The Incredible Hulk!

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

The Incredible Hulk!!

No votes
19%
28%
33%
11%
3%
No votes
3%
3%
No votes
No votes

Total votes : 36

Re: THE INCREDIBLE HULK

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:25 am

Is Tony Stark talk with General Ross at the end leading to the return of Captain America or is Stark fact-finding about Hulk?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby WinslowLeach on Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:09 pm

Well he says "we're putting together a team". That must mean Cap is alive (or another super hero has been brought in). How can they have a team with only Iron Man? :)
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby LeFlambeur on Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:28 pm

Just got back from this; a movie I was actually looking forward to, but I think I'm starting to feel superhero fatigue already.

When working in France for mentor Luc Besson, Louis Leterrier managed to make a couple of pictures that, like many great foreign action films (well his weren't exactly foreign, a good deal of money came from American studios), managed to out-hollywood Hollywood, bringing a new perspective to old cliches. So it was only a matter of time until, like so many others, he was brought over to his aesthetic's geographic point of origin, much to his artistic corrosion.

The general assessment of talkbackers 'round the net was that the preview footage of the Incredible Hulk looked pretty weak. I was reluctant to agree, I still had some faith in my man Leterrier. Neither of the trailers for Transporter 2 and Unleashed were any good either, but those turned out to be two of the better action movies of their year(s) if not the decade. The footage contained worked better in sequence, when taken out of context it didn't look that much different from any other actioner. Between the wit and visual fluidity of Transporter 2; and the damaged pathos and self-questioning brutality of Unleashed, Louis seemed like an excellent choice to continue the Hulk movies, but it simply doesn't work. The Incredible Hulk lacks the stylistic panache of the former and the outlandish emotionalism of the latter. It's a flat work, content to merely recycle visual tropes of recent pictures, (note the woefully Bourne-like South American sequences, the Cloverfield/King Kong turns in NYC). The hollow competence of this version inevitably leads us back to the predecessor, Ang Lee's take. As with many of Ang's efforts, Hulk's flaw wasn't conceptual. His heart was in the right place, but his aesthetic wasn't. He wanted to make a Superhero film that challenged audiences, but the work suffered from the all too typical Ang Lee-ian awkwardness. His tenancies are far to middlebrow, one step removed from the material, to make a down and dirty genre film. Instead of faulting Lee's execution, the creators of Increadible Hulk fault his ambition. Transporter 2's sense of excitable goofiness might have worked for that conceptually silly franchise, but a figure with as much cultural baggage as the Hulk demands something more. Caught between that and a fan's reverence, TIC never really re-thinks or even vivifies the Hulk concept. The ID vs. Ego dynamic is barely touched on, and doesn't make male emotional/instinctual repression either humorous or operatic. The brief flirtation with martial arts recalls this year's terrific Redbelt, yet Banner's attempt to control himself in order to do battle with a corrupt force doesn't have half the resonance. The most interesting character is actually Emil Blonsky. Ever the hard worker, Tim Roth manages to inject his villian with a cool ferociousness and underlying sense of dispair fueling his will to power and destruction. Which is more than we got out of Hurt's cardboard cut out general.

Eventually the movie falls back on a beauty-tames-the-beast cliche, before setting up for some inevitable sequel's/crossovers or God knows what else. All we get out of the Incredible Hulk is the same muscle flexing brutality and in-your-face power mongering that drives Hollywood summer aesthetics/hegemony.
Last edited by LeFlambeur on Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LeFlambeur
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Peven on Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:21 pm

saw this today with the two youngest sons, 10 and 12 years old. they loved it and had not been interested in seeing it until the latest tv spots/teasers, and despite having almost no hope for this being worthwhile up until very recently myself even i had to give the movie credit for being a pretty good comic book movie, one of the better ones, but among the lesser of the better, if that makes sense. a 7.5 out of 10. my sons would probably give it a 8-9, both saying they liked it as much as "Iron Man", one saying maybe more. they were also intrigued by the whole "getting a team together" thing and after i filled them in some they were very excited about the possibilities. if Marvel can make sure that "Thor" and "Captain America" are done at least this well then they will have really built an impressive stable of franchises that can stand alone or interact in crossovers. boggles the mind

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Maui on Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:50 pm

HULK SMASH!!!

I liked the nods to both Bill Bixby and Lou Ferrigno.

They also have Bruce up in a log cabin in BELLA COOLA, BRITISH COLUMBIA, eh? Anyone else notice that? I sure did! :D

I liked the Betty and Bruce relationship, they really did a great job of capturing the emotion, torment and longing they had for each other. Bana and Connelly were equally as good, perhaps a better "siss boom bah" going on then Tyler and Norton have.

I think the one actor that really stands out for me in this movie is Tim Roth. He was just excellent in this. I enjoyed watching his progression after taking the serum.

The 3 main fights were cool. Bottle plant, grassy field, abomination fight. I think sometimes less is better. Abomination certainly talks more than Hulk does. Hulk just says HULK SMASH, whereas Abomination is reciting Shakespeare in the streets of NYC. The one scene where they both play chicken and run towards each other, when they show them both up in the air, it didn't look so great, it looked like two blobs of playdough stuck together.

I enjoyed this film, I'd give it a 7 out of 10. I just had minor complaints with the CGI, fighting scenes, preciseness. I think Ang Lee captured the fighting better and just didn't do enough of it. I agree with JL, in Ang Lee's version, you really got a feel that Hulk could pick up entire skyscrapers without any effort at all. In this movie, he seems to have to put forth more effort when lifting army trucks.
Maui
WoWie

Re: THE INCREDIBLE HULK (Now w/ Fight Clips!)

Postby Maui on Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:02 pm

buster00 wrote:
John-Locke wrote:...and it set's it up nicely for future instalments so it's got that going for it.

Approve.

And we'd might as well bring back Blonsky, while we're at it.

Right on, definitely a good setup for this character. I loved that scene were the serum oozes into his head wound.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Heyoucantlaughatthat on Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:06 am

Regarding the Stark cameo, you guys are getting excited about nothing. Everyone knows about the annual Stark Industries-United States Army Softball tournament. That's the team they were talking about.
Heyoucantlaughatthat
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Re: THE INCREDIBLE HULK (Now w/ Fight Clips!)

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:47 am

Nachokoolaid wrote:I've been avoiding this thread to avoid spoilers, so if this has been posted, I apologize.

Norton Hulking out on Kimmel.

http://www.joblo.com/video/player.php?video=GMO-HULK

That was pretty funny!

Yeah, Norton isn't supporting this movie AT ALL. :roll:
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby bastard_robo on Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:36 am

Watched this again earlier.. FUCK this movie holds up well.

I took my dad to go see it for fathers day and he went fucking ape shit for this movie. My dad's a HUGE marvel fan from back in the day, and has a huge love for the "CLASSIC" guys, HULK, THOR, IRON MAN and his all time favorite, CAPTAIN AMERICA.. So he completely dug all of the Cap references and loved the Tony Stark Cameo.

But what he loved the most was as he put it "THE HULK was THE HULK in this movie" The rage, the brute force and basically, HULK SMASH! He told me that it blew Ang Lee's Hulk out the water and took a dump on it. He agreed with me over the look and feel of the movie. It didn't "insist" upon itself and it balanced the tortured soul of the TV show with the HERO of the comic.

I will say this, Just seeing Hulk and the Abomination beat the fuck out of each other gets me giddy. That whole fight is PURE COMIC BOOK BLISS.

I'm leaning my liking to this movie to be just as good as IRON MAN.

BTW.. My dad LOVED Iron man, but he said that HULK knocked it out of the park and liked it better than IRON MAN.

Perfect Fathers Day...
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby yorrick brown on Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:10 am

bastard_robo wrote:Watched this again earlier.. FUCK this movie holds up well.

I took my dad to go see it for fathers day and he went fucking ape shit for this movie. My dad's a HUGE marvel fan from back in the day, and has a huge love for the "CLASSIC" guys, HULK, THOR, IRON MAN and his all time favorite, CAPTAIN AMERICA.. So he completely dug all of the Cap references and loved the Tony Stark Cameo.

But what he loved the most was as he put it "THE HULK was THE HULK in this movie" The rage, the brute force and basically, HULK SMASH! He told me that it blew Ang Lee's Hulk out the water and took a dump on it. He agreed with me over the look and feel of the movie. It didn't "insist" upon itself and it balanced the tortured soul of the TV show with the HERO of the comic.

I will say this, Just seeing Hulk and the Abomination beat the fuck out of each other gets me giddy. That whole fight is PURE COMIC BOOK BLISS.

I'm leaning my liking to this movie to be just as good as IRON MAN.

BTW.. My dad LOVED Iron man, but he said that HULK knocked it out of the park and liked it better than IRON MAN.

Perfect Fathers Day...

aww,thats nice :) .
Should I call you Bullet? Tooth?
You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
yorrick brown
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby havocSchultz on Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:53 am

Maui wrote:HULK SMASH!!!

I liked the nods to both Bill Bixby and Lou Ferrigno.

They also have Bruce up in a log cabin in BELLA COOLA, BRITISH COLUMBIA, eh? Anyone else notice that? I sure did! :D

I liked the Betty and Bruce relationship, they really did a great job of capturing the emotion, torment and longing they had for each other. Bana and Connelly were equally as good, perhaps a better "siss boom bah" going on then Tyler and Norton have.

I think the one actor that really stands out for me in this movie is Tim Roth. He was just excellent in this. I enjoyed watching his progression after taking the serum.

The 3 main fights were cool. Bottle plant, grassy field, abomination fight. I think sometimes less is better. Abomination certainly talks more than Hulk does. Hulk just says HULK SMASH, whereas Abomination is reciting Shakespeare in the streets of NYC. The one scene where they both play chicken and run towards each other, when they show them both up in the air, it didn't look so great, it looked like two blobs of playdough stuck together.

I enjoyed this film, I'd give it a 7 out of 10. I just had minor complaints with the CGI, fighting scenes, preciseness. I think Ang Lee captured the fighting better and just didn't do enough of it. I agree with JL, in Ang Lee's version, you really got a feel that Hulk could pick up entire skyscrapers without any effort at all. In this movie, he seems to have to put forth more effort when lifting army trucks.

But of course...

Also, the big final fight was filmed mostly on Yonge Street in T.Dot...

It was nice to see the ZANZIBAR sign shining brightly in the background when the two monsters charge each other...
Zanzibar, home of over-priced beer, and under-priced lap dances...
It's also the place I heard a stripper complain that nobody wanted to see her cooch...

I could see why...

Z-BAR FTW!!!
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Maui on Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:59 am

Oh cool, didn't realize that bit was on Yonge Street. That final fight scene was cool. I love when they show Abomination starting to run, slowly, then he picks up the pace. Just very cool. I still think they looked like 2 blobs when they actually hit each other in the air, but the pre blob stuff was super cool.

It's really funny for the tiny town of Bella Coola. It's such a little spot on the map, most people have never even heard of it. That's changed now.

So at the very end, he's not dead, he's still breathing, slowly I might add after Hulk clobbers him. I'm not that familiar with the Hulk comic/story, but I just assumed that the government would seal him up in some super dooper cell and hold him??? Under surveillance kinda deal, after all they created the monster. Does Abomination reappear in the Hulk saga?
Maui
WoWie

Postby judderman on Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:53 pm

On the whole, I liked it. The Hulk was far scarier in this film than he was in Ang Lee's ponderous version, which was good, and Ed Norton, an actor who seems determined to miscast himself in every conceivable genre, at least played Bruce with the conviction missing in Bana's anaemic performance. TIm Roth is always fun to watch, but his story arc was pretty flat. Get beat up, get some serum. Get beat up again. Get more serum. Finally turn into Doomsday and beat up Hulk, while, for no discernible reason, also deigning to wipe out half of New York. WIlliam Hurt did what he was asked to do, though I have to wonder why they didn't just cast Donald Sutherland, given that Hurt's performance consisted largely of aping Donald's trademark blade-voiced villain.This movie felt like it had been sent back one too many times to the cutting room. The menage a trois subplot involving that shrink was dropped without explanation. I kept hoping to see a payoff with a gamma-charged Stan Lee, but that never came.

But... credit where credit's due; this movie is well paced, well shot and well acted, three things I don't expect in action movies these days. Norton, thankfully, didn't try to high-tone the script and kept it what it had to be; a comic book movie. The Hulk looked far more realistic than he did in Lee's version, though perhaps we're still years away from a truly lifelike Hulk. Finally I'd like to say kudos from this onetime carioca for setting the film's first twenty minutes in Rocinha, a place that doesn't get a lot of coverage in Hollywood.
judderman
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Maui on Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:04 pm

judderman wrote:Finally I'd like to say kudos from this onetime carioca for setting the film's first twenty minutes in Rocinha, a place that doesn't get a lot of coverage in Hollywood.

Yup, I enjoyed that portion of the film as well.

However I found at the very beginning of the film - they used incredibly quick paced filming over the cluttered houses on the hills (ariel shots)- I found this hard on the eyes.
Maui
WoWie

Postby bluebottle on Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:11 pm

Maui wrote:
judderman wrote:Finally I'd like to say kudos from this onetime carioca for setting the film's first twenty minutes in Rocinha, a place that doesn't get a lot of coverage in Hollywood.

However I found at the very beginning of the film - they used incredibly quick paced filming over the cluttered houses on the hills (ariel shots)- I found this hard on the eyes.

i found it hard on the stomach... i was way too close to the screen for those opening shots of the houses.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:19 pm

bluebottle wrote:
Maui wrote:

i found it hard on the stomach... i was way too close to the screen for those opening shots of the houses.

Actually it was more my stomach too. I will admit that since you did first ;)

It really made me queezy those beginning shots.
Maui
WoWie

Postby bluebottle on Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:05 pm

i loved the movie... and i actually loved the ang lee hulk. this works as a companion piece for me...

too all the canadian's who noted the shots of the zanzibar: what struck me as more interesting was that directly across the street from the apollo theatre was a swiss chalet.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DaleTremont on Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:30 pm

Interesting what happens when you have two completely different creative temperments butt heads. On the one hand you have Edward Norton- Yalie alum, uses words like "zeitgeist" in interviews, comandeers control of movies he acts in because he fancies himself a real brainiac. On the other hand you have Leterrier- Luc Besson protege, director of Transporter 2 and that Jet Li movie about a dog...or something. Sometimes opposites are supposed to compliment each other, fill in the blanks, turn out something well balanced and better than the sum of its parts. Well, here...I don't know. I liked it but instead of creating a super awesome intelligent action movie it was kind of like...the action was dragged down by this grim undertone (Banner moping about his condition) but then all the heavy character stuff never really quite got there either because it was still a popcorn flick. Plus, the fact that Bruce was wearing one of those heart monitor things the whole time...I mean he didn't have to work that hard to show he was getting angry because all we had to do was listen to the intervals between beeps. Sure, Ed could look pretty panicked and good on him for that, but it didn't really matter because the beeps told me all I needed to know.

So overall I give it a 6.5/10. It still had its moments. The fight at the university was pretty sick. When hyperactive Tim Roth was going head to head with Hulk...that was the part that got me excited. Especially when Hulk just kicked the fucker into that tree. But then later on when Tim Roth became Abomination...I don't know. I swear, maybe it's like a guy mentality where they think bigger equals better so every climactic fight scene they turn the volume up to 11...inevitably it loses me in the ruckus. Okay yes I realize the point of Hulk is like "Hulk Smash!" or whatever, but it still gets boring.

Frankly I wasn't crazy about Ed Norton in this either. He was passable, but I just feel like he's lost that hunger. There are some young actors that come along and you can just feel that hunger in their earlier roles. He was like that in American History X and Fight Club. Kinetic, if you will. He's even turned in interesting performances in more recent outings like Down in the Valley. But here, for every bit he gave, he also had another bit where he seemed a little bored. For all my issues with Iron Man, Robert Downey still owned that movie. Ed Norton just showed up in this one.

Also, Liv Tyler. Okay she was passable too. She just bothers me generally. She's so...breathy. But not sexy breathy like Marilyn Monroe. Annoying breathy like...well, like Liv Tyler. And she talks out of Steven Tyler's lips...which is disturbing. And she looks like an elf. Which worked in her favor in Lord of the Rings but doesn't do as much for her here.

So yeah. It never really had me in its firm green grasp. There were times when I felt myself slipping in and out, a casual observer of this strange veiny green guy tearing shit up. As far as superhero movies go, let's just say I'm still holding out for The Dark Knight.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Brocktune on Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:42 pm

did anyone else mistake tim roth for william hickey when he had his shirt off? :?

and now i am super pumped to see the general thunderbolt ross cameo following the credits of Hellboy 2!!!!!
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:23 pm

Interesting what Dale says about Norton. I do believe there was a reason why I didn't include him in my writeup. He was ok, nothing special. The actors that really shone in this movie, imo, were the 2 Tims: Tim Roth and Tim Blake Nelson.

Just a side note, could they please teach these guys to run macho like. Dang. :?

Watching Norton run was just silly. Feet flailing all over the place. Same with RDJ in Iron Man, goofy running technique. Sorry but I notice these things. They need to run like Statham or Craig. These guys know how to run properly not like pansies.
Maui
WoWie

Postby buster00 on Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:47 pm

Maui wrote:...I just assumed that the government would seal him up in some super dooper cell and hold him??? Under surveillance kinda deal, after all they created the monster. Does Abomination reappear in the Hulk saga?

