Anybody else like Richard (and Linda) Thompson? Poll time!

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

What's your favorite Richard (and Linda) Thompson album

Shoot Out the Lights
25%
Hand of Kindness
No votes
Hokey Pokey
25%
Daring Adventures
No votes
Amnesia
No votes
Rumor and Sigh
50%
Mirror Blue
No votes

Total votes : 4

Anybody else like Richard (and Linda) Thompson? Poll time!

Postby DennisMM on Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:37 pm

What's your favorite Richard Thompson/Richard and Linda Thompson album? Forgive the limited selections. These bloody polls!

I'm a stereotype. For me it's "Shoot Out the Lights." I can sing along accurately with nearly every song. After that it's a tossup between "Rumor and Sigh" and "Mirror Blue." I lean towards "Rumor" because I saw Thompson play solo on the "Rumor" tour. I was ten feet from him at Iowa State's Maintenance Shop. On a boot video I own, you can hear me shouting for "Wall of Death" -- and Thompson mocking me. Ah, youth!
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby docfalken on Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:46 pm

Didn't she used to date Elvis?
docfalken
HAGGIS?!?!!?!!?!

Postby DennisMM on Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:14 pm

docfalken wrote:Didn't she used to date Elvis?

lol. Different Linda Thompson. But Elvis's ex did marry Bruce Jenner, then composer David Foster, with whom she wrote a number of crappy songs for movies including "The Bodyguard" and "Pretty Woman."

So, we've got one musically talented Linda Thompson and one musically crap Linda Thompson. Sorry for the confusion.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby Seppuku on Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:51 pm

I'll be going to the Fairport Convention Convention thing this year, so I'm schooling myself up on Richard & Linda's music as fast as possible. I've got a couple of the Fairport albums, but do you have any recommendations where to start with their solo music Dennis? I've got a DVD which has them performing the song A Heart Needs a Home. Know which album that's on, because it was a lovely track?
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby minstrel on Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:04 pm

I'm a major fan of Richard Thompson. I saw him play live in Victoria, BC once - it was the Rumor and Sigh tour and he did a stellar version of '52 Vincent Black Lightning.

Those Fairport Convention albums with him and Sandy Denny and miraculous. His great songs and guitar with her goddesslike vocals - beautiful!

As for Richard and his wife, I guess Shoot Out The Lights is the classic.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby papalazeru on Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:07 pm

Who?

Is this anyone like Susan Cagle?

Is that him?
Last edited by papalazeru on Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Seppuku on Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:19 pm

Thanks Minstrel, I'll give it a listen before I go see them. And I agree with you about those Fairport Convention albums, they're otherworldly. So to return the good deed, I recommend you check out The Incredible String Band and Roy Harper, if you haven't already (I've been a fan of them both for a few years, but they're both gonna be at this festival).

And papa, add a long scraggly beard to the guy in the pic and you'll be a little bit closer to the real thing.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby minstrel on Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:26 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:Thanks Minstrel, I'll give it a listen before I go see them. And I agree with you about those Fairport Convention albums, they're otherworldly. So to return the good deed, I recommend you check out The Incredible String Band and Roy Harper, if you haven't already (I've been fans for a few years, but they're both gonna be at the festival).

And papa, add a long scraggly beard to the guy in the pic and you'll be a little bit closer to the real thing.

Wow! I didn't even know the Incredible String Band was still touring! Is Robin Williamson still with them? I thought he was off doing other things long ago. (When I was a kid I learned to play the tin whistle from his instruction book ... )

I have a copy of The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter, and it's one of the strangest and most creative records I've ever heard. Oddly beautiful, though.
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Lurker Johnson on Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:27 pm

Help me out here: what genre/style are these Thompson Twins?

I'm punny!

HA!
Lurker Johnson
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Seppuku on Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:36 pm

I thought you might have heard of them Minstrel. It's not the original line-up, naturally. I'm not sure if Robin's still with them, and if he's not then I guess that's half the spirit of the band gone right there, but even if they're only on half-power I'm still excited to check them out.

Hangman's a beautiful album, especially A Very Cellular Song (although it sounds more like six songs in one). Minstrels indeed! I also love The 5000 Spirits or The Layers of the Onion, and with a title like that you pretty much know whether you're going to like it or not before you even listen to it.

I love all this folk music, so I'll report back to this thread after the festival.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby DennisMM on Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:04 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:I'll be going to the Fairport Convention Convention thing this year, so I'm schooling myself up on Richard & Linda's music as fast as possible. I've got a couple of the Fairport albums, but do you have any recommendations where to start with their solo music Dennis? I've got a DVD which has them performing the song A Heart Needs a Home. Know which album that's on, because it was a lovely track?

"A Heart Needs a Home" is from Hokey Pokey, over 30 years old now. Damn.

I must admit that I am primarily a Richard solo fan, though I am always astounded by their harmonies.

Shoot Out the Lights is their masterpiece. It seems to foreshadow their break-up, though it was written while the marriage was still in reasonably good shape.

I, too, saw Richard on his Rumour and Sigh tour, solo acoustic. I sat about 15 feet from him and got to watch his incredible simultaneous strumming and picking. The man is a god of guitar. I saw him perhaps five years ago on an electric, group tour including his son Teddy. Wow.

I am not good about buying music, even though I worked in music stores for close to ten years. I heard my music there and used my money to buy comic books. lol

For Richard solo, start with Rumour and Sigh. From there, my favorite is Mirror Blue, which extends some of the themes of R&S and has two heartbreaking songs, "Beeswing" and the "Angel Eye"-like "I'll Be Taking My Business Elsewhere."

NOTE: This thread was revived after ELEVEN MONTHS!
DennisMM

Postby Lurker Johnson on Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:08 am

Okay, you guys are still not helping me out. What type of music is this, please.

I'm too lazy to look it up for myself and if this is <i>The Night of the Living Thread</i> (y'know, being resurrected, and all), then please let me know what I'm missing/sleeping on.

Is it Slayer with a Pearl Jam twist?

Spoilers, please.
Lurker Johnson
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Return to Music