I Got a You Covered, eh?

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Postby Zarles on Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:57 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Theta wrote:
The Garbage Man wrote:Renegades, Rage Against the Fucking Machine, Bitch.

A shit album from a shit band.

what kind of a preening jackass listens to all of a band's prior material, and then, when they put out a covers album, listens to that as well?

A thorough one? :?:
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DaleTremont on Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:08 pm

king_of_nowhere wrote:Sid Vicious - My Way.

Oh wow. Word. Fucking word.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Seppuku on Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:18 pm

I think The Clash were the Cover Kings. Pretty much every one of their covers were so good that most people figured they wrote them.

Examples:

I Fought The Law
Police & Thieves
Police On My Back
Revolution Rock
Pressure Drop
Brand New Cadillac
This is Radio Clash :wink:
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Ribbons on Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:22 pm

Not saying I like it better, but I'm also fond of Green Day's version of "I Fought the Law." Although there's something a little fucked up/ironic about the fact that they recorded it for iTunes.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Seppuku on Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:28 pm

:lol:

"I fought the law and the law promised me I'd get 12 and a half % royalties if I sign a 10-single deal".
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Theta on Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:29 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Theta wrote:
The Garbage Man wrote:Renegades, Rage Against the Fucking Machine, Bitch.

A shit album from a shit band.

what kind of a preening jackass listens to all of a band's prior material, and then, when they put out a covers album, listens to that as well?

Oh, I haven't heard all their music, but plenty more of it than I've wanted to. Plenty of people have tried to turn me to the cult, and each song I've heard has just cemented my dislike more. Morello's a great guitarist, but that's not enough to redeem them. It doesn't help that the lead singer needs to drink a nice tall frosty glass of STFU, either.

I wound up being given this album as a gag gift and listened to it the whole way through in the interests of being fair (my argument to that point was that they had one or two basic formulas, to which they wrote ill-informed lyrics about "fighting the man" and rapped badly).

I'll say this: I was highly entertained, and I would pay money to hear what Mark Mothersbaugh thought of the Devo cover. Overall though, this album is the best argument against RATM short of, well, their interviews.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Fawst on Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:30 pm

Meh, Green Day cashed in. Can't fault them.

EDIT: Morello is a fucking asshat gentleman. He's such a douche. He is a great guitar player, but I can't stand him in the least. I don't have any problems with Zach, though. I admire his passion.
Last edited by Fawst on Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Theta on Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:31 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:I think The Clash were the Cover Kings. Pretty much every one of their covers were so good that most people figured they wrote them.

Examples:

I Fought The Law
Police & Thieves
Police On My Back
Revolution Rock
Pressure Drop
Brand New Cadillac
This is Radio Clash :wink:

I had no idea "Revolution Rock" or "Brand New Cadillac" were covers.

Which would prove your point.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Seppuku on Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:34 pm

I forgot to mention Armagideon Time. You can hear the original on the Grosse Pointe Blank soundtrack, which was compiled by Joe himself. It was also on one of the GTA radio stations, right? I can't remember which one.
Last edited by Seppuku on Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Zarles on Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:38 pm

Fawst wrote:Meh, Green Day cashed in. Can't fault them.

EDIT: Morello is a fucking asshat gentleman. He's such a douche. He is a great guitar player, but I can't stand him in the least. I don't have any problems with Zach, though. I admire his passion.

Meh. I can't stand either of them. As for Zach, there's only so much I can handle from a guy that preaches smashing the state, yet drives around town in an Escalade and has a mansion up in the Hollywood Hills.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:45 pm

Green Day are from BERKELEY!!!!!

They WERE good until they went POP!!!!!

When I Come Around....

Brain Stew.....
Maui
WoWie

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:01 pm

Xiu Xiu - Under Pressure ft. Michael Gira

Good version of the song which is on their new album.
Last edited by stereosforgeeks on Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Zarles on Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:02 pm

Maui wrote:Green Day are from BERKELEY!!!!!

When I Come Around....

Brain Stew.....

They're actually from Vallejo and thereabouts, but yeah, they got their start in Berkeley at 924 Gilman St. Their records have been remarkably good all the way through their success, actually. I'm not fond of American Idiot in its entirety, but I wouldn't at all say it's a bad record. Let's face it - they've always been pretty pop, too. I'm not bashing them for that, either - Billie Joe writes a great pop hook.

A friend of mine hired them to play his backyard birthday party when they were still nobodies. He's got video of it somewhere.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:08 pm

Zarles wrote:

When I Come Around....

Brain Stew.....

They're actually from Vallejo and thereabouts, but yeah, they got their start in Berkeley at 924 Gilman St. Their records have been remarkably good all the way through their success, actually. I'm not fond of American Idiot in its entirety, but I wouldn't at all say it's a bad record. Let's face it - they've always been pretty pop, too. I'm not bashing them for that, either - Billie Joe writes a great pop hook.

A friend of mine hired them to play his backyard birthday party when they were still nobodies. He's got video of it somewhere.

Mac Dre hails from Vallejo too!
Maui
WoWie

Postby Seppuku on Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:13 pm

Zarles wrote:

When I Come Around....

Brain Stew.....

No way would Green Day have written a song as wet as Macy's Day Parade in their prime.
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby DennisMM on Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:20 pm

I'd agree, but they've been around for twenty years. For most bands that's three lifetimes. And they're not so young anymore. They were barely 18 when they started recording and they're all 35 now, with nearly 15 years of major-label business, touring and hype. People change. The Beatles changed two or three times in 15 years of Lennon and McCartney.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Maui on Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:22 pm

Yup, same with the Beasties. They started off Punk, moved to white boy rap, now look at their latest stuff - all instrumental.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Zarles on Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:22 pm

Yeah. I agree they're not the same band they used to be, but they're still miles better than most of the shitty pop-punk bands that all try to sound like them. I like their attitude, really. One could say that they 'sold out', but like I said, their records are still good. They took the success that they got and ran with it.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:03 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:
Zarles wrote:Let's face it - they've always been pretty pop, too. I'm not bashing them for that, either - Billie Joe writes a great pop hook.

No way would Green Day have written a song as wet as Macy's Day Parade in their prime.

For the doofi like myself in the audience, what does this "wet" of which you speak mean?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:18 pm

Boy Least Likely Too - Faith (George Michael)

Some other covers are there as well.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby tapehead on Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:41 pm

I know there's a few versions of this song floating about by now, but for me this is by far the most interesting
Manic Street Preachers cover Rhianna's Umbrella.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby JpPrewitt789 on Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:06 pm

My favorite Zeppelin song of all time "When the Levee Breaks" was a cover I believe.

Dynamite Hack's version of "My 64" is fun to listen to. Another example of white guys with acoustic guitars covering a hardcore gangster rap song.
JpPrewitt789
REAL DRAGON

Postby King Of Nowhere on Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:34 pm

Personal Jesus - Johnny Cash.
It's on the same album as Hurt, worth a listen.

Klaxons - It's not over yet.
Im not a huge fan of them, but it's far better than the original (by some mid-90's rave group).

Also, i got Thank You by Duran Duran.
I was listening & thinking "This ain't so bad, they're having fun covering The Furious Five (of Grand master Flash &... fame), Sly & The family..." & then Perfect Day came on, "Oh, tha- What the fuck is this shit?"
I dunno what's worse, this version or the one BBC put out with about 40 people singing on it.
Fucking awful. I've never been a fan of Lou Reed, but when he sang the song it had a fucking point. It wasn't easy to listen to, it sounded like pain, the Duran Duran version is just overproduced elevator music.

Simon -"Hey Nick, the label's getting pissed off, they want the cover album done by the end of the week"
Nick - "Wanna make a bland cover of a chilling classic?"
Simon - "yeah, make sure you dial up the MIDI orchestra patch"

*sigh*

I wouldn't have minded if they'd put their own spin on it, a fucked up new romantic ballad about heroin could've worked (Just look at Bryan Ferry's 80's output for proof).

Sadly, Lou himself said it was "the best cover ever done of one of my songs". But he also liked the BBC version.

:roll:
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby papalazeru on Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:37 pm

My fave cover....

This

Best ever song.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Hermanator X on Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:39 pm

I have a superb mp3 of Sammy Davis Jr singing Shaft.

In fact, I done a little digging and you can hear it here!!

(Well you can listen to a 30 second sample of it anyway!!)
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby King Of Nowhere on Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:50 pm

papalazeru wrote:My fave cover....

This

Best ever song.

Sadly, you're a day late with that link.
Although, yours is the non rolling version, maybe that would've avoided the controversy.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby papalazeru on Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:08 pm

Dang.

I do love that joke though.

papalazeru

Postby DennisMM on Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:22 pm

It's not a bad record at all. Certainly better than half the shit we heard then and half the shit we hear now. It never pretended to be anything but a light, white R&B piece. Astley did look a bit goofy. Letterman said of him, "Little weeny guy, great big voice."

I was thinking while trying to wake up this morning of potentially great covers - songs that might have been covered well by artists who never did. Roy Orbison should have sung Bruce Springsteen's "Brilliant Disguise."

BTW, this is my favorite music video EVAR.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby King Of Nowhere on Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:25 pm

DennisMM wrote:It's not a bad record at all. Certainly better than half the shit we heard then and half the shit we hear now. It never pretended to be anything but a light, white R&B piece. Astley did look a bit goofy. Letterman said of him, "Little weeny guy, great big voice."

I was thinking while trying to wake up this morning of potentially great covers - songs that might have been covered well by artists who never did. Roy Orbison should have sung Bruce Springsteen's "Brilliant Disguise."

BTW, this is my favorite music video EVAR.

It's also not available in my country.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby DennisMM on Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:25 pm

Well, shit. Sorry.

It's Springsteen, in his shadowy kitchen in New Jersey, singing and playing acoustic guitar live. These were then mixed with the backing track from the album cut. It's a single shot, B&W. He's sitting in a chair with the guitar on his knee. As he sings, the camera pushes in from a shot that covers him from below the knee to above his head. He's singing directly into the camera as, slowly and steadily over three minutes, it moves closer until the shot is an extreme CU of Springsteen's face. As the backing track plays into the fade out he drops his head, then raises it half in shadow with an inscrutable expression on his face.
Last edited by DennisMM on Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DennisMM

Postby King Of Nowhere on Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:29 pm

DennisMM wrote:Well, shit. Sorry.

This Version works, not sure it's the same video though as i cant see the 1st.

Black & white, Bruce with an acoustic, the same video?
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby DennisMM on Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:32 pm

That's the one, see above for my lengthy description.

ETA: Let it be known that another of my favorite videos is The Replacements' "Bastards of Young." In very different ways, both Springsteen and the 'Mats fucked with the dominant paradigm of music video in the '80s (and today, I guess).

Hope this is available in UK and on the continent.
DennisMM

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:38 pm

stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby St. Alphonzo on Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:45 pm

Scarlett Johansson covers Tom Wai....

Ah, nevermind.

Yo stereo: is it bad that I just can't get into Ryan Adams? I know he's a geek fave and all, and I have a couple of his albums... but when he comes up in a shuffle, I generally tend to skip over it.

Do I need to turn in my music geek badge?
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:57 pm

St. Alphonzo wrote:Yo stereo: is it bad that I just can't get into Ryan Adams? I know he's a geek fave and all, and I have a couple of his albums... but when he comes up in a shuffle, I generally tend to skip over it.

no.

for that, you get promoted!
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby St. Alphonzo on Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:02 pm

Glad to hear it. Generally he just bores me to tears.

------
I was just listening to "Endless Highway" which is tribute album for The Band.

Really, people just need to stop making tribute albums. Out of a dozen or so songs on any of these things, there are gererally only two that are even worth listening to. "Endless Highway" has exactly... well none at all.
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:11 pm

St. Alphonzo wrote:Yo stereo: is it bad that I just can't get into Ryan Adams? I know he's a geek fave and all, and I have a couple of his albums... but when he comes up in a shuffle, I generally tend to skip over it.

I think Heartbreaker is a great album but everythign since has been hit or miss. Most albums have some good songs but mostly feel like filler. He doesnt really have a filter that tells him when an idea is good enough or not.

As for Whiskeytown I really think that is where Ryan Adams made his mark. I feel like Caitlin Cary (who is a great songwriter herself) really helped blockade his bad ideas and it made for some really great albums.

To answer simply, NO.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Re: I Got a You Covered, eh?

Postby Ribbons on Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:19 am

Upgrayeddded, with a triple dose of Lily Allen:

Mr. Blue Sky
ELO version
Lily Allen version

Everybody's Changing
Keane version
Lily Allen version

Naive
The Kooks version
Lily Allen version
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Maui on Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:29 am

Low Rider
Gary Hoey

Pretty decent.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Ribbons on Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:51 am

"You Belong With Me" by Taylor Swift - the metal version!

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby papalazeru on Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:32 am

Ribbons wrote:"You Belong With Me" by Taylor Swift - the metal version!

That was actually pretty offensive on so many levels apart from the Aesthetic.

papalazeru

Postby Maui on Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:28 pm

Hallelujah - Rufus Wainwright
Waiting in Vain - Annie Lennox

And talking about NOT having you covered, eh? I heard SRV do Stevie Wonder's Superstition the other day. Meh.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Fievel on Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:49 pm

Every cover that Pomplamoose does is flippin' genius.

Here's their version of Michael Jackson's Beat It.
(apologies if this has been posted)

EDIT: SHIT! I posted them in the Video Links thread. Oh well. Enjoy a second time!

Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fievel on Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:51 pm

Maui wrote:And talking about NOT having you covered, eh? I heard SRV do Stevie Wonder's Superstition the other day. Meh.

I heard that version a lot on my old local rock station back in the mid-90's.
Once was enough.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Peven on Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:25 pm

Manfred Mann, best cover band ever

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:46 pm

Maui wrote:And talking about NOT having you covered, eh? I heard SRV do Stevie Wonder's Superstition the other day. Meh.

Be sure to avoid SRV's version of The Beatles' "Taxman." Meh doesn't even begin to cover how awful it is.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re:

Postby Kornula on Tue May 04, 2010 7:05 pm

When I Come Around....

Brain Stew.....

Seriously?/ they were always pop.
Kornula
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Re:

Postby Kornula on Tue May 04, 2010 7:27 pm

cinephile2000 wrote:Any of the 5678's covers of old fifties songs are very enjoyable, exspecially wooly Bully
Then the Gypsy kings? version of Hotel California which is featured on The Big Lebowskie
all Blues brothers covers

Actually, the Gypsy Kings version was released years before The Big Lewbowski on Rubaiyat; Elektras 40th Anniversary tribute album. One of the few tribute albums I love. Its all Elektra recording artists covering other eletra artists; The Cure covering the Doors, Metallica covering Queen, Howard Jones covering the cure.

Deadicated; a tribute to the Greatful dead is also a fun tribute; Janes Addction covered "Ripple'" which brings it new life - as a good cover can do.

Stay Awake; various *interpretations* (not covers) of Disney songs. Its not the Disney you grew up with for sure!

Nouvelle Vague. This is mindblowing. While some friends hate hate hate what they've done to some of their favorite songs, I adore this band. Imagine a Nico-esque lounge singer from France, covering 80s songs. This is prime example of what someone can do with an existing song, and opening it up to new interpretations.

..then there is "Strange Little girls" by Tori Amos. Its an ambitious project where she sings songs about women - who were written by men. There are two songs she should have left alone; Tom Waits "time" and.. oh. I forget the other..but the rest of the album is intriguing.

There is a tribute album to The Rutles now!!?? I"m shocked there is no tribute album to Spinal tap yet.

Oh, there is also "Toms Album" covers.. more *interpretations* than covers really, of Suzanne Vegas Toms diner.

The best is last; Stairways to heaven; 12 *interpretations* of Stairway to heaven. In this case, each version takes a familar, powerful, memorable melody.. like the B 52s Rock Lobster, inserts the lyrics to Stairway to Heaven. This has to be heard. Describing this experience is not possible
Kornula
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:21 am

stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby JakWhyte on Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:07 pm

The White Stripes do a wicked cover of Jolene by Dolly Parton.
So I have this blog where I review films. And you should check it out. Why? Because I asked nicely. ^_^

http://terrellreviews.blogspot.com/
JakWhyte
GLIB

PreviousNext

Return to Music