Music Videos

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Postby doglips on Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:24 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
doglips wrote:AWESOME!

the parents in this Mr. Show sketch could just have easily shown their little boy that video.

certainly gayed me up some...

Heh, I feel like I'm on the couch or something.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:13 am

La Blogothèque performance by St. Vincent of "Marry Me." I dig the album version a lot but this unadorned acoustic version cuts a little deeper. Watch the other two clips too.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:00 am

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:La Blogotheque performance by St. Vincent of "Marry Me." I dig the album version a lot but this unadorned acoustic version cuts a little deeper. Watch the other two clips too.

Cheers Tyrone, thanks for the link. I'd never heard of La Blogotheque before, but I also found this on there: the Arcade Fire performing "Neon Bible" in an elevator.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Flumm on Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:23 am

Yeah, excellent link there, Tyrone.

Even if it was originally overlooked, (:oops: ), cheers!

Unlike most people from my corner of rainy, mutl-class 'burbia, I'm somewhat of a sucker for anything with a hint of Gallic class about it, even the slightly over-earnest or pretentious, but that site is great on it's own merits.

I like the idea of it being a website serving musicians and their music, but also acounting for this with with the quality of the videos. Completely bypassing the fundementally cool, yet indistinct, techo-slouchnyess of the youtubes, but cleaner, simpler and with more original content than the general music-vid sites - which usually use really ugly, advert-laden software, anyhow.

Bookmarked.

Ribbons wrote:
Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:La Blogothèque performance by St. Vincent of "Marry Me." I dig the album version a lot but this unadorned acoustic version cuts a little deeper. Watch the other two clips too.

Cheers Tyrone, thanks for the link. I'd never heard of La Blogotheque before, but I also found this on there: the Arcade Fire performing "Neon Bible" in an elevator.

Nice contrast between the performance Neon Bible in the elevator, and then with Wake Up in the crowd, I thought.

I had forgotten what a beautifully crafted song Wake Up was. Ugh, from that opening A chord, it just builds and builds...

The Andrew Bird ones are excellent, also.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:58 am

New Jamie Lidell Song from Jim (upcoming album)
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:37 am

(I have to admit) I've been watching this video a lot lately. I kind of like the song, but it's the pictures that do it for me, or some combination of both:

My Chemical Romance - "I Don't Love You"
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Flumm on Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:25 pm

Shallow, shiney but purty.

HEARTSREVOLUTION - C.Y.O.A
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:20 am

One for you here Flumm.....

Got to agree with the one post below it!

Camille - Music Hole Doc
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:34 pm

Adam Buxton's video for Spoon's Don't Make Me A Target:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBtXw6CPwg4
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Flumm on Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:39 pm

doglips wrote:One for you here Flumm.....

Got to agree with the one post below it!

Camille - Music Hole Doc

Hehe.

That reminds me...

I'm guessing you'd have seen this already, Dog?

Bjork - Wanderlust

That's the best quality (when embiggened) I could find, for now.

One of the years better videos of the year so far, I think...

Love the look in the eyes of the yaks, and the composition of the opening moments.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Evil Hobbit on Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:26 am

Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby doglips on Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:59 am

I generally don't like Julie Burchill, but this article made me laugh a couple of times.

Julie Burchill
Sunday April 13, 2008
in The Observer wrote:
Three things, it's safe to say, will always be with us: the poor, taxes and Madonna. And the weather. Like the weather, Madonna is everywhere, reigning over the just and the unjust, friend and foe alike; loving her or hating her is as futile as loving or hating the rain, wind or snow - it'll happen anyway. Turning 50 as she does in a few months, the question is perhaps worth asking: what did we do to deserve this? It's been a quarter of a century of cruel and unusual punishments - peaking in the sustained, sadistic, hate-filled frenzy that was Swept Away - so far. Surely we're going to get some time off for good behaviour soon?
Article continues

Or maybe not. If Madonna didn't devote her life to harassing us, what would she do with herself all day? Remember, this is a woman with so much time on her hands that she can spend four hours a day working out. I know I'm studly, but I have to say that if I spent four hours a day working out, I'd want to look a damn sight hotter than Madonna does; those vile veiny hands, that sad stringy neck - yuck! Liz MacDonald off Corrie looks 10 times better.
I've said it before, but it bears repeating: despite the received wisdom of the poor little Star - a Very Private Person - desperately attempting to go through life minding their own business while being stalked mercilessly by press, paparazzi and sad fans who need to Get A Life, it very often seems to me that it is we, the public, who are actually stalked by the stars. And to the most extreme extent. I've never to my knowledge shown Madonna my vagina, for instance, but she's certainly shown me - and countless others - hers, in that vile book SEX.

Visions of that greasy muff, which one could easily have fried an egg on without benefit of oil, haunt me till this very day. But if a 'civilian' goes around showing their genitals, they're arrested!

Despite the neediness and attention-seeking that has so characterised Madonna's career, it's not hard to imagine her little shudder of disgust on seeing a photo of the latest knickerless party girl getting out of a limo in Heat. If, of course, Madonna read magazines, which she doesn't, being an intellectual and an artist and all that. Doesn't watch TV either, or let her children do so, despite having made her name on MTV. Hmm...maybe if she consumed a bit more pop culture, she might not make such rubbish pop records, not to mention write such appalling children's book or act in/direct such frankly risible films.

But what the heck - reports of Madonna's demise, including this one, are inevitably premature. She has already earned millions from the new album Hard Candy even though it is not on sale yet, and has deals with Vodafone, Unilever and Fuji which will use the ever-burning white-hot flame of her untouchable talent to flog hairspray, mobile phones and the like.

The Winehouse Effect has made Madonna look, musically, as sub-standard as she ever has in the whole quarter century of her career. Don't forget that Madonna initially trained as a dancer; it's very likely that she decided to switch to singing after she realised that she would never be a first-rate dancer, and whereas you can't fake it as a dancer, you certainly can as a singer. Until, of course, the Winehouse Effect showed up so many 'singers' as the aurally altered charlatans they are.

With the advent of the astonishingly gifted Amy Winehouse we suddenly realised what had been missing in our singers, especially the female ones, for the wasteland of the Madonna decades - a voice. We wouldn't have applauded a dancer with two left feet or a comedian who made people cry - but in making Madge the best-selling female singer of the twentieth century, we did exactly this. The 'reinvention' thing should have been a clue - since when did a singer ever have to 'reinvent' themselves? Did Billie Holliday or Aretha Franklin - will Amy Winehouse? No.

Will her singing career ever take a turn for the better? Will Madonna ever make a proper great trashy pop record again? It's unlikely; quite understandably, she appears to have a good deal of contempt for her paying public simply because they have made her the best-selling female singer of the twentieth century. No - the most shocking thing about Madonna (apart from that muff; that's the second time I've mentioned it - see, I told you it haunted me!) is that she really is one of life's grade A, ocean-going natural mediocrities.

'I have moments where I feel incredibly invincible and know that I have the audience in my hand - I know that everything is absolutely perfect. And then I have panic attacks where I feel like everyone is breathing my air and I cannot live up to everybody's expectations and I might just die on stage.

'I normally try to turn my back to the audience, take a deep breath and remind myself that it's all temporary. I'm not worried about fucking up - I really have a panic attack that everyone else is breathing my air.'

When I read this, a quote from a recent interview with her in Dazed and Confused, I realised that while a little self-doubt on her part might well have made Madonna become better at what she does over the past 25 years, it would also have taken away much of her entertainment value. For in the vast chasm between her view of herself and what she actually is - between the golden fleece and the greasy muff, if you will - this most pompous, pretentious, hypocritical and humourless of women has added greatly to the gaiety of nations for the past quarter-century. Long may she continue to delight us - in this way, if in no other.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Hermanator X on Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:21 pm

For fans of elvis/propellerheads/morecambe and wise

Propellerheads - Crash
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby travis-dane on Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:25 pm

Madonna is the fucking ÃœBERMILF!
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby doglips on Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:50 pm

One for Zaries here. Hour long Battles gig. I posted the link somewhere before, but can't find it, probs in this very thread!
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby WinslowLeach on Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:09 pm

Time to get FONKAY!!
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:07 pm

New Mates Of State video Get Better
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby doglips on Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:02 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:New Mates Of State video Get Better

Awesome, more info please! Do they have an LP yet?? ( edit - Info found! )

On the subject of awesome video's, I had this exact dream last night :?
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:24 pm

doglips wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:New Mates Of State video Get Better

Awesome, more info please! Do they have an LP yet?? ( edit - Info found! )

On the subject of awesome video's, I had this exact dream last night :?

Yeah I am totally lookign forward to more Mates Of State!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby doglips on Tue May 20, 2008 7:04 pm

Hot damn, Ms Marnie is teh hotness!

Good video, not what I was expecting from the album cover.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby TonyWilson on Tue May 20, 2008 7:11 pm

Cool tune and Marnie is gorgeous but the video is a bit of a Street Spirit rip off.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby magicmonkey on Tue May 20, 2008 8:57 pm

Nice tune, looking forward to that album.

How is Santogold doing in the UK?

I like this video of hers.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby The Vicar on Wed May 21, 2008 6:16 pm

I'm not sure if it's art,
but I fucking like it.

Now THAT'S a music video...

there was music, right?
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby papalazeru on Wed May 21, 2008 6:20 pm

Because my thread got locked, and I believe it deserved it's own thread for the heap of praise it's going to get...

Tatu get their kit off in Belly Palschik NSFW! (mm edit)

Oh my god, the red head is so fine it's incredible.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby DennisMM on Wed May 21, 2008 7:50 pm

The sex appeal isn't nearly enough to offset the pretentious tedium, IMO. What ever happened to three-minute pop singles?

They're pretty women, though.

The Santogold was interesting, but it took half the length to become interesting. Yah, I'm impatient in my old age.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed May 21, 2008 8:09 pm

DennisMM wrote:The sex appeal isn't nearly enough to offset the pretentious tedium, IMO. What ever happened to three-minute pop singles?

They're pretty women, though.

The Santogold was interesting, but it took half the length to become interesting. Yah, I'm impatient in my old age.

Dennis needs instant gratification when it comes to his music hehe.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby DennisMM on Wed May 21, 2008 8:33 pm

"Instant gratification is too slow."
- Carrie Fisher
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Wed May 21, 2008 10:40 pm

papalazeru wrote:Because my thread got locked, and I believe it deserved it's own thread for the heap of praise it's going to get...

Holy Shit, Vodka does the body good.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed May 21, 2008 11:08 pm

papalazeru wrote:Because my thread got locked, and I believe it deserved it's own thread for the heap of praise it's going to get...

Yummy Yummy ;)
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed May 28, 2008 5:35 pm

Schwarzenegger and Ratatat... yes please

Ratatat - Mirando
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:51 pm

number97 wrote:The Old 97s shot a music video for "Dance With Me," the lead single from their just-released album "Blame It On Gravity" last weekend in Los Angeles - and guess who has the starring role? That's right, Number 6!

The video features a schlubby Seth Rogen-antihero type, wearing a "Frack Me" t-shirt, trying to get into a nightclub after he sees Tricia Helfer go in. He's turned away, but then turns into a hilarious James Bond kung-fu dude, laying waste to all the security guys trying to stop him. Does he get the girl in the end?

Great video, and great song too!

I couldn't find the video but the song is available here
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:39 pm

I wonder if he knows the Old 97's? I wonder if he is watered regularly at their house?
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Re: Music Videos

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:01 am

Old 97's Dance With Me
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby buster00 on Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:37 pm

Please enjoy Russian metal band ANJ in the video for "Gorbachev."

"In this awesome video for the song “Gorbachov” by Russian metal band ANJ, former Russian Prime Minister Mikhail Gorbachev is an axe-wielding barbarian, destroying zombies who attack the hard working big breasted women of Mother Russia. It really is a thing of beauty. Actually it’s more than that. It’s the best damn music video ever created."

-- IHeartChaos.com
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby gollumstar on Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:35 pm

Interesting video...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7m5vt07W2n4

Where my bees at? 8-)

SFG MOD EDIT: Merged from General Interest
gollumstar
GLIB

Postby King Of Nowhere on Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:55 pm

Holy fucking shit: Bohemian Rhapsody, Mario Paint version.

I'm in awe.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby supersoad1 on Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:08 pm

What do you think about film directors making the cross over to directing music videos for bands? I think if they can get away with it and do an amazing job for a popular well known artist then more power to them. I actually just read that Joel Schumacher directed the Scars On Broadway new video for their song World Long Gone. It looks like it will be a very interesting video and the music is really good too. Check out some info on it at http://www.scarsonbroadway.com/news/det ... ?nid=16193.

Sam
UMGD

SFG: Merged from its own topic
supersoad1
GLIB

Postby DerLanghaarige on Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:21 am

DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Hermanator X on Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:36 pm

You cant get much fresher than this Vid

Mr Scruff - Music Takes Me Up

I highly recommend the new album "Ninja Tuna" too.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby james van der beek on Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:27 am

"Bobby you are 17, it’s time to throw childish things aside" and I said "OK Pop", but he didn't really say that he said that "Stop being a fucking dinosaur and get a job".
james van der beek
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Ribbons on Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:44 am

I thought this video was kind of cool: Oren Lavie - Her Morning Elegance

It's like live-action stop-motion on a bed
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Maui on Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:20 pm

Although the movie isn't worth renting on DVD, in my humble opinion, this little number in "Yes, Man" really steals the show.

Featuring the very lovely chanteuse Zooey Deschanel and San Fran's very own Von Iva (electra soul punk group).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DbaJgSkDVg
Maui
WoWie

Postby DerLanghaarige on Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:50 am

Some animated, dark humored goodness: Tally Hall - Hidden In The Sand
Directed by Steve Loter, who also worked on the animated Clerks show and directed most episodes of Kim Possible.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby DerLanghaarige on Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:26 am

I just love Deichkind. They made ONE pretty melancholic and serious song (which is even sadder if you keep in mind that their producers died a few weeks ago) and make a fucking hysterical video for it. Deichkind - Luftbahn
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Al Shut on Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:03 am

Have I ever expressed how much your Deichkind love baffels me?
They're just plain terrible.

But nevermind I just wanted to state that once.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby DerLanghaarige on Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:13 am

Deichkind is one of these "Love 'em or hate 'em" cases. :D But I think it's much easier to become a fan of them if you witnessed them live.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Smasher on Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:39 pm

I dig this: The People Tree
Smasher
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Hermanator X on Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:59 pm

DDR 99 Luftballons

Maybe NSFW as it involves people being smothered with voluptuous breasticles, but you can always just listen to the music if you prefer...
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:46 am

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby DaleTremont on Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:59 pm

Space- Magic Fly

Now I get who the Conchords were referencing in that Bowie video! I'm kind of loving this tune, too.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

PreviousNext

Return to Music