Now Playing

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:43 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:Zooey Deschanel anna the M. Ward, eh? I know some of a you putzes, you like a to worship at a the altar of a the Zooey, anna she's a gotta the nice a singing voice a too, no?

The Dino, he caught a little bit of a her performance at a the SXSW, eh?


You were at the SXSW and did not call??!?!



WHY DOES EVERYBODY HATE THE MONKEY... :P
User avatar
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste
 
Posts: 8982
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:49 pm
Location: Samonkey Island

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:45 pm

and just to show the incredible range of this schizophrenic music lover...

A-Trak - "Dirty South Dance"

a 2007 limited release mashup mixtape from the multiple award winning (won DMC championship at 15!) DJ for Kanye.

rather brilliant mix of dirty south raps, indie darlings and electronic bangers.

if you're into this sort of thing (Z-Trip and Girl Talk spring immediately to mind), you'll love it.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
User avatar
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 9407
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:14 am
Location: Blacktionville

Postby Zarles on Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:50 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:and just to show the incredible range of this schizophrenic music lover...

A-Trak - "Dirty South Dance"

a 2007 limited release mashup mixtape from the multiple award winning (won DMC championship at 15!) DJ for Kanye.

rather brilliant mix of dirty south raps, indie darlings and electronic bangers.

if you're into this sort of thing (Z-Trip and Girl Talk spring immediately to mind), you'll love it.


Sounds nice. Where did you pick that up?
User avatar
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 3773
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:52 am
Location: Bringing something to the table

Postby DaleTremont on Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:51 pm

Ventochild's 09_1854-28072002.

Been playing that non-stop. So f-ing good.
User avatar
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson
 
Posts: 3507
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:51 am
Location: Москва, bitches!

Postby tapehead on Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:15 pm

Zarles wrote:
Keepcoolbutcare wrote:and just to show the incredible range of this schizophrenic music lover...

A-Trak - "Dirty South Dance"

a 2007 limited release mashup mixtape from the multiple award winning (won DMC championship at 15!) DJ for Kanye.

rather brilliant mix of dirty south raps, indie darlings and electronic bangers.

if you're into this sort of thing (Z-Trip and Girl Talk spring immediately to mind), you'll love it.


Sounds nice. Where did you pick that up?


@ Zarles, it's on emusic and Insound among other places.

Good tip KC, I loves me a good party mash-up and this is a great one. I happened to read the Pitchfork review on this around a while back and your mention had me searching it out. Lots of fun.
User avatar
tapehead
BALLS!!!
 
Posts: 9427
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:13 pm
Location: OZ

Postby dablunt89 on Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:43 am

sinnerman by nina simone.
It doesn't have to make sense to be intense.
dablunt89
TOMBOY BEANPOLE
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:05 pm

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:04 am

dablunt89 wrote:sinnerman by nina simone.


part of my enthusiastic response for INLAND EMPIRE had to do with Lynch's perfectly timed and judicious use of "Sinnerman" for the finale and end credits.

made the somewhat incomprehensible slog through Lynch's inner psyche well worth it...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
User avatar
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 9407
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:14 am
Location: Blacktionville

Postby Zarles on Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:50 pm

I joined my fellow hipster douchebags and took part in Record Store Day today. I rounded up a bunch of old crap I had to sell (including a Natalie Portman DVD boxed set that a "friend" gave me for my birthday when he got too lazy to sell it himself) and trucked down to Princeton Record Exchange, which is actually a great shop even though it's in fuckin' Jersey. Made a decent haul -

The Bourne Identity DVD
The Bourne Supremacy DVD
International Noise Conspiracy - "Armed Love"
Cypress Hill - "Skull and Bones"
Hot Fuzz soundtrack

The place was PACKED, and I spent a good 90 minutes just poking around the racks. I do far too much music shopping these days online, and it was nice to leave my nerd hole for a while and do something different. I think I have a broken neck from looking at all the bettys, too. Yum. There was this red haltertop with an arm brace that was making me cuckoo.

If it's still Saturday when you read this (or even if it's not), go spend some money at your local record store! Fuck Steve Jobs! Fuck the goddamn internet! Go get some sun on your face, you pasty sumbitch!

:D
User avatar
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 3773
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:52 am
Location: Bringing something to the table

Postby Zarles on Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:20 pm

I can't get teh fuckin' Hot Fuzz soundtrack out of my car's CD player. Just too damn good. Why had I not heard the Fratellis before?
User avatar
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 3773
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:52 am
Location: Bringing something to the table

Postby doglips on Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:25 pm

The Fratellis new single deserves a Pitchfork 'Jet review' LOL. But I was never keen on them anyway.
User avatar
doglips
MOD FAIRY
 
Posts: 6288
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:08 am

Postby Zarles on Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:27 pm

I like 'em. The singer sounds like a cross between John Lennon and the singer from Arctic Monkeys.
User avatar
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 3773
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:52 am
Location: Bringing something to the table

Postby doglips on Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:30 pm

Zarles wrote:I like 'em. The singer sounds like a cross between John Lennon and the singer from Arctic Monkeys.


Check out Tony's link in best new music for Alex Turners new project... If you like Arctic Monkeys and movie soundtracks you'll love it.
User avatar
doglips
MOD FAIRY
 
Posts: 6288
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:08 am

Postby Zarles on Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:38 pm

Well, that was... interesting. I can't say I loved it, but I like the huge musical jump the two of them made to put that together. It's like Soviet propaganda or something. I like my music a little filthier, is all. :)

That live Battles performance Tony linked to is fuckin' great, though. Just got into those guys, too.
User avatar
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 3773
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:52 am
Location: Bringing something to the table

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:45 pm

I am really really loving Late Of The Pier, first time I heard the below track it sounded a bit of a mess, but on the second listen it all fell into place and it's quite awesome.
This is the first song of theirs I heard, and even if you hate it on the first time round give it another go.

Bears Are Coming
User avatar
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow
 
Posts: 9155
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:45 am
Location: A Drained Swimming Pool

Postby WinslowLeach on Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:46 pm

Imagination: Just An Illusion

(you may remember it was featured in the 1986 film F/X)
User avatar
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 4079
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:39 pm
Location: The Deuce

Postby Zarles on Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:54 pm

TonyWilson wrote:I am really really loving Late Of The Pier, first time I heard the below track it sounded a bit of a mess, but on the second listen it all fell into place and it's quite awesome.
This is the first song of theirs I heard, and even if you hate it on the first time round give it another go.

Bears Are Coming


Weirdest. Shit. Ever. I love it!
User avatar
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 3773
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:52 am
Location: Bringing something to the table

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:03 pm

Here's another one, called Bathroom Gurgle
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
User avatar
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow
 
Posts: 9155
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:45 am
Location: A Drained Swimming Pool

Postby Seppuku on Thu May 01, 2008 3:18 am

Krautrockers Faust VS sludgy hip-hop act Dalek, Derbe Respekt, Alder. "Crude like a wrecking ball and thudding like a pile-driver" puts it down pretty nicely. Stunning illbient/industrial hip-hop. I've got to check out some more from these guys.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Image
User avatar
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION
 
Posts: 7872
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:52 am
Location: Limeyland

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu May 01, 2008 9:08 am

seppukudkurosawa wrote:Krautrockers Faust VS sludgy hip-hop act Dalek, Derbe Respekt, Alder. "Crude like a wrecking ball and thudding like a pile-driver" puts it down pretty nicely. Stunning illbient/industrial hip-hop. I've got to check out some more from these guys.


Good album! I think they only did one collab album but the Dalek stuff is awesome on its own.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu May 08, 2008 7:12 pm

stereo, did you mention "There's Nothing Wrong With Love" in your top albums of the 90's multiple posts?

I don't know if I'd go that far, as I, right now after only 3 listens to TNWWL, I prefer "Perfect From Now On" and "Keep it Like a Secret"...but it's gaining on them fast.

seriously, you people who slag on guitar rock being dead, give good ol' Doug Martsch a spin or two.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
User avatar
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 9407
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:14 am
Location: Blacktionville

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu May 08, 2008 9:36 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:stereo, did you mention "There's Nothing Wrong With Love" in your top albums of the 90's multiple posts?

I don't know if I'd go that far, as I, right now after only 3 listens to TNWWL, I prefer "Perfect From Now On" and "Keep it Like a Secret"...but it's gaining on them fast.

seriously, you people who slag on guitar rock being dead, give good ol' Doug Martsch a spin or two.


Perfect from Now On is my second favorite but they are all awesome albums. Martsch is the successor of Neil Young. I wasn't really into long music at the time I first heard the record then the 20 minute Cortez the Killer hit and I was like damn this dude is gold even during a 20 min jam.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Postby wharto on Sat May 10, 2008 3:50 pm

Lightspeed Champion - Falling Off The Lavender Bridge
Suck My Balls!
wharto
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE
 
Posts: 327
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:23 pm
Location: Liverpool

Postby King Psyz on Sat May 10, 2008 6:03 pm

I've had on Atmosphere: When Life Gives You Lemons... You Paint That Shit Gold in repeat for something on 5 hours now and I still am digging it.

Good background music for workin.

The song about making peace with his dad is a fuckin tear jerker. But only once you figure out it's about his dead dad and not some old girl or buddy.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?
 
Posts: 4906
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:11 pm
Location: anywhere but here

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Sat May 10, 2008 7:18 pm

'Fall Dog Bombs The Moon' - David Bowie
Image
User avatar
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 1585
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:35 am

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sun May 11, 2008 11:10 pm

King Psyz wrote:I've had on Atmosphere: When Life Gives You Lemons... You Paint That Shit Gold in repeat for something on 5 hours now and I still am digging it.

Good background music for workin.

The song about making peace with his dad is a fuckin tear jerker. But only once you figure out it's about his dead dad and not some old girl or buddy.


It's his best material in a long time for sure.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Postby King Psyz on Mon May 12, 2008 2:11 am

It's very much his live show since about 04 in record form.

I am a fan, although I would love to hear a FELT 3 already... Hmmm will it be a Tribute to Scarlet Johansen? Jessica Alba, Sienna Miller, Ellen Paige?
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?
 
Posts: 4906
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:11 pm
Location: anywhere but here

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon May 12, 2008 9:10 am

King Psyz wrote:It's very much his live show since about 04 in record form.

I am a fan, although I would love to hear a FELT 3 already... Hmmm will it be a Tribute to Scarlet Johansen? Jessica Alba, Sienna Miller, Ellen Paige?


Ohh I would definitely like a new Felt record!
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Postby Hermanator X on Thu May 22, 2008 7:36 am

Old but gold techno just popped on at random for me. Awesome tune, and now I have to listen the whole album (Royal Astronomy). You know your getting old when your preffered electronica is 10 years old.

Mu-Ziq : Autumn Acid

Ignore the video, looks like some muppet making their own blair witch. Added purely to share the tune.
...and so forth.
User avatar
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2624
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:55 pm
Location: Kongsberg, Norway, This Town needs an enema

Postby magicmonkey on Thu May 22, 2008 9:52 am

Hermanator X wrote:Old but gold techno just popped on at random for me. Awesome tune, and now I have to listen the whole album (Royal Astronomy). You know your getting old when your preffered electronica is 10 years old.

Mu-Ziq : Autumn Acid

Ignore the video, looks like some muppet making their own blair witch. Added purely to share the tune.


Nice.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen
 
Posts: 6032
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:26 am
Location: Shanghizzo

Postby Hermanator X on Thu May 22, 2008 11:04 am

Glad you like.
Now it has awakened my quest to track down the album "in pine effect" which I havent listened to since I put all of my cassettes in a big box and stored...somewhere...
User avatar
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2624
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:55 pm
Location: Kongsberg, Norway, This Town needs an enema

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Tue May 27, 2008 9:16 pm

Last 5 songs I listened to:

'When They Come To Murder Me' - Black Francis
'Sing Me Spanish Techno' - The New Pornographers
'Your Pretty Face Is Going To Hell' - The Stooges
'Oh Well, Okay' - Elliott Smith
'Bled White' - Elliott Smith
Image
User avatar
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 1585
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:35 am

Postby Maui on Thu May 29, 2008 11:50 am

"She's a River" - Simple Minds
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7608
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu May 29, 2008 12:37 pm

Steinski - What does it all mean?

You can really tell how Prince Paul, etc... were really influenced by Steinski. Awesome hip-hop history lesson from this album.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Postby WinslowLeach on Thu May 29, 2008 12:40 pm

Faze-O - Riding High
User avatar
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 4079
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:39 pm
Location: The Deuce

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Thu May 29, 2008 3:04 pm

Meshuggah : obZen
Image
User avatar
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident
 
Posts: 4946
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:40 pm
Location: Winnipeg

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu May 29, 2008 3:10 pm

Chris a.k.a StuntMike wrote:Meshuggah : obZen


Good album, but my favorites are still Nothing, and Destroy...
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Thu May 29, 2008 3:12 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Chris a.k.a StuntMike wrote:Meshuggah : obZen


Good album, but my favorites are still Nothing, and Destroy...


Catch Thirtythree is madness
Image
User avatar
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident
 
Posts: 4946
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:40 pm
Location: Winnipeg

Postby Brocktune on Thu May 29, 2008 5:30 pm

Zarles wrote:Cypress Hill - "Skull and Bones"


hahaha!
i cant listen to that record without picturing B-Real, the pirate pilot, desperately trying (fruitlessly) to bail water out of a fast sinking pirate ship!

listen up muthafuckas
i got shit on my mind
the spotlight's on me
and it's time to shine


i guess nobody told sen dog that the spotlight wuz fading fast!
Image
User avatar
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 6490
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:32 pm
Location: Pico & Sepulveda

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Thu May 29, 2008 7:43 pm

'The Carrionites Swarm' - Murray Gold

From the Doctor Who Series 2 Soundtrack - if you've not heard this fucking EPIC piece of music, make it your business to hear it before the day is done. Amazing.
Image
User avatar
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 1585
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:35 am

Postby WinslowLeach on Thu May 29, 2008 7:55 pm

Big Daddy Kane - I Get The Job Done
User avatar
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 4079
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:39 pm
Location: The Deuce

Postby doglips on Thu May 29, 2008 8:01 pm

WinslowLeach wrote:Big Daddy Kane - I Get The Job Done


I love 'Nuff Respect' from the Juice soundtrack and will now have to listen to it.
User avatar
doglips
MOD FAIRY
 
Posts: 6288
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:08 am

Postby WinslowLeach on Thu May 29, 2008 8:03 pm

Juice soundtrack is one of my favorites! Nuff Respect is an awesome track. I also love Uptown Anthem by Naughty By Nature and Juice (Know The Ledge) by Eric B and Rakim
User avatar
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 4079
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:39 pm
Location: The Deuce

Postby Maui on Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:30 pm

Great Expectations by Elbow

Easily one of my favourite songs!
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7608
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: Now Playing

Postby DaleTremont on Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:36 pm

"L'homme" Jeanne Cherhal

Possibly the Frenchest album ever. J'adore.
Image
User avatar
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson
 
Posts: 3507
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:51 am
Location: Москва, bitches!

Re: Now Playing

Postby tapehead on Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:18 pm

DaleTremont wrote:"L'homme" Jeanne Cherhal

Possibly the Frenchest album ever. J'adore.


No Serge Gainsbourg for you then...
User avatar
tapehead
BALLS!!!
 
Posts: 9427
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:13 pm
Location: OZ

Re: Now Playing

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:30 pm

tapehead wrote:
DaleTremont wrote:"L'homme" Jeanne Cherhal

Possibly the Frenchest album ever. J'adore.


No Serge Gainsbourg for you then...


or with Brigitte Bardot!
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Re: Now Playing

Postby DaleTremont on Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:26 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
tapehead wrote:
DaleTremont wrote:"L'homme" Jeanne Cherhal

Possibly the Frenchest album ever. J'adore.


No Serge Gainsbourg for you then...


or with Brigitte Bardot!


I love that song "Bonnie and Clyde." In one of Kate Beckinsale's least dull moments she does a naughty strip tease to the tune before rubbing up against Frances McDormand and Alessandro Nivola.

And yes, yes Gainsbourg is kind of the king of French music...but still. Listen to Jeanne Cherhal and you'll see what I mean.

(Unless you gripe about how it's a girly twee version of Yann Tiersen in which case I probably have nothing to say to you anyway...)

/rant
Image
User avatar
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson
 
Posts: 3507
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:51 am
Location: Москва, bitches!

Re: Now Playing

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:17 am

I thought Johnny Hallyday was the king of French music.
Image
User avatar
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 3955
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:33 am
Location: Northern Frontier

Re: Now Playing

Postby hackett on Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:07 am

i had a Once moment a few weeks ago and ran into this guy .....http://www.myspace.com/tomfoxdavies ... great voice for a street performer... like all of them, you hope they do well and don't turn into carnies
http://vimeo.com/pandachase - now in technicolor
User avatar
hackett
MONKEY BUTLER
 
Posts: 218
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: Now Playing

Postby tapehead on Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:37 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:I thought Johnny Hallyday was the king of French music.



He's the King of French Rock...

The French Elvis...

or something that doesn't sound demeaning...
User avatar
tapehead
BALLS!!!
 
Posts: 9427
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:13 pm
Location: OZ

PreviousNext

Return to Music

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron