Doctor Strange (Now w/ 33.3% More Inception)

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: Doctor Strange (Now w/ 33.3% More Inception)

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:25 am

I'm trying to unpack my own feelings about the trailer. I've come around a little, from being underwhelmed to thinking Doctor Strange looks pretty cool. However, there's a weird sense of detachment from what's happening on screen, because the stakes are... buildings being flipped around and the world going all tilty? It's that idea that even fantasy films have to have some rules or internal logic governing them, otherwise the audience has no reason to care. Not that I'm saying there won't be rules or logic in this instance, just that I don't know what they are yet.

A couple things I think we can all expect though:

1) Doctor Strange will be an arrogant, wise-cracking jerk in the Marvel vein

2) He will be humbled before learning to save the world, in the Marvel vein

3) A landmark building will be destroyed
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:01 am

Producing visual effects like that are only going to court chatter about how it looks like a redux of Inception. And I would think someone at Marvel must've known that.

Otherwise it's going to be the standard Marvel movie fayre, but with added "mysticism". I'm assuming they'll be tieing the magic as having an advanced technological influence, else it might feel a bit weird.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:15 am

aside from the visual flair in the trailer there does seem to be the standard elements of a Marvel story plugged in. at their best that Marvel template works for fun entertaining movies that aren't weighed down by anything heavy duty either intellectually or emotionally. the more I think about it the more this movie might be the toughest yet for Marvel to adapt successfully because I don't think that formula will be adequate to tell the Dr Strange story in a truly engaging way. the DC style seems to be better for this, to be honest, they would give things more weight and seriousness to the story and Dr Strange and/or his sidekicks wouldn't be cracking wise while dimensions were bending and the survival of all mankind was at at stake.

and the best route of all would have been Netflix, given that they have shown to be the best producers of comic stories, imo, and I think would have been able to balance the dark elements with the fantastical elements well while giving plenty of time for the character to develop and grow into his role as THE Dr Strange

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:57 pm

Peven wrote:the more I think about it the more this movie might be the toughest yet for Marvel to adapt successfully because I don't think that formula will be adequate to tell the Dr Strange story in a truly engaging way. the DC style seems to be better for this, to be honest, they would give things more weight and seriousness to the story and Dr Strange and/or his sidekicks wouldn't be cracking wise while dimensions were bending and the survival of all mankind was at at stake.

Here's a fun fact: George R.R. Martin wanted to write issues of "Doctor Strange" for Marvel!!! :shock: OMG, right? With the one catch that they could never change back any change he makes or bring back any character he kills.

After careful consideration, Marvel reluctantly passed on the offer, probably afraid that Spider-Man would rape Mary Jane and Wolverine would become a Dumbledore stripper.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:28 am

Ribbons wrote:
Peven wrote:the more I think about it the more this movie might be the toughest yet for Marvel to adapt successfully because I don't think that formula will be adequate to tell the Dr Strange story in a truly engaging way. the DC style seems to be better for this, to be honest, they would give things more weight and seriousness to the story and Dr Strange and/or his sidekicks wouldn't be cracking wise while dimensions were bending and the survival of all mankind was at at stake.

Here's a fun fact: George R.R. Martin wanted to write issues of "Doctor Strange" for Marvel!!! :shock: OMG, right? With the one catch that they could never change back any change he makes or bring back any character he kills.

After careful consideration, Marvel reluctantly passed on the offer, probably afraid that Spider-Man would rape Mary Jane and Wolverine would become a Dumbledore stripper.

probably more because they want the freedom to kill off characters multiple times and bring them back, change their ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, create alternate dimensions with multiple versions of the same character, etc. as they sculpt their soap operas to attract specific demographics, it is as if Marvel writing (and comics in general to be fair) is based on the way Trump's mind works, making shit up as they go along and refusing to be held down by what they have already established to be reality all for the sake of "good business". :roll: a real writer like Martin must have little to no respect for "writers" that aren't good enough at their craft to create stories and characters that can stand the test of time without having to redo them every so often.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby SilentBobX on Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:57 pm

Loved both trailers. Perfectly done and the special effects actually impressed me, which I thought couldn't be done anymore.

