13 Tzameti

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

13 Tzameti

Postby Pudie on Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:35 pm

Click

Very intense trailer, although it doesn't tell much about the whole movie. Still keeping my eye out though.
Last edited by Pudie on Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby colonel_lugz on Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:39 pm

Whoa! that looks great, Im keeping two eyes out for this one!
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:33 pm

It's been out in the UK on DVD for months, keep on meaning to check it out.

It's going cheap on Amazon too
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Pudie on Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:43 pm

Awesome! Gonna check it out now.
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:46 pm

intriguing.

thanks for the find Pudie.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:08 am

I just saw this.

Definately check this film out, it's one of those rare high concept films that actually works and pays off past the initial premise by delivering some solid tension, interesting visuals and (for me) a satisfying ending.

Spoilers (not too many though)
The story is about a 22 year old Georgian immigrant in France working to support his family by fixing the roof of some old Morphine Junkie who has come into money somehow and is constantly taking overdoses (clearly this guy isn't very happy), someone is keeping an eye on him through surveilance too.

A letter arrives which is clearly important, after opening it he takes a shot of dope and takes a bath, his girlfriend finds the letter and we see it contains a Train Ticket and a paid Hotel Reservation, as she puts the letter down she notices water running out from under the door and calls for the roofer for help to smash the door in, as she calls out the window for him a gust of wind blows the letter out of the bedroom window and on to the work equiptment of the Georgian roofer.

The junkie is dead, the roofer leaves after placing the letter with his stuff in a shed on the grounds.

The following day he returns to see if his work is going to continue, the girlfriend says the mans sister is getting the house so she probably won't even visit the house, she'll sell the house via an agent, so he's out of luck.

As he's getting the rest of his stuff from the roof a friend of the man visits the house, the roofer overhears a conversation which leaves him to believe the letter contains to solution to his problems, lots of money for a days work, he sciddadles and we next see him getting on the train heading for Paris.

He is now secretly the subject of the surveilance, he gets a phonecall in his hotel room to pick up new tickets from a locker at the station and to get off the train one station before the tickets destination.

He gets a cab to a destination in the middle of nowhere where he is soon picked up by a man in a car.

Thats the set up in a nutshell, what comes next is the real meat of the film, he is thrown into a seedy game of life and death as men in suits gamble very big money on the outcome of this sick game.

I won't say anymore about the story as that would spoil it, hopefully what I have written will simply tell you if this film is for you or not.

Shot beautifully in Black & White, I honestly can't imagine this film in colour, it just wouldn't work.

It's never flashy, too violent or overly dramatic, as I mentioned earlier it's just tense and oozes French cinematic style, every character in this world has those features you only find in French cinema, there is a word to describe these types of actors but I can't remember it, anyway thats not important, seeing the film if you are a fan of original cinematic experiences is.

9/10

A classic and a real achievement considering it's the debut feature of the Director.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:48 pm

sweet review Locke, looks like another quality film to look foward to.

John-Locke wrote:every character in this world has those features you only find in French cinema, there is a word to describe these types of actors but I can't remember it...

Gallic?

cheese eating surrender monkey visage?
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:38 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:sweet review Locke, looks like another quality film to look foward to.

John-Locke wrote:every character in this world has those features you only find in French cinema, there is a word to describe these types of actors but I can't remember it...

Gallic?

cheese eating surrender monkey visage?

HAHAHAH

No.

I think it was Pacino's girlfriend who told me the term, it's a french term to describe odd looking people who look great on film, Vincent Cassel, Gerard Deparduer (sp) the guy from Caché, people like Daniel Craig and um, yeah, been spending about 5 minutes trying to think of non french people who fit in this group and I can't think of any others. Yeah they all look french in the film but they all have those exagerated features that you can find the world over, it's just that the French like to put these people on the screen.

Anyway check this fucking film out.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby tapehead on Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:06 pm

sublime features? - I've read a few film writers use the the expression in aesthetic terms to describe just what you are talking about

not as funny as 'Cheese-eating surrender monkey visage' though
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:57 pm

John-Locke wrote:I just saw this.

Definitely check this film out, it's one of those rare high concept films that actually works and pays off past the initial premise by delivering some solid tension, interesting visuals and (for me) a satisfying ending.

Spoilers (not too many though)
The story is about a 22 year old Georgian immigrant in France working to support his family by fixing the roof of some old Morphine Junkie who has come into money somehow and is constantly taking overdoses (clearly this guy isn't very happy), someone is keeping an eye on him through surveillance too.

A letter arrives which is clearly important, after opening it he takes a shot of dope and takes a bath, his girlfriend finds the letter and we see it contains a Train Ticket and a paid Hotel Reservation, as she puts the letter down she notices water running out from under the door and calls for the roofer for help to smash the door in, as she calls out the window for him a gust of wind blows the letter out of the bedroom window and on to the work equipment of the Georgian roofer.

The junkie is dead, the roofer leaves after placing the letter with his stuff in a shed on the grounds.

The following day he returns to see if his work is going to continue, the girlfriend says the mans sister is getting the house so she probably won't even visit the house, she'll sell the house via an agent, so he's out of luck.

As he's getting the rest of his stuff from the roof a friend of the man visits the house, the roofer overhears a conversation which leaves him to believe the letter contains to solution to his problems, lots of money for a days work, he skidaddles and we next see him getting on the train heading for Paris.

He is now secretly the subject of the surveillance, he gets a phone call in his hotel room to pick up new tickets from a locker at the station and to get off the train one station before the tickets destination.

He gets a cab to a destination in the middle of nowhere where he is soon picked up by a man in a car.

That's the set up in a nutshell, what comes next is the real meat of the film, he is thrown into a seedy game of life and death as men in suits gamble very big money on the outcome of this sick game.

I won't say anymore about the story as that would spoil it, hopefully what I have written will simply tell you if this film is for you or not.

Shot beautifully in Black & White, I honestly can't imagine this film in colour, it just wouldn't work.

It's never flashy, too violent or overly dramatic, as I mentioned earlier it's just tense and oozes French cinematic style, every character in this world has those features you only find in French cinema, there is a word to describe these types of actors but I can't remember it, anyway that's not important, seeing the film if you are a fan of original cinematic experiences is.

9/10

A classic and a real achievement considering it's the debut feature of the Director.

Definitely seconded. I watched it the other evening on DVD after a friend recommended it. And what a highly impressive and memorable thriller it is - unflinchingly muscular, atmospheric and unsettling without once relenting it's minimalistic film-noir style. Right from the opening scenes you're hooked into the chilling world of these characters. And from therein, it never lets go of you.
This is definitely one of the best movies I've seen this year . As you say, JL, for a debut it's a compelling achievement. Let's hope we hear more from it's director (Gela Babluani) real soon. A name to watch, without question.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:53 pm

I watched this the other day. I enjoyed it, i wouldn't say it was brilliant though.

The game they play is pretty Fucked up though and the performances for the most part are good. Well thought out for the most part but i found the ending quite dissapointing because it was all pretty obvious...

It's worth watching for the game itself, the build up and the ending aren't great...
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:49 pm

Holy crap. I had no idea what this movie was about going in, so I was pretty shocked with some of the directions that the plot took.

It's definitely worth a look. I don't know whether Babluani was aiming for social commentary of the Battle Royale vein (i.e., in order to make a living you have to be willing to do whatever it takes to your fellow man), but on a purely visceral level the thing just oozes style. I like what HollywoodBabylon said about it being "muscular and atmospheric." The plot is surprisingly straightforward and the dialogue is spare, but it feels real, and it becomes a part of the movie's language. One of my favorite moments in the movie was the tracking shot of the main character exploring his surroundings accompanied by piano music, which you later see is one of the other competitors fiddling with a baby grand in-between games; that's just an example, but all of the details of the rules, traditions and characters that the main character ("13") is surrounded by really help to sell the world in a way that makes the absurdity of the situation believable and engrossing rather than ridiculous. As an exercise in style, there's a lot to recommend here. I'd love to see what the director does next.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Ribbons on Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:15 pm

Incidentally, "tzameti" apparently means 13 in Georgian, so the title is 13 13, or maybe 13 (Tzameti)
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Return to Movie Discussion