Hellboy II: The Golden Army

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: Hellboy II: The Golden Army (Now w/ Review Thread Cred!)

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:17 pm

MacCready wrote:Far more heart to it than Wall-E, which is getting praised for its heart-content.

Complete BS. Iron Giant is great but it's not so head and shoulders above Wall-e, not even close.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:37 pm

Maui wrote:Great movie. I really enjoyed this. Visually stunning, good story, many laughs. Better than HB1.

I thought the beginning part was clever with the story telling of the Golden Army. I loved that animation sequence.

Agreed on all counts, except instead of "great" i'd probalby say "really fun"

It certainly kept me entertained. del Toro has an amazing eye for the bizarre. The Angel of Death, in particular, was simultaneously beautiful and horrifying...definitely the closest to the imagery we saw in Pan's which I loved.

Perlman is, as always, really entertaining and Blair is a fox. I wasn't that into her back in the day but she has certainly grown on me over the years...

It's funny as hell in spots, and the fight scenes are neat. del Toro does a nice job of taking a fantastical world and making it feel substantive...which bodes well for The Hobbit, I think.

It never really blew me away in any way, except for maybe some of the imagery. There's nothing amazing about it, it's just a fun flick and definitely worthy of seeing in the theater.

7/10
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Nachokoolaid on Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:23 pm

Here's what I posted in my Movie Journal.

Nachokoolaid wrote:Hellboy 2: The Golden Army - (9/10) Awesome. The characters were spot on (although jarring to hear a different, less fitting voice for Abe) and the effects and action were great. The first summer movie that exceeded my expectations, and my favorite movie of 2008 so far. Awesome.

Special shout out to the opening animation sequence over John Hurt's story to young Hellboy. The creature effects were some of the best, if not the best ever put on film. Wink was absolutely amazing. The action was solid in every scene. I found myself not being able to catch every detail. This is definately one of those you need to see more than once to appreciate it all. The elemental scene was great one a lot of levels. The troll market was breathtaking, especially the tumor. As a Seth Macfarlane fan, I was very pleased to see he was one of the stronger parts of the film. I liked pretty much everything about this. And of course, Pearlman was awesome. The only things I can even find to pick at was I thought Blair faltered every once in a while, young Hellboy's ADR was a bit off, and it was a bad move changing Abe's voice work to Doug Jones. I thought the voice work by David Hyde Pierce was much stronger in the first film.

Oh, and the beer drinking scene made me laugh more than any scene in a film this year, mainly because it was so unexpected and the comic timing was great.

You owe it to yourself as a geek to see this if you haven't.

And where's the damn poll?
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby The Ginger Man on Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:43 pm

Meh, was not entertained by this. The first 30 minutes felt like I was watching 2 different movies. We had the stark, serious tale of the Elves. Then we had the silly, comedic world of Hellboy. These two tones started to come together during the Elemental Fight, when Nuada pointed out the elemental was the last of his kind...and I really started to get pulled into the movie at this point....but then Hellboy and the BPRD fall right back into silly land and I stopped caring.

It's not that the Hellboy stuff wasn't funny. Hellboy and Abe drunkenly singing love songs....Hellboy versus a gym locker...these were laugh out loud hilarious for me. But I never felt invested in the story b/c I never honestly considered Hellboy a threat to Prince Nuada's plan. And that's b/c Hellboy, Abe, Krauss, and the rest of the BPRD were just a bunch of goofballs. Not to mention that the acting on the good guy's side was generally quite poor. Jeffery Tambor and Selma Blair could barely be bothered to emote. And Seth MacFarlane was Seth MacFarlane, which just kept pulling me out of the movie.

The saddest part for me were the creatures. Well, first let me say I loved the designs of King Balor and the Goblin King. But other than that, I wasn't wow'd. Young Hellboy and Shirtless Hellboy just look weird. The Angel of Death reminded me of the Pale Man from Pan's Labrynth. The Tooth Fairies reminded me of something, but I still can't pin it. And the Troll Market just made me think of Men In Black. Though again, I laughed at "I'm not a kid. I'm a tumor."

In the end, though, I just don't buy into Hellboy, Abe, or Liz. Liz is one-note: Be upset until Act 3. Abe's inability to emote at all just kills it for me. And the extent of Hellboy's personality is all leftovers from the first film: he wants to be accepted and he likes cats. The Elemental Fight and Hellboy's reaction to it are great, really made me think the movie was going somewhere, but then they vanish so we can watch more slapstick. If GDT hadn't more thouroughly tackled the same theme in Blade II, I might have been more forgiving to what I feel was "hit-n-run" thematics.

Style over substance, all the way. Typical summer movie.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby Nachokoolaid on Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:36 pm

God dammit. I hate it when I disagree with someone so much that I just feel like hitting something.

* No hate, just debate. No hate, just debate...*

Seriously, did we watch the same movie? AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

Sure, hate on young Hellboy, because that was a little weak, but the creature work in this film may be the best ever filmed, and you don't buy it? WTF!!!!

Maybe you just need to give it some time and see it again fresh because you were cranky or something, because some of this hate seems unwarranted.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Heyoucantlaughatthat on Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:12 pm

I didn't really like Lil' Hellboy either, but the fairy tale animation was superb. All of the character design was very inspired. I liked the Chamberlain's and Death Angel designs in particular.

I watched the first HB last night on TV as a refresher, and I definitely thought #2 was better, but it's a shame they couldn't bring back Agent Myers. I heard the actor got cast cast in some play so they had to write him out. Maybe he'll be back for HB 3 to help raise the hellbabies.

The fight between Johann Krauss and Big Red was the funniest part, I even have to put it above drunken Abe Sapien.

"I'm not a baby, I'm a tumor."

That was creepy...
Heyoucantlaughatthat
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby LeFlambeur on Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:21 pm

I would like to throw in a hearty second to The Ginger Man's review, my reaction watching this movie was almost exactly the same. Too often this felt like two different movies that rarely came together in any meaningfull sense. Given his currently lauded place in movie culture, and given the level of thematic richness he was able to bring to the ghost movie and the fantasy film in more ambitious previous efforts (the Devil's Backbone and Pan's Labyrinth) I don't think its unreasonable to expect him to bring something more to the summer comic-book blockbuster than some good production design and exposition. This felt all too standard. Myself having only a passing familiarity with the comic, I'm sure though that fans of the series had more reason to love this than I did.
LeFlambeur
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:32 pm

LeFlambeur wrote:Myself having only a passing familiarity with the comic, I'm sure though that fans of the series had more reason to love this than I did.

You would be way off considering the films are pretty much nothing like the comics.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:35 pm

That's the thing with the Hellboy movies though...it has teh funny side to it as well. I remembered the first Hellboy movie. It's has the slapstick. I honestly was hoping that HB2 would have the silliness that the first movie brought to the screen, along with the badassness. It is an odd mix, but it just seems to work.

I overlook some minor things simply because it is a summer movie, my expectations are just not as high. I just expect to be wowed and dazzled with effects and action, with a somewhat reasonable story. With HB2 it was the complete package. Blair didn't emote that much, but this is Hellboy, not "The Queen". ;)
The movie does jump around a bit with Hellboy feeling like an outsider, 'ugly' - then jumps back into let's get that 3rd piece to the crown, but it's really not that disjointed (see "Hancock").

It is ok for us all to disagree on this you know.
Maui
WoWie

Postby The Ginger Man on Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:04 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:Sure, hate on young Hellboy, because that was a little weak, but the creature work in this film may be the best ever filmed, and you don't buy it? WTF!!!!

Maybe you just need to give it some time and see it again fresh because you were cranky or something, because some of this hate seems unwarranted.

Again, I loved the Elven and Goblin Kings. But there was nothing particularly original in Troll Market or the rest of the film. And I didn't hate the film. I thought it was kinda sloppy. I thought it was flash over story...that the resolution was broadcast right off the bat. And I thought the voice acting didn't carry the characters well enough. The movie just didn't gel. It was a bunch of different things, all done pretty well I will admit, that just didnt come together into a cohesive experience.

And I agree with Kaga. Nothing like the comic.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby LeFlambeur on Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:11 am

To clarify, I simply meant that readers of the comic probably had some larger investment in these characters than I did. I could still be wrong though.
LeFlambeur
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby The Ginger Man on Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:21 am

I've never read the comic on a regular basis. But I have read enough issues to know that it's different.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:59 pm

Maybe my love for it come from the fact that I haven't read one word of the comic, so I don't know if it's different or the same, or whatever. But I know I had a damn good time. Thouroughly entertained.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Vegeta on Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:34 pm

Caught Hellboy II: The Golden Army this afternoon. A quite enjoyable film. I like it about as much as the first Hellboy, but for different reasons. Obviously the creature work in Helloboy II was beyond amazing. The story was quite interesting as well, even if I felt the Abe love story felt a bit more forced (to forward the plot) than genuine. I know a lot of folks also thought the whole drunk Abe and Hellboy part was a highlight, but it didn't work that well for me. Regardless, the film as a whole did, so I won't gripe any further about it. The moral ambiguity regarding the whole Prince Nubia storyline also kept things interesting throughout. I personally never read the comic so I don't know about how the characters normally are or if they do quit the BPRD. Regarding that spoiler, I just felt the end was very odd.

Vegeta gives Hellboy II: The Golden Army Four out of Five punches:
ImageImageImageImage
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:07 pm

Vegeta wrote:I personally never read the comic so I don't know about how the characters normally are or if they do quit the BPRD. Regarding that spoiler, I just felt the end was very odd.

I'm with you there, Veg. It felt kinda out of the blue and somehow forced to me.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Maui on Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:50 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
Vegeta wrote:I personally never read the comic so I don't know about how the characters normally are or if they do quit the BPRD. Regarding that spoiler, I just felt the end was very odd.

I'm with you there, Veg. It felt kinda out of the blue and somehow forced to me.

Me three! I found it an odd twist at the end as well.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:23 pm

Did anyone else love that last shot? Maybe I'm a sucker for freeze frames.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby bastard_robo on Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:02 pm

Maui wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:

Me three! I found it an odd twist at the end as well.

That is partially true to the book. Hellboy quite the BRPD to kinda find himself in the comics, but ABE, LIZ and KRAUS stayed on in the books..
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Peven on Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:19 pm

am i the only one who caught the quasi-"Kindergarten Cop" joke reference? troll market,"i'm not a baby, i'm a tumor" see, that cost a whole half a point for me right there......

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Maui on Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:37 pm

I don't know that kinda reminded me of Richard E. Grant's boil in "How to Get Ahead in Advertising".
Maui
WoWie

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:07 am

I'm sorry to say that I'm on The Ginger Man's side of the aisle regarding Hellboy 2. On technical merits the film is one hell of an achievement, but I couldn't find any heart under all the graphical wizardry. Things got off to a bad start with the poor dubbing on the wee Hellboy. Took me right out of the movie. I didn't buy the two(!) romance angles one bit. Liz and Big Red seem to be in the exact same place they were at the end of the first picture and Abe was in the princess' company for all of what, 12 hours?, before he was ready to essentially sacrifice the world to save her? I wasn't convinced. Save for Red and Abe singing their hearts out to Barry Manilow I thought the comedy elements fell flat, particularly the locker bit. The two or three poppy seed-sized references to Hellboy and his lineage, his name, and his role at the world's end are probably what the third film, if there is one, will be based around. They might have wanted to make a bigger mention of them. It also didn't help that not for one second did I think anyone was in any real danger. I was really looking forward to this movie and really hate to say that I was disappointed by it. When I saw the trailers I wondered aloud if del Toro self-induces fever dreams. Too bad those dreams were hung on a weak narrative with men in suits to hold things together until the next set piece.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:31 am

Everytime someone dislikes Hellboy 2, that bridge-troll lady eats a kitten. C'mon folks. Save a kitten.

Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:33 am

That is just the cutest damn kitten.

It MUST be eaten.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Ginger Man on Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:18 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:Everytime someone dislikes Hellboy 2, that bridge-troll lady eats a kitten. C'mon folks. Save a kitten.

Hey. Bridge-Troll Lady gotta eat.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby The Vicar on Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:48 pm

I gots some savory BBQ sauce ready and waiting.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Maui on Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:13 pm

Time, is on my side, yes it is...........
Time, time, time, is on my sideeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.............
Maui
WoWie

Postby papalazeru on Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:18 pm

you mean This kitten

Or how about This one.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby papalazeru on Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:30 pm

Hellboy wouldn't fuck with this kitty,

papalazeru

Postby Wiccan Woman on Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:15 pm

Appropriate time for this, methinks....

Left behind
Wiccan Woman
AIRWOLF

Postby Vegeta on Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:30 pm

Oddly, I think the film I almost instantly compared Hellboy II to directly after viewing was Time Bandits. Now, I am more than aware that the story's are very different, but I am looking at it from the fantasy element. Both films seemed to wind further and further down the rabbit hole until everything in the film was just an utterly strange dreamworld loaded with danger and wonder.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Bayouwolf on Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:50 pm

Vegeta wrote:Oddly, I think the film I almost instantly compared Hellboy II to directly after viewing was Time Bandits. Now, I am more than aware that the story's are very different, but I am looking at it from the fantasy element. Both films seemed to wind further and further down the rabbit hole until everything in the film was just an utterly strange dreamworld loaded with danger and wonder.

...albeit far fewer midgets. Natch.
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Postby Vegeta on Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:04 pm

Bayou wrote:
Vegeta wrote:Oddly, I think the film I almost instantly compared Hellboy II to directly after viewing was Time Bandits. Now, I am more than aware that the story's are very different, but I am looking at it from the fantasy element. Both films seemed to wind further and further down the rabbit hole until everything in the film was just an utterly strange dreamworld loaded with danger and wonder.

...albeit far fewer midgets. Natch.

Well, the goblin near the end had no legs... so that sorta qualifies... right?
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Nachokoolaid on Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:48 am

papalazeru wrote:you mean This kitten

Or how about This one.

Ok, how about every time someone dislikes Hellboy 2, the Bridge-Troll Lady eats whoever made these?
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby papalazeru on Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:37 am

I was discussing this with Maui actually, its not quite Time Bandits as it is Gilliam-esque.

It's got that mechanised fantasy vision which is so far fetched and yet so beautifully created that it looks believable. I can't wait to see this.

Now, more cats.....

papalazeru

Postby The Vicar on Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:55 pm

Are those wrestling cats?
Kinda of looks like one cat has forced the other cat's head into an extremely suggestive position.
Stop the pussy on pussy violence.
The Vicar

Postby Maui on Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:44 pm

papalazeru wrote:

I was discussing this with Maui actually, its not quite Time Bandits as it is Gilliam-esque.

It's got that mechanised fantasy vision which is so far fetched and yet so beautifully created that it looks believable. I can't wait to see this.

Now, more cats.....

Yes, we were!! Go see this movie for the cats!!!! They really were purrfect in this.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:12 pm

Maui wrote:
papalazeru wrote:

Now, more cats.....

Yes, we were!! Go see this movie for the cats!!!! They really were purrfect in this.

Seriously, I've brought up the topic of temporary banning for extremely bad puns, Now is appropriate, I think.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby The Vicar on Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:57 pm

Finally caught up with this ( sorry, Mr. Del Toro ) and have to say I enjoyed it. Didn't love it,
although there were several outstanding sequences already referred to above. The general concern that the story was a bit thin seems well founded. Can't wait to peruse the Troll Market on my DVD player.
Overall a 7.2 of 10.
The Vicar

Postby The Vicar on Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:58 pm

And cats DO taste just like chicken.
Really nasty, stringy chicken that should have been binned two weeks ago.
The Vicar

Postby Maui on Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:31 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:Seriously, I've brought up the topic of temporary banning for extremely bad puns, Now is appropriate, I think.

Maui's claws come out!!! :twisted: :twisted:

To think I brought up your batman sig with honourable mention. Hmmph!
Maui
WoWie

Postby Gheorghe Zamfir on Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:46 pm

Came out of this a bit unimpressed. The story was very flat, it didn't really extend organically from anything set up in the first film, just kind of thrown together as an excuse to bring the gang back, which I guess is what a lot of sequels are, but those are the kind of sequels that tend to be disatisfying. But sometimes you get away with it if your characters are compelling enough, which for me they just weren't, I thought a lot of the character work was kind of lazy, lots of stuff that's been seen before. Very dissapointed with Tambor, who I actually ended up liking by the end of the first movie, but they put all that aside to have him just drop some whiny comic one-liners.

Oh, and there were a lot of people talking about the misstep of having this out one week before Dark Knight, and not surprisingly Hellboy got hit with a 70% drop (though oddly Hancock seemed to fare a little more decently), weird, its not one of those ideas that seems bad in hindsight, seemed like a bad opening date all the way through, I wonder why the studio couldn't see that.
Gheorghe Zamfir
REAL DRAGON

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:10 pm

Hey Gheorghe, sounds like you might get a kick out of this thread as well:

http://zone.aintitcool.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=71072
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:29 pm

The Vicar wrote:Stop the pussy on pussy violence.

uh...., yeah,.....you, Minstrel, and Burl can start a coalition...... :-P

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Bayouwolf on Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:25 pm

It's been reviewed to death by now, so I'll keep it brief...

Hellboy 2 is exactly what I had hoped it would be.
I loved the creature creations, the deadpan sarcastic humor, and Abe Sapien's move to the front row of the cast (A true breath of fresh air, as was the inclusion of Dr. Krauss, (speaking of air...) I absolutely loved the exchange between Johann and Hellboy in the locker room...(I giggled to myself for the full scene...)
BUT...
The love story between Abe and Nuala felt somewhat forced. It seemed as if the writers stopped midway through the process and said "You know what this story needs? Another romantic sub-plot that isn't going to be fully fleshed out!" While HB and Liz went through the "While we can't bear to be apart, we can't stand to be together" routine, Abe does the standard "Fall in love with the girl you can't keep". I dunno... To me it just felt tacked on.
The action sequences didn't disappoint, and all the little details Del Toro has thrown about the film like beads at Mardi Gras can only be fully appreciated by giving HB2 a second viewing.

Overall, HellBoy2 is visually stunning, with just enough substance to sustain your attention throughout.

7/10
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Re: Hellboy II: The Golden Army

Postby Ribbons on Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:06 pm

I would be remiss if I didn't mention that I saw Hellboy II over the weekend. This is probably going to vanish from theaters like a puff of smoke, but it really deserves a better fate. It's got a couple of similar problems as the first; characters seem to turn on a dime, it feels maybe a little too light than it should be, but it's also much better-executed. More humorous, more visually stunning, more bizarre -- "more-r," if you will.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Maui on Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:02 pm

Ribbons wrote:I would be remiss if I didn't mention that I saw Hellboy II over the weekend. This is probably going to vanish from theaters like a puff of smoke, but it really deserves a better fate. It's got a couple of similar problems as the first; characters seem to turn on a dime, it feels maybe a little too light than it should be, but it's also much better-executed. More humorous, more visually stunning, more bizarre -- "more-r," if you will.

Agreed. I liked the movie and the incredible special effects but I've already forgotten about it.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Ribbons on Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:30 pm

I sort of agree with you, but there are parts of it that stick in my head, like Krauss running down the halls of BPRD and whistling in gas-form, or the troll market scene. Coming off of Pan's Labyrinth I guess it's kind of a letdown, but I think Del Toro still did a pretty good job.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Nachokoolaid on Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:04 pm

I thought it was awesome, and it's actually got me a bit mor excited for The Hobbit. I would have probably enjoyed it anyway, but now I feel a bit more confident about it.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby bastard_robo on Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:22 pm

The Buddy that hooks me up with Con passes finally saw this.. We had a short discussion that went like this..

Buddy: "I saw Hellboy 2 last night"
Guy: "Really , what did you think?"
Buddy: "Could you explain to me why Del Toro felt the need to make the movie a Dumbledore slapstick comedy?"
Guy: "I think he was aiming to bring in some of the humor of the Non Nazi story line books"
Buddy: "I see. Never read the books"
Guy: "Then why are you talking?"
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:44 pm

None of the stories are anywhere near the goofiness DT dumped on Hellboy 2.
Last edited by Chairman Kaga on Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go fuck yourself.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion