Now Playing

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:57 pm

Listening to some of Weezer's aborted "Songs From The Black Hole" album. It would've been awesome.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby mistertim on Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:59 pm

Native Nod - Bread

Any other Chris Leo fans on here? I'm going through a major Van Pelt / Lapse / Native Nod phase after being introduced to them by a friend of mine a few months ago...
"That's why they sent me I am an expert."
mistertim
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:50 pm

heh.

putting "Classical" into my itunes to see whether or not Pavement covered "Classical" (they did!), I, of course, played the Pavement track, never bothering to look to see which song came next...

"Oh Sheila", from Ready for the World.

"like I always say, what's good for the goose is always good for the gander! Oh sailor!"

not a bad slice of mid 80's proto-Prince funk, I must say.

can't for the life of me figure out where I got it from...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:35 pm

Iggy Pop.

A Million In Prizes. Going through The Stooges stages right now.

'NO FUN'! Bit like the Zoners on a Saturday - eh?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby St. Alphonzo on Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:08 pm

James Hunter - "I'll Walk Away". I love that someone is still doing Sam Cooke impersonations in this day and age. This is a great song, and a great album.
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby WinslowLeach on Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:15 pm

T-Rex: Jeepster (awesome tune!)
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:19 pm

Jay-Z - "Public Service Announcement"

"My name is HOV! H to the O-V,
I used to move snowflakes by the Oz."
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby tb_fan6780 on Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:38 pm

Daft Punk - Human After All
www.sookieandkooky.com

Come see the train wreck!
tb_fan6780
GLIB

Postby TonyWilson on Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:40 pm

Andrew Bird - Armchair Apocrypha.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Silent Shout on Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:29 pm

Mogwai - 'Zidane: A 21st Century Portrait'
I just want your music tonight
Silent Shout
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby minstrel on Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 pm

"This Beat Goes On" and "Switchin' To Glide" by the Kings. This twofer is a party-pop masterpiece and takes me back to my youth in Ontario, partying with my cousins in 1980 or so.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Seppuku on Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:42 pm

[My keyboard's fucked- about six keys aren't working, including the comma key- so I KNOW this is gonna take about an hour to put down, but what the hell...]

Just been compiling a psychedelic era compilation for a radio station round here called Radio Reverb, so I've been listening to all these cds over the last day or two looking for stand-out cuts to put in:

United States of America- United States of America (Most of the songs I've put on this comp are full of weird pre-synth background effects, but I don't think any band on here blended them as seamlessly as the USA. I chose Love Song for Dead Che.)

White Noise - An Electric Storm (Chose all eleven terrifying minutes of The Visitations... This song's sort of like a 60's version of Suicide's equally scary Frankie Teardrop. It's about a guy who died in a motorcycle accident who's trying to contact his chick from the dead. So, the Shangri Las' Leader of the Pack on acid then.)

Comus - First Utterance (really freaky folk-psychedelic band who wrote Dionysian paeons to sacrificing/raping virgins in the woods...I think I'll put the track Song For Comus on there. Hard call really).

Silver Apples - Silver Apples/Contact (Really influential primitive electronic duo whose song Dancing Gods made blues artist Taj Mahal declare that he finally understood the meaning of "white soul". Easy pick for me, You And I; though, like all of these albums, damn near every track on there's a keeper).

Pretty Things - Sf Sorrow (Recorded in Abbey Road studios while the beatles next door were cutting Sgt. Peppers; this is one of the first concept albums, but, more than that, is also full of hella memorable songs. Picked She Said Good Morning.)

Morton Subotnick - Silver Apples of the Moon/Red bull. (I love this po-faced early electronic music. To me these songs haven't dated an iota- and even if you somehow got your hands on the weird machines Subotnick used to build these songs, they'd be impossible to recreate. Still not sure which song to pick though.)

Incredible String band - Wee Tam/big Huge (Double album that was fucked with by the studio and split into two separate releases, with ANOTHER album released in-between. Despite the studio fuckery, this is one of the Scottish sitar-driven psche-folk duo's best works. The stand-out track and one of the best songs of the 60's is Maya.)

HP Lovecraft - Hp Lovecraft I/II (Strangely, one of the less trippy bands to come out of the psychedelic movement- well at least considering who they named themselves after. Nevertheless, a few of their tracks did go all the way out there, and I chose their most trippy recording, The Mountains of Madness).

Trees - On the Shore. (I figure after that hour of weirdness, I'll wind the whole thing down with something by this folk band who were blessed with a singer who has the purest voice I've heard in ages. Along with Comus, they're quite an influence on the newer psychedelic folk band, Espers- although I'm thinking Espers' lyrics are more inspired by Trees, seeing as how they're yet to write songs about being raped by Greek Gods. I put the track Polly On the Shore on there).
Last edited by Seppuku on Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:52 pm

What era are these from dude? Are they all 60's psychedelia or other generations? What 60s psychedelic bands/albums could you recommend man. Your above lists sounds well cool. Tell us more about what you're doing there. Oh - Chrishte! Thinking about you in Brighton just brough back a bad memory of how I screwed up trying to chat up a hot redhead magician film extra chick who I met there. Fark it! Why do you do this to me, Sepp??!

I was gonna give you some free commars like here... ',,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,' but now....

Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Seppuku on Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:03 pm

Dude/ just so you know how painful it is for me to reply to you I'm not even gonna repla[e the messed up letters.

I left my laptop out on my 6oat's de[k the other day and...well it got wet. So you know I pretty mu[h deserve all I get. And seriouly/ I pro6a6ly know that magi[ian [hi[k you're talking a6out- sounds like she runs in my kinda [ir[les.

Ah fu[k it/ this post is making wheredidigo sound like Adam 6alm. I'm gonna get a porta6le key6oard I [an plug into my US6 drive soon/ then you'll hear all a6out how I hooked up with a [hi[k who has a 6oat [alled Havo[ (seriously- there are a6out ten 6oats in this part of the Marina with Zoner names).
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:07 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!!! Don't bother fixing your keyboard!! All of the above makes it the BEST - POST!!! - EVAAAAHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A chick with a boat named Havoc!!! It can only end in the er, end of the world!!! Did you kneel before Lol when she took her knickers off? What other Zoner boats are there? Tell me!

Who would like to cum on my boat?!?!

Huh, 'Mr I can pull chicks!' Seppu!! Well, heh, at least I've got some commars and bs and cs. Waddayou got huh??!

Heh like that do ya?! Huuh!? Huuh?!?! Check it out, bbbbbbbbbbb, ccccccccccccc, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, , Eric B is on the cut! Eric B BBBB-BBB-BB-BBBBB,,,,,,,,, B is on the 'C'ut!! (Spelt with a silent 'n')

Yeah, you don't have those letters do ya? Just some silly Havoc harlet!

Btw I nearly got the shit kicked outta me by my GCSE Electronics teacher at school who looks like a ghey ol' Rolf Harris 'cos I was rapping the lyrics, 'Eric B is on the cut! Eric B BBBB-BBB-BB-BBBBB,,,,,,,,, B is on the 'C'ut!!' whilst he was at our desk trying to help us sold some transformers together. Time and sound just froze still when he just looked at me like he was about to kill me for about 2 minutes straight. I proper shit myself.

Damn, I hope he don't hold it against me and lets me pass the exam when I go to take it in a few months.

But seriously though man. I hope you get your laptop sorted and I am sorry that it got screwed up like that. The mourning for a computer that breaks down and the devastation can be even more grieving than when someone dies (unless it's Anna Nicole Smith who deserves every bit of crying over her than anyone else in the history of the universe). I hope you didn't lose too much work or money over it. Just remember, worse things happen at sea, er....

Like Havoc I suppose.

Farking Sperm Whale shagger.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby St. Alphonzo on Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:39 am

TonyWilson wrote:Andrew Bird - Armchair Apocrypha.

Woah, hey... wait a minute!!!!

That's not released yet!!!! How is it?
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby Pacino86845 on Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:46 am

Kristin Hersh - Hips and Makers ... "Your hairdo is evil." LOL
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby TonyWilson on Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:56 am

St. Alphonzo wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:Andrew Bird - Armchair Apocrypha.

Woah, hey... wait a minute!!!!

That's not released yet!!!! How is it?

It's very good. The other stuff I've heard is much more sparse and haunting, this still has the dark edge and ghostlyness but it's a much richer record.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby papalazeru on Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:29 pm

I would never EVER recommend something off of myspace usually but since I'm a big fan of the music.

http://www.myspace.com/hexstatic

and you can check out the rest of their stuff at,

htttp://www.ninjatune.net
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby St. Alphonzo on Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:19 pm

The Decemberists -
"The Island: Come & See/The Landlord’s Daughter/You’ll Not Feel The Drowning"

If you haven't heard The Crane Wife yet... WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU WAITING FOR!!!!! Run, don't walk, and get this album.
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby doglips on Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:18 pm

St. Alphonzo wrote:The Decemberists -

If you haven't heard The Crane Wife yet... WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU WAITING FOR!!!!! Run, don't walk, and get this album.

I got it last week, after seeing it on your 06 top ten.

It is a magnificent record.

Neon Bible is pretty fucking amazing too, as is the Grinderman LP, you'll like that one Alphonzo......
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:27 pm

Have you heard Menomena yet, Dog? You'd love it.
TonyWilson

Postby godzillasushi on Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:04 pm

I picked up Tool's 10,000 Days over the weekend. I have heard the singles many times on the radio but the album never jumped out at me until now.

Let me just say this.....the 4.5 songs that are on the album are fantastic. Lyrically and musically pretty good stuff. I always like that Tool goes through their music with a fine tooth comb.

BUT, its the rest of the album that really bothered me. I feel like I bought half a CD. The lead in tracks and stuff is a little dissapointing for me. When you devote 9 minutes to nothing....it sucks! I didnt know that it was going to be that bad. Obviously Tool does that a lot so I probably should have know better.

But anyway, I wouldnt want to miss out on the actual songs that are there. Its good stuff. Had it been on *gulp* iTunes I probably would have gone that route and just got the songs.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:01 pm

godzillasushi wrote:Let me just say this.....the 4.5 songs that are on the album are fantastic. Lyrically and musically pretty good stuff. I always like that Tool goes through their music with a fine tooth comb.

that's what I've thought about every Tool album I've listened to.

for a "concept" group, they're a singles band.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby St. Alphonzo on Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:12 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:
St. Alphonzo wrote:The Decemberists -

I got it last week, after seeing it on your 06 top ten.

It is a magnificent record.

Neon Bible is pretty fucking amazing too, as is the Grinderman LP, you'll like that one Alphonzo......

I picked up Neon Biblelast weekend, and yes... it's truly spectacular. Better than Funeral I think (and that's sayin' something). I'll check out Grinderman, thanks Dog!
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby St. Alphonzo on Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:14 pm

Oh, and to get back on track:

"Uptight (Everything Is Alright)" by Stevie Wonder

Damn he was amazing in his prime.
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby Flumm on Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:03 pm

This one's dedicated to tehdoglipped one, all the way out there in doglips land...

Sugercubes - Birthday (icelandic demo)
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby magicmonkey on Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:06 pm

Awesome link Flummo, i'll gladly accept it in DL's absence... for now.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby St. Alphonzo on Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:24 pm

Flumm wrote:This one's dedicated to tehdoglipped one, all the way out there in doglips land...

Ah Flumm! Not yet back 48 hours, and already bringing joy to the masses. Great link!
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby doglips on Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:44 pm

Flumm wrote:This one's dedicated to tehdoglipped one, all the way out there in doglips land...

OH FUCK ME!1! YOUR BACK!!!!11!!

I'll be back next week.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby doglips on Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:41 am

Bat for Lashes - Fur and Gold. Great LP, I've been loving the new single 'Prescilla' and the other songs do not disappoint, kinda kate bushy/bjorky - if you like that sort of thing.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby buster00 on Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:15 am

"Aqualung" by Jethro Tull.

Musically speaking, has there ever been a more impacting rumination upon the majesty -- and the menace -- of hoboes?
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby colonel_lugz on Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:15 am

Im now listening to the Back To The Future Soundtrack. I realised that asside from the main theme, all the other tracks are completely interchangable with the Predator Soundtrack. Alan Silvestri didn't branch out as much as he does now
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby godzillasushi on Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:14 am

Hmmm I grabbed a few CD's,

Shinedown - Leave a Whisper
Trapt - Someone in Control
Seether - Disclaimer II
Korn - Greatest Hits

The Korn one is a little dissapointing. Disclaimer II is damn fine. They have a ton of extras and theres some really good songs that werent originally released. (im 3 years late getting it)
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:30 pm

Now Playing: Metal Machine Music by Lou Reed.

Skull hurts so very much, but bodily displeasure be-damned! I love it! Yes, I love it!!! :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :? :o :D
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby TonyWilson on Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:52 pm

Slam - Pendulum

OH FUCK YEH.
TonyWilson

Postby tapehead on Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:55 pm

TonyWilson wrote:Slam - Pendulum

OH FUCK YEH.

Alright - the trio from Perth Australia - you have impeccable taste, Tony.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby TonyWilson on Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:02 pm

tapehead wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:Slam - Pendulum

OH FUCK YEH.

Alright - the trio from Perth Australia - you have impeccable taste, Tony.

I do try.

I didn't know they were from Perth though, figured them to be either english or South American. They DJ'd at Derby Uni's May Ball and they were fucking outstanding, been a fan of Hold Your Colour since I heard Tarantula at some houseparty somewhere.
TonyWilson

Postby tapehead on Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:25 pm

They've been dj ing since at least 2002, and man dude Rob Swire has been on the (massive) Perth Drum and Bass scene for years apparently - it's only the last couple of year's they've played shows with a full band line up. I have a copy of ther first release, Vault. It's clear now they will gradually take over the world - they really are going to rock civilisation.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby TonyWilson on Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:34 pm

"Death Is The Road To Awe" from the Fountain soundtrack.

FUCKING SPINE TINGLINGLY AWESOME.
TonyWilson

Postby Flumm on Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:06 pm

The Pretenders - Precious
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:45 am

"Baby It's You", Smith.

That's a damn fine ditty. I think I kinda slagged on QT's music choices this time 'round, but that tune may be the greatest "find" of his career.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby magicmonkey on Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:46 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:"Baby It's You", Smith.

That's a damn fine ditty. I think I kinda slagged on QT's music choices this time 'round, but that tune may be the greatest "find" of his career.

So, you managed to "aquire" it then?
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:54 am

magicmonkey wrote:So, you managed to "aquire" it then?

I don't have to answer that!

No more questions!
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:01 am

Black Sabbath -

/that is all
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:45 am

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby tapehead on Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:49 am

Snoop Dog - Bitches ain't shit
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby MonkeyM666 on Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:04 am

hehehe.... Winslows ain't shit....

<ahem>

Deerhoof - Friend Opportunity
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:39 am

oh lord, best word filter yet.

"Everybody knows that anything goes with bitches and ho's"
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Sat May 12, 2007 6:31 pm

Cake - The Distance

Old School, baby.
TonyWilson

PreviousNext

Return to Music