Yes, and yes.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:02 pm

Maui wrote:
Just a side note, could they please teach these guys to run macho like. Dang. :?

Watching Norton run was just silly. Feet flailing all over the place. Same with RDJ in Iron Man, goofy running technique. Sorry but I notice these things. They need to run like Statham or Craig. These guys know how to run properly not like pansies.

I hear that, Maui. Tom Cruise is the absolute worst offender for stupid running though, he looks like he's constipated.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby bluebottle on Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:04 pm

when harrison ford runs, it's like his hands are connected to his chest, and his arms disappear...

i'd agree about norton, although to be fair (and i mentioned i liked the ang lee version) i thought he was better than bana.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:08 pm

bluebottle wrote:i'd agree about norton, although to be fair (and i mentioned i liked the ang lee version) i thought he was better than bana.

I can't recall how Bana ran? ;)

I don't want to turn this into a "Actors who Run like Pansies" thread - but another one is Pierce Brosnan. Anyone recall how lame he ran in the Bond films. He looked like a duck and NO, that's not why I didn't like him as Bond.

Ok, ramble over.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Maui on Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:10 pm

TonyWilson wrote:
Maui wrote:

Tom Cruise is the absolute worst offender for stupid running though, he looks like he's constipated.

Probably has something to do with his acting too. So forced. Wuhuh!
Maui
WoWie

Postby Maui on Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:12 pm

buster00 wrote:
Maui wrote:...I just assumed that the government would seal him up in some super dooper cell and hold him??? Under surveillance kinda deal, after all they created the monster. Does Abomination reappear in the Hulk saga?

Yes, and yes.

Thanks Buster! I appreciate the reply since everyone else ignored me - lol. :)
Maui
WoWie

Postby DanielSan on Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:15 pm

Maui wrote:Just a side note, could they please teach these guys to run macho like. Dang. :?

I remember thinking when I saw the Godzilla remake that the scariest, most disturbing part about that movie was watching Matthew Broderick run.

My fiance and I both enjoyed The Incredible Hulk quite a bit. We would've liked it more had we not seen Iron Man and been blown away by that flick.

LOVED "Hulk SMASH!"
DanielSan
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Maui on Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:18 pm

DanielSan wrote:I remember thinking when I saw the Godzilla remake that the scariest, most disturbing part about that movie was watching Matthew Broderick run.

My fiance and I both enjoyed The Incredible Hulk quite a bit. We would've liked it more had we not seen Iron Man and been blown away by that flick.

LOVED "Hulk SMASH!"

He runs rather funny in "Election" too.

Look at the #'s for Iron Man's 1st weekend vs Hulk's first weekend, says it all really. I don't think you can say one film had a superior marketing effort over the other.
Maui
WoWie

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:38 pm

TIH was competing with the stench of Lee's film and IM was competing with whatever else opened that week (nothing). No one was expecting it to do IM numbers.

I disagree about Norton's performance. Bana seemed bored and uncharismatic throughout Lee's film, whereas Norton brought some welcome bits of wit and pathos to the new flick. The movie moved too quickly into the third act, so we didn't really get to spend time with him before he made the decision to use Hulk on purpose (in effect, accepting his darker nature finally), but that's more of a problem with the structure of the story and not Norton's performance. I'd be happy to see Norton return (though I think it's unlikely), whereas I loathed a repeat Bana performance.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Heyoucantlaughatthat on Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:31 pm

I don't know if anyone has mentioned the purple pants bit, but that really made me laugh.

I understand where Tremont is coming from when he talks about Norton, some parts seemed un-energetic. I think Liv Tyler's performance was better than his. Plus she's sexy.
Heyoucantlaughatthat
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby yorrick brown on Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:49 am

Bruce: "You know, I could show you some techniques to manage that rage a little better..."
Betty: "Don't start!"
yorrick brown
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:22 am

Saw this tonight and thought it was pretty good. Though I'd really like to see the shit they cut out and whatnot since Ty Burell drops right out of existence and there's probably some stuff to lend a little more weight to Banner's decision to use Hulk to fuck up General Thade.

I liked the business with the WW2 super-soldier serum. I don't read the comic books but I'm savvy enough to pick up on Captain America references.

And I was surprised at how much I liked Liv Tyler in this. I thought she was sexier than Jennifer Connelly (she's got the boobs going for her but not much else, in my opinion [and don't give me any shit about her being a better actress because she won some award for that piece of shit Ron Howard movie]) and her performance was better too, even though she looks like she's pouting most of the time and she asks Hulk if he's Bruce a lot, as if he'd be anybody else. Anyway, I thought that scene where Hulk protects her from lightning was sweet and also wasn't that pretty cool when he shielded her from the bullets and then that massive fucking explosion? Way to go, Hulk.

I thought William Hurt was solid. His mustache was nowhere near as powerful or commanding as Sam Elliot's in HULK, CAUTION and he came off looking like a pretty big dick whereas Elliot's Ross at least seemed to give a shit about his daughter. But let's just say that since Banner's been on the run for five years that this is indeed somehow a sequel to the 2003 film so maybe their relationship really went to hell in the interim. Also, Hurt sounded a lot like Bill Pullman in this movie which I thought was cool and maybe in the next reboot Pullman can play Ross, Camille Belle can play Betty and I guess Wes Bentley or somebody could play Banner.

Holy shit! sidenote: Holy shit! They're actually filming DOLAN'S CADILLAC and Wes Bentley is playing Robinson the vengeful school teacher? And Christian Slater is Dolan? Call Heaven and book me a reservation because my time on this Earth is at an end.

I guess I should say that I kinda do consider this a sequel, but it's a sequel to an alternate reality version of HULK '03 or possibly the third film in a trilogy. The second being the aforementioned Bently/Pullman/Belle version. Uh, but this one has been retconned so Betty hasn't seen Bruce in five years even though in the fictional second film (which opened in 2005 opposite BATMAN BEGINS and was pummeled at the B.O.) Bruce crashed her wedding as the Hulk and even smashed the cake. Pretty embarrassing shit. I can see why they rebooted the franchise.

There's another actor in this film and his name is Tim Roth. I thought he was able to do a lot with not much to work with. I've heard complaints that his desire to get Hulked the fuck up wasn't a strong enough like catalyst or some other smart word to make him the Abomination, like how in IRON MAN Jeff Bridges just wanted to run the company or whatever. I think character-wise this is handled better in THE INCREDIBLE HULK (though Bridges pulled his shit off with his acting and stuff). In fact, Blonsky's motivation is pretty much explained in that one scene where Ross says, "What are you, forty-five?" and Blonsky says that he's thirty-nine. So this guy is kind of over-the-hill and pissed about it, so I can see his desire to be younger, faster, stronger, etc. Also I've seen movies before and when a guy starts injecting serums and shit he develops a taste for it and it becomes an addiction, so I'm not surprised that Blonsky wants more power. It's like Wes Bentley said in THE COVENANT. "I want your power." I think he was in THE COVENANT anyway. Either way he said pretty much the same shit in GHOST RIDER which was kinda like THE COVENANT meets GHOST RIDER meets Wes Bentley.

So I'm gonna say that I enjoyed this movie. Not quite as much as IRON MAN because that movie was a lot more fun with the Robert Downey Jr. and so on and it got me pretty pumped. But THE INCREDIBLE HULK is a respectable picture and I'm sure there's some great shit on the cutting room floor that we'll all get to see on the DVD and maybe that'll kick it up a couple notches. Mostly I thought it was more fun than Ang Lee's HULK, the actors seemed more into it (not that Nick Nolte wasn't), and there wasn't any of that bullshit with the "24" style multiple camera angles that took me out of the story.

So good job, guy who directed TRANSPORTER 2. And Ed Norton for appearing in this film. I was afraid they'd bring back Bentley and I don't think it would've worked to be honest. So I look forward to any future installments, hopefully titled something like THE INDUBITABLE HULK, THE INCONSOLABLE HULK or something like that.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:42 am

"in my opinion," "or whatever," "etc."

I think I need to stop reading Vern for a while. This is getting ridiculous.
caruso_stalker217

Postby bastard_robo on Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:50 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:Saw this tonight and thought it was pretty good. Though I'd really like to see the shit they cut out and whatnot since Ty Burell drops right out of existence and there's probably some stuff to lend a little more weight to Banner's decision to use Hulk to fuck up General Thade.

I liked the business with the WW2 super-soldier serum. I don't read the comic books but I'm savvy enough to pick up on Captain America references.

And I was surprised at how much I liked Liv Tyler in this. I thought she was sexier than Jennifer Connelly (she's got the boobs going for her but not much else, in my opinion [and don't give me any shit about her being a better actress because she won some award for that piece of shit Ron Howard movie]) and her performance was better too, even though she looks like she's pouting most of the time and she asks Hulk if he's Bruce a lot, as if he'd be anybody else. Anyway, I thought that scene where Hulk protects her from lightning was sweet and also wasn't that pretty cool when he shielded her from the bullets and then that massive fucking explosion? Way to go, Hulk.

I thought William Hurt was solid. His mustache was nowhere near as powerful or commanding as Sam Elliot's in HULK, CAUTION and he came off looking like a pretty big dick whereas Elliot's Ross at least seemed to give a shit about his daughter. But let's just say that since Banner's been on the run for five years that this is indeed somehow a sequel to the 2003 film so maybe their relationship really went to hell in the interim. Also, Hurt sounded a lot like Bill Pullman in this movie which I thought was cool and maybe in the next reboot Pullman can play Ross, Camille Belle can play Betty and I guess Wes Bentley or somebody could play Banner.

Holy shit! sidenote: Holy shit! They're actually filming DOLAN'S CADILLAC and Wes Bentley is playing Robinson the vengeful school teacher? And Christian Slater is Dolan? Call Heaven and book me a reservation because my time on this Earth is at an end.

I guess I should say that I kinda do consider this a sequel, but it's a sequel to an alternate reality version of HULK '03 or possibly the third film in a trilogy. The second being the aforementioned Bently/Pullman/Belle version. Uh, but this one has been retconned so Betty hasn't seen Bruce in five years even though in the fictional second film (which opened in 2005 opposite BATMAN BEGINS and was pummeled at the B.O.) Bruce crashed her wedding as the Hulk and even smashed the cake. Pretty embarrassing shit. I can see why they rebooted the franchise.

There's another actor in this film and his name is Tim Roth. I thought he was able to do a lot with not much to work with. I've heard complaints that his desire to get Hulked the fuck up wasn't a strong enough like catalyst or some other smart word to make him the Abomination, like how in IRON MAN Jeff Bridges just wanted to run the company or whatever. I think character-wise this is handled better in THE INCREDIBLE HULK (though Bridges pulled his shit off with his acting and stuff). In fact, Blonsky's motivation is pretty much explained in that one scene where Ross says, "What are you, forty-five?" and Blonsky says that he's thirty-nine. So this guy is kind of over-the-hill and pissed about it, so I can see his desire to be younger, faster, stronger, etc. Also I've seen movies before and when a guy starts injecting serums and shit he develops a taste for it and it becomes an addiction, so I'm not surprised that Blonsky wants more power. It's like Wes Bentley said in THE COVENANT. "I want your power." I think he was in THE COVENANT anyway. Either way he said pretty much the same shit in GHOST RIDER which was kinda like THE COVENANT meets GHOST RIDER meets Wes Bentley.

So I'm gonna say that I enjoyed this movie. Not quite as much as IRON MAN because that movie was a lot more fun with the Robert Downey Jr. and so on and it got me pretty pumped. But THE INCREDIBLE HULK is a respectable picture and I'm sure there's some great shit on the cutting room floor that we'll all get to see on the DVD and maybe that'll kick it up a couple notches. Mostly I thought it was more fun than Ang Lee's HULK, the actors seemed more into it (not that Nick Nolte wasn't), and there wasn't any of that bullshit with the "24" style multiple camera angles that took me out of the story.

So good job, guy who directed TRANSPORTER 2. And Ed Norton for appearing in this film. I was afraid they'd bring back Bentley and I don't think it would've worked to be honest. So I look forward to any future installments, hopefully titled something like THE INDUBITABLE HULK, THE INCONSOLABLE HULK or something like that.

THANKS FOR THE LOVE LETTER TO WES BENTLEY!

He misses you too!
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby WinslowLeach on Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:08 am

yorrick brown wrote:Bruce: "You know, I could show you some techniques to manage that rage a little better..."
Betty: "Don't start!"

That part made me laugh. Betty went OFF. It was out of the blue too. Shes all quiet and peaceful for the entire movie then shes like "ARRRRRRRH!!! SONOVABITCH!!" :lol:

Maui wrote:
bluebottle wrote:i'd agree about norton, although to be fair (and i mentioned i liked the ang lee version) i thought he was better than bana.

I don't want to turn this into a "Actors who Run like Pansies" thread - but another one is Pierce Brosnan. Anyone recall how lame he ran in the Bond films. He looked like a duck and NO, that's not why I didn't like him as Bond.

Ok, ramble over.

Steven Seagal anyone? :lol:
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:24 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:Saw this tonight and thought it was pretty good. Though I'd really like to see the shit they cut out and whatnot since Ty Burell drops right out of existence and there's probably some stuff to lend a little more weight to Banner's decision to use Hulk to fuck up General Thade.

We saw some of it in the trailers.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Heyoucantlaughatthat on Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:27 am

When General Ross went into that giant freezer that had all of those military secrets (Where he got the super soldier formula), I was hoping they would put emphasis on some human sized metallic coffin, maybe have Blonsky question Ross about it. I heard that maybe there was some more Captain America references in the official Norton-Leterrier version that's 50 minutes longer, so they had better put that on the DVD.
Heyoucantlaughatthat
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby WinslowLeach on Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:39 am

Someone said that Tony Stark had Caps shield hanging in his house in Iron Man. I missed that. Did anyone ever see it?
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:46 am

WinslowLeach wrote:Someone said that Tony Stark had Caps shield hanging in his house in Iron Man. I missed that. Did anyone ever see it?

It's a blink-and-you'll miss it thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrQadk2JpWI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6Mmy49n_xE
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby WinslowLeach on Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:05 pm

Thanks for the vids Fried! I wasnt sure if it was a myth or what.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:44 pm

WinslowLeach wrote:
Maui wrote:

Ok, ramble over.

Steven Seagal anyone? :lol:

I'd say Seagal runs more like somebody who doesn't have any bones. At least he did back in the day when he could run.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Maui on Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:25 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:In fact, Blonsky's motivation is pretty much explained in that one scene where Ross says, "What are you, forty-five?" and Blonsky says that he's thirty-nine. So this guy is kind of over-the-hill and pissed about it, so I can see his desire to be younger, faster, stronger, etc.

Bingo! My take exactly.
Maui
WoWie

Postby yorrick brown on Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:00 pm

i hope this makes money ,i really want another.

monday
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/
yorrick brown
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Re: L'INCROYABLE HULK!

Postby so sorry on Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:04 am

Got a rare night out at the movies by myself last night and checked out the Hulk.

I loved it, which is a bit surprising to me.. I was half-expecting to genuinely dislike it (Norton's not my fav, absolutely despise Ang Lee's version, Liv Tyler?), but I went anyway thanks to the good vibe I was getting here in the Zone.

Good plot, good setup, good acting (shit, I even liked Liv), good action.

A solid 8/10 from me.

(Totally sexist side note: I gotta say that I'm digging Liv's look these days. She's put on some weight, which is to say she's not Hollywood thin anymore, and she looks more attractive to me then she ever has)
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby magicmonkey on Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:13 am

so sorry wrote:Got a rare night out at the movies by myself last night and checked out the Hulk.

I loved it, which is a bit surprising to me.. I was half-expecting to genuinely dislike it (Norton's not my fav, absolutely despise Ang Lee's version, Liv Tyler?), but I went anyway thanks to the good vibe I was getting here in the Zone.

Good plot, good setup, good acting (shit, I even liked Liv), good action.

A solid 8/10 from me.

(Totally sexist side note: I gotta say that I'm digging Liv's look these days. She's put on some weight, which is to say she's not Hollywood thin anymore, and she looks more attractive to me then she ever has)

Mmmmm.... Pudgy Liv... I kind of had my hopes dashed slightly with this movie when I read a one star review in The Guardian, but aintitcool love is still kinda stringing me on with it.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby so sorry on Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:21 am

magicmonkey wrote:
Mmmmm.... Pudgy Liv... I kind of had my hopes dashed slightly with this movie when I read a one star review in The Guardian, but aintitcool love is still kinda stringing me on with it.

ONE star??? Well shit, I can understand someone not liking it at all, but 1 fucking star is rediculous.

And I wouldn't go as far to say "pudgy"... but she does now have some cushion for the pushin'.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby WinslowLeach on Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:30 am

I liked Liv just like she was. She wasnt pudgy to me. Just the way women should be, natural.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:21 pm

WinslowLeach wrote:I liked Liv just like she was. She wasnt pudgy to me. Just the way women should be, natural.

that's what I was getting at... :)
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby John-Locke on Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:26 pm

What the fuck is incroyable meant to mean? Online dictionary has it meaning a french fop or dandy.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby DaleTremont on Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:30 pm

John-Locke wrote:What the fuck is incroyable meant to mean? Online dictionary has it meaning a french fop or dandy.

haha

It means incredible.

Your online dictionary is a hack :wink:
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion