Best Concert

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:57 pm

Pudie wrote:i've been to a few Ozzfests. The one with Pantera/Ozzy being the highlight.

I saw Pantera a LONG time ago opening for...wait for it...Skid Row.

Again, you take the good with the bad...
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby The Ginger Man on Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:00 pm

Back in college (2002, I think) my mom asked if I wanted tix to see Bob Dylan since he was playing in my home town. I figured, "Hey, he's one of those really big, old singers who's supposed to be important. I should see him before he dies, just so I can say I did." Went to the show, could barely understand what he sang, but it blew me away. I started tracking down his work, starting with the folk and moving up through the electric and so on. Have since become a huge Dylan fan, to the point of reading biographies and watching documentaries, things I've never done with another musician.

So that would be number one.

2nd place: Rufus Wainwright. Another surprise. The man sings with a touch of the divine. I think I'd switch teams for this guy, if you know what I mean.

3rd place: Springsteen. He just has so much fun on stage and you can feel it in his performance.

Runners up: Bright Eyes, who rock surprisingly hard live. And Cake. Same as The Boss, these guys love performing and love their audience.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:04 pm

The Ginger Man wrote:Back in college (2002, I think) my mom asked if I wanted tix to see Bob Dylan since he was playing in my home town. Went to the show, could barely understand what he sang, but it blew me away.

My brother saw Dylan at the Amazon.com anniversary party this year. That's exactly how he described it as well.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Pudie on Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:14 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
Pudie wrote:i've been to a few Ozzfests. The one with Pantera/Ozzy being the highlight.

I saw Pantera a LONG time ago opening for...wait for it...Skid Row.

Again, you take the good with the bad...

You saw hair metal Pantera? That's awesome!

Diamond Darrel!! :lol:
Last edited by Pudie on Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby jgraphix on Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:15 pm

henti metal?
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby docfalken on Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:17 pm

I'd love to have Rufus sing to me.

My fav is the Ben Folds/Rufus Wainwright version of Wham!s "Careless Whisper". I'm tearing up just linking it here.

Careless Whisper
docfalken
HAGGIS?!?!!?!!?!

Postby vicious_bastard on Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:19 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
The Ginger Man wrote:Back in college (2002, I think) my mom asked if I wanted tix to see Bob Dylan since he was playing in my home town. Went to the show, could barely understand what he sang, but it blew me away.

My brother saw Dylan at the Amazon.com anniversary party this year. That's exactly how he described it as well.

I saw him at Glastonbury a few years ago - for the first few songs I was kind of in awe too, but then I have to admit getting a bit pissed off with his mumbling. I admire his reasons anyway, even if I barely understand them - check out that 'Chronicles' book - great stuff.
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby The Ginger Man on Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:20 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:

Yeah, I really do recommend you all catch a show if you get the chance. He's been touring with some pretty good openers as of late. And if you're really lucky, he might do a few shows with The Dead.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby The Ginger Man on Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:24 pm

docfalken wrote:I'd love to have Rufus sing to me.

My fav is the Ben Folds/Rufus Wainwright version of Wham!s "Careless Whisper". I'm tearing up just linking it here.

Thank god, doc. It's good to know I'm not alone.

When I saw him: At the end of his show, he and his entire band/back-up donned robes and performed a purposefully bad choreographed dance number (we're talking on the level of junior high dance line. it was a running joke from the opening act). Then he put on a sparkly crown of thorns and had roman centurions crucify him to a cardboard cross so he could sing "Better Pray for your Sins, Cause the Dumbledore Messiah's Coming."

I think, the best closer. Ever.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby jgraphix on Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:26 pm

Another good one I went to was Slipknot at a huge outdoor ampitheatre. Was just INsane.
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby docfalken on Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:30 pm

I would love to see a SlipKnot show, but I'm way to old now. Hell, my ears are still ringing from seeing Dinosaur Jr in Dallas a few years ago.
docfalken
HAGGIS?!?!!?!!?!

Postby jgraphix on Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:32 pm

Well if they do an arena tour I would suggest seeing 'em. They have a great energy, just bring earplugs.
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby Pudie on Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:37 pm

jgraphix wrote:Another good one I went to was Slipknot at a huge outdoor ampitheatre. Was just INsane.

