SUICIDE SQUAD

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

SUICIDE SQUAD

Postby TheButcher on Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:22 am

From THR.com: Scribe in for 'Suicide Squad' pact

Borys Kit wrote:Justin Marks to adapt the DC Comics property for Warners

Warner Bros. and Justin Marks are ready to commit suicide.

The studio has tapped the scribe to adapt DC Comics property "Suicide Squad" as a feature film. Dan Lin and his studio-based Lin Pictures are on board as producers.

Originally a back-up feature in 1960s "The Brave and the Bold," the stories focused on a team of non-super-powered people fighting monstrous menaces. The Squad was reconceived in the 1980s as a team of supervillains given one last shot at redemption by the government by accomplishing missions that will most likely kill them.

It is this latter concept that Warners is working from.

The villains involved have yet to be determined though Deadshot, an assassin with wrist-mounted guns, is a strong candidate.

Steven Gilchrist is co-producing.

Jon Berg is overseeing for Warners. Gregory Noveck is overseeing for DC.

Marks, currently doing a rewrite of Disney and McG's "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea," also wrote the Green Arrow comic book movie project "Supermax." He is repped by WMA and Madhouse Entertainment.

Lin Pictures is in post on "Sherlock Holmes" and readying "Terminator: Salvation" for its May 21 release.

TheWrap:
Jared Leto Eyed to Play The Joker in WB's ‘Suicide Squad’ (Exclusive)
The Oscar winner hasn't settled on his follow-up to “Dallas Buyers Club” so he's still available
Jeff Sneider wrote:Ryan Gosling was initially sought to play The Joker but he was unwilling to sign a deal with options for multiple movies, according to one insider.

While The Joker did not appear in Justin Marks’ original draft of the screenplay, Ayer is expected to rewrite the script and that revision is rumored to include The Joker. After all, the studio would be hard-pressed to ignore Batman's arch-enemy. If Warners has no plans to include the character in some capacity in “Suicide Squad” or “Justice League,” what movie is it waiting for?
Last edited by TheButcher on Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: GRIM & GRITTY SUICIDE SQUAD MOVIE

Postby TheButcher on Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:19 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Ultimate Joker Casting *REBOOT PLEASE VOTE AGAIN*

Postby TheButcher on Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:01 am

TheBaxter wrote:

i thought anne hathaway would have made an excellent oprah winfrey. oh well, what could've been.

SUICIDE SQUAD Cast Officially Confirmed; Jared Leto Is The Joker, Will Smith Is Deadshot; Oprah Winfrey Sought for Role
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Spandau Belly on Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:52 am

So is The Joker a merc in this? I can see some other villains willing to pull off a mission for 'The Man' to get a reduced sentence or whatever, but I think anybody who trusts The Joker to follow orders will get what they deserve.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:27 am

Spandau Belly wrote:So is The Joker a merc in this? I can see some other villains willing to pull off a mission for 'The Man' to get a reduced sentence or whatever, but I think anybody who trusts The Joker to follow orders will get what they deserve.

Hence why the Suicide Squad movie will feature a story where someone trusts The Joker to follow orders and gets what they deserve.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: Suicide Squad

Postby so sorry on Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:21 pm

I split this into its own topic.

I don't know shit about this comic (as usual) so I did the obligatory Wiki search:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_Squad
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Ribbons on Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:28 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
Spandau Belly wrote:So is The Joker a merc in this? I can see some other villains willing to pull off a mission for 'The Man' to get a reduced sentence or whatever, but I think anybody who trusts The Joker to follow orders will get what they deserve.

Hence why the Suicide Squad movie will feature a story where someone trusts The Joker to follow orders and gets what they deserve.

lol, you're probably right. I'd put money on that prediction
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:23 pm

the premise just sounds so contrived and forced, like some stoned 15 yr old kids came up with it because it sounded cool, that I have minimal interest. Leto is the only reason I have any at all

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:55 pm

The premise of the Suicide Squad isn't usually that bad.

The inclusion of Will Smith as Deadshot and the inclusion of The Joker at all perhaps suggests that WB aren't entirely convinced people would buy into the concept. (They perhaps should have looked at Guardians of the Galaxy as example.)
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:25 am

And Lex Luthor, apparently.

It's a lot of big personalities (real and fictional) and I'm not quite sure how they're all going to fit together, but I like the idea anyway.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re: THE GRIM & GRITTY SUICIDE SQUAD MOVIE

Postby TheButcher on Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:12 am

'Suicide Squad': A Brief History of the Black-Ops Bad Guys
Everything you need to know about Warner Bros' new super team
Graeme McMillan wrote:The title was resurrected by writer John Ostrander following the success of DC’s Crisis on Infinite Earths event and subsequent soft-relaunch (The new Squad made their debut in a mini-series titled Legends, which also introduced new takes on the Flash, Wonder Woman and the Justice League). Keeping the name and little else, Ostrander introduced the concept of “Task Force X,” a secret government agency headed by Amanda Waller, a character who remains almost unique in superhero comics: a black woman in a position of authority whose morality is murky at best, but whose ability to get things done is unparalleled (Following her introduction, Waller quickly assumed a position of power throughout the entire DC line, and was often portrayed as an equal to Batman in the badass stakes, to give you an impression of how powerful she was).

Task Force X was a program that worked on the simple understanding that there are some missions that are too dangerous for even the most capable spies or soldiers — and so they should be carried out by convicted supervillains instead, because (a) they have superpowers, and (b) it’s not a big deal if they end up getting killed in the process. Even if they get captured, Waller figured, it wouldn’t be a problem because in the unlikely possibility that someone would believe anything a supervillain had to say, all of them were fitted with remote control explosive devices that could kill them at the flick of a switch. Win-win, surely…?

The appeal of the Suicide Squad is an easy one to grasp: it’s essentially Mission: Impossible for superheroes, with the added bonus of the tension implicit in the idea that not everyone will make it out alive. That its characters are all villains to one degree or another creates a moral ambiguity that feels unusually “correct” in a superhero context, just as the spy-centric concept allows for political commentary equally unusual in superhero stories. It is, in other words, a series that is built to expand the superhero genre in new directions while playing with tropes that the audience is already familiar with — all the while featuring a character called “Captain Boomerang.”

That level of metatextual genre mash-up is one of the reasons why Ostrander’s concept — and, indeed, his original series — is so fondly-remembered today, and remains so potent in terms of inspiring new stories and takes. Done right, Suicide Squad is unlike any other superhero property out there: smarter, nastier and given to the kind of machiavellian backstabbing commonplace in House of Cards, Scandal or, if you want to be highfalutin’, Shakespeare. Imagine the character dynamics and snark of The Avengers turned up to 11, and you’re almost there. The question now is simple: will the 2016 movie manage to do Suicide Squad right?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: THE GRIM & GRITTY SUICIDE SQUAD MOVIE

Postby Spandau Belly on Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:23 am

David Ayer tried to do exactly this with SABOTAGE and the results were pretty lousy. Hopefully he learned some lessons from the failures of that movie. He's done good work before.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:25 pm

Ribbons wrote:And Lex Luthor, apparently.

It's a lot of big personalities (real and fictional) and I'm not quite sure how they're all going to fit together, but I like the idea anyway.

Similar to Supes vs Bats, it seems like they keep adding characters to the ensemble.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: SUICIDE SQUAD

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:15 pm

LATINO REVIEW EXCLUSIVE:
The Real Reason For Tom Hardy's Exit From 'Suicide Squad'
Kellvin Chavez wrote:Now, we've learned why Tom Hardy has dropped out of the project. According to sources, He simply didn't like the script he was finally given, he didn't like the drastic change to the character. Like we figured, the scheduling conflict is a cover story, so he left the project under amicable terms.

The rumor is the latest draft of Suicide Squad has upped the screen time of Deadshot and The Joker at the expense of the lesser-villains in the movie like Rick Flagg. This also may have contributed to Hardy's exit.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:05 pm

I like that Latino Review is one of the few movie sites left that tries to scoop Hollywood, but honestly, stuff like this is useless because it's impossible to prove, and they've been wrong a lot. It sounds like it kind of makes sense, but it's not like Hardy is that choosy when it comes to scripts (This Means War anyone?) and people drop out of movies due to scheduling conflicts all the time.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

BATMAN v. SUICIDE SQUAD?

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:32 pm

Rumor: Ben Affleck to Appear in SUICIDE SQUAD to Set Up Batman Solo Film?
WARNING: There are some potential Suicide Squad and Batman solo movie spoilers in this article!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Spandau Belly on Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:16 pm

I think I have a scheduling conflict with this movie, too.

When it was first announced, it sounded kinda fun. I did the minimal Wikipedia skim on this Suicide Squad stuff and found it was the men-on-a-mission type of thing that I enjoy, but with far-out characters that looked like those Battle Beasts toys. So a mission movie with a Cheetahman and a walking shark and the obligatory hot chick and some obvious Red Shirt doofus would probably be the type of thing I would watch. David Ayer has done good work in the past and he shares a lot of my macho sensibilities, and although he fucked up with SABOTAGE, I still think he's a good choice to tell this type of story.

And honestly, I was really looking forward to seeing Will Smith's classic cocky cool up against Tom Hardy's kookiness. It was a screen pairing that excited me. Seeing Smith try to maintain control of a scene while Hardy tries to undermine him would be a ton of fun to watch, in my opinion.

Then they added The Joker, and the need to shoehorn in a bankable character kinda pissed me off but I was still somewhat interested. Then Hardy dropped out, and I became a lot less interested. Now they talk about how this whole movie is designed to set up some other Batman movie and I've lost all interest.

So fuck this.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:31 pm

i thought Superman vs Batman was supposed to set up the Batfleck solo film. now Suicide Squad is ALSO setting up the Batfleck solo film?
how many films do we need to set up a Batfleck solo film?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Ribbons on Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:23 pm

Behold: The Letoker!

I actually kind of like it. Although I think the tattoos are a little on the nose.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:54 pm

Yikes!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:52 am

Ribbons wrote:Behold: The Letoker!

its Havoc!

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:16 am

Holy shit, you're right
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Ribbons on Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:37 am

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheBaxter on Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:43 am

Ribbons wrote:Behold: The Letoker!

separated at birth?1?!?!?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:16 am

Here ya go...

so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:37 pm

TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Mon May 04, 2015 1:53 pm

so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Ribbons on Mon May 04, 2015 4:03 pm

Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn = nerd catnip
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby so sorry on Tue May 05, 2015 2:28 pm

more spank material

If you're into that kinda thing...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Tue May 05, 2015 3:15 pm

i swear, will smith in this film looks just like the SNL version of shaquille oneal.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Tue May 05, 2015 3:27 pm

TheBaxter wrote:i swear, will smith in this film looks just like the SNL version of shaquille oneal.

Will knows Shaq-fu?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby RaulMonkey on Wed May 06, 2015 11:31 pm

I just saw this poster at the mall, and I thought of the new Joker.

RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:24 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:41 am

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:15 am

"I'm just going to hurt you really, really bad."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby so sorry on Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:39 pm

TheButcher wrote:

"I'm just going to hurt you really, really bad."

Neato.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby so sorry on Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:20 pm

So if this is a new age Dirty Dozen, then the Joker is definetly the Telly Savalas character: the most wacked out one, and the one that was absolutely positively going to fuck things up for the rest of them.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Peven on Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:58 pm

that is a lot better than I was expecting

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:59 pm

This actually looks... kind of badass?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:49 pm

That did exceed my expectations, which was not a high bar, granted, but I hope that this will at least be fun. The concept, while unoriginal, is undeniably cool if done right.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:22 pm

I think I was expecting Smith to bring more of his cocky BAD BOYS persona to this. Here he feels more like the weary sad hero guy he played in iROBOT or I AM LEGEND.

And I know everyone hates Jai Courtney, but I thought his delivery popped the most in that trailer. I have only seen him in JACK REACHER and I thought he was fine in that, but everyone seems to think he's the worst thing ever. Maybe getting to act with his real accent will help him express more personality?

This was the only film on DC's slate that remotely interested me (other than the Rob Zombie SWAMP THING film that I imagined), then it lost me off with all the "shared universe" talk that surrounded it. But it's been winning me back since those really funny photos of the Joker's pimpmobile doing FAST & FURIOUS shit against Batman leaked online. I'll probably give it a rent at least.
Last edited by Spandau Belly on Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:33 pm

Unfortunately the shared universe thing probably isn't going away anytime soon. Or ever, maybe. Marvel had their crack at it, so it's only fair that DC does too, but it's definitely a hindrance in some cases. It would be cool to actually see a standalone superhero film again, but I might be in the minority on that one.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:56 pm

Ribbons wrote:Unfortunately the shared universe thing probably isn't going away anytime soon. Or ever, maybe. Marvel had their crack at it, so it's only fair that DC does too, but it's definitely a hindrance in some cases. It would be cool to actually see a standalone superhero film again, but I might be in the minority on that one.

personally i'd love to be able to watch just the films for the superhero's i'm interested in, without having to watch the ones i'm not interested in just so i dont feel like i'm missing something (i'm looking at you, Thor).
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:14 am

I'm actually really fucking stoked for this. It's got that Fincher look going for it. This Margot Robbie makes a good Harley in my opinion. LETO looks good as the Joker. I thought Killer Croc looked pretty cool. Australian Jai Courtney is much more interesting than the American one.

I really liked this trailer and I look forward to paying money in the theater to see this.

People say DC is too serious and Marvel makes the fun movies, but none of the Marvel trailers I've seen makes me want to see the movies. I'd much rather go see this than another CAPTAIN AMERICA.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby DerLanghaarige on Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:45 am

Four things:

1) Looks interesting, but so far there is nothing in it, that makes me go OMG I GOTTA SEE IT EARLIER THEN MAYBE A FEW MONTHS AFTER I RECORDED IT FROM PAY TV!

2) I'm so sick of all those slow, "atmospheric" cover versions of pop songs, that we hear in movie trailers. This one here sounds exactly like the Pinocchio song from AGE OF ULTRON.

3)Harley Quinn will be the biggest nerd crush of the decade

4) The Joker totally looks like the overly attached girlfriend.
Image Image
Last edited by DerLanghaarige on Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:20 am

DerLanghaarige wrote:2) I'm so sick of all those slow, "atmospheric" cover versions of pop songs, that we hear in movie trailers. This one here sounds exactly like the Pinocchio song from AGE OF ULTRON.

I hope a DEADPOOL trailer does a spoof of that trend with a slow depressed cover of 'Baby Got Back' or something.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby DerLanghaarige on Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:38 am

I wanna make a fake trailer with a slow version of WITCH DOCTOR.

(Imagine that little kid or whoever sings these covers go "Ooooo eeeeee ooo aah aah...ting tang...walla walla biiiiiing baaaaaaang")
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:26 pm

i have a theory about Jai Courtney, that he is Schrodinger's Actor: when he's cast in a film, he is simultaneously there and not there. this trailer confirms my theory, because i've watched the whole thing twice and never realized he was in it.

i dunno, this trailer didn't do too much for me. lots of long slow buildup with not much payoff. i know every comic book film these days has to be super-serious, but i had the impression this was going to be more of a fun and slightly silly one-off type of film, so i wasn't expecting to see will smith once again working through his daddy issues and harley quinn as the Girl with the Joker Tattoo. i'm not necessarily sure i'd like to see that movie more than this one, since i wasn't really that interested in this project anyway. just that the trailer looks like something different than what i expected, but not necessarily better than what i expected.

at least the trailer confirms that the joker really does have all those silly "HaHaHa" and playing card tattoos in the film.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:57 pm

TheBaxter wrote:i have a theory about Jai Courtney, that he is Schrodinger's Actor: when he's cast in a film, he is simultaneously there and not there. this trailer confirms my theory, because i've watched the whole thing twice and never realized he was in it.

i dunno, this trailer didn't do too much for me. lots of long slow buildup with not much payoff. i know every comic book film these days has to be super-serious, but i had the impression this was going to be more of a fun and slightly silly one-off type of film, so i wasn't expecting to see will smith once again working through his daddy issues and harley quinn as the Girl with the Joker Tattoo. i'm not necessarily sure i'd like to see that movie more than this one, since i wasn't really that interested in this project anyway. just that the trailer looks like something different than what i expected, but not necessarily better than what i expected.

at least the trailer confirms that the joker really does have all those silly "HaHaHa" and playing card tattoos in the film.

The one thing that I'd hope most for in this flick is that these guys (with the obvious exception of the Joker and Harley) AREN'T anit-hero types...like they aren't really bad guys, they just made a mistake along the way and got sent to prison for it kinda shit. I'd be cool if they were all really bad people, looking for a way out of their sentences. I don't see Will Smif taking on a role where he's a truly despicable person. And this is all just my personal preference, I don't have a clue what the comics were like (even though if you look in this thread from a while ago I referenced the wiki page on these wierdos).
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:36 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:I'm actually really fucking stoked for this. It's got that Fincher look going for it. This Margot Robbie makes a good Harley in my opinion. LETO looks good as the Joker. I thought Killer Croc looked pretty cool. Australian Jai Courtney is much more interesting than the American one.

My thoughts exactly. Jai Courtney is better a playing an Australian. Hopefully this works for him. Or he'll be typecast as: Oh look this movie has Will Smith, Margot Robbie, Jared Leto oh and Jai Courtney too.

Motion Captured:
The haunting Harley Quinn anchors the official 'Suicide Squad' trailer release
Say what you will, but DC's making some big choices
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Next

Return to Movie Discussion