Now Playing

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Postby tapehead on Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:30 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Elliot Smith. Figure 8.

Chrishte I find this guy so hard to get into.

tried XO?
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:53 am

What is XO like? I want something a bit more quieter than Figure 8, more along the lines of the ballady moments of Good Will Hunting.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby tapehead on Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:03 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:What is XO like? I want something a bit more quieter than Figure 8, more along the lines of the ballady moments of Good Will Hunting.
b - perfect - that's where those tracks are from, If I recall correctly.

edit: nope, Roman Candle
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby mistertim on Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:12 am

Q and not U - No Kill No Beep Beep
"That's why they sent me I am an expert."
mistertim
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:21 am

?????????

Oh, and I just played some Itunes Store samples of XO. I'ts pretty good. Not that attention grabbing but still, the chilled out easy going acoustic sound that I want. Any other recomendations? Bright Eyes' stuff too?

Oh, and I'm playing the Superman The Movie double disk CD. The Flying Sequence might well be my favourite.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby tapehead on Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:28 am

As far as Bright eyes goes - I only really like digital ash in a digital urn

I reckon XO is Smith's most accesible
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:50 pm

If you're looking for mellow acoustic Bright Eyes stuff, check out I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning. There are some decent songs on Digital Ash in a Digital Urn as well, but it sounds like how you'd imagine with that title.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby mistertim on Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:10 pm

Gladys Knight and the Pips - Midnight Train to Georgia
mistertim
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby sleepflower on Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:13 pm

Currently have the new klaxons album playing finally. Less mental than I expected. The first track 'two recievers' is particularly more chilled and amazing melody.

Not enough rave in nu-rave? Who cares.
The Noblest Pleasure is The Joy of Understanding
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:18 pm

sleepflower wrote:Currently have the new klaxons album playing finally. Less mental than I expected. The first track 'two recievers' is particularly more chilled and amazing melody.

hey, ME TOO!

i haven't liked what i heard of 'em so far, think nu-rave is one of the weakest names for a "scene", like, ever, but I'm not despising this as much as I thought I would...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby mistertim on Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:27 pm

sleepflower wrote:Currently have the new klaxons album playing finally. Less mental than I expected. The first track 'two recievers' is particularly more chilled and amazing melody.

Was listening to it at work the other day... not bad, I guess, but I still don't understand what's so special about them...
mistertim
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby tapehead on Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:32 pm

- Atlantis to Interzone caught me too many times out drunk or otherwise intoxicated in London clubs and bars in '06 for me not to have danced to it and grown to like it, heard about half the album properly, and might go further in.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby sleepflower on Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:41 pm

playing a dj set at durr monday night.

not so special i guess, just good, and really fun to get into.
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:47 pm

Gorillaz - "El Mañana"

sleepflower wrote:playing a dj set at durr monday night.

How'd the set go, sleep?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby doglips on Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:42 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
sleepflower wrote: Currently have the new klaxons album playing finally. Less mental than I expected. The first track 'two recievers' is particularly more chilled and amazing melody.

hey, ME TOO!

i haven't liked what i heard of 'em so far, think nu-rave is one of the weakest names for a "scene", like, ever, but I'm not despising this as much as I thought I would...

I think it's pretty good, I didn't have high expectations, but after a few listens some of the tracks are growing on me.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:05 am

Is it worth buying? I mean, I've heard a couple of the tracks... the first, the single's pretty good... the guys themselves are pretty dull in interviews, but naturally iTunes only gives small samples.

Menomena's in the post today. There's also some band plastered all over the tube, picture of a skull, that's apparently like Radiohead, but for the life of me can't remember the name to try them out. Ideas?

Nu-rave is a SHIT label. They're no different technically from any other bands out there right now.

edit - wouldn't you know, the Menomena album just got through the post! And reminds me why I love physical CD's over downloads. Possibly the best packaged CD I've seen in a long time. In fact my favourite packaging ever. And the music's fucking good too.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:01 am

AtomicHyperbole wrote:Is it worth buying? I mean, I've heard a couple of the tracks... the first, the single's pretty good... the guys themselves are pretty dull in interviews, but naturally iTunes only gives small samples.

Well, for pop music ( which is all it is... ) they are trying something different, so all power to 'em, not breaking any real boundaries but the happy hardcore influences they've tried to tack on are pretty quirky. If i'd just listened to The Rapture this would follow well........
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:04 am

Really? Cos I love The Raptures last album, Pieces of The People We Love. Picked it up over xmas cos some of you had been banging on about it, a bit cautious because I remember they used to annoy me on XFM. But you, naturally, were right - it's a great album, I really dig Get Myself Into It.

Menomena's album is fantastic, although I think you already know that. I used to dig the Beta Band, but they got old a bit quick, can't really see that happening here...
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:09 am

AtomicHyperbole wrote:Really? Cos I love The Raptures last album, Pieces of The People We Love. Picked it up over xmas cos some of you had been banging on about it, a bit cautious because I remember they used to annoy me on XFM. But you, naturally, were right - it's a great album, I really dig Get Myself Into It.

Well, in a 'doing stuff round the house in a jaunty fashion' kinda way, yeah, it follows alright.

Menomena's album is fantastic, although I think you already know that. I used to dig the Beta Band, but they got old a bit quick, can't really see that happening here...

Not got it yet, actually.......
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:18 am

I tihnk you can hear the entire thing online. Gimme a mo to dig up a link...

(how did you guess I wash up to Pieces Of The People We Love? ;) )
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:20 am

AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:22 am

Cheers. I'll give it a listen.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby sleepflower on Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:47 pm

Ribbons wrote:Gorillaz - "El Mañana"

sleepflower wrote:playing a dj set at durr monday night.

How'd the set go, sleep?

Unfortunately I had to work until about 1am, so no dj set for me :(

However, they are playing a set t turnmills I should be going to. Details in the gig thread (or PM me)

Rapture are ok, fairly good album just didn't really capture my heart I'm afraid.
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

Postby sleepflower on Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:52 pm

Listening to the menomena album link. I am enjoying it, but the album goes into it's flow so quickly. Not sure it works yet. Love the music, but album wise I will decide after a couple of listens.

Listening to the Jeremy Walmsley album I got through the post next. Folktronica ( I hate labels but I'm a lazy writer). He is fntastic and realy speaks from a geeky (in a good way) heart bout life and love, not too pretentious or self important. Hope others can relate. He has a myspace that is his name.

Also he produced a girl named emmy the great. She also is on myspace and has an amazing song cally edward is deadwood. All in this thread should listen to that song. Complete beauty.
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:59 pm

Last part of Blood on the Tracks - again.

Hey, you asked!!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:18 pm

sleepflower wrote:Listening to the menomena album link. I am enjoying it, but the album goes into it's flow so quickly. Not sure it works yet. Love the music, but album wise I will decide after a couple of listens.

Listening to the Jeremy Walmsley album I got through the post next. Folktronica ( I hate labels but I'm a lazy writer). He is fntastic and realy speaks from a geeky (in a good way) heart bout life and love, not too pretentious or self important. Hope others can relate. He has a myspace that is his name.

Also he produced a girl named emmy the great. She also is on myspace and has an amazing song cally edward is deadwood. All in this thread should listen to that song. Complete beauty.

I utterly love it, but I get what you mean. Reminds me of The Beta Band in that respect where the immediacy can be a bit off putting. Personally it works for me, they kinda challenge conventional rythym enough by wrapping tunes and tempos around eachother to create some beautiful work.

Got The Klaxons today. Nu rave my ass, but I do like what I've heard. Need it to settle first!

Still going back to Return To Cookie Mountain. Yay for Wolf Like Me.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby sleepflower on Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:26 pm

Indeed, very little rave, though I think it was produced by erol alkan, who is a joy division fan (tim am I right?)

As for tunes wrapping, you like mansun - six. best album ever I think. Forget the other mediocre outings they did.

I must listen to tv on the radio I like what I heard so far.
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:28 pm

I saw Mansun on the Attack Of The Grey Lanterns tour. Talk about an underrated band.

That said, I phased off them in my Uni days, so I never gave Six a try. Still, Attack is pretty damn good if I recall and I want to revisit it. It's got THAT opening! Orchestrated, beautifully done, and it's a fucking concept album. In the mid nineties, a beautiful thing.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby sleepflower on Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:42 pm

I have six if you want to borrow it and is far far far superier to grey lantern. 30 pieces of music formed to create about 12 tracks. Apparaently influenced radioheads adventures after ok computer to be more experimental. No link, but it was in a thom yorke interview. I also have the kleptomania, unfinished 4th album. they dislike their own 3rd attempt, too commercial. The album I have has sleeve notes for eery song. Very insightful and back to trying something different.
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:30 pm

Ryan Adams - Love is Hell.

This MIGHT be growing on me. Didn't like it on first quick listen. Doubt it'll be as good as Heartbreaker though, but that is still growing too, so who knows?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby mistertim on Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:13 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Ryan Adams - Love is Hell.

This MIGHT be growing on me. Didn't like it on first quick listen. Doubt it'll be as good as Heartbreaker though, but that is still growing too, so who knows?

Not too keen on either of the 'Love Is Hell' albums, apart from perhaps his cover of wonderwall. Do you have 'Gold'? I like that one, although mainly for sentimental reasons.
mistertim
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby mistertim on Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:41 am

sleepflower wrote:Indeed, very little rave, though I think it was produced by erol alkan, who is a joy division fan (tim am I right?)

Produced by James Ford (of Simian Mobile Disco) and (i think) Erol.

I listened to it yesterday, and while they've got some catchy melodies, I'm afraid I really wasn't over-impressed. The production suffers in the same way as the Bloc Party records - heavily compressed and bass heavy (Didn't you post a link to an article about this a while ago Tony, 'the curse of loudness' or something?) with very little dynamic variation. In addition, I think the songs themselves are pretty simple, and don't really show great abilities as songwriters (good melodies, and some pretty witty lyrics, yes.. but the arrangement is sorely lacking. The same three chords and syncopated bassline turn up time and time again).

I think that this is a pretty good illustration of an attitude which i think is prevalent among hipster-indie-kids (eurgh... but i can't think of a better term), that holds that dance music is by definition 'simple', or 'stupid', and must therefore be really easy to do, therefore they all form bands which are influenced by dance music, as it is percieved as being 'easy' (as well as currently fashionable).

The trouble is, that most really great dance music is *not* simple, or stupid... it can be increadibly complex and sophisticated stuff. Even concentrating on recent acts - stuff from Ellen Allien and Apparat, Herbert and LCD Soundsystem (sorry, but this is a pretty electro-centric list) has shown that dance music is capable of having as much subtlety and intellegence as 'guitar' music. Even more dancefloor-friendly (and less german-beardstroker-friendly) acts like Justice and MSTRKRFT have also shown that dance music can be pretty sophisticated stuff.

Therefore, the watered down simulations of dance music (based on the notion that dance is somehow mindless and vacuous) which are peddled by Klaxons, Shit Disco, and the like really don't cut it for me any more, sorry.
mistertim
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:18 am

Bass-heavy? Not enough bass for me! Then I play bass, so I'm gonna be that way. Like I said elsewhere, after the fourth track it all blends in. Can't remember anything about it even now. Except some annoying verse about rowing seven miles repeated endlessly. Klaxons say they're nu-rave but other than some... er... klaxons on the second track, I see no similarity. They're a reasonably solid guitar act, and I prefer The Rapture.

Dance music is such a wide label... it embraces stuff by my fave DJ Shadow, Aim, early Goldie, Bonobo, Cinematic Orchestra, Boards Of Canada... Klaxons have a couple of tracks which people can do big fish, little fish, cardboard box but it's still predominantly indie rock and doesn't go far enough INTO dance music to be part of that genre, not by seven miles.

Hell, even NiN is dancier.

@Sleep - would be interested in hearing it!
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby mistertim on Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:28 am

AtomicHyperbole wrote:Dance music is such a wide label... it embraces stuff by my fave DJ Shadow, Aim, early Goldie, Bonobo, Cinematic Orchestra, Boards Of Canada... Klaxons have a couple of tracks which people can do big fish, little fish, cardboard box but it's still predominantly indie rock and doesn't go far enough INTO dance music to be part of that genre, not by seven miles.

That's exactly my point - There's such a huge spectrum of electronic / dance music out there, so for a guitar band to start pissing around with playing 'let me be your fantasy' on a microkorg and become hailed as a 'groundbreaking crossover act' or whatever is anathema to me.
mistertim
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:33 am

mistertim wrote:
AtomicHyperbole wrote:Dance music is such a wide label... it embraces stuff by my fave DJ Shadow, Aim, early Goldie, Bonobo, Cinematic Orchestra, Boards Of Canada... Klaxons have a couple of tracks which people can do big fish, little fish, cardboard box but it's still predominantly indie rock and doesn't go far enough INTO dance music to be part of that genre, not by seven miles.

That's exactly my point - There's such a huge spectrum of electronic / dance music out there, so for a guitar band to start pissing around with playing 'let me be your fantasy' on a microkorg and become hailed as a 'groundbreaking crossover act' or whatever is anathema to me.

I agree and nod my head sagely whilst smoking a pipe to The Orb's Little Fluffy Clouds.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby sleepflower on Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:54 pm

For the record I do not think in any way that the klaxons album is a dance record. I also agree NIN is dancier!

At the moment just listening to that Mika album, saw it in the shop and thought I would give it a go (know nothing about it). I like it so far (3 tracks in). Reminds me a little of spacehog.
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:01 pm

mistertim wrote:an attitude which i think is prevalent among hipster-indie-kids (eurgh... but i can't think of a better term)

Hindies?

mistertim wrote:can be increadibly complex and sophisticated stuff. Even concentrating on recent acts - stuff from Ellen Allien and Apparat, Herbert and LCD Soundsystem (sorry, but this is a pretty electro-centric list) has shown that dance music is capable of having as much subtlety and intellegence as 'guitar' music...Therefore, the watered down simulations of dance music (based on the notion that dance is somehow mindless and vacuous) which are peddled by Klaxons, Shit Disco, and the like really don't cut it for me any more, sorry.

well said.

add !!! or chk chk chk or however the fuck you want to pronounce it to the more guitar based Hindie guitar bands...

ditto Maxi Gelt! & Playcolt
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby mistertim on Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:15 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:add !!! or chk chk chk or however the fuck you want to pronounce it to the more guitar based Hindie guitar bands...

ditto Maxi Gelt! & Playcolt

Hmm.... I actually don't mind !!!... 'Me and Giuliani Down By The Schoolyard' is one of the better 'dance tracks by guitar bands' I can think of, and their cover of The Magnetic Fields 'Take Ecstacy With Me' is great. I don't really know much more of their stuff though.
mistertim
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:17 pm

mistertim wrote:Hmm.... I actually don't mind !!!... 'Me and Giuliani Down By The Schoolyard' is one of the better 'dance tracks by guitar bands' I can think of, and their cover of The Magnetic Fields 'Take Ecstacy With Me' is great. I don't really know much more of their stuff though.

their new album, Myth Takes, is just as good, if not better, than the new LCD Soundsystem...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:59 am

sleepflower wrote:For the record I do not think in any way that the klaxons album is a dance record. I also agree NIN is dancier!

At the moment just listening to that Mika album, saw it in the shop and thought I would give it a go (know nothing about it). I like it so far (3 tracks in). Reminds me a little of spacehog.

Mika? That weird screeching pedo?

He scares the living shit out of me. Plus he's just redoing Mercury, only through a Playschool filter... you really like that? :shock:
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby sleepflower on Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:09 pm

redoing mercury?

I just think it was a good album.
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:27 pm

I just heard "The Sweet Escape" by Gwen Stefani.

Am I crazy in thinking that this should have been her first single? I much prefer it to "Wind It Up".
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:34 pm

sleepflower wrote:redoing mercury?

Freddie Mercury. ;)

Sorry, the single has been driving me batshit crazy on heavy rotation on the music channels... I utterly loathe it. Funny thing is, on the basis of the single, is the guy is masquerading as different when he sounds like an annoying Queen rerun. That plus the girl is scary.

Then again before that My Chemical Romance's single drove me fucknuts, and now I occasionally stick it on if I'm in the mood. You're not the only person to like Mika who I'd trust on music recommendations, just it's going to take a while for me to feed him through my taste filter...
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:34 pm

Well your crazy in thinking it should have been a single at all. :razz:

I dunno, I kind of like some of her stuff but I'm not suite sure if she's avant-pop or just a bit of a mess.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Brocktune on Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:42 pm

Ribbons wrote:"Wind It Up".

was that the one where she sampled from "The Sound of Music"?

because if so, that song was absolutely atrocious.

on second thought, that song was atrocious, whether or not it is the one you are referring to.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:42 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:
sleepflower wrote: redoing mercury?

Freddie Mercury. ;)

Sorry, the single has been driving me batshit crazy on heavy rotation on the music channels... I utterly loathe it. Funny thing is, on the basis of the single, is the guy is masquerading as different when he sounds like an annoying Queen rerun. That plus the girl is scary.

Then again before that My Chemical Romance's single drove me fucknuts, and now I occasionally stick it on if I'm in the mood. You're not the only person to like Mika who I'd trust on music recommendations, just it's going to take a while for me to feed him through my taste filter...

Isn't ebay great!
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Ribbons on Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:45 pm

Brocktune wrote:
Ribbons wrote:"Wind It Up".

was that the one where she sampled from "The Sound of Music"? because if so, that song was absolutely atrocious.

Aye, that be the one.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:46 pm

@TDLO - Eh? ;) Going to have to explain that one, I just watched Daredevil and my braincells died from prolonged Affleck exposure.

What's your take on Mika, anyhow?
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:52 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:@TDLO - Eh? ;) Going to have to explain that one, I just watched Daredevil and my braincells died from prolonged Affleck exposure.

Having not heard the album ( and not intending to ), I can only comment on the single - which is a pretty good pop song. That's all I got......
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:55 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:
AtomicHyperbol e wrote:@TDLO - Eh? ;) Going to have to explain that one, I just watched Daredevil and my braincells died from prolonged Affleck exposure.

Having not heard the album ( and not intending to ), I can only comment on the single - which is a pretty good pop song. That's all I got......

Maybe prolonged exposure is the only cure. Either I'll end up liking him or poking my ears out with a couple of knitting needles... a good friend who I really, really trust on music seems to be loving the album tons. I was shocked, appalled, and shocked. It's not as if it's the kind of pop, like the Scissor Sisters, that I dig from the off...

The video is utterly nuts, it has to be said. And slightly wrong.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

PreviousNext

Return to Music