The Knot always puts on a great show.
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby jgraphix on Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:38 pm

It's because they get the crowd so involved with the show.
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby wharto on Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:52 pm

Radiohead Glastonbury 1997.
Suck My Balls!
wharto
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby King Psyz on Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:54 pm

This is the thread where I wave around my music cred like the freak flag it is.

I used to run a zine, so going to shows was a way of life. I'm lucky to have only been to a handful of shitty shows, so here goes;

90/91 - Anahiem - Celebrity Theatre
Big Daddy Kane, MC Lyte, Biz Markie
-
Best first concert for a tubby white boy in the 90s ever!

92 - Los Angeles - Greek Theatre
Public Enemy, Digital Underground, The Afros, Queen Latifa
-
My fantasy was shattered at the tender age of 17 that shock g and humpty hump were one in the same

96 - San Francisco - Polo Fields, Golden Gate Park
June 13th & 14th 1996
$800 000 raised
100 000 Attendees
The Smashing Pumpkins, Foo Fighters, Chaksam-pa, Beastie Boys, A Tribe Called Quest, Pavement, Cibo Matto, Biz Markie, Richie Havens, John Lee Hooker, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Rage Against the Machine, Sonic Youth, Beck, Bjork, De La Soul, Fugees, Buddy Guy, The Skatalites, Yoko Ono/Ima
-
nuff said

97 - Central California - Konoctai Harbor
George Clinton and PFunk
-
First time I took pictures, much less of a band. Thid is what started my love affair for not only Funk, but photography as well.

98 - Oaktown - some stadium
Beastie Boys, Invisible Skratch Piklez, Money Mark
-
This was a weird one, I was on acid*(don't do drugs kids), the crowd was weak, and the sound echoed badly. But!, for being the only three guys on our feet in our section during one song Adrock gave us our propers for having a good time.

98 - Mammoth Lakes - Mammoth Mountain
Pennywise, VooDoo Glow Skulls, Ten Foot Pole
-
First and not my last punk show, this is probablly why I started a zine right here. Also includes bonus embarassing moment on FOX11 LA in a drunken diatribe on punk music and the culture seen by my hometown pals. :oops:

99 - Mammoth Lakes - Mammoth Mountain
Fishbone, Aquabats
-
First time I saw the greatness that is Fishbone, also the first time I got into a fight with a skinhead nazi. Seeing him dragged face down over metal grate steps was sickly satisfying.

There's many more, I'll add them later
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:56 pm

ok let's hear it for some "modern rock"

best concert ever - radiohead, aug 2001, liberty state park nj... outdoor show with the nyc skyline (pre-9/11) in the background... they played FOUR encores...

honorable mentions:
siouxsie & the banshees, 7 year itch tour - front row center, there's nothing like having siouxsie sioux sitting on stage 10 feet in front of you, looking at you while singing "spellbound"

pixies, september 2005 - i got to see them in a really small venue, 300-person capacity. they sounded incredible, it was the third time i've seen them on the "reunion" tour and easily the best one.

the church, gold afternoon fix tour, 1990 - my favourite band, my first time seeing them, nuff said. so loud, my ears were ringing for a week.

radiohead again, hail to the thief tour - front row. amazing.

psychedelic furs, midnight to midnight tour, w/ the mission uk - my first concert

marilyn manson, a few years ago - don't remember the tour name, but it was at the 9:30 club in dc so it wasn't one of the arena tours, it had a burlesque-show-like theme, and it was just a few days before halloween

u2, vertigo tour, october 2005 - waited in line from 9am, unfortunately didn't get into ellipse but was right up front outside of ellipse. bono rises out of the floor right in front of us at the beginning of the show. when they played "one" it was the only time a concert has actually brought me to tears. also, was my first date with current gf... so this may or may not turn out to be a very fond memory depending how things go.

jawbox, sometime in the 90s - what a great band they were live

idlewild, earlier this year - another great live band

lollapalooza 1 - i'm sure it was great, but i barely remember it. but with bands like jane's addiction, NIN, siouxsie & the banshees, living colour, etc it was all a bit overwhelming.

i just saw pretty girls make graves a week ago and they were fantastic...

ok i could go on and on, i live for music and usually see 2-3 shows a month, so picking favourites is kind of hard... i didn't even begin to mention all the punk and hardcore shows i went to through the 90s...
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Pudie on Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:57 pm

wharto wrote:Radiohead Glastonbury 1997.
:shock: :x
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby wharto on Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:57 pm

Pudie wrote:
wharto wrote:Radiohead Glastonbury 1997.
:shock: :x

???????
Suck My Balls!
wharto
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Pudie on Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:58 pm

I have that on DVD. I envy you.
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby El Scorcho on Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:58 pm

I forgot the Kaiser Chiefs/Weezer/Foo Fighters show I went to, October of this year.

Great, great show, but I will never see a show with two headlining acts again. It was almost too much.
El Scorcho
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby docfalken on Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:05 pm

Anything goes when it comes to hoes, Shitbrick. That is a show I wish I'd have seen.
docfalken
HAGGIS?!?!!?!!?!

Postby buster00 on Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:11 pm

PINK FUCKING FLOYD. A religious experience.

"Division Bell" Tour...don't remember the year...93?

First half of the show was a mix of old and newer stuff...

Second half of the show, they come back out and do "Dark Side Of The Moon" all the way through.

HO-LY SHIT.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby wharto on Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:11 pm

Pudie where did you get your DVD?
Suck My Balls!
wharto
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby swadetheking on Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:14 pm

Ask any kid in Aus and the most extreme thing theyve ever seen is the wiggles

Kids love this shit
swadetheking
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Fievel on Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:29 pm

I'll agree with the Floyd tour. I saw them at the Pontiac Silverdome in the summer of '94. They said that our show was the first time they had done Dark Side from front to back since the 70's, but I don't know if that's the truth or not.

Other fav's.

Phish 12-31-99 - Seminole Reservation, Florida Everglades. Crowd of 75,000+ people. They played 3 sets the previous day, then on New Years Eve they played an early evening set, took a huge break and then came out just before Midnight..... and then played NONSTOP until sunrise. They never really lost an ounce of energy the whole time.

Phish 10-31-95 - Their second Musical Halloween Costume show. They played 3 sets with the middle set being The Who's Quadrophenia album in its entirety.

Other Phish honorable mentions - 12-6-97 (the funk), 11-14-94 (crazy improv).

Beck - Summer '98. Ben Folds Five opened for him so that was already a HUGE bonus. Beck was entertaining as hell, and played some great music.

Page & Plant - 1995. The closest to seeing Led Zeppelin that I'll ever get.

Sting - This past summer. He had a small band and played almost ALL Police songs. The closest thing to seeing The Police that I'll ever get. He's getting older, but the voice was still sharp.

Galactic -'98 - Small bar in East Lansing, MI. Great band, extremely small venue.

I saw the Elton/Billy Joel concert a couple of years ago. I went in as more of a Billy Joel fan, but left more impressed with Elton John. A good show by both though.

Worst concert?
Smashing Blump... I mean Pumpkins - summer '96. The loudest concert I've ever been to.... and sometimes that just not a good thing.
Dishonorable mention - The Melvins opening for Primus back in '93. Ugh.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Brocktune on Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:33 pm

Fievel wrote:Dishonorable mention - The Melvins opening for Primus back in '93. Ugh.

how dare you, sir.
i loved primus for bringing the melvins along. they are one of the greatest most misunderstood, and sadly unappreciated bands of our time. fear the melvins!
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Ginger Man on Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:34 pm

TheBaxter wrote:pixies, september 2005 - i got to see them in a really small venue, 300-person capacity. they sounded incredible, it was the third time i've seen them on the "reunion" tour and easily the best one.

Really? I saw them on the reunion tour and thought they sucked. They rushed through the songs, played them as if they were straight off a CD, had zero crowd interaction, scowled the whole time, and refused to play an encore. Like, verbally refused. After leaving the stage, they sent a guy out to say "That's the show. There's no encore. You can stop waiting." Ugh.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby You Know My Name on Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:36 pm

Paul McCartney during his 02' Driving Rain tour at the Arrowhead Pond in Anaheim. 8)
You Know My Name
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby athenabodicea on Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:48 pm

docfalken wrote:I would love to see a SlipKnot show, but I'm way to old now. Hell, my ears are still ringing from seeing Dinosaur Jr in Dallas a few years ago.

Whoo hoo!!!!
I'm there...

Those guys are fucking nuts... Did you know that their masks are actually painful to wear.. They say this helps enhance their experience as performers....

Fucking nuts I tells ya.....
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby austenandrews on Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:52 pm

Springsteen on his Born In The USA tour. The Who a few years before that.
austenandrews
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby King Psyz on Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:57 pm

if any of you get a chance, come to the House of Blues here in Vegas. It's the perfect size club to see big names in a bar type enviroment. Best sound in Vegas too.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby doglips on Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:02 pm

If we are talking Radiohead, I was at the Homecoming Last gig of the Kid A tour, Oxford 2001. Supergrass, Sigur Ros, Beck ( Solo+Acoustic ) and Radiohead themselves. It rained all day and then the heavens opened for the whole set, thom played an extra solo encore for people to listen to as they left the park. Amazing day!
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby wharto on Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:10 pm

Yes I was there as well, they finished with Creep didn't they?
Superb gig made all the better for sleeping rough in Oxford that night.
Suck My Balls!
wharto
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Fievel on Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:21 pm

Brocktune wrote:
Fievel wrote:Dishonorable mention - The Melvins opening for Primus back in '93. Ugh.

how dare you, sir.
i loved primus for bringing the melvins along. they are one of the greatest most misunderstood, and sadly unappreciated bands of our time. fear the melvins!

With all due respect,
The show was in a very small theater (State Theater, Detroit) and I was at the front of the pit. And when that Hawaiian Punch-lookin lead singer "sang" right in front of me, I was showered with more man mouth fluid than I care to admit...... and THEN he spat on the audience! I realize that the majority of the spit came from his singing style, but the dude literally spat at us. Whether he meant to hit the crowd or not, it left a permanently negative impression. But then Primus played and all was well. I've never seen a bad Primus show.

PRIMUS SUCKS!!!!

p.s. Reason 134,871 that I'm loving this message board by the day - Intelligent debates/conversations. Brocktune's reply in almost any other forum would have been explitive-laden and my mother would have been called every name in the book for me dissing a band they like.
I love you guys.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:42 pm

The Ginger Man wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:pixies, september 2005 - i got to see them in a really small venue, 300-person capacity. they sounded incredible, it was the third time i've seen them on the "reunion" tour and easily the best one.

Really? I saw them on the reunion tour and thought they sucked. They rushed through the songs, played them as if they were straight off a CD, had zero crowd interaction, scowled the whole time, and refused to play an encore. Like, verbally refused. After leaving the stage, they sent a guy out to say "That's the show. There's no encore. You can stop waiting." Ugh.

When did you see them? I saw them three times, and they got better each time, so if you saw one of the earlier shows you might not have seen them at their best. The fiirst time I saw them, December 2004 in Philadelphia on the first leg of the tour, they played a pretty good set, but it did tend to have a lot of their faster material from the first few records, and virtually nothing from bossa nova or trompe le monde (actually, that's pretty true of all three sets i saw). I was about 20 rows back or so, so I wasn't close enough to see if they were scowling, but the energy of the show was a bit lackluster. it was funny when they played head on twice though, because kim had played it out of key the first time through.

The second show I saw was July 2005 at Columbia, MD. They dropped a couple of songs I really like from the set (Here Comes Your Man, La La Love You) but they seemed to play with a lot more energy. Maybe that was because someone came out after the first song to give them their gold record for surfer rosa, which had just gone gold. there was a bit more crowd interaction, including charles telling a story about the person who supposedly bought the copy of surfer rosa that made it go gold, but the pixies have never really had much crowd interaction and i don't mind that.

The third show was tremendous, the set was great, the energy was amazing, the sound was perfect, and they played a bit longer than before. it was easily the best of the three i saw.

it's true they don't play encores, each time i saw them they would walk around the stage waving to the audience before gesturing whether or not to play one more song while the crowd cheered them on, and then finish it off with one last song, so that kinda was their encore, they just didn't bother to leave the stage first. i have the cd of their columbia show and they played 27 songs in the space of an hour and 20 minutes, and the last time i saw them they played about an hour and a half... so after all that, the lack of an encore didn't bother me much. they do run through the set at a pretty breakneck pace, but i liked that: it means i got to hear more songs. and kim deal pretty much has a huge grin plastered on her face the whole show: i don't think she's capable of scowling.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:58 pm

not that anyone cares, but here's charles' speech from the pixies show where they received their gold record for surfer rosa. it's kinda funny just 'cos it's all bullshit (it takes months to verify that a record has gone gold):

CHARLES: David, could you come down here please? Could you, David, come down here? Apparently... Excuse me, I don't, just for a second, I gotta... the guys don't understand. Stay here, but, they don't know what's going on though. Apparently, about 30 minutes ago, Susie Johnson in Topeka, Kansas...Do you remember 17 years ago, we recorded a record called Surfer Rosa?
[Audience cheers]
CHARLES: Right, thank you, thank you very much, thank you. Well about a half an hour ago, Susie Johnson from Topeka, Kansas bought a copy... i think they're an hour or two ahead, before us, right, the time? And she bought a copy of Surfer Rosa... and now, 17 years later, guess... it went gold.
KIM: Yeah!
[Audience cheers]
CHARLES: And the RIAA is based right here in Washington DC. They rushed down tonight... Congratulations, Kim. Here you go. David, congratulations.
[Audience cheers]
CHARLES: Thank you. Thanks a lot. That's the RIAA, they... Hi. I'm Frank. How you doing? Alright, thank you... You know, better late than never? Could you hold on to that for me until after the gig?
KIM: That's great. [laughs]
CHARLES: We got us a gold record. I like it. A special thanks to Susie Johnson of Topeka, Kansas.

And then they played a great version of Where Is My Mind? (the song from the end of Fight Club, for the non-Pixies fans out there)
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby The Ginger Man on Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:08 pm

TheBaxter wrote:When did you see them? I saw them three times, and they got better each time, so if you saw one of the earlier shows you might not have seen them at their best.

I had to check the back of my Pixies Sell Out Tour shirt for this one. I caught them 9-18-04, Austin TX. The fourth show of the 1st leg of the tour. I think they played an hour, if that. Who knows, might have just been my show. I'm certainly not saying yours couldn't have been great. Just for me, after they got off stage I felt like the tour shirt was pretty accurate: they'd sold out.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby Nabocho on Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:32 am

-Metallica+Stone Sour+In Flames (2003) (Saw Metallica in 1996 too, but it was so-so)
-AC/DC+The Wildhearts (1996)
-Blind Guardian+Iced Earth (1998)
-Machine Head+Entombed+Misery Loves Co. (1997)
-Iron Maiden+Entombed+Spiritual Beggars (2000)
-Pantera+Stuck Mojo (1998)
-Sum 41 (2002 or so, can´t remember)
-Dissection+Watain (2004)
Surry phor my krappy inglish xD
Nabocho
GLIB

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:41 am

some of the best shows i've ever seen

- Ween: somewhere in NYC maybe around 1998? Whenever the Mollusk came out. They out on like a 3 hour set. A bunch of drunk and high olde people slam (sham?) dancing to "piss of a rope"? fuckin' priceless!

- Boredoms: i was lucky enough to catch them in a rare performance at the Troc in Philly (around '94?). they are AMAZING live. tons of energy and verve. Eye Yamataka is without a doubt the craziest lead singer on the face of the earth. they're brilliant.

- Melt Banana -- another rare show! Pure! Noisecore! Power! this is without a doubt the most powerful (and funny) avant-noise-arte-punk 4 piece on the planet.

- Butthole Surfers: Possibly one of the most electrifying (and at times terrifying) live bands to ever stalk the face of the turgid, seething, psychedelic planet we call earth. Philly, early 90s. very drunk and high. the first time i realized i was too olde to be in a mosh pit (i think i was around 21 at the time). this, of course, didn't stop me. they seemed to play for hours. but that may have been the mushrooms.

- Beck -- at the Radio City Music Hall in NYC! it was in support of my favorite Beck album -- Midnight Vultures. i don't know why people liked Odelay better. Midnight Vultures perfectly captured my mood at the time -- partying my ass off in NYC for what seemed like years. you know, before the dark times... before the empire...

- Foetus: at the Troc in Philly way back in the early 90s. The sound was amazing. I was, of course, very, very high.

- Pigface: these guys are mixed bag -- sometimes amazin, sometimes complete and utter shit -- at the Troc in Philly way back in the early 90s. The lineup was great for this show, but no Ogre, unfortunately. The bass was so low, loud, and rumbling i could feel it in my bowels. I was, of course, very, very high.

- Skinny Puppy: at the Troc in Philly way back in the early 90s (notice a pattern). Truly a multi-media extravaganza. At times it was almost overwhelmingly powerful. Oh yeah, i was very, very high.

- Metallica: 1989? The "And Justice For All..." tour. I was never a big fan of metal, but i used to love Metallica. their sound just seemed so operatic and interesting. this was the last time Metallica were great. after this point they opened their mouths wide and took a great big suck on the corporate cock. Enter Sandman? Enter Suckitude, bitches. the best part of this show is when they did ONE and at the end of the song the stage blew up and fell apart. awesome! it was also cool because i was a punk rocker, and it was cool to witness punks and metalers raging as one! unity! (ha ha... oh man... youth)

- Shellac: NYC, late 90s. Actually, calling this one of the best shows of my life may be a bit of an overstatement, but, you know, the legendary Steve Albini? sheeit! i wasn't lucky enough to catch Big Black live (they broke up around the time i was getting super into them back in the mid 80s), so this was a nice way to see the genius play that custom made wacked out guitar/amp combo. fuckin' great show.

- Grateful Dead at... um... whew... where was that again? mushrooms... um... saw em a bunch of times... really high. drums and space... um... you know.

- Sonic Youth at the Anchorage in NYC maybe around '98, '99?. it was an all instrumental set played in the bowels of the Brooklyn Bridge. The sound was amazing.
Last edited by ZombieZoneSolutions on Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Pudie on Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:18 am

wharto wrote:Pudie where did you get your DVD?

eBay
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby Vegeta on Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:36 am

Dear Lord, so many concerts...

Faith No More/Limp Bizkit (Faith No more's last tour... they opened with a cover of "what the world needs now" by Burt Bacharach. Limp Bizkit was cool because it was before anybody had heard of them and Fred had long hair! Think this show was in April of '98)

Weezer on their comeback tour before the Green album came out.

Eagles seventh row center at Summerfest in 2002.

Foo Fighters/Pete Yorn 2nd row center at summerfest 2003 (maybe '04)

My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult in Chicago '98

Marilyn Manson 5th row center on the Mechanical animals tour.

Stone Temple Pilots/Meat Puppets at Summerfest '94

Pantera/White Zombie '92 at Memorial Hall in Racine, WI (home sweet home)

Alice in Chains '93 Dirt Tour (awesome show, I literally was body passed from the beginning of Man in the box til the end of the solo!)

Ben Folds (seen him many times, solo and with Ben Folds Five)

Matthew Sweet Summerfest '00 or '01

Queensryche '05 at the Myth in Minneapolis (they played Operation Mindcrime in it's entirety)

Dear Lord so many concerts... you have to understand that I've worked for Ticketmaster since '97 so I've been to some shows!
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby MelaWolf on Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:40 pm

I'd LOVE to have been alive and able to go to The Band's farewell performance Thanksgiving 1976. Marty Scorcese's The Last Waltz is the film footage from it. But hell, not only The Band, but Dr. John, Eric Clapton, Van Morrison, Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell, Neil Young, The Staple Singers, Muddy Waters, Emmylou Harris...

Just wow.
You think you really know what's happening here, don't you? Well, I'll tell you something, you don't know shit, buddy.
MelaWolf
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby St. Alphonzo on Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:54 pm

Another great concert:

John Lee Hooker at the Great American Music Hall in San Francisco, January 1990.

Gregg Allman got up on stage with him.

Bliss.
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby Brocktune on Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:31 pm

Fievel wrote:
Brocktune wrote:

how dare you, sir.

With all due respect,
The show was in a very small theater (State Theater, Detroit) and I was at the front of the pit. And when that Hawaiian Punch-lookin lead singer "sang" right in front of me, I was showered with more man mouth fluid than I care to admit...... and THEN he spat on the audience! I realize that the majority of the spit came from his singing style, but the dude literally spat at us. Whether he meant to hit the crowd or not, it left a permanently negative impression. But then Primus played and all was well. I've never seen a bad Primus show.

PRIMUS SUCKS!!!!

p.s. Reason 134,871 that I'm loving this message board by the day - Intelligent debates/conversations. Brocktune's reply in almost any other forum would have been explitive-laden and my mother would have been called every name in the book for me dissing a band they like.
I love you guys.

word
good old king buzzo showering you with his juices, eh? heh heh, gross.
btw, primus sucks.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DrillerKiller on Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:54 pm

Primus sucks? Whut the fack? Since when? Last I knew they were the tightest band on the planet. Primus are amazing - probably the best musicians you'll ever come across (especially now that Tim Alexander's back). I'm too hungover to argue this properly, or any further, but I gotta say that you should respect anyone who is technically astounding like them.

Anyway, fave gigs....

Focus - Vicar St. Dublin 2005
RUSH - Glasgow SECC 2004
Fantomas - The Village, Dublin 2005
TooL/System of a down/Slayer/Therapy? - Ozzfest, Kildare 2002
Deftones/One Minute Silence - SFX Dublin 1998
George Clinton & the P-Funk Allstars - Vicar St. Dublin 2004
Steve Vai - Vicar St, Dublin 2005
Kerbdog - TBMC Dublin 2005
Tomahawk/Ex-Girl - Ambassador, Dublin 2003
The 21st Century Doors - The Point, Dublin, 2004
James Brown - Oxegen '05
Therapy? - The Point Dublin 1995
ISIS/Jesu - Templebar music Centre, Dublin 2004
Cannibal Corpse - TBMC, Dublin 1998 (Due to surprise mosh survival)
Wellycome....in jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam
DrillerKiller
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Fievel on Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:11 pm

DrillerKiller wrote:Primus sucks? Whut the fack? Since when? Last I knew they were the tightest band on the planet. Primus are amazing - probably the best musicians you'll ever come across (especially now that Tim Alexander's back). I'm too hungover to argue this properly, or any further, but I gotta say that you should respect anyone who is technically astounding like them.

The members of the band Primus ARE amazing, and generally underrated. They put on one of the best live shows around. Les Claypool is a god on bass. Thank Bob that Tim is back!!!! He rocks my socks off!

But.... that doesn't change the simple fact, that anyone that's been to a Primus concert knows, Primus sucks. I respect them. I love them. But still, that doesn't have any bearing on the matter at hand - that Primus Sucks. :D Anyone that's been to a Primus concert knows this to be true.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby St. Alphonzo on Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:12 pm

DrillerKiller wrote:Primus sucks? Whut the fack? Since when? Last I knew they were the tightest band on the planet.

Driller - it's a tradition at Primus live gigs to chant "Primus sucks" before the band takes the stage (listen to their live album for an example).

I saw Tool open for Primus back in (I think) 1993. It was right after Zappa died, and Tool did an amazing medley of his songs (including my namesake: St. Alphonzo's Pancake Breakfast). All of this at the puny little Armory in Salem, OR. Kickass!
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby Vegeta on Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:38 pm

Primus sucks? Whut the fack? Since when? Last I knew they were the tightest band on the planet. Primus are amazing - probably the best musicians you'll ever come across (especially now that Tim Alexander's back). I'm too hungover to argue this properly, or any further, but I gotta say that you should respect anyone who is technically astounding like them.

Sorry, this may not be popular, but IMHO Primus is one of the worst bands EVER. The members themselves are some of the most accomplished ever at their instruments, however dear lord, they should have never wrote together. Some of the most unlistenable music I have ever heard in my life. Also, Les Claypool should never be allowed to sing into a microphone ever again. It's like listening to a big drunk burly man with larenghitis at karaoke.
One thing I can say, being a musician, is write for the song... don't just masturbate your instrument cause your good.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby MelaWolf on Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:46 pm

Vegeta wrote:
Sorry, this may not be popular, but IMHO Primus is one of the worst bands EVER. The members themselves are some of the most accomplished ever at their instruments, however dear lord, they should have never wrote together. Some of the most unlistenable music I have ever heard in my life. Also, Les Claypool should never be allowed to sing into a microphone ever again. It's like listening to a big drunk burly man with larenghitis at karaoke.
One thing I can say, being a musician, is write for the song... don't just masturbate your instrument cause your good.

Ha ha ha... exactly! I agree 100% on everything you said.
You think you really know what's happening here, don't you? Well, I'll tell you something, you don't know shit, buddy.
MelaWolf
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

PreviousNext

Return to Music