Jam Bands - Hippies unite!

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Jam Bands - Hippies unite!

Postby Bean on Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:08 pm

Do we have any Zone Hippies here? What are your guys' favorite jam bands? Any bands you'd reccomend, or wnat to share any stories?

I went to the finale of the Big Summer Classic, and Umprey's McGee, Yonder Mountain String Band, Keller Williams and String Cheese did not disapoint, they were amazing! Best moment was either the couple next to me who actually had medical marijuana from California (wow.. great stuff) or when everyone started jumpin in the lake.
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:21 pm

not a fan of the jammies myself, but Robert Randolph and the Family Band are freakin' awesome. The Word, with RR, Medeski, and the North Mississippi All Stars have one great album and word is they're working on another.

Randolph and his pedal string guitar in a small club covering Jimi's "Voodoo Chile" is one of the best live music moments I've ever had the pleasure to experience. (Ha! Get it, mentioned Jimi, then experience!)

*******still early in the morning for me (yeah, I know it's 3:00pm but I went to bed at 9:00am) I had fever dreams involving Locke's story ideas and I'm still bitter the girl I comped 3 drinks for left with her friends instead of waiting for me to finish cleaning the bar.**************
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bean on Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:21 pm

Family Band is pretty sick, you saw a show of theirs??
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:23 pm

yes indeedy, 2k1, Northhampton, Ma. Got a t-shirt too.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:20 pm

hippies? jam bands? ive got one word for all of you:
ESTRADASPHERE
http://www.estradasphere.com
combining the hippie jam style with the improvisational, and difficult jazz style with the Mr. Bungle, Naked City genre hopping style. these guys are a-fucking-mazing. ive seen them like a thousand times, and they keep getting better every single time i see 'em. ESTRADASPHERE - check it out one time, wont you?
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby I_Was_Saying_Boo_urns on Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:10 am

I saw Trey's tour closer last night at the Wiltern and thinking of going back there for Umphrey's and Ratdog this week.

I like the venue a lot but I thought Trey's rig was maybe a bit much for the place. The high end was crackly, but that also may have only been the vocals. Dunno. Great stuff, that aside.
I_Was_Saying_Boo_urns
GLIB

Postby Fievel on Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:50 pm

Saw 50 Phish shows. 9 Grateful Dead shows. A handful of moe. shows, MMW, Galactic, Leftover Salmon, Dave Matthews Band, Trey, etc. between 1993-2000, and then just stopped. The music is cool, and the majority of the people that go to those shows are cool. But the random fratboy loaded on Budweiser with the girlfriend that spent more on her clothes than I make in a month, the rich kids that purposefull try to look and act poor so they can support their heroin habit without Mummy and Daddy finding out, to the actual Mob plants that sell said heroin.... it's just not worth my time, patience, or money to go see shows like that anymore.

I'd rather see a marching band competition....... and I'm serious.

There will always be great live music, and that is the truth. Kudos to those who perform it and kudos to those who are able to freely enjoy it.

p.s. Ekoostic Hookah is one of the worst bands I've ever seen in my life. Talk about store-bought hippies.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Pudie on Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:50 pm

Does The Mars Volta count as a jam band? Im a TMV fanboy!
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby jgraphix on Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:51 pm

Ditto on TMV and Coheed and Cambria
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby Bean on Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:55 pm

Er.. no those bands really aren't jam bands lol.

I_Was_Saying_Boo_urns:

I love Umphrey's, I saw them at Big Summer Classic and they're amazing.

Fievel:

You're so lucky to have been able to see the Grateful Dead, have you seen the Dead at all? It's depressing.
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby The Ginger Man on Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:55 pm

I hit up Bonnaroo in 2004 and saw The Dead, RR and Family Band, Trey (whose set kinda dissapointed me), and others who I saw but can't remember due to intoxication.

For jam fans in Austin, I highly recommend the Jerry Garcia Birthday Fest held every year. That was always fun when I still lived in the south.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby jgraphix on Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:55 pm

But they can really jam!
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby Bean on Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:59 pm

Hey G Man, my cousin goes to Bonnaroo every year it's held, she says if you can get used to the mud you'll love it.
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby The Ginger Man on Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:08 pm

That's exactly true, Bean. Unfortunately, whether or not you can get use to the mud is entirely dependant upon what drug you're taking and whether or not the mud is trying to eat you (also dependant upon what drug you're taking).
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby Fievel on Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:47 pm

I've never seen The Dead, but I did see a Phil & Friends show a bunch of years ago. My Grateful Dead shows were between '93 and '95 so they weren't classic shows by any means, although I did manage to see them perform at Madison Square Garden with Bob Dylan out for the encore (10-17-94). My favorite GD shows to listen to lie in the 71-74 era.
As far as The Dead though, as much as it isn't The Real Thing, it's as close as you can get.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Bean on Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:54 pm

Dark Star Orchestra is more Grateful than the Dead are unfortunately.

The early 70s are my favorite too, I think the 80s and 90s were marked by Jerry's drug use which began to interfere with his playing.
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:59 pm

Before I go, I...

...just....

....have....

....to....

HIPPIES!!!!

That is all.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Fievel on Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:53 pm

Bean wrote:Dark Star Orchestra is more Grateful than the Dead are unfortunately.

The early 70s are my favorite too, I think the 80s and 90s were marked by Jerry's drug use which began to interfere with his playing.

Brent Mydland's (sp?) style/voice didn't help in that period either. Keith was a great piano player, especially in the jams, but after him the keyboardists were just pure crappy cheese. Bruce Hornsby, although credited as an official member, doesn't count. He was a spark of life that they should have held on to any way possible.
I've heard a lot of good things about the DSO, but have never made it to a show.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Shane on Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:57 pm

Hippies are evil
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby buster00 on Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:16 am

Long have I worshipped at the alter of Zappa & the Mothers...much of their stuff can definitely fall in the "jammy" category. I also recommend Galactic out of New Orleans if you like it nice n' funky...also unwinding with Karl Denson's Tiny Universe. Do with these whatcha will. I think you dudes'll dig 'em. Look 'em up.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Shane on Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:26 am

Zappa is cool, he's not a hippie, just a weird mother fucker
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby buster00 on Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:35 am

True, Shane, and he HATED the hippie scene (check out the album "We're Only In It For The Money" for a scathing hippie critique). The jams are a trip, though...

For the record, I'm not a hippie, but I don't hate hippies either.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:56 am

Zappa was scathingly hilarious in his mockery of hippies. he was also one of the most brilliant musicians/composers to ever walk the face of the earth. plus, he was a straight up maniac. (thank you Frank, for bringing us Beefhearts "Trout Mask Replica" in all its glories!)

for the most part, i can't stand Jam Bands (just a little too noodly and hippie), but i appreciate their musicianly skills.

although the Greatful Dead are deeply irritating, their "Drums and Space" segments are AWESOME. i used to go to their shows JUST for that... and, you know, heh... other stuff...

but in terms of recent bands, there is this one called Galactic that i like. they bringeth forth the funk and ironic Black Sabbath covers with equal measure in a jam band and very hippie friendly context... i think you will like...

other than that i'm much more into underground musiques / lo-fi / no wave / arte-punke / noise...
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Bean on Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:25 pm

Galatic is awesome, I saw them over here a few weeks ago.

I love Zappa, I have Muffin Man playing right now. He's incredible live.
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby Fievel on Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:09 pm

Galactic is FREAKING AWESOME! Their drummer, Stanton Moore just oozes funk.

RE: Hippies....
The "hippies" are in their 60's now. Those are the real hippies. Those are the people that were truly part of an original movement. Anyone now that considers themselves a hippie, especially those ages 15-30 are nothing more than misguided kids in costumes.

"Oh Fievel, they're "neo-hippies" then!"

Bullshit.
Take off the costume.
Get in the shower.
Go back to school.
Contribute to society.

[/rant]
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby buster00 on Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:23 pm

To Whom It May Concern: I'm so glad that you opened up a Music Section when you decided to do this Zone thingy. Music is a big part of our shared language, besides our love for movies, comics, pop culture shit, etc. How would I have known so many of my snarky fellows on the TalkBacks are hip to Galactic?
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MelaWolf on Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:40 pm

In general jam bands get on my nerves but I really dig the North Mississippi All Stars.
You think you really know what's happening here, don't you? Well, I'll tell you something, you don't know shit, buddy.
MelaWolf
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby smatterkitty on Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:24 pm

When I used to live in the ATL I worked at a bar that the North Mississippi All-Stars played at occasionally, if you like them a couple other bands to check out are:

The Meters

TISHAMINGO
I'm hungry, let's get some of that F-ing Freeench Toast!
smatterkitty
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby MelaWolf on Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:14 pm

Ha ha... I actually really dig Tishamingo. Saw them at Smith's Old Bar in ATL no too long ago, as a matter of fact. :D
You think you really know what's happening here, don't you? Well, I'll tell you something, you don't know shit, buddy.
MelaWolf
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby DrillerKiller on Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:03 am

Ahhh, noice. I've only heard Galactic lately (all through their cover of the Tap's Big Bottom with Claypool) and they're absolutely class. I'm huge into Frank Zappa (more the Mothers stuff than the 80's stuff, can't handle the over emphasis on cheesy keyboards, and the xylophone is lacking), Phish and some Grateful Dead (don't own that much of their stuff but we play Truckin' anytime we jam), and I suppose they'd be the more popular jam bands.

Another I reckon could fall into the category are Colonal Claypool's Flying Frog Brigade - if you listen to Live Frogs Set 1 you'll know why. They're unreal....on Set 2 they cover all of Pink Floyd's Animals better than Floyd ever would have done live.

Oysterhead are a bit of a jam band too (thanks in no small part to Trey Anastasio and Stuart Copeland's presence), and a great one at that.
Wellycome....in jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam
DrillerKiller
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby buster00 on Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:07 am

Oysterhead got a really bad headknockin' from the critics, but I liked the album.

Not as much as the Claypool Frog Brigade material, though...DrillerKiller, by any chance are you a bass player?
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DrillerKiller on Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:38 am

Haha - how oh how did you guess!? Yeah I kinda worship at the altars of Wooten, Dunn and Claypool.

I'm a singer too though (mostly covers - STP, AIC, FNM - throaty type singing). Where I'm from if you're in any way musical you end up in about 5 bands eventually.

I went mad for Oysterhead myself, we're covering Owner of the World in the band now. What do you make of the CCFFB studio album? Not up to scratch with the live stuff if you ask me, even if the live stuff is mostly Sausage, King Crimson and Floyd.
DrillerKiller
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby buster00 on Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:59 am

Driller, I've never even heard the studio album. If by that, you mean Purple Onion...I only have ever heard Live Frogs 1 and 2.

I presume you're talking about Victor Wooten when you say Wooten...how do you like Bela Fleck?
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DrillerKiller on Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:27 am

AMAZING!!!! Ever since I saw Bela Fleck and the Flecktones Live at the Quick (the DVD, not in person or anything) I've been completely hooked. That song 'a moment so close' has got to be the catchiest, most technically impressive song I've seen/heard in years, and that guy conga roll that they have accompanying them with the throat singing....wow. Can't believe he can create 3 pitches at once.

The only other Flecktones stuff I have is Left of Cool (if you don't have it, download 'Be the one'), and it's great. Not as great as the privilege of seeing them do their thing on stage though.

If you don't want your opinion of CCFFB slightly tarnished then leave Purple Onion well alone, it's good but it's not a patch on the other Claypool releases, the craziest (and most technical) of which is probably Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains (Les, Brain, Buckethead and Bernie Worrell from Parliament). Excellent stuff that.

I love this music section all of a sudden.
DrillerKiller
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby minstrel on Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:03 pm

I don't get out to concerts any more, but I enjoy jam band music - at least what I've heard. I have some live DVDs of Grateful Dead, Allman Brothers Band, Phish, Widespread Panic. Actually, Grateful Dead doesn't do much for me, though I recognize them as the grandfathers of this sort of music.

I LOVE Allman Brothers, and Widespread Panic is good, too.

I've never heard String Cheese Incident. I understand they're more acoustic-oriented, which I like. Are they good?
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Return to Music