Coldplay

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Coldplay is back...

Viva la Coldplay!
27%
Muere la Coldplay!
27%
Meh la Coldplay!
18%
Viva la Cosplay!
27%

Total votes : 11

Postby Maui on Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:14 pm

Fried Gold wrote:This one - I like.

Yeah, I like that track too.
Maui
WoWie

Postby doglips on Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:15 pm

I think they are both quality tunes. Berryman provides some sweet WOTW Jeff Wayne like bass on Violet Hill, maybe what they were going for with Eno? Vida la Vida just seems to be their sound distilled, I like all the group woo's and whoa's in the mix. Life in Technicolour ( the instrumental opening track ) is very upbeat and life affirming ( more of those woo's+whoa's in there! ) and Lost! is a simple guitar led ballader, not bad but nothing new, I'm eager to here the rest of the record - can't find a leak ANYWHERE...

I always have loved Coldplay and these tracks have made me listen to the three previous records quite a bit for a fix.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:18 pm

Got to say, I prefered Coldplay when they actually remembered they have a guitarist in the band! :P Their debut album was excellent, ROBTTH was a masterpiece, X&Y I found dull and too close to U2 in sound (not a fan of U2 at all, I'm afraid) and what I've heard of the new album hasn't impressed me. I will get it, give it a fair listen, but I'm just not super psyched about this one, kids.
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby doglips on Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:19 pm

Nice AV there Maui, BTW......
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Maui on Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:21 pm

Worst Part's Almost Over wrote:Their debut album was excellent, ROBTTH was a masterpiece

Yup, still my favourite to this day.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Maui on Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:21 pm

doglips wrote:Nice AV there Maui, BTW......

hee hee, thanks! ;) I like the kitten on her shoulder, a nice added touch!
Maui
WoWie

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:23 pm

Maui wrote:

Just for me, would you change your custom rank to 'Bowie'? :D
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby Maui on Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:24 pm

Worst Part's Almost Over wrote:
Maui wrote:

Ch ch ch changes???
Maui
WoWie

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:27 pm

Maui wrote:
Worst Part's Almost Over wrote:
Maui wrote:

Ch ch ch changes???

I proper LOL'd, mate! You win a biscuit of your choice :D
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby doglips on Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:06 pm

Seems like my early version of Lost! was really early! Now it's turned into a lost U2 track......
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:10 pm

doglips wrote:Seems like my early version of Lost! was really early! Now it's turned into a lost U2 track......

You see, this is my real problem with what Coldplay have become. Leaving aside for the moment that I can't stand U2, I just don't like the fact that Coldplay have altered their sound to something which more closely resembles Bono & Co. There was nothing wrong with the sound of their first 2 albums, so I can't understand why they've gone in this direction. Some would argue that this is the band evolving their sound - but I'd disagree. Evolving does not mean changing into an Irish dad rock band. It means creating something new. What Coldplay are now doing is nothing U2 haven't already covered (we're talking in terms of style, production and such here) and as a result I can't say I enjoy it.

Only my opinion though, folks.
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby doglips on Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:15 pm

I'm skipping through the new album as we speak and it seems pretty varied. It's quite an odd record actually. They've learned a lot from X+Y, put it that way. Eno is all over this like a rash!
Last edited by doglips on Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:16 pm

doglips wrote:I'm skipping through the new album as we speak and it seems pretty varied. It's quite an odd record actually.

As I said before, of course I'll give it a fair listen. You can't properly judge something until you've had experience of it. So when I can get my hands on a copy I'll go through it and report back, sir.
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:27 pm

doglips wrote:Seems like my early version of Lost! was really early! Now it's turned into a lost U2 track......

Yep me too. I prefer the piano-only version. Simple but effective.

doglips wrote:I always have loved Coldplay and these tracks have made me listen to the three previous records quite a bit for a fix.

Yeah I was trying to set up a sorta best of playlist for my Ipod earlier, but just ended up listening to pretty much everything I had. Until I'd downloaded a highly legal copy of the new LP.

doglips wrote:I'm skipping through the new album as we speak and it seems pretty varied. It's quite an odd record actually. They've learned a lot from X+Y, put it that way. Eno is all over this like a rash!

There are some really good songs on there, some beautiful parts...but I'm still not sure if it's been made too complicated. I think there's a lot getting lost in the mix.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:31 pm

I think it's gonna seem complex for a few listens but it's soaked in melodies. It'll be fairly awesome live, I imagine.....

Lovers In Japan/Reign of Love is excellent. Death and All his Friends too. A lot of mid track turn on the heads.

I'm liking the handclaps ( You heard that right, Ribbons! ) on Lost!
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:37 pm

I like the way a lot of the songs appear to segue into each other, and then some of the elements get recalled later on briefly at the end.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Coldplay Now W/ Viva La Vida or do you love it or hate it?

Postby bastard_robo on Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:47 pm

because you like Coldplay...
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby doglips on Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:09 am

So a few listens in - two ( good, especially the reprise of Life in Technicolour ) secret tracks, prog rock leanings and influences, skyscraping guitars ( Edge comparisons ahoy! Inevitable, but Buckland is definitely forming his own sound ) a smattering of Far Eastern keyboard effects ( I read somewhere they must have been watching Lost In Translation while laying some of these tracks down - about right....) all adds up to a great Coldplay record.

It doesn't quite nail everything it attempts but as an excursion from X+Y staleness they are poised to produce a classic pop-rock record next time round. 7/10 for the album ( might go up...) 9/10 for effort!
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Simon Quinlank on Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:33 pm

I've never quite seen the U2 comparison has valid.
I AM THE KING OF ALL HOBBIES
Simon Quinlank
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Maui on Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:30 pm

doglips wrote:So a few listens in - two ( good, especially the reprise of Life in Technicolour ) secret tracks, prog rock leanings and influences, skyscraping guitars ( Edge comparisons ahoy! Inevitable, but Buckland is definitely forming his own sound ) a smattering of Far Eastern keyboard effects ( I read somewhere they must have been watching Lost In Translation while laying some of these tracks down - about right....) all adds up to a great Coldplay record.

It doesn't quite nail everything it attempts but as an excursion from X+Y staleness they are poised to produce a classic pop-rock record next time round. 7/10 for the album ( might go up...) 9/10 for effort!

Ah, nice little summary of the album DL!
Maui
WoWie

Re: Coldplay (Now w/ Viva la Vida or Do You Love It or Hate It?)

Postby tapehead on Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:55 pm

Chris Martin - Plagiarist?
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:41 am

Wow, until the subtitles started explaining things more I'd really thought the original was from the 70s-80s, those guys have a decent style! Chris Martin sucks.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:48 am

Pacino86845 wrote:Wow, until the subtitles started explaining things more I'd really thought the original was from the 70s-80s, those guys have a decent style! Chris Martin sucks.

Mayhaps it was the Stash? The Stash frightened me...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:27 am

tapehead wrote:Chris Martin - Plagiarist?

Honestly, unless it was pointed out to me in this way I doubt I'd suddenly think "That's like Viva la Vida!!!" if I heard it.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:43 am

Well those accusations seem to have been debunked... international conspiracy notwithstanding, it's likely that the similarities are just a coincidence.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby tapehead on Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:54 pm

Chris Martin confesses to plagiarism!

"We're definitely good, but I don't think you can say we're that original, I regard us as being incredibly good plagiarists."
alright, so he did make this quote when that wretched X+Y came out... But Chris Martin Must Pay!

You should try listening to that elbow song “Grace Under Pressure” and then "Fix You" - rip off!

Pacino86845 wrote:it's likely that the similarities are just a coincidence.

Why are you apologising for Chris Martin? this rumour won't go away - because it's true!

elderly dutch musician accuses coldplay of plagiarism regards the track 'Clocks'

And I haven't even mentioned Kraftwerk yet...
Last edited by tapehead on Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:18 pm

Apparently the whole of the "A Rush of Blood to the Head" LP was a direct rip-off of the 1985 Dire Straits album "Brothers in Arms".

Coincidentally, Pitchfork Media gave both 0.07/100.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:23 pm

Pitchfork wrote:But Viva isn't a complete overhaul á la Achtung Baby or Kid A; just as they dull the sharp corners of their legendary influences musically, Coldplay offer a diluted version of the "experimental" mid-career maneuver with their fourth LP. It's a case of well-honed troubleshooting that should keep the faithful conscious enough to appreciate its subtle improvements.

Ever self-deprecating, Martin offered his band's thesis to MTV a couple weeks ago: "We look at what other people are doing and try and steal all the good bits," he said. "We steal from so many different places that hopefully it becomes untraceable." That last bit is probably wishful thinking. For their "new direction" album, Coldplay hired the egghead responsible for more new direction albums than any other producer over the past 35 years, Brian Eno. The move isn't original, but it's smart. A self-described "sculptor" with a tendency to chip away rather than augment, Eno helps Coldplay reverse their bloat in favor of a slimmer sound; the anthems remain but they're no longer bogged down by incessant refrains and overdubs.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby LeFlambeur on Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:00 pm

You know, this sounds more like Viva La Vida than that Creaky Boards song.

Coldplays' melodies really aren't very complex and so its only a matter of time before there are similarities. If you believe the YouTube, they've stolen from everyone from Kraftwerk, Alizeé, Billy Joel, Andrew Lloyd Webber, and of course Radiohead. You could spend all day dissecting these things but really, what's the point?
LeFlambeur
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby so sorry on Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:13 pm

LeFlambeur wrote:You know, this sounds more like Viva La Vida than that Creaky Boards song.

Coldplays' melodies really aren't very complex and so its only a matter of time before there are similarities. If you believe the YouTube, they've stolen from everyone from Kraftwerk, Alizeé, Billy Joel, Andrew Lloyd Webber, and of course Radiohead. You could spend all day dissecting these things but really, what's the point?

Well, he got you to post his youtube link on a message board, so I guess his point was made!!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Bob Samonkey on Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:28 pm

I still blame creaky boards Andrew's mustache for this whole thread...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby LeFlambeur on Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:30 pm

true, it is mostly just a way to get attention, but the whole rip off thing is a bit dubious.
LeFlambeur
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby tapehead on Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:05 pm

LeFlambeur wrote:You know, this sounds more like Viva La Vida than that Creaky Boards song.

You're right; they totally ripped off Joe Satriani too.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Brocktune on Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:31 pm

LeFlambeur wrote:Coldplays' melodies really aren't very complex and so its only a matter of time before there are similarities. If you believe the YouTube, they've stolen from everyone from Kraftwerk, Alizeé, Billy Joel, Andrew Lloyd Webber, and of course Radiohead. You could spend all day dissecting these things but really, what's the point?

thats the difference between an influence, and a fuckin rip off

Talk
Computer Love
Computer Love (remix)

i rest my case
coldplay fuckin sucks.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:46 pm

Brocktune wrote:
LeFlambeur wrote:Coldplays' melodies really aren't very complex and so its only a matter of time before there are similarities. If you believe the YouTube, they've stolen from everyone from Kraftwerk, Alizeé, Billy Joel, Andrew Lloyd Webber, and of course Radiohead. You could spend all day dissecting these things but really, what's the point?

Talk
Computer Love
Computer Love (remix)

i rest my case
coldplay fuckin sucks.

I thought Kraftwerk said it was ok to use it?
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:10 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:
Brocktune wrote:

Talk
Computer Love
Computer Love (remix)

i rest my case
coldplay fuckin sucks.

I thought Kraftwerk said it was ok to use it?

Yeah that was an intentional, and authorised, sampling.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:11 pm

Not actually a 'sample', but they did have to give Kraftwerk a songwriting credit, at least in the press before the album's release
Coldplay and Radiohead - a comparison
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:23 pm

Martin seems to be confused himself about plagurism (or was trying to be funny) as I think "2+2=5" was released after “God Put a Smile on Your Face”.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Heyoucantlaughatthat on Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:08 am

Of all of the crap the local top 40 station plays, Viva la Vida is the only song I can stand. I like it. And all of Coldplay's videos give me chills too. God put a Smile on your face in particular was a cool vid.
Heyoucantlaughatthat
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Wolfpack on Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:18 am

They stopped playing "Love Song" and "Stop and Stare" long enough to play "Viva la Vida?" :shock: Strangeness!
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:10 pm

tapehead wrote:Not actually a 'sample', but they did have to give Kraftwerk a songwriting credit, at least in the press before the album's release
Coldplay and Radiohead - a comparison

It's sort of interesting that Martin joked about being really good at stealing little snippets of music from all over the place, because I was listening to Viva la Vida finally earlier today and I could've sworn I heard some My Bloody Valentine and even some The Frames in there (timeline might match up since Once came out last spring). Does anybody else know what I mean? Anyway, I thought it was actually pretty good overall, much better than X & Y.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby tapehead on Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:03 am

Apparently Satriani is suing them now.

it's a few months old, but I just stumbled across it. More on Reuters
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby theunforgettablefire on Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:59 am

Eh...the similarities are there, I suppose, but I think the odds that Coldplay listen to Jo Satriani are pretty low. I guarantee it's just an unfortunate coincidence that Joe'll use to his advantage, since he has nothing else going on in his life at the moment.
theunforgettablefire
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Fievel on Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:57 am

But dude... Satriani can shred!!!
(insert air guitar maneuver complete with flicking of tongue)
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Maui on Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:16 pm

Fievel wrote:But dude... Satriani can shred!!!
(insert air guitar maneuver complete with flicking of tongue)

Yes he certainly can. I remember hearing this on the radio a few months back, re. Satriani suing Coldplay. Similarities are there.

Speaking of ripoffs, I still can't believe Warren Zevon isn't suing the pants off of Kid Rock for "All Summer Long". The comparisons (melodies) between "Werewolves of London" are just too freakin' obvious. Shameful.
Maui
WoWie

Re: Coldplay (Now w/ Viva la Vida or Do You Love It or Hate

Postby Peven on Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:32 pm

Maui wrote:Speaking of ripoffs, I still can't believe Warren Zevon isn't suing the pants off of Kid Rock for "All Summer Long". The comparisons (melodies) between "Werewolves of London" are just too freakin' obvious. Shameful.

it is hard to sue people when you are dead....

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Maui on Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:36 pm

RIP WARREN ZEVON

*goes back into cave*
Maui
WoWie

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:16 pm

theunforgettablefire wrote:Eh...the similarities are there, I suppose, but I think the odds that Coldplay listen to Jo Satriani are pretty low. I guarantee it's just an unfortunate coincidence that Joe'll use to his advantage, since he has nothing else going on in his life at the moment.

I seem to think it was found out that two even earlier songs sounded like it too and Joe Satriani went all quiet.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:21 pm

Maybe, it's also nice that Coldplay's label have been so helpful.EMI have been busy removing versions of the Youtube video comparisons for, yes, copyright infringement. Although this WIRED article is four months old, it describes the case as 'ongoing'.

At this point for me the vagaries of copyright laws are more interesting than Coldplay's last album.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby havocSchultz on Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:17 pm

Maui wrote:RIP WARREN ZEVON

*goes back into cave*

When you get back out of the cave, maybe you can answer me this:
Why don't Patsy Cline put out any new records...?

(random U-Turn reference)
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

PreviousNext

Return to Music