ROGUE ONE: A Star Wars Thread

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: ROGUE ONE A Star Wars Thread

Postby TheButcher on Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:57 am

Variety:
‘Rogue One: A Star Wars Story’ on Pace for Massive $130 Million Debut
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:04 am

Rogue One composer Michael Giacchino describes music of the Star Wars standalone
'Bravado is a dangerous thing.
ANTHONY BREZNICAN wrote:What inspirations will we hear in the music?
It does borrow from traditions that both John [Williams] and George Lucas borrowed from when they made the original Star Wars, you know. George was looking at Flash Gordon, the old serials, and John was looking at [Gustav] Holst and different composers along the way to get a baseline for what he wanted to communicate. There is a wonderful musical language that John put together for the original films. I wanted to honor that vernacular but still do something new with it, something that was still me in a way.

Did you incorporate many elements of John Williams’ score?
I think absolutely there are a couple of times when you want to hit upon something that was from the past. For me, even as a fan, it was about going, “Oh, this particular idea would be great if we did it here. I would want to see that if I were watching a Star Wars movie.” As a kid who grew up with John’s music and who was catapulted in this direction because of what he did, I had a very specific idea of what I wanted to use and how I wanted to use it. That being said, I’d say the score is 95 percent original but with little moments [of Williams’ classic score] here or there to accent. If I were sitting in that seat and I heard that, it would totally raise the hairs on my neck.

Can you describe the opening title theme? Do you use elements of his work there?
It’s done slightly differently here because it’s not one of the saga films, it’s not one of the trilogies. It’s sort of its own thing and the whole idea from the very beginning was these should be standalone movies. So it’s going to be a slightly different way to get things kicked off.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:18 am

Los Angeles Times:
'Making "Star Wars" is a team sport': 'Rogue One' director Gareth Edwards on reshoots, inspiration and trepidation
Josh Rottenberg wrote:Unshaven and slightly rumpled, with a laid-back demeanor and dry sense of humor, Gareth Edwards doesn’t instantly strike you as the type of person who would command an army, cinematic or otherwise. But if “Star Wars” has taught us anything, it’s that warriors come from unexpected places.

Growing up in England, the 41-year-old Edwards was inspired to become a filmmaker by his deep passion for George Lucas’ beloved space opera. Now, as the director of “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story” — the first in a series of planned standalone spin-off films set in the galaxy far, far away, distinct from the ongoing episodic saga — he finds himself a key player in the creative expansion of the franchise.

Set shortly before the events of 1977’s “A New Hope,” “Rogue One,” which hits theaters Dec. 16, chronicles the mission of a ragtag group of rebels to steal the plans to the Empire’s planet-destroying Death Star. Featuring a diverse ensemble cast including Felicity Jones, Diego Luna, Forest Whitaker and Donnie Yen, the film is the closest thing to a full-on war movie ever seen in the “Star Wars” series, blending the familiar spectacle of interstellar dogfights, droids and laser battles with a gritty cinema verite style, a visceral kind of violence and a degree of moral murkiness new to the franchise.

Getting the film to the finish line was something of a battle in itself. Over the summer, reports emerged that “Rogue One” was undergoing extensive reshoots, with screenwriter Tony Gilroy — who shares final screenwriting credit on the film with Chris Weitz — reportedly being brought in to help iron out issues with the story, including the film’s ending. While reshoots are standard practice on big-budget films, “Star Wars” fans, ever sensitive to the slightest tremors in the Force, aired their worries en masse online.

Collider:
Gareth Edwards on George Lucas’ Reaction to ‘Rogue One’: “I Can Die Happy Now”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:38 pm

Lucasfilm's PR guy says this is the scene from Star Wars that you should watch before seeing Rogue One:

Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:48 pm

‘Rogue One': Listen to Samples from Michael Giacchino’s First ‘Star Wars’ Score
The Oscar-winning composer only had four and a half weeks to write the score.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:54 pm

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story "Creature Featurette"
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:13 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:18 am

The results are in! And they're... on the good side of okay:

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/richard-brody/rogue-one-reviewed-is-it-time-to-abandon-the-star-wars-franchise

(Some of the reviews are more positive than this.) It seems like an emerging feature of Gareth Edwards films is a combination of brilliant visuals and a complete lack of interest and/or facility in creating three-dimensional characters.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fievel on Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:12 am

I get that the guy writes for The New Yorker, but seriously.......that guy........I don't ever want to feel the feels he has watching a motion picture.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby so sorry on Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:33 am

I have my tickets for next week...so I'm outta this thread until then!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:59 am

so sorry wrote:I have my tickets for next week...so I'm outta this thread until then!

SPOILER: they get the death star plans... and... a bunch of Bothans die
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:00 am

Ribbons wrote:The results are in! And they're... on the good side of okay:

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/richard-brody/rogue-one-reviewed-is-it-time-to-abandon-the-star-wars-franchise

(Some of the reviews are more positive than this.) It seems like an emerging feature of Gareth Edwards films is a combination of brilliant visuals and a complete lack of interest and/or facility in creating three-dimensional characters.

this review is why Hillary lost the election.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:39 pm

Ribbons wrote:(Some of the reviews are more positive than this.) It seems like an emerging feature of Gareth Edwards films is a combination of brilliant visuals and a complete lack of interest and/or facility in creating three-dimensional characters.

Which is strange considering I thought Monsters had three-dimensional characters and wasn't solely about the visuals.

Maybe he's not a director that should have particularly big budgets.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:59 pm

Just watch the fucking film (and me in it) and find out for yourselves.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:44 pm

Ribbons wrote:The results are in! And they're... on the good side of okay:

I got one paragraph in before giving up. He instantly comes across as one of those guys who thinks any film is beneath him that doesn't feature the Clown of Sadeness smoking in black and white subtitled French. Fuck that guy. He probably jerks off to Swedish Dogma films released straight to the internet.

I had more but I don't want to spend any anger on this fucker.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:42 pm

Whoa! Remind me not to get on your bad side.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fievel on Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:01 pm

So I'm going to see this tonight with my oldest son. Last year I surprised him with a Kylo Ren shirt on our way to see The Force Awakens. Both the shirt and the trip to the movie were a surprise. He also has no idea that we're seeing Rogue One tonight. So I went to get him a t-shirt and....was crushed. I couldn't find any shirts featuring Donnie Yen!! Just about every other character has their own shirt, but not Yen's. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
I settled for a shirt with the Deathtroopers.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Ribbons on Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:22 am

I've already got my K2SO cosplay gear ready for Saturday!!!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheButcher on Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:51 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Well, don't ask me how I know, but there is a crashed X Wing part buried in a village/town square on an occupied planet. And Donnie Yen beats up Stormtroopers that outnumber him with a stick-like weapon - despite the fact that he can't see them. So I'm told.

Kirks you were right ... Tell your sister... you were right...
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:31 am

TheButcher wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Well, don't ask me how I know, but there is a crashed X Wing part buried in a village/town square on an occupied planet. And Donnie Yen beats up Stormtroopers that outnumber him with a stick-like weapon - despite the fact that he can't see them. So I'm told.

Wow. It talks.

But did you see ME in the film?

When Felicty Jones goes into that town square and is looking for Partisan Rebels to join her cause, there is a shot of 3 men standing there looking shifty, giving suspicious looks. One of them is a big Bounty Hunter. No I'm not him, but I'm to the... left of him, you can just see my eyes.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:47 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
TheButcher wrote:

Wow. It talks.

When Felicty Jones goes into that town square and is looking for Partisan Rebels to join her cause, there is a shot of 3 men standing there looking shifty, giving suspicious looks. One of them is a big Bounty Hunter. No I'm not him, but I'm to the... left of him, you can just see my eyes.

It means you can now take part in scifi conventions, selling signed 8x10s.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:18 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
TheButcher wrote:

Wow. It talks.

It means you can now take part in scifi conventions, selling signed 8x10s.

Not really. My photo was selfie taken, and as there is a 'no phones on set' rule, that means I am liable for prosecution for breaking the legislation.

Plus Disney have a clause made stating that NO ONE can use their proof of working on their Star Wars films for profit or promotion, publicity, even after the films are released, which means that I can't attend such conventions and earn £400 pound per day signing my photo.

Movies - they say you can make money out of them but once you're there they will do anything they can to stop you.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Peven on Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:52 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
Ribbons wrote:(Some of the reviews are more positive than this.) It seems like an emerging feature of Gareth Edwards films is a combination of brilliant visuals and a complete lack of interest and/or facility in creating three-dimensional characters.

Which is strange considering I thought Monsters had three-dimensional characters and wasn't solely about the visuals.

Maybe he's not a director that should have particularly big budgets.

or maybe there are just people who can't wait to find ways to be negative about a big budget movie like this. it seems an emerging feature of people who swallow "industry insider" bullshit over actually watching the movie itself and forming there own opinion instead of being told what to think about a movie. the people I know who saw it last night LOVED it and they are real fans of both the franchise and quality genre movies. i take their opinion a lot more seriously than some random internet reviewer looking to make a name for themselves by acting too cool to be impressed by a Star Wars movie.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Re: ROGUE ONE: Reshoots?

Postby TheButcher on Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:00 pm

SPOILERS

BMD:
ROGUE ONE Trailer Moments That Didn’t Make It Into The Film
And why their absence doesn't really matter.

BMD:
ROGUE ONE: A STAR WARS STORY Review: Finally, A Prequel Worth Watching
Last edited by TheButcher on Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:42 am

Peven wrote:it seems an emerging feature of people who swallow "industry insider" bullshit over actually watching the movie itself and forming there own opinion instead of being told what to think about a movie. the people I know who saw it last night LOVED it and they are real fans of both the franchise and quality genre movies. i take their opinion a lot more seriously than some random internet reviewer looking to make a name for themselves by acting too cool to be impressed by a Star Wars movie.

Wow Peven, you are so right. I do always wait for The New Yorker to tell me how to feel about movies, and am definitely too cool for blockbusters. Thank you for putting me in my place and teaching me this valuable lesson. For the good of humanity I will never try to generate discussion by posting a link to an early review ever again.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheButcher on Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:37 am

Spoilers?
Is that Snoke?

Spoilers!
'Rogue One': How Visual Effects Made the Return of Some Iconic 'Star Wars' Characters Possible

Box Office Spoilers!
Anthony D'Alessandro wrote:6TH UPDATE, 9:54PM: Disney’s Rogue One: A Star Wars Story is higher than everyone imagined with a Friday that’s grown to $72M, putting the film on course for an opening that’s close to $156M for the three-day weekend at 4,157 theaters.

Like Force Awakens, Rogue One earns an A CinemaScore, and Disney can take that to the bank because the halo of that grade will take this prequel to higher echelons at the holiday B.O.

Should Rogue One stay the course toward its current opening, it will become the 12th highest opening of all-time, the sixth Disney release to open north of $150M and as we’ve always expected — the second best ever for the month of December after Force Awakens all-time record of $247.96M. There’s a chance that Rogue One could fall toward the mid $140Ms, and that wouldn’t be the end of the world. As we mentioned, there’s less kids off school on Monday than a year go and that could impact Sunday’s business.

Director Gareth Edwards has even more bragging rights tonight: Rogue One‘s ‘A’ beats the A-s earned by all the George Lucas prequels (2005’s Revenge of the Sith has the highest FSS at $108M). Currently, Rogue One is playing -37% behind Force Awakens, a trend that started the day at -46% with Disney seeing steady growth through the hours. Rogue One earned straight As throughout all demos with males repping 66% of all ticketbuyers today with 60% over 25. That audience makeup isn’t that far from Force Awakens which hooked 64% guys, 67% over 25. Episode VII also drew A+s in certain pockets (i.e. females, under 25, under 18 and 35-49).
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:41 pm

TheButcher wrote:Spoilers?
Is that Snoke?

The guy in the cloak on the ground or the guy in the tube? Because the latter is Vader and the former is one of the Emperor's lackies (I think originally seen in Return of the Jedi).
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:28 am

Fried Gold wrote:
TheButcher wrote:Spoilers?
Is that Snoke?

The guy in the cloak on the ground or the guy in the tube? Because the latter is Vader and the former is one of the Emperor's lackies (I think originally seen in Return of the Jedi).

The butler. The guy in the Sith robes.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Peven on Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:17 pm

Saw it today and it was great, best Star Wars movie yet. if only the entire SW franchise could have been done with the same sensibility it would be a science fiction saga on par with LOTR

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Fievel on Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:07 pm

Peven wrote:Saw it today and it was great, best Star Wars movie yet. if only the entire SW franchise could have been done with the same sensibility it would be a science fiction saga on par with LOTR

Unfortunately, the other seven films put it even with the Critters and Universal Soldier franchises in film history. :roll:
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Peven on Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:37 pm

Fievel wrote:
Peven wrote:Saw it today and it was great, best Star Wars movie yet. if only the entire SW franchise could have been done with the same sensibility it would be a science fiction saga on par with LOTR

Unfortunately, the other seven films put it even with the Critters and Universal Soldier franchises in film history. :roll:

no, but aside from ESB, and even that to a degree, they are fairly safe, kid friendly, and would be found in the young adult section of a book store. Rogue opens up with a "good" guy killing a compatriot to prevent them from being captured and giving up rebel secrets, which is more nuanced in its depiction of "good" guys and "bad" guys. it actually reminded me of sort of a SW version of For Whom the Bell Tolls with Gary Cooper. Rogue is a good movie, not just a good SW movie. for me it feels like they took the material seriously, not just as kids' material looking for product tie in opportunities, the same way the LOTR team took on those films as serious literature instead of fluff fantasy in how they brought them to life onscreen. did I explain that enough, Jerry? :wink: :-P

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:22 am

"Are you kidding me? I'm blind!"

CARUSO REVIEWS ROGUE WON

This film is some kind of miracle. There are those who will disagree (and probably should) but I think this thing is almost perfect.

First off, from a technical standpoint, ROGUE WON is a marvel. I mean this is just a handsome goddamn picture. This should be up for a fancypants Oscar for Best Looking Picture. Gareth Edwards may be lacking in some areas as a director, but visually he knows his shit.

Some people are criticizing the Giacchinaoon score. Saying it's bland and uninspired. Eh, I guess I didn't walk out humming any of it and I am not a Giachino fan personally, but I think he nailed the John Williams Starwar sound. He just needs to write some themes to go with it. You're almost there, Gua chnin.

Things to write home about:

The "grittier" and "grounded" approach to making a Starwar. For the first time since maybe EMPIRE STRUCK BACK and maybe since never I got the feeling that people really live in this topsy-turvy galaxy. Everything feels appropriately lived in and maybe even a little smelly. These people look like they might possibly stink occasionally. They have real human emotions. They do real human things like shoot good people in the back even when they are supposed to be good too. It's a fine line between good and bad when you can shoot a crippled in the back and still be considered like one of the good guys. Han shoots first? Fuggeddaaboutddid. Child's play. Kiddie stuff. Not-Han Rivierea will shoot you for The Cause. He'll do it much less charismatically too because it's More Real.

2) Almost feels like they had a script for this one. I know that's some faint praise, but in this day and age of Hollywood Blockbuster the concept of the filmmakers actually having some idea about what is actually going to happen in the 200 million dollar film they are making is kind of rare. At least it seems that way. I could drive all sorts of trucks through THE FORCE AWAKENS, and I even liked that one. But they were big trucks, guys. Yuuge. That being said, I'll bet this film doesn't make a fuckload of sense either. But those problems were not apparent to me upon this first viewing. Whereas FORCEAWAKEN left me with all many sorts of questions to ponder like, "Why did any of that happen?"

b) Anybody get a Kurosawa vibe from this thing? Maybe that scene at the beginning where Madds Manimal looks like some kind of badass samurai or something. This ties back to the film being just really fucking nice to look at. They put a lot of effort into this, guys.

3. K-19 was a cool character. A sassy droid who can also beat ass, unlike Threepio who was merely sassy. K-19 is like the badass Threepio. Such a performance from Twodick.

5) For the first time in my life a Starwar made me want to cry. I got misty in a couple scenes. Like when Gin was looking at the Dadogram and getting all emotional as he said some stuff about the Deathstar. It made me want to cry too. Something about a reactor.

6. Preserved continuity in the form Of Jimmy Schmidt and the woman who played Mon Mothma sort of in REVENGE OF THE SITH. It was cool to see the Prequels represented to kind of bridge of the gap between those worlds. Less cool was the cameo by the assholes in the cantina scene from A NEW HOPE. I could've done without our main characters bumping into those guys just so we could say "Oh it's those guys that Obiwan chopped up to death in Episode 4. Cool." Others might disagree but I liked the Threepio and Artoo cameo. It felt organic and it was nice to see them there doing their droid thing.

Donnie Yen) Really there's nothing to add here. I'm glad he's in here. It makes China happy and he's actually playing a cool character who you like. He kicks ass, but does not breakdance unfortunately. I am won with teh Force.

5) Everyone dies (spoiler). Not really everyone, but basically everyone. The people who matter do not live, is what I'm saying. And I think people aren't giving enough of a shit about this. This is Dizney we're talking about. They bought the entire Starwar to pump out these soulless crowdpleasing entertainments and they were totally down with backshooting protagonists, Forest Whitaker as Watto, a big tentacled rape monster, and everyone in the movie dying like a DIRTY DOZEN or SEVEN SAMURAI or something. But even those movies had some of those dudes alive at the end. Not ROGUE WON. They kill all of these fuckers, and I'm glad. It shows that they're a small but crucial part of a bigger story, but they have their place in that story, and their place ends with them all dying horrible yet heroic deaths. It shows that the stakes are high. High enough to die for. The 8-track tape they steal is important enough to sacrifice themselves for. I like that in a film. Especially a 200 million dollar film about robots.

Things that aren't so good and are my primary criticisms of the film:

1) Freakish Paul Walkerfied CGI versions of dead/old people from the original trilogy. I guess I would've been more tolerant of the Tarkin scenes if there had only been one Tarkin scene, but he just kept coming back to be in more scenes. I was like, "Yeah but that's not Peter Cushing. He's dead. This is some kind of computer thing with dead eyes." It wasn't a dealbreaker, but it did take me out of the movie a bit. I definitely preferred the bits with Red Leader, becuase they used actual footage from the 1970s and inserted it into the film. Pretty well done I thought and it was cool to see him again. But the worst offender here is Paul Walkerfied Princess Leia. That was unpleasant to look at. She just looked like a cartoon or something. Unneccesary.

2) One Darth Vader scene too many. His appearance during the Mordor sequence was pretty fucking legit. I liked the stuff of him naked in that goddamn tube, oscured by steam and shit. And then when he strolls out to meet Cape Man. James Earl Jones is sounding pretty old these days and I think they could've pitched his voice a little higher to sound more like '70s Vader, but it was cool to see him in that scene. People don't like that he used a pun, but I thought he was one Bad Hombre in that scene, and the pun worked for me. I must say that I really could have done without his last scene, where he chops up a bunch of dudes. I think it was just an excuse for the filmmakers to have a lightsaber in the movie. I guess it's cool how they showed what the Rebels went through to get that fucking disk to the Princess, but I thougth the scene went on way too long with Vader throwing people with the Force and cutting them down. It was like, "Hey look guys it's Darth Vader isn't he so fucking cool?" Yeah, I guess, but that's not really what the movie is about. You alreadykilled everybody who mattered. This movie isn't about Darth Vader. I liked that they made it so you could see through his little eye goggles a little, just like in A NEW HOPE. They all saw A NEW HOPE, guys. The filmmakers saw that movie and they want you to know it.

