Latest Concert Visits

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Postby tapehead on Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:30 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:da mn i meant to post this but forgot.

i went to see the decemberists this past saturday at merriweather post pavilion in columbia, md. they were great, blah blah blah...

but what i really meant to mention was, sitting right in front of me was a girl who i swear looked EXACTLY like tangerine. same hair, same glasses, same looking face. but tangerine is in the UK isn't she? so i don't know what she would be doing in columbia, md. but it looked SO MUCH like her. could she be vacationing in DC? has she even been around the zone lately? i couldn't hear her say anything, so i couldn't pick out a british accent. probably just mistaken identity, but wouldn't that be freaky if it was really her? a random zoner encounter in the real world? i thought about yelling out "TANGERINE!" to see if she turned around, but that might've made me look weird.

I was supposed to be at that show but had to attend a wedding instead.

Tange is Swedish, and so is her accent, but only a bit - damn man, you should have called out - If it wasn't her, people would have just thought you were the kind of guy to get passionate about fruit. Last I heard from Kirks she's still living in London.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby DennisMM on Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:39 pm

Try yelling out her real name.

Oh, I forgot ... you don't know it. ;)
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby tapehead on Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:42 pm

Who, me? I knew Tange in real life Dennis.

Tangerine ir Tange would have done the trick.
Last edited by tapehead on Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby DennisMM on Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:44 pm

Just a joke, of course. The UK meet-up regulars know her name. naturally, but I doubt many others on this board do.

I am the polar opposite of Brocktune when it comes to concert seating. First, I dislike festival/general admission seating, because even if there are chairs up front people push them out of the way to stand/bounce/dance. Second, I paid $50-100 to hear and see the performers, not to watch you run around and hear you shout at your friends. Shut up and sit down.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Chilli on Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:55 pm

Ah man, went to see The Magic Numbers a few weeks back. I went solo in point of fact. Its a small town, my mates were off in God knows where and I was bored. So I paid £15 for a ticket. Waited till the day'd come nice and patiently. Then I catch the last few Heroes eps, right up to 1x23, and they kick my ass, the fuckers floor me. So I have one ep left, and I have this concert to go to. That sets me off badly, because I'm conflicted between enjoying this band who have one song I know, and waiting to see whether the Heroes finale kicks ass (short answer - it did, but that's another tale.)

So I head off at 6pm to go to the concert. I figure the doors opening at 7 means the doors inside to the hall, so I head down to go in. Get to the main doors, won't be let in. I'm incredulous because its cold and I have a coat on, so I ask why. They say no doors open till 7pm. That pisses me off because, like I said, its cold, and the place should be open at this point anyway. They don't buy it, so I say 'fuck-it' and go to the pub next door. Order and orange, watch sky news, generally chill. Then, at 7pm, I go to the place to see the band.

The bastards are running late, so I have even more time to wait. While there I meet an old school pal and chill nostalgic for a while. Then we get let in. So I'm chilling, when it dawns on me that The Magic Numbers are two hours from showing up. That gets my goat because they have one fucking song I came for, and now I gotta sit through an hour wait for a shitty warm-up band and then another hour of their 'tunes' before the band who have one song I like show up. Being on my own, I spend a lot of time sitting in the corner, making eye contact with girls who look suspiciously wankered for 7:15 in the pm.

I ditch my coat/bag downstairs into the cloak-room, and finally 8pm hits. With my huge fuck-off container of lemonade, I go in to the doors to see the warm-up band. For some fucking reason I stand by the amp, and their 'musical genius' causes me to grimace in pain, as they butcher chords and lyrics like they were gone-off cuts of pork, to the extent that I mutter 'fuck-this' and go sit in the lobby area. There I make more eye contact with drunk chicks, as well as a pair of assholes who strike me as being rather into the 'fey-punk' movement.

Finally, 9pm hits, and The Magic Numbers show up. By this point I'm pissed off and really, really tired. The drunk girls are shooting me evil eyes, and I keep noticing the 'fey-punks' checking me out with the corners of their eyes. I may be shit with the chicks, but that's due to being an absolute cretinous toss-pot. So I'm watching The Magic Numbers, or rather listening to their music because they don't want to come out and play just yet. I'm grooving to it, when one of the 'fey-punks' grabs my shoulders and says 'Hello' in a way that would make Lionel Ritchie go 'DAMN BOY, YOU MAKE ME LOOK STUDLY', and causes me to loudly say 'get the fuck off me' in a voice only moderately more masculine than a squeaking mouse.

So I push past the chuckle-brothers of the punk world, and go to the other part of the venue. I listen to The Magic Numbers for twenty minutes, chilling, until the one song I know hits. Needless to say, I sing along and promptly get looks of amused disgust from the female populace who'd care for Madonna to give them style advice. But I could give a shit, I'm a naturally dorky guy and I like chilling out. Then the song ends, and they chatter for a second, ready to do the next one.

I'm not there to see it, I grab my coat and bag from the cloak-room and promptly drag my ass back home.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:00 pm

Chilli wrote:Ah man, went to see The Magic Numbers a few weeks back. I went solo in point of fact. Its a small town, my mates were off in God knows where and I was bored. So I paid £15 for a ticket. Waited till the day'd come nice and patiently. Then I catch the last few Heroes eps, right up to 1x23, and they kick my ass, the fuckers floor me. So I have one ep left, and I have this concert to go to. That sets me off badly, because I'm conflicted between enjoying this band who have one song I know, and waiting to see whether the Heroes finale kicks ass (short answer - it did, but that's another tale.)

So I head off at 6pm to go to the concert. I figure the doors opening at 7 means the doors inside to the hall, so I head down to go in. Get to the main doors, won't be let in. I'm incredulous because its cold and I have a coat on, so I ask why. They say no doors open till 7pm. That pisses me off because, like I said, its cold, and the place should be open at this point anyway. They don't buy it, so I say 'fuck-it' and go to the pub next door. Order and orange, watch sky news, generally chill. Then, at 7pm, I go to the place to see the band.

The bastards are running late, so I have even more time to wait. While there I meet an old school pal and chill nostalgic for a while. Then we get let in. So I'm chilling, when it dawns on me that The Magic Numbers are two hours from showing up. That gets my goat because they have one fucking song I came for, and now I gotta sit through an hour wait for a shitty warm-up band and then another hour of their 'tunes' before the band who have one song I like show up. Being on my own, I spend a lot of time sitting in the corner, making eye contact with girls who look suspiciously wankered for 7:15 in the pm.

I ditch my coat/bag downstairs into the cloak-room, and finally 8pm hits. With my huge fuck-off container of lemonade, I go in to the doors to see the warm-up band. For some fucking reason I stand by the amp, and their 'musical genius' causes me to grimace in pain, as they butcher chords and lyrics like they were gone-off cuts of pork, to the extent that I mutter 'fuck-this' and go sit in the lobby area. There I make more eye contact with drunk chicks, as well as a pair of assholes who strike me as being rather into the 'fey-punk' movement.

Finally, 9pm hits, and The Magic Numbers show up. By this point I'm pissed off and really, really tired. The drunk girls are shooting me evil eyes, and I keep noticing the 'fey-punks' checking me out with the corners of their eyes. I may be shit with the chicks, but that's due to being an absolute cretinous toss-pot. So I'm watching The Magic Numbers, or rather listening to their music because they don't want to come out and play just yet. I'm grooving to it, when one of the 'fey-punks' grabs my shoulders and says 'Hello' in a way that would make Lionel Ritchie go 'DAMN BOY, YOU MAKE ME LOOK STUDLY', and causes me to loudly say 'get the fuck off me' in a voice only moderately more masculine than a squeaking mouse.

So I push past the chuckle-brothers of the punk world, and go to the other part of the venue. I listen to The Magic Numbers for twenty minutes, chilling, until the one song I know hits. Needless to say, I sing along and promptly get looks of amused disgust from the female populace who'd care for Madonna to give them style advice. But I could give a shit, I'm a naturally dorky guy and I like chilling out. Then the song ends, and they chatter for a second, ready to do the next one.

I'm not there to see it, I grab my coat and bag from the cloak-room and promptly drag my ass back home.

Way to make the most of the situation ;) HAHA
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Chilli on Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:02 pm

The concert wasn't that bad, but going solo sucked ass. To make things worse, my poor track-record with chicks is amplified when they show up to these things in groups, because then I have to charm multiple people, and my charm skills aren't that polished.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby TonyWilson on Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:04 pm

It's like a report from Misanthropist Monthly.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:06 pm

The shows I've been to since Feb.

1. Lily Allen
2. Mew, Oh No! Oh My!
3. Battles, The Twilight Sad, Mary Timony Band
4. Black Lips, The Ponys, Panthers
5. Menomena, Field Music, Land Of Talk
6. Hot Chip, Tussle
7. Peter Bjorn and John, Au Revoir Simone, Fujiya & Miyagi 9
8. Konono No. 1
9. LCD Soundsystem
10. Andrew Bird, Joan as Police Woman
11. The Pipettes, Smoosh, Monster Bobby
12. Great Lake Swimmers
13. Architecture in Helsinki, Black Moth Super Rainbow, Santogold
14. The Polyphonic Spree
15. The Fiery Furnaces, Dios
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Chilli on Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:06 pm

Partially true. Then again, as I stated above, I think I was screwed from the start by going solo. Without people you feel comfortable to interact with, music can be pretty hollow.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby TonyWilson on Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:07 pm

Tell me Lily Allen sucked. I hate that woman, terribly faux cockney posh douche that she is.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:07 pm

Chilli wrote:The concert wasn't that bad, but going solo sucked ass. To make things worse, my poor track-record with chicks is amplified when they show up to these things in groups, because then I have to charm multiple people, and my charm skills aren't that polished.

All the women that Ive noticed at shows are with guys.

Im going to a show stag this weekend. Looking forward to the show, but I'll definitely be drinking.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:07 pm

TonyWilson wrote:Tell me Lily Allen sucked. I hate that woman, terribly faux cockney posh douche that she is.

It was a fun show but nothing spectacular.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Chilli on Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:08 pm

terribly faux cockney posh douche that

Madonna?
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Chilli on Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:09 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Chilli wrote:The concert wasn't that bad, but going solo sucked ass. To make things worse, my poor track-record with chicks is amplified when they show up to these things in groups, because then I have to charm multiple people, and my charm skills aren't that polished.

Im going to a show stag this weekend. Looking forward to the show, but I'll definitely be drinking.

Probably an idea. I'm trying to cut back on getting shit-faced and going to see live music. Did that a lot at University, and I remember lhow utterly insane the nights were in theory, but in actuality I'd wake up on the floor with a hangover and vague recollections of being propelled forward into a mosh-pit, and getting my ass kicked.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:11 pm

Chilli wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:

Probably an idea. I'm trying to cut back on getting shit-faced and going to see live music. Did that a lot at University, and I remember lhow utterly insane the nights were in theory, but in actuality I'd wake up on the floor with a hangover and vague recollections of being propelled forward into a mosh-pit, and getting my ass kicked.

Ill have to drive so I wont be drinking much.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Chilli on Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:13 pm

Good plan - drink enough to loosen up and enjoy the concert, but not too much so that you do something incredibly stupid.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby TonyWilson on Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:15 pm

Chilli wrote:Good plan - drink enough to loosen up and enjoy the concert, but not too much so that you do something incredibly stupid.

But what if that's the same amount?
TonyWilson

Postby Chilli on Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:16 pm

We're entering complex areas here. I had a strange period where I'd drink bourbon all evening, which never ended well. Best thing to do would be one beer and leave it at that. Gets a little buzz going, but you keep control of your logic meter.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:18 pm

Chilli wrote:We're entering complex areas here. I had a strange period where I'd drink bourbon all evening, which never ended well. Best thing to do would be one beer and leave it at that. Gets a little buzz going, but you keep control of your logic meter.

Who wants logic?

Also, bourbon is awesome. Bourbon and country music (not pop country) is even better.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Chilli on Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:20 pm

You have to have some logic. Maintaining it means you don't go up to the drunk chick with the boyfriend and start with the awful Nicholas Cage style 'Mah humming-bird' shit, which usually gets you threatened with the worlds worst ass-kicking. Some semblance of logic means, at the very least, flirting with attractive and single tipsy chicks.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:25 pm

Chilli wrote:You have to have some logic. Maintaining it means you don't go up to the drunk chick with the boyfriend and start with the awful Nicholas Cage style 'Mah humming-bird' shit, which usually gets you threatened with the worlds worst ass-kicking. Some semblance of logic means, at the very least, flirting with attractive and single tipsy chicks.

Probably not the greatest idea pulling the Cage shtick out for a girl with a date.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Chilli on Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:27 pm

Its never the right time to pull that shit. Taking romantic advice from Nicholas Cage is like taking advice, period, from Kate Moss.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:34 pm

Chilli wrote:Its never the right time to pull that shit. Taking romantic advice from Nicholas Cage is like taking advice, period, from Kate Moss.

MOSSLASH
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby maluquiro on Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:41 pm

last show i saw was the rentals at spaceland in l.a. the next show probably won't be till bishop allen comes and plays in provo...
maluquiro
GLIB

Postby thebabypanda on Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:15 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:5. Menomena, Field Music, Land Of Talk

my band colorstore opened for them in may in phoenix. really nice guys.
we were told not to eat their peanut butter in the green room. then they're like: "no, no please have some!" (paraphrase). also, they're
all very tall. can't remember the name of the group that was touring
with them, but it had the guitarist who used to play in grandaddy. very nice fellars as well. good times.
thebabypanda
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby tapehead on Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:00 am

October 16th the Forum, Melbourne. Nick Cave / Grinderman - this will be the last of three nights the band are playing here (Cave's hometown). Tickets for all three concerts went on sale today and I believe were sold out in a matter of hours. Lengthy review to follow.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:32 pm

Atmosphere (well, it was Felt (with Ant! My first ever Ant sighting!), but Slug and Murs did some solos while the other acted as hypeman/weed carrier) debuted a new single during the PAID DUES tour last night, and, coincidentally, I had downloaded the song from Stereogum earlier in the day...

Sunshine

which makes this Sluggo's second Sunshine themed track, but unlike "Nothing But Sunshine", there's no strangled cattle.

I loathed Atmosphere's last album, but Sean is still one of the most magnetic live performers in hip-hop, and if this track is any indication, the next album will correct the swoon of the last.

missed Hangar 18 & most of Blueprint (who I've seen before anyway), Grouch and Eligh brought some bangin' beats with conscious rhymes (good combination), Cage SUCKS live now that he's only PRETENDING to be all fucked up and whacked out like he used to be ("I Need Drugs" loses it's power when the mc is no longer a druggie), Mr. Lif didn't perform any of his older, better material, but when the big ass albino Muslim took the stage, all was forgiven.

Brother Ali pwnt it. Magnetic presence.

Sage was alright, but I miss the live band he used to rock out with him in Providence, R.I. And white conscious rap gets boring quick, having two of 'em on one bill gets kinda boring and played right quick (tho' props to Sage for dropping Buck 65's "The Centaur" beat and utterly destroying it with a verse of pure fire).

I was bore-noyed, high, drunk, and thinking of leaving...but then Felt came on and blew shit up proper. Murs, dressed in a awesome thrift store purchase (full on NASCAR "speedsuit") and Slug (with awesome, scum-bag hipster mustache!) started skipping around the stage, and then launched into a mini-set of Felt's best, going all the way back before even the Ricci obsession. Felt is good for rap in general...mixed race membership, fun, witty, bangin' beats, charismatic performers who love working with/one-upping each other. Great show.

When you name your Northern-Southern Cali rap supergroup LIVING LEGENDS, you had better back your shit up with something tight. That they not only lived up to but surpassed the name speaks volumes of just how much pwnage LIVING LEGENDS has in spades. Old-school group rap of traded verses, stage energy (sadly, no choreographed outfits or dances), crowd rocking beats...best live hip-hop group act I've seen since the heyday of the Wu.

and goddamn, The Warfield is a great venue. Since the show was a last minute dealio, since indie-kids have moved on from backpack, the show wasn't even close to sold out, and the drugged up 'yoof doesn't have the endurance to last a long-ass show, so by the end, only the true hip-hop heads were left, and they gave LIVING LEGENDS all the love the so thoroughly deserved.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:41 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:Atmosphere (well, it was Felt (with Ant! My first ever Ant sighting!), but Slug and Murs did some solos while the other acted as hypeman/weed carrier) debuted a new single during the PAID DUES tour last night, and, coincidentally, I had downloaded the song from Stereogum earlier in the day...

Sunshine

which makes this Sluggo's second Sunshine themed track, but unlike "Nothing But Sunshine", there's no strangled cattle.

I loathed Atmosphere's last album, but Sean is still one of the most magnetic live performers in hip-hop, and if this track is any indication, the next album will correct the swoon of the last.

missed Hangar 18 & most of Blueprint (who I've seen before anyway), Grouch and Eligh brought some bangin' beats with conscious rhymes (good combination), Cage SUCKS live now that he's only PRETENDING to be all fucked up and whacked out like he used to be ("I Need Drugs" loses it's power when the mc is no longer a druggie), Mr. Lif didn't perform any of his older, better material, but when the big ass albino Muslim took the stage, all was forgiven.

Brother Ali pwnt it. Magnetic presence.

Sage was alright, but I miss the live band he used to rock out with him in Providence, R.I. And white conscious rap gets boring quick, having two of 'em on one bill gets kinda boring and played right quick (tho' props to Sage for dropping Buck 65's "The Centaur" beat and utterly destroying it with a verse of pure fire).

I was bore-noyed, high, drunk, and thinking of leaving...but then Felt came on and blew shit up proper. Murs, dressed in a awesome thrift store purchase (full on NASCAR "speedsuit") and Slug (with awesome, scum-bag hipster mustache!) started skipping around the stage, and then launched into a mini-set of Felt's best, going all the way back before even the Ricci obsession. Felt is good for rap in general...mixed race membership, fun, witty, bangin' beats, charismatic performers who love working with/one-upping each other. Great show.

When you name your Northern-Southern Cali rap supergroup LIVING LEGENDS, you had better back your shit up with something tight. That they not only lived up to but surpassed the name speaks volumes of just how much pwnage LIVING LEGENDS has in spades. Old-school group rap of traded verses, stage energy (sadly, no choreographed outfits or dances), crowd rocking beats...best live hip-hop group act I've seen since the heyday of the Wu.

and goddamn, The Warfield is a great venue. Since the show was a last minute dealio, since indie-kids have moved on from backpack, the show wasn't even close to sold out, and the drugged up 'yoof doesn't have the endurance to last a long-ass show, so by the end, only the true hip-hop heads were left, and they gave LIVING LEGENDS all the love the so thoroughly deserved.

That's one hell of a line-up. Sounds like a great time.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:44 am

Ok, so i went to the V festival in Chelmsford this weekend and i saw many acts i will include a one word description for each act below, apart from Babyshambles...

first day;

Went to the strongbow tent and got plastered firstly as there was two hour long queues for the drink tickets and a further forty minute wait to get served at the beer tents... Saw Bez from the Happy Mondays having a dance in their and then sloped off to see...

BabyShambles - Chronically poor, possibly the worst live band i have ever seen, people walked off in droves straight back to the Strongbow tent where Bez was still dancing...

Squeezed to the front whilst Snow Patrol (soppy) were playing as next up was the Foo Fighters (Brilliant). And that was the end of the first day, the acts on the first day weren't as good as those playing on the second day...

Second day;

The Cribbs (good) hadn't really heard much of them before but they were really good...

Mark Ronson (swell) was ok, not really my cup of tea, but the people i was with wanted to see them...

The Fratellis (great)

James (G@Y)

Kasabian (Amazing)

Then half and half of The Killers (brilliant) and iggy and the stooges (Legends)...

and that was the weekend... second day was far superior, but it was probably the worst organised festival i have ever been too...

Far too many people, not enough toilets beer tents or amenities...

Still had a brilliant weekend though...
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:49 pm

Went to Bumbershoot in Seattle over the past couple of days. Per usual, a good time was had by all, but I'm worn down and a little hungover today.

Lots of fun bands!! My friends and I skipped out on the headliners in order to avoid the massive crowds and mostly hit the smaller stages. This caused me to miss Wu Tang....which sucks....but after seeing the queue to get into the mainstage stadium, I just couldn't do it.

I saw a bunch of smaller stuff: Schoolyard Heroes, who are big around here. They were a lot of fun, but suffered from poor acoustics in the hall in which they were playing. Tokyo Police Club: Not bad live...not completely my style of music but they put on a good show. A bunch of others.

The one band that was worth the price of admission for me was The Frames, from Dublin, Ireland. I'm typically a higher tempo kinda guy, but I loved them live. Beautiful, melodic music. When it does rise in tempo it's stirring. They played outside, at dusk, on a beautiful night, which was really the perfect setting for the music.

I'd not really heard them before. The singer's voice is fantastic, live. The musicianship is well above average, particularly the violinist. Great stuff, if you're in the right mood.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:59 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:Went to Bumbershoot in Seattle over the past couple of days. Per usual, a good time was had by all, but I'm worn down and a little hungover today.

Lots of fun bands!! My friends and I skipped out on the headliners in order to avoid the massive crowds and mostly hit the smaller stages. This caused me to miss Wu Tang....which sucks....but after seeing the queue to get into the mainstage stadium, I just couldn't do it.

I saw a bunch of smaller stuff: Schoolyard Heroes, who are big around here. They were a lot of fun, but suffered from poor acoustics in the hall in which they were playing. Tokyo Police Club: Not bad live...not completely my style of music but they put on a good show. A bunch of others.

The one band that was worth the price of admission for me was The Frames, from Dublin, Ireland. I'm typically a higher tempo kinda guy, but I loved them live. Beautiful, melodic music. When it does rise in tempo it's stirring. They played outside, at dusk, on a beautiful night, which was really the perfect setting for the music.

I'd not really heard them before. The singer's voice is fantastic, live. The musicianship is well above average, particularly the violinist. Great stuff, if you're in the right mood.

so have you seen Once yet?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:02 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
so have you seen Once yet?

Nope! Definitely going to have to watch it now, though.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:20 pm

Going to see Rock Plaza Central and O'Death tonight.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Boll_KG on Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:24 pm

Last concert I saw vas der Proms in London.

DEr Director vas kind enough to let me vatch his show.

Incredible. Prokofiev and Britten. A vunder to vatch.

Vat an artist.
Uve plays by no-one's rules but his own. You sink you know Uve?....sink again!
Boll_KG
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby PF Moon Deux on Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:33 pm

I went to Leeds for an alcohol-fueled weekend of debauched lunacy. Excelente.

Oh, yeah. Good tunes too. NIN were the best band we saw.
PF Moon Deux

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:38 pm

The Rock Plaza Central, O'Death show topped out about 20 people.

I went to the concert for Rock Plaza but it was O'Death that blew me away.

Their rawkus bluegrass, gospel, punk, blues hybrid style is unlike anything I've heard before. They have a huge nergy on stage with all band members chanting along with the music. The fiddle player looks like a pedo, but he brought the rockin' and has a Waitsian howl that just adds to the dirge of music. For a mostly accoustic band these guys know how to rock the F out. highly recommended!

Rock Plaza was a bit of a letdown. Their drummer was absent due to the birth of a son. You could tell they weren't used to playing this way and it sort of detracted from the experience. They weren't bad, just not what i had expected. Also, they tried to be pretty comical, but with only 20 people it just came accross as awkward.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby bamf on Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:45 am

no words. full size it. turn it up.

bamf
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby papalazeru on Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:08 am

Was at the Chemical Brothers Trafalgar Square gig on Sunday.

Awesome visual dispaly with an LCD web showing video and dancing. Bloody brill.

Just wish I'd had some pills like everyone else.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Tubbs Tattsyrup on Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:52 am

Well, I'm uber-excited because I've got tickets to two upcoming shows:

Jeff Wayne's WAR OF THE WORLDS

and

MUSE

...Fuck yeah.
On YouTube or Vimeo.
Tubbs Tattsyrup
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby justcheckin on Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:44 pm

Going to see BLUE OCTOBER baby next weekend... whoooooo hooooooooo!
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby Conroy420 on Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:59 am

Got tickets to Ozzy and Rob Zombie. Pretty stoaked.

I'm not a huge metal fan, but I really get a kick out of big theatrical shows. When you're paying 90-100 dollars for a ticket, I want to be really entertained.

Seen a few concerts this year, not counting the smaller shows at local bars.

Roger Waters was AMAZING. Best thing I have ever seen, including any form of art or entertainment. Reallu great.

Saw ZZTOP a couple weeks ago, pretty solid overall.

In December I'm going to go watch Jay Leno at the local casino. Havn't watched any live stand up before, so it should be pretty cool.
To read some original works by me, please ask, I need the feedback!
Conroy420
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Maui on Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:39 pm

I didn't go, but a friend of mine went to see the Scorpions at the Kinocti Harbour Spa & Resort up at Clear Lake. He said the concert kicked ass but they showed up 1 hour late due to the fact that they were wine tasting. Just cracked me up is all. :lol:

Here I am....Rock you like a Hurricane....

Maui
WoWie

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:32 am

Saw Apples in Stereo last night.

NPR broadcast the show and you can listen here
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:56 pm

The Mountain Goats were last night.

It was the rowdiest show I have ever been toin DC from a yelling out songs singing along all up totally into it point of view. Normally it's the more jaded stance at shows unless it's a dance show and then it's dancing but no yelling etc...
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:33 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:The Mountain Goats were last night.

It was the rowdiest show I have ever been toin DC from a yelling out songs singing along all up totally into it point of view. Normally it's the more jaded stance at shows unless it's a dance show and then it's dancing but no yelling etc...

Very nice! I love those types of shows. Many of the shows I go to now, everyone is too cool for school. Shows that are more interactive are simply more fun.

Getting drunk helps too!
Lord Voldemoo

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:46 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:

Very nice! I love those types of shows. Many of the shows I go to now, everyone is too cool for school. Shows that are more interactive are simply more fun.

Getting drunk helps too!

It was a very good time considering it could have been a very somber show.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby St. Alphonzo on Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:28 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:

Getting drunk helps too!

That's kind of what I was thinking... I dig the Mountain Goats quite a bit, but their music isn't exactly uplifting party music. Not a concert I would expect to be rowdy. Then again, I didn't think an Avett Brothers concert would be rowdy either, so what do I know!
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:37 pm

St. Alphonzo wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:
Lor d Voldemoo wrote:

Getting drunk helps too!

That's kind of what I was thinking... I dig the Mountain Goats quite a bit, but their music isn't exactly uplifting party music. Not a concert I would expect to be rowdy. Then again, I didn't think an Avett Brothers concert would be rowdy either, so what do I know!

I like mountain goats quite a bit too.

The Avett Brothers had a rowdy crowd too?
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby St. Alphonzo on Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:47 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
St. Alphonzo wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:
Lor d Voldemoo wrote:

Getting drunk helps too!

I like mountain goats quite a bit too.

The Avett Brothers had a rowdy crowd too?

When I saw them 1 or 1 1/2 years ago... some of their live stuff could only be classified as countrified folk-punk. Quite a lot of fun.
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

PreviousNext

Return to Music