Morrisey v's FBI - Now with Figgis!

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Morrisey v's FBI - Now with Figgis!

Postby magicmonkey on Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:57 am

Just read this, found it quite amusing. Please feel free to discuss the Smiths and Morriseys solo career, or pop stars being questioned as part of the perpetual war on terror.
Last edited by magicmonkey on Wed May 30, 2007 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby TonyWilson on Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:07 pm

There's just so much material here. I'll pass on the politics for the sake of not riling up certain people, and just say that I hope Morrissey corrected the investigating officers grammar and speech patterns.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby magicmonkey on Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:14 pm

TonyWilson wrote:There's just so much material here. I'll pass on the politics for the sake of not riling up certain people, and just say that I hope Morrissey corrected the investigating officers grammar and speech patterns.

It sure makes some great material for a scene in a David Lynch movie.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:21 pm

If only the FBI paid this much attention to actual
terrorists instead of pop stars. If they did, there wouldn't
even have been a 9/11.
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Seppuku on Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:39 pm

Steven Patrick Stanford Harrowgate Morissey Esquire the II wrote:I always assume that so-called authoritarian figures just assume that pop/rock music is slightly insane and an untouchable platform for the working classes to stand up and say something noticeable.

So after 25 years of putting on his haughty-as-hell related-to-Her Majesty accent, he finally comes clean about his working class roots...it bloody took you long enough Mozza. ;)

I really hate the argument that pop stars or musicians aren't allowed to get into politics. It's like saying that movies are only allowed to feature explosions and must have a rigid three-act structure (haha had to plant that little Master Whedon rib in there). Morrissey's always been a man who lives and dies by his lyrics, and he can use whatever the hell he likes as fodder.

And what exactly would the "U.S and UK" govenments had done if they'd established that he was trying to slander their good, honourable names? Would they have slapped him on the back of the hand with a ruler and told him to never do it again? Sometimes I get very sceptical about how seriously some people take this concept of free speech/thought. If a person says, "I want to exploderize the whole world" and doesn't mean anything by it, they're just hollow words. People put too much weight on language and quoting people, and sometimes forget to look into the motives behind the quotes (generally taken out of context).
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Flickerhead on Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:09 pm

Thank God the FBI has finally turned it's eye toward this dangerous terrorist sympathizer with the deceptive milk 'n honey voice. Moz has been a loose cannon for far too long, and it's about time the government let him know that he's being watched. Shoplifter of the world unite -- need I say more?

:roll:
Flickerhead
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby magicmonkey on Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:11 pm

Hehe, nice first post Flickerhead, welcome to the Zone!!
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby buster00 on Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:08 am

Flickerhead wrote:Thank God the FBI has finally turned it's eye toward this dangerous terrorist sympathizer with the deceptive milk 'n honey voice. Moz has been a loose cannon for far too long, and it's about time the government let him know that he's being watched. Shoplifter of the world unite -- need I say more?

:roll:

Bravo!!
Welcome!
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tubbs Tattsyrup on Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:12 am

With America Is Not The World, Morrissey endeared himself to me even more than he had before (with the Smiths, etc)...and now he's following that up by becoming an actual terrorist threat ;).

Can't wait for his new album - Quarry was one hell of a comeback.
On YouTube or Vimeo.
Tubbs Tattsyrup
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby DennisMM on Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:18 am

The most dangerous things about Moz are and always have been his sideburns.

Do we really pay taxes for this sort of work?

Democracy in a coma; you know it's serious.

(added that last once and it didn't go through. hmm.)
Last edited by DennisMM on Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Seppuku on Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:21 am

DennisMM wrote:The most dangerous things about Moz are and always have been his sideburns.

Don't worry, if your beard and Mozza's sideburns ever got in a rumpus (you have to love that word) the beard would trounce the burns easily.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Flickerhead on Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:04 pm

The sideburns are dangerous, yes, but you mustn't underestimate the terrifying power of the coiffure, which is nearly an entity unto itself.

Thanks for the welcome, all. Often wondered what "The Zone" was all about. Finally got up the gumption to log in, and I'm greeted with Moz vs. the FB-fuckin-I. Gotta love it.
Flickerhead
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Bob Samonkey on Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:11 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:
DennisMM wrote:Th e most dangerous things about Moz are and always have been his sideburns.

Don't worry, if your beard and Mozza's sideburns ever got in a rumpus (you have to love that word) the beard would trounce the burns easily.

What about the electric tape?
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Peven on Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:14 pm

Federal Bureau of Incompetence

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Flickerhead on Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:25 pm

Tubbs, I have to agree that <I>Quarry</I> was a fantastic return to form, and <I>Come Back to Camden</I> may be one of my all-time favorites.

That said, I sure would like to see our man flirt with some more inventive music (and by that I do not mean the generic psuedo-grunge of <I>Maladjusted</I> and <I>Southpaw Grammar</I>).

Instrumentation on his albums has always been solid, but nobody listens to Morrissey for the exceptional music -- it's all about his voice and lyrics. If he could pair those with some crazy-cool music like, I dunno, Magnetic Fields or Radiohead the Decemberists, I'll bet he could rocket from cult-hero to living legend.

Ah, fuck it. He's a living legend already. Nevermind. :)
Flickerhead
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby raasnio on Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:53 pm

Tubbs Tattsyrup wrote:With America Is Not The World, Morrissey endeared himself to me even more than he had before (with the Smiths, etc)...and now he's following that up by becoming an actual terrorist threat ;).

Can't wait for his new album - Quarry was one hell of a comeback.

I've not heard Quarry yet, as I've never gotten into his solo albums, but I love The Smiths.

I never get too involved in the politics of musicians. Even if I don't like their politics it doesn't matter. What matters is how the music affects me.

It can be distracting, though. Ministry's last two albums focus entirely too much on Bush. Like I haven't heard enough about him already. What would be better is to imply things without naming names. That way the music and the words hold up over time. Which is the approach KMFDM has taken.

As for Morrissey, I believe he spoke with honesty and intelligence regarding his 'run-in' with the FBI. Talk about composure.
raasnio
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby magicmonkey on Wed May 30, 2007 4:52 am

First Morrisey, now this!

Observer wrote: Jason Solomons
Sunday April 22, 2007
The Observer

A terminal case

Director Mike Figgis spent longer at LAX airport than intended. He'd arrived in Los Angeles, along with half the acting and directing world, for what is known as 'pilot season', when the big studios try out new scripts, directors and actors in a two-week frenzy of auditions and career make-or-breaks. When Figgis was being grilled by airport immigration, he was asked the purpose of his visit. Unthinking and tired after a long flight, Mike replied: 'I'm here to shoot a pilot.' After five hours in an interrogation cell (yes, really), he finally made it into town.

Ho ho ho.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed May 30, 2007 4:56 am

It really took five hours to straighten this whole mess up? That is just fucking silly.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Wed May 30, 2007 6:18 pm

C'mon! It's LAX and screeners don't know what a pilot is? Sometimes it seems like 40% of southern California has an agent and a head shot.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby John-Locke on Wed May 30, 2007 6:41 pm

Some people are so dumb, I can't believe shit like this happens.

Did they really think he was confessing to a plan to commit a crime?

He'd just got off the plane, didn't they realise that he had just missed his opportunity to shoot a pilot?
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby minstrel on Wed May 30, 2007 7:30 pm

I don't believe it took five hours to clear it up. It probably took five minutes. But they threw Figgis into the interrogation cell and let him WAIT for five hours before the right guy came along to question him.

At least, that's what I think probably happened.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby doglips on Wed May 30, 2007 7:38 pm

Maybe the immigration official saw Timecode at the cinema?
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby TheBaxter on Wed May 30, 2007 10:14 pm

meanwhile, guys with TB are flying in and out of the country with no problem.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby tapehead on Wed May 30, 2007 10:23 pm

might have been his comments about 'shooting it, then cutting it together' that exacerbated the situation.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby magicmonkey on Wed May 30, 2007 11:05 pm

doglips wrote:Maybe the immigration official saw Timecode at the cinema?

Ha! I did and now I have the DVD :P . I'm sure they just detained him 'cos they could, the Dean Koontz.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Maui on Wed May 30, 2007 11:12 pm

I found the other blurb more amusing, about his fans urging him not to tear off his shirts on stage due to his middle age spread at 48.
Maui
WoWie

Postby magicmonkey on Wed May 30, 2007 11:31 pm

Who? Figgis?

Ah, oh I see...

You mean Moz... but sometimes a man, when wooing his invisible muse, must do it bare chested, it , um, emphasises his sincerity.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Return to Music