Nirvana

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:58 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:what about his childhood? By all accounts, it was rather...sad.

Not according to Cobain himself, who made mentioned on numerous occasions that he had a great childhood and the problems only set in around the age of about 10.

This is why I love the film About A Son - cos Kurt tells you his story himself, and you get a better feeling for who the man was and what he felt his life was about. And you also see his sense of humour and the fact he was not this depressive moaner everyone paints him to be. True, Cobain was a massive contradiction, but he was compelling all the same and About A Son makes compelling viewing.
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:22 pm

Worst Part's Almost Over wrote:
Keepcoolbutcare wrote:what about his childhood? By all accounts, it was rather...sad.

Not according to Cobain himself, who made mentioned on numerous occasions that he had a great childhood and the problems only set in around the age of about 10.

interesting, 'cuz all the biographical material I've read states explicitly that any notions of an idyllic childhood were dashed at his 'rents divorce, when he was 7.

plus, I thought I remember reading about some childhood disease he had? Which might not make a wee lad unhappy, per se, as plenty of Artiste types (Scorsese comes immediately to mind) were forcibly shut-in as children.

haven't seen ABOUT A SON, so I'm not arguing, just stating what's been written by others...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:16 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Worst Part's Almost Over wrote:

interesting, 'cuz all the biographical material I've read states explicitly that any notions of an idyllic childhood were dashed at his 'rents divorce, when he was 7.

plus, I thought I remember reading about some childhood disease he had? Which might not make a wee lad unhappy, per se, as plenty of Artiste types (Scorsese comes immediately to mind) were forcibly shut-in as children.

haven't seen ABOUT A SON, so I'm not arguing, just stating what's been written by others...

I haven't seen About a Son yet either, KCBC, to my embarrassment as a Seattleite, but your post jives with everything I've heard/read about his childhood. He was sick a lot as a kid, but never with any specific disease that I know of. He had chronic bronchitis and a stomach problem that continued later in life and I don't think was ever diagnosed...
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Maui on Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:24 am

Interesting tidbits on his childhood and upbringing:

http://www.burntout.com/kurt/biography/
Maui
WoWie

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:30 am

I can't believe this:

Kurt Cobain's ashes stolen!!

:evil:
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:11 pm

Worst Part's Almost Over wrote:I can't believe this:

Sold them for dope money.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Re:

Postby Brocktune on Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:25 pm

Retardo_Montalban wrote:
Worst Part's Almost Over wrote:I can't believe this:

Sold them for dope money.

and let me tell you they were better than anything else i have ever put up my nose.

thanks dude!
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: Nirvana

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:03 pm

Nirvana's Reading Festival gig to be released on DVD

Definitely excited. I've wanted to see that for a long time.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:19 am

Reading album/DVD comes out on Tuesday, along with the anniversary re-issue of Bleach which includes a live performance from the era.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:34 am

Peven wrote:
Fievel wrote:

I thought that was kinda cool. :oops:

yeah, it was, and if Cobain hasn't rolled over and buried himself 6 feet deeper over the skank whore he was such a fool for and left behind to raise his kid then fuck him anyway

most over-rated motherfucker of the last 25 years anyway.....

I assume your just being silly with that statement of most-overrated. Considering your rant against Crash being the worst film of the last decade, I could probably come up with 25 musicians over the last 25 years that are more overrated that Cobain (and I'm not a Nirvana lover either, so I'm not defending the dude out of love).

P.S. I would put Green Day on the top of my list!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Peven on Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:53 am

over-rated is the key term. it doesn't matter whether or not you think that Nirvana is better than Green Day, Green Day has never had anything close to the degree of idolization and mythologizing that has surrounded Nirvana since that tool killed himself. Nirvana and Cobain were built up and blown up and ordained as the voice of my generation, something I resented then and still do. then there is the cannononization of Cobain ever since he ditched out on his kid, and the world, which is pathetic, imo. he didn't create shit compared to a lot of other talented songwriters/musicians have that don't get anywhere near the attention or credit. Green Day has never been rated nearly as high, and so imo they aren't as OVER-rated as Nirvana or Cobain

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:55 am

so sorry wrote:
Peven wrote:
Fievel wrote:

I thought that was kinda cool. :oops:

yeah, it was, and if Cobain hasn't rolled over and buried himself 6 feet deeper over the skank whore he was such a fool for and left behind to raise his kid then fuck him anyway

most over-rated motherfucker of the last 25 years anyway.....

I assume your just being silly with that statement of most-overrated. Considering your rant against Crash being the worst film of the last decade, I could probably come up with 25 musicians over the last 25 years that are more overrated that Cobain (and I'm not a Nirvana lover either, so I'm not defending the dude out of love).

P.S. I would put Green Day on the top of my list!

part of the "overrated" tag has to do with how much critical exteem and public reverence they have. i would say green day and cobain/nirvana are pretty close, talent-wise, with nirvana getting the slight edge, particularly in songwriting. but i've never heard green day described as geniuses, voices of their generation, or any of the other over-the-top acclaim that nirvana and cobain were given. if billie joe armstrong were to blow his face off with a shotgun, i doubt there'd be public memorials, even during the height of their popularity. green day has never been a darling of the critics the way nirvana was, though the regard given for american idiot was certainly undeserved. so i would say nirvana is definitely more overrated than green day, not based on their relative talents, but on how they were and still are viewed by critics and the public.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:11 am

Peven wrote:over-rated is the key term. it doesn't matter whether or not you think that Nirvana is better than Green Day, Green Day has never had anything close to the degree of idolization and mythologizing that has surrounded Nirvana since that tool killed himself. Nirvana and Cobain were built up and blown up and ordained as the voice of my generation, something I resented then and still do. then there is the cannononization of Cobain ever since he ditched out on his kid, and the world, which is pathetic, imo. he didn't create shit compared to a lot of other talented songwriters/musicians have that don't get anywhere near the attention or credit. Green Day has never been rated nearly as high, and so imo they aren't as OVER-rated as Nirvana or Cobain

TheBaxter wrote:part of the "overrated" tag has to do with how much critical exteem and public reverence they have. i would say green day and cobain/nirvana are pretty close, talent-wise, with nirvana getting the slight edge, particularly in songwriting. but i've never heard green day described as geniuses, voices of their generation, or any of the other over-the-top acclaim that nirvana and cobain were given. if billie joe armstrong were to blow his face off with a shotgun, i doubt there'd be public memorials, even during the height of their popularity. green day has never been a darling of the critics the way nirvana was, though the regard given for american idiot was certainly undeserved. so i would say nirvana is definitely more overrated than green day, not based on their relative talents, but on how they were and still are viewed by critics and the public.

I respectfully disagree with you two gentlemen... I DO believe that Green Day is idolized and revered, and ARE darlings to the critics. As much as Nirvana? Maybe not*, but close in my book. And since I think Nirvana put out better music (again, not my favorites by a long shot), I'd personally put Green Day higher on my overrated list.

*I forget why I put an asterisk here...I'm sure I had something profound to say.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:41 pm

the only thing i can think is that you may be confusing popularity with praise and acclaim. i've never, ever seen green day given the kinds of accolades that nirvana and cobain got. sure, green day is popular and sold plenty of albums. so did the backstreet boys, but they were hardly critical darlings. green day gets a bit more respect, probably because they're one of the few "rock" bands around that can still sell lots of albums. but do they get called geniuses on a regular basis? no. were they ever referred to as the voice of their generation? never. all this and lots more has been said about nirvana and cobain, and though the natural passage of time has tempered those comments some what, you'll still find plenty of people who still feel that way about them. the few people who might have ever felt that way about green day would probably be embarrassed to admit it now. green day is one of those bands whose fans eventually grew up and wised up and realized they were just a 2nd-rate cheap trick with lame wannabe punk affectations. green day doesn't nearly have the reputation nirvana does, and never did.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:03 pm

Fair enough. I completely agree that GD are not held up as high as Nirvana, but they certainly aren't treated in the same vein as The Backstreet Boys.

Review of GD's 8th album this year, Rolling Stone Magazine
Since Green Day were the Nineties punk brats nobody expected to grow up, everything they do comes as a surprise. What's more bizarre: the fact that they sound so ambitious and audacious on their eighth album, or the fact that they even made an eighth album? Either way, the losercore mutts who crashed the radio in 1994 chanting "I got no motivation," with Billie Joe Armstrong wasted on his mom's couch — they've ended up the last band standing, the ones living up to their era's loftiest ideals and still writing their toughest songs long after they should have landed on Sober House. And they did it with a goddamned rock opera

Sounds like high praise to me.

We could debate the validity of Rolling Stone Magazine's editorial choices next if you'd like! But not in this thread :twisted:
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:38 pm

it's high praise, and certainly higher than what they deserve, but boy, i could pull out any number of nirvana quotes that would make that review sound like peven's opinions on superman returns.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:20 pm

we can disagree about whether nirvana is overrated or not... but i think we can all agree that THIS is awesome.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:32 pm

you heartless bastard

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby so sorry on Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:33 pm

TheBaxter wrote:we can disagree about whether nirvana is overrated or not... but i think we can all agree that THIS is awesome.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:38 pm

Peven wrote:you heartless bastard

i'm never gonna give you up. i'm never gonna let you down.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:28 am

Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:56 am

Older than most of the fans of Nirvana were, and that's probably why he topped himself...well, that are Courtney Whore.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Hermanator X on Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:09 am

papalazeru wrote:

Older than most of the fans of Nirvana were, and that's probably why he topped himself...well, that are Courtney Whore.

Whuh?
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Jazzmaverickjim on Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:47 pm

First Band i got it into, they will hold a special place in my heart.

Courtney Love is a Twat though.
Jazzmaverickjim
GLIB

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:40 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:14 pm

More importantly - Kathleen Hanna, still quite hot indeed. Tells a good story too.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:38 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:31 pm

It's funny. I read that and thought "that just means the bassist showed up." But then before I clicked I thought of Pat Smear. The Nirvana link to the new album is pretty crazy, too.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:01 am

The Foos have been tweeting pics from the studio. I clicked on one of a bunch of people crowding around the console to get a better look when I noticed one of them had a shitty goatee and mustache. "HOLY SHIT IT'S BUTCH VIG!" That was the first I knew he was producing the new album. Thank Bagel no one saw me do that little happy dance.

I was very happy to see "Marigold" on the Foos' live album of the acoustic tour. I had to laugh a little when I heard the record and about 12 people cheer when they start playing it because they were the ones that knew what it was. I had wondered for a long time if Dave would ever play that because I knew he had written it. I saw them twice on the last tour and grabbed some shitty cellphone video of them doing "Marigold" during the acoustic part of the night. I was a very happy Nirvana fan. The riff for "Scentless Apprentice" was Dave's but the lyrics were Kurt's so I wonder if Dave thinks about doing that one too.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:47 am

Nirvana EP To Be Re-Issued

I lucked out and bought my copy in college from a guy who needed some extra cash. Got a really good deal on it too as it was rare even then. Mine is the Japanese version so I have no idea what the liner notes say apart from the random English word inserted into the text.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sun May 01, 2011 5:31 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Hermanator X on Fri May 06, 2011 7:08 am

Quite a nice article on the new Nirvana Exhibit

Good to hear that Novoselic is doing pretty well these days too!
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby tapehead on Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:39 pm

Preview to some magazine article - there's a couple of really cool photos in this gallery.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:19 am

Expanded Version Of Nirvana's Breakthrough Album Planned - 4 CD/1 DVD set to feature rare tracks and an unreleased concert.
Greg Prato wrote:It's rare in rock history that a single album can be pinpointed to as starting off a whole musical revolution. However, Nirvana's 1991 release, Nevermind, is certainly one such album.

Seemingly in the blink of an eye, songs such as "Smells Like Teen Spirit," "Come As You Are," "Lithium," and "In Bloom" were all over MTV, hair metal was flushed down the toilet, and grunge/alt-rock was in.

And on September 20th in America (a day earlier in the UK), a 4-CD/1-DVD "Super Deluxe Edition" of Nevermind will be issued via Universal Music Enterprises.

In an email issued to fans on the Nirvana mailing list, the Nevermind reissue will feature "previously unreleased recordings, rarities, b-sides, BBC radio appearances, alternative mixes, rare live recordings and an unreleased concert in its entirety on DVD." No track listing (or which show will be featured on the DVD) has been given yet.

Since its release on September 24, 1991, Nevermind has gone on to sell 30 million copies worldwide.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby tapehead on Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:54 am

tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:41 pm

Very excited to see the plethora of extras on the reissue. I have to wonder if the unnamed concert on the DVD is the Halloween homecoming show on the Nevermind tour that Geffen recorded but never released.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby theunforgettablefire on Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:23 pm

Pretty stoked about the Nevermind reissue and the official release of 1991: The Year Punk Broke. I wonder if there will be an anniversary reissue in 2013 for In Utero, which is my favourite.
theunforgettablefire
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:57 am

Amazon finally has the super deluxe version available for pre-order. Yep, 1-clicked and will have it at my door on release day. I do have to say I am especially irritated the concert is available separately on Blu-ray instead of having the option to get it in the giant box set I'm paying through the nose for. Could be worse, the anniversary reissue of U2's Achtung Baby comes in something like 6 or 8 versions with the Uber Deluxe set weighing in at a hefty how-big-a-fan-am-I? $650.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:44 am

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:Amazon finally has the super deluxe version available for pre-order. Yep, 1-clicked and will have it at my door on release day. I do have to say I am especially irritated the concert is available separately on Blu-ray instead of having the option to get it in the giant box set I'm paying through the nose for. Could be worse, the anniversary reissue of U2's Achtung Baby comes in something like 6 or 8 versions with the Uber Deluxe set weighing in at a hefty how-big-a-fan-am-I? $650.

Come back and review after you get it.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Hermanator X on Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:35 pm

Thats crazy expensive. £90 in the uk. Was thinking of getting it for my good lady for xmas, but she would murder me for spending that kind of money on it.
edit: I checked. Yup she would have at least kicked me in the balls.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Hermanator X on Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:41 pm

This interview is running tomorrow at 18:00 uk time. You can listen to it here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/bbc_6music

Feeling reaaaaaal old at the album being 20 years old. haha. Turning into my dad. I just hope my son doesnt try and clean the dust of my cds with a wire brush like I did to all his vinyl. Eeeeeeesh.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Fievel on Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:15 pm

Nirvana Live at the Paramount is on Palladia tomorrow (Friday) night at 10pm.
Filmed on Halloween 1991.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby so sorry on Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:44 pm

Fievel wrote:Nirvana Live at the Paramount is on Palladia tomorrow (Friday) night at 10pm.
Filmed on Halloween 1991.

That might be pretty cool to check out.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fievel on Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:25 pm

Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby papalazeru on Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:20 pm

Fievel wrote:Frances Bean Cobain Takes Small Steps Into the Spotlight

:shock: She's... ummm..... kinda purty!

I concur.

So long as she follows in her fathers musical footsteps and not the suicidal ones.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Fievel on Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:49 pm

papalazeru wrote:

I concur.

So long as she follows in her fathers musical footsteps and not the suicidal ones.

...and avoids her mother's altogether.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby DennisMM on Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:19 am

Whether co-written by Cobain or not, Love made some great music with Hole. If nothing else, she leaves behind Live Through This.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:52 am

Fievel wrote:
papalazeru wrote:

I concur.

...and avoids her mother's altogether.

i wouldn't mind if she followed in her mother's acting footsteps. particularly the ones that led her to play a prostitute/porn star and get lots of naked for milos forman.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fievel on Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:15 am

Yeah, I should have clarified: Music and bewbs are good. Making a mess of your life off-camera and away from the microphone is bad.

And Dennis - Hole is an extremely guilty pleasure band of mine.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby DennisMM on Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:16 pm

Guilty pleasure? My gods, man. Okay, apart from Live Through This, they are nothing special. But "Doll Parts"? WOW!
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

PreviousNext

Return to Music