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby TheBaxter on Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:13 am

Ribbons wrote:

in other words, nothing like Game of Thrones itself.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Re: Doctor Strange (Now w/ 33.3% More Rick and Morty)

Postby TheButcher on Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:27 am

'Doctor Strange' Script Gets Some 'Community' Help From Dan Harmon (Exclusive)
The comedy creator has little experience writing for superheroes, but he's the latest to join Marvel's odd writing club for the comic book movie starring Benedict Cumberbatch.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:58 am

:D

Dan Harmon for Black Panther 2!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Ribbons on Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:23 am

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re: Doctor Strange '78

Postby TheButcher on Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:55 pm

'Dr. Strange': The Untold Story of the 1978 TV Movie Everyone "Had Great Hopes For"
Jessica Walter and others involved in the failed 1978 TV pilot look back: "I don't think the public was ready for that kind of otherworldliness."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Peven on Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:54 pm

i saw it and loved it and was horribly disappointed that the network did nothing with it

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Re: Doctor Strange 2! (Now w/ 33.3% Jaden Smith)

Postby TheButcher on Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:08 am

THR:
How Doctor Strange Creator Steve Ditko Became the "J.D. Salinger" of Comics
Stan Lee and others look at the legacy of the enigmatic artist: "He was always a joy to work with, a true professional, as far as I was concerned."

Jaden Smith Reviews 'Doctor Strange': "I'm Going to Dedicate the Rest of My Life to Those Practices"
The young actor may be ready to be the next Sorcerer Supreme.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby SilentBobX on Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:21 pm

Okay. Saw it today in 3D IMAX and had a blast. Yes, a ton of Inception work here but the real star is Cumberbatch. He delivers and provides a perfect representation of Strange. He slips into the role as seamlessly as RDJ did when he first played Iron Man. I see quite a few sequels and crossovers.

What I didn't like: The post credits sequence. The one before where Strange and Thor talk and he refills Thor's modest mug is awesome. A great setup for a future adventure.

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby TheButcher on Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:49 am

Box Office: 'Doctor Strange' Heads for Huge $80M-Plus Weekend After $32.6M Friday
Combined, Benedict Cumberbatch's supherhero movie, 'Trolls' and Mel Gibson's 'Hacksaw Ridge' are chasing away the blues at the U.S. box office. One reason? They all earned an A CinemaScore.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:00 pm

Saw it today. It's okay, a bit lightweight, a bit bland. The casting is the main strength of the film and the visuals are interesting in parts.

Otherwise it felt like a by-the-numbers Marvel movie, containing a collection of bits from lots of other movies. The pacing is slightly off, with the origin story feeling a bit rushed. The powers that Strange gains don't seem especially earned and are rather gained just so he can have a fight in the second and third acts. What happened to the "years of study and practice"?

It did well to introduce the mystical side of the movie universe, which has been mostly tech-based so far.
Last edited by Fried Gold on Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:32 am, edited 5 times in total.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:40 pm

The story actually reminded me a lot of the Green Lantern movie:

-stereotypically cocky hero learns that there is a world much larger than he understands

-inherits a mantle from a dying warrior

-despite a diverse supporting cast, the white American man is the only one who can save the entire universe

-rules and powers are a little fuzzy

-villain is a giant floating CGI head

-secondary villain is a human being physically deformed by the power of the main villain

-sidekick becomes seduced by the dark side and transitions to villain in a post-credits sequence

-love interest is a lazy afterthought
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:05 am

Ribbons wrote:The story actually reminded me a lot of the Green Lantern movie:

-stereotypically cocky hero learns that there is a world much larger than he understands

-inherits a mantle from a dying warrior

-despite a diverse supporting cast, the white American man is the only one who can save the entire universe

-rules and powers are a little fuzzy

-villain is a giant floating CGI head

-secondary villain is a human being physically deformed by the power of the main villain

-sidekick becomes seduced by the dark side and transitions to villain in a post-credits sequence

-love interest is a lazy afterthought

Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:53 am

Hey you found my channel! Be sure to visit MadBrackets.com!

Nah, just kidding. This person is not me. But I find him sexy and fascinating and would also like to subscribe to his newsletter. And Baron Mordo's name DOES sound like a bad guy name! :lol: I can't believe I missed that one.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Ribbons on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:39 pm

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Previous

Return to Movie Discussion