The Dark Knight Reviews Thread (Polls, Spoilers, Etc.)

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

On a scale of 0 to 10, how would you rate THE DARK KNIGHT?

41%
35%
15%
2%
2%
4%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
Some Other Knight! (Waiting for TV/DVD)
1%

Total votes : 81

Re: The Dark Knight (Reviews Thread)

Postby papalazeru on Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:31 am

King Of Nowhere wrote:
papalazeru wrote:Isn't Spike Lee himself a fictitious comic book character?

A man, single handedly trying to save the black people from the oppression of being exploited by the white man by making movies exploiting the black man exploited.

See, told you he wasn't real.

Bling muthafuckin' Bing.

:lol:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

nice one KON
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby TonyWilson on Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:04 pm

http://filmfreakcentral.net/screenrevie ... knight.htm

Oh my, yes, Walter Chaw adores it. Now I'm fucking excited.

Thematic spoilers and a few plot points too.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:19 pm

Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:32 pm

TonyWilson wrote:http://filmfreakcentral.net/screenreviews/darkknight.htm

I dunno. I love Walter Chaw and the way he puts them words together, but that seems like a lot of fancy footwork to me. I take issue on an ideological level with a lot of the points he makes in his review (not the least of which comparing anything to Sartre and meaning it in a good way).
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TonyWilson on Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:48 pm

Ribbons wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:http://filmfreakcentral.net/screenreviews/darkknight.htm

I dunno. I love Walter Chaw and the way he puts them words together, but that seems like a lot of fancy footwork to me. I take issue on an ideological level with a lot of the points he makes in his review (not the least of which comparing anything to Sartre and meaning it in a good way).

Well Camus can do but Sartre is smartre!!!

But seriously I can dig what your saying Ribbbons, there is a tendency for WC to project so much onto a film that he basically just analyses himself for 1000 words. Having only a passing knowledge of Sartre from reading a couple Camus biographies I can't judge but I certainly like the idea of paranoia and no hope for escape in relation to both Batman, The Joker and Two Face and also as a reflection on where we are now. Funnily enough Mr Beaks spoke about something similar in the beginning of his review (and unsuprisingly the right wing nuts were offended in the talkback) but I think Chaw sums it up best with this:

Walter Chaw wrote:...extraordinarily potent material that preaches the gospel that all is, in fact, lost--that the bad guy is a representation of not evil, but the quintessence of what happens when nihilism is embraced as a moral code of conduct.

It sounds like the film is articulating a pretty important obscured truth about us and I hope that it does.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:44 pm

How much longer before we get H*a*r*r*y*s review??
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby papalazeru on Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:08 pm

TonyWilson wrote:Well Camus can do but Sartre is smartre!!!

How dare you think you can get away with such an awful, terrible, ugly, joke.

I did groan though.

papalazeru

Postby tapehead on Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:10 pm

Yeah, I betcha H@rry will get to the bottom of this nihilistic existentialism crap - does the Bat-man push a big rock up a hill in this or something?
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:06 pm

Worst Part's Almost Over wrote:How much longer before we get H*a*r*r*y*s review??

I think the probably nature of this particular review was made predictable several months ago.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:09 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
Worst Part's Almost Over wrote:How much longer before we get H*a*r*r*y*s review??

I think the probably nature of this particular review was made predictable several months ago.

What's the betting there's some cock punching from Hazza?

papalazeru

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:12 pm

I think it's obvious he's going to spaff over the movie, but I still enjoy reading his reviews.

Don't go to the Wikipedia article on TDK by the way - full plot synopsis is up. I nearly spoilt it for myself!! :evil:
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:13 pm

papalazeru wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:

What's the betting there'll be a few paragraphs where the grammar is so poor the review becomes unreadable?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:44 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
papalazeru wrote:

What's the betting there'll be a few paragraphs where the grammar is so poor the review becomes unreadable?

Hey I honestly can't right good neither...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:02 am

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:
papalazeru wrote:

Hey I honestly can't right good neither...

You card read good.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:49 am

Caught the midnight screening. Holy Fucking Shit! That's about all I can say right now. Will probably have more after I see it in IMAX next week and more people can catch it. However:

Ledger's Joker isn't something you just watch or see, you are a witness. Do you remember the thing as a child you thought was going to come out of the dark and get you, whatever its shape? That's what Ledger's Joker is. That irrational thing crawled out from under the bed of your subconscious and up onto the screen. Spooky shit, man. Spooky shit. The gushing reviews of his performance? Not really that over-exaggerated.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bamf on Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:13 am

Good News...Story cannot be spoiled.

Bad News...Heath Ledger is dead.
bamf
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby RogueScribner on Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:21 am

13.5 more hours 'til I see it in IMAX, baby!!!
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby bastard_robo on Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:32 am

I'm running on 2 hours sleep, and I'm about to head to work were my main job is to drive all day, so for right now, I'll make this quick.

Fan..Fuck..Tastic!

This movie is everything that a sequel should be and more.

And Havey Dent is not this years VENOM.. I was surprised how well his story line played out. And thats the beauty of this movie, everything falls together perfectly, you don't question a moment of it.

Poor Heath, the fates were wrong to punish him so soon...

I'm off to work with money for about 4 Mountain Dew Amps...

More later...
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby papalazeru on Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:36 am

That's what I like to hear....a zoner I can trust, giving it the thumbs up.

Now that, to me, is very promising.

papalazeru

Postby The Vicar on Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:27 pm

papalazeru wrote:That's what I like to hear....a zoner I can trust, giving it the thumbs up.

Now that, to me, is very promising.

Likewise.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby cabjvitu on Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:16 pm

im eager to see the numbers make justice to this masterpiece!!
im from Argentina, i already saw it twice, once on monday on an avant premiere, and then last night on IMAX, this was INCREDIBLE.
Anyways, i really do hope, but more so like i know, it will crush everything that came before in numbers, i never quite pay attention to it, but come on, this movie deserves to do fantastic, and the pre sales in Usa skyrocketed! so go ppl go watch it! a lot of times! i will do my sharefrom here! hajahj but i know it´s not the sameee in number countings
cabjvitu
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Peven on Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:17 pm

saw this at a 9:30 show this morning and it completely lived up to my high expectations. excellent film. Heath absolutely deserves at least an Oscar nomination, and it will take a hell of a performance to top him for the award, imo. truly great work. Nolan does a great job creating tension early and keeping it ever-present and building until the end. Bale establishes himself as THE Batman after this, with authority. Oldman disappears into his role as Gordon. i think that this movie sets Batman up for a Justice League movie about as well as you could expect too. no other sequel needed to lead into that, imo. in fact, considering where they took the character, and where things are left at the end of the film, i would think that a Justice League movie is the best next step to take with him. anyway, considering that as i sit here trying to think of how they could have made this film better and can only come up with ticky tack nit picks, i am giving it a 9 out of 10.

trailer notes: "The Spirit" trailer went over like a lead baloon. this is the second teaser/trailer i have seen for this in the theatre with the same dead-air lack of response.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby bastard_robo on Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:22 pm

Its currently clocking a 9.7/10 on IMDB!

Also, on a trailer note, THE WATCHMEN trailer went over like ACES in the theater I saw it in..
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby The Ginger Man on Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:38 pm

So....yeah. That was...um, well....what's better than kick-ass? Bowel Blowing? Eye-bleeding?
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby buster00 on Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:42 pm

Well, I saw it , and it's 10/10 for sure...

But, honestly, I think I may have enjoyed Batman Begins a little bit more.

I'll still probably see DK again at least once, maybe twice, this weekend, if that tells ya anything. It is awesome.

Oooh, and at a midnight screening across town from me, they had to evacuate the place -- all 1,400 Batfans -- because some cocksucker phoned in a bomb threat!
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:15 pm

wow

when i was driving home following the movie last night, thats all i could say to myself. i mean i was actually in disbelief that the movie i has just seen was really that good. i wasnt really super pumped to see this flick. i saw batman begins, and was only mildly impressed. i certainly wasnt as enamored with it as many others seemed to be. i mean, it was good, but we had kind of seen it all before. and as hollywood generally has the tendency to massively disappoint (read: X3) i was coasting to the theatre on my brothers enthusiasm. so the movie starts. by the time batman was hanging from the side of that van, i turned to my brother and said "you can take every other batman movie evar, and flush them the fuck down the toilet." it really gelt like finallt, THIS was the batman film i have been waiting my whole life to see. i seriously cant believe that in a world where all hollywood cares about is the allmighty dollar, and movies like transformers and sin city receive 10's and even 11's!!! from fans that this film was able to be made and see its way through to release and still be that good. in fact, in a backwards sort of way, it is almost too good. firstly there wont be another comic book film this good for a long long time if ever. secondly,, if they do make a 3rd installment which there is no way they wont, there is no possible way it can be as good as this one. so in the most appreciative way possible, i am almost pissed at the nolans for setting the goddamned bar so high. for teasing me with this film that was so unbelievably good, everything else is guaranteed to disappoint. hellboy who? the golden what? seriously, fuck all the rest (with the exception of x2) THIS is how its done. The script was fantastic. nothing felt forced or tacked on (read:katie holmes). the plot developed with such a natural grace, it just felt so good so right. it was like the nolans were genuine fans of the book. i mean like real genuine fans. clearly they had an understanding of the characters and their motivations that would require more than a cursory few reads. and that really comes through in the script, as well as the performances. one of which, has already been talked about quite a bit, but i would like to talk about it for lust a few.

what critic is going to say "and the worst peformance in the film bar none was turned in by heath ledger. from start to finish, he just stinks up the screen"? none. even if that totally was the case, the fuckin guy is dead so no critic is gonna wants to be that dude that comes out, and totally rips the dead guy. so prior to seeing it, all this talk of a potential posthumous oscar for heath ledger was kind of pissing me off. like the best thing you can do for your career is die, right? so after seeing the film, this is how i now feel. Fuck oscar. for years the oscars have steadily been losing importance in my eyes. what (as a naive youth) i use to regard as a celebration of the absolute best that filmdom has to offer, i now consider to be a self congratulatory spank fest that is more politically motivated than anything else. So, if they were to "reward" or "honor" heath ledger with an oscar for this performance, it would totally be a blemish on the film, and bring the performance down. all the buzz made me want to hate his performance. its kind of like a baseball team that starts celebrating and gloating when its still the bottom of the 5th. like, can you assholes stop marking out until you have at least seen the film please? but fuck me running sideways that motherfucker steals the whole goddamned show. he was so good. i mean just so amazingly good. i mean, what the fuck?! i really couldnt believe it. every time the joker is not on screen, is just a moment of anticipation for him to come back. i mean fuck jack nicholson. do you hear me?!?!? FUCK JACK NICHOLSON! in fact, i feel a bit of a prat, trying to describe something that words can do no real justice to. it has to be seen to be believed. i mean, everyone in the movie was amazing. even maggie gyllenhaal reprising a role that katie holmes absolutely butchered. oh! so that character want completely stupid after all! i guess thats what happens when you cast people who can actually act. but it is absolutely ledger who runs away with the goddamned thing. i mean, he is an absolute joy to behold. he is so captivating. he is so good.. just so fucking good, it is really unreal to me. did i really just see what i think i saw? is that even possible? in a year that has seen the release of so much shit. so much fucking garbage, how does something this good slip through the cracks? i a system that seems to fight quality at every turn, somehow this one slipped through the cracks. what a fucking treat! as far as im concerned, the academy can take that oscar and shove it right back up their ass where it belongs. stay the fuck away from our movie. i feel at this point that i should also mention gary oldman. imo, oldman is eaily one of the best, if not the best actor working today. the man is unreal. and a character like commissioner gordon could very easily be just this supporting face who simply serves a role as the head of the cops (read:pat hingle). but oldman (and the nolans) seem to understand how badly batman and gordon need each other. oldman plays it with such heart. it is just so utterly believable. it works on every level, and gordon becomes this indispensable character that i doubt if anyone besides oldman could have pulled off with such realism. i adore gary oldman, and if you do too, then you will love this movie.

I feel like i could go on and on, as i did last. the whole way home i was practically fucking yelling nonstop because this movie was so good. i mean, its no 2001, obviously, but as far as comic book properties go, it puts em all to shame. even the hallowed X2 which i have considered to be the "best" of the comic films since its release has to step aside, and bow to even greater greatness. its movies like this that make me realize that when i talked shit on flicks like sin city, that i was not just being a dick, that i was right. finally you have the complete package. it is compelling and successful on every level and nothing made me go "that is fucking stupid" like so many of its "contemporaries" for lack of a better term. when i was contemplating my rating for this film, i was going back and forth. yeah, i have a few minor quibbles. i mean it was not a totally flawless film, however there was nothing egregious enough to spoil or impede my enjoyment of the movie. i suppose i dont really need to sell anyone on this. if there is one film this summer most of us will probably see, this is it. but for the record, The Dark Knight gets a 9/10. maybe i am still seeing the film through the same rose colored glasses i saw King Kong through at bnat, but right now, i am utterly blown away. in fact, in a sick sort of way i am glad that ledger will not be able to reprise his role. i am not glad that he is dead, nor am i glad that we will see no more of the joker. but i am glad that there will not be a second performance that may not be as good as the first one. you talk about people going out on a high note. well, heath ledger is the john fucking elway of hollywood today. and this is superbowl XXXII.

when the credits were rolling, this dude in the row behind me, when everyone is finally finished clapping, goes "boo!" now, was he kidding or not? because right now this flick seems virtually bulletproof to me. did we even see the same movie???
9/10
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:59 pm

Tickets purchased for midnight show tonight! It was the only show left available at the Cinerama in Seattle which is the best non-IMAX screen in the city.

can't wait....must take nap after work...
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby buster00 on Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:11 pm

The record for biggest single opening day gross, to date, is Spider-Man 3's $59,841,919. Who wants to bet that Dark Knight smashes the shit out of that record?

Round-the-clock showings, all sold out, all over the country...

And people showing up wearing almost as much makeup as they had on at the Sex and the City premiere!
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Ginger Man on Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:31 pm

buster00 wrote:The record for biggest single opening day gross, to date, is Spider-Man 3's $59,841,919. Who wants to bet that Dark Knight smashes the shit out of that record?

And people showing up wearing almost as much makeup as they had on at the Sex and the City premiere!

Someone told me, and I may be wrong cuz I'm too busy/lazy to check right now, that TDK pulled 18 million for just the midnight showings. If it keeps pulling in those numbers for each showing, it could be an 80 million dollar opening day. Very impressive.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Re: The Dark Knight Reviews Thread (Spoilers, Etc.)

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:38 pm

It would be seriously cool if TDK got those numbers but Spider Man 3 was more family friendly which is one of the reasons it did so well. I think the tone of this is already going to stop it from doing a record breaking opening. I hope I can come in here on monday and retract all that.
TonyWilson

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:42 pm

That's true about the higher grossers tending to be more family friendly - the only recent exceptions I can think of are perhaps the Lord of the Rings films, or The Matrix sequels.

Seems like there's a good chance it'll have broken opening records before it's even been seen by the audiences.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:44 pm

The Ginger Man wrote:
buster00 wrote:The record for biggest single opening day gross, to date, is Spider-Man 3's $59,841,919. Who wants to bet that Dark Knight smashes the shit out of that record?

Someone told me, and I may be wrong cuz I'm too busy/lazy to check right now, that TDK pulled 18 million for just the midnight showings. If it keeps pulling in those numbers for each showing, it could be an 80 million dollar opening day. Very impressive.

Indeed, TDK did break Revenge of the Sith's midnight showing record and that number did NOT include 3am or 6am showings only the midnight showings.

Source.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Vegeta on Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:07 pm

Caught The Dark Knight at a matinee earlier this afternoon. All I can say is it more than lives up to the hype. Wow, THIS is what a summer event movie should be! Great story, great performances, and great visuals! I also must agree with whoever on the main page said that Dark Knight is Harvey Dent's story, because it is. I will discuss further in regards to the film once more of you have seen it, I just want to say... GET OUT THERE AND SEE THE DARK KNIGHT NOW!!! RUN OVER ORPHANS IF YOU MUST, BUT SEE IT NOW!

Vegeta gives The Dark Knight 5 out of 5 punches:
ImageImageImageImageImage
Last edited by Vegeta on Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby buster00 on Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:44 pm

I am confirmed, through the miracle of online ticket purchasing, to be seeing this again at 9:15 tonight! :D
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby BuckyO'harre on Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:56 pm

Saw it at a 10am IMAX showing.
I'll spare everyone my review, but I will say that I was one contented bunny wabbit.

And I wanna jump off a building...

but in a good way???

9 out 10

*Reminder to self*
Never sit in the second row at an IMAX again.
Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RaulMonkey on Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:00 pm

Brocktune wrote:wow

when i was driving home following the movie last night, thats all i could say to myself. i mean i was actually in disbelief that the movie i has just seen was really that good. i wasnt really super pumped to see this flick. i saw batman begins, and was only mildly impressed. i certainly wasnt as enamored with it as many others seemed to be. i mean, it was good, but we had kind of seen it all before. and as hollywood generally has the tendency to massively disappoint (read: X3) i was coasting to the theatre on my brothers enthusiasm. so the movie starts. by the time batman was hanging from the side of that van, i turned to my brother and said "you can take every other batman movie evar, and flush them the fuck down the toilet." it really gelt like finallt, THIS was the batman film i have been waiting my whole life to see. i seriously cant believe that in a world where all hollywood cares about is the allmighty dollar, and movies like transformers and sin city receive 10's and even 11's!!! from fans that this film was able to be made and see its way through to release and still be that good. in fact, in a backwards sort of way, it is almost too good. firstly there wont be another comic book film this good for a long long time if ever. secondly,, if they do make a 3rd installment which there is no way they wont, there is no possible way it can be as good as this one. so in the most appreciative way possible, i am almost pissed at the nolans for setting the goddamned bar so high. for teasing me with this film that was so unbelievably good, everything else is guaranteed to disappoint. hellboy who? the golden what? seriously, fuck all the rest (with the exception of x2) THIS is how its done. The script was fantastic. nothing felt forced or tacked on (read:katie holmes). the plot developed with such a natural grace, it just felt so good so right. it was like the nolans were genuine fans of the book. i mean like real genuine fans. clearly they had an understanding of the characters and their motivations that would require more than a cursory few reads. and that really comes through in the script, as well as the performances. one of which, has already been talked about quite a bit, but i would like to talk about it for lust a few.

what critic is going to say "and the worst peformance in the film bar none was turned in by heath ledger. from start to finish, he just stinks up the screen"? none. even if that totally was the case, the fuckin guy is dead so no critic is gonna wants to be that dude that comes out, and totally rips the dead guy. so prior to seeing it, all this talk of a potential posthumous oscar for heath ledger was kind of pissing me off. like the best thing you can do for your career is die, right? so after seeing the film, this is how i now feel. Fuck oscar. for years the oscars have steadily been losing importance in my eyes. what (as a naive youth) i use to regard as a celebration of the absolute best that filmdom has to offer, i now consider to be a self congratulatory spank fest that is more politically motivated than anything else. So, if they were to "reward" or "honor" heath ledger with an oscar for this performance, it would totally be a blemish on the film, and bring the performance down. all the buzz made me want to hate his performance. its kind of like a baseball team that starts celebrating and gloating when its still the bottom of the 5th. like, can you assholes stop marking out until you have at least seen the film please? but fuck me running sideways that motherfucker steals the whole goddamned show. he was so good. i mean just so amazingly good. i mean, what the fuck?! i really couldnt believe it. every time the joker is not on screen, is just a moment of anticipation for him to come back. i mean fuck jack nicholson. do you hear me?!?!? FUCK JACK NICHOLSON! in fact, i feel a bit of a prat, trying to describe something that words can do no real justice to. it has to be seen to be believed. i mean, everyone in the movie was amazing. even maggie gyllenhaal reprising a role that katie holmes absolutely butchered. oh! so that character want completely stupid after all! i guess thats what happens when you cast people who can actually act. but it is absolutely ledger who runs away with the goddamned thing. i mean, he is an absolute joy to behold. he is so captivating. he is so good.. just so fucking good, it is really unreal to me. did i really just see what i think i saw? is that even possible? in a year that has seen the release of so much shit. so much fucking garbage, how does something this good slip through the cracks? i a system that seems to fight quality at every turn, somehow this one slipped through the cracks. what a fucking treat! as far as im concerned, the academy can take that oscar and shove it right back up their ass where it belongs. stay the fuck away from our movie. i feel at this point that i should also mention gary oldman. imo, oldman is eaily one of the best, if not the best actor working today. the man is unreal. and a character like commissioner gordon could very easily be just this supporting face who simply serves a role as the head of the cops (read:pat hingle). but oldman (and the nolans) seem to understand how badly batman and gordon need each other. oldman plays it with such heart. it is just so utterly believable. it works on every level, and gordon becomes this indispensable character that i doubt if anyone besides oldman could have pulled off with such realism. i adore gary oldman, and if you do too, then you will love this movie.

I feel like i could go on and on, as i did last. the whole way home i was practically fucking yelling nonstop because this movie was so good. i mean, its no 2001, obviously, but as far as comic book properties go, it puts em all to shame. even the hallowed X2 which i have considered to be the "best" of the comic films since its release has to step aside, and bow to even greater greatness. its movies like this that make me realize that when i talked shit on flicks like sin city, that i was not just being a dick, that i was right. finally you have the complete package. it is compelling and successful on every level and nothing made me go "that is fucking stupid" like so many of its "contemporaries" for lack of a better term. when i was contemplating my rating for this film, i was going back and forth. yeah, i have a few minor quibbles. i mean it was not a totally flawless film, however there was nothing egregious enough to spoil or impede my enjoyment of the movie. i suppose i dont really need to sell anyone on this. if there is one film this summer most of us will probably see, this is it. but for the record, The Dark Knight gets a 9/10. maybe i am still seeing the film through the same rose colored glasses i saw King Kong through at bnat, but right now, i am utterly blown away. in fact, in a sick sort of way i am glad that ledger will not be able to reprise his role. i am not glad that he is dead, nor am i glad that we will see no more of the joker. but i am glad that there will not be a second performance that may not be as good as the first one. you talk about people going out on a high note. well, heath ledger is the john fucking elway of hollywood today. and this is superbowl XXXII.

when the credits were rolling, this dude in the row behind me, when everyone is finally finished clapping, goes "boo!" now, was he kidding or not? because right now this flick seems virtually bulletproof to me. did we even see the same movie???
9/10

Haha, thanks for that. My brother's like you. Thought BEGINS was just okay and hasn't been jazzed about any of the trailers or anything from this. "So the Joker's make up's all smeary. He's not scary." I really want him to drop a brick in his theatre seat and leave as gobsmacked as you were.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby Vegeta on Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:31 pm

I'll be honest, it took me more than one viewing to come to the conclusion that Begins was pretty good (4 out of 5 punches). Not this time... Dark Knight is freaking awesome, if I'd change anything it would be to cut the whole Hong Kong sequence... kind of unneccesary in retrospect.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby cabjvitu on Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:16 pm

Vegeta wrote:I'll be honest, it took me more than one viewing to come to the conclusion that Begins was pretty good (4 out of 5 punches). Not this time... Dark Knight is freaking awesome, if I'd change anything it would be to cut the whole Hong Kong sequence... kind of unneccesary in retrospect.

i think that served to show exactly what it means in the relationship with the ¨civilized people¨ and batman, who is the one that can make the choice that no one can, coz he goes out of the law, but in that moment he is the hero, for the time that is needed, then..
cabjvitu
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Brocktune on Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:24 pm

RaulMonkey wrote:I really want him to drop a brick in his theatre seat and leave as gobsmacked as you were.

me too, my friend. from one wannabe naysayer to the next!!
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby LaDracul on Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:32 pm

As much as I liked the movie, I was a little sad. I knew Rachel wouldn't live to see the end of the film, although I had to remember what Jim Carrey said on the matter.

"Batman can't be married, he has shit to do!"

Anyway, I'm also sad that I don't know when we'll see the next one.

I'm also glad the scene with Joker popping out of the body bag was kept. We're all over it and we still wish Heath could enjoy the film's success, but I just think if that was cut out, it wouldn't have made sense.

Oh, and Tiny Lister FTW.
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby Bayouwolf on Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:15 pm

I officially take back ANYTHING I said about Heath Ledger in this film...
He doesn't simply disappear into the role. The man is the Joker.
As far as I am concerned, this incarnation of the character will be the benchmark that all others actors in the role are measured against.
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Postby so sorry on Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:45 pm

Firstly: Can I say how much I LOVE the spoiler tags in here now?

Second: I guess I wasn't expecting this overwhelming joy for TDK... you all know how it goes when expectations get sooo high... anyway, I figured I'd catch TDK in the next month or so, but fuck me, after reading the last few pages in here, I MUST see this soon. These are the times I envy the young and single...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby bastard_robo on Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:50 pm

Riddle me this!

Dose anyone else feel that this Movie, compared to Batman Begins, almost feel like a POLAR opposite?

The story is much bigger, but just the way things are shot..There is MUCH more Lighting and Daylight shots in this film than BB's almost DARK CITY feel.

It feels like DARK KNIGHT almost stands on its own from Begins, much like TEMPLE OF DOOM is different from RAIDERS...

But it just might be me...
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:50 pm

For once the Zone seems to be in agreement, I wonder how long it will last.
TonyWilson

Postby The Ginger Man on Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:55 pm

bastard_robo wrote:Riddle me this!

Dose anyone else feel that this Movie, compared to Batman Begins, almost feel like a POLAR opposite?

The story is much bigger, but just the way things are shot..There is MUCH more Lighting and Daylight shots in this film than BB's almost DARK CITY feel.

It feels like DARK KNIGHT almost stands on its own from Begins, much like TEMPLE OF DOOM is different from RAIDERS...

Totally agree with you. The visual sense of realism is much stronger in TDK than it was in BB.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby Bayouwolf on Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:26 pm

The Ginger Man wrote:
bastard_robo wrote:Riddle me this!

Totally agree with you. The visual sense of realism is much stronger in TDK than it was in BB.

I think it's because the 92% of the film is shot in "Gotham".
For whatever reason, the mountain views and constant interior shots of BB tended to take me out of the Batman story.
Where BB had snow capped mountains, TDK has a cityscape most of us can relate to being around during all hours of the day. The City of Gotham is as much a supporting player in the cast as Morgan Freeman is...

It was necessary (but still a little aggravating) for the first film to be "all over the map".
TDK is firmly grounded in a realistic, living breathing city. Complete with even the smallest bit characters anyone can relate with.
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Postby RogueScribner on Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:59 am

I just got back from seeing TDK in IMAX. First of all, I made the mistake of sitting in the front row. MY EYES! But that was my choice and I must live it. Much like the characters in TDK must live with the choices they made.

I don't mean this in a dissenting fashion, but this is not a fun movie. There were fun moments to be sure, but this movie beats you down, just like the Joker beats Batman and Gotham City down. It's brutal. Spider-man this is not. Hell, Batman Begins it is not! This movie is less a comic book superhero romp than a treatise on the moral and ethical choices we make, the consequences of such choices, and how far we're willing to go to make the world safe. The Joker is all about pushing people's buttons to the point where he gets to what's really underneath. When you take away all of our safety nets and comfort zones, who are we really? What are we willing to do to grab that back? Who is the real monster here? In the face of adversity, what are we really prepared to do and can we live with ourselves afterwards? If we step over the line, can we live with the consequences? Can we live with them if we don't? The Joker rains chaos upon Gotham, burning it into the ground figuratively speaking. The city is a shambles by the end of this movie and the characters left witness to it probably wish they hadn't been.

I actually teared up at the end because of the choice Batman had to make. It's an awful choice, but one he had to burden himself with for the good of Gotham. I honestly don't know where the franchise can go from here. It's not just a matter of thinking up which villain they'll showcase. Things are left such a mess at the end TDK that I can't fathom how they'll ever be put straight again. Some people have compared this to The Empire Strikes Back. That movie had a glimmer of hope at the end. This movie does not. I can't imagine anyone walking out of this movie feeling good. Was it Moriarty that suggested this movie could have been titled Batman Fails? He's right. And that's precisely what happens. The movie plays with the idea that false hope is better than no hope at all. That's not exactly the feel good message of the year, you know?

Again, I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from seeing this movie. It's a great film. I just want people to know what to expect. As I sat in the theater at the end of the movie, I was sullen. This movie did not end happily or hopefully. It's mean. It's Batman against the world, or at least that's what it feels like. I get what he's fighting for, but at the same time, if I were in his shoes, would I accept the burden? Or would I give up? It would be so easy to give up and let the decay wash over you, but Batman believes so clearly in a better day for Gotham that he's willing to sacrifice himself for the cause. This movie isn't suitable for children and I can't imagine any children actually having fun watching it. The movie deals with themes and philosophies and brutality that would be completely over their heads. The Burton Batman films are more suitable for them. When they get into their teens, then maybe they can understand and appreciate what's going on here. This movie is stripped of any comic book accoutrements present in the first film and certainly any comic book superhero film to date. The stage is stripped down to the gritty reality of our society, making the destruction of the social fabric of Gotham all the more frightening.

The performances were all wonderful. I don't know about any Academy Award nominations for Ledger. Even if he gets one, I doubt he'd win. Ultimately, it's still the Joker. Gandalf and Jack Sparrow didn't win, so neither will the Joker. But that's neither here nor there. Heath Ledger wasn't in this movie. At least, I never saw him. The Joker was all over this film and his presence permeated scenes he wasn't even in. I liked Jack Nicholson's Joker, but that was a Joker for a different world. A comic book world. Heath Ledger gave us a Joker for our world and it's scary indeed. Aaron Eckhart was also great as Harvey Dent. I wish a little more time was spent on him towards the end, a little more care spent with his transformation from White Knight to raging vigilante. But a small quibble. Christian Bale didn't really have anything showy to do in this movie, but he's the glue that held it all together. Without his calm center, this movie would have blown apart easily. Gary Oldman brought nuances and earnestness to the role of Jim Gordon that I wish were present in other incarnations of the character. His Gordon isn't afraid to take a stand, whether it be against corruption, criminals, or Batman himself.

The cinematography in IMAX was a wonder to behold. Everytime the screen opened up the audience gasped. It filled my entire range of vision and I felt fully encompassed by the world Nolan was presenting. Batman's aerial acrobatics rocked in IMAX and I'm sure I'll be let down when I see them in normal resolution. The VFX were never noticed save for some Two Face stuff. Speaking of which, I felt the look of Two Face was a bit exaggerated and leaned towards unbelievable. The one element of the film that pulled me out of the reality Nolan worked so hard to establish. Again, quibble. It didn't lessen my enjoyment of the film in the least. The action scenes were good. I particularly liked the truck chase in the middle of the film, especially some work with the Bat Pod. The climax of the film wasn't an action set piece but an ethical one. Really, anyone going into this movie looking for great action sequences will probably be disappointed. There was plenty of action and some of it was cheer worthy, but what sells it is the verisimilitude Nolan exercises in the composition of them. You're wowed because it looks and feels real.

When the title The Dark Knight flashed across the screen at the end of the film, I realized what it meant. It's not simply a throwaway title from the Batman line of comic books. It actually holds thematic resonance with what transpired in the film and that floored me. Just reading those three simple words on the screen had such an effect on me. It was the perfect end note for the film and I sat there for minutes afterwards just contemplating what those words meant and the hows and whys of the way the film unfolded. I felt bad for Batman and as great as I felt the movie was, I wasn't instantly anticipating a sequel because what would it bring? I'm afraid to find out.

The genius of this film is that it took two popular characters in the Batman mythos and redefined them for a generation. This is the benchmark all future interpretations of the Joker and Harvey Dent will be judged against. This movie broke all bounderies of superhero convention. It defied all the rules and presented us with something that stands apart from everything that's come before. There are other superhero movies that are more fun, more exhilarating, more of a visual feast. But none have ever (and I wager will ever) come close to delving the depths of our social fabric the way this film has. My two favorite films of this summer--nay, the year--both deal with the same thing (though in much different ways): the human condition. WALL•E was a cautionary tale that ended hopefully and happily. The Dark Knight is all about the examination of the self and shows us that deep down, we may not like what we see. But one day--through the efforts of a lone vigilante willing to take on our burdens and give us hope--maybe we won't have to.

9/10

Vegeta wrote:I'll be honest, it took me more than one viewing to come to the conclusion that Begins was pretty good (4 out of 5 punches). Not this time... Dark Knight is freaking awesome, if I'd change anything it would be to cut the whole Hong Kong sequence... kind of unneccesary in retrospect.

I think the point of that was to show how Batman isn't above violating people's civil liberties to meet his end game. He clearly worked outside of the law to bring that accountant out of Hong Kong. He also tapped into every cell phone in Gotham City on the hope he'd hear the Joker and be able to triangulate his position. That was one of the main ideas of the movie: How far are we willing to go for justice and peace of mind? And how far is too far? Potent post-9/11 commentary, IMO. Plus it was just a cool sequence in the film. :)
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby BuckyO'harre on Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:21 am

RogueScribner wrote:I just got back from seeing TDK in IMAX. First of all, I made the mistake of sitting in the front row. MY EYES! But that was my choice and I must live it. Much like the characters in TDK must live with the choices they made.

AHEM
BuckyO'harre wrote:*Reminder to self*
Never sit in the second row at an IMAX again.

Why did'ya no listen to Bucky?!

RogueScribner wrote:Was it Moriarty that suggested this movie could have been titled Batman Fails? He's right. And that's precisely what happens. The movie plays with the idea that false hope is better than no hope at all. That's not exactly the feel good message of the year, you know?

People keep talking about this sense of hopelessness they feel afterwards.How Batman loses. I didn't see it quite that way.

Everyone loses.But all is not lost. Even the Joker's plan isn't completely realized.The people on the ferries don't execute each other.They don't sink to the ABSOLUTE bottom.
Yes, so he is able to break Harvey.The best man in Gotham.But he doesn't erase his example.He wasn't able to destroy every shred of humanity in Gotham.
You could argue that Harvey's legacy only remains as a result of the cover up, but Batman and Gordon are doing it BECAUSE of what he accomplished.They act in his memory.They still get back up.Even if it's just to their knees.They don't say "the hell with this city, I'm moving to Connecticut".They survive.Gotham survives.Bruised,bloody,and battered,but still alive.

Batman protects the city anyway he can.Even if it means becoming the villian in it's eyes.It was inevitable if Gotham was ever going to become something better.

This film knocks you on your ass,but by the end of it I don't think you're supposed to just lie there and wallow.It isn't completely hopeless.Dawn always breaks eventually.Batman believes that. He has to. So do I. If that's false hope,so be it. When the end does come it won't matter much anyway.

The world often looks like it will spiral out of control,or reach a point of no return.But through some luck or miracle we're still here,
aren't we?

"There are no happy endings.
Because nothing ever ends."

I hope some of that makes a bit of sense.
Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:48 am

I agree with you, Bucky. But the ending of TDK wasn't exactly Spider-man swinging through the city, you know? It wasn't even Luke Skywalker, badly injured and a bit demoralized, looking out at the stars with Leia knowing he'd have to face his destiny sometime soon. No, the ending of TDK was much bleaker than that. Gotham City isn't without hope, but Batman no longer is a public beacon of justice in the eyes of most people in Gotham and their White Knight is dead. It's always darkest before the dawn, but I think while Gotham has hope for survival Batman has none.

It's not a bad ending, but it's certainly one I don't think many people are going to expect. Like I said, I can't even begin to fathom where a third intallment would even go. But I'll be there when it happens. :mrgreen:
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby BuckyO'harre on Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:27 am

RogueScribner wrote:I agree with you, Bucky. But the ending of TDK wasn't exactly Spider-man swinging through the city, you know? It wasn't even Luke Skywalker, badly injured and a bit demoralized, looking out at the stars with Leia knowing he'd have to face his destiny sometime soon. No, the ending of TDK was much bleaker than that. Gotham City isn't without hope, but Batman no longer is a public beacon of justice in the eyes of most people in Gotham and their White Knight is dead. It's always darkest before the dawn, but I think while Gotham has hope for survival Batman has none.

True,there isn't anything uplifting about it.Nor is it a total devastation.It's just how it has to be.He's a tragic and admirable figure.As soon as he put on the mask his fate was sealed.We can't help but pity and respect him at the same time.He may be Batman until it destroys him,but a large part of his psyche needs it to be so.Miserable, but consumed and driven enough to continue.Even if Rachel had survived and had chosen him,(and assuming he tried to stop being Batman),how long could he have gone before he was fed up with the system again?

It's just nice to know he'll always be there from now on, no matter what.

I can see how that will be small comfort for some though.

RogueScribner wrote: Like I said, I can't even begin to fathom where a third intallment would even go. But I'll be there when it happens. :mrgreen:

Big ditto there. Couldn't pay me enough to try and write the follow up to this.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion