DAVID GILMOUR: real guitar hero

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

DAVID GILMOUR: real guitar hero

Postby I_Was_Saying_Boo_urns on Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:33 pm

Flyover states pwned!

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001700664

April 4-5: New York (Radio City Music Hall)
April 9-10: Toronto (Massey Hall)
April 12-13: Chicago (Paramount Theatre)
April 16-17: Oakland, Calif. (Paramount Theatre)
April 19: Los Angeles (Kodak Theatre)
April 20: Los Angeles (Gibson Theatre)
I_Was_Saying_Boo_urns
GLIB

Postby buster00 on Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:16 pm

Go. Go to these shows. Jesus Goddamn Christ, GO TO THESE SHOWS.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:20 pm

Syd Barrett 4 EVR!!! WHOOOO!!!! (sorry)
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby I_Was_Saying_Boo_urns on Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:48 pm

I got to see Roger play 6 times for the On The Flesh tour. One night, here, I saw Marilyn Manson down front and the next night, I saw Axl Rose in the very same seat.

Yah, I will definitely see both LA shows and maybe the NY shows too.

Old Rog had a much more extensive tour (two, actually), so it was easier.
I_Was_Saying_Boo_urns
GLIB

Postby I_Was_Saying_Boo_urns on Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:09 pm

Tickets for the LA dates are on sale right now.
I_Was_Saying_Boo_urns
GLIB

Postby minstrel on Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:48 am

I've heard David Gilmour called "the world's greatest slow guitarist". I just think he's one of the best on earth at any speed. Sure, he doesn't race all over the fretboard at Mach 3, like Yngvie Malmsteen, but he has taste, power, and extraordinarily gifted hands. His control of his bends and vibrato is astonishing. And I'd rather listen to Gilmour play 100 notes than Malmsteen play 100,000.

Just thought I'd gush a bit. I'm a fan, what can I say?
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Coheed_and_Cambria on Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:53 pm

I wanna go, but i will still be stuck in Orlando, until at least mid April....dammit.

I hope they pull together and just play as Floyd for a tour again...
Coheed_and_Cambria
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Peven on Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:13 pm

Pink Floyd is IT for me, and i have always been in awe of the way Gilmour can make a guitar sing, giving it a voice with more soul and more expressive than a lot of vocalists out there.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby The Vicar on Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:03 pm

What an excellant excuse to drive to Chicago. Saw him with The Floyd back in the Dark Side tour days...he squeezes pure riff magic out of that guitar neck. It isn't always about seeing how many notes you can crowd together - sometimes its about musical brush strokes on a sonic canvas. And as painters go, Gilmour is a god.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

DAVID GILMOUR: the man the myth the masetro

Postby so sorry on Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:08 pm

I've hijacked and renamed this very old thread to discuss David Gilmour for a few seconds.

Channel surfing last night and came across this David Gilmour concert- “Live in Gdansk” on some random HD channel.
Holy f-ing shit was that good. This is sit-in-the-dark music... Turn off all the lights and put on your headphones and float good. No wonder pot heads love Floyd.

Are there any bands out there now that have a smidgen of this guy’s talent? How old is this dude now? Unreal watching him. Scratch that in-the-dark nonsense, this needs to be seen too.

This song in particular, Take a Breath ( youtube clip here does it no justice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ3aLoIMCUU). This song if fucking ALF good. Never heard it before, but man that's a wicked guitar track right there.

I'm not a Floyd/Gilmour aficionado... their music is generally too dark and depressing for my taste. But seriously, after seeing this concert, I may have to track down some of Gilmour's solo work. I hear that "On and Island" is a great album, as well as Division Bell (the last Floyd project?)
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Re: DAVID GILMOUR: the man the myth the masetro

Postby Fievel on Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:21 pm

so sorry wrote:I hear that "On and Island" is a great album, as well as Division Bell (the last Floyd project?)

The track "On An Island" is like the Pink Floyd song that never was. Could have easily been an outtake of the Wish You Were Here album.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Re: DAVID GILMOUR: the man the myth the masetro

Postby The Vicar on Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:47 pm

so sorry wrote:I'm not a Floyd/Gilmour aficionado... their music is generally too dark and depressing for my taste. But seriously, after seeing this concert, I may have to track down some of Gilmour's solo work. I hear that "On and Island" is a great album, as well as Division Bell (the last Floyd project?)

David's other two solo albums were About Face ( Out of the Blue is superb, as is Until We Sleep) and the self titled David Gilmour ( Short and Sweet & Mihalis stand out) - both recommended.
Darkness aside, Gilmour's guitar work was always the attraction for me with this band. More than Waters or Wright or even Barrett, he WAS Floyd to me. I hope you check these out, Sorry. You should likey.
The Vicar

Re: DAVID GILMOUR: real guitar hero

Postby Peven on Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:19 am

I'm with Vic, as a child of the 70's listening to my older brothers' albums it was the guitar-work of Gilmour that hooked me on Floyd before I listened to the lyrics closely enough or was old enough to really "get" them. and while i certainly became aware of and appreciated the lyrical depth as i grew older, Gilmour's guitar was always the highlight of a Floyd tune for me; the way he blew out the end of "Comfortably Numb" when i saw them in concert was the highlight of the show for me and still the best i have ever seen/heard.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby so sorry on Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:47 am

Will do Vicar. I'm in need of some Christmas list ideas anyway, so this is a good start!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby minstrel on Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:30 pm

I'm with Vic and Peven. Regardless of the contributions of the other members of Pink Floyd, it was always Gilmour's guitar that was the SOUND of the band. Waters could always claim he was the main songwriter (after Barrett fizzled out, of course), but Waters by himself could never sound like Pink Floyd. Gilmour can't help sounding like Pink Floyd. He defined the musical style of the band. Whether he's blowing out the speakers on solos in "Comfortably Numb" or "Money", or playing those exquisitely beautiful legato passages in "Shine On, You Crazy Diamond", he put the Pink Floyd into Pink Floyd's music.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby The Vicar on Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:03 pm

so sorry wrote:Will do Vicar. I'm in need of some Christmas list ideas anyway, so this is a good start!

Somewhat in the same vein, you should pick up, if you haven't already, Moontan by Golden Earring ( the Dutch Pink Floyd).
Radar Love is NOT the best song on the CD - that would be Vanilla Queen. Radar love is, however, one of three songs about the same girl. Some of the rereleases screwed up the batting order - it should go like this; Radar Love ( about our hero burning rubber to get to his lady love), Candy's Going Bad ( kind of speaks for itself) and Vanilla Queen ( what kind of girl gets a moontan? The ones that only come out at night. What do they call those ladies? Vanilla queens.) The ending of VQ, with its brass accents, is sweet.
The Vicar

Return to Music