rudd in the Ant-Man suit!!!!!!

Well...we knew it was about to happen and we all wanted it to happen.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby so sorry on Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:25 am

.......and its still not funny!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:54 pm

WHIH EXCLUSIVE: Scott Lang Interview
Christine Everhart talks one-on-one with cyber-criminal Scott Lang via video interview from San Quentin.

Lots of little hints at Marvel Phase 3 in that video.

How Ant-Man Director Peyton Reed Fell Out With Fox Over Fantastic Four (Exclusive)
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:44 am

Absolutely loved every second of this film. Best Marvel flick after Winter Solider. Just pure cinematic joy.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:25 am

The secret origin of Ant-Man:
SPOILERS
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:41 pm

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:40 pm

this was a pretty good movie, but not great, not as fun or engaging as Guardians of the Galaxy for sure. the first 20 minutes or so was kind of weak, really, though it got better as it picked up momentum and the story started tightening up as the action increased. kid of a bleh villain, more of a dick than evil or scary. i give it a 3.25 out of 5

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Fievel on Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:52 pm

Thought it was "good but not great" as well. I was entertained, for sure. But it just seemed like too many things weren't developed enough.
-Pym's past
-Pym's wife/Wasp
-Cross/Yellowjacket
-Lang himself. The shitty early expository line about having a Masters degree in engineering implied his intelligence, but other than some really mild tinkering we didn't see that expanded.
-Shield/Hydra. Okay, they were forced into the story...and yup -they were forced into the story.
-Oh look! An Avenger!

Like I said, I was entertained, but it could have been better.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Peven on Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:53 pm

honestly, I probably am being too kind, but by setting up things the way they did at the end for more to come it earns at least a .25 point

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:51 pm

I agree with the "good but not great" comments. This is the first time that I really felt the complaint that Marvel movies are too light and popcorn-y. Ant-Man is short and fast-paced, and because of that there's really no time to let moments breathe. There were a few (very brief) stabs at emotion that just didn't land. Hell, the entire second act is a training montage. On the plus side, it also means you have less time to reflect on how the shrinking technology and ants don't actually have anything to do with each other.

Still, having a thief steal the suit is a cool hook into the story, it's genuinely funny a lot of the time, and there are some pretty impressive set pieces, especially the one at the end where the two bad guys get smaller and... other things get bigger. I'm glad I saw it, not sure how much I'd say I actually liked it though.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Ribbons on Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:43 pm

Also: expect an upswing in Thomas the Tank Engine sales
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Ribbons on Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:09 pm

There's going to be a sequel to Ant-Man, called Ant-Man and the Wasp. Yay...?

http://collider.com/ant-man-2-release-date-title-2018-wasp/
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re: Ant-Man and the Wasp

Postby TheButcher on Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:10 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion