Latest Concert Visits

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Latest Concert Visits

Postby Eric G on Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:42 pm

Looked for a thread to post this, but didn't find one; if I missed it, please lock this and point me in the right direction.

On Monday I had the pleasure of heaading over to the Hi-Fi bar in the city of Melbourne to watch the boys from Sweden rock out in "The Haunted" with special guests Exodus (U.S)

I seen these guys the first time they came out with the replacement singer, Marco Aro, and I loved them. But this time they came back with the original vocalist, Peter Dolving, and I was blown away. They sounded great! They had 1100 people crammed into a space no bigger than half a basketball court but these Swedes certainly knew how to keep the crowd pumpin. They only played 1 song from their first album, 3 from their 2nd and the rest were from the latest 2 they released. No encore; which I was dissapointed in.. (Even Bohemoth did 2 encores - but that's another gig)

These guys are the reason behind The Haunted touring. Classic trash metal band. Kinda got a bit boring towards the end, but they were good. The members came outside after their set and took some photos with the fans and signed some autographs which I thought was great.
The highlight of the Exodus set would have to be the fact that Slayer's own Paul Bostaff was on the drums. *drool*
I was in awe.....

All in all a good concert. 7 / 10
Eric G
AIRWOLF

Postby Brocktune on Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:58 pm

great thread idea, e.g.

as described in the lance henriksen did what thread, last night i was treated to a performance by tokyo's own polysics. the club was full, but not to the point of not being able to breathe, so it was nice. amazing set. very high energy. well worth the 8 bucks i paid to go. it certainly is rewarding to go to a good show. ive been to too many that were sub par. nothing beats an awesome show. i actually almost got my band to open this one last night, but i was like 5 seconds too late in submitting my bid. oh well, i suppose its for the best, because i dont think i have the objectivity to think that i would ever top opening for these guys, and therefore would be prepared for death, possibly a little prematurely. maybe next time. i am so envious of artists that do stuff that i love, but could never create myself. if i had pics, i'd post em, but alas, i do not. hmmm... maybe next time.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Eric G on Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:06 pm

Brocktune wrote:great thread idea, e.g.

as described in the lance henriksen did what thread, last night i was treated to a performance by tokyo's own polysics. the club was full, but not to the point of not being able to breathe, so it was nice. amazing set. very high energy. well worth the 8 bucks i paid to go. it certainly is rewarding to go to a good show. ive been to too many that were sub par. nothing beats an awesome show. i actually almost got my band to open this one last night, but i was like 5 seconds too late in submitting my bid. oh well, i suppose its for the best, because i dont think i have the objectivity to think that i would ever top opening for these guys, and therefore would be prepared for death, possibly a little prematurely. maybe next time. i am so envious of artists that do stuff that i love, but could never create myself. if i had pics, i'd post em, but alas, i do not. hmmm... maybe next time.

Speaking of which, hangon.....8 bucks!? Shite....I paid $53 to see haunted/exodus.

This may be a long shot Brocktune, but if you and your band members are ever down in Melbourne, let me know. Every year a friend (drummer from local band, Potential Citizens) organises a Metal festival called "The Rotting Flesh Ball", with at least 5/6 bands playing on the night. I think Dreadnaught are headling this year (not too sure if you would have heard of them) but you never know whats in the stars eh? He's always organising gigs with a minimum of 3/4 bands.
Just a passing thought.
Eric G
AIRWOLF

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:07 pm

The last great show I went to was MELT BANANA. They seriously
blew me away. Their relentless energy and outragouesly perfect
precision attacks of earsplittingly catchy artnoise nowave
J-punk was truly awe- inspiring. At the end of the set, somebody
set off a firealarm; instead of cutting the show short, they played
along with it

then the firemen showed up and the show had to end.

beautiful.
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Brocktune on Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:29 pm

eric - you bet your sweet bippy ill let you know. fuck, if we ever make it down there, ill be so fucking stoked, that (much like grande rojo finding out that pj would be directing kong) my orgasmic groan would be detectable on richter scales in australia!.
and 53 bucks?!?! fuck. they wanted me to pay 60 to see devo, and i told them to get fucked. im not quite sure of the conversion rate (i think its like 2 australian dollars to the american dollar), but that still sound like a lot. but. i find that even if its expensive, a really good show defies most price taggery.

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:At the end of the set, somebody
set off a firealarm; instead of cutting the show short, they played
along with it

then the firemen showed up and the show had to end.

beautiful.

indeed.
pure poetry.
i will be forever saddend that i was not there to experience this.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:31 pm

I saw Aerosmith with Lenny Kravitz at the Staples Center two weeks ago. Great, great show.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Eric G on Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:38 pm

And how does Mr Tyler carry himself on stage nowadays MW?
Eric G
AIRWOLF

Postby horace on Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:45 pm

I saw Clap Your Hands Say Yeah in DC last wednesday and this Sunday is The GO! Team...

CYHSY was exactly what you expected... they played every song and the concert ran 1 hour 10 minutes. They never talked but there music was fun and upbeat enough to get the lethargic indie fans at least head bobbing. worth the $15....
horace
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Brocktune on Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:21 pm

ok, so last nite was the last night of the japan nite 2006 tour at the knitting factory in hollywood. i plugged it HERE although probably later than i should have. anyway, i just wanted to say that the one band that i knew. the ones i really wanted to see, were un-fucking-believable! from listening to the record "tsu ku shi n bow", i was totally stoked on seeing them. they exceeded my expectations. the leader, trumpet player Ohyama "B.M.W" Wataru stalked the stage like miles davis, only in a kimono. the keyborad player was insane. they were all top notch musicians, who performed an absolutely smokin set. the whole show was bitchin, but these guys blew them all away. pe'z was the band that all the other bands on the tour would tell you was the one to watch. the one all the other bands are bummed that they cant be. they even opened their set with a cover of masaru sato's theme from "Yojimbo". i was ecstatic. they started playing it, and i was like, wait minute, i know this song. THATS YOJIMBO!!!!!!!!. i was geeking out hardcore. i actually had thought about trying to get my band to cover that song. after seeing these guys do it, forget it. there is no way we would ever do it the justice it deserves. the way they did it. "Samurai Jazz"? ill buy that for a dollar! i hope they are able to come back and play here in the us again. if i never see these guys play again, my life will be a dark shallow existance.... well, more than it already is.

PE'Z

Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Eric G on Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:23 pm

Hahaha! Crazy Japs. Bare footed, on a stage in a kimono playin a trumpet! Fuckin rockin!

Sounds like a pretty cool gig Brocktune. How was the crowd?

EDIT:
jgraphix wrote:I just bought my tickets for a May 5th Coheed and Cambria show at this sweet little club in town.

Cool. Let us know how it goes.
Eric G
AIRWOLF

Postby jgraphix on Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:25 pm

I just bought my tickets for a May 5th Coheed and Cambria show at this sweet little club in town.
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby Vegeta on Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:32 pm

I just saw Wilco at the Valair Ballroom in Des Moines, IA March 10th. It was the last show of there tour, they played 2 encores! It was an excellent show, I would highly recommend seeing them live if you get the opportunity.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Brocktune on Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:36 pm

Eric G wrote:How was the crowd?

small, but excited. the club probably holds 300 to 400 people. i would say there was 150 people absolute tops. and that includes all the guys from all 5 bands, and all of the road crew. the crowd really gave it up though. there was actually a pretty mean pit during the Stance Punks's set. i would say comfortable and energetic was the best way to describe the crowd.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby jgraphix on Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:37 pm

So where can I get thier album or download some mp3's?
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby Eric G on Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:53 pm

Brocktune wrote:
Eric G wrote:How was the crowd?

small, but excited. the club probably holds 300 to 400 people. i would say there was 150 people absolute tops. and that includes all the guys from all 5 bands, and all of the road crew. the crowd really gave it up though. there was actually a pretty mean pit during the Stance Punks's set. i would say comfortable and energetic was the best way to describe the crowd.

I like those gigs. Small/Personal. I like talking to the band and gettin news and info and just bullshit really, and its heaps easier to do that at those types of gigs.
Eric G
AIRWOLF

Postby Brocktune on Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:10 pm

jgraphix wrote:So where can I get thier album or download some mp3's?

if you are talking about pe'z, i found one of their records on the torrents, but if you click their name on my review post, that will take you to their website where they may have some samples. thats the trouble with liking music from other countries. it can be extremely difficult and/or costly to find their music over here. but i usually find that the extra effort ends up being worth it.

Eric G wrote:I like those gigs. Small/Personal. I like talking to the band and gettin news and info and just bullshit really, and its heaps easier to do that at those types of gigs.

totally. thats the only way to go. i was just a little bummed though, because when they dont speak english, and i dont speak japanese, its really difficult to tell somebody you just saw how amazing they were, othere than maybe a thumbs up or some shit like that. time to learn japanese.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Eric G on Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:16 pm

Brocktune wrote:totally. thats the only way to go. i was just a little bummed though, because when they dont speak english, and i dont speak japanese, its really difficult to tell somebody you just saw how amazing they were, othere than maybe a thumbs up or some shit like that. time to learn japanese.

Yeah, that'd suck. I've never really had that problem. Closest would be a band from Norway...or Sweden....can't remember the name; a mate dragged me along. But I was glad he did...they were insane.
Eric G
AIRWOLF

Postby girlkaz on Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:34 am

I'm going to see The Kooks on Monday.
8)
girlkaz
GLIB

Postby sleepflower on Mon May 01, 2006 3:52 am

Saw Sigur Ros a couple of months ago, was simply amazing.

The gig started with a screen in front of the entire stage, red blobs flashing in some kind of electronic interference. Became more like static, as lights came up behind it, ypu culd see the band, but they also cast shadows, about 3 per memeber which all moved and went on and off. After the first track, this was lifted.

They had a brass section and a strings section both on stage with them, about 10 members in total not including the band.

The Singer/guitarist played his guitar with a bow on every track, giving that amazing sound.

At on point, when the brass section only had to be on stage for a minute of the song, the marched across in full marching gear.

The band didnt seem to take it al too seriously, with a little comment and improv when something stopped working, though other than that, no talking really.

The end of the gig was just a track that built and built and built, louder and consistently more pounding, as the screen came down and had the shadows and loads of static and analogue interference and images from the artwork and faces and crazy stuff getting faster with the heavier beats, just becoming the loudest sound ever. The screen is so big it fills your peripheral vision.

The drummer, to see him, was astounding, not just the speed at which he can play, but the control, the little beats and rumbles in there between him beating away, simply outstanding, surely the greatest drummeer I have ever seen (he also played a coule of other instruments).

After the gig I bought some T-shirts as usual in the front, then aw a sign for something called toothfaeries..

Upstairs was the drummers wife (a quiet icelandic lady) who hand made a load of custom one off sigur ros memorabilia. Hand painted tshits and hoodies, screen printed original artwork for my wall. The only thing you can get off the website is the screen printed moleskin notebook. All sorts of stuff. She is a real talent.
The Noblest Pleasure is The Joy of Understanding
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu May 04, 2006 11:13 pm

caught Ghostface Killah, with opener M1 of Dead Prez a couple weeks back. Good show, the collegiate crowd was energetic, M1 smoked a joint someone passed him and Ghostface was, as usual, his brilliant self. Highlight of the night was him asking the ladies of the crowd to join him onstage for an A capella rendition of "Wildflower" hello irony!) which then segued into his ode to girls (not) going wild "Big Girl". Good to see the Wu name still represented by it's best rapper, still going strong at 35.

was gonna say something the other night about catching Art Brut, but there were 10,000 n00bs online responding to Mori's link on the main page. So I'll say it now.

If you go to an Art Brut show, be prepared to laugh. The band that hammers home some of the greatest pop-punk riffs since Pinkerton, the band that dubs itself "outsider art" is the exact opposite. Eddie Argos knows that everything is stage/contrived, and he revels in it. Sporting a pink(!) button down that didn't quite cover up his burgeoning beer belly when he stretched his arms up over his head, at one point coming down to serenade the crowd (and methinks scope out the single ladies), changing the words to several songs ("Emily Kane" had the band come to a complete stop for Eddie to explain that this was supposed to be a sad, rueful song, but has now instead become a peon to "love, love at 15"). My special lady commented at one point about the jokey nature of the experience, my response was, well, are YOU in on it? But while Argos is pulling his shtick, you can't not groove to one tight mofuckin' band. The drummer pounds, the dueling guitarists lines cross and intermingle until one of them explodes, and the cute chick bassist does what all cute chick bassists do...look cute while supplying the rhythm for Eddie's talk-sing approach.

Best thing of the night was that the new tunes sound BETTER than the album.

They may be a "joke" band, but a joke band that takes the music seriously, a joke band who's getting better. Can't wait for the new one.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Eric G on Fri May 05, 2006 12:25 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:and the cute chick bassist does what all cute chick bassists do...look cute while supplying the rhythm for Eddie's talk-sing approach.

Nice.
You've just descibed 9 out of 10 female bassist I've seen in male bands.
Though i did see a local band called Resistica last week. They are the exception cause there all female barr the drummer and I tell you what....she could give some male death metal vocalists a run for their money. Watching her spew out gut wrenching growls and screams made me all hot and bothered.
Needles to say; I liked watching them. I don't really remember how good the music was....but I liked to watch them.
Eric G
AIRWOLF

Postby sleepflower on Fri May 05, 2006 2:55 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:Best thing of the night was that the new tunes sound BETTER than the album.

They may be a "joke" band, but a joke band that takes the music seriously, a joke band who's getting better. Can't wait for the new one.

Not sure who is writing the music, as the original guitarist who wrote all the music departed the band a few months back.
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri May 05, 2006 6:21 am

sleepflower wrote:
Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Best thing of the night was that the new tunes sound BETTER than the album.

Not sure who is writing the music, as the original guitarist who wrote all the music departed the band a few months back.

well, Jasper Future is the "new guitarist", with Ian moving up to lead guitar.

I'm just gonna hazard a guess and say it's a collaboration between the members, keeping them busy on the hard, brutal road that is touring.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Psyz on Fri May 05, 2006 9:01 am

How did I miss this thread?

It's been a little bit since my last show, which was Rev Horton Heat and the Legendary Shack Shakers here at a new venue in Vegas, the Celebrity in the Freemont experiece part of town. It was a little odd being in a club with carpet...an idea I'm sure has gone to the way side by now considering the amount of broken bottles and spilled beer I saw on exiting the club after the set.

I think there's three elements needed for a great club show, good band foremost, great crowd, and of course a good bar. Great bands, great bar, crowd started ok, got great, then back to passable towards the end. Seems the new breed of "Rockabilly Cats" are kinda jaded. But the bartender nearly sent myself and my brother into a coma with something called Long Island Iced Tea: Tokyo Style. Cup + Ice + Liquor = Long Island Iced Tea: Tokyo Style. The shack shakers are very much a throwback Rockabilly act and put a lot into every song, nearly to the point of falling over them selves by the end of the set.

The Rev came out and blew it out the back wall though. If you haven't seen the Rev yet...what the fuck is wrong with you? These three guys are just amazing, energy, talent, presence...the whole package. It helps that the Rev himself has found himself of late re-inspired due to some personal tragedies, and it does nothing but improve his already amazing live stage performance. Which was funny because fans of the Rev know he usually plays a pretty simillar set, which he addressed on stage early on. Mentioning the people who post on their web site and MySpace complaining that they play the same thing at every show, to which the Rev replied by calling bullshit and doing AN ALL REQUEST SET! Something nobody in music really does anymore.

A close friend of mine who works as a cowboy in the summer time taking supplies and tourists into the back country of Yosmite California really wanted to hear "Interracial Homo Cowboy Love" for whatever reason, and got his wish in the encore thanks to some drunken pleading with the Revrend's stage manager. Anyways, I went on far too much, go see the Rev. He is always on tour, check the MySpace for the dates.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Brocktune on Fri May 05, 2006 1:29 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:Good to see the Wu name still represented by it's best rapper, still going strong at 35

just to clarify...

of course you meant by it's best living rapper, right?

Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Fri May 05, 2006 1:48 pm

Caught Wolfmother at The Drunken Unicorn here in the ATL recently, frigging sick. They are coming back June 8, The Loft at Earthlink Live, and I will certainly be there.

Also, their album just dropped, get it if you like things that are awesome.

http://www.wolfmother.com/2005.html
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby EWS on Tue May 09, 2006 8:09 am

I was at the first official gig of Eric Claptons 2006/2007 world tour last night and let me just say, he is the greatest guitarist ever!
monorail77 wrote:I officially vote EWS as way fucking coolest guy in the Zone

You know it makes sense!
Find out why
Remember, your new thread always belongs somewhere else!
EWS
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby brabs on Fri May 26, 2006 12:01 am

Anybody going to any festivals this year?
brabs
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Seppuku on Fri May 26, 2006 12:28 am

I'd usually hit the festivals- I normally get into Glastonbury for free by doing some fire swinging, but it's not on this year- but I was too late in scooping-up those tickets.

I got to see Guitar Vader for the second time yesterday though, so I guess that's some consolation. And once again they played at the club on the end of my street, and once again I got to meet them afterwards (yay, they recognised me!). Very cool guys, and their English has come along leaps and bounds since last we spoke. The best part was when the lead singer stood on top of the giant amps and tripped over a wire, falling off...luckily he didn't injure himself. Unlike me, I got sucked into a dangerous mosh that seemed to emerge out of nowhere and got kicked in the head. Don't worry though, I gave as good as I got.

That was a great night.
Last edited by Seppuku on Tue May 30, 2006 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri May 26, 2006 1:22 am

I was SUPPOSED to go to Sasquatch, but my friends wussed out. Here's what I'm missing, it's this weekend:

Friday: Nine Inch Nails, Bauhaus, HIM, TV On The Radio, …And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead, Wolfmother, deadboy & The Elephantmen, The Trucks

Saturday Mainstage: BEN HARPER & The Innocent Criminals, The Flaming Lips, The Shins, The Tragically Hip, Neko Case, Iron & Wine, Sufjan Stevens, Gomez, Rogue Wave Wookie: Sam Roberts, Constantines, Architecture In Helsinki, Bedouin Soundclash, Band of Horses, Stephen Malkmus and The Jicks, Matt Costa, Yeti: Tim Seely, Korby Lenker, Common Market, Slender Means, David Ford, Elvis Perkins, Brett Dennen,

Sunday Mainstage: Beck, Death Cab For Cutie, Queens of the Stone Age, Matisyahu, The Decemberists, Nada Surf, Arctic Monkeys, Pretty Girls Make Graves, Blue Scholars Wookie: Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, We Are Scientists, Chad Vangaalen, The Heavenly States, Damien Jurado, Jamie Liddell, Ben Lee Yeti: Rocky Votolato, Laura Veirs, Mercir, The Village Green, Headphones, Big Japan, Big City Rock

I'm a little grumpy about it.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Brocktune on Fri May 26, 2006 2:56 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:I got to see Guitar Wolf for the second time yesterday though, so I guess that's some consolation. And once again they played at the club on the end of my street, and once again I got to meet them afterwards (yay, they recognised me!). Very cool guys, and their English has come along leaps and bounds since last we spoke. The best part was when the lead singer stood on top of the giant amps and tripped over a wire, falling off...luckily he didn't injure himself. Unlike me, I got sucked into a dangerous mosh that seemed to emerge out of nowhere and got kicked in the head. Don't worry though, I gave as good as I got.

That was a great night.

guitar wolf fuckin rules!!!!

can-nana can-nana can-nana can-nana fevah!
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:39 am

Liars - Bottom of the Hill, SF.

Stunning.

When the double drum attack of "Drum and the Uncomfortable Can" OPENED the fucking show, I thought they might've shot their load early; where do you go from the heaviest sonic assault and battery of your latest I was wondering as charismatic Aussie circa LA art student circa Brooklynite and current Berliner Angus Andrew started shredding away on his axe, all 6'5 of his wiry frame snugly wrapped in a Dickies jumpsuit.

Well you go and fucking pwn an audience of jaded scenesters with a dazzling array of sonic assaults that don't forget to bring the melodic elixir to help the cacaphony go down (relatively) smoothly.

Appropriately for an album titled Drums Not Dead, Julian Gross channeled animal in all his percussive glory, shredding his kit and his original pink jumpsuit to reveal a Fila bodysuit underneath; by the end of the night dude was in a tight little gold lame dress, still hammering away in a performance good 'ol JBonham would've smiled upon. All around sonic virtuoso Aaron Hemphill was the only one not changing clothes, what with being the second drummer, sometime bassist, sometime guitarist, sometime singer, constant knob tweaker and feedback freakshow.

The best album of the year (so far), performed admirably by a band that's blossoming.

Can't ask for more than that.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby sleepflower on Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:32 am

Last night I saw the Who, amazing gig. Ocean colour scene, Razorlight, Primal Scream and the utons supported, amongst other. Was amazing.

The night before was Roger waters doing dark side of the moon, with the pink floyd drummer.

Amazing show. A 3 hour set. Texas, Breaks co-op, Starsailor and loads others again supported.

Great day out in the sun, loads of weird troll things walking around, sculptures and stuff, all really good.

They had the football on near the main stage, which made it hard for the bands, though they did a good job.

The highlight for me though was seeing the lightning seeds, I had wanted to see them for 10 years, an accident prevented me from doing so in 96.

After we went out in the football, they were the first band I saw. At the end of the set, he got rid of all the band and played Three Lions, on his ow, with the crowd singing, men crying. Was beautiful and sad all at once. The only thing that could lift at that moment was the hope.

Ian Broudie is a legend.

He also started the set late cos of the football. A great man who wont come out til he has seen the final kick.

Hyde Park, good venue overall.

Tonight... The Pipettes!
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

Postby Proinsias on Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:36 am

You were at Hyde Park Sleep ?, so was I!, shoulda called. :x
Proinsias
REAL DRAGON

Postby sleepflower on Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:38 am

You were there both days? My phone had little credit. Besides, you're never outside!

Didn't know you were going. Lugz knew I was going, so did Papa. I been going on about it for ages, even on the forum, was trying to get people to go.

Oh and what did you think?
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

Postby silentbobafett on Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:45 am

Saw Foo, Jullette (lewis) and the Licks, Queens of the Stone Age at Hyde Park lil while back
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby Proinsias on Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:54 am

Shockingly hot. Saw the Zutons, Razorlight and The Who, with Razorlight and the Who being the highlights, both awsome live though i expected the who to be a lot louder, they seemed to stroll through the songs, not kick arse like they did at live8. Just went to yesterdays, oh and ocean colour scene were funny, though i thought they were like fertiliser for the potato that is paul weller now, arent they all his backing band?..good food, margharitas for £2?, yes please. Strange thing is, all the cuntish pushers and shovers were middle aged women...
Proinsias
REAL DRAGON

Postby sleepflower on Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:13 pm

Was indeed boiling hot, the day before I drank 5 litres of water.

I still thought the Who rocked out.

Marrgaritas? I didn't drink all weekend.

Im quite a fan of OCS, though I missed them. They were the first band I ever saw live.
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

Postby mistertim on Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:31 am

Last Wednesday - Les Georges Leningrad and Crystal Castles
"That's why they sent me I am an expert."
mistertim
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby sleepflower on Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:21 am

Not sure I mentioned, but the pipettes I saw on like the 3rd of this month. I love them. They dance so well, hve voices of angels and the lyrics are fun.

Great gig, up close at Kings college SU.

Oh and they are performing at HMV Oxford street monday 17th.

And around the country. You must go. The gig I went was a sell out.
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

Postby Brocktune on Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:27 pm

well i havent been yet, but i thought that starting a "concerts that you are going to but havent happend yet" thread seemed a little stupid. so anyways, i just secured my fuckin tickets an hour or two ago in an internet presale.
tuesday Oct 17th
The Grove of Anaheim

THE POGUES
full original lineup.
yup, shane motherfucking macgowan will be in the house.

not that he is the only one worth seeing, but come on. if shane aint there, it aint the pogues.
i swore i would go to my grave never having seen these guys. i am giving praise to every deity i can name right now. thank you o gods for blessing me with the opportunity to see these legends. my tix are GA and in the front section! im fucking tying one on that night for sure! assuming of course that shane doesnt drop dead before the gig. they may not be quite the same as if i had've got to see them back in the day, but ill fuckin take it anyway! heres the full u.s. schedule:
* Monday, October 9, San Francisco, The Fillmore
* Tuesday, October 10, San Francisco, The Fillmore
* Saturday, October 14, Las Vegas, The House of Blues
* Sunday, October 15, Las Vegas, The House of Blues
* Tuesday, October 17, Anaheim, The Grove
* Wednesday, October 18, Los Angeles, The Wiltern
* Thursday, October 19, Los Angeles, The Wiltern
* Friday, October 20, Los Angeles, The Wiltern*

this is gonna be too awesome!

it seems as if october is a good month for concerts, for on saturday oct 28th, canadian artcore legends, NOMEANSNO are playing here in town, in support of their brand new record "All Roads Lead to Ausfahrt".

if you dont know who NOMEANSNO are, its time to find out. these guys combined the raw energy of punk, with intelligence! and they can actually play too!!! i know what you're thinking. you're thinking "OMG, is that even fucking possible?" well, it is when nomeansno is in the house. i got hooked on their immortal classic WRONG after seeing them play with Mr. Bungle at their new years eve show at the galleria in san francisco for the new millennium. i didnt know who they were then, but they blew me the fuck away, instantly. then i got into their stuff, and i have lamented for 6.5 years that they were another band that i got into a day too late. not anymore. i got my tix, and im fucking pumped to see these guys! i dont know if there are any other fans here in the zone, but if there are, strong work, dudes! hopefully, i will return after these shows with many pictures. i just gotta get myself a cell phone with a camera. or a press pass. king psyz, if you want to offer any advice as to how to get press access to bands at shows, feel free to lay it on me!

i am as happy as a little girl right now!
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Psyz on Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:30 pm

in two weeks I'll be posting about the Tribe Called Quest reunion show here in Vegas.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby banthafodderUK on Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:43 am

After tonight I can post my experience at tonight's Roliing Stones gig!!!!!!!!!!
wii code 0186 4330 3469 8398 use it mofo's!
banthafodderUK
AIRWOLF

Postby sleepflower on Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:12 am

Leeds festival... Oh my fucking god. What DIDNT we do. sunday morning was spent reminding me what I didnt remember. Greatest atmosphere ever.
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

Postby banthafodderUK on Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:20 am

sleepflower wrote:Leeds festival... Oh my fucking god. What DIDNT we do. sunday morning was spent reminding me what I didnt remember. Greatest atmosphere ever.

fucking cool
wii code 0186 4330 3469 8398 use it mofo's!
banthafodderUK
AIRWOLF

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:45 pm

Went to the V festival the weekend before last and managed to blag my way into seeing the Charlatans doing an acoustic set. Also saw the man god that is Paul Weller.

Can't wait for next year when Glastonbury will be back.
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:56 pm

I saw Dave Matthews last night at the Hollywood Bowl. First time seeing him, first time at the Bowl. Great venue. I was surprisingly underwhelmed by the show.

I love me some Dave Matthews and they sounded great, but I'm just not into the jam band thing, I guess. DMB have about 20-30 songs I either like a great deal or outright love, and they played maybe three of them throughout the course of the night. Instead they played some new stuff and some waaaaaay old album tracks, and jammed them out for ten minutes apiece. I love when bands play with their songs, when they dip into one and out of another--all that stuff. But playing the same sequence over and over for five minutes isn't interesting to me. It was fun for a bit, but I say cut out twenty minutes of jamming and give me five, six more songs.

Anyway, I'm sure I'd love the show more if the set list was better and if the booze wasn't so expensive, but it was a decent enough time.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby sleepflower on Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:17 am

Another gig to be going to!!!

Right anyone who wants to go, let me know, I have free accomadation.

KASABIAN - Leicester, De Montfort Hall

Hometown gig in a small small venue.

Going to be amazing, and possibly emotional for me, as I am a Leicester boy going back home to see an amazing band I missed seeing last year.

Anyone up for it?
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:30 am

The Hold Steady, Sean Na Na, Black Fur. Great American Music Hall, SF.

missed most of Black Fur whilst getting high and listening to the Mets lose game 5. From what I did hear, not bad, not bad at all.

Sean Na Na was pretty good, not the vocal harmonies that the name would lead one to expect, just some solid rock 'n roll that even while being a tad too beholden of its influences, nonetheless works. Aided greatly by the charismatic Sean himself, a fugly 5'8'' pug whose smug stage banter totally played against type...I loved him for it. Great pipes for a wee-man to boot. If you ever get a chance, check 'em out, they'll play their heart out for you.

And then the headliners just tore the place up. I've seen the Hold Steady twice now, and they do not disappoint. Say what you will about Craig's voice, but he's a charismatic frontman, gotta adore his dorky dance moves, ditto his what looks like spastic mouthing of lyrics he just sung. That's right Finnatics, sung. I don't think Craig's smoking anymore, his voice was much stronger than the last time I saw him and leaps and bounds improved from his Lifter-Puller days.

Speaking of Lifter-Puller, the one holdover aside from Finn, lead guitarist Tad Kubler, once again showed why he's one of the most underappreciated guitarists in rock. Man has always impressed me, from the post-punk Gang of Four riffs from Puller on, but now he's on a different plane. Mofo busted out one of those Van Halen doublenecks at one point...a DOUBLENECK AT AN INDIE SHOW! The balls on that fuck! I'm sure he could give a fuck, seeing how he once again had his trusty bottle of Beam with him...

What really wowed me at this show was the rest of the band, how tight and just plain well they play off each other. Bobby Drake can drum! You might not catch it on the albums, but he can do a Bonham stomp, the Moon pomp, the whatever the fuck witty word play can go with Cheap Trick and Boston's drummer...man can play, 'nuff said. The bassist is cute, which, far as I can tell, is what most adequate bassists should be.

And then there's the immaculately dressed (Purple shirt! Suspenders!), coolest mustache in indie rock having Franz Nicolay on the keys. Classy and cheesy all rolled into one. Tad flat out blew him away at times, and while the interplay between the two so present on the album was at times swamped in the mix, there were times when it shined.

Good band, go throw down a couple, smoke a fatty, do whatever it is you do to get in the mood for a kickass rock show and go. Beats staying at home, loser.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:51 pm

The Pogues
Tuesday Oct 17th
The Grove
Anaheim Ca

the show was supposed to start at 8. we got to the venue about 830. i knew there was one opening act, so we sat in the car for a bit. sapped a beer, took a sip or two off the flask, and puffed a studly one before we went in. once our tix were torn, we stopped for a smoke, then got in line to buy a couple of drinks, then headed into the hall.
in case you have never been, let me tell you that with the exception of tiny bathrooms, and way too high ticket prices, the Grove of Anaheim is a really nice venue. decent sound, great lighting, general admission, good crowds. i had told my gf that we would be standing right in the very fucking front. she lamented that she didnt want to stand right in the front, on account of the heat and the mosh pits. i didnt want her to have a bad time, so i agreed, and we stood in the second section back from the stage. it was perfect. we managed to work our way up to the front wall of this second section, so nobody was in front of us, and we had a perfect view of the stage.
not more than 5 minutes after we pick our spots, the fucking pogues come on. every drink in the house was immediately thrust up in the air as soon as shane started shambling towards the mic stand. i was giddy as fuck. HE'S HERE!!! HE IS ACTUALLY FUCKING HERE!! the motherfucking, soon to be dead, legend Shane motherfucking MacGowan and the rest of the original lineup (sans cait o'riordan) right in front of my eyes.
it was amazing. these guys are all amazing musicians, and it shows. i was in music geek heaven looking at the instrumentation on stage. drums, guitar, and bass, of course. but i dont get to too many shows that feature the accordion, bass mandolin, cittern, and banjo so prominently. but the best thing was that they all were having a good time, and loving every minute of it. they were all getting along! it was amazing watching these guys that had this incredible and tumultuous history together get on stage 10 years later, and pick up like they never stopped, or never had problems. they seemd to be having as good a time, if not better, than the audience. and that energy and feeling totally transfers itself into the crowd. watching spider stacy and shane hitting themselves over the head with beertrays and the like during "Fiesta", or watching james fearnley play the shit out of that accordion, and jumping around on stage like he was the very pulse of the whole band was something i will never forget as long as i live. when they played "fairytale of new york", it was one of the most beautiful performances ive ever seen given on stage by a band. even in his dilapidated condition, shanes vocals were amazing. originally, the song was a duet with kristy maccoll. but she is dead now. so instead, they had this raven haired chanteuse, dolled up like she was from the 50's (more of a rockabilly look, than a poodle skirt look) to sing her part with shane. i dont know her name. i wish i did, she was great. but towards the end of the song, snow started falling on stage, and shane and this girl danced together while the rest of the band played, and the snow fell. and while it might have been humorous to some to watch shane try to be nimble enough to pull off the dance. i was almost moved to tears. it was kind of like the last episode of the first season of "Deadwood" where the doc dances with the gimp, and al swearengen looks on. the spirit and vibe in the crowd, and on the stage was so amazing. im sure thats part of why i found their dance to be so touching. i was moved the entire night. they played a ton of my faves. the sickbed of cuchulainn, sally maclennane, white city, sayonara, etc. they did two encores. awesome! the crowd was amazing, save for a fight or two down in the front, which we were fortunate to be able to watch without having to participate. which i actually quite enjoyed, as what tradtitional irish music gig would be complete without a good brawl or two, and streams of whiskey a flowin'? everyone was singing along, helping shane when he fucked up. periodically, shane took a break from singing for a song, to let one of the other guys have a go at a tune. after the song, he would come back out, with a full cup of gin and tonic, and a fresh Smokey Thingie. i think at one point or another, every one of them smoked on stage. but shane was the only one that smoked the entire time. the place was actually filled with smoke. it was almost like i had been magically transported back to the UK. between the smell of the smoke, and the booze, and the wonderful music being played, it was like i was there, not here. this was absolutely the best fucking show i have been to in a long time. its one of those that i will never forget. there arent a whole lot of shows where you get that feeling. i cant describe it exactly, but its like a feeling of rightness, and belonging. its like when you and your significant other cum together during sex. there is just this energy and emotion that comes from the stage, and spreads through the crowd. you get like this amazing high, and you never want that show to end. there is something amazingly cathartic about screaming yourself hoarse, and/or singing a song that really means something to you with a ton of other people who feel the same way. i kept getting all goosebumpy, and i couldnt keep the smile off my face. i felt like a victim of the jokers "smilex" from Burton's Batman. too often, things happen at shows that can take you out of them mentally, (or physically too, i suppose), or a lot of times, you arent emotionally in just the right place, (or the band, or the rest of the crowd for that matter) to allow yourself to get there. but every now and again, you just luck out. its like the planets aligning or something. you are in exactly the same place as everyone else, psychologically, and everything just clicks. i can count the number of shows that i have been to that were orgasmic (for lack of a better term) like this on two hands. the first time i saw Oingo Boingo was another one. i would say that i wish every show could be like this. that every show could be this good. but then, it wouldnt be as satisfying or as meaningful when they did happen, would it? i walked out of the building in awe. i know i griped about the lofty price of the tickets, but afterwards, there were no regrets. it hurt me pretty bad in the wallet to go, but there will never be so much as a whim of regret. every single penny was well spent. thank god for the Pogues. thank fucking god for em.

i have a couple of pics of the show. but before you all chide me for their crappiness, let me make an excuse or two. first, security was extremely tight. everytime i would see someone snapping pics, 2 seconds later, staff pro decended upon them like locusts, confiscating thier shit, or just ejecting them outright. so we waited until the end to try to snap a few. but we were trying to stay covert at the same time, and so they didnt turn out too good. also, my brother (who took em) is a photo guy, and he also added that the distance from the stage, and the inherent lighting, and the numerous objects (peoples heads and arms and stuff) in between the camera and its subject would throw the focus off. so when you look at these pics, just pretend that you are at the show, only completely shit faced, if that were the case, im sure that these pics are how the shit would have looked anyways.

Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Next

Return to Music