Completely Unnecessary Covers

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Postby Kilgore on Sun May 28, 2006 9:28 pm

I should have expected your agreeance, Keepcool. A finer strainer of 'all things assinine' would be hard to find on this Zone we call our dwelling.


Plus, WTF is with Axl's hair now? Have you seen it lately? Cornrows? And, I think, a weave?

Dude, you're white trash from Indiana. That doesn't mix with 'weave', y'know?
Kilgore
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 1051
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:33 pm

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Mon May 29, 2006 12:10 pm

Kilgore wrote:

Plus, WTF is with Axl's hair now? Have you seen it lately? Cornrows? And, I think, a weave?



Didn't you know the real reason for Axl's prolonged absence from the music scene? A desperate and futile search to find a miracle cure for the impending slap-headititus that had began to inflict him several years ago. As the hairline receded thus, Axl grew more and more insane, stuffing his face with doughnuts and slapping vinegar on his thinning crown to thwart the daily loss. Throughout the 'lost' years, Axl scoured all four corners of the globe to find an answer, ANY answer to the question: CAN SOMEONE GIVE ME BACK MY LOCKS?? But time and baldness wait for no man, not even a rock God like Axl - and now we have the inevitable outcome; a wig that looks even worse than Elton John's.
Never mind, Axl. Slash still rocks, huh?
User avatar
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 1369
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:55 pm

Postby Seppuku on Mon May 29, 2006 12:19 pm

HollywoodBabylon wrote:Didn't you know the real reason for Axl's prolonged absence from the music scene? A desperate and futile search to find a miracle cure for the impending slap-headititus that had began to inflict him several years ago. As the hairline receded thus, Axl grew more and more insane, stuffing his face with doughnuts and slapping vinegar on his thinning crown to thwart the daily loss. Throughout the 'lost' years, Axl scoured all four corners of the globe to find an answer, ANY answer to the question: CAN SOMEONE GIVE ME BACK MY LOCKS?? But time and baldness wait for no man, not even a rock God like Axl - and now we have the inevitable outcome; a wig that looks even worse than Elton John's.
Never mind, Axl. Slash still rocks, huh?


IPAMPILASH. Thing is, if he didn't play about with his "hair" so much, chances are he'd look very much like Bill Bailey today.

They call it Hair Metal for a reason, without his hair Axl's just a mere husk of his former self.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Image
User avatar
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION
 
Posts: 7872
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:52 am
Location: Limeyland

Postby Vegeta on Mon May 29, 2006 12:20 pm

Gun's and Roses are pretty much a joke now. Their "live" cover of "Knocking on Heaven's Door" is not only terrible with Axl's Hey, Hey, Hey, yahhh, yahhh, yahhh's, it's a fucking afront upon mankind. :evil:
User avatar
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY
 
Posts: 6274
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:22 am
Location: U.S.S.A.

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Mon May 29, 2006 12:36 pm

I can't believe nobody brought this up, but the absolute worst, WORST
cover of all times goes so much further than raping a song; it rapes
an entire album and group; going so far as to MAKE A MOVIE featuring
the cover band playing the band it covers in what has got to be
the worst movie ever made. (Yes, even worse than Domino; a
movie which made me feel mentally ill) and it is...

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band featuring *gag*The Bee Gees*choke* and *puke*Peter Frampton*spew*

This... thing... is quite possibly the worst musical travesty of all times.
I think the reason why Steve Martin remains in maddening second place
to Bill Murray as the "comic actor gets indie cred and rejuvanates career"
is because he stars in this film. After doing that, willingly, his karma
must be so effed up he'll never ever get the respect he may feel he
deserves for writing that book about wanting to sleep with a sexy 20
something department store clerk.

For those of you who have never been subjected to this movie, I highly
reccomend you do it; if only because it is the film and music lovers
equivalent to getting tricked into opening the Hellraiser box.

Better yet, if you are a hardcore BEATLES fan, watching this film is
the equivalent of being Alex in A CLOCKWORK ORANGE; helpless,
powerless as his beloved Beethoven's 9th is aesthetically raped over
and over again...

Rent and view at your peril. Prepare to laugh with ironic distance until
you want to vomit with rage.
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2467
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:28 pm

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Mon May 29, 2006 12:45 pm

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:I can't believe nobody brought this up, but the absolute worst, WORST
cover of all times goes so much further than raping a song; it rapes
an entire album and group; going so far as to MAKE A MOVIE featuring
the cover band playing the band it covers in what has got to be
the worst movie ever made. (Yes, even worse than Domino; a
movie which made me feel mentally ill) and it is...

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band featuring *gag*The Bee Gees*choke* and *puke*Peter Frampton*spew*

This... thing... is quite possibly the worst musical travesty of all times.
I think the reason why Steve Martin remains in maddening second place
to Bill Murray as the "comic actor gets indie cred and rejuvanates career"
is because he stars in this film. After doing that, willingly, his karma
must be so effed up he'll never ever get the respect he may feel he
deserves for writing that book about wanting to sleep with a sexy 20
something department store clerk.

For those of you who have never been subjected to this movie, I highly
reccomend you do it; if only because it is the film and music lovers
equivalent to getting tricked into opening the Hellraiser box.

Better yet, if you are a hardcore BEATLES fan, watching this film is
the equivalent of being Alex in A CLOCKWORK ORANGE; helpless,
powerless as his beloved Beethoven's 9th is aesthetically raped over
and over again...

Rent and view at your peril. Prepare to laugh with ironic distance until
you want to vomit with rage.



Thank God they never got their hands on The White Album which was, of course, a DOUBLE album.........we'd be talking a massacre of apocalyptic proportions........ :twisted:
User avatar
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 1369
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:55 pm

Postby Flumm on Mon May 29, 2006 1:05 pm

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:I can't believe nobody brought this up, but the absolute worst, WORST
cover of all times goes so much further than raping a song; it rapes
an entire album and group; going so far as to MAKE A MOVIE featuring
the cover band playing the band it covers in what has got to be
the worst movie ever made. (Yes, even worse than Domino; a
movie which made me feel mentally ill) and it is...

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band featuring *gag*The Bee Gees*choke* and *puke*Peter Frampton*spew*

This... thing... is quite possibly the worst musical travesty of all times.
I think the reason why Steve Martin remains in maddening second place
to Bill Murray as the "comic actor gets indie cred and rejuvanates career"
is because he stars in this film. After doing that, willingly, his karma
must be so effed up he'll never ever get the respect he may feel he
deserves for writing that book about wanting to sleep with a sexy 20
something department store clerk.

For those of you who have never been subjected to this movie, I highly
reccomend you do it; if only because it is the film and music lovers
equivalent to getting tricked into opening the Hellraiser box.

Better yet, if you are a hardcore BEATLES fan, watching this film is
the equivalent of being Alex in A CLOCKWORK ORANGE; helpless,
powerless as his beloved Beethoven's 9th is aesthetically raped over
and over again...

Rent and view at your peril. Prepare to laugh with ironic distance until
you want to vomit with rage.


:shock:

Oh ZZS... in the space of one prophetic post, you have laboured me with a source so intoxicatingly compelling, of sheer magnetic doom so potent, it seems you that you have condemned me to a fate I cannot escape... and yet at once, I cannot be angry at you, for in your cranial fluid splattered innocence, you have bestowed apon me a great gift. With your words you engraved my tombstone and therefore broke an endless horizon of ignorance, a blackly pychadelic dawn to break the quenchless panarama of futility and fumbling blindness that is existance - you illuminated me to my own demise.

Thank you.
User avatar
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 5601
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:31 pm
Location: Yesteryonder

Postby saucyminx on Mon May 29, 2006 1:14 pm

Westlife's cover on Sarah McLachlan's "Angel" totally ruined it for me. I wanted to strangle each and every one of them when the video came out.

Boybands. Urgh!
Image

Mona Sax: Relax, Max. You're a nice guy. I don't kill nice guys.
Max Payne: You're not bad yourself.
User avatar
saucyminx
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD
 
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:40 pm
Location: here on earth

Postby Coldfire24 on Mon May 29, 2006 1:18 pm

OK i'm sitting here looking at my brother's All-American Rejects- Move Along. I'm going to say i'm quite dissapointed. Its basically a black and white picture of the band with a white background...it just feels arrogant.
Image
Image
User avatar
Coldfire24
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 1566
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:26 am
Location: Mississippi State University...its not so bad

Postby Seppuku on Mon May 29, 2006 1:25 pm

I think I fit into the category of "hardcore beatles fan" (I dares ya to hit me with any line from one of their songs and I'll tell you where it comes from), and I really love Peter Frampton's Sgt Peppers. It's the funnest thing in the world watching all these "rock" stars losing themselves up their own backsides. And I don't know if Zombie noticed, but Paul and George actually make liitle heavily-bearded cameos near the end. My theory is that the Beatles had their hand in the production, making sure it'd be the most inept, terrible and, worst of all, earnest movie ever, thus permanently denting The Beatles' reputation and putting a stop to all those "hey, when are you guys gonna get back together" questions.

And you're still not over that Domino experience are you Zombie? I remember before it came out you were really excited, and I told you it was gonna be a Tony Scott migraine fest, but did you believe me? Nope, you said you had to "see for myself".
Dale Tremont Presents...

Image
User avatar
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION
 
Posts: 7872
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:52 am
Location: Limeyland

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Mon May 29, 2006 2:28 pm

Flumm wrote:
ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:I can't believe nobody brought this up, but the absolute worst, WORST
cover of all times goes so much further than raping a song; it rapes
an entire album and group; going so far as to MAKE A MOVIE featuring
the cover band playing the band it covers in what has got to be
the worst movie ever made. (Yes, even worse than Domino; a
movie which made me feel mentally ill) and it is...

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band featuring *gag*The Bee Gees*choke* and *puke*Peter Frampton*spew*

This... thing... is quite possibly the worst musical travesty of all times.
I think the reason why Steve Martin remains in maddening second place
to Bill Murray as the "comic actor gets indie cred and rejuvanates career"
is because he stars in this film. After doing that, willingly, his karma
must be so effed up he'll never ever get the respect he may feel he
deserves for writing that book about wanting to sleep with a sexy 20
something department store clerk.

For those of you who have never been subjected to this movie, I highly
reccomend you do it; if only because it is the film and music lovers
equivalent to getting tricked into opening the Hellraiser box.

Better yet, if you are a hardcore BEATLES fan, watching this film is
the equivalent of being Alex in A CLOCKWORK ORANGE; helpless,
powerless as his beloved Beethoven's 9th is aesthetically raped over
and over again...

Rent and view at your peril. Prepare to laugh with ironic distance until
you want to vomit with rage.


:shock:

Oh ZZS... in the space of one prophetic post, you have laboured me with a source so intoxicatingly compelling, of sheer magnetic doom so potent, it seems you that you have condemned me to a fate I cannot escape... and yet at once, I cannot be angry at you, for in your cranial fluid splattered innocence, you have bestowed apon me a great gift. With your words you engraved my tombstone and therefore broke an endless horizon of ignorance, a blackly pychadelic dawn to break the quenchless panarama of futility and fumbling blindness that is existance - you illuminated me to my own demise.

Thank you.


Ha ha! Happy to oblige. Just remember, when you find yourself laughing
to the point of having a heart attack and vomitting with rage,
remember, that I cautioned you to view at your own risk...
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2467
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:28 pm

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Mon May 29, 2006 2:36 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:And you're still not over that Domino experience are you Zombie? I remember before it came out you were really excited, and I told you it was gonna be a Tony Scott migraine fest, but did you believe me? Nope, you said you had to "see for myself".


Oh man, do I remember. And you were so right. I mean, I really thought
it looked like this insane goofball exploitation movie like BEYOND THE
VALLEY OF THE DOLLS, but with guns, and it was just.... god... I don't
think I can even put it into words. I mean, its so bad, so pointless, so
vapid, so tasteless and empty and humorless and off that I seriously found
myself questioning my sanity. I mean, they must have spent millions on
that thing! MILLIONS! They may as well have set that money on fire after
pooping on it.

Man, I'm surprised you liked the SGT. PEPPERS movie, especially
considering you're a hardcore BEATLES fan. I'm more of a casual fan
of their music, but I recognize their genius and respect it; I felt like that
movie was tantamount to peeing on the master tapes and/or shooting
John Lennon instead of Paul McCartney.
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2467
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:28 pm

Postby Seppuku on Mon May 29, 2006 2:45 pm

I'll admit, I saw Domino in the cinema too, and the mescaline I took beforehand really didn't help, it just means that one day when I'm paying for toilet paper at the counter, I'll suddenly start screaming at the top of my lungs because I'm flashing back to that horrible experience. I think of it as being my generation's 'nam.

As far as SGT PEPPERS is concerned, it does make me feel a bit queasy in the way only the worst movies can. I guess I like it for two reasons:

1) Even the worst possible thing to do with the Beatles is still Beatles-related, you know. I mean, I even gave The Rutles 2 a watch for that reason. Don't get me wrong, I really don't think this is a good movie at all, but I'll watch it every year or two all the same.

2) Sometimes you need to watch foul stinking celluloid cow-dung to keep up your perspective.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Image
User avatar
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION
 
Posts: 7872
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:52 am
Location: Limeyland

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:10 pm

Just heard 'Iris' by the goo goo dolls being sang by... Ronan Keating. fuck.
User avatar
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2433
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:31 am

Postby austenandrews on Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:18 pm

That whole CD of covers that Tori Amos did.
User avatar
austenandrews
SUSAN CAGLE
 
Posts: 737
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:45 pm
Location: Austin, Texas

Postby wonkabar on Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:24 pm

Um, Six Pence None the Richer and Jessica Simpson need to be executed in a public place for their many blaphemies.
Image
User avatar
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF
 
Posts: 6220
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:41 pm
Location: The Double Douche

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:28 pm

The sugababes cover of 'rocks' by Primal scream, Louise Nurding's cover of 'Stuck in the middle' and the Daniel Beddingfield cover of 'Rock and Roll star' by Oasis. Shitting crikey.
User avatar
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2433
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:31 am

Postby wonkabar on Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:38 pm

Image
User avatar
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF
 
Posts: 6220
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:41 pm
Location: The Double Douche

Postby Vicarious on Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:41 pm

Anyone curious to hear what is easily the worst cover of all time needs to seek out Maroon 5 coverning NIN's "Closer." Now, I'm not a big fan of the original, but it is what it is. Hearing Maroon 5 try it however, is laughter inducing. I still can't believe they even tried. They also have a horrible, horrible cover of "Highway to Hell" if I remember correctly.
Eye on the TV, 'cause tragedy thrills me...
Image
User avatar
Vicarious
MONKEY BUTLER
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:12 pm

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:46 pm

Wonkabar - That's a shocker.
User avatar
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2433
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:31 am

Postby wonkabar on Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:48 pm

thebostonlocksmith wrote:Wonkabar - That's a shocker.

Try this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxAzwNFsKJY
Image
User avatar
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF
 
Posts: 6220
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:41 pm
Location: The Double Douche

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:50 pm

Now, stop putting that shit in my ears...
User avatar
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2433
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:31 am

Postby DennisMM on Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:55 pm



C'mon, wonk, you can do better. that's just one moment of the party!

Golden Throats: The Great Celebrity Sing-Off from Rhino

1. Proud Mary - Leonard Nimoy
2. It Ain't Me, Babe - Sebastian Cabot
3. Blowin' In The Wind - Eddie Albert
4. Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds - William Shatner
5. Whiter Shade Of Pale, A - Noel Harrison
6. I Can See For Miles - Frankie Randall
7. Try A Little Tenderness - Jack Webb
8. Twist And Shout - Mae West
9. House Of The Rising Sun - Andy Griffith
10. Mr. Tambourine Man - William Shatner
11. You Are The Sunshine of My Life - Jim Nabors
12. Like A Rolling Stone - Sebastian Cabot
13. White Room - Joel Grey
14. If I Had A Hammer - Leonard Nimoy

With multi-format samples!
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING
 
Posts: 16808
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: Watchin' the reels go 'round and 'round

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:56 pm

Shatner 'breaks' Beatles record


William Shatner:
Former Star Trek actor William Shatner's version of Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds has been voted the worst Beatles cover of all time.

He beat Pinky and Perky, who did a version of All My Loving, and Pop Idol stars Will Young and Gareth Gates with The Long And Winding Road.

Viewers voted in a poll for digital TV channel Music Choice to mark the 40th anniversary of the Beatles' first number one, From Me To You, this week.

WORST BEATLES COVER
William Shatner - Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds

Shatner - better-known as Captain Kirk in Star Trek - released an album in 1968 featuring renditions of Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds, Mr Tambourine Man and Romeo and Juliet.

Well i guess that makes it definitive. That's from the BBC.

Now, does anyone remember 'Lolly's' cover of 'Hey Micky' ????????
User avatar
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2433
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:31 am

Postby Theta on Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:09 pm

austenandrews wrote:That whole CD of covers that Tori Amos did.


My fiancee is a huge Amos fan and IMO, about half that album was better than the originals. I will agree that it was a little too obviously slapped together (a lot of the songs use the same instruments, for example), since Amos did it to get out of a contract.

On the other hand, her cover of "I'm Not In Love" makes it actually worth listening to; she brings out the desperation and menace the original arrangement was too chickenshit to find in the lyrics. And I actually vastly prefer her "Heart of Gold" to Neil Young's original. Also, you have to love any musician willing to put the shits up her audience by covering "'97 Bonnie and Clyde."

She's actually generally quite good with covers (ironically I prefer her live covers to her own material live, as a general rule.) Especially with '80s songs, for some reason.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
User avatar
Theta
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2343
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:57 am
Location: Boston, MA

Postby King Psyz on Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:10 pm

I like Sgt Peppers movie... God now I feel so ashamed.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?
 
Posts: 4906
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:11 pm
Location: anywhere but here

Postby wonkabar on Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:24 pm

King Psyz wrote:I like Sgt Peppers movie... God now I feel so ashamed.

You're not alone....I have it on DVD
Image
User avatar
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF
 
Posts: 6220
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:41 pm
Location: The Double Douche

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:31 pm

Just because I own it doesn't mean it's not bad. It's a bit like Herpes in that respect...
Last edited by thebostonlocksmith on Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2433
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:31 am

Postby DennisMM on Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:31 pm

Steve Martin kills me, especially as a warm-up to Little Shop of Horrors. The rest is puke.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING
 
Posts: 16808
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: Watchin' the reels go 'round and 'round

Postby King Psyz on Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:35 pm

wonkabar wrote:
King Psyz wrote:I like Sgt Peppers movie... God now I feel so ashamed.

You're not alone....I have it on DVD

I would but nobody ever has it in stock...
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?
 
Posts: 4906
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:11 pm
Location: anywhere but here

Postby wonkabar on Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:36 pm

thebostonlocksmith wrote:Just because I own it doesn't mean it's not bad. It's a bit like Herpes in that respect...

There's nothing quite like watching Aerosmith get killed by The Bee-Jees
Image
User avatar
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF
 
Posts: 6220
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:41 pm
Location: The Double Douche

Postby King Psyz on Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:37 pm

The first time I saw it I thought Alice Cooper was Frank Zappa...
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?
 
Posts: 4906
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:11 pm
Location: anywhere but here

Postby wonkabar on Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:39 pm

Sadly, it was my introduction to The Beatles
Image
User avatar
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF
 
Posts: 6220
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:41 pm
Location: The Double Douche

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:48 pm

Is it a coincidence that it was directed by Owen Roizmen, director of the exorcist. it was also the most expensive musical of all time (at the time) with a budget of just over $60 million. Does it make it worse that i've bothered my arse to find that shit out? i'm thinking, yes.
User avatar
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2433
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:31 am

Postby wonkabar on Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:51 pm

60 mil?...I wonder if adjusted for inflation it's still the most expensive musical....
Image
User avatar
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF
 
Posts: 6220
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:41 pm
Location: The Double Douche

Postby DennisMM on Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:52 pm

Um, it was directed by Michael Schultz. Owen Roizman was Director of Photography on Sgt. Pepper's and The Exorcist.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING
 
Posts: 16808
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: Watchin' the reels go 'round and 'round

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:58 pm

Apparently the answer is YES. I used the CPI Inflation calculator on the NASA site (i'm sure they would be proud of giving something back to the little people) and it would now stand at $173,820,000 !!!!!

Consider that the abundantly terrible 'Phantom of the opera' cost $70 Million. That's a truely staggering flop....
User avatar
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2433
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:31 am

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:59 pm

I stand corrected...
User avatar
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2433
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:31 am

Postby wonkabar on Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:03 pm

I would imagine in todays dollars it would be roughly double...so $120 million? Thanks for clearing that up Dennis. This is the great thing about the Zone....where else does one go for in-depth discussion of Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band?
Image
User avatar
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF
 
Posts: 6220
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:41 pm
Location: The Double Douche

Postby wonkabar on Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:06 pm

thebostonlocksmith wrote:Apparently the answer is YES. I used the CPI Inflation calculator on the NASA site (i'm sure they would be proud of giving something back to the little people) and it would now stand at $173,820,000 !!!!!

Consider that the abundantly terrible 'Phantom of the opera' cost $70 Million. That's a truely staggering flop....


Wow! You're on top of it! I bow to your NASA-Inflation-Calculator
Image
User avatar
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF
 
Posts: 6220
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:41 pm
Location: The Double Douche

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:06 pm

wonkabar wrote:where else does one go for in-depth discussion of Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band?

Maybe round Owen Roizmen's house... while he gently weeps...
User avatar
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2433
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:31 am

Postby wonkabar on Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:08 pm

He get's by with a little help from his friends
Image
User avatar
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF
 
Posts: 6220
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:41 pm
Location: The Double Douche

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:12 pm

Anyone with iTunes should look up "When Pigs Fly" in the Music Store. It's got the weirdest set of covers I think I've ever seen. The opening track is Ani DiFranco and Jackie Chan(!) doing a duet. If I had more iTunes bucks I would buy a couple of songs just to hear how weird they sound, but I'm not sure I want to waste my credits on what's essentially a novelty.
User avatar
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG
 
Posts: 13979
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:00 am

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:15 pm

..All he need's is love...
User avatar
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2433
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:31 am

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:17 pm

Well, if your talking about duets there was a particularly nasty song by Sam Cooke and Mohammed Ali, i can't remember the title though...
User avatar
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2433
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:31 am

Postby sleepflower on Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:54 pm

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:
seppukudkurosawa wrote:She was in The All-Saints right? That reminds me of another pointless/bizarre cover that they did of Under The Bridge...I guess nobody told them this song was about Keadis smacking-up err Under The Bridge.


Nah, she was in Eternal, so a bit earlier than that. But your point is well made - all of All Saints' covers were shite. As were their other songs. Didn't they do Lady Marmalade too?

Frickin Deutschbags....


I much prefer All saints version to the original.

I think anything by that Pseudo jazz muppet Jamie Cullum is awful.

Oh and fell in love with a boy done by Joss Stone. I almost spat in the face of an HMV employee while ranting about that a it played in store....

'oh, it's a cover.. who by?'
The Noblest Pleasure is The Joy of Understanding
sleepflower
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 1138
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:10 pm

Previous

Return to Music

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest