Coheed and Cambria

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Coheed and Cambria

Postby Coheed_and_Cambria on Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:07 pm

Has anyone on this forum heard of/listen to this band...

Personally, they are my favorite....the story that Claudio is writing is an epic space story, that has taken comic book form for 2 albums now..

discuss....


edit: speaking of which, the Demo for Junesong Provision, of the first album, The Second Stage Turbine Blade, Features audio clips from Army of Darkness....
Image
User avatar
Coheed_and_Cambria
STEAK-A-BABY
 
Posts: 183
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:42 pm
Location: Citrus Springs, FL

Re: Coheed and Cambria

Postby Vegeta on Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:17 pm

Coheed_and_Cambria wrote:Has anyone on this forum heard of/listen to this band...

Personally, they are my favorite....the story that Claudio is writing is an epic space story, that has taken comic book form for 2 albums now..

discuss....


edit: speaking of which, the Demo for Junesong Provision, of the first album, The Second Stage Turbine Blade, Features audio clips from Army of Darkness....


Alot of people dig'em here. Check out the top ten albums thread to find out who. I know that I saw a couple of posters out there singing their praises. I just picked up the second stage turbine blade, but haven't been able to gove it a good listen.
User avatar
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY
 
Posts: 6274
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:22 am
Location: U.S.S.A.

Postby Coheed_and_Cambria on Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:21 pm

Oh, you deff should, its an awesome album straight through, and the re-issue, has the Junesong demo, with Ash and his Boomstick..

New album came out in September, also a great listen!
Image
User avatar
Coheed_and_Cambria
STEAK-A-BABY
 
Posts: 183
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:42 pm
Location: Citrus Springs, FL

Postby cap on Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:22 pm

Very, very good band.
Image

Ambition - The journey of a thousand miles sometimes ends very, very badly
User avatar
cap
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 1073
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:21 pm
Location: Over here.... In the Corner.... No Really!!!!

Postby Coheed_and_Cambria on Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:25 pm

I have seen them 3 times in concert now, which makes the most for any band...

I have also met and spoken to the band...which makes any concert a great experience!
Image
User avatar
Coheed_and_Cambria
STEAK-A-BABY
 
Posts: 183
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:42 pm
Location: Citrus Springs, FL

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:32 pm

I like what I've heard, which isn't much so far, only a couple of songs, but my best friend loves them. I'm sure I'll pick up the album soon and listen to the rest. Do they just have one album out?
Image
User avatar
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked
 
Posts: 17641
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:18 pm
Location: Pasture next to the Red Barn

Postby Vegeta on Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:32 pm

Coheed_and_Cambria wrote:I have seen them 3 times in concert now, which makes the most for any band...

I have also met and spoken to the band...which makes any concert a great experience!


That's awesome. I have both Good Apollo, and Keepiing Secret. Which I totally dig. I don't think they come to my neck of the woods very often but will definetly keep an eye on them!
User avatar
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY
 
Posts: 6274
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:22 am
Location: U.S.S.A.

Postby Coheed_and_Cambria on Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:34 pm

3 albums out as of right now


The Second Stage Turbine Blade...
In Keeping Secrets of Silents Earth: 3
Good Apollo: I'm Burning Star IV-Fear Through the Eyes of Madness...

You can message me on aim, and i can always send em to ya...
Image
User avatar
Coheed_and_Cambria
STEAK-A-BABY
 
Posts: 183
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:42 pm
Location: Citrus Springs, FL

Postby Iconoclastica on Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:39 pm

Devil in Jersey City, baby! You've never moshed as hard as when you're at a Coheed concert in jersey . . . they're amazing - anyone into punk of any sorts here just accepts it as fact :-). I've seen them live at least 5 times, probably more. Each time I've either gotten my ass kicked or lost key articles of clothing crowd surfing. Good times :-) - on that note, awesome thread and great choice of handle, man :wink:
Image

I am Jack's broken heart
User avatar
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE
 
Posts: 2646
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:42 pm

Postby Coheed_and_Cambria on Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:47 pm

Thank you...

My screen name on aim is XxDevilJrsyCityX

thats my song man, the last time i saw them, was in St. Pete, and they played that with such ferocity, it actaully made me tear...

They are, by far, my favorite band!
Image
User avatar
Coheed_and_Cambria
STEAK-A-BABY
 
Posts: 183
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:42 pm
Location: Citrus Springs, FL

Postby DrillerKiller on Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:48 pm

The only song I've heard by them is The Suffering. Music is good but the singer irritates me a bit, he makes Geddy Lee seem subtle. Still, I enjoy prog, and they're playing up in Dublin next week so I might go regardless. I could be in for a surprise.
Image
Wellycome....in jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam
DrillerKiller
STEAK-A-BABY
 
Posts: 190
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:42 am
Location: The filthy boghole - Laaaaaesh!

Postby Shane on Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:53 pm

what is it?
User avatar
Shane
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2476
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:28 pm
Location: Kansas City

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:09 pm

So are these guys supposed to be the 2nd coming of Rush? I don't get it.
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2467
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:28 pm

Postby Coheed_and_Cambria on Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:28 pm

No actaully, Claudio didn't know who Rush was, until after they released Second Stage....so in retalliation to being compared to him....On In Keeping, he named a song 21:13, as a reference to Rush's 21:12...

Honestly, i spoken to the man, and he hates being compared to Geddy Lee, but i think his voice is amazing...

And when he talks, you would no idea thats how he sings!
Image
User avatar
Coheed_and_Cambria
STEAK-A-BABY
 
Posts: 183
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:42 pm
Location: Citrus Springs, FL

Postby colonel_lugz on Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:34 pm

Im assuming this is an american band that hasnt crossed the pond yet?, i feel lost here, what kind of music is it?
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
User avatar
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 4864
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:09 pm
Location: London

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:50 pm

colonel_lugz wrote:Im assuming this is an american band that hasnt crossed the pond yet?, i feel lost here, what kind of music is it?


They're inexplicably called "prog" or "space rock" but it really sounds like generic middle american rock music. Also, the lead singer sings exactly like RUSH.

CAN is prog. HAWKWIND is space rock.

Coheed and Cambria = Bryan Adams meets Rush.
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2467
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:28 pm

Postby Brocktune on Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:15 pm

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:
colonel_lugz wrote:Im assuming this is an american band that hasnt crossed the pond yet?, i feel lost here, what kind of music is it?


They're inexplicably called "prog" or "space rock" but it really sounds like generic middle american rock music. Also, the lead singer sings exactly like RUSH.

CAN is prog. HAWKWIND is space rock.

Coheed and Cambria = Bryan Adams meets Rush.


thank you

he also totally looks like king buzzo of the melvins. i have a friend whos into these guys, and he contends that the similarity in appearance isnt intentional. but it still makes him look like a trick ass mark to me. these guys could never touch the melvins. and im not trying to split hairs here ZombieZone, but the "rush" part of your bryan adams meets rush comparison... well, isnt that being a little unfair to rush? i mean, im not a very big rush fan, but come on.
Image
User avatar
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 6490
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:32 pm
Location: Pico & Sepulveda

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:28 pm

Brocktune wrote:
thank you

he also totally looks like king buzzo of the melvins. i have a friend whos into these guys, and he contends that the similarity in appearance isnt intentional. but it still makes him look like a trick ass mark to me. these guys could never touch the melvins. and im not trying to split hairs here ZombieZone, but the "rush" part of your bryan adams meets rush comparison... well, isnt that being a little unfair to rush? i mean, im not a very big rush fan, but come on.


Totally he is trying to look like King Buzzo! And totally he couldn't touch King Buzzo or the Melvins with a ten foot pole from 1 foot away. The Mevlins am awesome!

I didn't mean to knock RUSH (I actually kinda like some of their stuff... a little bit), but thats clearly who C&C music factumry is trying to sound like, doncha think?
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2467
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:28 pm

Postby Brocktune on Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:29 pm

i know, i was just having a go at you. :wink:
Image
User avatar
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 6490
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:32 pm
Location: Pico & Sepulveda

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:33 pm

Brocktune wrote:i know, i was just having a go at you. :wink:


:evil: :lol:
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2467
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:28 pm

Postby Coheed_and_Cambria on Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:25 am

In most cases, they are considered Progressive Punk Rock...

way ahead of most of the shit out there
Image
User avatar
Coheed_and_Cambria
STEAK-A-BABY
 
Posts: 183
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:42 pm
Location: Citrus Springs, FL

Postby Brocktune on Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:29 am

Coheed_and_Cambria wrote:way ahead of most of the shit out there


*sigh* :cry:
i weep for this world
Image
User avatar
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 6490
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:32 pm
Location: Pico & Sepulveda

Postby minstrel on Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:46 am

How did this band get its name? Are the members named Coheed and Cambria?

And, while the singer may not like being compared to Geddy Lee of Rush, it's going to happen, because he sounds a LOT like a weaker Geddy Lee. Not just in range, but in style.

I'm basing this only on the song samples I heard linked from Allmusic.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
User avatar
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency
 
Posts: 12634
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:03 pm
Location: Area 52

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:14 am

The band got their name because each of their songs is another chapter in a sci-fi story...the main characters of that story were Coheed and Cambria...each cd furthers the story...very intriguing stuff...I have seen them 4 times...including their first even "An Evening With Coheed and Cambria" where they played an Acoustic set...and then an electric set....amazing stuff!
Image
User avatar
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 11031
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:32 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Postby MiltonWaddams on Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:18 am

http://tinyurl.com/8ks4b

I apologize in advance for directing ANYBODY to myspace, but if you're looking for a band that sounds like Coheed, it's these guys, as far as vocal range goes.

I listened to Coheed after a ton of my friends recommended them, and the most I could get out of it was a feeling of "I guess they're.. ok."

Everybody talks about how they're ahead of their time with this grandiose concept spanning several albums and a couple comic books, I just think it's kind of.. geeky. If you ever see a picture of the lead singer, it makes even less sense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Claudiosanchez.jpeg
Urer yvrf Z.J.
Xvyyrq ol ungr naq vafvqr wbxrf.
MiltonWaddams
REAL DRAGON
 
Posts: 407
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:31 pm

Postby DrillerKiller on Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:22 pm

After hearing more of their songs they really seem a bit 'meh' to me now. That's the last I'll be hearing of them. It's too emo.

They haven't got a pick on Rush either....I'd love to see them try something like YYZ or Xanadu for the laugh.
Image
Wellycome....in jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam
DrillerKiller
STEAK-A-BABY
 
Posts: 190
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:42 am
Location: The filthy boghole - Laaaaaesh!

Postby Brocktune on Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:30 pm

MiltonWaddams wrote:Everybody talks about how they're ahead of their time with this grandiose concept spanning several albums and a couple comic books, I just think it's kind of.. geeky. If you ever see a picture of the lead singer, it makes even less sense.


dont worry, you are not alone. this stuff isnt way ahead of its time at all. just because you have some sort of narrative, and/or some sort of percieved continuity to your records or songs does not make them groundbreaking efforts. its just another bunch of whiny emo kids crying and boo-hooing their way to the bank.
Image
User avatar
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 6490
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:32 pm
Location: Pico & Sepulveda

Postby Ribbons on Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:33 pm

Brocktune wrote:dont worry, you are not alone. this stuff isnt way ahead of its time at all. just because you have some sort of narrative, and/or some sort of percieved continuity to your records or songs does not make them groundbreaking efforts. its just another bunch of whiny emo kids crying and boo-hooing their way to the bank.


Wait, who said they were groundbreaking? Take it easy, fellas. I don't want to start an argument, but the phrase "crying and boo-hooing their way to the bank" seems pretty crass. Original, talented or no, they're not phoning it in by any means, and to write angsty lyrics is certainly within their rights as musicians.
User avatar
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG
 
Posts: 13562
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:00 am

Postby Brocktune on Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:51 pm

Ribbons wrote:
Brocktune wrote:dont worry, you are not alone. this stuff isnt way ahead of its time at all. just because you have some sort of narrative, and/or some sort of percieved continuity to your records or songs does not make them groundbreaking efforts. its just another bunch of whiny emo kids crying and boo-hooing their way to the bank.


Wait, who said they were groundbreaking? Take it easy, fellas. I don't want to start an argument, but the phrase "crying and boo-hooing their way to the bank" seems pretty crass. Original, talented or no, they're not phoning it in by any means, and to write angsty lyrics is certainly within their rights as musicians.


ok, to be fair, im sure it doesnt sound like crying and boo-hooing all the way to the bank to the people who like this band. thats just what it sounds like to me. every "emo" band ive heard sounds this way. these guys, my chemical romance, finch, what have you. its like, fuck, who cares if the music is good (which, imo it is not), i cant get past the singer's crying to listen to the music. its one thing to write emotionally truthful lyrics, however i would say that dubbing these "angsty lyrics" would be akin to calling hitler a "stern leader". quite an understatement. and in defense of my "all the way to the bank" crack, well, thats what they are doing isnt it? i mean talent or no, or angsty lyrics, or just sobbing like a bitch, either way, they are doing it all the way to the bank. and that is something i think the coheed and cambria lovers and haters can all agree on.

ETA: it absolutely is within their rights as musicians to do this kind of thing. it just isnt my cup of tea. actually, its more than just not my cup of tea, its more like that "coffee" austin powers drank in "the spy who shagged me"
Image
User avatar
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 6490
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:32 pm
Location: Pico & Sepulveda

Postby King Psyz on Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:58 pm

Brocktune wrote:
Coheed_and_Cambria wrote:way ahead of most of the shit out there


*sigh* :cry:
i weep for this world

amen brother...amen
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?
 
Posts: 4906
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:11 pm
Location: anywhere but here

Postby Ribbons on Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:58 pm

Yes, but at the end of the day, that's what all musicians are doing. All the ones who do it for a living, anyway. I'm not arguing with you over whether or not they're "boo-hooing" or making money, because you can't, but, like I said, I think it's a very crass and cynical way of describing the musicmaking process. The same sentiment could be turned around and applied to bands that even you would probably deem "worthy," although if I had to guess it's one you wouldn't use. Ripping bands you don't like a new asshole is certainly within your rights, but I just wanted to point that out. Maybe it's because I'm not as big of a music connoisseur as some people on this site, but people seem to be just plain ferocious to bands they don't like or consider talented, and, I mean I don't know. I don't get it, I guess.
User avatar
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG
 
Posts: 13562
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:00 am

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:33 pm

Ribbons wrote:...but the phrase "crying and boo-hooing their way to the bank" seems pretty crass. Original, talented or no, they're not phoning it in by any means, and to write angsty lyrics is certainly within their rights as musicians.


Ribbons wrote:but people seem to be just plain ferocious to bands they don't like or deem untalented, and, I mean I don't know. I don't get it, I guess.


music criticism is breeding ground for snarky, inventive ways to put down shit you just don't like.

since this is "my" forum, I allow, and encourage, these attacks. It's part of the fun of music criticism, a non-scientific field that's based purely on the critics predisposition to liking certain things and loathing others.

brock, myself and others who chime in with our absolute hatred of certain bands are in no way attacking the "person" who likes said bands, just the bands themselves.

take it with a saltlick, it's not personal, and it's fuckin' fun to read (for me, at any rate).
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
User avatar
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 9407
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:14 am
Location: Blacktionville

Postby Ribbons on Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:42 pm

No I know, I understand. In all honesty I'm not that big a fan of Coheed either. But I was going back and reading this guy talking about how they're like his favorite band and going to see them live was like this huge experience, and then to see his band get PWND over and over, to say stuff like "I weep for tomorrow's generation" and to imply that they're not really musicians or whatever, I mean I felt kind of bad for him, I guess.
User avatar
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG
 
Posts: 13562
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:00 am

Postby Brocktune on Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:50 pm

Ribbons wrote:Yes, but at the end of the day, that's what all musicians are doing. All the ones who do it for a living, anyway. I'm not arguing with you over whether or not they're "boo-hooing" or making money, because you can't, but, like I said, I think it's a very crass and cynical way of describing the musicmaking process. The same sentiment could be turned around and applied to bands that even you would probably deem "good," although if I had to guess it's one you wouldn't use. Ripping bands you don't like a new asshole is certainly within your rights, but I just wanted to point that out. Maybe it's because I'm not as big of a music connoisseur as some people on this site, but people seem to be just plain ferocious to bands they don't like or deem untalented, and, I mean I don't know. I don't get it, I guess.


i totally hear what you are saying. and you are right. being cynical is my speciality. however, it is as true as it is cynical. music and the music industry are just as corrupt and pandering as hollywood is. and they try to force feed us the same garbage. i am a musician, or at least thats what some would call me. so in my jaded, cynical way of thinking, by c&c selling records and being as popular as they are, they are selling mediocrity, and a good percentage of the music buying populous is buying and embracing that mediocrity. i know, i know i am an asshole and a total snob. but believe me when i tell you it is on purpose. i know that just because its pandering and childish to me does not invalidate the connection that so many have to their music. and on some level, its that reason alone that makes debating the quality of music pointless. "who cares if they suck, it does something for me", is never a false statement. so by that rationale, coheed and cambria are just as "good" and just as legitimate as "artists" as any other band. but for as much of a cynic and as big of an asshole as i seem to be when i rally against what i see as a sonic pox on society, and what i believe to be garbage, i am equally as supportive and positive about what i percieve to be good or quality music. i heard somebody say once that anger is the fuel to ignite change. i take that to heart, and will venemously, and staunchly defend the pure, and attack the corrupt. am i even making any sense? i forgot what the fuck i was talking about.
Image
User avatar
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 6490
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:32 pm
Location: Pico & Sepulveda

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:56 pm

Ribbons wrote: But I was going back and reading this guy talking about how they're like his favorite band and going to see them live was like this huge experience, and then to see his band get PWND over and over, to say stuff like "I weep for tomorrow's generation" and to imply that they're not really musicians or whatever, I mean I felt kind of bad for him, I guess.


i hear that.

but ya know, my fave band's Pavement. If I started a thread 'bout how much their music has meant to me, how mindblowing and consciousness expanding their music is, I would sorta expect some backlash, 'cuz while their stuff may do it for me, it certainly won't for others. The venemous hate that would flow would be about the band, not me. Shit, have you heard that pretentious crap that Brocktune and his band plays...it's like being in a sports bar's loo after free chili and wing night, sonic shit... :lol:.

the "I weep for tomorrow's generation" was harsh, but kinda funny too. Maybe I should post some sorta announcement in the thread to not take someone's passionate hatred of your fave band too seriously.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
User avatar
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 9407
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:14 am
Location: Blacktionville

Postby Ribbons on Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:57 pm

Brocktune wrote:i take that to heart, and will venemously, and staunchly defend the pure, and attack the corrupt. am i even making any sense? i forgot what the fuck i was talking about.


I hope not, because then you'd be implying that you know whether or not Coheed & Cambria cares about the music they're making, which you honestly can't. I don't think their music is overtly canny or pandering, and even if they're popular or have gotten certain breaks because of some focus group thing, that doesn't mean that they're "corrupt," although it is a legitimate reason for resenting them, especially if you're a musician yourself.
Last edited by Ribbons on Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG
 
Posts: 13562
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:00 am

Postby Brocktune on Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:58 pm

keepcoolbutcare wrote:brock, myself and others who chime in with our absolute hatred of certain bands are in no way attacking the "person" who likes said bands, just the bands themselves.

take it with a saltlick, it's not personal, and it's fuckin' fun to read (for me, at any rate).



right on, brother

ribbons, never let anything i say in here come between you and i. your love of, and my hatred for coheed and cambria will never be able to destroy my love for you, the zone, or anyone else here.
Image
User avatar
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 6490
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:32 pm
Location: Pico & Sepulveda

Postby Ribbons on Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:59 pm

Brocktune wrote:right on, brother

ribbons, never let anything i say in here come between you and i. your love of, and my hatred for coheed and cambria will never be able to destroy my love for you, the zone, or anyone else here.


Don't worry man, I still love ya.
User avatar
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG
 
Posts: 13562
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:00 am

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:02 pm

i hate you both...
















anger is how i mask my true feelings :oops:
Image
User avatar
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked
 
Posts: 17641
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:18 pm
Location: Pasture next to the Red Barn

Postby Brocktune on Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:13 pm

Ribbons wrote:No I know, I understand. In all honesty I'm not that big a fan of Coheed either. But I was going back and reading this guy talking about how they're like his favorite band and going to see them live was like this huge experience, and then to see his band get PWND over and over, to say stuff like "I weep for tomorrow's generation" and to imply that they're not really musicians or whatever, I mean I felt kind of bad for him, I guess.



thats exactly why i waited for zombiezonesolutions to rip em first. :wink:

just kidding, but seriously, if i started a thread and told everyone about how major of an impact a band like macabre, buffalo daughter, or melt banana had on my life, i would expect a fair amount of shit for it. im used to it.
Image
User avatar
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 6490
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:32 pm
Location: Pico & Sepulveda

Postby King Psyz on Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:22 pm

It was my job to give my unfettered opinion when it came to music for a few years as a zine owner and writer. I have no problem saying something I don't like sucks and something I do like does not.

I belive everything I say when it comes to music 110%, I grew up in a family of musicians and spent my formative years around musicians. I also have tried to listen to just about everything so I think my taste is pretty varried and wide (just like me).

I also talked to a lot of "musicians", and more often than not my disposistion of their music would be highly effected by how they act "off-stage".

I never interviewed c&c, but I do think they're one of the worst things to happen to modern music. I honestly die a little inside when I hear their songs, and the videos...christ. That's great someone finds them listenable, and maybe they are someone's favorite band. But all I can hope for is that when someone hears a band they like, for good or ill, they listen deeper and find out about the musicians that insipred their style and sound.

That's what got me involved with music, listening to the bands that inspired my favorites growing up. NWA and the whole west coast gangsta vibe might not be seen as enlightened music, but it was inspired by some groundbreaking stuff like Parliment, James Brown, Miles Davis, Sun-Ra, ect. So it helped to expand my tastes.

So maybe when we bash bands, we should recomend that fans of that shit band read the liner notes and find out who inspired them and go listen to some of that music too.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?
 
Posts: 4906
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:11 pm
Location: anywhere but here

Postby King Psyz on Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:23 pm

Brocktune wrote:
Ribbons wrote:No I know, I understand. In all honesty I'm not that big a fan of Coheed either. But I was going back and reading this guy talking about how they're like his favorite band and going to see them live was like this huge experience, and then to see his band get PWND over and over, to say stuff like "I weep for tomorrow's generation" and to imply that they're not really musicians or whatever, I mean I felt kind of bad for him, I guess.



thats exactly why i waited for zombiezonesolutions to rip em first. :wink:

just kidding, but seriously, if i started a thread and told everyone about how major of an impact a band like macabre, buffalo daughter, or melt banana had on my life, i would expect a fair amount of shit for it. im used to it.


side note:
I <3'd Buffalo Daughter
RIP Grand Royal (it's all At the Drive In's fault)
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?
 
Posts: 4906
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:11 pm
Location: anywhere but here

Postby minstrel on Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:24 pm

I think it should be pointed out that, for young people who haven't really heard that much music, the first band they come across who does x,y,z is going to sound brilliant, even if some earlier band did x,y,z back in the 60s or whenever. So this young listener will likely think that this new band is very original (heck, if the band themselves are young, they may think they're original, too!) simply because they aren't much aware of the history of popular music.

There are VERY few bands and musicians who truly ARE original, and they mostly suck, because even though they're breaking new ground, others have been there first and decided that that particular ground shouldn't be broken. Originality in itself is not quality.

By the same token, not being particularly original does not mean a band sucks. They may do very tried and true music, but they may do it extraordinarily well. Stevie Ray Vaughn was not an original guitarist, and the blues he played was as standard as it gets, but he was still a spectacular musician who played what he played better than just about everybody on the planet. Was he original? No. Was he great? Sure.

Where am I going with this? Dunno. Just wanted to say some stuff. :)
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
User avatar
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency
 
Posts: 12634
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:03 pm
Location: Area 52

Postby Brocktune on Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:26 pm

King Psyz wrote:side note:
I <3'd Buffalo Daughter
RIP Grand Royal (it's all At the Drive In's fault)


rip indeed!
i fear i may never see them in concert.
Image
User avatar
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 6490
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:32 pm
Location: Pico & Sepulveda

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:28 pm

King Psyz wrote:
Brocktune wrote:
Coheed_and_Cambria wrote:way ahead of most of the shit out there


*sigh* :cry:
i weep for this world

amen brother...amen


Please allow me to second the amen...

What has happened to the youth of today? Wheres the daring underground coolness? Has everyone gone lame? Man, I'm glad I grew up on 80s underground music... Sonic Youth, Big Black, Butthole Surfers... whatever the hell is going on now is just... sad...
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2467
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:28 pm

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:33 pm

Brocktune wrote:
King Psyz wrote:side note:
I <3'd Buffalo Daughter
RIP Grand Royal (it's all At the Drive In's fault)


rip indeed!
i fear i may never see them in concert.


Japanese underground music roxx.

Melt Banana and Boredoms are both literally awe-inspiring. See them if you get the chance. Its essential.

Grand Royal was a great label. I think the B-Boys just stretched themselves too thin. But at least they brought us Buffalo Daughter, Shizuo, and Atari Teenage Riot...
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2467
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:28 pm

Postby King Psyz on Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:39 pm

I remember a band once asked me why there weren't many negative reviews in my zine other than a jab here or there. I told them, if someone sucks that bad I'd rather not give them the free press. Just like the old saying goes no press is bad press.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?
 
Posts: 4906
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:11 pm
Location: anywhere but here

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:42 pm

Underground is dead. Ever since Nirvana broke out, the genres are all crazy and the music companies will sign anybody, no matter what they sound like. This is both good and bad. It allows people to be exposed to all forms of music, but at the same time, you have to be especially astute to pick out the artists from the sell outs.

The singer to Coheed and Cambria sings with heart for sure, but I can only Take Frankie Valli's high pitched whiney crooning without cringing.

When I was 14 I used to write power ballads about girls crushing my soul too.
Image
User avatar
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood
 
Posts: 3682
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:28 am

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:46 pm

Retardo_Montalban wrote:When I was 14 I used to write power ballads about girls crushing my soul too.


IMPAMPILASH! That's great, man, you made my night. :lol:
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2467
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:28 pm

Postby Carolian on Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:47 pm

Retardo_Montalban wrote:Underground is dead. Ever since Nirvana broke out, the genres are all crazy and the music companies will sign anybody, no matter what they sound like. This is both good and bad. It allows people to be exposed to all forms of music, but at the same time, you have to be especially astute to pick out the artists from the sell outs.

The singer to Coheed and Cambria sings with heart for sure, but I can only Take Frankie Valli's high pitched whiney crooning without cringing.

When I was 14 I used to write power ballads about girls crushing my soul too.


Oh shit! Too fucking awesome.
The whole world's wild at heart and weird on top.

This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.
User avatar
Carolian
GRANDO CARLISSIAN
 
Posts: 634
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:17 pm
Location: Ohio

Next

Return to Music

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests