I Got a You Covered, eh?

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Postby buster00 on Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:54 am

After I d00shed all over Pacino on The Cardigans, it dawned on me that they did a mellow version of Black Sabbath's "Iron Man." Very fonky.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:11 am

Man -how could I forget Shatner! Kirk would not be impressed! OK, almost everything the guy does is risibly bad, but his version of Pulp's Common People - I just can't help myself, I think it's quite good....

"She told me that her dad was loaded, I said 'in that case I'll have a rum and coca-cola' - she said fine."

Shatner's finest hour....
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DrillerKiller on Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:40 am

The Doors - Back Door Man (Howlin' Wolf)
Oingo Boingo - Don't Fear (the Reaper) - BOC
Oysterhead - Bell Bottom Blues (Cream)
Rush - Crossroads (The Who)
Stanley Jordan - Eleanor Rigby (The Beatles)
Wellycome....in jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam
DrillerKiller
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby minstrel on Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:34 pm

DrillerKiller wrote:The Doors - Back Door Man (Howlin' Wolf)
Oingo Boingo - Don't Fear (the Reaper) - BOC
Oysterhead - Bell Bottom Blues (Cream)
Rush - Crossroads (The Who)
Stanley Jordan - Eleanor Rigby (The Beatles)

Not to be too picky or anything, but Bell Bottom Blues was originally by Derek and the Dominos, not Cream. Easy mistake to make, though.

I didn't know Rush did Crossroads, but if it's the song I'm thinking of, it was written by Robert Johnson and the most famous version was a cover by Cream. I can't be sure, but I don't think the Who ever did it.
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby DrillerKiller on Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:58 am

Oh shit! How right you are! I've gotta start taking time with my posts, I tend to bang them out in 10 seconds and then slap myself over something or other.

I took a chance with Bell Bottom Blues, I just knew Clapton had a hand in it.

As for Crossroads, you're damn right. I was thinking or Rush's cover of 'The Seeker' while writing that. I stand corrected.
DrillerKiller
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby bc1970 on Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:19 am

Concrete Blonde did a good version of Little Wing

The Cult stomped Born To be Wild

There's an R&B lady from the 70's that also covers Pour Some Sugar... she usually does songs with a rude edge. The song sounds horrible no matter who sings it. EDIT: Millie Jackson

U2 - Dancing Barefoot, which Concrete Blonde also covered
bc1970
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Cottonwood on Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:40 am

Got to chime in on Cash, "One" and most of American Recordings, basically. And "Mr Grieves" by TV On The Radio, brilliant.

Not sure if these are mentioned, but:

Black Crowes - "Hard to Handle"
Gun - "Word Up"
Cottonwood
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby DrillerKiller on Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:31 pm

Z-Rock Hawaii (Ween & Boredoms) - Bad to the Bone (George Thorogood & The Destroyers
Dream Theater - Battery (Metallica)
Primus - Hello Skinny/Constantinople (The Residents)
The Residents - 1999 (Prince)
Muse - House of the Rising Sun (The Animals)
Radiohead - Nobody Does it Better (Carly Simon?)
Nailbomb - Police Truck (Dead Kennedy's)
DrillerKiller
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby DennisMM on Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:37 pm

Time for a sister thread - Completely Unnecessary Covers.

http://zone.aintitcool.com/viewtopic.php?p=134495#134495
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Mrblonde885 on Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:58 pm

Nonpoint - In the Air Tonight (Phil Collins)
Seether - Change (Deftones)
Fuel - Daniel (Elton John)
Finger Eleven - Walking In My Shoes (Depeche Mode)
TRUSTcompany - Rock the Casbah (The Clash)
Mrblonde885
GLIB

Postby smallerdemon on Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:21 pm

What? No mention at all yet of Luther Wright & The Wrongs' cover of Pink Floyd's <i>The Wall</i>? Yeesh. You people...

In truth, I am a HUGE fan of that entire cover, called <i>Rebuild The Wall</i>. Discovered it early on in its development one day whlie I was searching for an alternate video of "Another Brick In The Wall: Part II". Ordered the Part 1 CD even (and it seems only a few of those actually were released).

It's basically a bluegrass and country cover of the entire album. And it works amazingly well as a country honky tonk opera.

I went to see them a few years back just after this album was released, and they are a great bunch of guys. Gracious, appreciative of their audience, and amazingly talented. I've bought plenty of their original stuff now and I'm just as happy with that as I was with their cover.
smallerdemon
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby vicious_bastard on Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:04 pm

Wow - this is fucking awesome. Mark Ronson and the dude from Phantom Planet cover Radiohead's 'Just'. Funkiest shit I ever heard. Get down and groove! We dance all day in this house.

Check his Myspace to hear it. I have no decent link sadly.
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby Flumm on Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:24 pm

Flumm wrote:Theres a great version of Radioheads "Just" going around at the minute, by Mark Ronson. You wouldn't think Radiohead would fair very well being covered, but it's actually really inspired.

...don't worry VB, there's thousands of tracks mentioned here all over the place, no way you're gonna remember em all, and plus I don't really read my posts either. :)

Anyways, tis a great track, and I if I remember right, I think ronson has a whole album of covers comin out in the same kinda style...
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Eric G on Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:28 pm

Ugly Kid Joe - Master of Puppets (Originally by Metallica) This song has probably been out for at least a decade, but I've never heard it before. When I did, I almost liked it more than the original. Ugly Kid Joe are spot on and give the song some much needed BALLS
Eric G
AIRWOLF

Postby St. Alphonzo on Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:50 pm

I was very surprised recently when I heard a cover of XTC's "Dear God" as covered by (gasp) Sarah McLachlan. It's a pointed and passionate reading of an already great song. I later read that Andy Partridge believes that her version is better than his. I'm not willing to go that far just yet, but it really is a fabulous cover. Seek it out (I found it at emusic.com, a pay site).
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby wonkabar on Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:38 pm

Cole Porter's "Well, Did You Evah?" with Debbie Harry and Iggy Pop on vocals. Status Quo's "Pictures of Matchstick Men" performed by Camper-Van-Beethoven.
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Gheorghe Zamfir on Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:47 am

Don't think it counts as a cover, since its the same band, but just thought I'd throw out Flaming Lips has a great version of "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, Pt. 1," just a piano and Drozd but its wonderfully effective.

A lot of great ones have been mentioned, Cash's NIN cover, Gin and Juice's take on Snoop Dog, Ben Folds "Bitches Ain't Shit," and Tori Amos's cover of Eminem (guess I have a thing for rap songs out of context), Tori Amos has another cover I love of "I Don't Like Mondays" (Tori's cover album Strange Little Girls in general has some gems on it). Back when Kilborn had a late night talk show Dave Grohl used to come on and perform goofy lil acoustic versions of songs, despite the fact that he was pretty much just goofin around and didn't know the lyrics of "Stairway to Heaven" and only wanted to get to the chorus of "Tiny Dancer" I find both strangely listenable.

Ani DiFranco's cover of Dylan's "Most of the Time," done with a banjo even, is fantastic, and Jill Sobule did cover of Zevon's "Don't Let Us Get Sick" on the tribute album that just breaks my heart, its just a really gorgeous rendition of that song.
Gheorghe Zamfir
REAL DRAGON

Postby Alex DeLarge on Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:50 pm

All the Lead Belly songs and The Man Who Sold The World covered by Nirvana, All Along The Watch Tower by Jimi Hendrix, and Live and Let Die by the Guns N Roses, Under Pressure by MCR and the Used.
Alex DeLarge
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby tapehead on Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:16 pm

Beck's cover of that track by the Korgis - 'everybody's gotta learn sometime' takes an excellent pop song and infuses it with hopelessness and sadness - it's beautiful!
think it's on the soundtrack to ''Eternal Sunshine..."
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby tapehead on Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:28 pm

I personally think most of the songs that the gunners covered - Live and let die, knockin on heaven's door, sympathy for the devil - died a little when axl strangled them
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby St. Alphonzo on Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:32 pm

tapehead wrote:I personally think most of the songs that the gunners covered - Live and let die, knockin on heaven's door, sympathy for the devil - died a little when axl strangled them

I wasn't gonna say nothin'... but I must agree. It really pissed me off that several (moronic) friends of mine wondered why some old fart (Dylan) would cover a G'n'R song. They were just lucky I couldn't find a weapon at that moment.
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby tapehead on Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:44 pm

Yeah, it's true - the gunners were awesome when they rocked, but let near anything resembling a folksy ballad or a hint of melodrama (live and let die)or a tricky time signature (sympathy) and.... not so good
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Seppuku on Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:15 pm

The rockabilly/barbershop version of Blue Moon that plays at the end of American Werewolf in London is really good once you get over the fact that it's not exactly gonna top Sam Cooke's version. I was standing outside the cinema the other day, and there were a few 15 year old kids who suddenly broke out into an a cappella version there and then in the line. Weird moment.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:38 pm

St. Alphonzo wrote:Stevie Ray Vaughan's instrumental version of Jimi's "Little Wing" is spectacular.

and if it can truly be called a cover, I'd agree with KCBC about "Waves Of Mutilation - UK Surf Mix", the Pixies' alternate take. Good stuff.

I'm in no way saying it's superior, but a band called The South Austin Jug Band did a bluegrass/country cover of Little Wing, and it surpringly kicked a lot of ass. You wouldn't think acoustics, a fiddle, and a bango would go with that song, but it had a mellow, kick ass sound.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby sputo on Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:22 pm

For those of you who haven't heard it already, Dub Side of the Moon
by Easy Star All Stars, great cover of a classic album, definately stands on its own...
sputo
GLIB

Postby minstrel on Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:31 pm

There was an album of Led Zeppelin covers by a bunch of little-known bands called "The Song Retains The Name". It wasn't all good, but it was kinda interesting.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby matthew on Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:39 pm

I'm a fan of The Dillinger Escape Plan's cover of Come to Daddy by Aphex Twin. I like the original, but hearing it played well by an actual band is so much more impressive.

I also agree with Milton, Soft Cell's cover of Tainted Love is far better than the original by Gloria Jones.

TV on the Radio does a pretty keen doo wap cover of The Pixies song Mr. Grieves.

for all you metal and grindcore fans, The Number 12 Looks like you does a hilarious cover of My Sharona by the Knacks.

can't think of anything else.
matthew
GLIB

Postby DrillerKiller on Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:51 pm

Has anybody ever heard Frank Zappa's Beatles medley? It's one of the funniest things I've ever heard. For instance - the lyrics to Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds have been changed to Louisiana Hooker with Herpes, and all the lyrics have been changed to something of a sexual nature. The music's different (and sexcellent) too.

He does a great version of Iron Butterfly's 'In-a-Gadda-da-Vida' called 'In-a-Gadda-Stravinsky' too...it beats Slayer's version anyway.
DrillerKiller
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby sleepflower on Tue May 02, 2006 2:48 am

Jose Gonzalez cover of Kylie Minogues 'hand on your heart' is genius.

Also does anyone know who is covering Gnarlse Barkley, Crazy?

Someone said it was Jose, but I dont think it is (may be wrong)

Heard a kooks version but not as good as the acoustic one I have heard.
The Noblest Pleasure is The Joy of Understanding
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Tue May 02, 2006 10:39 am

Has anyone here heard the new 'Bonnie' Prince Billie and Turtle CD? I was thinking about giving that a listen, but I wanted to hear some opinions first.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby vicious_bastard on Tue May 02, 2006 4:30 pm

vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby Seppuku on Tue May 02, 2006 4:43 pm

Hahahaha, thanks for the link VB. I'm not sure whether that song makes me want to listen to more hip-hop and neo-folk, or less. It's kinda digging into both but it still works at the same time. Good tune. I just can't wait for KT Tunstall's new album, which apparently consists entirely of Ol Dirty Bastard covers.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby vicious_bastard on Tue May 02, 2006 4:46 pm

Easy E would definitely approve - then try and screw her no doubt.
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby Theta on Sat May 27, 2006 1:43 pm

I actually really like Tori Amos' "Strange Little Girls", especially her cover of "Heart of Gold."
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby St. Alphonzo on Sat May 27, 2006 2:08 pm

Theta wrote:I actually really like Tori Amos' "Strange Little Girls", especially her cover of "Heart of Gold."

She does a nice job with Tom Waits' "Time". When she performed it on Letterman shortly after 9/11, it actually made him tear up a little.
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby Ribbons on Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:17 am

You've heard of Radiohead. Well now experience... Radiodread!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby tapehead on Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:48 am

:lol: Radiodread are so much better than I imagined was possible! Better than Dread Zeppelin :lol:

Jose Gonzales - Put Your Hand on Your Heart

I'm not sure how many Zoners outside of the Commonwealth will have heard the original version of this song, sung by Kylie Minogue and co-written with Stock, Aitken and Waterman, who produced it. Although Jose Gonzales is a little cover-happy and some of his output has been known to induce sleep, this song elevates the original into something quite lovely.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby King Of Nowhere on Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:50 pm

Apocalyptica do Metallica songs with cellos & stuff, sounds quite good.

Also, not strictly a cover ,but 'THE MEAT PUPPETS' re-worked 'Lake of fire' as a bonus track on the 'Too High To die' album was nice.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby The Garbage Man on Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:26 am

I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned yet, but I've been listening to a lot of Atreyu recently and their cover of "You Give Love a Bad Name" is amazing.

They make Bon Jovi listenable.

Seriously.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby instant_karma on Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:54 am

For the obligatory Cash cover, I'd go for his version of Nick Lowe's Beast in Me.

John Lennon's version of Stand By Me is I think up there with the original.

Willie Nelson and Sinead O'Conners version of Don't Give UP.

Ben Harper's version of The Drugs Don't Work.

Cowboy Junkies version of Walking After Midnight.
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:26 am

"Any Way That You Want Me", the original by The Troggs is all well and good, but then Evie Sands put some soul strut behind it to considerable effect, then Spiritualized fuzzed it up during the buildup and went grandiose strings for the finale...still don't know which one I prefer.

I think Elvis even took a crack at it, but I haven't heard his take...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:27 am

KCBC - Thread Bumper. Plague Slayer.

The best cover ever is not even made yet, it is my dream cover - it involves Bjork going back in time, killing Gordon Gano and becoming the lead singer for the Violent Femmes - Her vocals on "Gone, Daddy Gone" are mind blowing, in my mind.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Orcus on Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:00 am

For me one of my fave remake's is Krokus' BallRoom Blitz. The worse remake of Sweet's BallRoom Blitz, has to go to Tia Carrere.

All in all the drumline in Sweet's original can't be beat
"Where's you're God noooooow???!!"
Orcus
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Nordling on Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:20 am

What? You don't like that catraping scream she throws in there that manages to hit all notes and no notes at the same time?

You just don't know art, man.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Orcus on Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:43 am

God she sounded like someone kicking a bag of cats, and mind you I've been listening to metal/punk/whatever for 20+ years. 8)
"Where's you're God noooooow???!!"
Orcus
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Maui on Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:33 pm

Smooth Criminal by Alien Ant Farm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxeNZOLNh4c
Maui
WoWie

Postby PF Moon Deux on Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:54 pm

Uhm. Has anyone brought up Devo's "(CAN'T GET NO) SATISFACTION"?

Mothersbaugh upstages Jagger. COMPLETELY.
PF Moon Deux

Postby PF Moon Deux on Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:30 pm

The Breeders take on "HAPPINESS IS A WARM GUN"?

DEAL IS TEH SEX!!1!
PF Moon Deux

Postby DennisMM on Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:51 pm

If you used the search function you wouldn't have to ask. ;) You could simply shout out your agreement or feign numbness at no one having praised such great tracks.

on February 07, 2006, ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:Devo -- "Satisfaction" (Rolling Stones)

The Devo cover version pwns the original by both making it a totally hilarious and robotic anti-cover cover song which not only makes fun of the idea of Official Rock Rebellion (TM), but makes you want to dance like a robot strung out on cough syrup and JR Bob Dobbs -- pulling thee wool over thine own eyes... so to speak...

Proof, right here, that before ZZS got hooked on Mel Gibson he brought great insight to the Zone.
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Maui on Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:06 am

Purple Haze - Ozzy Osbourne on vocals, Kravitz on guitar.
Maui
WoWie

PreviousNext

Return to Music