3) They should've cut the last minute out of the movie. The Darth Vader stuff and then showing weird Leia. We didn't really need that either. "They gave us hope or whatever," she says. Like we didn't know that. But shit, man. I guess it's not that bad. I just think they could have ended it without that. Because she looked fucking weird.
Also, whose idea was it to end with an iris out followed by the classic Starwar end music? Did not fit this film at all and kinda doesn't gel with the whole concept of a standalone film. End it without the iris and put different music in there. This is not the time for some happy music and shit. Everyone just fucking died.

So there you have it. ROGUE WON A STARWAR TALE. Perfect? No. But almost. Tweak some things. Cut some things. Then it would be. As it stands, this might have just become my favorite Starwar. I liked it much more than THE FORCE AWAKENS, and I really liked THE FORCE AWAKENS.

Forrest Whitaker was kind of the Jar Jar of this movie almost. I don't know what he was going for there.

Hummel from Alcatraz, out.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby Peven on Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:19 am

wow, couldn't disagree with you more about the last few minutes of the movie. I thought the Darth Vader being a total badass was great and added a dimension to the character that had been missing visually though always alluded to in dialogue; just how deadly and destructive he is. sets him up for A New Hope perfectly and provides more contrast for his reaction/transformation due to Luke's existence. also, the events of the last few minutes of Rogue meld so well with the beginning of A New Hope that it makes A New Hope better from it. I want to watch Rogue again only this time go home and watch A New Hope immediately after.

I do agree with the dodgy cgi Lei, though, that was just bad/ Tarkin didn't bother me so much. though it did kind of take me out of the movie. like you say, because I kept thinking, "wow. they did a really good job with the cgi on dead Peter Cushing."

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:27 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:Some people are criticizing the Giacchinaoon score. Saying it's bland and uninspired. Eh, I guess I didn't walk out humming any of it and I am not a Giachino fan personally, but I think he nailed the John Williams Starwar sound. He just needs to write some themes to go with it. You're almost there, Gua chnin.

I haven't seen the movie yet so I don't know if I will like the score or not, but they brought Giacchino on to write it like five weeks ago. So the guy deserves a little slack, I think.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:08 pm

If any of those people who are criticising can compose a score like that in four and a half weeks, then good luck to them.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:40 pm

Ribbons wrote:
caruso_stalker217 wrote:Some people are criticizing the Giacchinaoon score. Saying it's bland and uninspired. Eh, I guess I didn't walk out humming any of it and I am not a Giachino fan personally, but I think he nailed the John Williams Starwar sound. He just needs to write some themes to go with it. You're almost there, Gua chnin.

I haven't seen the movie yet so I don't know if I will like the score or not, but they brought Giacchino on to write it like five weeks ago. So the guy deserves a little slack, I think.

This thought crossed my mind while watching the film. It definitely doesn't sound like something that was thrown together in a month. Like James Newton Howard's score for KING KONG. It's impressive how good it is for the amount of time he had to write it.
caruso_stalker217

Re: ROGUE ONE: A Star Wars Thread

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:23 pm

I wish you'd all shut up talking like you know anything about movie composing, saying that Giacchino's excuse or not was 5 weeks to make it blah blah or that he should have made it more hummable yadda yadda...

Just shut up. Shut up and enjoy the bombastic heavy adrenalin rush sound of his triumphant score and give it credit for being it's own thing. It doesn't have to contain recogniseable themes, it just has to sound good and get the dramatic point across. It's not like there are many opportunities to have such iconic themes like the original movies, we don't have stand out heroes like Luke or villains like Vader or overall upbeat positive and in your face black and white themes that 4, 5, and 6 had. Giacchino did the best that he could do with the movie that he was presented with.

Stop trying to talk like movie experts. You're not.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:28 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:"Are you kidding me? I'm blind!"

CARUSO REVIEWS ROGUE WON

This film is some kind of miracle. There are those who will disagree (and probably should) but I think this thing is almost perfect.

First off, from a technical standpoint, ROGUE WON is a marvel. I mean this is just a handsome goddamn picture. This should be up for a fancypants Oscar for Best Looking Picture. Gareth Edwards may be lacking in some areas as a director, but visually he knows his shit.

Some people are criticizing the Giacchinaoon score. Saying it's bland and uninspired. Eh, I guess I didn't walk out humming any of it and I am not a Giachino fan personally, but I think he nailed the John Williams Starwar sound. He just needs to write some themes to go with it. You're almost there, Gua chnin.

The "grittier" and "grounded" approach to making a Starwar. For the first time since maybe EMPIRE STRUCK BACK and maybe since never I got the feeling that people really live in this topsy-turvy galaxy. Everything feels appropriately lived in and maybe even a little smelly. These people look like they might possibly stink occasionally. They have real human emotions. They do real human things like shoot good people in the back even when they are supposed to be good too. It's a fine line between good and bad when you can shoot a crippled in the back and still be considered like one of the good guys. Han shoots first? Fuggeddaaboutddid. Child's play. Kiddie stuff. Not-Han Rivierea will shoot you for The Cause. He'll do it much less charismatically too because it's More Real.

2) Almost feels like they had a script for this one. I know that's some faint praise, but in this day and age of Hollywood Blockbuster the concept of the filmmakers actually having some idea about what is actually going to happen in the 200 million dollar film they are making is kind of rare. At least it seems that way. I could drive all sorts of trucks through THE FORCE AWAKENS, and I even liked that one. But they were big trucks, guys. Yuuge. That being said, I'll bet this film doesn't make a fuckload of sense either. But those problems were not apparent to me upon this first viewing. Whereas FORCEAWAKEN left me with all many sorts of questions to ponder like, "Why did any of that happen?"

b) Anybody get a Kurosawa vibe from this thing? Maybe that scene at the beginning where Madds Manimal looks like some kind of badass samurai or something. This ties back to the film being just really fucking nice to look at. They put a lot of effort into this, guys.

3. K-19 was a cool character. A sassy droid who can also beat ass, unlike Threepio who was merely sassy. K-19 is like the badass Threepio. Such a performance from Twodick.

5) For the first time in my life a Starwar made me want to cry. I got misty in a couple scenes. Like when Gin was looking at the Dadogram and getting all emotional as he said some stuff about the Deathstar. It made me want to cry too. Something about a reactor.

6. Preserved continuity in the form Of Jimmy Schmidt and the woman who played Mon Mothma sort of in REVENGE OF THE SITH. It was cool to see the Prequels represented to kind of bridge of the gap between those worlds. Less cool was the cameo by the assholes in the cantina scene from A NEW HOPE. I could've done without our main characters bumping into those guys just so we could say "Oh it's those guys that Obiwan chopped up to death in Episode 4. Cool." Others might disagree but I liked the Threepio and Artoo cameo. It felt organic and it was nice to see them there doing their droid thing.

Donnie Yen) Really there's nothing to add here. I'm glad he's in here. It makes China happy and he's actually playing a cool character who you like. He kicks ass, but does not breakdance unfortunately. I am won with teh Force.

5) Everyone dies (spoiler). Not really everyone, but basically everyone. The people who matter do not live, is what I'm saying. And I think people aren't giving enough of a shit about this. This is Dizney we're talking about. They bought the entire Starwar to pump out these soulless crowdpleasing entertainments and they were totally down with backshooting protagonists, Forest Whitaker as Watto, a big tentacled rape monster, and everyone in the movie dying like a DIRTY DOZEN or SEVEN SAMURAI or something. But even those movies had some of those dudes alive at the end. Not ROGUE WON. They kill all of these fuckers, and I'm glad. It shows that they're a small but crucial part of a bigger story, but they have their place in that story, and their place ends with them all dying horrible yet heroic deaths. It shows that the stakes are high. High enough to die for. The 8-track tape they steal is important enough to sacrifice themselves for. I like that in a film. Especially a 200 million dollar film about robots.

1) Freakish Paul Walkerfied CGI versions of dead/old people from the original trilogy. I guess I would've been more tolerant of the Tarkin scenes if there had only been one Tarkin scene, but he just kept coming back to be in more scenes. I was like, "Yeah but that's not Peter Cushing. He's dead. This is some kind of computer thing with dead eyes." It wasn't a dealbreaker, but it did take me out of the movie a bit. I definitely preferred the bits with Red Leader, becuase they used actual footage from the 1970s and inserted it into the film. Pretty well done I thought and it was cool to see him again. But the worst offender here is Paul Walkerfied Princess Leia. That was unpleasant to look at. She just looked like a cartoon or something. Unneccesary.

2) One Darth Vader scene too many. His appearance during the Mordor sequence was pretty fucking legit. I liked the stuff of him naked in that goddamn tube, oscured by steam and shit. And then when he strolls out to meet Cape Man. James Earl Jones is sounding pretty old these days and I think they could've pitched his voice a little higher to sound more like '70s Vader, but it was cool to see him in that scene. People don't like that he used a pun, but I thought he was one Bad Hombre in that scene, and the pun worked for me. I must say that I really could have done without his last scene, where he chops up a bunch of dudes. I think it was just an excuse for the filmmakers to have a lightsaber in the movie. I guess it's cool how they showed what the Rebels went through to get that fucking disk to the Princess, but I thougth the scene went on way too long with Vader throwing people with the Force and cutting them down. It was like, "Hey look guys it's Darth Vader isn't he so fucking cool?" Yeah, I guess, but that's not really what the movie is about. You alreadykilled everybody who mattered. This movie isn't about Darth Vader. I liked that they made it so you could see through his little eye goggles a little, just like in A NEW HOPE. They all saw A NEW HOPE, guys. The filmmakers saw that movie and they want you to know it.

