OFFICIAL Grammys Thread

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

OFFICIAL Grammys Thread

Postby docfalken on Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:48 am

I've said it once and I'll say it again. Nothing. I mean nothing says "New Orleans" music like Elvis Costello, The Edge and Bruce Springsteen. I guess Bjork wasn't available.

Kelly Clarkson had the best album of 2005. Ask anyone.

John Legend's "Ordinary People" won because it was accessible for the less than hip hop soul savvy voters of the Academy.

What happened to the big chick in the Sugarland video? Did they just jettison her as soon as their album cracked the top ten? How long until the mandolin playing Gomer gets the boot? Maybe Lance Bass could talk to him and let him know what to expect.

Gorillaz and Madonna thing was actually cool.

There was a reason why Sly Stone hasn't been seen for 20 years. He totally dicked all of the music stars and left them to finish his song while he ran for the next shuttle to Pluto. They should have just let Will I Am do all of their hits alone.

Ummmmm .... Ciara needs to wear Robert Palmer black dresses more often.

Man, I thought Brocktune would have run with the ball on this thread.
docfalken
HAGGIS?!?!!?!!?!

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:56 am

LOL, I almost started a thread on this at exactly the same time you did, Doc. I screwed up the link to the story so I deleted the thread really quickly...

grammy story
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Flumm on Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:59 am

I clicked on it, only to get the message "This post does not exist"

I have expected strange lights to start flashing, and the X files themetune to kick in.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: OFFICIAL 2006 Grammys Thread

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:10 am

docfalken wrote:I've said it once and I'll say it again. Nothing. I mean nothing says "New Orleans" music like Elvis Costello, The Edge and Bruce Springsteen. I guess Bjork wasn't available.

i...lash.

So U2 cleaned up, huh?

Poor Mariah, finally gets another grammy after a 16 year drought, but in the "oh, nice to have you back" categories.

The Grammy's are as fucked up as the Emmy's. Read the Pazz and Jop, at least those critics ain't on nobody's payroll (well, not all of them, at any rate).
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:19 am

Saw the Gorillaz/Madonna thing on Yahoo - looked impressive..... but then the Gorillaz bit was over and all that was left was a mid-40's wannabe Brit whose new idea of sexy just isn't.

Sly - Did he really leave in the middle of the song? That sucks. He needs to find his funk again and hit the studio one last time since he obviously can't handle playing in public anymore.

Cocaine is a hell of a drug!
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby MiltonWaddams on Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:49 am

JESUS CHRIST, GIVE IT UP.
Urer yvrf Z.J.
Xvyyrq ol ungr naq vafvqr wbxrf.
MiltonWaddams
REAL DRAGON

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:03 am

i'd hit it.

she would have to wash first, like decontamination from Silkwood wash, and I'd take the First Blood fire hosing (with some strong soap) afterwards, but I'd still hit it.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:10 am

You can watch the Gorillaz/Madonna performance here.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Shane on Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:57 am

MiltonWaddams wrote:Image

JESUS CHRIST, GIVE IT UP.

that looks so rediculious I don't see who thought it would be cool.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby docfalken on Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:26 pm

As a red blooded American male, I'm always down with a woman who is in incredible shape and decides that exercise gear should be worn out in public places.

Even the ABBA hook gets me going. And grooving. I mean my house turned into Studio 54 last night with the bass pumping and all of us dancing in front of the TV.

I was a little bummed by that poor lip sync of the cartoon Gorillaz, but I thought that Madonna came in with a neutron bomb worth of enery and lit the place up.
docfalken
HAGGIS?!?!!?!!?!

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:09 pm

Am I the only one who was happy Kanye West lost Album of the Year? I meant, shit, I like the guy's music (although some lyrical content is questionable--"And I know the government administered AIDS", WTF?), but he takes winning Grammys WAAAAAAAAAAAAY too seriously. Moreover, every time I've seen him in an interview, he's come off as an arrogant Struggling Background Artist. I was mighty happy to see him get knocked down a peg or two.

And, y'know, U2 deserved it.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:17 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:Am I the only one who was happy Kanye West lost Album of the Year? I meant, shit, I like the guy's music (although some lyrical content is questionable--"And I know the government administered AIDS", WTF?), but he takes winning Grammys WAAAAAAAAAAAAY too seriously. Moreover, every time I've seen him in an interview, he's come off as an arrogant Struggling Background Artist. I was mighty happy to see him get knocked down a peg or two.

And, y'know, U2 deserved it.

ya - the problem with Kanye is that he is talented - and he knows it - and he wants everybody to know that he knows it... too bad most of the time he comes off like an arrogant d00ch...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby jgraphix on Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:18 pm

The Grammy's sucked...the winners sucked..usual supsects...YAAWN
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:27 pm

havocSchultz wrote:ya - the problem with Kanye is that he is talented - and he knows it - and he wants everybody to know that he knows it... too bad most of the time he comes off like an arrogant d00ch...

He reminds me of Christina Aguilera from, like, five years back. Everybody in every interview with her was all about telling her how much talent she has (obviously in comparion to Britney), so when she would sing she would ALWAYS show off by doing a million runs and such.

Kanye is his own hype man, and someone needs to tell him that's tacky. For a man who professes to have so much style, he desperately needs to learn some class.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:29 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:
havocSchultz wrote:ya - the problem with Kanye is that he is talented - and he knows it - and he wants everybody to know that he knows it... too bad most of the time he comes off like an arrogant d00ch...

He reminds me of Christina Aguilera from, like, five years back. Everybody in every interview with her was all about telling her how much talent she has (obviously in comparion to Britney), so when she would sing she would ALWAYS show off by doing a million runs and such.

Kanye is his own hype man, and someone needs to tell him that's tacky. For a man who professes to have so much style, he desperately needs to learn some class.

well - at least he's got Jamie Foxx pimpin him all over the place too...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:38 pm

havocSchultz wrote:well - at least he's got Jamie Foxx pimpin him all over the place too...

LOL...yeah.

I went to a tribute to Stevie Wonder a few months back called Grammy Jam--put on by the Recording Academy and the Entertainment Industry Foundation--and they had a million performances by folks, one of whom was Jamie Foxx. I'll tell you, the man's voice wasn't spectacular, but he is just a given performer. Even last night, I don't think he and Kanye sounded all that great, but they had tremendous, undeniable energy.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:40 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:
but they had tremendous, undeniable energy.

in a brokeback grammy sort of way... :wink:
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby docfalken on Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:15 pm

I'm going to get Kanye's back on this one. (Like you didn't see that one coming) He's a really talented producer, a mediocre rapper, but a grade A entertainer. I love the energy he is able to muster and I really enjoy his arrogance. Kind of a Jimmy Hart meets Andy Warhol kinda way.

Even having him as a complete opposite of the sincere and surprised Kelly Clarkson leaves me happy for both of them.

I was disappointed in Bono's acceptance speech though. Nothing really worldly to protest or talk about today.
docfalken
HAGGIS?!?!!?!!?!

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:39 pm

docfalken wrote:I was disappointed in Bono's acceptance speech though. Nothing really worldly to protest or talk about today.

I love me my Sizzler.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby JabberJaw on Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:04 pm

I love Sly and the Family Stone....wow that was weird when he come slinking out on stage. It was priceless when he left in the middle of the song. Everyone was freaked out.

Steven Tyler and Joe Perry actually showed up late to a show to "perform" with Sly. Bet they were thrilled.

Sly Makes Michael Jackson look like a piker
ImageImage
JabberJaw
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:07 pm

JabberJaw wrote:Steven Tyler and Joe Perry actually showed up late to a show to "perform" with Sly. Bet they were thrilled.

which then caused those fucks to be over an hour late to their show in Oakland that night.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby JabberJaw on Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:12 pm

keepcoolbutcare wrote:
JabberJaw wrote:Steven Tyler and Joe Perry actually showed up late to a show to "perform" with Sly. Bet they were thrilled.

which then caused those fucks to be over an hour late to their show in Oakland that night.

Yep.

I cant believe they didnt go into that with caution. Sly is famous for pulling shit like that
ImageImage
JabberJaw
MONKEY BUTLER

Re: OFFICIAL Grammys Thread

Postby so sorry on Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:55 am

So, uh, the Grammy's were on last night...anybody take a peek? Any Daft Punk fans out there excited about their big night?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Peven on Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:26 am

I saw a promo yesterday afternoon for them and actually thought to myself how much things have changed in my perspective since I could care less about the Grammys these days, wondered if it was just me getting old or if the Grammys have become a noticeably lesser pop culture event than they were in my younger days.

and just for clarity, I am aware of the music up for awards as much as I was 20 years ago, I own various tracks from a number of this year's nominees and winners, so it isn't as if I am just old and out of touch, I just can't work up the enthusiasm or interest for awards shows

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby so sorry on Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:35 am

Peven wrote:I saw a promo yesterday afternoon for them and actually thought to myself how much things have changed in my perspective since I could care less about the Grammys these days, wondered if it was just me getting old or if the Grammys have become a noticeably lesser pop culture event than they were in my younger days.

and just for clarity, I am aware of the music up for awards as much as I was 20 years ago, I own various tracks from a number of this year's nominees and winners, so it isn't as if I am just old and out of touch, I just can't work up the enthusiasm or interest for awards shows

Oddly enough there were a decent amount of "older" acts last night. Ozzy and Black Sabbath, Chicago (with that knucklehead Robbin Seaver), Ringo Starr and Paul McCartney. And I'm sure they were all treated with the same amount of respect from the TV viewing audience: great bathroom break material!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Re: OFFICIAL Grammys Are Evil Thread

Postby TheButcher on Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:51 am

The 2014 Grammy Awards: Still Pushing the Illuminati Agenda
The 2014 Grammy Awards featured a black magic witchcraft ritual disguised as a Katy Perry performance. Surprised? You shouldn’t be. This has been going on for years. We’ll look at the Illuminati Agenda pushed in the 2014 Grammy Awards.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:59 am

TheButcher wrote:The 2014 Grammy Awards: Still Pushing the Illuminati Agenda
The 2014 Grammy Awards featured a black magic witchcraft ritual disguised as a Katy Perry performance. Surprised? You shouldn’t be. This has been going on for years. We’ll look at the Illuminati Agenda pushed in the 2014 Grammy Awards.

the Illuminati are supposedly a worldwide cult that secretly controls society across the world. if the conspiracy theorists are to be believed, they are the most powerfuld and diabolical organization in the history of mankind.

so why would they advertise on a show nobody watches?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheButcher on Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:03 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
TheButcher wrote:The 2014 Grammy Awards: Still Pushing the Illuminati Agenda

the Illuminati are supposedly a worldwide cult that secretly controls society across the world. if the conspiracy theorists are to be believed, they are the most powerfuld and diabolical organization in the history of mankind.

so why would they advertise on a show nobody watches?

That's a secret that can only be revealed to members of the Illuminati :wink:
The first rule of the Illuminati is: You do not talk about the Illuminati.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:37 am

"GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY" SOUNDTRACK RECEIVES GRAMMY NOMINATION

Beyonce Passes Dolly Parton to Become Most Grammy-Nominated Woman
After 40 plus years I can name about all of Dolly's song, but for the love of life, I couldn't think of one Beyoncé song.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:28 pm

TheButcher wrote:"GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY" SOUNDTRACK RECEIVES GRAMMY NOMINATION

Beyonce Passes Dolly Parton to Become Most Grammy-Nominated Woman
After 40 plus years I can name about all of Dolly's song, but for the love of life, I couldn't think of one Beyoncé song.

that tells more about your musical taste than it does about their music. i can name two Dolly songs: 9 to 5 and I Will Always Love You, and the only reason i know that one is because of the whitney houston movie. i can name a lot more Beyonce songs, Single Ladies, Halo, Crazy in Love, that's already more than Dolly. and i'm not a fan of either, but unless you've got your head in the sand, you've heard plenty of (some would say too many) Beyonce songs over the past 10 years.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:52 pm

Beyoncé will have to star in either the remake of RHINESTONE or THE BEST LITTLE WHOREHOUSE IN TEXAS to fully eclipse Dolly.

But honestly, I like both singers. They're in very different genres and hard to compare.

Even without Beyoncé's Destiny's Child stuff, her solo career still has enough material to fill a respectable greatest hits album and she's far from done, so it's hard to call her a flash in the pan or say that she hasn't earned her status.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Fievel on Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:17 pm

Just when I would have called Adele's performance the best Grammy's performance........ Metallica with Lady Gaga happens.
Holy shit that was amazing!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Metallica sounded fantastic (minus the dead mic), and Gaga's voice was a great addition. I want an album.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:04 am

it was nice of Mel Gibson to loan Lars his beard.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fievel on Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:45 am

I thought he looked like Bill Murray in The Life Aquatic.... and actually hated him less for it.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Ribbons on Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:57 pm

Shit, I skipped the Grammys this year. It's the one awards show that's usually reliable for the great live performances
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby so sorry on Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:11 pm

Yeah I don't watch the Grammy's either...my musical tastes are firmly stuck in the past. And the pre-show red carpet shit (that my wife watches) just drives me fucking insane.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fievel on Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:49 pm

I'm too lazy to get links, but the performances are out there.
Bruno Mars and The Time were great, too (Prince tribute). I had NO idea he could play guitar.... and he was really good, too! :shock:
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Return to Music