BEST NEW MUSIC 2K5

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Postby athenabodicea on Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:43 pm

I have loved Green Day since Dookie came out in 94.. And I was psyched when I heard they were coming out with a new album. I think Greenday was definitely one of this years hottest bands and the new album rocks...
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:58 pm

fave album of 2005 = NEED NEW BODY's "Wheres Black Ben?"
favorite song of 2005 = DRY DRUNK EMPEROR by TV ON THE RADIO
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby athenabodicea on Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:04 pm

I also like Wheezer's Beverly Hills.... I can remember buying the Wheezer Blue Album and the Greenday Dookie album together back in 1994... Kinda cool they both hit the charts again together...
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:05 pm

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:favorite song of 2005 = DRY DRUNK EMPEROR by TV ON THE RADIO

~wipes tear from eye~
I got him in to that song
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby vicious_bastard on Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:05 pm

Sov is OK. I liked Cha-ching but thought 9-5 was a bit too poppy. Record company are trying like bastards to break her.

There are a few good UK MCs around at the mo' - Lethal B has got good - great Kray Twins tune with him and Twista coming out. Kano is growing on me and my man Akira The Don is gonna blow up in about a month. Word!! Good blog too.
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:12 pm

Vicious, do you like Skinnyman?
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby athenabodicea on Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:13 pm

Also looking forward to System of a Down's new album....
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:24 pm

Man, I know nothing' bout UK hip hop.

Thanks for the intel.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Flumm on Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:31 pm

OK theres a lot of music beeing offered up here, and quite a few I've not heard of, so there is a lo of scribbling of names and stuff from my side of things.

I wasn't gonna add anything here because a lot of my reading, listening and watching habbits, are filled up with catching up on reccomendations, mosty stuff considered classic, or the best in thier field. So when it comes to music theres a lot of retro stuff beeing downloaded by me, but at the same time, I'm checking out magazines and websites, looking for the best stuff just coming out, and on the fringes. So i thought I'd post several tracks from stuff that's eihter newish, and stuff thats classic, but probably that I've just discovered or that I'm really loving.

OK, I should also mention, that I try to teach myself guitar in random spurts, so some of the music may interesting more for it's sounds that it's lyrical content.

In no particular order:

1: The Beatles: Real Love from Anthology II
Free As A Birn from Anthology I
Tommorow Never Knows from Revolver
Rocky Racoon from White Album
Lovely Rita from Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

2. Beck: Nobody's Fault But My Own from Mutations

3. Black Box Recorder: Child Pychology from England Made Me
Facts of life (alb version) from The Facts Of life

3. Bloodhound Gang: Foxtrot Unifrom Charlie Kilo

4. Bruce Springsteen: Born To Run Album espicially

She's The one
10th Avenue Freeze Out
Backstreets

5: Camille: Le Fil

OK this is a really amazing album. It's always gonna matter what songs you hear first with an artist, but to give you an idea, she's like french Beck, for the experiemantal idiosychrotic intelligence. And maybe some Bjork thrown in the the more electronnic stuff. Definately check out

Ta Douler
Au Port
Quande Le Marche

Ok this is getting kinda long now so il just do a few tracks then sign out

The Shins: Turn A Quare
Roots Manuva : Too Cold
The Cooper Temple Clause : Who Needs Enemys

There's more, but I'm begging to feel you get bored, before you've even read this, so I'm outta here. Great thread btw!
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:34 pm

TonyWilson wrote:
ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:favorite song of 2005 = DRY DRUNK EMPEROR by TV ON THE RADIO

~wipes tear from eye~
I got him in to that song

lol, it's true! i wonder if they're even going to put it on an album or if it's just gonna be a freebie... it's seriously a great song; musically and lyrically... made me cry it did...
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:42 pm

It's funny, I'm on the main site and forum of a movie webpage and I'm having chats about music on both. Hehe.
TonyWilson

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:45 pm

TonyWilson wrote:It's funny, I'm on the main site and forum of a movie webpage and I'm having chats about music on both. Hehe.

Hey, teh Zone is more than just a movie, Herc's Fault, @ssholes type of place.

And where are you on the main site?
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:48 pm

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=21380

Somone called Bob Dylan overrated and I had to call him on it. It got quite entertaining.
TonyWilson

Postby Brocktune on Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:50 pm

best new music for august of 2005 (a little bit late, i know)

Ninja Academy - "Bra'ka'dOm"
www.ninjaacademy.com
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Flumm on Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:51 pm

I dont see the main site for less than a day, and there's more news stories been posted than there has been in what, a week?
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:02 pm

TonyWilson wrote:http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=21380

Somone called Bob Dylan overrated and I had to call him on it. It got quite entertaining.

geez! what was up with that guy? now that we're all in the Zone, it's weird to look at the TBs. everyones all angry!

the one negative thing i have to say about Dylan, and it has nothing to do with him, is the vast proliferation of really bad singer song-writer music thats emerged from people trying to be him. there is this radio station in Philly called WXPN that is just crammed to the brim with Dylan Jrs who are just awful...

i'm not really the biggest fan of Dylan, but clearly anyone who knows anything about music has to give props to the man; he's a genius... especially lyrically...

but, for my money, as far as tone deaf singers are concerned, Lou Reed is way cooler...
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:03 pm

Brocktune wrote:best new music for august of 2005 (a little bit late, i know)

Ninja Academy - "Bra'ka'dOm"
www.ninjaacademy.com

Not bad. I like bands that give music away.

But no offense, best part for me was after I downloaded it, Nirvana's From the Muddy Banks... was next on my player.
<sniff>
I still miss Kurt. :(
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:06 pm

glad you checked them out, ive been raving about these dudes tyring to get as many people to listen as possible. it really grows on you more and more as you listen to it.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Flumm on Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:13 pm

Shelter From The Storm and Things Have Changed are two of the finest examples of song writing I have yet to hear.
Last edited by Flumm on Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:15 pm

Flumm wrote:Shelter From The Storm and Things Have Changed are two of the finest examples song writing I have yet to hear.

yeah, i love both of those songs.
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Flumm on Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:51 pm

I only really know Dylan from the Definitive Edition CD, and some other odd tracks here and there. Any reccomendations for classic songs from him a little off the beaten track?
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:33 pm

for all you kids out there scratching your heads, wondering just who the fuck most of the bands are on my list, here's a couple of songs by the worlds greatest bar-rock band, The Hold Steady.

http://www.villagevoice.com/blogs/statusainthood/archives/2005/09/the_hold_steady.php

Free music is good. Quality article as well.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby St. Alphonzo on Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:38 pm

Flumm wrote:I only really know Dylan from the Definitive Edition CD, and some other odd tracks here and there. Any reccomendations for classic songs from him a little off the beaten track?

You really can't go wrong with anything from his 60's and early 70's albums. His albums through the 80s are pretty weak. Make sure you check out Time Out Of Mind from 1997. I think it stacks up with any of his greatest classic albums. The song "Not Dark Yet" is just brilliant.
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby Flumm on Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:26 pm

Cool, I definately need to explore some more Dylan, sometimes you just to escape and fall in love with a really quality album, instead of cheating a bit and sticking with the Best Of.

There's a whole bunch of classic artists I wanna explore to a better degree, but I would say, Dylan, The Kinks, Bowie, and Loe Reed are at the top of my list at the minute.

Oh and I do have "Not Dark Yet", and it's a good call Alphonzo, anyone who hasn't heard that one needs to hear it, haunting is not the word.

Cheers mate
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby St. Alphonzo on Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:39 pm

Flumm wrote:Cool, I definately need to explore some more Dylan, sometimes you just to escape and fall in love with a really quality album, instead of cheating a bit and sticking with the Best Of.

There's a whole bunch of classic artists I wanna explore to a better degree, but I would say, Dylan, The Kinks, Bowie, and Loe Reed are at the top of my list at the minute.

Oh and I do have "Not Dark Yet", and it's a good call Alphonzo, anyone who hasn't heard that one needs to hear it, haunting is not the word.

Cheers mate

Also check out the song "Boots Of Spanish Leather" off of The Times They Are A-Changin'. Just amazing poetry.
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:38 pm

D@mn i-tunes! $29.97 you got from my drunken high last night!

So I decided to believe the hype and see what all the fuss is over Wolf Parade (Apologies to the Queen Mary is scoring a 90 at metacritic, trident err, Pitchfork gave it a 92!). After one listen...nuthin'. Didn't do it for me. They've been compared to Arcade Fire, Broken Social Scene (more on them later) and Modest Mouse, and while I can hear the influences this album is in no way better than what came before it. Big dissappointment so far, but that was only one listen. Hopefully it'll grow on me.

Broken Social Scene new self titled on the other hand grabbed my shaved scrotum in just the right way. Wow. That is indie-rock at it's finest, with song #2 "Ibi dreams of Pavement (A Better Day)" being one of the finest songs I've heard all year (giving a shout a to Pavement was cool, sounding like BSS doing Pavement? SOLD!). Fuck that Wolf Parade shite, this is how it's done.

And then, last but not least, the good lookin', snappy dressers from Scotland Franz Ferdinand. While nothing on "You Can Have it So Much Better" stood out like, well, "Take Me Out" I got the feeling that anyone seeing the band live will be pleased. Huge riffs, lots of fun, none of that "ooh, we're gonna write a second album 'bout how miserable fame is"...they want to be famous! Fun stuff.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:43 pm

Oh yeh the BSS is a great great album, I'm loving "Major Label Debut" and Shorelines at the moment.
Wolf Parade have been getting some notice round these parts but I haven't heard anything by them yet.

Anyone into a little bit of Richard Cheese/Lounge Against The Machine...I heard Stairway to Heaven last night, its brilliant.
I mostly been listening to some old school Jazz records, anyone heard Sun Ra? Oh and I got The Bad Plus album too. Very crazy but some really amazing skills.
TonyWilson

Postby Brocktune on Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:48 pm

keepcoolbutcare wrote:And then, last but not least, the good lookin', snappy dressers from Scotland Franz Ferdinand. While nothing on "You Can Have it So Much Better" stood out like, well, "Take Me Out" I got the feeling that anyone seeing the band live will be pleased. Huge riffs, lots of fun, none of that "ooh, we're gonna write a second album 'bout how miserable fame is"...they want to be famous! Fun stuff.

ive been on the fence with this one. the first record was really good, but that new song thats been on the radio (which i listen to infrequently) isnt so hot. it s a little cheesy to me. they are going to be in town next weekend, i was thinking about going to see them, and your praise may have just sealed the deal. maybe i will pick up the new cd. hmmmm.....
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:56 pm

Brocktune, I'd recommend going to the show, then making up your mind over buying the album. I wasn't that impressed (yet) but with those pounding hooks it just sounds like it'll pack a wallop live.

Sun Ra? Damn good stuff. Which Bad Plus album? Loved the debut (I like freakin' people out at the bar and playing their cover of Smells Like Teen Spirit) but that's the only one I got from them. I heard they're smokin' live.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:00 pm

I got These are The Vistas, I love Heart of Glass, and I've got their Iron Man cover as well.
TonyWilson

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:09 pm

TonyWilson wrote:I got These are The Vistas, I love Heart of Glass, and I've got their Iron Man cover as well.

Yup. That's the debut. They've got two other albums as well. The only time I've heard the "Iron Man" cover was, once again, at the bar. Always good to see the quizzical looks on the punters faces, the scrunched up look of pensiveness as they look around, thinking they've heard this before, somewhere, sometime. It's so easy to fuck with drunkards.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:45 am

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:
The Garbage Man wrote:"Ghost of You" is my favorite song on the album. What have you heard about the video?

Every report I hear its supposed to be the most amazing three and half minutes of film ever synchronized to a pop song. It has a WW2 theme and I imagine its chock-a-block with as much mayhem as allowed. It's supposed to be on the airwaves sometime in October. I'm tempering my expectations because, hey, its just a music video.

The video is up on MCR's website. It's some pretty fucking good video making. I shudder to think how much it cost.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Flumm on Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:54 am

Saving Private Goth
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Flumm on Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:54 pm

Someone mentioned LAdy Soveriegn before, and I have to say the only thing I can think of her from is t hat Streets remix of "Fit, but Don't You Know It", and her latest one "9 to 5", which I really like actually. It's kinda light gimicky brit hop stuff, but it works I think. It's good to actually see the British urban music scene diversify and get it's own identity, instead of adopting america's I think too...

And anyone else really loving Goldfrapp's new single, "Number 1"? It's got a gread video too... I wasn't too keen on the first from the new album, but this one is one of my favourite recent singles easy.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:21 am

if, as rumored, Lady Sov signs with Jay-Z she's gonna be fucking huge in the states.

Jigga's got the golden touch, and someone from the UK grime/hip-hop is gonna break over here someday. My money's on the cute little white girl.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:52 am

1st lady of british music ? ( well at the moment anyway ) M.I.A. - Arular is a superb debut album, and should have won the Mercury prize in my book............
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:58 am

thedoglippedone wrote:1st lady of british music ? ( well at the moment anyway ) M.I.A. - Arular is a superb debut album, and should have won the Mercury prize in my book............

I'll buy that for $10!
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:12 am

Have you got Arular KeepCool?.............I just cannot stop listening to it .....something new every time I put it on............
Some reviews - http://www.metacritic.com/music/artists/mia/arular

Between this and Interpol's latest my other new CD's do not get much of look in..............
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby doglips on Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:12 am

Oh Guero gets a look in though..........Another great album....
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:37 am

keepcoolbutcare wrote:Jigga's got the golden touch, and someone from the UK grime/hip-hop is gonna break over here someday. My money's on the cute little white girl.

I'd go for Dizzee rascal myself - I'm DJing at a club in Hackney tonight as it goes - expecting it to be as grimy as they come, in more ways than one!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:30 pm

doglips...hey great avatar, man. See pg.1 of this thread, M.I.A Arular, with $10 being my fave song off the album...so the I'd buy that for $10...oh, you get it. Great album, seen her twice already.

T.i.t.G....I love the Rascal, but I just don't see him becoming huge over here (less he signs with Jigga as well). We've already got a plethora of black MC's in our country who don't get the props they deserve, I just can't see Diz making it huge here. He's got a small following, it may grow a bit with time, but it's the critcs who've been slobbering over him, not the fans. I want him to succeed and all, just can't see him being huge.

One more thing T.i.t.G....you're obviously very intelligent, we share similiar tastes in film/music, you're a DJ (DROOL!)and we both have a thing for Justin. Now, I'm not g@y, but if you ever wanna hold hands in public, I'm down. 8)
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:40 pm

keepcoolbutcare wrote:Jigga's got the golden touch, and someone from the UK grime/hip-hop is gonna break over here someday. My money's on the cute little white girl.

my money is on "The Streets"
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:47 pm

Cheers KeepCool, Anderson all the way for me.....Yep should have read the first page of the thread........I like the Four Tet stuff and you can never have enough Stephen Malkmus. ( Preston School of Industry?, Rival Schools?, You like? ).... The White Stripes are always amazing...........You list quite a bit that I will have to check out, I will let you know what I think.............The new Queens album is excellent, very laid back and Homme just gets better lyrically with each album, I think Nick leaving has given a more polished end product......but this could be viewed as a good and bad thing........I do like their harder side............Gorrilaz - Albarn = genius, Nuff said, oh check out their contribution to the WARCHILD album - Hong Kong, a really great track........

Postby Flumm on Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:47 pm

In regards to Guero, the fav Beck song at the minute is Nobodys Fault But My Own, it's a little downbeat, but it's got great production and is brilliantly atmospheric

I'm defiantely gonna download some MIA later, I was trying to listen to some stuff by all the Mercury nominees, but I got side tracked by Maximo Park and The Go Team!.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:48 pm

Brocktune, if you like The Streets check out KANO's debut album - very good................
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby doglips on Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:50 pm

I used to go to Art College with the Go-Teams bass player, he's a nice chap, and it's a great album..........Flumm, Sea Change is in my top ten albums of all time, no question..........
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:51 pm

Flummster you're lovinmg the Go Team! to huh? Fracking great Album definitely should have won the Mercury prize (although it's a curse in someways I 'spose.) I don't know where you are in teh UK but if you ever get the chance to see the Go Team! in brighton, there home time, then grab it. One of the best gigs I've ever seen.
TonyWilson

Postby vicious_bastard on Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:51 pm

Kano deserves to be bigger. A lot of talk about Sway. Not heard him yet. A lot of grime tunes have really shit beats, the production needs to get better before it can make it big. It is getting better - again that Kray Twins/Twista/Bizzle track is the kind of thing I want to hear more of.
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:52 pm

Anyone a fan of The Knife?
TonyWilson

Postby Brocktune on Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:52 pm

Flumm wrote:In regards to Guero, the fav Beck song at the minute is Nobodys Fault But My Own, it's a little downbeat, but it's got great production and is brilliantly atmospheric

uhh... that track isnt on "Guero". unless you have some european special edition with bonus tracks or something...

EDIT: "Nobodys Fault but my Own" is on "Mutations"
Last edited by Brocktune on Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

PreviousNext

Return to Music