I Got a You Covered, eh?

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Postby Zarles on Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:20 pm

fIREHOSE - 'Sophisticated Bitch'

Slayer - In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida

Dead Kennedys - 'Viva Las Vegas' - Got coke up my nose, to dry away the snot...
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:22 pm

This has got to be my favourite cover version of all time: John Cale - Heartbreak Hotel. It probably shouldn't even be called a cover...it just took the raw Presley original, and transformed it into a shrieking, experimental gothic-tinged classic. Why is Cale so underrated?
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby yaz67 on Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:25 pm

A band called Last Town Chorus covered David Bowie's Modern Love. It has really grown on me. NOTHING like the original. Pretty cool to hear lap steel guitar in a pop song.
yaz67
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby tapehead on Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:29 am

By rights, this should probably suck, but I really like it - The Foo Fighters (a band I've had little interest in since it developed beyond Dave Grohl's studio project and that great first album) do a cover of Arcade Fire's 'Keep the Car Running'. Stereogum have an mp3 download.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:10 am

tapehead wrote:The Foo Fighters (a band I've had little interest in since it developed beyond Dave Grohl's studio project and that great first album)

Inna'teresting that a you feel that way, eh paisan? The Dino, he always has a the ear for a the good rock anna roll band (have I mentioned, recently, the sheer stroke of a my genius inna having a the Queen make a the music for a the Flash Gordon, eh?). Anna I have always a felt that a the Grohl, he's a got a the great ear for a coming uppa with a the catchy "hook" with a the rock anna roll back-a-beat anna yet with a the pop sensibility, no?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:26 am

tapehead wrote:By rights, this should probably suck, but I really like it - The Foo Fighters (a band I've had little interest in since it developed beyond Dave Grohl's studio project and that great first album) do a cover of Arcade Fire's 'Keep the Car Running'. Stereogum have an mp3 download.

It's on big rotation on the BBC today, as they did for the first time for Radio 1 on Friday.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

I Got a You Covered, eh?

Postby bastard_robo on Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:06 am

I've been listening to Killswitch Engage's version of HOLY DIVER... Its what I like about a cover... Basic tone done in the bands personal style!
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Ribbons on Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:28 am

"(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" by Cat Power

It almost sounds like a completely different song, but it really works.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby vicious_bastard on Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:15 am

Ribbons wrote:"(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" by Cat Power

Not as good as Devo's version of the same. I love it so much that I almost certainly mentioned it earlier in this thread. The hypnotic bassline is ripe for sampling as well. I probably did the same with Joanna Newsom's cover of Hendrix's "Little Wing". Magic!
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby Cha-Ka Khan on Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:34 am

This is probably sacrilegious, but one of my most hated songs is "The Weight" by Robbie Robertson and The Band.

Hate everything about it. The allegorical lyrics, the twang, the plodding tempo, the way all those voices come together to (barely) sing "aaaaaaaaaannnnd" right before "put the load on me." I don't think it's possible for another song to make my finger hit another station preset faster than "The Weight."

Imagine my surprise when I heard John Denver's :shock: cover of The Weight. His version is a hippy/bluegrassy/lively version that really brought out the beauty of the song for me.

I was amazed... one of those moments where I suddenly had a whole new way of looking at something.
Cha-Ka Khan
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby unikrunk on Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:00 pm

Fisherspooner covering Wire's 'The 15th'

Oldy but a goody.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:15 pm

Cha-Ka Khan wrote:This is probably sacrilegious, but one of my most hated songs is "The Weight" by Robbie Robertson and The Band.

Hate everything about it. The allegorical lyrics, the twang, the plodding tempo, the way all those voices come together to (barely) sing "aaaaaaaaaannnnd" right before "put the load on me." I don't think it's possible for another song to make my finger hit another station preset faster than "The Weight."

Imagine my surprise when I heard John Denver's :shock: cover of The Weight. His version is a hippy/bluegrassy/lively version that really brought out the beauty of the song for me.

I was amazed... one of those moments where I suddenly had a whole new way of looking at something.

Hoo boy, you're picking a fight here!

I love The Band. I love the homemade feel of their songs. "You know what this song needs? A horn section. Anyone here play any brass instruments? No? Nobody, huh? Well, give it a try anyway." I love how easily they sound so deeply American, especially since they're 80% Canadian.

And The Weight is a great song. Sure, Robertson wrote pretentious lyrics. But the singers managed, through pure backporch honesty, to drain all the pretension from them and infuse them with real humanity.

When I was a kid, learning to play guitar, my guitar-strumming friends and I would play The Weight. Hell, it was easy, and it helped us learn to sing without being so damn self-conscious all the time. The Band's singers were totally untrained and improvisational, and they encouraged us to be the same way, and we'd wail our way through The Weight happily even if we had no idea what the words were talking about, and we loved it.

I still love it.

In fact, I love it so much, Cha-Ka, that you can piss all over it all you want and not change my opinion. :wink:

I think I'm going to go watch The Last Waltz now.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Vegeta on Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:34 pm

Agreed, The Weight is just a classic. It's like people who hate Bob Dylan (for his singing or whatever reason), they're just so missing something...

Regardless, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I can see where Cha Ka is coming from... I just happen to disagree.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Fievel on Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:11 pm

Vegeta wrote:Agreed, The Weight is just a classic. It's like people who hate Bob Dylan (for his singing or whatever reason), they're just so missing something...

Regardless, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I can see where Cha Ka is coming from... I just happen to disagree.

I loathe Bob Dylan.
I've walked out on his concerts twice.

I do, however, dig The Band.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Vegeta on Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:19 pm

Fair enough...
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:16 pm

Fievel wrote:I loathe Bob Dylan.

Twice, eh?

Usually loathing a the putz would a be a the deterrent to purchasing a the concert tickets once, no?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby yaz67 on Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:32 pm

Any Pixies fans in here? Has anyone heard David Bowie's cover of Cactus by the Pixies. It is on his HEATHEN album. Very odd to walk into my local record store and hear one of my favorite songs sung by David Bowie.
yaz67
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby St. Alphonzo on Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:00 pm

yaz67 wrote:Any Pixies fans in here? Has anyone heard David Bowie's cover of Cactus by the Pixies. It is on his HEATHEN album. Very odd to walk into my local record store and hear one of my favorite songs sung by David Bowie.

I actually really love Bowie's version. Unlike his cover of The Modern Lovers' "Pablo Picasso" on Reality, his version of "Cactus" has some depth and emotion put into it.
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby tapehead on Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:21 pm

Bowie covers? I like his cover of Lennon's "Working Class Hero" - on the first Tin Machine album.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Fievel on Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:11 am

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:
Fievel wrote:I loathe Bob Dylan.

Twice, eh?

Usually loathing a the putz would a be a the deterrent to purchasing a the concert tickets once, no?

True, true..

Who's the putz?
The putz, or the putz that walks out twice on him?

Both times, I had gone to specifically see the opening band (Phil Lesh & Friends). Both times I really tried to watch/enjoy Dylan. The second time I even tried to keep the "But he's a legend!" mentality. Didn't help.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby The Vicar on Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:37 am

I love Tony Bennett's cover of Broken Hearts Are for Assholes, by Frank Zappa.
The shear weight of the balls it must have took Tony to talk his producers into letting that one on his album
"Shit Old Crooners Should Not Be Singing".
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby unikrunk on Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:57 am

yaz67 wrote:Any Pixies fans in here? Has anyone heard David Bowie's cover of Cactus by the Pixies. It is on his HEATHEN album. Very odd to walk into my local record store and hear one of my favorite songs sung by David Bowie.

Huge Pixies fan over here; that is a great cover - Bowie has been quoted as saying the Pixies were the only good band in the 80's, including himself in the 'not-good' category for the decade. Not sure I agree with him, but they are probably the best band of the decade. There was other good music in the 80's as well, methinks.

Odd that no one state-side really caught on to them until they broke up - they were huge in the UK, and over here nobody had heard of them.
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:08 am

And speaking of Bowie, I am about to commit heresy to some; his version of Ziggy Stardust is not as good as the cover by Bauhaus – sorry, Bauhaus just did the song better – its Daniel Ash’s guitar and Murphy’s voice; they are made for that song, the song was made for them. It’s just one of those things.

Even Bowie has said that they played it better than he could

The Proof, man.
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby darkjedijaina on Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:48 pm

I like Butch Walker's cover of Good Year for the Roses.
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby tapehead on Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:57 pm

unikrunk wrote:And speaking of Bowie, I am about to commit heresy to some; his version of Ziggy Stardust is not as good as the cover by Bauhaus – sorry, Bauhaus just did the song better – its Daniel Ash’s guitar and Murphy’s voice; they are made for that song, the song was made for them. It’s just one of those things.

The Proof, man.

That's remarkable considering their version is as close to an identical copy of the original as they could produce. Can you source your Bowie quote?

Or the one regards the Pixies?
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Maui on Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:35 am

Dancing in the Street - Martha and the Vandellas

Everyone and their dog has covered this, it seems.

Jagger and Bowie, Van Halen, even Atomic Kitten :shock: :roll:

I thought Van Halen did an OK job, not great, but OK.
Maui
WoWie

Postby DennisMM on Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:49 am

Agreed, tapes. Perhaps the drumming is a bit more frantic, but it sounds the same to me apart from Murphy's somewhat higher, thinner voice.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby minstrel on Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:49 am

What is wrong with Van Morrison? The guy does great original music, but his covers don't usually work.

His version of Pink Floyd's "Comfortably Numb" used in The Departed just plain sucks. Why not use the original?
minstrel

Postby Maui on Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:55 am

minstrel wrote:What is wrong with Van Morrison? The guy does great original music, but his covers don't usually work.

His version of Pink Floyd's "Comfortably Numb" used in The Departed just plain sucks. Why not use the original?

Wow - he did Comfortably Numb? EEK!

Love VM though. Brown Eyed Girl, Someone Like You - just to name a few of my favs.
Maui
WoWie

Postby minstrel on Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:58 am

Maui wrote:
minstrel wrote:What is wrong with Van Morrison? The guy does great original music, but his covers don't usually work.

Wow - he did Comfortably Numb? EEK!

Love VM though. Brown Eyed Girl, Someone Like You - just to name a few of my favs.

Wild Night. Into The Mystic. And It Stoned Me. The whole Astral Weeks album. The guy's brilliant, but sometimes his singing is ... unusual.
minstrel

Postby DennisMM on Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:58 am

Have you heard any of his rerecordings of his own songs? Some are very painful.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby Maui on Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:02 am

Have I Told You Lately that I Love Youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

That's a nice one!
Maui
WoWie

Postby DennisMM on Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:05 am

Happiest song in the world: "Jackie Wilson Said (I'm in Heaven When You Smile)"
DennisMM

Postby minstrel on Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:30 am

DennisMM wrote:Happiest song in the world: "Jackie Wilson Said (I'm in Heaven When You Smile)"

It's one of them. My nomination for that award would probably be "Fisherman's Blues" by The Waterboys. It's impossible to be miserable listening to that.
minstrel

Postby tapehead on Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:28 am

DennisMM wrote:Agreed, tapes. Perhaps the drumming is a bit more frantic, but it sounds the same to me apart from Murphy's somewhat higher, thinner voice.

And even then his phrasing and intonation is virtually identical.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby unikrunk on Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:50 am

tapehead wrote:
unikrunk wrote:And speaking of Bowie, I am about to commit heresy to some; his version of Ziggy Stardust is not as good as the cover by Bauhaus – sorry, Bauhaus just did the song better – its Daniel Ash’s guitar and Murphy’s voice; they are made for that song, the song was made for them. It’s just one of those things.

The Proof, man.

That's remarkable considering their version is as close to an identical copy of the original as they could produce. Can you source your Bowie quote?

Or the one regards the Pixies?

re: sources - I heard him speaking directly of his cover of the Pixies track on NPR, of all places - it was right around the time he released it - they played both versions of Cactus (a taste of each) and asked him why the cover - he went on to talk about them being the only good band from the 80's, and how he does not really care for the stuff he was doing with Tin Machine or whatever the hell he was doing at the time.

With his remarks on Bauhaus, I believe this stemmed from a BBC (edit - it looks like this was an NME interview from 82, actually) interview - he did not care for the band, in fact he said he did not like them - however they played the song the way it was meant to played.

There is a difference, slight, yet apparent, in the two recordings - Bauhaus plays the song a little more up-tempo, and it is a little dirtier sounding - a little rawer than Bowie's version. Bowie's version is more of a ballad, where Bauhaus made a rock track out of it.

If that makes any sense; I hope it does, just woke up, and have not finished a cup of coffee.
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:59 am

Nah it's cool - I usually like covers that do something different to the original - that reveal something else in the song - wheras, as you say, this is pretty similar to live versions I've heard Ziggy and the Spiders do, just a slightly garage rock version maybe. Mick Ronson was a guitar god all the time he played with Bowie.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:21 pm

LCD Soundsystem's blistering cover of Joy Division "No Love Lost", the cover that should've played over the end credits of CONTROL instead of the Killers limp dick piss take on "Shadowplay".
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:01 am

So I'm listening to Bat For Lashes' Fur and Gold, realising this is one of the bands that PJ Harvey probably listened to a lot before recording her last album. I'm thinking it's pretty good despite is 'wymyn play music' cliches, when, at the end, they do this dark, slow-paced, almost mournful version of Springsteen's "I'm On Fire" from 'Born in The USA. Unfortunately it's the most memorable track on the album.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:15 am

So, I'm at work today listening to the soundtrack for "into the wild", and while "Hard Sun" is playing, my friend says "Why in the hell are all the radio stations playing that song, it's like 12 years old. I perk up immediately and set the fella straight. I says "Hey, fella this ain't old, this is Eddie Vedder's new song, it just came out". My friend says "Eddie Vedder? I thought this was Indio.

"Indio??¿ who in the hell are Indio"

I looked Indio up and yup the song's a cover and it's pretty much exactly the same with a different vocalist. Eddie Vedder made me a damned fool.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Spifftacular SquirrelGirl on Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:42 am

I enjoy Foo Fighter's cover of "Darling Nikki"
Spifftacular SquirrelGirl
AIRWOLF

Postby Bayouwolf on Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:15 am

Does it count when an artist covers their own song?

"Layla" by Derek and the Dominos
Then later redone acoustically by Clapton himself.
The remake had more of a blues feel to it that made that song for me.

And as a tribute to Johnny Cash (not superior, just paying homage to a legend) Social Distortions cover of "Ring of Fire" is pretty damn easy to listen to.
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Postby Maui on Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:28 pm

Mission Impossible Theme - Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen (from U2)
I don't know what orchestra did the original - but these two guys really do a mighty fine job with the tune!!

Baby I'm Amazed by Jem
Beautiful voice this gal has, as well, I like the addition of the banjo to this cover.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Zarles on Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:34 pm

The Polysics' cover of My Sharona has me doing the :D right now.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DaleTremont on Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:11 pm

I quite like Nouvelle Vague's cover of Guns of Brixton.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby King Of Nowhere on Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:28 pm

Lennon's take on Stand by me.
Sid Vicious - My Way.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Theta on Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:28 pm

Ribbons wrote:"(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" by Cat Power

Eh, gimme Devo's, any day.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Theta on Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:29 pm

The Garbage Man wrote:Renegades, Rage Against the Fucking Machine, Bitch.

A shit album from a shit band.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Fawst on Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:50 pm

Frontline Assembly feat. Tiffany (yes, that Tiffany) covering U2's New Year's Day. Man do I love that version.

Frontline Assembly feat. Kristy Thirsk covering Madonna's Justify My Love. Another great one.

And I have to admit... I really do dig Disturbed's cover of Genesis's Land of Confusion. That song needed a harder edge than Genesis was capable of, and it works quite well.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:53 pm

Theta wrote:
The Garbage Man wrote:Renegades, Rage Against the Fucking Machine, Bitch.

A shit album from a shit band.

what kind of a preening jackass listens to all of a band's prior material, and then, when they put out a covers album, listens to that as well?
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

PreviousNext

Return to Music