3) They should've cut the last minute out of the movie. The Darth Vader stuff and then showing weird Leia. We didn't really need that either. "They gave us hope or whatever," she says. Like we didn't know that. But shit, man. I guess it's not that bad. I just think they could have ended it without that. Because she looked fucking weird.
Also, whose idea was it to end with an iris out followed by the classic Starwar end music? Did not fit this film at all and kinda doesn't gel with the whole concept of a standalone film. End it without the iris and put different music in there. This is not the time for some happy music and shit. Everyone just fucking died.

So there you have it. ROGUE WON A STARWAR TALE. Perfect? No. But almost. Tweak some things. Cut some things. Then it would be. As it stands, this might have just become my favorite Starwar. I liked it much more than THE FORCE AWAKENS, and I really liked THE FORCE AWAKENS.

Forrest Whitaker was kind of the Jar Jar of this movie almost. I don't know what he was going for there.

tl/dr

... oh I saw the bit where you wanted to cry. Oh please gimme a break. Over this? Get the fuck outta here. Grow some balls. Cry at Awakenings, a movie that really deserves your tears. Not this fantasy movie where the characters aren't set up well enough to care about when they die, or if you see them properly die at all (Bodhi, Baze I'm looking at you - well not when you died).
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:31 pm

Ribbons wrote:

I haven't seen the movie yet ...

Well hurry the hell up mate! It's been out for a week already! Call yourself a Star Wars or movie fan? Hurry up, I'm just DYING to hear your opinion that clearly doesn't know what it's talking about tell me what you thought of this movie.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Ribbons on Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:49 pm

You will have to wait until December 26th, when I'm seeing it with my family over the holidays. Then I'll pull a caruso and write a really long review that you mostly skip over.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:44 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:

CARUSO REVIEWS ROGUE WON

tl/dr

... oh I saw the bit where you wanted to cry. Oh please gimme a break. Over this? Get the fuck outta here. Grow some balls. Cry at Awakenings, a movie that really deserves your tears. Not this fantasy movie where the characters aren't set up well enough to care about when they die, or if you see them properly die at all (Bodhi, Baze I'm looking at you - well not when you died).

So did you get cut out of this too?
caruso_stalker217

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:45 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:

CARUSO REVIEWS ROGUE WON

tl/dr

So did you get cut out of this too?

No!!!

Yes.

But I'm there in spiri..... oh leave me alooonee!!! *Runs off waving arms in the air like a girl*
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby so sorry on Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:32 am

I need to prepare myself for a Peven-lashing….here goes.

Yeah, I didn't really like this one. Didn't hate it (like i did with the Force Awakens), but didn't like it. I guess I really have to give up on the hope of LOVING a Star Wars movie ever again. I'll go see every single movie they put out under the SW title, and I will certainly find entertainment in them, but "love" may never happen again. But that's just my hangup…

The Good:
The tone of this film. An adult-themed SW movie was just what I was hoping for. Nothing goofy here, no hammy jokes, no eye-rolling over the top jedi action (I was perfectly OK with the Darth Vader end scene…like Peven said, it was great to see a real menacing badass Vader vs always being TOLD he was badass). People die in every SW movie, but when the tone of the film isn't hokey, then these deaths are supposed to have a little more punch. I wonder how a young kid would react to this one…there was a flat out murder (shooting a comrade in the back), an assassination mission, and a suicide mission. Heavy stuff for a 7 year old right?

So that K-2SO dude is pretty much the robotic embodiment of Sheldon Cooper. That's all I could think of every time he talked.

Mads Milkman: this guy is a fucking presence. As for his character, its really cool for them to give a reason for serious flaw in the Death Star design. Retconned for sure, but I liked it.

The cinematography was fantastic. A gorgeous looking movie.

The Bad:
CGI Tarkin was OK to a point, but the more he was onscreen, the more we are aware that its not real. Leia at the end…that looked really off to me…very fake looking. And I think unnecessary. She could have said those words without revealing her face.

Forrest Whittaker. I generally haven't liked anything this guys been in, but man he was over the top acting here.

So the rebel general decides on his own to take the Rebel fleet to a fight without consulting with anyone? He just up and left with all those fucking ships????

Time: I never get a feeling for time in SW movies. Did this all take place over the span of 48 hours? How could a group of fiercely independent individuals bond so quickly like this?

R2D2 and C3PO: Ok I get it, they have to be in every fucking movie. But correct me if I'm wrong, but in this movie they are on Yavin4 as the fleet takes off to Scarif. But at the end of the movie, the ship that is carrying Leia and the plans was involved in the battle. But the droids weren't on it! They were still on Yavin according to THIS film.

The Ugly:
(This is where I may sound nit-picking)
Hard drive technology has really come a long was since then, hasn't it? We've all seen the stolen Death Star plans right? I think my 8bit Super Mario Brothers Nintendo cartridge could hold that amount of information, not the 5 pound SSHD that Heroine had to carry up to the tower. And to think that the Galactic Empire stores all their important information IN ONE PLACE is ludicrous. A million planets across the galaxy…they'd surely have to have a back up somewhere right? That's IT 101 right there. ALWAYS HAVE A BACK UP.

Sending communications during hyperspace? C'mon, that's just ridiculous.

This Easter Egg: the two Cantina guys, doing the same fucking thing? God dammit that's just pandering to the nerd crowd and completely unnecessary. And how the fuck did they avoid getting vaporized with the rest of the city btw????

Oh, and another thing: its been a while since I've seen A New Hope, but didn't Princess Leia tell Darth Vader right to his face that she was on a diplomatic mission from Alderaan when he captured her? As opposed to being in the middle of a fleet-sized space battle that she escaped from? That is a HUGE continuity error right? No, Vader doesn't technically know at the time of Rogue One that Leia is on that ship, but the vibe I get is that the beginning of A New Hope happens very soon (immediately?) after this movie is over.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Peven on Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:38 am

quantum entanglement. get with the 21st century you philly neanderthal :-P

there are rebuttals to most of your complaints but this is the first day of my Christmas break and I just don't feel like it :D

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby so sorry on Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:14 pm

Peven wrote:quantum entanglement. get with the 21st century you philly neanderthal :-P

there are rebuttals to most of your complaints but this is the first day of my Christmas break and I just don't feel like it :D

I know most of my complaints can be explained away with "its a SW movie" and that's acceptable. I guess my overall beef is that a more adult-themed movie could have had a more plausible plot. I can't let go of stupid shit like the fact that the only way to maneuver a giant signal tower is to go outside of a giant building and pull levers while standing on a precarious scaffolding hanging 40 feet away. It didn't have to be that dumb, I'm sure they could have figured out something more grounded and yet still (supposed to be) thrilling. Instead I just got a bunch of face-palm moments... again, I know its just me, and that's fine.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Peven on Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:49 pm

so sorry wrote:
Peven wrote:quantum entanglement. get with the 21st century you philly neanderthal :-P

I know most of my complaints can be explained away with "its a SW movie" and that's acceptable. I guess my overall beef is that a more adult-themed movie could have had a more plausible plot. I can't let go of stupid shit like the fact that the only way to maneuver a giant signal tower is to go outside of a giant building and pull levers while standing on a precarious scaffolding hanging 40 feet away. It didn't have to be that dumb, I'm sure they could have figured out something more grounded and yet still (supposed to be) thrilling. Instead I just got a bunch of face-palm moments... again, I know its just me, and that's fine.

if it makes you feel better I thought the same thing about the lever on a precarious outdoor platform hundreds of feet in the air while watching the movie, "well, they made it a real pain in the ass to adjust that array, didn't they?" :lol:

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheButcher on Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:16 pm

ThePlaylist:
‘Rogue One’ Team Talk TV Show Origins, The Original Pitch, Moving Away From The “Familiar Elements” Of ‘Force Awakens,’ More
Kathleen Kennedy Wants To Explore Saw Gerrera "Even Further In Our Future Development”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:50 am

/film:
SPOILERS

io9:
Lucasfilm Finally Addresses Rogue One's Biggest Controversy
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: ROGUE ONE: Reshoots?

Postby TheButcher on Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:53 am

Ben Mendelsohn on Shooting “Enormously Different” Versions of ‘Rogue One’
The actor also discusses the filming experience with Gareth Edwards, how he landed the role, and working with Steven Spielberg on 'Ready Player One'.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby SilentBobX on Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:24 pm

Saw Rogue One this past weekend and I have to say in all sincerity..............

I didn't like it.

I just don't get it. It had a lot of good parts, action sequences, and K2S0 is my newest favorite robot outside of Ahnuld's Terminator, but overall it wasn't enough to hold my interest. For starters, too much CGI Grand Moff Tarkin, a stroll through the uncanny valley and beyond It just didn't connect with me on the romantic, fanboy level that so many people have. I hear all these people screaming 'MILLENIUM FALCON!!!" in trailer reaction videos and all I can do is roll my eyes. It was nice seeing the AT AT walkers again, sure. And the practical FX mixed with good acting all around elevate it above the prequels(but then again that's faint praise as I could name 10 DTV movies that are better than those)

This is just me, my opinion, and not an indictment of anyone's love of anything Star Wars related. But it felt like an overly expensive fan film with real actors and good special FX. The problems with it were that it lacked the warmth, humor, and humanity of the characters we got to know and love in the OT. Jyn Erso is an empty vessel, a one note test audience approved character with one trait. The rest of the characters, save for maybe Chirrut and Baze, just didn't hold my interest.

What I liked: K2SO, AT AT Walkers, the battle scene at the end.

What I didn't: Darth Vader's cheap looking costume, CGI truth serum Cthulu monster, Plot hole regarding the plans and the ending. In ANH, Vader says the plans were beamed aboard Leia's ship when in Rogue One, they were clearly not, but rather taken aboard via floppy disk, clunky dialogue, woefully unnecessary fan service(ie, bringing back characters we've seen before)

But worst of all, I saw this and then came home to learn of Carrie Fisher's passing, which made it even more sad to me.

Mahalo

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion