Mike Patton

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

What is Patton's greatest project?

Mr. Bungle
33%
Faith No More
50%
Tomahawk
No votes
Fantomas
17%

Total votes : 12

Mike Patton

Postby DrillerKiller on Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:08 am

Dunno about the rest of you but I think he's the greatest thing to ever happen to music (Zappa aside). Everything he touches turns to gold, no matter what genre it is he's dipping his balls in now. My favourite band of all time are Mr Bungle, closely followed by Faith No More and Fantomas, and then Tomahawk, Maldoror, Lovage, Peeping Tom are all exceptional in their own way, and to a lesser extent projects with X-ecutioners, Naked City, Kaada, Weird Little Boy and Melt Banana (don't forget his fucked up solo albums, 8-track insanity that's damn near impossible to listen to but no less impressive for it) have all proved to be more interesting than your typical musical collaboration.

Not only has he got the coolest influences and tastes (it was his recommendations that turned me onto cannibal movies and 50's sci-fi), but he's the best and most versatile singer working today.

I know there are a shitload of you who won't agree, so discuss....
Wellycome....in jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam
DrillerKiller
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Pudie on Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:10 am

Faith No More.

Where the fuck did you hear Peeping Tom? That's not even out yet.
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby DrillerKiller on Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:10 am

Ahhh the joys of the internet. Download it! It's all there!
DrillerKiller
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:12 am

can't argue a man who went on tour with Rahzel.

when he nailed "easy" way back when i was sold.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby jgraphix on Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:12 am

It's a close one between Mr. Bungle and FNM....I'm gonna have to go with Mr. Bungle.
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby TONY DEWONDERFUL on Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:18 am

I met Mike Patton about ten years ago in London, he was cool. My friend baffled him by explaining the rules of football (soccer to you yanks) then we all went to another club where the singer out of The Scorpions came out of the mens room and said 'Good coke, ya!'

Didn't he used to leave his own feces in hotel hairdryers so the next guest would... well, you get the picture. Sick fuck.
TONY DEWONDERFUL
GLIB

Postby DrillerKiller on Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:35 am

ENTERTAININGLY sick fuck! Forgot to include Rahzel in there, knew I was forgetting someone. That stuff is class.

I call Mr. Bungle my favourite because of their 3 albums each of which I think is perfect, thus every bit as good as each other in their own fucked up way. Even their demos were amazing - with stuff like Bloody Mary and Mr. Nice Guy on there it's amazing they haven't been remastered and re-released yet. But then they all have such a wonderful homemade feel to them that you wouldn't really wanna fuck with them.
DrillerKiller
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Vegeta on Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:41 am

Yeah Mike Patton is exceptionally talented. I've been a Faith No More fan since '89. I really like Mr. Bungle - California... cool album. Never got that into Tomahawk or Fantomas, I heard Fantomas was just a bunch of screamiing.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:43 am

Fantomas. Mr. Bungle is cool, but the Boredoms (their nearest analog) are better.

I don't know if you realize this but Patton did some cool vocal work on Bjork's latest album (along with the insanely amazing Rahzel) -- the one where all of the music is voice based? it's neato.
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby DrillerKiller on Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:08 pm

Medulla - yeah it's a cracker of an album. I tend to buy anything in any way affiliated with him and usually I wouldn't be too taken with Bjork, but that really is class. Tought to listen to the first couple of times without music but eventually...dayum! Fantomas did a cover of one of the songs too, but I've yet to hear it.

Thanks man, must check out the Boredoms. If you liked Mr Bungle and want to see where the musicians ended up, check out Secret Chiefs 3 - arabian styled surf rock. Basically it's the brainchild of Trey Spruance, highly original. It's savage cabbage.

Vegeta - Fantomas are more than just screaming. It's organised chaos. Couldn't believe how good they were live when I saw them recently (with Mr Terry Bozzio standing in for Lombardo no less), and if you're a film fan (which I somehow gather you are!) you'd love The Director's Cut. They cover classic movies themes like Godfather, Rosemary's Baby, Cape Fear, Twin Peaks, Spider Baby, Charade, HENRY, The Devil Rides Out, The Omen and Night of the Hunter. Excellent stuff - it's classical themes mixed witrh manic outbursts. I bet you'd love it.
DrillerKiller
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby jgraphix on Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:09 pm

The Directors Cut is the bomb diggity yo!
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby St. Alphonzo on Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:18 pm

Mr. Bungle!!!!

"Egg", "My Ass Is On Fire", "Travolta" (before they had to change the name).

That first album is just about perfect.
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby DrillerKiller on Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:07 pm

Check out Mr. Bungle's cover of the Pee-Wee Herman Breakfast theme, oh, and the Pink Panther and Super Mario Bros and Zelda while you're at it. Live; they've covered just about everything, from More than Words to Thunderball to Give it away (their Chili's pisstakes are the best, especially when you consider the history between the two bands).
DrillerKiller
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:22 pm

DrillerKiller wrote:Mr Terry Bozzio standing in for Lombardo no less)

Terry Bozzio plays with Fantomas?! holy shit! i didn't know that! they should do a cover of "Punky's Whips"!
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Brocktune on Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:50 pm

lovage is the most disappointing thing patton has done. dont get me wrong, i own and love that record. but every song is exactly the same. every song has the same beat and the same bass line. so by the time i get to the end of the record, im like "boring!". i mostly blame the automator, as he uses the exact same beat on every one of his handsome boy modeling school tracks as well. weak. that is the one thing that makes me not look forward to the release of the peeping tom stuff.
bungle is the greatest there ever was. there will never be another as good. its just too bad those fucks cant get the fuck along, and keep making records. im a pretty huge patton mark, and i buy anything he does, but sometimes it seems he stretches himself a little thin. tomahawk is fucking great, because its not so much a patton thing, as it is a duane denison thing. although, as much as i love patton, he could never be david yow. as far as fantomas goes, the directors cut is fantastic, however misleading. if i were to try to get somebody into fantomas, and i started with TDC, then tried to go to something like Delirium Cordia, i think people would be like wtf? tdc is a far cry from the rest of their catalog. im really ill right now, so my thoughts are a little convoluted right now, so bear with me. seeing patton and rahzel was awesome. i remember the first time i heard "if your mother only knew", i was like wouldnt it be cool if this dude got together with patton, and then he did. awesome. actually, from a musical standpoint, trey's secret chiefs 3 is the best bungle "side project" around. first and second grand constitution were amazin, book m was unreal, and book of horizons isout of this fucking world. seriously, one of if not the greatest concept albums of all times. yeah, i said it, fuck tool and sgt. peppers. they dont even hold a candle to the genius of trey spruance. if you are one of those who prefers the sc3, may i refer you to ESTRADASPHERE treys proteges. they dont sound like bungle, but there is a natural connection. they are a little more hippy jam band meets eastern european balkan boogie, but they are amazing nonetheless. man, ive been a patton mark for so long now, i could go on for hours. oh yeah, and fuck the chili peppers too! bungle 4 life baby!
Last edited by Brocktune on Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:50 pm

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:
DrillerKiller wrote:Mr Terry Bozzio standing in for Lombardo no less)

Terry Bozzio plays with Fantomas?! holy shit! i didn't know that! they should do a cover of "Punky's Whips"!

it was only a temporary replacement for mr. dave lombardo who had to go on tour with a reunited slayer. bozzio isnt part of the regular line up.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pudie on Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:57 pm

I, for one, don't like Fantomas. I respect the whole band as musicians but I just can't stand it.
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:31 pm

Brocktune wrote:as he uses the exact same beat on every one of his handsome boy modeling school tracks as well. weak.

and here i used to respect you.

"Rock and Roll (Could never hip-hop like this)" and "magnetizing", the first two tracks off PRINCE PAUL and automator's first collab, have radically different beats...and they're THE FIRST TWO TRACKS!

i respect you and all brock but c'mon...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DrillerKiller on Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:13 am

Brocktune - it's deadly to see another so zealous for Patton projects. I agree with pretty much all of your post - the Lovage album was certainly the weakest yet (as great as it is, Anger Management is a true classic at least), mainly due to the repetition and general lazy attitude to the music. That girl's voice sure is sweet though. Take my word for it - the 5 or 6 Peeping Tom tracks I managed to download are all better than the Lovage stuff, and much more dynamic.

He does seem to have become complacent lately though, he's just not pushing himself as hard as he used to. His lyrics are getting worse and his choices safer. Saying that though I still think he's head and shoulders above most other innovators. Fantomas are testament to that. Myself, I'd put Suspended Animation almost on a par with the Director's Cut, I'm crazy about both those albums. The self titled and Delerium Cordia take a long time to get used to alright, and have to be listened to straight through, and I've tried for ages to get friends to share the joy, they never get it. It's understandable if you're not a Patton fan though, we'll lap anything up. Even Adult Themes for Voice got a tryout among the gang and I was consequently assaulted for my troubles. Ah welly!

As far as SC3 goes I'm very impressed. Their albums cost 33 sheets to buy here (no shit) and aren't all that available, so all I have is First Grand Constitution..., Book M and a copy of a few songs off Book of Horizons and their Good Vibrations cover. The way you paint Book of Horizons I'm rabid to get it all now, what I've heard is the best SC3 yet. I wish they'd get Trevor Dunn involved a bit more though. Is it just me or is Blaze of the Grail still their best song?

Anyway, thanks for the recommendations (I'm always looking for something weird); I'll look for David Yow (never heard of the man) and Estradasphere but don't hold out too much hope yet due to the state of our music trade here.

As for Bozzio, was it just us in Europe who were lucky enough to see him with Fantomas? That's what I heard. That gig was nuts, he was reading the drumlines off music sheets while playing, looked as if it was hard work and that he wasn't too familiar with the music, but he never fucked up. Respect to the man, he's gotten even better than he was with Zappa.
DrillerKiller
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby wonkabar on Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:51 am

Angel-Dust...what a great album

What, no love for Chuck Mosely? "We care alot!""
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Brocktune on Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:38 pm

keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Brocktune wrote:as he uses the exact same beat on every one of his handsome boy modeling school tracks as well. weak.

and here i used to respect you.

"Rock and Roll (Could never hip-hop like this)" and "magnetizing", the first two tracks off PRINCE PAUL and automator's first collab, have radically different beats...and they're THE FIRST TWO TRACKS!

i respect you and all brock but c'mon...

ok, i must admit that my experience with the automator is limited to loveage, handsome boy modeling school, and one or two dr. octagon tracks. so i guess its safe to say that i havent heard the best stuff yet. but, if you listen to that loveage record, with the exception of the kid koala track, the whole album sounds the same. dont get me wrong, i do love it, but it seems a little redundant in places. but, you do know your stuff, kc. so i am definitely going to see if i can get ahold of that early stuff and check it out. i hope we can still be friends :wink:

drillerkiller - first, the chick from loveage. her name is jennifer charles, and her voice is awesome. absolutely dripping with sex. when i saw loveage, she was wearing like some kind of slip or nightgown or something, and i had a hard time restraining myself from climbing onto the stage and pouncing on her. if you like her voice, check out "elysian fields". she also did a track on the first firewater record called mr. cardiac. good stuff.

suspended animation is fantomas's best record. i kind of dont count the directors cut, as its all covers. but the first time i listened to SA, i was in heaven. especially as i am a big fan of carl stalling. i think patton is too, as ive always felt that "ma meeska mow skwoz" on disco volante was bungles homage to both mr stalling and raymond scott. delirium cordia is definitely my least favorite. not that i dont like it, its just really hard to get into. but the packaging is too awesome.

as for the secret chiefs 3. first, as to the issue of trevor dunn. i thimk that when bungle broke up, there were sort of two camps. there was the patton camp, that included trev. and then there was the spruance camp, that included trey, heifetz, and bar mckinnon. i cant confirm this, but im pretty sure trvor dunn is on the same bad terms with trey spruance, as patton is. although he did play on dolorous stroke on book m. but im pretty sure dunn's tenure with the sc3 is done. book of horizons is supposed to be the first in a 12 part concept album series. if you get it, look in the liner notes. they have basically turned the secret chiefs 3 into like 6 separate bands all with different styles. for example 2 or 3 of the tracks are by "holy vehm" and they do like super death metal, then there is "ur" and they do the surf tracks etc. it is fucking insane. the reason i suggested estradasphere. is because like all of those guys play with the sc3 now. so if you like the chiefs, you will like estradasphere.

david yow - was the lead singer of the greatest band ever to come out of chicago, and one of the greatest bands ever, The Jesus Lizard. i mentioned him, because duane denison, who is the guitarist for tomahawk was also the guitarist for the jesus lizard. he (yow) was definitely unorthodox, but thats what made him so awesome. they can be something of an acquired taste, but i swear to god, not many albums will kick your ass like the jesus lizard's "Goat".

terry bozzio i think toured with them here in the u.s. as well. i actually didnt get to see them on this tour disappointingly. but its funny the way you describe the way he was playing. it was exactly the same thing for the first fantomas gig ever. it was at slims in san francisco back in 98, patton said that that show was their 5th practise. lombardo was totally watching patton for the cues, and reading off charts. it was great.

wonkabar wrote:What, no love for Chuck Mosely? "We care alot!""

IPAMPILASH!
ah good old chuck mosely. yet another acquired taste.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:48 pm

Brocktune wrote:ok, i must admit that my experience with the automator is limited to loveage, handsome boy modeling school, and one or two dr. octagon tracks. so i guess its safe to say that i havent heard the best stuff yet. but, if you listen to that loveage record, with the exception of the kid koala track, the whole album sounds the same. dont get me wrong, i do love it, but it seems a little redundant in places. but, you do know your stuff, kc. so i am definitely going to see if i can get ahold of that early stuff and check it out. i hope we can still be friends :wink:

oh i'm not arguing. You're spot on 'bout Lovage, no doubt. Just don't lump in PRINCE PAUL and Automator's Handsome Boy into that "redundant beats" category.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:05 pm

word to that. ive liked prince paul since the 3 feet high and rising days. and his stuff with HBMS is much better and more original sounding than the automators
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Return to Music