Music Videos

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Postby tapehead on Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:59 pm

MonkeyM666 wrote:At least you got to go t the Launch.. I was at work :( That's why I got extra beer :D

I know what you mean. It's a little lesbian rock (maybe because two of them are, and one’s bi), but I've heard it 1000 times and I still don't mind it.
I hear that there getting a fair following in the US these days.

It's funny that you say that the editing style is dated in some parts because I was thinking the same thing when I was encoding it for on here. I never thought I'd look at my own work and think that!

Not a real criticism, It's just that that stuff got so played in commercials, Tv shows, movies, music videos, that I think in the future it's going to make it easy to place in the late 90's, early to mid '00's - I'm guily of using it in heaps of the TVC's I did too.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby MonkeyM666 on Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:05 pm

So then, and this may be the wrong place to chat about this, what do you think the style of the 00's will be like?

I think long shots, grace in composure, big setups with simple cuts. Getting back to basics in regards to editing, but complexity in the setups and use of effects..
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:11 pm

That's a tough question Monkey - these things are easier to see in retrospect. The ADD editing is still prevalent. If I had to pick something to define 'the style of now' I'd probably talk more about hand-held camera technique and 'naturalistic' or 'photorealistic' post production composition and effects.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby MonkeyM666 on Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:20 pm

steady cam stuff... that's true. With the leaps that have happened in weighed camera work in the past ten years a lot of directors would be mad not to use them.

So, would you have the like of Children of Men, BSG, 24 ummm... Thumbsucker (in parts), Prison Break under that list. I'm trying to think of some examples that I haven't seen recently but they escape me for the moment... apocalypto.... there another :)

EDIT: I just wanted to add that all thought I really like HD, and I know it's the way of the future, I don't like the way it looks in cinemas yet. I can always tell when it's a HD movie. Apocalypto is a prime example of this. The decoding gets overwhelmed in immensely detailed scenes (aka the forrest) and there's artifacting. That confounded me about Mel's choice to do to in HD, it's not ready for the jungle...

This may have to move to another Thread... I'm getting way off track again/.... :roll:
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:24 pm

this may well have been posted before, apology made to whoever pleases.

Rian Johnson, writer/director of Brick, made a video for one of my fave songs of 2k6.

Woke Up New

not bad, i liked the supposed seamlessness, the little flourishes like the bopping horse-y, and the final image...not what I'd of done with the song, which sorta screams for a more literal treatment (and I normally loathe literal videos), but i don't get paid for such things, so what do I know...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby magicmonkey on Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:54 am

Candylion

Bringing crafts back!!
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby doglips on Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:03 am

magicmonkey wrote:Candylion

Bringing crafts back!!

Genius....Gruff deserves a lifetime achievement award for services to the obscure. I had not heard this song all the way through and I like it a lot - another album to check out.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby magicmonkey on Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:27 am

thedoglippedone wrote:
magicmonkey wrote:Candylion

Bringing crafts back!!

Genius....Gruff deserves a lifetime achievement award for services to the obscure. I had not heard this song all the way through and I like it a lot - another album to check out.

You'll dig it the most. Lonesome words and Gyrru ,Gyrru, Gyrru are particular standouts.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby doglips on Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:40 am

New M.I.A.!!

Bird Flu - She was right all along, it's a killer.......
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby magicmonkey on Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:44 am

Nice tribute to Lost in there too.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:51 am

thedoglippedone wrote:New M.I.A.!!

Bird Flu - She was right all along, it's a killer.......

She's an acquired taste, and her politics might not chime with a lot of people, but you can't deny her passion. Been reading her sporadic and hilarious blog posts on myspace the other day, she's quite a lady.

(where's the Lost tribute?)
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby magicmonkey on Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:57 am

She mentions watching Lost on cable.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:58 am

Heh, was too busy watching for it I missed that. Her first album was pretty good... weird her website's been offline for so long.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:29 pm

New Air video - love the track... Video here.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DerLanghaarige on Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:44 pm

Reposted:

The weirdest video I've seen for a while:
Die fantastischen Vier - Ernten was wir säen
Directed by the great Zoran Bihac (Zoran on MySpace, Zoran on YouTube
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:23 pm

Murphy wants Sound of Silver to debut at #1, and I'm gonna do my damndest to make sure he gets his wish.

I don't think this video will help his cause much, bit too cheap for the TRL crowd who 'prolly don't grok to sarcasm much, and, yeah, the song does sound a bit too much like "Daft Punk is Playing at My House", but what do you expect from expert re-contextualizers like Murph and Goldsworthy? Blazingly original they ain't, combine the guitar line of "Change" by Killing Joke and the drum line from A Certain Ratio's "Do the Du", add some snarky lyrics and VIOLA!, you've got "Losing My Edge"...but what they do, much like Prince Paul/DJ Shadow/Avalances is take snippets from forgotten songs of the past and make something utterly contemporary, something new 'n fresh and fun.

North American Scum

retro-futurist fun, planting the DFA flag, playing a guitar and getting into cartoon-y fights on the moon.

"Don't blame the Canadians..."
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:28 pm

DerLanghaarige wrote:Reposted:
The weirdest video I've seen for a while:
Die fantastischen Vier - Ernten was wir säen
Directed by the great Zoran Bihac

glad you reposted that, that was six ways to awesome!
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:17 pm

I don't think this has been posted before, but I'm not sure:

Subterranean Homesick Blues
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby doglips on Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:53 am

Now this is genius at work, me thinks - Unbelievable, then hilarious then strangely mesmerising.

Never thought I'd say it, nice one Alanis.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:59 am

thedoglippedone wrote:Now this is genius at work, me thinks - Unbelievable, then hilarious then strangely mesmerising.

I am speechless. What the hell did I just watch? Seriously.

I laughed.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:42 am

Leckomaniac wrote:
thedoglippedone wrote:Now this is genius at work, me thinks - Unbelievable, then hilarious then strangely mesmerising.

I am speechless. What the hell did I just watch? Seriously.
I laughed.

Yep - I can see what she is getting at, and the original track by Fergie is pretty horrible, but I think Alanis has proved yet again she's not quite sure what 'ironic' means, and that copping Tori Amos' style doesn't guarantee cred with the Indie crowd
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Flumm on Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:48 pm

I was gonna put this in the Best of New Music 2007 thread, or pitch up a whole new one entirely perhaps, yet, when it comes down to it, I have to admitt my ego and sense of self isn't nearly as robust as KC's, so I'm in fact unashamedly (...and yet still apologetically...) retreating to the comfort of the Music Video thread...

Not to mention, that these are pretty much the only clips around at the minute, even on the bands own website as it goes, so I thought it was be worth staking a post...

Been spinning it for a while, but for some reason I was hesitant to whole heartedly endorse the record/EP, even if only to myself, yet as the spring weather is unfolding, and several weekss down the line, this thing is still abiding on my tuneputs.

There's something kind of laconic and hipsterishly affirming about them, yet without that patented, wear-it-on-your-sleave hips'duh-douchery that I find often distances me from a considerable amount of bands n' artists, and generally can just get in the way of just making good songs.

And well, to my relucant ears at least, good songs they be...

Land of Talk - Sea Foam

Land of Talk - All My Friends

Bonus Track: Land Of Talk - Summer Special
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:11 pm

Flumm wrote:I have to admitt my ego and sense of self isn't nearly as robust as KC's

i do like myself a bit too much, don't I?

WELL SOMEONE HAS TO!

:cry:
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:47 pm

she's got a bit of a long face, I'm not really keen on the outfit, but she's got that smoky-sexy voice thang goin' on and the video is fun 'n inventive and appears to be done in one shot...

Feist, "1,2,3,4"
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:17 pm

KC, have you seen all those old Busby Berkely Musicals? You do LOVE a choreographed dance routine...
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:18 pm

tapehead wrote:KC, have you seen all those old Busby Berkely Musicals?

perhaps not all of them but certainly most...

tapehead wrote:You do LOVE a choreographed dance routine...

whatta you tryin' to say?

I also like Gladiator movies...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:57 am

Dizzee Rascal, "Sirens"

better version here.

video of the year...up to now, through the rest of this year, and quite possibly next year as well.

some may hate on the sonics, but those retro Rick Rubin guitar stabs coupled with the drums o' death is a sound I'll never tire of...and Diz just rips that tune a new one, easily keeping up with, and, most dizzying (i'm shameless), at times lapping the beat. Could do without the scream-0 bit, but he's still young enough to put up a angry young man front, so I'll give it a pass.

wasn't sure after "Pussyhole", but damn if Maths and English didn't just pole vault to the top of my most anticipated queue...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby magicmonkey on Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:11 am

Nice link KC, Dizzee rasclat is great. Not too much bling either in this teenage ode to paranoia.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby magicmonkey on Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:42 am

I was trying to find a clip of this song in the great "Morvern Callar" for the favourite music in film thread... Alas, I could not, but deigned to post the song here for you delectation.

Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazelwood - Some Velvet Morning
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby doglips on Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:06 pm

Pitchfork have the promo for Bjork's Earth Intruders up. Which is, as you'd expect, totally brilliant - not great quality from the Photobucket player tho'
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:32 pm

magicmonkey wrote:I was trying to find a clip of this song in the great "Morvern Callar" for the favourite music in film thread... Alas, I could not, but deigned to post the song here for you delectation.

Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazelwood - Some Velvet Morning

Okay, that video just ruined my whole perception of Lee Hazelwood. I know that Nancy Sinatra is a stone cold fox, but I've never actually seen a picture of Hazelwood. I've only listened to the songs, and the impression I got from listening to the songs was that Lee Hazelwood is a gritty take no shit badass. I always pictured him as a mixture of Kris Kristofferson and Sam Elliott. Dude looks like Sonny Bono with all the jew sucked out of him.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:37 pm

Retardo_Montalban wrote:Dude looks like Sonny Bono with all the jew sucked out of him.

lash!

my beef with the song is that Nancy's verse just doesn't come anywhere fucking close to touching Lee's. I know the beat and the sonics lighten up a tad when she's crooning, but you got Lee, lamenting his heroin/coke binging, and then that vapid Winslow comes in all "oooh, look, flowers!" {paraphrase}.

still a great track and all, but I always laugh at the incongruity; which, yes, 'prolly is the point, but still...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:16 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Retardo_Montalban wrote:Dude looks like Sonny Bono with all the jew sucked out of him.

lash!

my beef with the song is that Nancy's verse just doesn't come anywhere fucking close to touching Lee's. I know the beat and the sonics lighten up a tad when she's crooning, but you got Lee, lamenting his heroin/coke binging, and then that vapid Winslow comes in all "oooh, look, flowers!" {paraphrase}.

still a great track and all, but I always laugh at the incongruity; which, yes, 'prolly is the point, but still...

Yes, I agree. this is a good song, but Summer Wine perfects the formula.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby magicmonkey on Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:26 am

Retardo_Montalban wrote:
Keepcoolbutcare wrote:

lash!

Yes, I agree. this is a good song, but Summer Wine perfects the formula.

Nice link. But, I disagree, "Some Velvet Morning" is pure filth mixed with an epic fairy dust myth insanity on a heady cocktail of substances. Perfection of tone and timing for me in an epic tale of false naivety and perversion.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:35 am

Some Velvet Morning is a great song and somehow the video doesn't really give the song itself justice. It sounds grander on my headphones at work. I'm pretty sure it's Lee Hazelwoods nerd mug that's tainting the song. It's like how much more I could appreciate "Something Stupid" and "Things" If I didn't know that they were love song duets with Nancy's dad and her dad's best friend. Creepy. I still like Summerwine better though.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby magicmonkey on Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:07 am

IPAMP! I love that section of the Summer Wine vid you posted where it looks like the POV of someone jerky off in some bushes!! Continuing the creepiness factor.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby doglips on Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:17 am

This had me grinning from ear to ear.

Ever wondered how Gondry formulated the equation ( as it were ) for the Chemical Brothers Star Guitar promo?

Now you know.....genius!
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby LaDracul on Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:15 am

Let's see, most of my favorites involved vamps and goth boys. Which single out that one BSB video and Fall Out Boy's "A little less Sixteen Candles, A little more Touch Me".

I like Joseph Kahn's work, because he is an otaku as well. He should've directed "Transformers"...maybe he can do "Death Note" at this point.

But there are some from Japan I love-

Eiji Wentz-Awakening Emotion 8/5-The theme for the "GeGeGe no Kitaro" movie he's in. He's better known for singing pop songs with his buddy Teppei in the band WaT, but this is the stuff I like the best (And yes, he's biracial, if you're wondering.)

X Japan-Celebration-This one reminds me of a Twisted Sister video...only these guys are PRETTY.

Hide-Genkai Haretsu-Sadly, Hide's life ended prematurely after he accidentally strangled himself while drunk. I'm posting this video because I think that this is Jack Coleman from "Heroes" in this video. I'm not sure, but DAMN.
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby colonel_lugz on Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:47 am

thedoglippedone wrote:This had me grinning from ear to ear.

Ever wondered how Gondry formulated the equation ( as it were ) for the Chemical Brothers Star Guitar promo?

Now you know.....genius!

thats good that is
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Flumm on Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:51 am

colonel_lugz wrote:
thedoglippedone wrote:This had me grinning from ear to ear.

Now you know.....genius!

thats good that is

Damn that little crazy, lovable genius...

I'm sure not all is as it seems there, I can't imagine he spontaneously transcribed that whole endeavour in one orgiastic splooge...

Although he is a musician I think, and well, a little, crazey, loveable genius, so who's to say?

Oh, and if you follow that up, he also does a thing where he "solves" a rubix cube with his feet...

And if you then follow that up you also find a 3 (ahem 3ish) year old Chinese girl who apprently does (cgi mini-mits? No, surely not... :? ) actually solve a rubix cube, albeit with her hands, in about a minute and a half.

Which also happens to have one of the most entertaining youtube TB's I've ever read. After a random hijacking of said TB by the always entertain reilgeously zealousful, (who else?) it quickly rights itself again with...

"I wish I had a rubix cube."

I <3 teh interwurls.

And if you follow THOSE up... well, I'm sure you can find out for yourselves. Or not. Either, is there anything more fun than youtube-scatting? I'm not sure there is...
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Flumm on Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:39 am

Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Flumm on Thu May 03, 2007 8:16 pm

Only a novelty video, to be sure, but nevertheless, it made me smile.

Daft Punk Vs The Charleston

And just just because it appeases me to do so, the originals also, pulled from the tubes, in all their unmashed splendour.

The Charleston - Al Minns & Leon James

Daft Punk - Around the World
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Fri May 04, 2007 1:27 am

EDIT: I just realized that Jonathan Coulton was mentioned earlier in this thread!

The Garbage Man wrote:I posted this in the "Your Links - VIDEO" thread, which promptly killed the thing. Perhaps it will rise from the dead, knowing only a gnawing hunger to feed on the flesh of lesser threads?

Jonathon Coulton - "Re: Your Brains"

Song about office zombies? Check.
Well-made fan video? Check.
Teh funneh? Double check.

This one is a novelty item as well. I think it's kind of sweet, and the song is so durned catchy!

"Code Monkey"

The actual video is on the YouTubages as well, but I prefer this one, I think.

Guess JoCo is a big "office humor" type guy. Hearing that other song about zombies actually puts this song into perspective for me. I'd never heard of him three days ago, but he's a pretty clever songwriter. He uses those zombie and monkey metaphors and commits to them! I've never written a song before, but that's got to be kind of difficult. Although, like TGM, I prefer the fan video version.
Last edited by Ribbons on Sun May 06, 2007 1:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby doglips on Sat May 05, 2007 7:23 pm

Tony just mentioned New Young Pony Club in another thread, don't think they'll have really hit stateside yet, so here's exhibit A&B.......

The Bomb

Ice Cream

Both very good songs, I'll be getting the album for sure.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby doglips on Thu May 17, 2007 8:03 pm

Pitchfork have links up to the two songs that Grinderman performed on Jools Holland last week. No Pussy Blues really is excellent, Cave is a fucking animal.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby St. Alphonzo on Thu May 17, 2007 8:38 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:Pitchfork have links up to the two songs that Grinderman performed on Jools Holland last week. No Pussy Blues really is excellent, Cave is a fucking animal.

Hooollleee Sheeeeeetttt!!!! "No Pussy Blues" is the song of the year (at least thus far). The anger Cave projects in that performance is palpable. Incredible.

No way in hell that song gets performed on American television! :) :cry:
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby magicmonkey on Fri May 18, 2007 12:07 am

Cheers for that dog, I missed that show of Jool's when I was back.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri May 18, 2007 12:37 am

This video made me laugh.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Mon May 28, 2007 6:07 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:she's got a bit of a long face, I'm not really keen on the outfit, but she's got that smoky-sexy voice thang goin' on and the video is fun 'n inventive and appears to be done in one shot...

Feist, "1,2,3,4"

Hmmms. Song makes for an interesting companion piece with "Mushaboom"...

Feist, circa \"Mushaboom\" wrote:It'll be many years until the day my dreams'll match up with my pay

Feist, circa \"1, 2, 3, 4\" wrote:1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 9, 10, money can't buy you back the love that you had then

I like the video. Lots of spiffy colors and it does have a nice, playful tone to it. I think I recall an interview with Feist where she mentioned how handsome she thought (director) Patrick Daughters was, but whatever the reason for their renewed collaboration, the end results are always pretty good.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby doglips on Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:46 pm

doglips
MOD FAIRY

PreviousNext

Return to Music