Raymond Scott

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Raymond Scott

Postby Brocktune on Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:02 pm

well, im here alone, at least for now, so why not make an unsolicited suggestion.
Raymond Scott
anybody else here like this guy?
one of, if not the most amazing composer of the 1930's and beyond. im sure everybody here has heard at least one of his pieces, if not more. carl stalling acquired the rights to a large portion of scotts catalog, and as a result, many of scott's tunes were heard time and time again in the looney tunes shorts. you probably all know his most famous tune, "Powerhouse". its the song they play any time any character is in a factory. John K also used Scott's music heavily in his Ren and Stimpy's. None of his music was ever written for cartoons, however, it just ended up there. Anyway, as a fan of jazz, film scores, and a lot of bands that most people consider "weird" or "unlistenable". i was drawn to Raymond Scott like a celebrity to plastic surgery. the music he made with his infamous "quintette" in the 30s is so amazing, technically as well as creatively. i have like an eargasm every time i listen to his stuff. for the newcomer, i reccommend "Reckless Nights and Turkish Twilights". i myself just picked up the new release of the 1950's lost "Unexpected" by Raymond Scott and his Secret Seven. featuring legendary lung man Toots Thielemans. some of you may be like me. i knew the tunes, but couldnt put a name to them. for years i searched, until i finally discovered the name of the man who would bring my ears hours upon hours of ecstacy, raymond scott.

http://www.raymondscott.com

Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:32 am

Sweet intel. Brock.

Guy was WAY ahead of his time.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:47 am

Well after checking the link I can now thank Mr Scott for providing the music too the funniest thing I have ever bared witness too............Explodey the Pup in 'I Like Pink', fuck every time I watch It I cry.........genius...........( NB - The music is "Manhattan Minuet" from the episode, Stimpy's Cartoon Show )

Thanks for the info Brocktune...........
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:33 am

Yeah... Stalling get alla the credit but he was a the hack...
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Brocktune on Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:36 pm

whoa, huge slam on stalling out of nowhere.
if stalling is a hack, then what the fuck is milt franklyn?
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:37 pm

I was a making with a the funny...
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Brocktune on Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:46 pm

how dare you make jokes at the expense of dead, g@y, hack cartoon composers.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:57 pm

ok, i am reviving this dead thread for one reason.

somebody who is really fucking cool just posted a video of the Raymond Scott Quintette performing!

i have checked youtube like every week for something like this. i swore i would never get to see the quintette perform, until someone invented a time machine. i firmly believed i would never see johnny williams sr. perform his amazing brand of percussion anyplace other than in my head.

man i was stoked to see this. even the tap dancing indians do some mighty fine hoofin'. its funny, because scott himself (behind the piano, natch) is virtually nonexistant in this clip of his band performing. scott of course was a consummate professional. anyways, if you (like me) looooooove scott, then please enjoy this ancient treasure.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:14 pm

Dude, I had no idea this thread ever existed! Awesome!

I'm heavily into Scott compositions. My copy of Raymond Scott Project Volume 1 has been following me around for about 15 years, and is still near the top of my stack of CDs. Thanks for the video! Amazing shit.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:26 pm

isnt it?!?!

i couldnt get the smile off my face watching these guys play. even with the video quality as lackluster as it is.

glad to know there is another scott fan in the zone!
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Return to Music