Logan

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Logan

Postby so sorry on Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:06 am

so sorry
Deacon Blues

Re: Logan

Postby Fievel on Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:15 am

He looks so much like Joel from the game The Last of Us that it isn't even funny.

That being said, this looks interesting. It's not Old Man Logan, but it's Logan as an old man.......
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Peven on Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:29 pm

I am usually a Wolverine hater.....but this looks pretty good

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:02 pm

It doesn't look like a typical comic book movie, which is a plus in my book. I'm all for pushing the envelope of the genre. What it's about and whether it's any good remains to be seen, but I'm definitely intrigued. This will probably be the final X-Film before Fox reboots the franchise (not counting Deadpool), so here's hoping it goes out on a high note.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheButcher on Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:35 am

My Two Dads The Movie!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:10 am

About those 40 Minutes of James Mangold's LOGAN that played - No Spoilers
Hey folks, Harry here... I told you I'd be back with a completely spoiler free impression of the first third of James Mangold's LOGAN which played at BNAT18 over a month ago. I was asked by FOX to make sure that the audience, as well as myself, wouldn't reveal spoilers for what happens in the 40+ minutes we saw - and I'll absolutely honor that... but... you need to know something vitally important about that 40 minutes.

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:40 pm

Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:00 pm

Oh my god....that looks amazing.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby so sorry on Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:14 pm

Wow!

Outside of the comic book bit, that did look pretty neat.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:37 pm

Fried Gold wrote:

TheButcher wrote: Collider:
Stop Asking Directors to Release Trailers

"Well done, @MarvelRulezDCSux.”
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:12 pm

so sorry wrote:Wow!

"neat"?

"NEAT"?

who the fuck are you? Opie Cunningham? :-P\

:wink:

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Re: Logan v Opie Cunningham: Dawn of Mustache

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Peven wrote:
so sorry wrote:Wow!

"neat"?

"NEAT"?

who the fuck are you? Opie Cunningham? :-P\

:wink:

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:38 am

Professor X said a bad language word
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re: Logan and James Mangold

Postby TheButcher on Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:26 am

Hugh Jackman Almost Quit After X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Logan Director Explains Why Wolverine’s Yellow Costume Doesn’t Make Sense
Rob Keyes wrote:With The Wolverine: Unleashed Edition, we get that great tease, of course, of the yellow costume – was there ever any pressure or desire to, “Fine, let’s suit him up in the yellow”?

James Mangold
: I always feel a certain contingent of fans who are yearning for it. But the biggest block I’ve had – I’m willing to take the heat for it – is that, I can never get past, being a writer for these movies as well, that Logan is the least narcissistic of all the superheroes, any kind I can think of – Marvel, DC or anywhere else. What I mean by that is, who puts a special branded outfit on when they do good deeds? And why? The only reason you do it is so you can have some sort of trademarked claim and get credit for what you did. Nothing seems less Wolverine-like than the desire to put on a trademarked outfit , particularly canary yellow, and kind of prance about doing good deeds and have people go, “Oh my God! It’s The Wolverine!” At least the Wolverine, as I see him, that’s a real struggle for me and always has been. I somehow feel that if somehow we ever put Hugh [Jackman] into one of those outfits, people would not be happy. Essentially, it’s something that lives on the page and I’m not sure could live anywhere else.

Capone says LOGAN is an epic, violent Western set in a hopeless future!!!
ssauronthepowerful
It was good but not great in my opinion. Mangold again brought more of the same frustrating dead space like The Wolverine. Stewart was phenomenal in the movie, but couldn't hold off a lot of that drag. Mangold also demonstrated the same angst ridden need to depower the super in superhero once again, and it really detracts later in the movie.

Without delving into spoilers, the film also falls into the same second act trap as Age of Ultron (even using another ER alumni in the process). The girl did a really good job given her age but the third act felt hamfisted compared to the top shelf, first act setup. No Country For Old Men is positioned around dialogue and elocution. Other than the saturated desert visuals, this had none of that by a long shot.

dibu24
I liked the movie very much as it is a fine goodbye to Jackman and Stewart in their respective roles and also loved Daphne Keen as X-23 (Laura Kinney IS X-23, she is not "based" on the character) but I do think that Mangold shouldn't do further superhero movies as he obviously doesn't understand the genre. He has too much fun to disempower the heroes (now already for the second time), taking that away what made them special and enjoyable in the first place in order to create the nice drama movies he prefers.

Don't get me wrong: I think "Logan" is excellent, on my personal hit list it comes directly after "X-men 2" and "X-men: Days of future past" (the movie has been a bit overhyped by critics IMHO) but plays more like the most expensive independent drama (with action scenes) instead of what I consider to be a "real" superhero movie.

I loved the first 2 acts where it was kind of the X-men version of "Three men and a little lady" but felt the last third where it suddenly turned into "Mad Max beyond Thunderdome" quite unnecessary. And the evil Wolverine clone felt out of place. Would have made more sense if Liev Schreiber would have returned to play Sabretooth one more time.

In summary: Good movie but now is the time for Fox to open a new page in their X-men franchise. But I would like to see Laura / X-23 again in another movie (maybe they can convince Jackman to play some kind of extended cameo (flashback? time travel episode?) one more time)?

Make it so. ;-)

ssauronthepowerful
Your first paragraph speaks more truth than any review or fan commentary I've seen on this site and a good portion of the net. Mangold clearly doesn't understand the genre when he constantly feels the need to depower what made these characters special in the first place.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:45 pm

I guess I could have put this in the Deadpool thread, but check out the little "short film" Fox put at the beginning of Logan:

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:50 pm

Great, we finally get 4 posts in a row from someone that isn't a movie spam link bot, and one of them is finally about Logan since it's release - what will it be I wonder? A glowering long review designed to get lots of comments in return about it? - No, we get a fucking link to bloody Deadpool, which has basically fuck all to do with the Logan movie.

What a Zone fail this is.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Ribbons on Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:54 am

Well I haven't seen Logan yet, but I'll tell you what, Kirks: I will write a review tomorrow (or Monday), just for you
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:41 am

i named my last bowel movement 'Logan' and i'll also post a review... just for Kirks.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:15 am

Shouldn't this be moved to the fucking discussion forum or some shit?
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby Fievel on Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:11 am

There is a Fucking Discussion Forum?

Is that like Penthouse Forum?

Dear Zoners,
I never thought something like this could happen to me.....

:D
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Peven on Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:15 am

saw it. liked it a lot. still think Wolverine is the whiniest mutant ever.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheButcher on Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:02 pm

'Logan': Why Rated R Shouldn't Be the Future of Superhero Movies
The real lesson from projects like the third Wolverine and 'Deadpool' is to take risks and grant more creative control to filmmakers.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:36 pm

TheButcher wrote:'Logan': Why Rated R Shouldn't Be the Future of Superhero Movies
The real lesson from projects like the third Wolverine and 'Deadpool' is to take risks and grant more creative control to filmmakers.

DC Films Reportedly Interested in Making R-Rated Superhero Movies
Following the success of both Deadpool and Logan, DC Films seems ready to go the R-rated route.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:16 pm

TheButcher wrote:
TheButcher wrote:'Logan': Why Rated R Shouldn't Be the Future of Superhero Movies

DC Films Reportedly Interested in Making R-Rated Superhero Movies
Following the success of both Deadpool and Logan, DC Films seems ready to go the R-rated route.

and this is why Marvel films continue to succeed and DC films will continue to sputter and fail. Marvel makes the trends... DC just follows them (poorly).
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:48 pm

...poorly?

caruso_stalker217

Postby Peven on Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:21 pm

side note: the Deadpool trailer that ran before "Logan" was fucking hilarious, though could have been 30 seconds shorter

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:51 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:Shouldn't this be moved to the fucking discussion forum or some shit?

Done, or some shit
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:58 pm

I used to think you were one of a kind, Ribbons. I was wrong. (not-really-applicable X2 reference)
caruso_stalker217

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:59 pm

Now that that is out of the way, I shall post my thoughts on the film.......eventually.
caruso_stalker217

Postby bastard_robo on Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:33 am

Good, but not great. Little too long, and the third act had a few issues. Mostly the kids the drug and the bullet.

I kinda wish they went this way for "THE WOLVERINE" but it was great to actually see a film where he could actually slice and dice fuckers with his claws and see the outcome. It's a strong film, but not a perfect film.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Ribbons on Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:11 am

I pretty much agree with bastard_robo's assessment. It had some issues, particularly (for me anyway) weird pacing issues. For example, there was a scene in the beginning of the film where Wolverine makes a joke about how everybody likes energy drinks. Then halfway through the movie a guy with a British accent shows up. Then he reveals that he's the son of some random soldier who "Weapon X" killed in X-Men: Apocalypse, and also there are no more mutants because they put something in the energy drinks everybody loves to get rid of the mutant gene, but only until they can figure out how to control it, and then a second later that guy gets shot in the head and the whole subplot that you didn't even know was there goes away. That's the most egregious example, but not the only one. Considering how slow and deliberate the film is when dealing with character, a few big emotional moments don't quite land the way they should. I also thought the Shane reference at the very end was a little too on the nose, but that may just be personal preference. What I did appreciate was how Jackman and Mangold used the R rating to push the envelope of what a superhero movie is. Nobody in the film is particularly heroic, Logan least of all: he's torn between getting Professor X to Mexico so he can kill himself or getting his daughter to Canada and dying in the process. It's almost breathtakingly minimal, but I cared more about the fate of a little girl than I have over any blockbuster movie with world-ending consequences. I cared about the decisions characters made here more than I have over any comic book movie since The Dark Knight. Which is kind of appropriate, because the Dark Knight series was probably the last superhero franchise that didn't have to set up the next three franchises in a giant, cinematic universe. Studios are going to try and emulate the success of Logan (and Deadpool) before it with a glut of R-rated comic book movies: Sony's already trying with Venom, and I have no doubt Warner Bros. is going to get Lobo going sometime soon. But the real lesson they should learn from this, the real risk to take, is to only set out to make a personal, self-contained story about one character, not an extended sizzle reel designed to sell toys.

A word about the acting: Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart are very good in this, but Dafne Keen (X-23) is amazing. I have no idea where they found her but she's a gift from the cinema gods.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:39 pm

yeah, the girl kills it. my biggest complaint was that they were too fucking coy about what happened before, just vague references. it feels like lazy storytelling, like they couldn't really figure out how the characters got to where they were exactly so they avoid trying to explain it clearly to the audiences, a cinematic yada yada yada. irritated me.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:56 pm

Yeah, that was one of the things I had a problem with. They allude to a massacre in Westchester a few times, and I think you're meant to infer that Professor X had a "senior moment" of sorts and killed everybody with his mind. I would have liked at least one nice scene where he and the audience are given a chance to come to terms with what happened, but all we get is him sort of half-mumbling about it in his sleep right before getting stabbed.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Al Shut on Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:53 pm

Oh how I hate that kid. :evil:

The one from Shane of course, not the one from Logan.

Caught up with this and liked it a lot, definitely enough to look past the occasional flaw, like the spectaculary clueless and ill-prepared bad guys. I mention that as an example because the day before I watched Deadpool, which I didn't like at all, where some of the same stuff bothered me to no end.

Basically it's what I expected/hoped for from a James Mangold directed Wolverine movie and what in a lot of ways The Wolverine wasn't. So I guess it shows that everyone deserves a second try.

It also reminded me a lot of those Momoru Hosoda animes where at it's core it's a story I shouldn't care about on paper (highschool girl falls in love, single mom and two children need to find their place in this world, aging man his sperm donation daughter and alzheimer dad go on a road trip), then some time-travel, virtual reality, mutant gimmick is added but I'm almost certainI like the movies not because of the gimmick but because of the core story. Although Logan puts a little more emphasis on it and I'm slightly less certain that I would like it if it wasn't about mutants. Maybe 80% certain.

But still, fuck Shane.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:03 pm

SHANE is some of the most boring bullshit I've ever seen. And that kid's mom was, what, 70 years old?
caruso_stalker217

Return to Movie Discussion