Guns and Roses -- Chinese Democracy

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Guns and Roses -- Chinese Democracy

Postby Nachokoolaid on Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:53 pm

I did a search, but couldn't find anything about this on here, so I thought I'd start a new topic.

I was wondering if anyone has heard the 2 song demo from Guns and Roses "Chinese Democracy" that was recently leaked on the net.

Here's a link.

edit - kcbc - removed.

I haven't downloaded, because I'm always scared about viruses, and I have a terrible connection here, but I thought I'd pass along the info and see what everyone else thought about it.

I know it's not "really" G & R, and it's just Axl Rose and some new guys, but I was a pretty big fan back in the day, and I was wondering what is taking him so long to put out a new album, and if it's in any way comparable to the old stuff.

Discuss.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby MiltonWaddams on Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:10 pm

Guns and Roses kept the hair metal thing afloat for several years longer than it should have. I dug them back in the day, and a lot of their good stuff is still pretty good, they (Axl) just got stupid pretty fast. The new G&R played on some MTV awards show and.. it was awful. Axl has lost his signature voice, the replaced slash with a bucket-head guy (big question mark their), etc etc.

You know what's funny? Guns and Roses dissolved, the musical portion of the band found a new singer in Scott Weiland, and now they combined into Velvet Revolver and proceeded to make some of the most mediocre radio-rock I have ever heard.

I'll get this simply to check it out, but their is no way it's gonna live up to old G&R standards.
Urer yvrf Z.J.
Xvyyrq ol ungr naq vafvqr wbxrf.
MiltonWaddams
REAL DRAGON

Postby Brocktune on Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:11 pm

i should probably just stay out of this one :wink:
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby St. Alphonzo on Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:26 pm

Brocktune wrote:i should probably just stay out of this one :wink:

Heh.

:)
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:36 pm

Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:42 pm

Come on KCBC, you haven't twigged yet that under NachoKoolAid's batman mask is the raven-haired, and very pissed off, Slash getting his revenge on Axl by posting that link? He's got a right to be peeved.

And anyway, this is a forum to discuss how many kids (or grandkids) we'll have before it comes out, it's not about any of that nasty d/loading business.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby SilentBobX on Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:03 pm

Axl Rose is still alive? Ah, bad craziness. I respect the early work of G n R but if Axl thinks he's going to hide in a bunker for a decade and ramble on about his 'soon to be released' cd and then suddenly become #1 overnight again, he's got another thing coming. We'll get actual democracy in china before we get chinese democracy. Axl is a primadonna bitch warmed over leftover from the metal wasteland of the 80s and is worthy of nothing but a mention on a trivial pursuit card. Fuck him.

Res Ipsa Loquitor
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby Seppuku on Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:16 pm

SilentBobX wrote:Axl Rose is still alive? Ah, bad craziness. I respect the early work of G n R but if Axl thinks he's going to hide in a bunker for a decade and ramble on about his 'soon to be released' cd and then suddenly become #1 overnight again, he's got another thing coming. We'll get actual democracy in china before we get chinese democracy. Axl is a primadonna bitch warmed over leftover from the metal wasteland of the 80s and is worthy of nothing but a mention on a trivial pursuit card. Fuck him.

Res Ipsa Loquitor

Excelsior! Great post.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby minstrel on Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:47 pm

SilentBobX wrote:Axl Rose is still alive? Ah, bad craziness. I respect the early work of G n R but if Axl thinks he's going to hide in a bunker for a decade and ramble on about his 'soon to be released' cd and then suddenly become #1 overnight again, he's got another thing coming. We'll get actual democracy in china before we get chinese democracy. Axl is a primadonna bitch warmed over leftover from the metal wasteland of the 80s and is worthy of nothing but a mention on a trivial pursuit card. Fuck him.

Res Ipsa Loquitor

Very
Well
Put.

Thanks for saying this.
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby SilentBobX on Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:26 am

You're all welcome. I appreciate the support. Now all we need to do is hire someone to kick Axl's ass.......
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:43 am

After all this time I'm amazed that Interscope hasn't sent in a SWAT team of lawyers to sieze the tapes in an effort to recoup what has surely been a shitload of money thus far. Every time someone asks him about it the answer is, "Soon." How about a day and date fucko? I'm surprised that anyone even bothers to feign interest anymore. It's kinda like Bigfoot sightings by now. "Dude, I swear to God I heard the new GnR album." Allegedly the GnR song used over the end credits of Big Daddy was a re-recording by the new line-up but if the rumors are true Axl has since erased some or all of it. Word is that whenever one of his hired hands leaves the band he erases their parts and re-records them with someone else. We also have Axl to thank for the aborted Replacements reunion. I don't know how complete it was supposed to be but when Paul Westerberg suggested it in an interview Tommy Stinson was heard to say, "Yeah, that'd be cool," but when Axl heard of it he waved Tommy's contract in his face and said no. So in closing: Axl, shit or get off the pot.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:56 am

Ooops. My bad. I just wanted to hear what folks thought of all this.

You know what I always remember about Axl Rose?

It was from Metallica's "Behind the Music" on VH1. At that show in Canada where Metallica and G&R were both supposed to play, and Hetfield got lit up from the pyro and almost died... remember?

Anyway, Jason Newstead was like, "G&R could have come on and played a killer set and saved the day, but Axl, not wanting to be upstaged, said he couldn't go on because he had a sore throat. *mass rioting ensues* Axl just sat through it all, smoking a cig and drinking a martini. It must have been watching Nero play as Rome burned."

I thought that was always such a strong image.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby buster00 on Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:15 am

I'm SURPRISED at this unwarranted outpouring of hate.

Remember the time you cut class to go shoplift your first copy of Appetite for Destruction? Sure you do. And it was the RIGHT decision. Whether it was from MTV, Creem magazine, or your cooler older brother, you and 25 MILLION OTHERS AROUND THE WORLD had been made aware of this rogginroll SLEDGEHAMMER which left listeners feeling as exasperated as the rape victim depicted on the album's Robert Williams-painted cover. No WAY was goddamn Social Studies more important than "Mr. Brownstone" in 1988, man.

From "It's So Easy" --

"I see you standin' there
You think you're so cool
Why don't you just
FUCK OFF!"

While GNR was performing "It's So Easy" at Monsters of Rock, two fans were trampled and killed in the audience. THAT'S how hard Guns N' Roses rocks.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:53 am

buster00 wrote:I'm SURPRISED at this unwarranted outpouring of hate.

Remember the time you cut class to go shoplift your first copy of Appetite for Destruction? Sure you do. And it was the RIGHT decision. Whether it was from MTV, Creem magazine, or your cooler older brother, you and 25 MILLION OTHERS AROUND THE WORLD had been made aware of this rogginroll SLEDGEHAMMER which left listeners feeling as exasperated as the rape victim depicted on the album's Robert Williams-painted cover. No WAY was goddamn Social Studies more important than "Mr. Brownstone" in 1988, man.

From "It's So Easy" --

You think you're so cool
Why don't you just
FUCK OFF!"

While GNR was performing "It's So Easy" at Monsters of Rock, two fans were trampled and killed in the audience. THAT'S how hard Guns N' Roses rocks.

yeah, but you have to remember when Use Your Illusion 1 & 2 came out in 'ought '91 or so is when those very same social studies deficient delinquents cut out of class (Pre-Calculus, in my case) in heady anticipation of another sonic onslaught, only to be found later, hours later, slumped in the corner, muttering feverishly into the dark recesses of their souls,..."We've gone from "My Michelle" to "November Rain"...Verily, there is no god..."
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:04 am

Ooo, yeah, you do have the "Axl wants to be Elton John" years...and we won't even delve into The Spaghetti Incident...

but is there to be NO vindication thanks to "Rocket Queen" ALONE?

If we get another Appetite (and can avoid another forgettable miscue like the single "Oh My God" from a few years ago), then I say give him all the time he wants.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:44 am

G&R were once compared to the Beatles. And the way people acted back then, that actually seems fitting. But then attitude destroyed it all.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby SilentBobX on Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:51 pm

I remember buying Appetite for Destruction, which I liked. After all, I said I respect their early work. Of course I graduated high school in 88(showing my age here) ahem........ In any event, with a band these days, it's about staying power. G n R had a nice little run, but Axl ruined it with his bitching, whining, crying and his childish behavior. Every week on MTV I recall it was some new bullshit thing he did that alienated his fans and drove them away. I still remember him diving into a crowd to beat the shit out of some guy who shot a picture of him. It was vivid in my memory because he was wearing a feather boa, which made me wonder, since he was so homophobic(remember the lyrics to One in a Million?).

G n R are gone now, and gone they will remain. After all, when you shoot yourself in the foot so many times, you will bleed to death. And Axl not only shot the band in the foot, he shot it in the foot, head, groin, and chest, reloaded, and shot AGAIN.

Axl's legacy will be that of unrealized potential and childish behavior. Let him rot in his little dungeon and play with his tapes of his 'allegeded' upcoming album. I said it before and I'll say it again: Fuck him.

Res Ipsa Loquitor
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby minstrel on Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:00 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:G&R were once compared to the Beatles.

Not in a positive way - at least, not by intelligent people in full command of their faculties. Maybe in the sense of "G&R are in no way like the Beatles."

I'm not a big Beatles fan, and I do like a few G&R songs. But it's hard to find a more extreme example of success-going-to-the-head than Axl Rose. Only people of the stature of Elvis Presley, John Lennon, or Bob Dylan could have gotten away with the sort of behavior Axl Rose wants to get away with (I'm not suggesting that these artists actually behaved like Axl, only that their fans would likely have indulged them if they had).

So yeah - Axl can shut up and go away and I won't miss him.
minstrel

Postby minstrel on Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:04 pm

buster00 wrote:From "It's So Easy" --

You think you're so cool
Why don't you just
FUCK OFF!"

Do you measure how hard a band rocks by how many people die at their concerts? Eleven people died at a Who show once, and the band was NOT proud of that.

And those lyrics aren't much. The Doors were doing more subversive and powerful stuff twenty years earlier. So were other bands in the sixties. And lots of punkers in the 70s were pushing further, too. G&R weren't original or particularly edgy. However, they WERE a hard-rocking band at a time when there weren't many hard rockers around. That's as far as my praise for G&R will go.
minstrel

Re: Guns and Roses -- Chinese Democracy

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:54 pm

Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:03 pm

Wow, forgot I even started this thread. Looking back on it now, it looks liek there's going to be a lot of folks eating a little bit of crow.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby minstrel on Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:06 pm

If this isn't the greatest album of all time, it will be a serious disappointment. Axl has been promising this album since shortly after the Crimean War, and expectations have risen to the point of absurdity. I think this will likely be greeted with a huge collective yawn.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel

Postby Nachokoolaid on Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:27 am

Rolling Stone gave a four star review. They say there's a little bit of Appetite there, but it's most often resembles Use Your Illusion. Honestly, that's better than I expected, so I'll be picking this up, most likely.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:51 am

From what I've heard so far it sounds very mediocre, and not a lot different to other stuff out there.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby CAFR on Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:24 pm

I've not minded what I've heard so far. I actually think "Better," is a really good song.
CAFR
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:06 pm

I've listened to it all the way through. I need to listen a few more times to let it sink in a bit, but right now, I'd say it's a bit underwhelming overall. Although I think I was starting to buy into a lot of the hype and positive spin it's been getting in the press. I guess I was expecting more. There doesn't seem to be one song that just really stands out and seems like a solid hit a la "Welcome to the Jungle," "Sweet Child O Mine," "Paradise City" or "November Rain." It all just sort of sounds the same and overproduced. It has these weird parts where it seems like there's some techno stuff that way too electronic sounding, or even some hip-hop beats. I don't associate those things with GNR at all. It's not a terrible album though. There are a couple of catchy riffs, and Axel still seems like a solid vocalist.

However, there have been two rock albums so far this year that are tons better than Chinese Democracy (those being Metallica's DEATH MAGNETIC and AC/DC's Black Ice). Although I have to admit, if you would have told me that the three greatest bands from my youth would all have new albums this fall, I would have called you crazy. Great time for a rock fan, honestly, so it could be worse.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Return to Music