Captain Marvel

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Captain Marvel

Postby so sorry on Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:11 am

Another great trailer from Marvel.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Re: Captain Marvel

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:31 pm

you had me at Blockbuster Video.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Wolfpack on Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:58 pm

My spidey senses are detecting a lot of alt-right butthurt over the existence of a female Capt. Marvel.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:36 am

well, this looks good.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:48 pm

TheBaxter wrote:

well, this looks good.

I guess that cat scene at the end holds some significance to Captain Marvel fans?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fievel on Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:22 pm

I had one issue of Captain Marvel (1980s) as a kid that I bought in an attempt to impress my dad, who had read the original Captain Marvel (Shazam) as a kid in the 1940s. I don't even remember reading it after being disappointed that it wasn't the same character.
So I can't speak of the cat.

But I will say that it looks like a fun movie! All three of my kids think it looks great, too.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Peven on Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:57 pm

looks fantastic....

D,C.- "I know we screwed up Justice League but look at what a great job we did with Wonder Woman, at least we can say we made best female superhero movie ever."

Marvel- "Hold my beer"

:-P

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:02 am

Fievel wrote:
so sorry wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:

I guess that cat scene at the end holds some significance to Captain Marvel fans?

I had one issue of Captain Marvel (1980s) as a kid that I bought in an attempt to impress my dad, who had read the original Captain Marvel (Shazam) as a kid in the 1940s.

So I can't speak of the cat.

Well, the cat IS in fact an alien named a... [checks notes] ...flerrrgen?

But I think the point of that gag at the end was supposed to be how Nick Fury is a naïve, sentimental putz in the early '90s -- a far cry from the grizzled badass he embodies in the present Marvel timeline. At least I hope that's the point. I'm not sure anyone's supposed to care about flergens.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:19 am

Kitty!
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Wolfpack on Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:31 am

Captain Meow-vil.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:05 pm

it's about time Marvel made a film about a superhero with a pussy.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Ribbons on Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:48 pm

Brie Larson continues to look thoroughly unconvincing as a badass:

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby so sorry on Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:01 pm

Ribbons wrote:Brie Larson continues to look thoroughly unconvincing as a badass:

But...but..but... she's a woman, so she's automatically badass right?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Peven on Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:14 pm

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

you both need to have some 125lb woman kick your asses, and believe it or not there are more than a few that could...…

it is 2019, time to catch up boys. I know strong women are intimidating to some of you so dismissal is a comfortable defense mechanism, but like it or not girls/women can be just as strong and tough as most boys/men. I know an 8th grade girl that is one of the prettiest in her class along with being a hockey player good enough to be recruited already by colleges and I bet she could probably mess either of you up already. it is really sad how far behind the curve so many men are in this country. oh yeah, sosorry, you really need to do some meditation or something to curb that passive aggressiveness, it's not healthy. if you want to insult women just come out and do it, don't try to be coy about it with sarcasm. :wink:

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:58 pm

Peven wrote:it is 2019... like it or not girls/women can be just as strong and tough as most boys/men.

Apparently Brie Larson didn't get the memo.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Wolfpack on Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:03 pm

People! Can't we all just get a lawn?
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby Peven on Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:37 am

Wolfpack wrote:People! Can't we all just get a lawn?

lawns are environmentally irresponsible! do you know that more pesticides and fertilizers are used per square acre on lawns in this country than farmland?????? and here you are proposing that EVERYONE get a lawn??? what kind of a monster are you??? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

:wink:

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby so sorry on Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:45 am

Peven wrote:
Wolfpack wrote:People! Can't we all just get a lawn?

lawns are environmentally irresponsible! do you know that more pesticides and fertilizers are used per square acre on lawns in this country than farmland?????? and here you are proposing that EVERYONE get a lawn??? what kind of a monster are you??? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

:wink:

Clearly he's White Male American. :wink:
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Peven on Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:52 am

another false trope used by the right wing as a propaganda tool. many white male Americans are environmentalists, strong supporters of women's rights and LGBTQ rights, as well as being damn good cooks. :D

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:59 am

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby so sorry on Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:12 pm

Ribbons wrote:Well, this is kind of awesome:

Check out Captain Marvel's '90s-tastic website

Rad!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:17 pm

i can't wait for this movie to come out...

... so i can finally stop hearing about Brie Larson's fucking training regimen all the time.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:13 am

TheBaxter wrote:i can't wait for this movie to come out...

... so i can finally stop hearing about Brie Larson's fucking training regimen all the time.

The same training regime I'm gonna take up as it's on y youtube feed all the time?

The one that I'm gonna start multiple threads here and show you sweating pics of me working out in just leather shorts?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Peven on Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:34 pm

finally went to see Captain Marvel last night with the girlfriend, we both really enjoyed it and thought it did a great job with portraying a female hero character without any concessions, like at the end when she tells Jude, "I don't have anything to prove to you". fucking fantastic. men who are getting bent over this movie are just showing their delicate egos. it is a the kind of mythological hero archetype that boys grow up talking for granted and girls deserve just as much. heads above Wonder Woman, and I liked WW.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Tue May 28, 2019 9:17 pm

Peven wrote:heads above Wonder Woman, and I liked WW.

It sounds like Kirks needs to make another Superchick Hairpuller thread to settle this dispute.

Peven wrote:I thought it did a great job with portraying a female hero character without any concessions, like at the end when she tells Jude, "I don't have anything to prove to you". fucking fantastic.

I did relish that moment quite a bit; Jude Law was like the classic Twitterbro demanding an uppity woman earn their respect. I can't say I was overly fond of the rest of the film. It almost felt like the inverse of the typical Marvel movie, which is usually a pretty standard origin and/or doomsday plot that adheres rigidly to formula but largely succeeds due to auteur-ish directors putting their personal stamp on the proceedings. I thought they hit on a pretty brilliant hook with Captain Marvel -- a brainwashed female supersoldier who has to slowly unlearn who she thinks she is in order to regain her humanity and reach her full potential -- but rather than lean into everything strong about the material, it felt completely lifeless and unengaging, almost like it was made on autopilot. The generic MCU formula, where everything is breezy and quippy and inconsequential, normally props a film up during rough patches. Here it felt like the story kind of drowned in it. I also didn't love all of the prequel stuff, which either felt like unnecessary fan service or raised more questions than it answered.

Brie Larson was really good in the role, though. There wasn't a whole lot to Carol Danvers on the page, but she does a heroic job of imbuing the character with charisma and complexity based on the strength of her performance. I enjoyed all of the performances in fact, particularly Ben Mendelsohn, who plays against type for once as a secret good guy.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Tue May 28, 2019 10:27 pm

Ribbons wrote:
Peven wrote:heads above Wonder Woman, and I liked WW.

It sounds like Kirks needs to make another Superchick Hairpuller thread to settle this dispute.

Peven wrote:I thought it did a great job with portraying a female hero character without any concessions, like at the end when she tells Jude, "I don't have anything to prove to you". fucking fantastic.

I did relish that moment quite a bit; Jude Law was like the classic Twitterbro demanding an uppity woman earn their respect. I can't say I was overly fond of the rest of the film. It almost felt like the inverse of the typical Marvel movie, which is usually a pretty standard origin and/or doomsday plot that adheres rigidly to formula but largely succeeds due to auteur-ish directors putting their personal stamp on the proceedings. I thought they hit on a pretty brilliant hook with Captain Marvel -- a brainwashed female supersoldier who has to slowly unlearn who she thinks she is in order to regain her humanity and reach her full potential -- but rather than lean into everything strong about the material, it felt completely lifeless and unengaging, almost like it was made on autopilot. The generic MCU formula, where everything is breezy and quippy and inconsequential, normally props a film up during rough patches. Here it felt like the story kind of drowned in it. I also didn't love all of the prequel stuff, which either felt like unnecessary fan service or raised more questions than it answered.

Brie Larson was really good in the role, though. There wasn't a whole lot to Carol Danvers on the page, but she does a heroic job of imbuing the character with charisma and complexity based on the strength of her performance. I enjoyed all of the performances in fact, particularly Ben Mendelsohn, who plays against type for once as a secret good guy.

you're spot on with your take on the story/plot, I concede, 2-dimensional for the most part, nothing too complex or existential. but then most of these genre movies are, and if they do deliver on that front even for a scene or a few moments it really stands out for me. Ang Lee went all in and attempted to mine the deeper meanings of a character in the comic genre with a genuine, heartfelt film and was crucified for it, let's not forget. the directors/producers know that they can only make a big budget movie marginally "deep" or challenging when it comes to character development or theme. that is left for "Oscar bait" movies. :D

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Return to Movie Discussion