Coheed and Cambria

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Postby MiltonWaddams on Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:04 am

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:Melt Banana and Boredoms are both literally awe-inspiring. See them if you get the chance. Its essential.

MY ROOMATE'S BAND OPENED FOR MELT BANANA LAST SUMMER.

that is all.
Urer yvrf Z.J.
Xvyyrq ol ungr naq vafvqr wbxrf.
MiltonWaddams
REAL DRAGON

Postby Coheed_and_Cambria on Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:16 am

I understand where most of you are coming from...

The thing i enjoy about his band the most, is that it isn't every other band..

Everythime i see them live, its a great experience...i meet new friends, i've met the band, and the band plays with such passion every time...

They barely ever take time for themselves, playing special shows for fans everywhere they can, writing pieces of the new albums on the road...

His voice is unique, thats what makes Claudio, who he is...it's not the voice that should make the music, it's the feeling behind it...

This man is doing what he loves, he has managed to do what every fanboy dreams, he is writing a comic book epic...and i love that aspect of the music...as confusing as this story can get, it has so much to offer..

I don't know...maybe i'm some stupid kid, it really doesn't matter.
Coheed_and_Cambria
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby King Psyz on Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:20 am

You know, you earned a lot of respect from myself and you also made me respect the band that much more that they had such a positive effect on you.

I don't know about the whole the voice shouldn't matter all that much bit, but the rest of your post makes up for it a bit.

You have a pasion for what they give to you, you'll probablly be a musician too or at least involved with music somehow down the road. I still would recomend listening to the music that inspired the band you like, as you may find more kinds of music you can make your own.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby DrillerKiller on Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:35 am

Shit man, no matter what people say don't ever apologise or make excuses for the music you listen to. Doesn't matter what other people think - if it did I wouldn't listen to Rick James every time my mood drops.

D'ya think ya lurve me Mary Jaaaane!!! That's some therapeutic shit right there!
Wellycome....in jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam
DrillerKiller
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:13 pm

Coheed_and_Cambria wrote:I don't know...maybe i'm some stupid kid, it really doesn't matter.

don't take any gruff from those swine!
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Coheed_and_Cambria on Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:25 pm

My music experiences go way back to when i was little....
Pink Floyd is, and always will be my top 1 band....Coheed in a close second...

I also have a passion for singing....it's something i have wanted to do for years, and still hope to acheive...

My music tastes are not just one sided either....i can go from listening to Floyd, to a taste of the Beatles, from the Beatles, to the Secret Machines, to Hawthorne Heights...

It's just Coheed makes me want to do what they do, Claudio smiles like there is no tomorrow when the crowd sings-a-long...Listen to "Live at the Starlabd Ballroom" you can hear him just enjoying playing for a larger amazing crowd that loves em..

Im not saying Coheed is end all be all of music, but i'm sure that they have helped me get closer to my dreams of eventually being a musician!
Coheed_and_Cambria
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby King Psyz on Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:28 pm

HA!

I knew it. If you like music that tells a story I highly recomend Parliment/Funkadelic, Frank Zappa, and Sun Ra to start with.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Coheed_and_Cambria on Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:31 pm

If i have a passion for anything...it's Music, comics, and movies...

don't eat that yellow snow....

and more honestly, im surprised my thread blew up like this...i left it at 20 posts, and nows theres close to 60
Coheed_and_Cambria
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Pudie on Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:35 pm

C&C is awesome. That is all.
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby Coheed_and_Cambria on Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:37 pm

Pudie wrote:C&C is awesome. That is all.

:D
Coheed_and_Cambria
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:35 pm

MiltonWaddams wrote:
ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:Melt Banana and Boredoms are both literally awe-inspiring. See them if you get the chance. Its essential.

that is all.

Would that be An Albatross or End?
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby DrillerKiller on Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:52 am

King Psyz wrote:HA!

I knew it. If you like music that tells a story I highly recomend Parliment/Funkadelic, Frank Zappa, and Sun Ra to start with.

I wholeheartedly second this post! Jeeeah!
DrillerKiller
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby MiltonWaddams on Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:19 pm

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:
MiltonWaddams wrote:

that is all.

Would that be An Albatross or End?

Cagematch to the Death, an average to above average hardcore band that probably won't ever leave Montana.
Urer yvrf Z.J.
MiltonWaddams
REAL DRAGON

Postby King Psyz on Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:22 pm

where in montana?
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby MiltonWaddams on Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:57 am

King Psyz wrote:where in montana?

Helena, the Capital. They have some myspace website, and I believe http://www.cagematchtothedeath.com/ works.

Spoke too soon, tour this summer.

June 30th 2006: Spokane, WA
July 1st 2006: Seattle, WA
July 2nd 2006: Vancouver, BC
July 3rd 2006: Portland, OR
July 6th 2006: Boise, ID
July 7th 2006: Salt Lake City, UT
July 8th 2006: Reno, NV
July 9th 2006: Chino, CA
July 10th 2006: Bakersfield, CA
July 13th 2006: Las Vegas, NV
July 14th 2006: San Diego, CA
July 15th 2006: Phoenix, AZ
July 16th 2006: Sante Fe, NM
Urer yvrf Z.J.
MiltonWaddams
REAL DRAGON

Postby Ribbons on Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:09 am

Wow, they're actually doing the rounds there, aren't they? Good for them, I guess.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fievel on Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:42 am

Pudie wrote:C&C is awesome. That is all.

EVERYBODY DANCE NOW!!!
:oops: Oh, wrong C&C.

I've listened to a good chunk of Coheed and Cambria's music, and bought the UMD of their Starland Ballroom concert ($4 at Media Play as they went out of business). I can't name one single song by the band, but I think they're decent. As far as them being more advanced than anything out there, well I'll agree with that to an extent from a compositional viewpoint, especially compared to anything that's being played on the radio today.
I'm sure that there is some unsigned or Indy-label band that would make Yes look like the Crash Test Dummies, but I haven't heard them.

As far as Coheed & Cambria's sound, I'd say that they sound like a combination of Yes, Rush, and Iron Maiden.
Oh, and I've read the interviews but I absolutely REFUSE to believe that anyone that grew up at any point in the 1980's has never even HEARD of the band Rush.

And to the poster Coheed_and_Cambria - rock on with your love of the band and may it take you to places musically that you never knew existed. In the 1990's I fell in deep with the band Phish and heard PLENTY of shit every time another friend or new person would ask what kind of music I listened to. But if it wasn't for Phish, I'd still be living in a musical box that has "This Was Cool In 1993" on it (and I was never a Gin Blossoms fan so I would have been doomed). Thanks to my love for that one stupid band that most people hated, I got into jazz, fusion, bluegrass (That's BLUEGRASS, not country! Don't you judge me!!), old prog. rock, and my true love - funk. I still dig Phish, but after 50 concerts and 13 years, I know there's always more music waiting to be heard - but I'm thankful for the musical education they gave me. Enjoy.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fievel on Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:44 am

The term "emo" is the biggest pile of horsecrap to come around the music scene.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Nachokoolaid on Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:53 am

I really like their sound. It's cool... until he guy opens his mouth!!!

The lead vocalist sucks ass. And yes, this is just my opinion, but without him, and someone else, I could see this being one of my favorite bands. But now, I can't even listen to them. Who knows, maybe he'll grow on me one day. Doubtful, though.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby minstrel on Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:19 am

Fievel wrote:The term "emo" is the biggest pile of horsecrap to come around the music scene.

What the heck does "emo" even mean, anyway? All of a sudden everyone is using the term and I haven't heard any of the bands that they're talking about. I hear people say "Band X? They're pretenders! They're no the real emo! To hear real emo, listen to band Y!" They even say things like "Band X is CRAP because they're not emo!"

I guess all the music I've been listening to all my life is crap, because it isn't emo.

Well, what in the name of Barney and all that's purple is emo, anyway?
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby MiltonWaddams on Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:30 am

Emo and goth are pretty equal terms, not in describing the same thing, but you'll never get someone to admit that their band is "goth" or "emo" because it's almost become an insult.

Emo is short for emotional. It's usually characterized by the kids on myspace who write bad poetry and songs like "rip the wings off a butterfly" or "if you ripped out my heart, i'd apologize for bleeding on your shirt".

It's boys whining about not getting girls in the most desperate, feminine way possible. It's more of a social group than a musical style.
Urer yvrf Z.J.
MiltonWaddams
REAL DRAGON

Postby Ribbons on Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:34 am

I'm pretty sure there's actually a technical definition for emo too, like they play in a certain key or something. Of course that was before this "emo explosion," so who knows if that definition even applies anymore?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Coheed_and_Cambria on Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:24 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emo_%28music%29

i found this be enlightning...a little....

See, i don't listen to a one genre of music, so it's hard to listen to labels...

Labels are for the people who just need a reason to pick at shit..

Im a rocker, to my core, but that doesnt make me emo, screamo, punk, or anything....i just know what i like...

I can listen to these different labels of music, and enjoy them all the same...
Coheed_and_Cambria
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby CthulhuKid on Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:08 pm

Well, thanks to this thread I went out and grabbed a copy of their most recent album (I am NOT writing out that title). It's not bad. At times it reminds me of Queensryche's Operation Mindcrime, and I would put that album in my top 10 of all time, so that's saying something (for me, at least).

I can appreciate, to some extent, the comparisons to Yes, Rush and Iron Maiden. After all, Queensryche was often put in through those comparisons too.

I also agree that is beyond comprehension for any musician who grew up in the '80s to have "never" heard Rush. From the first time I picked up a Bass Guitar, everyone I knew was handing me copies of either Chronicels, Moving Pictures or Presto.
CthulhuKid
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby DrillerKiller on Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:11 pm

Even here in Ireland 'Spirit of the Radio' was HUGE back in the day; and we were really backwards then. Really REALLY backwards! Somewhat more now, seeing as bands like Westlife are still topping charts. Those gickers.

Anyway, everyone needs a little Rush once in a while. They are to music what Star Wars is to film - pure geek buttery goodness.
DrillerKiller
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Coheed_and_Cambria on Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:03 am

Awesome news..

I get to see Coheed and Cambria, Avenged Sevenfold(eh), and Head Automatica on April 15th, in Orlando..

4th time seeing Coheed, and I am a very big Fan Of Head Automatica...so I'm expecting an awesome show!
Coheed_and_Cambria
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby MiltonWaddams on Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:50 am

Coheed_and_Cambria wrote:Im a rocker, to my core

Isn't that a line from Joe Dirt?

Anyway, have fun at the concert.
Urer yvrf Z.J.
MiltonWaddams
REAL DRAGON

Postby Coheed_and_Cambria on Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:03 am

No, but come to think of it, he says something very similar....

lol, not what i was goin for....
Coheed_and_Cambria
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby DrillerKiller on Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:29 pm

No sane person would ever wish to sound like David Spade.
DrillerKiller
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Coheed_and_Cambria on Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:50 pm

well....except for david spade, and im sure he would rather not sound like himself...

Less than a month away til my concert....and i can't wait...The best expierence is meeting new fans, and older fans, and just making friends!

I WILL be first in line for this show....thats just what i do!
Coheed_and_Cambria
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:25 am

New single is up on their myspace!!!!!!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby digideus on Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:53 pm

Coheed & Cambria arent going to appeal to everyone, but that's probably a good thing considering their fingers are in lots of pies creatively, and unless you share some interest with their creative efforts (Post Punk/Hardcore rock & Comic books) then no amount of plugging will get anyone to listen to them.

Personally, I like them. I got into their music through the comics and the story "Behind" the songs, which is your usual Sci-fi related coming of age story which also parallels a lot of the personal events in the singers life.

Anyway, I saw them and met them back in 2005 in London and got very drunk with them all at an aftershow party, and my 8 year old daughter got a picture with Claudio Sanchez that Sony used for promotional purposes. You can check out the comics if youre that way inclined by looking for anything bearing the name The Bag Online Advantures, Second Stage Turbine Blade, Amory Wars or Good Apollo: Im Burning Star IV - Volume 1: From fear through the eyes of madness (All from Evil Ink Comics)
digideus
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Vegeta on Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:57 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:New single is up on their myspace!!!!!!

Sweet! Thanks Lecko!
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Fievel on Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:33 am

Diggin' it.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:09 am

I pre-ordered my copy last week, but the cd finally leaked so I figured I would share my thoughts.

Way more acoustic stuff and prog rock. They really shred on this album. Not nearly as many "hooks" as we are used to hearing from the band. Still, a solid release from the band. But it is definitely, for me, a step down from the superb (and underappreciated) Vol. 1: From fear through the eyes of madness.

If I were to rank the cds it would go like this:

In Keeping Secrets
Vol. 1
Second Stage Turbine
Vol. 2

I havent had much time with it though, so this might change. I still dig almost everything this band produces, but I think In Keeping Secrets was just magic. Second Stage Turbine has a nostalgia factor to it (and some great tracks). Good Apollo vol. 1 + 2 are solid efforts from the band, but they just havent recaptured the magic of In Keeping Secrets.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:34 am

Yeah, I umm obtained my leak yesterday and will check it out on a long car ride today.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:35 am

Fievel wrote:Yeah, I umm obtained my leak yesterday and will check it out on a long car ride today.

word. I cant wait to get my pre-order and check out the album art. I hope there are some more comic book drawings inside. The good news is that this disc isnt anywhere NEAR as long as Vol. 1 was. That thing was EPIC.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Vegeta on Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:50 am

Yeah, I got to get my pre order on as well. Can't wait! Been a huge fan of Coheed and Cambria since In Keeping Secrets. So far everything they've put out is solid, so I am fairly confident this will be as well.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Fievel on Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:04 am

This story needs to be an animated movie (okay, movieS).
There.
I said it.

Get the folks from the Square studios and give them a REAL story to put on the the big screen.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:10 am

I didnt realize that its Taylor Hawkins on the drums for this record. That is rad. I love Taylor Hawkins.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:28 am

Leckomaniac wrote:I didnt realize that its Taylor Hawkins on the drums for this record. That is rad. I love Taylor Hawkins.

Yeah, a pretty seamless fit from the other albums I think (coming from a drummer here). This music allows Hawkins to show a lot more of his chops than the average Foo Fighters track.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:29 am

Fievel wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:I didnt realize that its Taylor Hawkins on the drums for this record. That is rad. I love Taylor Hawkins.

Yeah, a pretty seamless fit from the other albums I think (coming from a drummer here). This music allows Hawkins to show a lot more of his chops than the average Foo Fighters track.

Yeah he really gets to flex a few muscles on a couple tracks. Some real prog rock songs on there.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Coheed_and_Cambria on Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:21 pm

Wow, my thread is moving again....

I got my leak the other day...I think It's great...very nice sound.

I'm going to see them for my birthday, which will make the 6th time seeing them, and then 2 weeks later Buzz Bake Sale in West Palm Beach...with a shit load of other bands...and that makes 7. It's good, because it's after the release of the album, which means new songs live.

And your right, Comics are a good medium for this, but animated would be prime.
Coheed_and_Cambria
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Fievel on Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:47 am

Listened to it several times yesterday.
Great album.

I'm not able to get much of the story from the music. I have a hard time concentrating on lyrics unless it's a repeated chorus or something similar (same goes for any band). SO that leaves me with just the music. Simply put, the music is fantastic.
Yes, there are a few ballads, but they're very well written. They're like the ballads that every 80's metal band wishes they could have written back in the day.
But the rest of the tunes simply rock.

I love the band's progress in their sound. But at the same time, with the evolution of sound - both performance and engineering, I wonder how bad the final album (First in series order) will make the first album (second in series order) sound. Second Stage already sounds completely different compared to their present sound. That'll make an odd transition going from Album One to Album Two.

Only one more album to go(????). Kinda sad on that aspect. Oh, but back to the story - I'm going to have to read someone's deciphered ramblings on the latest album. It's supposedly the final album in the story, but I didn't get that out of listening to it (aside from the song titles). But then again, I didn't listen a whole lot to the lyrics. Maybe I'll just have to wait for the comics. Sigh. :(
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:45 am

After spending a lot more time with this album I am so happy with it. "Feathers" and "Mother Superior" are amongst some of the catchiest songs they have written since In Keeping Secrets.

Love the last song and its 1980s action movie feel. Another excellent release by the band. I cant wait until I go back to the states and can actually hold my copy and check out the artwork and the lyrics.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Coheed_and_Cambria on Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:04 pm

Mother Superior has to be my favorite song on the album....some Floyd refrence in there also, Claudio sings a lyric that uses the term Truley gone fishing, which was a lyric used on The Wall, in The Trial.

On the Brink has some awesome guitar riffs, including a little bit of Pink Floyd's In The Flesh.

All in all, I am very pleased with this album. Can't wait to see them again...three more weeks.
Coheed_and_Cambria
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:10 am

I have been spending a crazy amount of time with Good Apollo vol. 1 + 2 and my gosh do I love these albums.

In Keeping Secrets has the nostalgia factor, but other than that I dont think it touches the latter two albums. Seriously, the care and effort put into both volumes is stunning.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Coheed_and_Cambria on Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:54 am

I myself have been listening to the new album. I think it's great, very well put together.

I only have 5 more days until I see them again, I'm getting excited. Read a review just yesterday, and the setlist looked amazing.
Coheed_and_Cambria
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:06 am

Coheed_and_Cambria wrote:I myself have been listening to the new album. I think it's great, very well put together.

I only have 5 more days until I see them again, I'm getting excited. Read a review just yesterday, and the setlist looked amazing.

I have seen Coheed 4 times now and I still count their show at The Metro as one of my all time favorite shows.

It was the first show on their "An Evening With Coheed & Cambria tour" which consisted of just them playing two sets, one acoustic and one electric. The Metro is a small venue (holding probably 1000 max I believe) so the acoustic set was so intimate.

This was right before Good Apollo Vol. 1 came out and they played Final Cut and Welcome Home and I remember just being blown away and excited for their new release.

During one of the lulls in the acoustic set it was all quite and someone just yelled "You always let the wookie win!" and Claudio thought it was the funniest thing ever. He then went into a 10 minute review of Land of the Dead. It was just awesome.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Coheed_and_Cambria on Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:55 pm

I actually got to see them on that tour..

It was at Hard Rock Live, and it aired on MTV.
I was front rail for that show, and it's funny, you can actually see me for a split second.

It was just a month before the release of GA V1...and everyone knew all the words to "Welcome Home", as it was the first single released on the website at the time. "Final Cut" is nothing short of amazing live... as far as I can tell, they are doing those two songs as encores on the current tour.

But that acoustic/electric show was short, but amazing...they did "The Light and The Glass" acoustic, and it was probably the best version I have every heard..

Monday will be the 6th time I have seen then in concert.
Coheed_and_Cambria
STEAK-A-BABY

PreviousNext

Return to Music