Jah is I and I: The Reggae Thread

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Jah is I and I: The Reggae Thread

Postby Seppuku on Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:32 am

Ite now me 'umble peoples, it's The Zion Lion here askin' you Batu Klaats to get some Reggaefication inta your lives.

I was just scratchin me natty dreads earlia, chewin me an ackee when some little haggla came up to me and said, "You wan' buy some I-cense?" an' I say, "Can't you see I's I-ditating?" but 'im not be stopped and kept on 'asslin me wit 'ees I-cense, so I bought some off the Jacro. Well I's smokin the 'erb mixed wit the smell'a the I-cense when some American Jakeys came up to me an' asked, "Wha's it like to be a Jamaican?". I said relax mon! But 'im wouldn't be stopped, so I said well you gotta listen to these musics that the Zion Lion loves:

The Congos - Heart of The Congos

Burning Spear- Marcus Garvey (and the dub version Old Marcus Garvey)

Lee Scratch Perry - Return of the Super Ape

Junior Murvin - Police and Thieves

The Heptones - Party Time/Cool Rasta

So imma go back to do some bow on me woman. They gotta be kept 'appy somehow ah? So here's me man Sepp in The Zion Lion's place.

Hey, just want to know what your favourite Reggae songs/albums and experiences are- and just what you think about Jamaican culture in general. For me my fave moment is when I went to a Jimmy Cliff concert (the man can still belt those songs out with the power of a thousand spliffs), and I managed to blag my way backstage by pretending to be a journalist. So I got to have a conversation with one of my idols...

And also, thanks for my man The Lion Zion for that little intro, but I bet if you sometimes find Dino a little hard to understand it must have been like he was speaking Martian.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Brocktune on Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:41 am

steel pulse - handsworth revolution
steel pulse - tribute to the martyrs
shaggy - boombastic
bob marley - natty dread
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Sat May 27, 2006 8:16 am

R.I.P. Desmond Dekker (he died on the 25th). I loved you man.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby unikrunk on Sat May 27, 2006 10:13 am

seppukudkurosawa wrote:R.I.P. Desmond Dekker (he died on the 25th). I loved you man.

Huge love for Desmond – it’s a sad thing he’s gone. To my mind, Lee Perry, Desmond and Prince Buster invented rock-steady / ska, which then evolved into reggae and dance hall.

That’s the stuff I listen to, I can’t really get down with a lot of reggae and dance hall (new stuff), but I love the first wave, coming out of Jamaica and not giving a fuck – in the late 50’s these guys were making the sound of the future, while the rest of world was sucking down bubble gum pop.

RIP Desmond
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sat May 27, 2006 10:15 am

Yo, Lee Perry played at the WXPN World Cafe live in Philly the other
day and I MISSED IT!!!

ARRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!

I love me that dubalicious dub. BLACK ARK forever! Say hi to
SUN RA for me...

And smoke tons of that magical herb...

(side note, but do you reckon that YYY "Gold Lion" song they are
referring to the Rastafarian symbol? I reckon so...)
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Carolian on Sat May 27, 2006 2:06 pm

I actually think that some of the most interesting reggae comes from bands/artists who don't usually play reggae. For instance, Joe Strummer & the Mescaleros have an awesome reggae-infused rock song called "Get Down Moses" on their last album, STREETCORE. Then there's Elvis Costello's "Watching the Detectives", another interesting take on the genre.

Finally, much love for my boys the Bad Brains--"The Youth Are Getting Restless" and "I and I Survive" are fucking awesome reggae songs. They even did a dub album a few years ago. Jah love, neh?
The whole world's wild at heart and weird on top.

This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.
Carolian
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Peven on Sat May 27, 2006 4:06 pm

:oops: :oops: oh man, i just saw i clicked on the wrong thread. meant to be posting on the vern thread.

i do love me some reggae though. i wear my Bob Marley: Uprising cd out

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby vicious_bastard on Sat May 27, 2006 5:14 pm

Digging that Matisyahu album at the moment - King Without A Crown is a great tune. Bit gimicky and slightly questionable politically but good tunes - he definitely means it. Nice beatboxing on Jools Holland a few weeks ago too.

Shame about Desmond Dekker's heart attack but a good opportunity for some polyunsaturated studly jokes.

If you remember that old Vitalite ad. And have a morbid sense of humour like me, of course
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby BuckyO'harre on Mon May 29, 2006 12:44 am

~
Last edited by BuckyO'harre on Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Mon May 29, 2006 1:02 am

I can't take UB40 seriously again since I heard Louis Theroux (very geeky BBC journalist) take on Red, Red Wine, rap-style. IPAMP just thinking about it...

Anyway, it looks like I've finally got someone to test out this swordsabre thing on, so I should probably thank you. Now prepare to die!
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby BuckyO'harre on Mon May 29, 2006 1:06 am

*This post dun diskapeerd.*
Last edited by BuckyO'harre on Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Black Uhuru

Postby Maui on Thu May 17, 2007 7:20 pm

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner - Black Uhuru
Slogans, Buffalo Soldier - Bob Marley
Still Searchin, Road to Zion - JR GONG Marley
Hey Baby - Stephen Marley feat. Mos Def

I just saw Damian and Stephen perform at the Fillmore in SF - what a fantastic show.

- Wowie
Maui
WoWie

Return to Music