Page 3 of 6

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:15 am
by Peven
cap wrote:I went with other for the fact I'm going back a few years.

AC/DC.

A band at one point that I really liked......when I was 12.

They have consistently made the same song for damn near 30 years now. And the original was ok, about the firtst trillion times I heard it, now it is just tired and bad, like the band.


one of the best hard rock bands ever dude. sorry if people always request "you shook me all night long", its not AC/DC's fault. and yeah, they were pretty much finished by the mid 80's as far as new stuff is concerned, and hung around longer than they should have, BUT, back in the 70's, pre-Back in Black(yeah, Back in Black is only my 3rd favorite AC/DC album), they were hard core rock/blues and could have kicked the shit out of any of the "we're so deep and edgy" punk/emo/alternative/etc bands going today. try listening to 74' Jailbreak, or Dirty Deeds. great rock albums. and Bon Scott had one of the best sleazy-cool voices ever to belt out a rock song song too, not to mention the masterful guitar shredding of Angus Young.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:19 am
by Shane
Peven wrote:
cap wrote:I went with other for the fact I'm going back a few years.

AC/DC.

A band at one point that I really liked......when I was 12.

They have consistently made the same song for damn near 30 years now. And the original was ok, about the firtst trillion times I heard it, now it is just tired and bad, like the band.


one of the best hard rock bands ever dude. sorry if people always request "you shook me all night long", its not AC/DC's fault. and yeah, they were pretty much finished by the mid 80's as far as new stuff is concerned, and hung around longer than they should have, BUT, back in the 70's, pre-Back in Black(yeah, Back in Black is only my 3rd favorite AC/DC album), they were hard core rock/blues and could have kicked the shit out of any of the "we're so deep and edgy" punk/emo/alternative/etc bands going today. try listening to 74' Jailbreak, or Dirty Deeds. great rock albums. and Bon Scott had one of the best sleazy-cool voices ever to belt out a rock song song too, not to mention the masterful guitar shredding of Angus Young.


They had a cool start, but after a while they should have just stepped down. |I was never a big fan, but I can't say they had the right idea to start with, and they pretty much stuck with that, but damn it got old. |If you like them you only need to buy one album, and any one thiey are all the same

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:27 am
by Pudie
Shane wrote:Music today is a horrible re-hash of what was once good. They borrow elements and and borrow from good and bad. Mostly bad elements which corrupts what could be used to make descent music. Then there is the cry and wine element. It is a bunch of boy bands with makeup and tattoos. The things they try to embrace like Punk or Whatever form of rock has been absorbed so much into pop culture it makes them no different than Donnie Osmond. There are phenominal bands out there doing phenominal things, but nobody is looking there. MTV and all the huge record companies are trying to replace yesterdays music with new trends creating horrid shit. They made an even more kid friendly Gother for us calling it Emo and surgically removed any testosterone or rebellion once found in Music. These bands stand for nothing But highschool, and what it is like to be a 12 year old high school girl. I don't feel any sort of connection with the whiny shit.

Fuck the radio, NPR is the best station around here unfortionately. And fuck Music Television. Jello had it right when the Kennedys said it years ago:

This is the future of rock and roll

How far will you go
How low will you stoop
To tranquilize our minds with your sugar-coated swill

You’ve turned rock and roll rebellion
Into pat boone sedation

MTV get off the air


Oh get off it. Music has always borrowed from something. Zepplin put a twist on the blues. The Beeatles borrowe Rockabilly. Etc.

Anyone who says all of todays music sucks obviously only listens to music on the radio or no new music at all and doesn't actually take the time to search out music they would like.

And they had shitty music back in the day as well. The reason no one gives a shit about them is because no one gave a shit then ethier.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:30 am
by Peven
what bugs me is the idea that bands that the mainstream hasn't heard of MUST be good, and the more obscure or difficult to listen to, the better they must be. "gee, they're so great because you can't pick out the melody, none of their lyrics rhyme and even though they sound like random ramblings that only means they are sooo deep and insightful". bullshit, i say.

even a band like Pink Floyd wrote stuff that rhymed and could be deciphered in a logical representational sense, and the music was well composed and played, much like a classical piece of music many times. they were actually trying to please the ear, not test the limits of how disharmonic music can be without giving someone a headache. there, my old fart rant is done, for now. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:30 am
by Shane
Pudie wrote:
Shane wrote:Music today is a horrible re-hash of what was once good. They borrow elements and and borrow from good and bad. Mostly bad elements which corrupts what could be used to make descent music. Then there is the cry and wine element. It is a bunch of boy bands with makeup and tattoos. The things they try to embrace like Punk or Whatever form of rock has been absorbed so much into pop culture it makes them no different than Donnie Osmond. There are phenominal bands out there doing phenominal things, but nobody is looking there. MTV and all the huge record companies are trying to replace yesterdays music with new trends creating horrid shit. They made an even more kid friendly Gother for us calling it Emo and surgically removed any testosterone or rebellion once found in Music. These bands stand for nothing But highschool, and what it is like to be a 12 year old high school girl. I don't feel any sort of connection with the whiny shit.

Fuck the radio, NPR is the best station around here unfortionately. And fuck Music Television. Jello had it right when the Kennedys said it years ago:

This is the future of rock and roll

How far will you go
How low will you stoop
To tranquilize our minds with your sugar-coated swill

You’ve turned rock and roll rebellion
Into pat boone sedation

MTV get off the air


Oh get off it. Music has always borrowed from something. Zepplin put a twist on the blues. The Beeatles borrowe Rockabilly. Etc.

Anyone who says all of todays music sucks obviously only listens to music on the radio or no new music at all and doesn't actually take the time to search out music they would like.

And they had shitty music back in the day as well. The reason no one gives a shit about them is because no one gave a shit then ethier.


Music always has borrowed and evolved from what has come before, but todays music takes the worst of what was, ruining anything that would have been good. Like I said above.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:33 am
by Shane
Peven wrote:what bugs me is the idea that bands that the mainstream hasn't heard of MUST be good, and the more obscure or difficult to listen to, the better they must be. "gee, they're so great because you can't pick out the melody, none of their lyrics rhyme and even though they sound like random ramblings that only means they are sooo deep and insightful". bullshit, i say.

even a band like Pink Floyd wrote stuff that rhymed and could be deciphered in a logical representational sense, and the music was well composed and played, much like a classical piece of music many times. they were actually trying to please the ear, not test the limits of how disharmonic music can be without giving someone a headache. there, my old fart rant is done, for now. :wink:


yeah but I'd rather not have my music put me to sleep.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:35 am
by Pudie
Music always has borrowed and evolved from what has come before, but todays music takes the worst of what was, ruining anything that would have been good. Like I said above.


Maybe if you only listend to the radio. Radio plays the most basic, easy to please the masses crap. Theres only a few good bands that get radio play.

But anyone who is willing to take the time and effort can find some GREAT music that is still being made today.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:41 am
by Shane
Pudie wrote:
Music always has borrowed and evolved from what has come before, but todays music takes the worst of what was, ruining anything that would have been good. Like I said above.


Maybe if you only listend to the radio. Radio plays the most basic, easy to please the masses crap. Theres only a few good bands that get radio play.

But anyone who is willing to take the time and effort can find some GREAT music that is still being made today.


The radio just like most television is aimed at the women from ages 18 to 40 because they are the primary consumers in the household. I learned that like my first week in school. It's one of the basic facts of marketing.

And yes some music is more obscure because nobody has picked up on it yet, but not all music is that way. If it is good It should get picked up on eventually and others will see what they were doing. Unfortionatly there is too many radio unfriendly bands that are phenominal, and when you go to their show next time they come to town you will discover they have a great fan base buying their albums and going to their shows, it's just not being promoted and released in the same market or the same way as Celine Dion.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:46 am
by so sorry
Pudie wrote:But anyone who is willing to take the time and effort can find some GREAT music that is still being made today.


excellent point Pudie.
and i, for one, am NOT willing to go and search out the new/good music.
i'm just too lazy.
i like to listen to what i already know and love.
Do i hate MTV? yeah, sure i do, because THEY don't try and find the new great music. Did they go find new great music in the 80s/90s? Probably not, but it certainly felt like they were more cutting edge 'back in the day'. at least they had programs for specific fans (Headbangers ball/yo MTV raps etc) that allowed them to explore what wasn't necessarily mainstream.
were the fuck was i going with this????
oh yeah, i hate Green Day.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:50 am
by vicious_bastard
I hate The Rasmus with a burning passion. I would dearly love to beat the singer to death with his own bulbous forehead.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:51 am
by Pudie
Headbangers Ball is back. MTV has plenty of rap shows.

I find that MTV2 can be a pretty good way of finding new music. That have shows for pretty much every style of music.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:57 am
by Shane
wow I'm in an argumentative mood today.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:12 am
by DrillerKiller
I think I hate Good Charlotte more than anyone in the history of music, but there are many vying for my hate lately, mostly Coldplay and Nickelback and that tired shite.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:15 am
by MadCapsule
Staind needs to be on this list!!!

"Boo hoo! Life is so terrible, so I'm gonna sit here and whine and moan with the mic halfway down my throat in the hopes that people don't recognize that I can't write lyrics worth monkey poo."

[edited for grammar]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:18 am
by DrillerKiller
Staind are a worthy addition to any bonfire alrighty.

"I'm on the outside, I'm looking in"...

Good. I hope you get hypothermia you miserable fuck!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:20 am
by Peven
the hair bands of the 80's, ala Motley Crue, Cinderella, Poison, etc, sucked ass, and any of you too young to remember living through that time should consider yourself fortunate. Jay Ferguson was a musical genius compared to those bands.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:21 am
by Pudie
Its easy to bash shit that knows its shit like Nickleback, GC, etc. So here's some more respectable bands I cant stand

Rolling Stones
The Sex Pistols
The Ramones
AC/DC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:23 am
by MadCapsule
Firehouse and Extreme too.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:47 am
by burlivesleftnut
Pudie wrote:Its easy to bash shit that knows its shit like Nickleback, GC, etc. So here's some more respectable bands I cant stand

Rolling Stones...


O NOEEEES!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:48 am
by burlivesleftnut
Oh I just remember the worst band ever: Huey Lewis and the News.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:57 am
by Shane
Pudie wrote:Its easy to bash shit that knows its shit like Nickleback, GC, etc. So here's some more respectable bands I cant stand


The Ramones


You must be a Commie!

no seriously

on this line bands that seem to get too much respect that I think are horrid.

Led Zepplin
Metallica
Descendants
Beastie Boys
Phish
And the Later Beatles stuff when they are all drugged out gets fucking lame.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:08 pm
by Peven
Led Zeppelin? damn, to each his own and all, but , just, damn. you must just hate rock music and great guitar playing, period. easily one of the best rock/modern-blues bands ever.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:11 pm
by Shane
Peven wrote:Led Zeppelin? damn, to each his own and all, but , just, damn. you must just hate rock music and great guitar playing, period. easily one of the best rock/modern-blues bands ever.


If you want to fall asleep.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:19 pm
by burlivesleftnut
I am not a big Zepellin fan either. But it has nothing to do with falling asleep.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:22 pm
by MiltonWaddams
Shane wrote:wow I'm in an argumentative mood today.


It's probably because you're wrong all the time.

And... go.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:23 pm
by so sorry
Shane wrote:[on this line bands that seem to get too much respect that I think are horrid.

Led Zepplin

Beastie Boys


B#NN$D!!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:29 pm
by barriwhite
Guns 'n Roses (or what's left of it). I really hope Axl won't dare release a new album under that name.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:30 pm
by barriwhite
WOW I think I'll stop posting now so that I remain a Tomboy Beanpole forever.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:36 pm
by Vegeta
Tubbs Tattsyrup wrote:Green Day suck ass. The thing is, they're just - not offensively bad (well, not all the time anyway), but offensively unoriginal, egotistical and overrated. worst thing about them is their fans...I heard one person say "the best thing about Green Day is that they're so original" - fuck her. Any band that tries to sell the same stuff for 15 years (which also sounds exactly like every other pop-punk band out there) and pass it off as original music can go fuck themselves. What's more, their recent attempt at being "political" was one of the most cynical attempts at boosting sales I've ever seen. Oh, did anyone hear the mashup of Blvd of Broken Dreams and Oasis' Wonderwall? They're practically exactly the same fucking song.

Creed should be on that list, though.
And Linkin Park too.

But Smashing Pumpkins? How are they even close to being one of the worst bands ever? Jesus.


I agree, FUCK GREENDAY! I find it laughable that Billy Joe sings with a faux british accent. Real original buddy, apparently he believes it is the only way to be punk.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:38 pm
by Vegeta
Pudie wrote:Its easy to bash shit that knows its shit like Nickleback, GC, etc. So here's some more respectable bands I cant stand

Rolling Stones
The Sex Pistols
The Ramones
AC/DC


Ha, The Ramones do blow. Every song is identical.... 1, 2, 3, 4...
And every AC/DC song is identical (sans you shook me all night long), literally you can swap the chorus from one song to another and it fits perfectly.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:42 pm
by barriwhite
Vegeta wrote:Ha, The Ramones do blow. Every song is identical.... 1, 2, 3, 4...


They pioneered punk-rock, remember? I agree they aren't musical geniusses, but hey there were sooo many bands out there that followed in that direction. Take it for what it is: great arena music, great songs to hear once in a while, while hitting the road..

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:49 pm
by Pudie
You say they pionerd punk rock like that's a good thing.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:51 pm
by barriwhite
Pudie wrote:You say they pionerd punk rock like that's a good thing.


Yeah, that's what I mostly listened to during my early teenage years, had a blast going to all those shows, and I thank them for it somehow.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:52 pm
by so sorry
IMAPIMPILASH!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:53 pm
by Pudie
I cant stand 99% of punk rock music. That shit annoys the hell out of me.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:54 pm
by Peven
Vegeta wrote:
Pudie wrote:Its easy to bash shit that knows its shit like Nickleback, GC, etc. So here's some more respectable bands I cant stand

Rolling Stones
The Sex Pistols
The Ramones
AC/DC


Ha, The Ramones do blow. Every song is identical.... 1, 2, 3, 4...
And every AC/DC song is identical (sans you shook me all night long), literally you can swap the chorus from one song to another and it fits perfectly.


if you think that about AC/DC you haven't listened to any Bon Scott era stuff. news flash folks, there was an AC/DC prior to Brian Johnson being lead vocalist. try listening to some of their pre-1980 stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:26 pm
by burlivesleftnut
Hey I thought of another stupid band I hate: ZZTop.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:27 pm
by Ribbons
But they sing "La Grange" and.... other stuff....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:31 pm
by Shane
burlivesleftnut wrote:Hey I thought of another stupid band I hate: ZZTop.


yeah I want to add them too

Along with Kid Rock!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:32 pm
by Peven
Ribbons wrote:But they sing "La Grange" and.... other stuff....


and they ripped off "La Grange" from John Lee Hooker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:35 pm
by Shane
Peven wrote:
Ribbons wrote:But they sing "La Grange" and.... other stuff....


and they ripped off "La Grange" from John Lee Hooker


and John Lee Hooker Kicks ass!!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:38 pm
by so sorry
Ribbons wrote:
so sorry wrote:Do i hate MTV? yeah, sure i do, because THEY don't try and find the new great music.


I disagree. I think they find great new music and sit on it. It's sort of like how MTV and VH1 are owned by the same company but VH1 "discovers" that Kanye West exists like 2 years after everyone else does. They're all just pandering to a certain audience. Even MTV2 probably has access to a lot more (good) stuff than they end up playing.

why would they 'sit on'new music? what's the benifit of doing that?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:38 pm
by Peven
Ribbons wrote:
Peven wrote:
Ribbons wrote:But they sing "La Grange" and.... other stuff....


and they ripped off "La Grange" from John Lee Hooker


Nah-uh! Who's John Lee Hooker?


you ARE kidding right? :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:40 pm
by Shane
so sorry wrote:
Ribbons wrote:
so sorry wrote:Do i hate MTV? yeah, sure i do, because THEY don't try and find the new great music.


I disagree. I think they find great new music and sit on it. It's sort of like how MTV and VH1 are owned by the same company but VH1 "discovers" that Kanye West exists like 2 years after everyone else does. They're all just pandering to a certain audience. Even MTV2 probably has access to a lot more (good) stuff than they end up playing.

why would they 'sit on'new music? what's the benifit of doing that?


yeah everyone has asked that for years.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:40 pm
by Shane
Who sings the nuts on a bedpost song?

those guys suck

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:41 pm
by Ribbons
Peven wrote:
Ribbons wrote:Who's John Lee Hooker?



you ARE kidding, right? :roll:


Nope. :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:41 pm
by Shane
Ribbons wrote:
Peven wrote:
Ribbons wrote:Who's John Lee Hooker?



you ARE kidding, right? :roll:


Nope. :oops:


start downloading

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:46 pm
by Ribbons
so sorry wrote:
Ribbons wrote:
so sorry wrote:Do i hate MTV? yeah, sure i do, because THEY don't try and find the new great music.


I disagree. I think they find great new music and sit on it. It's sort of like how MTV and VH1 are owned by the same company but VH1 "discovers" that Kanye West exists like 2 years after everyone else does. They're all just pandering to a certain audience. Even MTV2 probably has access to a lot more (good) stuff than they end up playing.

why would they 'sit on'new music? what's the benifit of doing that?


Well what do you mean? It's obvious that they have access to music that they don't play. Think about MTV2, MTVU, the pretty staggering library of videos they have online. They don't play them. Because they think the people who watch will stop watching if they play Chris Brown 8 times a day and... I don't know, the Arcade Fire once instead of playing Chris Brown 9 times a day. They don't play good music until they're convinced there's a reasonable market out there for them, and even then, they play them very, very little in comparison to everything else unless they're massively popular. They're just like a Top 40 radio station, except more smug.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:50 pm
by HollywoodBabylon
Karen Carpenter was a better drummer than Meg White.
She also had the best six-pack in rock music. :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:51 pm
by Peven
Ribbons wrote:
Peven wrote:
Ribbons wrote:Who's John Lee Hooker?



you ARE kidding, right? :roll:


Nope. :oops:


ok, John Lee Hooker is an all time great blues musician, and ZZ Top ripped off a song of his for La Grange. as i remember, he sued them and won.