Coldplay

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Coldplay is back...

Viva la Coldplay!
27%
Muere la Coldplay!
27%
Meh la Coldplay!
18%
Viva la Cosplay!
27%

Total votes : 11

Coldplay

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:06 pm

Well, after winning Best Album at the Brits last night, Coldplay have announced that they are having a two year break after their tour ends this summer.

Some people might be jumping up and down with glee, some of you may be crying onto your suede loafers, I'm interested to know what The Zoners think, as I generally hear more sense talked inside this place than I do in The Negative Zone (i.e. The Real World).

Here's a link to the story, which contains lots of links to other Brits stories, so this is also a place to discuss the Brits in general, if you're not interested in Coldplay.

Prince's comeback, Madonna's harlotry, Kanye West's entourage - chat about it all here!
Last edited by ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:09 pm

You Brits may know better than I do, but: is this like a "break-up" thing, or is this just a "taking a break from music" thing? Also, my response would probably be somewhere in the middle. I like Coldplay well enough, but this news leaves me strangely indifferent.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Vegeta on Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:11 pm

I like Coldplay, however, I don't find this heartbreaking or anything. I imagine we'll be seeing solo albums or something
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:12 pm

whatever...doesn't matter - maybe now i can get some peace as opposed to girls at the bar saying to me - "Hey -you look like the dude from coldplay..."

uuggghhh...i don't really - except for maybe the kinda lankiness and dirty blond hair... but whatever works to get them to talk to me i guess.... and i think it's just a temporary retirement for the time being...taking a break - chris martin said something like "everyone" is sick of them - and they're sick of "everyone"... oh well... clocks was the bomb though...at least for the piano part...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:12 pm

According to them, and you must bear in mind that this was only announced a couple of hours ago, it's just because they feel they're becoming over-exposed, rather than they hate each other or something like that.

btw - new option added just for you Ribbons!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:14 pm

Well this just in for you TitG...I was listening to Chris Martin being interviewed yesterday morning by Chris Moyles..and he said live on air that the third album is already written in its entirety...music too, not just lyrics.

Perhaps he just meant touring? Can't imagine the studio will let them wait two years and run the risk of losing this momentum they've got going.

Or will there be a Greatest Hits during the interim. Man I hate that...Greatest Hits should take in a good three albums, minimum - surely?
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Vegeta on Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:17 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:Well this just in for you TitG...I was listening to Chris Martin being interviewed yesterday morning by Chris Moyles..and he said live on air that the third album is already written in its entirety...music too, not just lyrics.

Perhaps he just meant touring? Can't imagine the studio will let them wait two years and run the risk of losing this momentum they've got going.

Or will there be a Greatest Hits during the interim. Man I hate that...Greatest Hits should take in a good three albums, minimum - surely?

Doc, not to correct you, but Coldplay does have three albums: Parachutes, A Rush of Blood to the Head, and X&Y.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Ribbons on Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:17 pm

I don't even think they have enough singles for a Greatest Hits album. Counting off the top of my head, it's like... 9(?) songs? Of course, you could just do what other lazy bastards do and dump a couple of songs that were never released as singles on the album.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:17 pm

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:According to them, and you must bear in mind that this was only announced a couple of hours ago, it's just because they feel they're becoming over-exposed

and here I thought they were over-exposed when "Yellow" blew up...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:20 pm

keepcoolbutcare wrote:and here I thought they were over-exposed when "Yellow" blew up...

Yeah, but that was in a musicphile, "Are these the new kings of Brit rock?", subcultural kind of way, not a celbrity-phile, "What's Gwyneth gonna name her new baby?", pop cultural kind of way.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:21 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:Well this just in for you TitG...I was listening to Chris Martin being interviewed yesterday morning by Chris Moyles..and he said live on air that the third album is already written in its entirety...music too, not just lyrics.

I'm sure that's true - but this statement was made very recently, like an hour or two ago. So they say, they're gonna tour until June, then stop completely for two years. So presumably, this 3rd album will come out between now and then. Mind you, they've made enough cash for it not to really matter - depends what kind of contract they're on with their label.

For my part, I do agree that they're becoming over-exposed. X & Y wasn't quite as good as the first album, but it made the same amount of cash in like half the time, so it doesn't surprise me that Mr Martin is planning to disappear for a bit.

So…….that Kanye West, eh? He's a classy guy.

ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:23 pm

The Dino, he never did like a the "Yellow" song, eh? But I did really like a the "Clocks," anna "Inna My Place," anna "Speed of a the Sound," no?

The Dino, he thinks a the Chris Martin, he just a wanna to spend a some a more time with a his a wife anna the bambinos, no?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Ribbons on Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:25 pm

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:So…….that Kanye West, eh? He's a classy guy.

That is probably what Karl Marx sees in his nightmares.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:26 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:The Dino, he never did like a the "Yellow" song, eh? But I did really like a the "Clocks," anna "Inna My Place," anna "Speed of a the Sound," no?

The Dino, he thinks a the Chris Martin, he just a wanna to spend a some a more time with a his a wife anna the bambinos, no?

Yes, yes and yes. I never knew you had such a taste for Modern music, Dino!

I like the tunes you mentioned more than most of their other stuff, and I also found the whole Yellow-mania to be a bit odd....like KCBC said, I got so battered by radios repeatedly playing that song, that I can no longer see any merits there.

And Gwynnie's up the duff again, isn't she? That may have played a big part in this....
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:27 pm

i never thought they were the "new kings" of anything...well, maybe the king of "whiny bitches who's shitty video will make all young girls cream their pants 'cuz Chris Martin is SO earnest"...but I don't think that title is liege worthy...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:31 pm

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:And Gwynnie's up the duff again, isn't she? That may have played a big part in this....

Up the duff? You crazy Brits. Which reminds me: why does everyone keep spelling douchebag like deutschbag? Are there two different versions of the word depending on which country you hail from, or did you all just forget how the word was spelled or something?

I dug "Yellow" whenever it came on the radio because it sounded more pleasant than most of the stuff Top 40 stations play, but bugger all if it means anything. "Clocks" is probably Coldplay's best song in my opinion, although, again, that's a very subjective thing.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:32 pm

Balls. I meant fourth album. Kinda undermines anything I've got to say now.

It won't stop me.

Yup TitG - I hear ya. I just meant I'm sure its nothing terminal with regards them making a fifth and sixth album in years to come.

I think to actually be around, Chris Martin can be pretty irritating pretty quickly....very quick to take offense and very very defensive...but I love his music and have a lot of time for his principles. If he's taking two years out to be with family, I applaud and respect that...I think I pefer reading his interviews than listening to him in person though.

Don't care for his political popstar on the mic act though...I bet Blunt was thinking "You Gentleman" last night...way to make a situation worse not better Chris!

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:33 pm

keepcoolbutcare wrote:i never thought they were the "new kings" of anything...well, maybe the king of "whiny bitches who's shitty video will make all young girls cream their pants 'cuz Chris Martin is SO earnest"...but I don't think that title is liege worthy...

KeepCool, have I told you lately how special I think you are?
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:37 pm

Ribbons wrote:Which reminds me: why does everyone keep spelling douchebag like deutschbag?

I think it started one time when John-Locke and Havoc were touching dinks. I don't even know the origin of it, but just the sight of the word Deutschbag makes me grin, so I and some other people have kind of appropriated it. You'll have to ask JL for a better explanation though....
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chief Redcock on Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:37 pm

Their last album was quite pleasant, in its own way. If you accept the fact that they draw heavily from their influences, they can be very enjoyable
Chief Redcock
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby thomasgaffney on Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:40 pm

Chief Redcock wrote:If you accept the fact that they draw heavily from their influences

Huh?

So what? You want them to be influenced by classic rock, but do rap albums? Or maybe be influenced by other musicians and forego music-making for painting walls?
find me: twitter and goodreads
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Al Shut on Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:43 pm

Discussing the Brits in general outside the EFBR is hardly possible.

On the topic I think colplay make some good music and are not overexposed but maybe I'm just not listening enough radio.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:45 pm

Chief Redcock wrote:Their last album was quite pleasant, in its own way. If you accept the fact that they draw heavily from their influences, they can be very enjoyable

I gotta agree with that; there are some really good songs on that album. I don't want to come across as some kind of Coldplay hater, I just think they get a little too much hype from certain circles. Had to clear that up
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby vicious_bastard on Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:50 pm

Paul Weller is massively overrated - written about 5 good songs in 25 years and loads of shit ones no-one has even heard. Why the hell did he get a Lifetime Achievement award?
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby minstrel on Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:54 pm

I don't care what happens to this band. It's not that I don't like them, it's just that I've never really listened to them. I did see a televised concert special, and some or their music was ok, but Chris Martin's voice is annoying to me. He can barely sing.

I won't miss 'em.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:54 pm

vicious_bastard wrote:Paul Weller is massively overrated - written about 5 good songs in 25 years and loads of shit ones no-one has even heard. Why the hell did he get a Lifetime Achievement award?

Maybe they think he's gonna die soon! Didn't he launch a scathing attack on Coldplay before this year's ceremony too?

It's on ITV tonight, I'm quite intrigued to see it now! I hope this Madonna thing is caught on camera, I'd love to see Ritchie get openly snubbed by his wife! :lol:

And I hear that Prince was frickin' excellent. I'm not his biggest fan, but you know when you're watching a legend, and he definitely comes into that category.....
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chief Redcock on Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:42 pm

thomasgaffney, WTF are you talking about?????
Chief Redcock
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby doglips on Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:46 pm

I like Coldplay but they do need a break, X+Y suffered from them trying to hard, and the songs did not come over as well as the earlier material when they played live. Many people find them whiny etc but when it comes to playing live, they really are very good indeed.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Eric G on Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:56 pm

Eric G wrote:
Never in my life has the urge to have a skewer stuck through my head from ear to ear been greater than when I hear that high pitched, whinny, excuse for a singer Chris Martin belt out some "notes".
Eric G
AIRWOLF

Postby vicious_bastard on Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:57 pm

Prince's guitar playing blows me away every time I see him live. The man is a genius - second only to Hendrix IMO. Awesome.
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:08 pm

I've enjoyed a good deal of Coldplay's stuff. Their singles have a smooth, instantly-listenable sound to them.

That said, I like when artists (not just musicians) take a few years off to clear their heads and live a little more life, then return with a new piece down the line. I'm sure they'll return with a good deal of fanfare. They're gonna be around for a quite a while.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:10 pm

vicious_bastard wrote:Prince's guitar playing blows me away every time I see him live. The man is a genius - second only to Hendrix IMO. Awesome.

Prince walked right by me at this thing I went to in December, and he's MAYBE 5'5", 5'6". Tiny AND a little creepy.

That is all.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby doglips on Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:12 pm

Eric G wrote:
Eric G wrote:
Never in my life has the urge to have a skewer stuck through my head from ear to ear been greater than when I hear that high pitched, whinny, excuse for a singer Chris Martin belt out some "notes".

But he sounds just like teh singer from Cannibal Corpse!!!
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Eric G on Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:20 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:
Eric G wrote:
Eric G wrote:

But he sounds just like teh singer from Cannibal Corpse!!!

I :shock: ILASH!

i don't think you could have picked a singer more completely opposite to Martin then Corpse Grinder or Chris Barnes! HAHAha...that's funny.
Eric G
AIRWOLF

Postby doglips on Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:32 am

LOL! Corpse Grinder - brilliant. My joke came out better than expected. I just remembered your top ten albums were pretty heavy and thought I'd take a guess at who would be the polar opposite to Martin. Cannibal Corpse seemed to fit the bill. Got a link to their music Eric? I would be interested to hear him sing now.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:35 am

vicious_bastard wrote:Prince's guitar playing blows me away every time I see him live. The man is a genius - second only to Hendrix IMO. Awesome.

The Prince medley near the start of the ceremony was the best thing about the whole night, in my opinion....
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:50 am

I think they should release an album called "WAAAAAH!" in which they continue to weep, mope, and moan about various middle school aged emotions that most of us have matured past.

Whatever happened to music with energy and verve? Why is everyone a whining little prat now? Why?
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Tubbs Tattsyrup on Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:14 am

I dunno...their first album was good, their second better, but it was kind of ruined by the fact that they released like 75% of it as singles. Which meant, through ridiculous amounts of radio and TV play (here in NZ anyway), that they got tiresome fast.

Their music's pleasant enough - the new album kind of disappointing in its dullness and sameness, but yeah.

I guess I'm kind of ambivalent.
On YouTube or Vimeo.
Tubbs Tattsyrup
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby buster00 on Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:49 am

I can't get the song "Talk" from X & Y out of my head. The hook isn't a series of notes as much as it is a transmission from space.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DrillerKiller on Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:10 pm

If there was ever a band that I despised more than U2, Good Charlotte and Embrace, this is that band. This is me trying not to be hateful, but believe you me when I say I can think of nobody more contemptible. Completely devoid of musical energy and creativity. That's about it.
Wellycome....in jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam
DrillerKiller
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby tapehead on Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:16 pm

coldplay = or < radiohead's 1st two albums + U2 Josua tree era

Don't Thom Yorke and Johnny Greenwood have an ASBO out on Chris Martin?
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Doc Holliday on Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:17 pm

DrillerKiller wrote:If there was ever a band that I despised more than U2, Good Charlotte and Embrace, this is that band. This is me trying not to be hateful, but believe you me when I say I can think of nobody more contemptible. Completely devoid of musical energy and creativity. That's about it.

I reckon a cheap b&b, cold meat pie, bottle of thunderbird and a pack of tabs are all you'd need to realise the irony in your tagging her "Good Charlotte".....

....she may be ample....her current pop 'phenonmenon' manufactured.....but I know a Geezer-Bird when I see one....

....she dated a Crack-Chav for two years and now a rugby player? If she's still walking when she's forty...well "go medical science!" is all I can say!

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DrillerKiller on Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:52 pm

Doc, please note that I didn't put them on the same musical level as Good Charlotte (I'm not quite that demented), just that they vie for the same level of my disgust. To see how they seem to have stagnated the whole music scene yet recieve credit for rejuvenating it just sickens me to my very core.

At best they are a poor man's U2 (and that's all you'll get from me before I go ranting again). As I said, I have no desire to go all hateful in a thread about them, but I do hope you can feel the glower power emanate from my every pore, squarely in their general direction, burning away their will to exist.

I do love me my dramatics! ;)
Wellycome....in jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam
DrillerKiller
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Chilli on Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:04 pm

Thank GOD

Stupid pretensious assholes.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Shane on Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:08 pm

Chilli wrote:Thank GOD

Stupid pretensious assholes.

I just like crap.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby matthew on Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:54 am

"You know how I know you're g4y?"
"How?"
"You like Coldplay."

lolz
matthew
GLIB

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:25 pm

I think this is fairly close to a general purpose Coldplay thread.

Having heard some of their new stuff, I'm fairly mixed about it. Violet Hill is a good song, but this new Viva la Vida song does nothing.

I like the "leaked" demo/acoustic stuff - simple, honest, good music - but I'm guessing they'll be ruined by overproduction and unncessary multi-layering on the final album.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:33 pm

Fried Gold wrote:I think this is fairly close to a general purpose Coldplay thread.

Having heard some of their new stuff, I'm fairly mixed about it. Violet Hill is a good song, but this new Viva la Vida song does nothing.

Viva la Vida Loca?
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Maui on Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:38 pm

papalazeru wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:I think this is fairly close to a general purpose Coldplay thread.

Viva la Vida Loca?

I think the new song is good. It will get overplayed and annoying though in a week. I have yet to hear any of their other new tracks - I will likely check it out.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:53 pm

This one - I like.

This one - not so much.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Next

Return to Music