Audience Reactions In A Movie

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Audience Reactions In A Movie

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:57 pm

So I was watching Red Dawn in a theatre and people were laughing at all the serious bits.
When Anakin became Darth Vader where his helmet went on him, it was a tragic moment for me, the hero had fallen, yet people were applauding that moment.
When he went "NOOOOOO!!!!" I thought it was 'alright', but peopel laughed.
Lugz the big girly cried at the Ride of the Rohirn, whilst I groaned at the appauling CGIness of it.
When King Theoden got killed or was doing that 'hand on the forehead to cover your bad acting and eyes' bit, I was the only one in the audience laughing as he is so shit.
In 300, I was laughing to myself constantly as it was so Dumbledore.
In a pirate copy of the fly, when Geena Davis sat on a Doctor's bed, some dude said 'spread those legs, baby!'
When the Killer Whales got shot and went flying in the air in that Disney movie about guys in an airship going to the North Pole to another Viking world or whatever, I thought it was sad, but people were just groaning at the silliness of it.

So all throughout these theatrical moments where you see or hear the audience acing in weird ways to me, I just thought 'Man these Americans are idiots, I'm never watching a film over in this country again'.

Back in England we had TASTE. 2 mates of mine said that one night they were desperate to see a film and they saw Earth Girls Are Easy. They said that the opening credits to the film were so bad that when they were over they got up and walked out. If that reaction in a movie theatre wasn't bad enough, the rest of the audience actually APPLAUDED them doing this too.

So.... what other questionable or weird audience reactions have you noted or observed, whether the same as you or some that you thought you were just downright weird or unagreeable. Oh, and you have o have actually sat down to SEE the movie in the theatre as apparently according to the oh so smart people in this place, you actually NEED to SEE a film before you can give your opinion on the experience. Twats.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Re: Audience Reactions In A Movie

Postby papalazeru on Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:34 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:In a pirate copy of the fly, when Geena Davis sat on a Doctor's bed, some dude said 'spread those legs, baby!'

So, it's okay for you to watch priate copies so long as your not in them?

Fucking hypocrite!

I remember one of the last films at my local cinema before it closed down, Blade, the bit where blade cuts off the guys head and gets his shades back, first time the audience in Catford EVER clapped to a movie, and that includes the kids films.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:44 pm

I recall seeing Independence Day in the theater and the entire crowd erupting into cheers and applause when the White House was destroyed by the giant flying saucer. I remember thinking "wow, that was kinda cool but jesus...should we really cheer at the White House getting destroyed?"

Also- anyone and everyone who laughed at any moment during Freddy Got Fingered.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:49 pm

papalazeru wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:In a pirate copy of the fly, when Geena Davis sat on a Doctor's bed, some dude said 'spread those legs, baby!'

Fucking hypocrite!

I was young, and in Malaysia.

Moo I think I heard that UKers were groaning at the 'it's about time!' bit where the movie announced to the British army that the Americans had figured out a way to beat the Aliens.

Though I do remember at the end of The Black Hole where B.O.B dies, many grown up members of the audience vocally admitted their sadness to this event. I had to fight hard not to cry myself.

And succeeded!! :-P
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:05 pm

I think on a few occasions I was the one with weird reactions in movies... I can't remember too many now, but I remember being the only one laughing out loud at a couple of scenes of The Dark Knight when the rest of the (packed) theater was silent. There've been other times like that but I can't remember...

This doesn't really fit into what you're asking I suppose, but I saw The Mist and Inglourious Basterds in screenings that happened to have tons of teenagers in 'em... on those occasions the audiences really livened up the filmgoing experience 'cause they were laughing, cheering or saying "Ew gross!" at all the right moments.

What I dislike is the smartass who has to crack wise during a film, but any time I can be in a room with genuine reactions to the film I usually walk out thinking I got more than my money's worth.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Ironical on Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:14 pm

At the end of "I know who killed me" that wonderful Lindsay Lohan movie, the 10 people in the audience all took part in a spontaneous slow clap.

Normally clapping at the end of movies makes me want to crawl out of my skin - but this was hilarious.
Just because I don't wanna war with you, don't mean go warm up the barbecue.
My high noon is a quick little minute, I don't want to spend it sitting with a critic, who simply isn't going to ever really get it.
Ironical
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Fievel on Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:19 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
papalazeru wrote:

Fucking hypocrite!

I was young, and in Malaysia.

Not the first time you've used that particular excuse methinks... :wink: :D

Pacino86845 wrote:This doesn't really fit into what you're asking I suppose, but I saw The Mist and Inglourious Basterds in screenings that happened to have tons of teenagers in 'em... on those occasions the audiences really livened up the filmgoing experience 'cause they were laughing, cheering or saying "Ew gross!" at all the right moments.

I saw the first Saw film on opening night with a theater full of high school-aged kids. They screamed at all the right places and made it a great time.

When my brother and I saw The Passion of the Christ the theater was packed with various church groups. When Jesus started getting his ass beat, most of the theater was openly weeping. I mean sure, I've heard sniffles in a theater before, but these people (women and men) were WEEPING.... "Boo Hoo" and all that jazz. I started quietly giggling which got my brother giggling, and then it happened - someone nearby blew their nose LOUDLY. That sucker just HONKED!! When that happened we both just started laughing out loud. We then got "shushhhh!!"ed from all corners. All that did was quiet us back down to the giggles.

Good times.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:33 pm

I remember the awkward audience i saw LARS AND THE REAL GIRL with. My brother and I took it as kind of a somber film about a man with troublesome issues. His behavior wasn't funny, it was troubled. But the film was sold as a comedy. So people would be laughing out loud and we would be kind of looking at them funny. And then as the film moves towards the more dramatic portions the audience kind of caught on and it all got real awkward.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby travis-dane on Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:34 pm

Speaking of ID4, I saw it in packed theater, 600+ people. After the huge destruction scenes(Whitehouse, New York...) the whole theater was silent. Like for a minute nobody said something.
That was an awesome experience. I know the movie is cheesy and stuff, but I never witnessed something like that again. The whole audience was blown away...
Thats why ID 4 has a special place in my heart.

Then, the new version of The Exorcist, I almost jumped out of my seat at the scene were the Phone Rings in the priests apartment. Everybody around got an Heart attack. good stuff.

The death of Maximus teared up three tough guys sitting next to me. I am not tough, but i was crying like a baby too.

Weirdest experience: watching The Crow in a sold out theater. Everybody looked like they went to a funeral. I dont think anybody could really enjoy the movie that night.sad.
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:26 pm

So long as we are talking not just about inappropriate audience experiences...

I'll never forget seeing Saving Private Ryan on the opening evening. It was surreal. 3/4 of the audience were just people like me who wanted to see the next big Spielberg/Hanks flick, but about 1/4 of the audience were obviously veterans, a number of whom were old enough to have served in WWII. Many of them were wearing hats or other apparel denoting their service units, ships, whatever. Behind us in the theater was a gentleman probably in his late 70's/early 80's and during the Omaha Beach scene he wept openly. It was obvious that he had been there...or had been in combat that was similar. It made a very powerful scene that much more poignant and sad. SPR has a LOT of flaws, but I'll never forget watching it with that group.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby DerLanghaarige on Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:37 pm

I remember some great audience reactions at a Star Trek night, 10 or 11 years ago. The first eight movies and a packed theatre laughing, cheering and even applauding at the right moments. That was just great.
I read back in 1993 or so in the newspaper from two teens, who got kicked out of "Schindler's List", because they laughed at one scene. Don't know which it was.
And a friend of mine once told me how he (German) saw "Raiders Of The Lost Ark" in a theatre in the US and got some seriously bad looks from other audience members, because he couldn't stop laughing, everytime the Nazis on screen tried to speak German.
I also remember when I saw a few years ago for the first time a movie in a foreign theatre. "Ice Age 2" in Canada, to be more specific. And HOLY SHIT, it totally blew my mind! The audience was cheering and applauding! At a normal movie like Ice Age 2! You don't see people doing this in German theatres, unless they are all Trekkos (Thanks, Vern) and they are spending a whole night with watching the movie series! I still wish I had the time and money back then to watch "Slither", which came out the same weekend. Because if the audience already freaked out during a pretty so-so kids movie, their heads would have exploded from that movie!

Also one interesting reaction moment was during a sneak preview of "Final Destination". There was the scene in the morgue, where they are about to meet Tony Todd and find the corpse of one of their friends. And suddenly the corpse starts to twitch. The problem was that in that moment I was taking a sip from my big Pepsi cup, so that the lower half of the screen was for me covered by it and I couldn't see why suddenly everybody around me was jumping from their seats and/or screaming.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:42 pm

Well ANY kind of audience reaction or anything you guys think is worth writing about, don't have to be a the 'weird' or 'odd' category, anything notable really. In this day and age of Zone recession we need to have as much possibility of having a thread live!!

As bad as this is to say, Rocky 4 is the biggest reaction to a film that I've participated and experienced in. Right from the boos and cheers when the USA and Russian gloves come up to the screen I know this is gonna be one loud movie like I've never known before or since. Whenever Drago beats up on the good guys, plenty of boos, but when Rockey beats him up, that place urned into a farking RIOT!! EVERYONE cheered and 'cos I was a dick at that time, I had to join in too.

I guess that's the power of OLEG, I mean Sylvester Stallone and Dolph Lungdren! Let's see you do THAT, Marty so called best director in the world Scorsese with your Raging Bull flick!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Fievel on Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:47 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:So long as we are talking not just about inappropriate audience experiences...

I'll never forget seeing Saving Private Ryan on the opening evening. It was surreal. 3/4 of the audience were just people like me who wanted to see the next big Spielberg/Hanks flick, but about 1/4 of the audience were obviously veterans, a number of whom were old enough to have served in WWII. Many of them were wearing hats or other apparel denoting their service units, ships, whatever. Behind us in the theater was a gentleman probably in his late 70's/early 80's and during the Omaha Beach scene he wept openly. It was obvious that he had been there...or had been in combat that was similar. It made a very powerful scene that much more poignant and sad. SPR has a LOT of flaws, but I'll never forget watching it with that group.

The only flaw with SPR was the story. Everything else was damn near perfection. I'd love to see someone edit the opening scene into the second (??) episode of Band Of Brothers.

But your story is not uncommon, Moo. Most everyone I know that saw it at the theater noticed at least one Vet with their hat/jacket/pins/etc. There were even reports of Vets going into shellshock after watching that opening scene. I wish I had seen SPR at the theater for this very reason - to see it amongst those who served at that time. If nothing else, it would have been a good time to shake a Vet's hand and say thanks. Maybe even just a courtesy nod.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby BuckyO'harre on Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:07 pm

A girl sitting infront of me completely broke down when Prof. X was vaporized in X3.I mean sobbing like she had just been dumped.

Other than that I've been pretty fortunate when it comes to audience experiences.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:12 pm

Fievel wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:So long as we are talking not just about inappropriate audience experiences...

The only flaw with SPR was the story. Everything else was damn near perfection. I'd love to see someone edit the opening scene into the second (??) episode of Band Of Brothers.

But your story is not uncommon, Moo. Most everyone I know that saw it at the theater noticed at least one Vet with their hat/jacket/pins/etc. There were even reports of Vets going into shellshock after watching that opening scene. I wish I had seen SPR at the theater for this very reason - to see it amongst those who served at that time. If nothing else, it would have been a good time to shake a Vet's hand and say thanks. Maybe even just a courtesy nod.

What I find curious with Saving Private Ryan's flaws is that a lot of so called them I don't think are flaws that exist at all. The whole 'Boohoo it shows the Americans winning the war all by themselve's' bollox. Ahem, it's a small story about a small mission about Americans looking for an American in places where they expect the American to be, such as say... where OTHER American troops are! Why would it involve say, the British troops (which many refer to in such a complaint) so much when it had nothing to do with them?

Anyway, you say Schindler's List... when I was working at my cinema where that redhead with the big breasts worked that I nearly got fired for for being wrongly accused of sexual harrasment (DAMN YOUR TITS BREAK MY HEART, BITCH!!)) I found a very sensitive moment where old people, I think they were war veterans were telling me how they were apprehensive about going into the theatre to watch the film and that they might be coming out for a breather later. When that later came, they did indeed come out and had to sit down for a while. I asked if they were OK and they said with a smile that they were fine but they just had to come out as it all got a bit too much for them in there. They went in again and finished the film off. Thinking about it now, that THOSE audience members have some first hand or related experience to the Holocaust, it makes you realise just how close WE as the other audience members come in watching that movie to just how REAL those events were, that such unbelievable human horrors and cruelty really did happen.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:13 pm

I remember seeing Batman Begins at midnight @ the Navy Pier IMAX. It was pack filled with geeks. We were each given flashlights, which displayed the BAT SIGNAL when turned on. Throughout the film, there was a buzz of excitement. At the time, we all knew this was BATMAN as we had never seen him, as we had always HOPED to see him. When the lights went up there was a groundswell of applause. Our joy just burst out of us. It seemed that we all knew, even then, that better things were on the horizon.

That was a great audience and a great night. One of my favorite movie experiences of all time. Seeing a movie in theatres is such a crap shoot and I have had so many experiences where the audience ruined the film for me. But there are rare times when an audience is what makes a film. I still can't extract my joy watching that first night when I see BB.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:18 pm

Seeing Superman as a toddler at the theatre was the worst cinematic experience of my whole life. Toward the end when all the earthquakes start... I was scared, I cried, I went mad, I totally broke down, I even wet myself... I flipping went out the wrong door to go to the toilet and went through the EXIT door and couldn't get back into the farking auditorium!! I had to go out onto the streets of London where the exit corridor lead to and find my way back into to the theatre entrance!!! I was only about flipping SIX years old!!! My dad found me when I got back in though eventually. He had a right go at me, then to reward my fear and me getting back to the safety of my family, I had them all taking the piss out of me for getting bloody LOST in the first place!!!

gentlemen.

Then when I thought all that bad stuff was over - I did the same thing when I went to see Moonraker!!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:31 pm

Good audience reaction:
War of the Worlds - the shiny alien probe in Tim Robbins' house has just gone away, the tension has built up but now the three have escaped detection, and everyone in the cinema seemed to breath a sigh of relief.

Bad audience reaction:
Spider-Man 1/2/3 whatever - Spider-Man lands somewhere near a US flag and people start cheering and applauding. No.

Acceptable audience reaction:
Wayne's World - people in cinema hang-banging at that point in Bohemian Rhapsody.

Unacceptable audience reaction:
Revenge of the Sith - yes it's the West End first night of the film, so lightsabres might be okay....but during the farking film...idiots.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Al Shut on Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:46 am

bad audience reactions: everytime anyone makes as much as a peep

And I'll never forgett the audience bursting into quite unusual cheers at the Bill Gates scene in the Southpark movie. They really hate the guy.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Seppuku on Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:48 am

A few interesting audience reactions:

A guy getting up onstage and stripping every time Party Boy's music started playing during Jackass: The Movie.

During Casino Royale a kid must have been talking too loudly to his friend (I didn't hear him personally), so the man behind him, who was built like a rhino, figured he might as well punch him in the face so as to impress his girlfriend. The whole audience cheered him on...for hitting a 14 year old kid who was being a bit loud. The manager then came in, gave us all two free tickets, and told us all to scarper while the police dealt with the situation.

Um, also I once went to see a movie called Kidulthood- I was just using my free Cineworld pass, so I walked into whatever was playing. I don't like to use the world chav all that much (it's just another way of making the poor seem like a bunch of animals), but this was definitely a chav film with a chav audience. Whenever a character in the movie did some sick shit like beat up a woman or shoot holes into someone, the whole audience would cheer wildly at the screen. I never felt so awkward at a movie in my life.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:48 am

Seppuku wrote:During Casino Royale a kid must have been talking too loudly to his friend (I didn't hear him personally), so the man behind him, who was built like a rhino, figured he might as well punch him in the face so as to impress his girlfriend. The whole audience cheered him on...for hitting a 14 year old kid who was being a bit loud. The manager then came in, gave us all two free tickets, and told us all to scarper while the police dealt with the situation.

i would've cheered for him too. anyone who talks during a movie deserves a punch in the face.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Spandau Belly on Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:25 am

Weirdest audience reaction goes to KNOCKED UP. I sat there in a full cinema for the whole movie and only heard the occasional snicker. Then, while exiting, all I could hear was all the people saying to each other "That was the funniest movie I have ever seen!" and "I couldn't stop laughing at that part!". I felt like saying "You couldn't stop laughing because you never started." It was so freaky. I think words like "hilarious" and "gut-busting" need to be used in greater moderation.

Mixed audience reaction. I and several other people laughed really hard out loud during the part where all the cats go nuts in LET THE RIGHT ONE IN. The laughter kinda became contageous and a lot more people started laughing. To this day, I don't know if that scene was supposed to be funny.

Surprising audience reaction. I saw BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN on openning weekend and after the first love scene half the cinema got up and left. I guess it's relatively explicit, or at least the most explicit scene in the film, but nothing hugely shocking. I figured these people must've just not known anything about this movie. They probably just showed up at the cinema on their dates and saw a poster for what looks like a cowboy movie and bought a ticket. And thinking back, there was nothing blatant about these guys being in love until that first night they get all drunk so I guess you could interpret their tension as manliness or uncomfortability around sheep or something. But man, those people got a surprise.

Worst audience reaction. I saw APOCALYPSE NOW and this woman behind me just kept saying in a loud talking voice to her boyfriend "This. Is. Crust." and "There's point to any of this." and "Who would ever want to make this?"
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby DerLanghaarige on Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:34 am

Do you know the urban myth about the school class back in the 70's, that went to a screening of "The Exorcist"? The story goes that it was some kind of "scared straight" attempt, where the kids should watch the nastiest horror movie of the time, to convince them that horror movies are bad for them. It's been said that the whole class ran out of the theatre and puked on the street. :lol: (I highly doubt that they all puked.)
Not an urban myth is the sneak preview, where "Daniel, der Zauberer" (Check YouTube) was shown and the audience started to loudly protest, until the movie was stopped and replaced with something better.

Seppuku wrote:A guy getting up onstage and stripping every time Party Boy's music started playing during Jackass: The Movie

WHAT!?!

Spandau Belly wrote:Weirdest audience reaction goes to KNOCKED UP. I sat there in a full cinema for the whole movie and only heard the occasional snicker. Then, while exiting, all I could hear was all the people saying to each other "That was the funniest movie I have ever seen!" and "I couldn't stop laughing at that part!". I felt like saying "You couldn't stop laughing because you never started." It was so freaky. I think words like "hilarious" and "gut-busting" need to be used in greater moderation.

Now I know why Rogen and Apatow are popular: They are brainwashing their audience!

P.S.: This is not an audience-reaction-story, but it just came to my mind. A theatre full of kids and their parents were waiting to see "102 Dalmatians", but someone started the wrong movie and they saw trailers for "Das Experiment", "The Exorcist (New Version)" and the first few minutes of "Hannibal". They all recieved an apology, free popcorn and their money back. Don't know what the people got who had to see "102 Dalmatians" instead of "Hannibal".
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Seppuku on Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:50 am

DerLanghaarige wrote:
Seppuku wrote:A guy getting up onstage and stripping every time Party Boy's music started playing during Jackass: The Movie

WHAT!?!

If you think that's bad, you should have seen what happened when I went to see Bruno! :wink:

I remember my dad got up and walked out the second time the guy did it. He's not exactly homophobic or anything, but he's the kind of guy who probably doesn't even like looking at himself in the mirror too long in case it gets construed as Dumbledore... (OK, that sounds pretty homophobic).

Oh yeah, I should point out I'm one of those guys who laughs at totally awkward, inappropriate moments. My little brother and a couple of friends actually refuse to see movies with me I'm that bad. The fact that when I'm really tickled I laugh like a molested donkey probably doesn't help.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby travis-dane on Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:40 am

Seppuku wrote:
DerLanghaarige wrote:

WHAT!?!

If you think that's bad, you should have seen what happened when I went to see Bruno! :wink:

I remember my dad got up and walked out the second time the guy did it. He's not exactly homophobic or anything, but he's the kind of guy who probably doesn't even like looking at himself in the mirror too long in case it gets construed as Dumbledore... (OK, that sounds pretty homophobic).

Oh yeah, I should point out I'm one of those guys who laughs at totally awkward, inappropriate moments. My little brother and a couple of friends actually refuse to see movies with me I'm that bad. The fact that when I'm really tickled I laugh like a molested donkey probably doesn't help.

Now you made me laugh like a molested donkey!!!
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby Fievel on Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:45 am

travis-dane wrote:
Seppuku wrote:
DerLanghaarige wrote:

WHAT!?!

Now you made me laugh like a molested donkey!!!

Now both of you have made me go molest a donkey just to try and get an idea of what this sounds like....
I'd compare the sound to James Earl Jones having horrible diarrhea....and enjoying it.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Doc Holliday on Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:46 pm

Less a reaction, more a fucking unwanted running commentary - some little sprat in front of me during X3, who'd brought his dad to see the film and decided that during the movie was the best time to catch pops up on who each and every single character was. Despite our twenty-year age gap, to this day I defend my decision to hiss "Shut the fuck up" violently at him. Simple etiquette, junior.

I had Born on the Fourth of July made more unbearable by some emotional wreck of a woman, who spent the whole film sobbing. Not quietly to herself, no - the hysterical sobbing that should be reserved for the end of Tarka the Otter and Tarka the Otter alone. On two occasions she rose form her seat, applauding loudly. The second time, someone in the cinema (ahem) shouted "Who are you, Jane-fucking-Fonda? Sit down...". Highly appropriate/inappropriate - please delete as applicable to your sensibilities.

What is acceptable, however, is jumping out of your seat during Jurassic Park, at the bit where the raptor appears at the door. And do I mean out of your seat - as in actually landing on the floor. And fuck those 12 year old kids sitting right behind you, who didn't even flinch. And are now laughing at you.

Insensitive bastards.
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:03 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:Less a reaction, more a fucking unwanted running commentary - some little sprat in front of me during X3, who'd brought his dad to see the film and decided that during the movie was the best time to catch pops up on who each and every single character was. Despite our twenty-year age gap, to this day I defend my decision to hiss "Shut the fuck up" violently at him. Simple etiquette, junior.

you should have given him a punch in the face.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Doc Holliday on Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:06 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
Doc Holliday wrote:Less a reaction, more a fucking unwanted running commentary - some little sprat in front of me during X3, who'd brought his dad to see the film and decided that during the movie was the best time to catch pops up on who each and every single character was. Despite our twenty-year age gap, to this day I defend my decision to hiss "Shut the fuck up" violently at him. Simple etiquette, junior.

you should have given him a punch in the face.

Had it been X2, I would have. In the kid's defense, he did seem to have a better handle on the characters than Ratner, so I let him walk...

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DerLanghaarige on Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:10 pm

I remember that during Burton's "Planet Of The Apes", when the Bonham-Carter ape got saved from drowning and now lies on the beach, making noises like "mh, mh, mh, mh" a teenage girl(!) suddenly yelled: "Yeah, swallow it, bitch!
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Doc Holliday on Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:12 pm

DerLanghaarige wrote:I remember that during Burton's "Planet Of The Apes", when the Bonham-Carter ape got saved from drowning and now lies on the beach, making noises like "mh, mh, mh, mh" a teenage girl(!) suddenly yelled: "Yeah, swallow it, bitch!

Acceptable.

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:17 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:What is acceptable, however, is jumping out of your seat during Jurassic Park, at the bit where the raptor appears at the door. And do I mean out of your seat - as in actually landing on the floor.

Heh, that reminds me of when I saw 28 Days Later. I think it was the scene where the captured zombie escapes and darts towards the camera, when my friend, instead of jumping out of his seat, whacked me square in the cojones so hard I couldn't breathe for almost a minute.

That'd definitely make a change from all those cliched Newspaper quotes:-

The Sun says: "I was so scared I punched the man in the seat next to me right in the Crown Jewels."
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby The Vicar on Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:39 pm

Seppuku wrote:Heh, that reminds me of when I saw 28 Days Later. I think it was the scene where the captured zombie escapes and darts towards the camera, when my friend, instead of jumping out of his seat, whacked me square in the cojones so hard I couldn't breathe for almost a minute. That'd definitely make a change from all those cliched Newspaper quotes:-

The Sun says: "I was so scared I punched the man in the seat next to me right in the Crown Jewels."

Do your friends often express surprise or fear by banging your gong?
What happens during a comedy? Excessive laughter makes him/her check your prostate?
I'd be seriously considering taking this person off your "friend" list.
You could end up seriously hurt.

"Why'd you hit me in the goddamn balls?"
"I got scared."
"And my balls remind you of a fucking crazed zombie attacking?"
"..............yeah ?"

Sepp's Balls Attacking

Woah.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Spandau Belly on Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:12 am

Okay here's one. The crowd I saw THE SPIRIT with an audience that was strangely all black, stoned, Haitian, and laughing their fucking asses off at the whole movie. And it wasn't like it was one big group of friends, it was like every three or four person cluster of Haitian stoner in Montreal decided to see The Spirit that night. Seriously, I was the only white guy in the cinema and I was getting second hand stoned off the smell of marijuana coming off these guys like it was a Tragically Hip concert or something. Anyhoo, based on that audience reaction I would've never guessed this film would've taken one of the biggest shit-kickings of its year. That crowd loved it. I thought it was okay, but I was getting pretty high by the halfway mark. I may watch it again, but would probably cave and start toking up or at least getting drunk to bring the memories.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby DaleTremont on Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:36 am

I have blasted all my memory to oblivion with the massive quantities of alcohol I've been drinking lately, so pardon me if I've already griped about this somewhere (it seems to me vaguely I may have), but when I was watching Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince I had, without a doubt, the most obnoxious 12 year old gentleman sitting behind me. It was a progression throughout the film. First she started to repeat every line of dialogue, imitating it in a bad fake British accent. Then she would shut up for about 10 minutes so I figured she had worn herself out and was done for the duration. But lo and behold, ten minutes later she was at it again, only now she was whispering extremely loudly to her friend, asking the kind of inane questions you're not meant to answer. "Wait why did he do that?" "OMG what's going to happen now?" "Is that a wand?" At this point I had to say something so I turned around and whispered at her to be quiet but I'm not very forceful so I think she just ignored me. As a matter of fact I'm pretty sure the little gentleman was purposefully trying to egg me on because 5 minutes later she took a call on her cellphone and said, in the loudest whisper imaginable, "Hey mom, I'm at a movie right now so I can't talk. Yeah no it's okay. No mom I can't talk right now I'm in the movie theater." I turned around and glared at her for 2 minutes. She still ignored me but I think I scared the shit out of her friend because she started to try to shut her up after that.

I don't know. If I were a better woman I would have probably gone right up to her and told her to shut the fuck up instead of all that passive aggressive shit. That's the most annoying reaction to a movie I've ever encountered though. Although I imagine that's probably her reaction to every movie she sees. I hope one day she gets punched in the face. I don't care if she is 12 years old.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Seppuku on Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:47 am

DaleTremont wrote: As a matter of fact I'm pretty sure the little gentleman was purposefully trying to egg me on because 5 minutes later she took a call on her cellphone and said, in the loudest whisper imaginable, "Hey mom, I'm at a movie right now so I can't talk. Yeah no it's okay. No mom I can't talk right now I'm in the movie theater." I turned around and glared at her for 2 minutes.

Maybe she was doing her Dom Joly impression?
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby DennisMM on Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:57 pm

I saw the first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in order to review it. A kid, maybe 5, came in with his parent and sat behind me. Each time a character appeared on screen, the kid squealed and identified him/her to the parent, then described the action. Eventually I turned around and (really) snarled at the pair and moved far enough away not to be bothered. I know, the child was little, but still!
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Kornula on Mon May 03, 2010 3:47 am

Godzilla opening weekend at the Fireweed theater, Anchorage, Alaska. 500 seat auditorium filled with maybe 100 people scattered. I"m sitting with 4 or 5 movie geek friends. 5 minutes in, my friend Mark makes a smart ass comment directed at the screen, loud enough for friends down the row to hear.. this gets overheard by others..they laugh.. which starts a chain reaction the rest of the film; Everyone is now cracking remarks at the movie Everyone had a laugh despite the movies effort not to remind us we lost 7$
Kornula
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby ufoclub1977 on Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:36 pm

1982... Houston, Texas. Woodlake 3 cinema. Packed summer audience in the weekend afternoon.

During E.T. when the bikes all fly at the end the entire audience got on their feet and clapped. I have never seen such a reaction to a movie ever since.
ufoclub1977
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:29 am

I recently saw TINKER TAILOR SOLIDER SPY in the cinema with mum. The second it ended everybody in the cinema burst out complaining and saying "That was the worst movie I've ever seen!" "It was just so stupid!" "I wished you'd said something and we could've just left!" etc

I thought this was a really good movie. And the strange thing was that this audience was what I would consider the target demographic for this film (old people). If I worked in a videostore I would probably recommend this film to every conservative-looking old person who walked through the door. It's tame, slow paced, good actors, set in the middle of the Cold War. But man, this crowd hated it.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:53 pm

Jurassic Park. You could hear people gasping when the dinos appeared on screen. It was a great audience. And there was really awe in the theater.

Got some of the same reactions in Fellowship of the Ring, like people couldn't believe their imaginings were up on screen.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby The Vicar on Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:37 pm

The first time the audience got a big eyeful of The Shire in Fellowship,
there was a collective *gasp* that ejaculated from the crowd.
There were some tears.
Especially when Gandalf went cliff diving.
Man was it quiet in that theatre right then,
not counting the sobbing and gnashing of teeth.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Return to Movie Discussion