Now Playing

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:22 pm

A greatest hits compilation of Men at Work.

I can't say I can recommend it.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:16 am

Return to Cookie Mountain - I just can't stop listening to this album, so much to discover on every listen. TV on the Radio have really come up with the goods.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby St. Alphonzo on Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:02 pm

"Fairytale Of New York" by The Pogues.

Everytime I hear it, I wonder why I haven't gone out and bought every album in their damn catalogue. Just a fantastic song.
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby Ribbons on Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:47 pm

Thanks for the "Fairytale of New York" shout-out, St. Alphonzo. I checked it out the other day and it's pure sonic-y goodness. :)

The song that just played on my computer is "The Other Way" by Weezer, which I've had stuck in my head for the last few weeks and I'm pretty sure now is my favorite track off their album Make Believe. Mostly because the lyrics touch my inner, dysfunctional emo heart -- at the risk of gettin' personal and stuff, I feel like I can relate to the lyrics and even the ironic-fatalist POV (at times) -- but I also like it because it's kinda catchy. I can't resist the power of the hand claps...
Last edited by Ribbons on Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:07 pm

Ribbons wrote:I can't resist the power of the hand claps...

big time seconding of those sentiments...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Flumm on Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:26 pm

handclaps + irony + genius + handclaps +...uh, france...

=

Camille - Ta Douleur
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby athenabodicea on Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:29 pm

Flumm wrote:handclaps + irony + genius + handclaps +...uh, france...

=

Camille - Ta Douleur

Very cool Flumm....
I love your taste in music.. :)

I only wish I could speak French... lol
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby athenabodicea on Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:36 pm

Oh and my favorite clapping/tapping song....

Iko Iko

Mardi Gras Digest wrote:When there was a pause in one of their recording sessions, the Dixie Cups began a chanting song that they had heard and learned from their mother, Barbara, called Iko Iko. It was a call-and-respond type of chant of a Mardi Gras Indian tribe, back in New Orleans. The Indian chant was first recorded in the mid-Forties.

Leiber and Stoller later overdubbed a bass and percussion, and released it. Again, the chant was sung with some percussion in the background, on ashtrays, and when they recorded it, it became their final top forty record, in the Spring of 1965. Iko Iko was covered by a British female band called the Belle Stars in the 80's, and when this version was used in the movie Rain Man it made a return to the top forty in 1989.

Since the Dixie Cups' run on the charts with the song, some of every body that had a microphone at their disposal has taken a crack at the remake.
Last edited by athenabodicea on Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Flumm on Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:39 pm

athenabodicea wrote:
Flumm wrote:handclap s + irony + genius + handclaps +...uh, france...

=

Camille - Ta Douleur

Very cool Flumm....

Ah, I love that, adds to the mystery. It's like her voice is another intsrument, more so than usuall I mean, and you just have to listen to the intonations, the cadences, the touches of expression...

The album which that is from, is composed of an underlying tone, that goes from track to track, and everything else is spare instrumentaion, and mostly just her using her voice, in various harmonies, beats and improvised sounds...

One of my very favourite artists, she has an amazing range of songs, she really is a crazey genius, in a an escapably French kinda way...

Although I admitt, I do have a kinda thing for for voices/accents/languages, but when it comes down to it, as Ribbons says, you just can't escape those handclaps...
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:43 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Ribbons wrote:I can't resist the power of the hand claps...

big time seconding of those sentiments...

hahaha, I can't help it, man! Seriously, there's something wrong with me where I'm like physically, biologically incapable of disliking a song with catchy hand clapping in it somewhere.

=

Camille - Ta Douleur

:shock:

Speaking of catchy...
That song was really cool, Flummage. Even the whoopie cushion/raspberry sound effect had me bopping my head by the end.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby athenabodicea on Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:47 pm

Flumm wrote:
athenabodicea wrote:
Flumm wrote:handclap s + irony + genius + handclaps +...uh, france...

=

Camille - Ta Douleur

Very cool Flumm....

Ah, I love that, adds to the mystery. It's like her voice is another intsrument, more so than usuall I mean, and you just have to listen to the intonations, the cadences, the touches of expression...

The album which that is from, is composed of an underlying tone, that goes from track to track, and everything else is spare instrumentaion, and mostly just her using her voice, in various harmonies, beats and improvised sounds...

One of my very favourite artists, she has an amazing range of songs, she really is a crazey genius, in a an escapably French kinda way...

Although I admitt, I do have a kinda thing for for voices/accents/languages, but when it comes down to it, as Ribbons says, you just can't escape those handclaps...

Oh... I completely agree...
I felt myself drifting off & wondering what she was singing about...
She sounds so tranquilly content.... I realized (while I was listening to it) that it didnt matter what she was saying at the time... But after it was over, I felt almost empty & wanted more... It was then that I wanted to know what she had said, what message she was sending......
Last edited by athenabodicea on Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Flumm on Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:47 pm

athenabodicea wrote:Oh and my favorite clapping/tapping song....

Iko Iko

Mardi Gras Digest wrote:When there was a pause in one of their recording sessions, the Dixie Cups began a chanting song that they had heard and learned from their mother, Barbara, called Iko Iko. It was a call-and-respond type of chant of a Mardi Gras Indian tribe, back in New Orleans. The Indian chant was first recorded in the mid-Forties.

Leiber and Stoller later overdubbed a bass and percussion, and released it. Again, the chant was sung with some percussion in the background, on ashtrays, and when they recorded it, it became their final top forty record, in the Spring of 1965. Iko Iko was covered by a British female band called the Belle Stars in the 80's, and when this version was used in the movie Rain Man it made a return to the top forty in 1989.

Since the Dixie Cups' run on the charts with the song, some of every body that had a microphone at their disposal has taken a crack at the remake.

:o

OK, I just had Goldie Hawn + Kurt Russel + Romantic Comedy Kookyness = Overboard ...Flashbacks.

My inner child would bet his giant Michealangelo stuffed toy that that's the song that plays over the happy ending credits...
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:48 pm

athenabodicea wrote:

Very cool Flumm....

Heh, yeah, but on the brightside you can tell yourself that whatever they're singing about is really, really important.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Flumm on Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:08 pm

Ribbons wrote:

=

Camille - Ta Douleur

:shock:

Speaking of catchy...
That song was really cool, Flummage. Even the whoopie cushion/raspberry sound effect had me bopping my head by the end.

Ah, cool. :)

You never know when you put something out there on teh airwaves, especially when it's from the more eccentric n' colourfull edges of your geek pallete, whether the public are gonna see the same things in that you do. So I'm glad you were able to tune in today, and both got something from it. That's what we're here for, that's what it's all about. Beautiful. Anyhoo, we're running out of time here, Wacky Wally and the Major are up next with the four hours of friday funtime frolics, I can hear the fun parade rolling up as we speak, so be sure to set your alarms for this time tommorow, when we'll be playing guess what colour my Koala cardigan is, and I'll be giving away 3 personalised dayglo swatch watches...

*jape filled jingle*

(OK, if it helps you visualise the true meaning of what language I speaking in there at all, I just said that all that in flouent CheeseyRetro PoptasticlisciousDaytimeRadio-ese)
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:13 pm

while we are on the subject of frenchies and music....

are there any other serge gainsbourg fans in the house?

gainsbarre es tres bien, no?
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby magicmonkey on Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:21 pm

Ah oui, oui, j'ai ecute Serge dans le chambre avec mon amour.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Flumm on Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:22 pm

*long languorous groans*

No, no, I jest. How funny I am. Infact, all jesting aside, I agree with you brock, the sensual side of europop is something to behold, and most worthy of the serious music listeners most avid attention...

(although possibly NOT if one was at WORK)
Last edited by Flumm on Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby magicmonkey on Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:31 pm

Au secours! ne pas travaille amie! Le homme est au naturale! Le dong... merde.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby BuckyO'harre on Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:35 pm

~
Last edited by BuckyO'harre on Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Flumm on Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:41 pm

Yeah, man bum, man bum, all I ever hear from you lot is man bum. What about the finer things in life? What about the music? Aren't we living in a more open, free thinking, modern enlightened society now? Must I constantly be striving to pull your filthy minds from the dark ages? Sacro bleurgh! Oust EST the love, non?
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby BuckyO'harre on Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:08 am

I'm sorry dear flum-flum. To make amends, I present...

The Glass Armonica!

Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby magicmonkey on Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:18 am

Guys, guys, guys, when it comes to moving euro pop which involves wiping tears away from ones eyes, we need only to refer to this.

That leather hat is enuff to trigger me off...
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Flumm on Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:43 am

(ipampilash!)

Culture prevails!

I knew there it was a mistake to undestimate the erudition of my fellow high browed Zoners. Just as I was about to go and slink of to bed, to the now playing sounds of Elliot smith n' No Name No5, too...

Oh, actually, I might do that anyhows.

So, seeing as we inhabit three different continents, and it beeing really kind of late in my one, I bid you a warm, intercontinental farewell...

Untill we meet again, gentlemen!

Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:25 pm

that gunther video is the funniest thing i have seen all day!!
he cant be serious, can he?

thanks for that, flumm.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:45 pm

DJ Shadow, The Outsider.

Seek, and ye' soul shall find.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby St. Alphonzo on Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:47 pm

"Scooby Snacks" by Fun Lovin' Criminals.

I'm not proud. I'm just sayin'...
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby Flumm on Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:08 pm

Interesting you say that Phonzo...

I was thinking to myself, what kinds of results would come up if that whenever this thread was bumped, and if you were to read it, you would somehow be compelled under martial law, to unbiasedly state which song you were listening too, without any peer pressure type filtures clogging one's capacity for typin truth...

I know myself, I've hesitated before on occasion, it might be intersting to see if the range of songs were to change at all..

Which is all genuine, if implausable to practise brain fizz that crossed my cranium, but also, not least here expressed so I could avoid typing what I was just listening to...

Now playing is...

Jimi Hendrix - Little Wing

(phewz0rz!!1)
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby darkjedijaina on Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:43 pm

Headspace - Velvet Revolver
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby St. Alphonzo on Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:10 pm

Flumm wrote:Interesting you say that Phonzo...

I was thinking to myself, what kinds of results would come up if that whenever this thread was bumped, and if you were to read it, you would somehow be compelled under martial law, to unbiasedly state which song you were listening too, without any peer pressure type filtures clogging one's capacity for typin truth...

I know myself, I've hesitated before on occasion, it might be intersting to see if the range of songs were to change at all..

Which is all genuine, if implausable to practise brain fizz that crossed my cranium, but also, not least here expressed so I could avoid typing what I was just listening to...

Now playing is...

(phewz0rz!!1)

I like that idea! We'd finally learn of Brock's secret love of all things Donna Summer, that KCBC harbors a secret man-crush on Clay Aiken, and that Sepp's got an iPod filled with Polka versions of heavy metal classics.

Oh and funny you should mention Jimi... right now I've got "Gypsy Eyes" on.
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby doglips on Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:46 pm

St. Alphonzo wrote:
Flumm wrote:Interesting you say that Phonzo...

Now playing is...

(phewz0rz!!1)

I like that idea! We'd finally learn of Brock's secret love of all things Donna Summer, that KCBC harbors a secret man-crush on Clay Aiken, and that Sepp's got an iPod filled with Polka versions of heavy metal classics.

Oh and funny you should mention Jimi... right now I've got "Gypsy Eyes" on.

I am honestly listening to the Illustrious Patient Zero - Blanket Alert. 70's ghetto funk-cops 'n' dealers spliced with an aces seattle drenched solo. BADASS!
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby St. Alphonzo on Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:57 pm

Nice promo for one of our own!

I just pulled up Patient Zero's (PZ.... hmm...) "Soft Spoken" This has a great Floyd meets Faith No More freakout right in the middle.

Hey Brock, you need to get a gig up here in Stumptown!
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby Brocktune on Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:19 pm

:oops:

you guys

you are making me blush.

i would love to get a gig up there in Stumptown. in fact, the only reason i havent yet, is because both my manager, AND my agent both seem to have personal beefs with that town. they never told me why, but i have been able to gather a few facts.

1. whatever it was, it involved livestock

2. it resulted in the dissolution of three marriages, and at least seven small businesses

3. whatever record they set, apparently, it still stands.

but thats all i know. let me know if you can turn me on to an agent or manager that is less inclined towards illegal varieties of sexual deviance. i think my odds of a triumphant return to stumptown will increase dramatically.

oh yeah, and thanks to flumm's astute observations, it is now safe for me to admit my "summer love" as it were. hey, i dont need no cure. :wink:

seriously though, thanks for your kind words regarding our music, dog and phonzo. it really makes me feel good, and i appreciate that!
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby St. Alphonzo on Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:31 pm

I thought that the acceptance of illegal varieties of sexual deviance was a standard part of any rock 'n' roll mangement contract!

I think I remember that event: The Great Multnomah Street Beaver Buggery of 1986. Yes, it lives on in the hearts and minds of all Beaver Staters.

It's too bad though... I think PZ would go over really well up here!
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby doglips on Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:34 pm

St. Alphonzo wrote:The Great Multnomah Street Beaver Buggery of 1986.

Sounds like a new Sufjan track!
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Flumm on Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:35 pm

*Emilliana Torrini - Unemployed in Summertime*

Man, I live for the day, when one of you guys gets famous, so I can kickback and ... so, erm... so I can feel pure and adulterated, altruistic happiness for the success for my friends!!

*Pulp - This is Hardcore*

Even more jesting aside (man, I need to see someone about clearin that up, mm?), I actually have little experience of playing music let alone hte music industry outside the confines of my house/bathtub, but I'm genuinely crossing my fingers for you dude...
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:37 pm

and here i thought that all of those "beavers" that they kept referencing were actual human female "beavers" not real fucking beavers! ye gods, what kind of buggery and debauchery have they been up to all of these years? and why the fuck havent they asked me to join in? blackballing bastards. you know, i always suspected that they never really liked me.

and hey, who knows. maybe if enough people in stumptown heard it, perhaps that could be the catalyst that begets that gig. it doesnt sound too likely, but you never know. but if i happen to be in your neck of the woods, ill give you a free private performance! and no, that is not some kind of veiled sexual reference. i prefer to keep all sexual references as unveiled and public as possible.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby St. Alphonzo on Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:38 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:

Hey, he's gotta have an album called Oregon sooner or later! :D

EDIT: Damn, that was funny, Dog! I'll be chuckling about that all evening!
Last edited by St. Alphonzo on Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby St. Alphonzo on Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:42 pm

Brocktune wrote:and hey, who knows. maybe if enough people in stumptown heard it, perhaps that could be the catalyst that begets that gig. it doesnt sound too likely, but you never know.

Considering what passes for "radio" in Portland (mostly ClearChannel and the rest of their pre-programed, lifeless ilk), I wouldn't count on it. It's odd though, 'cause we do have quite a good music scene here!
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby doglips on Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:43 pm

St. Alphonzo wrote:
thedoglippedone wrote:

Hey, he's gotta have an album called Oregon sooner or later! :D

Too true, I'm listening to The Avalanche as we type, pretty good. The retreads of Illinoise tracks are interesting - the instrumentation harks back to Seven Swans and A Sun Came. The unreleased tracks are all great - really inventive.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby St. Alphonzo on Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:49 pm

I haven't heard The Avalanche yet. I'll have to check it out. The dude is certainly prolific... he's putting out a new album in the time it takes me to brush my teeth.

And they're all good albums!

Right now: "Last Great American Whale" by Lou Reed
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby Brocktune on Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:38 pm

has anybody seen THIS?

the reason i am posting this in the "now playing" thread, is because this song has been "now playing" in my fucking head for the last week nonstop.

it might freak you out at first. y'know on account of the crrepy interweb weirdos (like us?). but the song is actually pretty catchy. and someon dropped some dough on the recording of both the song, and the video. anyway, im keen to find out what others think.

the tron guy is my favorite.
and i can prove it!
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:42 pm

That is too much. I've been to that Peter Pan guy's site. I guess they're all Intarweb celebrities, but I don't recognize most of them.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Flumm on Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:50 pm

That is too much, of what, I'm not sure.

You know, I thought as it was loading, that the lead lady was actually Mat Lucas of Little Brittain in drag.

How wrong I was I? :oops:

Nice find, Brock. :lol: :wink:

EDIT: *Talking Heads - Once in a Lifetime*
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby darkjedijaina on Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:02 pm

My Chemical Romance - To The End.

i've been listening to stuff that i listened to during that dark time in my life, since i'm writing my screenplay about it. and...well, wow. music just brings emotions back.
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby TonyWilson on Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:46 pm

I'm going to have to break the rock cycle.

Boy From School - Hot Chip. And very fine it is I must say too.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Brocktune on Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:19 pm

good call, tony.
how about some overly western influenced hip hop from around the world?

Homemade Kazoku - "Ai Kotoba"

yes, i am listening, not to just that song, but the entire record, right now.

it just so happens that ai kotoba is the song that is on right this second.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:31 pm

Brocktune wrote:good call, tony.

Oh man that was cool as fuck. Excellent choice Reverend. It's on the "must get list" as we speak. Nice one.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby athenabodicea on Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:34 pm

Brocktune wrote:good call, tony.

That was definitely very cool....

It had me moving in my seat....
Do you like the entire album???
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Flumm on Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:35 pm

Sigh, you know, when Japan eventually goes godzilla and tries to take over the world, (like we know they all will), when they come knocking on MY door, I'm just gonna role over like a little caucasion shitzu and yelp for more.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:42 pm

athenabodicea wrote:That was definitely very cool....

It had me moving in my seat....
Do you like the entire album???

surprisingly, yes.

there are a couple of weak tracks, but overall, its a pretty good record. especially as far as japanese hip hop (or "j-hop" as many call it) goes. a lot of it (not like i have heard anywhere close to "all" of it) is pretty weak. too much emphasis is put on copying the clothes, and the "style" of a lot of weak american hip hop, instead of the focus being on the quality of the beats and the rhymes. but on this homemade kazoku record, there is a very strong and genuine love for the music that goes along with the rhymes, and it shows. less style, more substance. although, if you have watched the video, its obvious that there is still a great deal of westernization there. but trust me, it could be a lot worse.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

PreviousNext

Return to Music