Marie Antoinette

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

With 10 being the best and 1 being the worst, how would you rate Marie Antoinette?

21%
5%
5%
26%
11%
11%
5%
No votes
No votes
No votes
I'm waiting for DVD / TV
11%
I won't be seeing this
5%

Total votes : 19

Marie Antoinette

Postby motorcycle boy on Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:26 pm

Looks great, but sounds even better. Anyone know the song used in the trailer? It sounds like Joy Division, but I'm not sure.
motorcycle boy
GLIB

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:29 pm

Do you have a link to the trailer?

Just for future reference, I recommend definitely having one if you're starting the thread.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Soto-kun on Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:35 pm

New Order's "Age of Consent"
And I'm still smoking, what?
Soto-kun
GLIB

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:37 pm

Trailer

I'm still waitin' for it to download...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Sakurai on Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:39 pm

Sofia is amazing.

I wasn't sure if i liked the trailer at the beginning, but by the end i realized the trailer rocks.
Sakurai
GLIB

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:42 pm

See I'm worried the film is just going to be wholly anachronistic like the trailer is. It's sheer laziness. I liked the BBC version of Casanova with David Tennant and I suppose that was kind of guilty of the same thing. But that railer just makes me thing it's going to be like Clueless or something which I know is odd because that in itself is Emma by ane Austen.
Colour me concerned.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:42 pm

Thanks, KCBC.

Sakurai, any way you can shrink that pic a little so it doesn't push the text over? (Nice pic, BTW.) We're trying to keep them to 100x100 pixels, if possible. Thanks!
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:45 pm

Looks like a strange mashup of Barry Lyndon and Valley Girl.

Interesting.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:51 pm

I really, really dig it. I love anachronistic music like that, especially when the images are so striking.

I've never been a fan of Kirsten Dunst, but I'll probably check this out. Or, well, Netflix at least.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:54 pm

I like the trailer, but it makes me think the film is going to be all in modern language with modern problems for Antoinette and not really do a good job of telling her story.
Last edited by TonyWilson on Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby Seppuku on Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:03 pm

With a name like Tony Wilson (head of Factory Records), you should be ecstatic at the use of New Order on the soundtrack. Or maybe you want to keep them for yourselves, everybody will suffice with the Poor Man's New Order (Pet Shop Boys, Depeche Mode), while you get to keep those Melodic Mancunians all for yourself...

Selfish, Tony, very selfish.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:06 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:With a name like Tony Wilson (head of Factory Records), you should be ecstatic at the use of New Order on the soundtrack. Or maybe you want to keep them for yourselves, everybody will suffice with the Poor Man's New Order (Pet Shop Boys, Depeche Mode), while you get to keep those Melodic Mancunians all for yourself...

Selfish, Tony, very selfish.

ISOMDILASH

Well y'know I just don't think the rest of the World (for that read Americans) is ready for them.
You can have the Happy Mondays instead, and don't get all crabby about it ,Shaun Ryder's the greatest poet since Keats!!!
TonyWilson

Postby Seppuku on Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:19 pm

Well y'know I just don't think the rest of the World (for that read Americans) is ready for them.
You can have the Happy Mondays instead, and don't get all crabby about it ,Shaun Ryder's the greatest poet since Keats!!!

And they will all be familiar with GTA's lovable self-mutilator from the likes of San Andreas. Where he played Sean Ryder but with an added unhealthy obsession with his own member...so basically, the same ol' Sean that we all know and love.[/quote]
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby henrykrinkle on Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:38 pm

Looks terrific.

And so does Kirsten, who is just the most appealing and cute femme out there.
henrykrinkle
GLIB

Postby Cbabbitt on Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:37 pm

Awesome.

Fall 06.....bah!!!!!

Great trailer.
Cbabbitt
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby AlaninTally on Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:06 pm

I thought the trailer was very interesting. The cast list itself is intriguing...Molly Shannon in a period movie?!?!?!?

If you ever saw Jefferson in Paris, my favorite part of the whole movie is the introduction of Marie Antoinette and her whole "backstory." Seems like she was very lonely and had to create a world for herself. Just so happens she had the benefit of having gobs of wealth to fully realize that world.

I trust Sofia Coppola won't make it Clueless II: The Versailles Years,but rather with a good deal of sadness with dashes of mirth.
AlaninTally
GLIB

Postby thomasgaffney on Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:19 pm

I just watched this trailer and thought it was very well done.

And I thought that Dunst looked great in it...
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Brocktune on Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:29 pm

i saw the trailer for this before memoiers of a geisha i think. my thoughts were (in chronological order) as follows:
new order?
man kirsten dunst is hot!
this could be good or lame.
im probably going to love the soundtrack
man kirsten dunst is hot
im probably going to see this

it kind of reminds me of that knights tale movie where it was supposed to be all old, but with new music. or else it reminds me of that romeo and juliet thats set in present day. the one thing i do know is that the song "kings of the wild frontier" by adam and the ants is on the soundtrack, so i will definitely go see this.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby thomasgaffney on Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:34 pm

The wife told me that I have to take her to see this when she first heard about it. After seeing the trailer (and how hot Dunst looks), I'm going to be glad to be going.
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:06 am

New (to me) trailer! Bare ass! Rip Torn! Thankfully not Rip Torn's bare ass!

Anybody know if this got into Cannes?
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:00 am

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:Anybody know if this got into Cannes?

indeed it did Tyrone, indeed it did.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:17 pm

This is now my second most anticipated release of the year, that is a great trailer.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:28 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:This is now my second most anticipated release of the year, that is a great trailer.

It does look very good. What is your first?
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:31 pm

That one has me intrigued as well
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby doglips on Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:34 pm

The Fountain.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby TonyWilson on Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:47 pm

I'm so concerned about this film. I mean the trailer looks really special but I'm sure that's just the juxtaposition of the brilliant music and constant montages of opulence. I guess I just don't particularly like the idea of the film being so anachronistic. It seems sort of a cop out...I could be wrong but I'd prefer to see a more realistic take on story.
TonyWilson

Postby doglips on Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:05 pm

I can understand your concern Tony, the trailer does give the impression of a slightly whimsical take on the Queens life but I cannot wait to see what Coppola's take on a 19 year olds life as Queen of France is going to be. The film looks as if it is coming from the more human and emotional side of her story, and through the eyes of a considerate director and very talented script writer like Coppola, I think we are in for a treat. The Soundtrack, hip cast and lavish costumes/sets will all juxtapose nicely with what I think is going to be a very angsty and sad story. I am sure that Coppola will have not chosen style over historical accuracy.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Lady Sheridan on Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:21 pm

The sets and costumes are stunning.

I remain unimpressed with Dunst so far, and I think she may be the weakest link in the film.

I don't know much about Marie Antoinette--I studied her a bit when I was a teenager, but French history is my least favorite topic. I do remember that she wasn't quite the twit often portrayed, and it seems like they got that right here.

The guy playing her lover...nice!!
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby doglips on Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:21 pm

I think Dunst is a great choice, this is a major role for her and having worked with Coppola before will have set her in good stead. Coppola has proven with Dunst and with Scarlett Johannson that she can draw out a fantastic performance from her leading lady, I hope the same is true here - it certainly looks that way.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Brocktune on Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:24 pm

uh-oh! THIS cant be good.

perhaps lady sheridan's observations about dunst were far more astute than i realized. but in my defense, i dont control the balls, the balls control me!

and re-reading this thread gave me the distinct impression that we might have fallen prey to some shitty marketing. just like the kind we hate, only this time, it seems we fell for it. just read like the first 2 or three posts from non-regulars. i could be full of shit, but i dont know.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:27 pm

Yeah, the early buzz was that this was going to be the sleeper hit of Cannes... and then people saw it.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Brocktune on Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:29 pm

damnit whedon, all i can think about when i look at your sig, is that ziggy marley song by the same title. and then it gets stuck in my head.
goddamnit.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:29 pm

FUCK! (ii)
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:30 pm

Brocktune wrote:damnit whedon, all i can think about when i look at your sig, is that ziggy marley song by the same title. and then it gets stuck in my head.
goddamnit.

Yeah, well, it's better than having whatever the hell this is in mine:

Creepy...
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Brocktune on Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:31 pm

hahaha

creepy..... like me!
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lady Sheridan on Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:16 pm

I kept hearing that it bombed at Cannes (tough crowd this year!) but I haven't come across a proper review. Even EW flaked out of one--and they LIKED it. Sofia Coppola came out in defense of it.

Is there a rule that the press can't review films seen at Cannes?
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:18 pm

Lady Sheridan wrote:Is there a rule that the press can't review films seen at Cannes?

No, but most times they wait until the movie is realsed.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Brocktune on Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:23 pm

Tomorrow people, where is your past?
Tomorrow people, how long will you last?

Today you say you deyah
Tomorrow you say you're gone
But you're gone so long
If there is no love in your heart - so sorry
Then there is no hope for you - true, true

So you're in the air
But you still don't have a thing to spare
You're flying high
While we're on the low o-o-oh

Tomorrow people, how long will you last? Tell me now
Tomorrow people, where is your past? No where
Tomorrow people, how long will you last? Ten years!

Stop tellin' me the same story
Today you say you deyah
Tomorrow you say you're gone and you're not coming back
If there is no love in your heart oh now
There will never be hope for you

Tomorrow people, how long will you last? Ten years!
Tomorrow people, tomorrow people, come on
Tomorrow people, tomorrow people, come on
Tomorrow people, tomorrow people, no soon come
Tomorrow people, tomorrow people, soon come
Tomorrow people, tomorrow people, today is here

If you don't know your past, you don't know your future
Everyone
Don't know your past, don't know your future everyman
Don't know your past, don't know your future, come on
Don't know your past, don't know your future

How many nations
How many people did that one catch
How many
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:28 pm

Image!!!!!
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby doglips on Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:30 pm

Sort of review on the main page. Does not give much away, except to say he enjoyed it. Still really want to see this.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby doglips on Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:20 am

Now I really want to see this.......review from the main page -

Interestingly the famed beheading is not depicted in Sophia Coppola’s Marie Antoinette. This syncs with the film’s presentation of a mad bubble world out of touch with common day reality. Yes, that’s right, royal aristocratic bourgeoisie totally disconnected from the needs of their people back a war for political reasons. In this case, the war is our war of independence. The king (Jason Schwartzman), who inherited the throne from his royal father (Rip Torn), would rather hunt than attend boring meetings where manipulative advisors essentially make decisions. Good thing stuff like this doesn’t happen today. Do I have to spell sarcasm?

Marie Antoinette is a hypnotic prism of a film that bristles with energy. It mocks regimented protocols and pageantry. It’s a contemplative daydream. It simultaneously appears to rigidly adhere to historical accuracy while flagrantly tossing it to the winds. It’s a fun contemplation on Sophia Copploa’s multi-film themes of disconnection, isolation, and being caught in the machinery of a cold uncaring society.

It’ll be best remembered for its use of 80s tunes, but the soundtrack as whole is a unique beast consisting of opera, classical, aforementioned 80s, and modern composers (e.g. unplugged Aphex Twin). Why the rock? I see two reasons. One, it jeers Versailles’ pompous court. Two, like in Moulin Rouge, the songs telegraph in modern terms what the characters feel. But ultimately it’s all part of Ms. Coppola’s unique vision. She sticks to her guns and bless her for it.

The nauseating opulence of the court is quite stunning. If you love period costumes, this is your wet dream. Shoes, cakes, jewels, parties, candy, campaign, vibrant colors, dogs, ornate art, weave the menagerie in which Marie (Kirsten Dunst) is trapped. Her whole existence is to bear children and follow inane arbitrary protocol. Her mother drives her to tears because she’s not pregnant. Even when she becomes queen she still seems like a prisoner. She’s sensitive and sweet and might have been able to contribute something constructive to society if she’d been born elsewhere. Was Marie Antoinette really like this? She’s depicted with only one additional lover and a brief fling at that. I would think she had a male harem. But I don’t know. It’s all part of Ms. Coppola’s purposely precise compelling dream.

Coppola’s command of visual language is remarkable. There are many outstanding sequences. It’s a wonderful slap in the face to Hollywood cookie cutter film school direction. She’s maturing into a cinematic animal to be reckoned with. European influences hang on her sleeve focused with American showmanship. Her opening shot and credits even tip the hat to Kubrick’s Eyes Wide Shut. It’s a definitive step forward. No matter how it’s received I hope she continues to defiantly follow her muse.

This was booed by some at Cannes. I guess the French don’t like their history being turned into an intelligent pop confection. I suppose it’s understandable. What will the rest of the world think? I’d be surprised if it was a mainstream hit. The costumes and production design will probably get Oscar nods. I surmise the reception will be divided like Moulin Rouge’s and it’ll develop a cult following. Marie Antoinette has far more on its mind, however, and Sophia Coppola earns her place as one of the most unique filmmakers to emerge in this decade.

-Psychedelic

Sounds like my kind of movie.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:46 pm

Marie Antoinette is getting a lackluster 56% day-of at Rotten Tomatoes.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby RogueScribner on Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:21 pm

I liked TVS but LiT was a little dry for my tastes. I seriously don't get all the hoopla over that movie. I'll probably wait for video for this one.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Lady Sheridan on Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:43 pm

I'm a sucker for a period piece but I will wait for DVD also, unless I can find someone who's dying to see it.

I was rather turned off when I read some NYT interview with Sofia Coppola where she said "I got bored with the history books when they, like, got into personal drama or details"

But...but...isn't that what your film is about?!

So I am skeptical it manages to show any kind of inner misery--at least beyond what the soundtrack is telling us they feel. But hey, I have been wrong before and will admit it if I am. :)
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby underscore on Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:49 am

I think the problem with a lot of those critics is that they're just too old fashioned; in short, they simply don't "get it".
Last edited by underscore on Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
underscore
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:57 am

Lady Sheridan wrote:I was rather turned off when I read some NYT interview with Sofia Coppola where she said "I got bored with the history books when they, like, got into personal drama or details"

Hahahahahahah. That is all.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby lyra belacqua on Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:08 pm

I gave it the 8. Typical Sofia.
It was nice to see Kirsten Dunst in a role I actually liked her in. I might've actually thought she was beautiful through Sofia's lens.
Visuals were breathtaking, tone languid, colors gorgeous. It was a feast for the eyes. And the ears. My mother acutally wanted to see it for the music. I was surprised she'd be interested and told her I'd see it again with her if she wanted.
I must admit though, that if I hadn't had seen a PBS doc about Marie Antionette a few weeks ago, I probably would have found it a little tedious. And the movie definately glosses over much of the negativity that occured in real life.
It's a movie that definately needs the viewer to be in the mood to watch it. There were a few people in my theater that I could tell were really bored by it. A lot of them left at least once during the almost 2 hours.
lyra belacqua
GEEK GODDESS

Postby RaulMonkey on Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:22 pm

*SPOILERS*

All right, it looks like I'm the first one to have seen this movie, although somebody gave it a ten without dropping a review. I have to start work in twenty minutes, so allow me to give you some isolated impressions. [Originally posted at 5:59p, deleted and reposted with more writing-RM]

The anachronistic soundtrack was entirely suitable: never overbearing or distracting, and generally fitting the moments of the story.

The acting style was what I would term Mametian--basically just speaking the text as yourself, as opposed to immersing yourself in and trying to become a character (Stanislavskian.) Rip Torn is blatantly Rip Torn--in a powdered wig. And yet the manners of the day and are so ever-present--there is so much tradition that need be observed at every moment, I felt the natural acting was sort of cancelled out by it all.

Having seen the movie I don't feel like I know the historical figure Marie Antoinette any better than I did walking into it. The film is in no way illuminating. It reminds us how young Antoinette was, as she whiles away the years partying all night and going all fashionista with her gal pals, but I would have hoped to have been blown away with a real life, flawed human being that challenges our bland view of an antiquated time, the way AMADEUS brought Mozart to life, but in my opinion this Antoinette is rarefied and precious.

I think the movie could have been subtitled LIFE IN THE IVORY TOWER. I don't suppose I can fault it for not being the film I would have made, or because of any preconceptions I might have had about it, but one can't help but wonder about missed opportunities. The movie is entirely about the Queen's pampered existence, and avoids depicting her subjects and the causes of the Revolution almost entirely. We see a few 'headlines' accusing Antoinette of overspending, and when the movie couldn't possibly ignore her fate any longer, the mob comes a-knocking. I guess we're supposed to see that she was just going with the flow most of her life, being married into the French royal family from Austria, living the only way she knows how, not wishing anyone any particular harm but getting croaked for it all in the end (although we are never shown her execution.) The film even asserts that "let them eat cake" was an invention of the press. Basically she's just a girl who happened to be born into a lavish life, went about her ways, the end. I don't think I'm being glib or unperceptive with this assessment, but I'd be happy to read some attempts at illustrating this movie's "depth" beyond what I've spelled out. I'm giving it 5/10.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby Lady Sheridan on Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:25 pm

RaulMonkey wrote:The film even asserts that "let them eat cake" was an invention of the press. Basically she's just a girl who happened to be born into a lavish life, went about her ways, the end.

It is true the "let them eat cake" line was an invention--I don't know if it was the press of the time, or a later addition to the story. I haven't read anything on her since I was young.

I do vividly remember a story where she and her ladies in waiting built a little dairy farm, and would go out and pretend to be milkmaids in little milkmaid outfits. If I was a starving French peasant, I would have probably called for her head too.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby RaulMonkey on Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:47 am

And yet if I was Marie Antoinette, who had basically infinite money, I could totally see coming up with the milkmaid scheme during a night of drunken reverie. I would need to come up with shit to amuse myself.

::puff:: Huh huh, huh huh huh, we should totally start a dairy farm, man. Huh huh, huh huh.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Next

Return to Movie Discussion