Latest Concert Visits

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:43 pm

I saw Tori Amos a couple of months ago and I saw Third Eye Blind a few weeks ago. Both good shows, though the Tori concert seemed to go on forever.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:33 am

AH's two word review of DJ Shadow and Cut Chemists 7-inch vinyl live-show mix The Hard Sell -

Fucking Awesome.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:43 am

AtomicHyperbole wrote:AH's two word review of DJ Shadow and Cut Chemists 7-inch vinyl live-show mix The Hard Sell -

Fucking Awesome.

hey AH, did you get a chance to listen to the leaked version of THE HARD SELL?

rather disappointing - but then I've heard that the CD is just an outtake, something they put together quickly.

just wondering if the show was similar or dissimilar to what some of us have heard...

also, was Steinski with them?
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:48 am

The Boredoms @The Fillmore

utter cacophonous transcendence...revelation through ear splitting sonic devastation. When you think they're gonna zig, they zag - not so much triple drum jamming, but a triple drumming jazz-drone, punctuated by bowel quaking bursts of the various screams, grunts and shouts.
Eye's got a, what, 8 neck guitar resting on a stand that he doesn't so much play as whale on with either a couple regulation sized drumsticks, or a couple mallets.

In brief...

So. Much. Awesome.

it says something that my favorite band in the world not only lived up to, but surpassed, my crushing expectations I had of their ferocious live power.

once in a lifetime experiences don't get a more life affirming.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:00 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
AtomicHyperbol e wrote:AH's two word review of DJ Shadow and Cut Chemists 7-inch vinyl live-show mix The Hard Sell -

Fucking Awesome.

hey AH, did you get a chance to listen to the leaked version of THE HARD SELL?

rather disappointing - but then I've heard that the CD is just an outtake, something they put together quickly.

just wondering if the show was similar or dissimilar to what some of us have heard...

also, was Steinski with them?

I've already ashamed myself by confusing PE with NWA in another thread, so I don't feel fit to have seen The Hard Sell nor to discourse with you, KC, but I shall attempt to.

Steinski wasn't with them, no - but you got me on myspace looking him up. Kid Koala, however, was, and was pretty incredible. I don't think I've ever seen someone on stage actually HAVE so much fun. What was worse is I don't think anyone knew who KK was when he come onstage because he did to very little fanfair and the sound engineer didn't crank the volume for about a minute. Lucky KK took it in his stride and introduced himself despite it all and hooked the crowd within seconds.

I've not heard The Hard Sell leak. I'm not one to scour the internet looking for leaks, I leave you guys to do that for me. :wink: Thing is the entire thing is done live on 7 inch vinyl which makes it all the more incredible that they make the sounds they do, using only guitar peds to loop or add the odd subtle effect. To showcase how wrong it can go I heard the Dublin show was spoilt somewhat by Cut's peds screwing up so everyone could hear him pushing down on them.

The range of music they played was pretty incredible too considering how seamless it all was, everything from 60's soul to noughties rock. The thing is it was more a DJ showcase than something to get heads knocking so I don't think you'd get the full effect on CD. Ultimately it was two incredible DJ's working eight decks, live visuals and some funny mucking around. I don't think I was happier since catching Shadow on the Outsider tour after ten years or so of listening to his music back at the end of '06.

Next up - Gogol Bordello.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:39 am

AtomicHyperbole wrote:Kid Koala...pretty incredible.

that's all you had to say about him, 'cuz that says it all.

nobody cut 'n scratched like KK - not saying he was the "best" or most technically proficient, or the fastest...but the sound he's able to make, like cutting glass with sharper glass?

Shadow performed most of the scratches and cuts for DR. OCTAGON, KK was the cat Automator tapped for DELTRON 3030.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:58 am

/notes and scribbles from the forum HipHop master

I've got some buying to do. Any recommendations? Incidentally, the fact that KK could actually use his turntable as an instrument was pretty friggin' incredible. I'd had been worried if I was Shadow or Chemist that he'd outdo 'em! He had four turntables himself.

He's going to be off the scene soon too apparently, if only for a bit, cos he's having a kid. If he's about outside of THS I'd catch him now.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:23 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
AtomicHyperbole wrote:Kid Koala...pretty incredible.

that's all you had to say about him, 'cuz that says it all.

nobody cut 'n scratched like KK - not saying he was the "best" or most technically proficient, or the fastest...but the sound he's able to make, like cutting glass with sharper glass?

Shadow performed most of the scratches and cuts for DR. OCTAGON, KK was the cat Automator tapped for DELTRON 3030.

Kid Koala puts on a pretty great show by himself as well. The only time I was able to see him was back in 2000, though, with radiohead and beta band. Great GREAT SHOW.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:25 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:The Boredoms @The Fillmore

utter cacophonous transcendence...revelation through ear splitting sonic devastation. When you think they're gonna zig, they zag - not so much triple drum jamming, but a triple drumming jazz-drone, punctuated by bowel quaking bursts of the various screams, grunts and shouts.
Eye's got a, what, 8 neck guitar resting on a stand that he doesn't so much play as whale on with either a couple regulation sized drumsticks, or a couple mallets.

In brief...

So. Much. Awesome.

it says something that my favorite band in the world not only lived up to, but surpassed, my crushing expectations I had of their ferocious live power.

once in a lifetime experiences don't get a more life affirming.

No one wants to go to the show with me when Boredoms comes here, but I say F em all and am going alone. I don't need no pansy ass bitches ruinging what will be an amazing cacophony of sound. Your description KC just amped me to 11.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:28 pm

@KCBC - a quick follow-up - I got the Hard Sell on CD, the now defunct pressing from early last year. The initial mix was a practice run as you said. The new Hard Sell that's in the green CD case is the new mix they play. I've not heard it so can't comment on the differences and it's been a while since the gig, but as far as I can tell a lot's on there I saw minus the Metallica outro and maybe a couple of tracks I don't recall.

Oh and I just came back from Gogol Bordello and Skin Dred (formally Dubwar) at the Brixton Academy. JESUS CHRIST I had to buy a t-shirt there to replace the one drenched in my own sweat (and a few other peoples no doubt), you could make a soup from it. FUCKING AWESOME.

Highly recommended live. Their punk roots really show on stage and they have two hot female dancers with (from where I was standing) copious camel-toe. Huzzah!

Skin Dred were equally good. Not the most memorable blasts ever, but the singer Benji can still belt out those vocals like ten years back. Hell, MORE than ten years back. Great stuff.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:33 pm

I saw Yeasayer last week and they put on a damn good show. All the subtler aspects of the music such as the almost Zeppelin-y/classic rock riffs and such come off much more pronounced and add a great energy to the tracks that was allmsot lacking on the album.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Hermanator X on Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:03 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:@KCBC - a quick follow-up - I got the Hard Sell on CD, the now defunct pressing from early last year. The initial mix was a practice run as you said. The new Hard Sell that's in the green CD case is the new mix they play. I've not heard it so can't comment on the differences and it's been a while since the gig, but as far as I can tell a lot's on there I saw minus the Metallica outro and maybe a couple of tracks I don't recall.

Oh and I just came back from Gogol Bordello and Skin Dred (formally Dubwar) at the Brixton Academy. JESUS CHRIST I had to buy a t-shirt there to replace the one drenched in my own sweat (and a few other peoples no doubt), you could make a soup from it. FUCKING AWESOME.

Highly recommended live. Their punk roots really show on stage and they have two hot female dancers with (from where I was standing) copious camel-toe. Huzzah!

Skin Dred were equally good. Not the most memorable blasts ever, but the singer Benji can still belt out those vocals like ten years back. Hell, MORE than ten years back. Great stuff.

Thanks for the info on Skin Dred AH. I used to be partial to a bit of dub war back in the day, so I will have to check em out.
(Now I gotta go dig out Gorrit, and see if I can find some old Depth charge shit saying as im on a retro tip!!)
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Re: Latest Concert Visits

Postby yorrick brown on Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:19 pm

edit

:oops:

don`t mind me.
Should I call you Bullet? Tooth?
You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
yorrick brown
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:53 pm

Love Is All and Videohippos - 6/11/2008 - BlackCat Backstage

I almost bailed on going to this show, but The Reverend Brocktune convinced me to go in spite of my friends bailing. I am so glad I did.

Videohippos opened the night and while the noise freakouts are more memorable live than on record it still failed to really grab me on the whole. There were moments of awesomeness sprinkled throughout the set and I felt like if they had made a record/set of those moments it could be something great. However, they get too bogged down in the experimental noise side of their stuff and what they do in that arena has been done better by other artists.

Love Is All came out and the crowd (all 100 of us) went nuts. It was the second night of a short US tour and you could tell they were happy to be playing for everyone. Love Is All’s 60s surfy garage rock meets indie pop with an anthemic punk edge is much better suited to a live performance than a record. Not to say I don’t love their record though as it was one of my favorites in 2006. The dance-ability is just played up live and the crowd certainly agreed. I haven’t seen this many hipsters dancing in a long time. Josephine’s yelp was accentuated by the fans all singing their favorite parts. During a cover of A Flock Of Seagull’s I Ran everyone was singing and it was just a truly memorable experience an I ended up having to buy their tour only cover ep.

Anyway a great night was had and I highly recommend checking them out if they come by your area.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:40 pm

last night i saw REM for the first time, even though i've loved them since i was in middle school, for whatever reason i always managed to miss or skip their show. BIG MISTAKE. they were frikkin' great. i have mostly positive but slightly mixed feelings about the new album, but because it's such a rocker, it felt like a good album to see them tour on. and it was. but of course, the highlights for me were the classics.

first of all, the national opened, and they were good. i liked them better than i have when i've heard their stuff elsewhere. then modest mouse. i kinda hate modest mouse. however, johnny marr is now a member of modest mouse, and i love johnny marr, one of my favourite guitar players ever. so i'm really torn. but they sounded better than i expected, and marr was awesome (though i'd much rather be hearing him play smiths songs :P ). i'd forgotten he'd joined that band, so it was a pleasant surprise to get to see him again (and it did at least sound better than the healers).

and then REM. they kicked it off with 'finest worksong' which was the first highlight of the night, a great way to open the set. other highlights were drive, ignoreland, hollow man (my favourite song from the new record), rockville (with mike mills on lead vox), pop song 89 (a song i have an personal and unreasonable love for, and totally unexpected), driver 8, until the day is done (really gorgeous live), an around-the-campfire acoustic version of let me in (also gorgeous, and with stipe's best vocal of the night), and the ultimate highlight -- johnny marr sitting in on the encore for fall on me and man on the moon.

of course, with a band like REM that's had so many great records and songs, there are always going to be a few songs you'd wished they'd played (my personal dream set would include perfect circle, harborcoat, green grow the rushes, you are the everything, world leader pretend, near wild heaven, exhuming mccarthy, begin the begin, feeling gravitys pull, so. central rain... dammit, i could go on forever) but overall, i don't think i could've asked for a better setlist. the only song they didn't play that i was a bit surprised at was 'accelerate', my 2nd favorite song from the new record. would've rather they played that than 'mr. richards' which is my least favorite new song, but i guess they wanted to dedicate that one to dick cheney. also, stipe made a big point halfway through the encore to stop and proudly show off his 'obama for president' lapel pin.

overall, it was a really fast and energetic set, mostly uptempo songs played with lots of energy and loud distorted guitar, and a totally great show.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:56 pm

Nice, sounds like a couple of you guys are seeing some good concerts of late.

I *almost* went to see M.I.A. and Holy Fuck last Thursday but unfortunately had to abort. However, last night I got to see Death Cab for Cutie at the Mann Center in Philadelphia. A good time was had by all.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:42 pm

Ribbons wrote:I *almost* went to see M.I.A. and Holy Fuck last Thursday but unfortunately had to abort.

after all these years, finally, some personal information about the mysterious enigma known as Ribbons!
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:31 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Ribbons wrote:I *almost* went to see M.I.A. and Holy Fuck last Thursday but unfortunately had to abort.

after all these years, finally, some personal information about the mysterious enigma known as Ribbons!

Well, I *am* a riddle shrouded in mystery wrapped in bacon...
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:36 pm

So I went to see Flobots last night with my brother, and they put on a really great show. We were in a small, somewhat seedy club here in Seattle called El Corazon and the place was packed to the gills with sweaty malcontents. We can barely see and the heat and smell inside were overwhelming.

It was perfect.

Flobots certainly have a stage presence. Brer Rabbit and Jonny 5 stalk the stage, simultaneously intense and playful, singing, rapping, yelling and screaming with the crowd. This was equal parts concert and rally, and it worked. Sometimes I roll my eyes a bit at the more politically "militant" groups out there, but when Flobots are on the stage you can tell that they mean it. Iraq, the current administration and the power of basic thought were recurring themes throughout the evening, both in their music and their rhetoric. They'd sometimes lead chants of the enthusiastic crowd leading into one of their songs "fight with fight with fight with TOOLS, fight with fight with fight with TOOLS"...and like everything else that night, it worked. As a liberal guy, but a pragmatist, I found myself swayed and caught up in the exultations to actually go out and DO something about the world.

Of course then I got sleepy, but that's another story.

Oh yeah, they played music too. And it was fantastic live. The rapping was flawless and rhythmic. Jesse Walker is a wizard on the bass...which is absolutely essential for their style of music. The high point (and somewhat surprising point for me as I'd only had a limited exposure to their music before the show) was the singing. Brer Rabbit has a great voice when he uses it!

And then there was MacKenzie Roberts. Holy hell she's hot on the stage. In addition to her standard violin (which works amazingly well with the music, despite the fact that it seems like an odd pairing until you hear it), she sang several songs. She has a nice voice, not amazing but nice and fun. One high point was certainly the encore which was a rousing rendition of Pat Benatar's "Heartbreaker" sung by Roberts. It was so different than anything we'd heard that night, it had a cover band feel but it was a blast and the audience went nuts.

Anchored by Walker's bass, Kenny O's drums and Andy Rok on guitar, the music was impossible not to dance to...or at least bob your head to. Seriously, go to a show and try to stand still...I dare you. The bass lines and rhythms of the music aren't overly complex, but they are a hell of a lot of fun, and they have a broad musical style. This band is a whole lot more than "Handlebars". At times they are simply rapping with barely anything behind it other than a standard bass groove and light drumming. Other times they sound like Rage Against the Machine (a comparison that's been made a million times and will be made a million more....they aren't THERE yet, but they have the potential), with the layering of the guitar and violin added. They throw a lot of SOUND at you in those songs, but it doesn't wash out...it works together well.

I didn't know all that much about them going in, and kind of went on a whim when my brother had an extra ticket. The result was one of the best shows i've seen in the last year. Highly recommended, particularly in a smaller venue.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby so sorry on Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:50 pm

Sounded like fun Moo.

I found this little featurette about the band HERE... definetly not my kind of sound, but major kudos to them for attempting to fuse a viola, rap, rock and a trumpet!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Hermanator X on Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:34 pm

OK, so in the past few weeks I have been to quite a few gigs, all of which were not the norm for myself.

In my little adopted home town of Kongsberg, it was recently enema week (one week a year the streets are full and the place is full of life for the annual jazz fest) I really dont know where everyone goes for the rest of the time. But its awesome, and non stop partying so im not complaining.

The line up is always fairly eclectic, and not strictly "Jazz" which suits me fine, as I cant take too much jazz before I get a bit sick of it.

The first nights headliner was Nigel Kennedy, the aston villa supporting violin playing genius. I went along as it was a beautiful sunny day, and thought a chill out in the sun drinkin beer and wine while listening to well done classical music would be a nice mellow start to the festivities. How wrong I was.
For starters, he is a witty guy. A bit corny, but good fun nonetheless. After a nice friendly LONG monologue upfront, he got to playing. Fairly early on I knew the night was onto something special and the sounds from him and his quintet were a bit of a revelation to be honest. Every performer oozed pure class, and the sound was amazing. The biggest surprise was that he played all of his own compositions, but they werent exactly classical. There was a nice bit of Rock, Funk, Jazz, Blues and some pure melodic bliss. 9/10

For further info I had previously wrote him of as a "wanker" in my formative years, but the dude is decent, and hung around for the remainder of the festival. It was slightly surreal seeing him jogging on my way to work in an aston villa football top?? Nigel, I hope you can accept my apology.

The other gig I went to see was Madrugada, pretty much the top rock band in norway right now. I think of them as the bad seeds light. But thats no bad thing. (no pun intended) Anyhoo, here is one of their better songs in my eyes Majesty on youtube.
The gig was ok, my gf loved it, and so did most of the crowd, but I have seen bigger and better so many times it was hard to get too enthusiastic. 7/10

The rest of the festival consisted of watching loads of bands on the free stages, who I dont know the names of, but the majority were very good. Especially some school of rock type band, consisting of young uns, who were frankly awesome. I hope they all go on to bigger better things. (The town has a good pedigree already, being the hometown of morten harkey of aha, but he is yet to recieve a statue. :D )

Also a shout out has to go to the Circa DJ (the night club spot). He played the disco version of the star wars theme, which had me and a mate jiving away like mad, to the dismay of my girlfriend.

Next stop was the Stavern Festival. This was the full festie experience, 2 stages, 2 days and extortionate beer prices. All of the bands were scandinavian in origin, but there were some great acts on the bill. My highlights were as follows...

Hellbillies - Folk Rawk and good time good old boys, never had so much fun listening to an accordian.

Bertine Zeitlitz - Kirk, where are you when I need you? This chick makes lene marlin look like a nolan sister. cheesy pop done well, and hot as all hell.

Ralph Myerz and the Jack Herren Band - Quite hard to classify their style, so here is a vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7iYMLqmguo. This is the band I could safely recommend to SFG without feeling musically inferior :wink: Awesome live, 8 piece band or so, pretty much all instrumental, and ranging from rock to electro. definately a band i need to seek out a bit better.

Kurt Nilsen - Former norwegian idol winner, then went on to win World idol, but dont let that put you off. The ex postman has a hell of a voice, and seems very sincere. A genuinely talented and grateful musician, who is currently riding high, thanks to his new album which is a full collaboration with Wille Nelson. If that doesnt kill the pop idol stigma, nothing will.

Big bang - See madrugada above. OK, but seen better.

The big hitters of the show:

Datarock - Reminded me of old pop will eat itself, or bently rythm ace shows. Just fun from start to finish, and danced like a loon. Every tune was a winner, even the encore, which was simply the record playing of "ive had the time of my life" from dirty dancing while the band went off on one, having a dance themselves. By that point they had earned the lunacy, and I scored bonus points with my GF for spinning her round like she was Jennifer Grey.

Last but not least, I made a trip to oslo on wednesday to see Iron Maiden.

I got tickets cos my gf liked em, and I dont mind a good bit of rock, but never been a maiden fan. Just hasnt been my thing. But god damn, stood amongst 30,000 people and you just cant help being won over. By now the whole show runs like clockwork, and you can see that each and every band member is happy to be there doing their thing.

From the opening video of Bruce Dickinson landing the iron maiden jet, and getting frisked by customs on the tarmac, i knew i was in for a good show.

The tunes rocked, and I was familiar enough with them to join in the singalongs, having bought the new hits album.

But the pyrotechnics and effects were out of this world. Each song had its own backdrop, which were basically on a scale and quality of star wars matte paintings. Having been looking forward to seeing what Eddie looks like when he makes his appearance, I was a little disappointed that it turned out to be a 20 foot tall mummy, from the torso up, waving his arms, from the centre of the stage. Cool, but nothing too special. Ah well, never mind I thought. Cant have everything.

Then---- Mofo hold the phone!! for the Encore, while the songs playing, out comes eddie, full mechanised humanoid robot. Between 12-15 foot tall. Walking flawlessly like a human, scaled up. Interacting with the band, who didnt even come up to waist height, turning looking at the crowd, and pointing a laser gun. Pure geek out, not so much for the maiden-nes, but for seeing such a good feckin animatronic doing its thing. Very very impressive. gig gets a 9/10 from me.

Well, thats my summer so far, and my longest post. Dont blame anyone for skimming, but im blessed with some free time, so why not?

Next up in my gig going adventures, im not sure. Could be funkadelic/parliament, but something might pop up inbetween.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby tapehead on Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:32 pm

Kelly Deal is weird - I mean really quite odd. I'm not convinced she actually plays guitar very much. I'm sure there's some reason behind the way she stands at her sister Kim's shoulder guitar in hand but carefully muting all the strings, just waiting for the next bit where she can play a lead part, never playing chords in the way that lead and rhythm guitarists usually do, but I don't care, it's really fun to watch. And when she sings? 'Muppet on crack' doesn't really do her voice justice.
Kim Deal is cool as fuck. If you don't already know this then you are running late on getting up to speed with modern Western civilization. Seriously it might already be too late. She's middle aged, probably smokes a pack a day (or twenty bongs, or a crack pipe, who knows?), and has the bearing and demeanor of someone who drinks regularly, but still she has that rock chick hotness emanating from her pores, and the few times she deigns to indulge in a little on-stage banter ('We're Classy, We do a Beatles cover' before launching into 'Happiness is a Warm Gun' was my favourite moment), She's cute as hell too.
The Breeders are really big with the indie lesbian crowd - this is a fact that had escaped me until I turned up at their show at Melbourne's Billboard last Tuesday. So many ladies-who-like-ladies-with-slicked-back-hair-in-flanellettes. I was quite surprised, but I guess it kind of makes sense - I always suspected that 'One Divine Hammer' was about a dildo, and now I'm sure it's true. It also seems like this band has escaped a lot of people of a certain age, as most of the crowd was 25+, and some of them were just hanging out to cut sick for the four-odd minutes that 'Cannonball' rang out from the stage ragged and perfect. They busted it out early in their two hour set too, all the better to leave room for what amounts to a pretty considerable back catalogue of material and the really great (if somewhat overlooked) 'Mountain Battles', released this year. I'm not very familiar with the tracks off 'Title TK', but I heard ripping, tight renditions of everything I was hoping to from albums like 'Pod' and 'Last Splash', a couple of Amps tunes and the new stuff. These chicks are into it. Their band is on it. I bought the t-shirt.

tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Seppuku on Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:45 am

Off to see The Residents tonight. This should be...different. My friend said he'd pay me £100 if I went on stage and took off one of their eye masks, thus revealing the identity they've managed to successfully keep hidden for almost 40 years. But, you know, much as I could do with the cash, it's still an asshole move, so no thank you.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby The Vicar on Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:31 pm

Seppuku wrote:Off to see The Residents tonight. This should be...different. My friend said he'd pay me £100 if I went on stage and took off one of their eye masks, thus revealing the identity they've managed to successfully keep hidden for almost 40 years. But, you know, much as I could do with the cash, it's still an asshole move, so no thank you.

They have snipers in the wings. Ex-Soviet shooters, I believe.
Convince your friend to make the dash,
then sit back and watch hilarity rain down like his brains will on the first few rows.
Make sure you hold his cash for him.
Cannot stress this enough.

And take a camera? A good one - don't want this looking like those goddam blurry pictures of Bigfoot.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby DaleTremont on Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:27 pm

A couple months back I went to see Russian pop singer Zemfira. I got so smashed on vodka I can't really remember if she was any good live or not, but I still love her album Vendetta.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby so sorry on Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:36 pm

I'm going to see Neil Young tonight. I think he's got a new album, but I checked the setlist, and its chock full of classic goodies. I also checked out a bootleg video on youtube from this tour, and its "rockin" Neil, not laid back acostic country Neil (not that there's anything wrong with that!).

Living Legend of Rock and Roll... can't wait.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby The Vicar on Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:43 pm

so sorry wrote:I'm going to see Neil Young tonight. I think he's got a new album, but I checked the setlist, and its chock full of classic goodies. I also checked out a bootleg video on youtube from this tour, and its "rockin" Neil, not laid back acostic country Neil (not that there's anything wrong with that!).

You lucky bastard. Sneak in a camera of something.
Neil Freaking Young. Saw him on the Rust Never Sleeps tour. Totally wicked.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby RaulMonkey on Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:50 pm

The Granddaddy of Grunge. Good job.

My Dad saw him when he was in Calgary last month, and he bought the official tour sweater which features a large picture of Neil silkscreened on the back. The only thing is, I swear to God: it looks exactly like Neil Diamond. I seriously think the printer got their Neils confused. Check it out if you get a chance. The sweater's black with a white picture, and Neil has a peace sign on his guitar...
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby so sorry on Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:45 pm

so sorry wrote:I'm going to see Neil Young tonight. I think he's got a new album, but I checked the setlist, and its chock full of classic goodies. I also checked out a bootleg video on youtube from this tour, and its "rockin" Neil, not laid back acostic country Neil (not that there's anything wrong with that!).

To follow up...

I was completely blown away by this concert. I went into it thinking it would be fun and all, but fuck me, Neil Young can still bring the goods. He is so into his music. Nothing felt phoney. Nothing felt stale and by the numbers. He played with heart, passion, and enthusiasm on each fucking song. And he was the absolute focal point of the whole two hours...no solos from another guitarist, no long drum rolls, none of that filler shit. Just Neil. He started with a half-a-dozen electric guitar songs, with Cortez the Killer and Cinnamon Girl being the highlights, then he switched to acoustic, and unfortunately I "got something in my eye" for The Needle and the Damage Done and Old Man, before he switched back to rocking out with the electric diddies like Rocking in the Free World and Cowgirl in the Sand.
If there is one criticism I'd have to give, its that his encore was a stupid Beatles song ( A Day in the Life). Fuck Neil, end it with Southern Man!

Truely a sight to see, and I can't stress that enough. Unfortunately for you all, this concert is done as of tommorrow (unless you live near NYC and can swing MSG tickets). Then he's headed to Australia for the month of January.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Scottys potty on Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:37 pm

I think one of the last bands I was forced to watch was The Red Hot Chilli Peppers. I really do not like this band. Mediocre an generic. Please do not try to rap. It sounds like you're a child that tried this for 10 minutes. Worse than my own child.
Scottys potty
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:15 pm

so sorry wrote:

To follow up...

I was completely blown away by this concert. I went into it thinking it would be fun and all, but fuck me, Neil Young can still bring the goods. He is so into his music. Nothing felt phoney. Nothing felt stale and by the numbers. He played with heart, passion, and enthusiasm on each fucking song. And he was the absolute focal point of the whole two hours...no solos from another guitarist, no long drum rolls, none of that filler shit. Just Neil. He started with a half-a-dozen electric guitar songs, with Cortez the Killer and Cinnamon Girl being the highlights, then he switched to acoustic, and unfortunately I "got something in my eye" for The Needle and the Damage Done and Old Man, before he switched back to rocking out with the electric diddies like Rocking in the Free World and Cowgirl in the Sand.
If there is one criticism I'd have to give, its that his encore was a stupid Beatles song ( A Day in the Life). Fuck Neil, end it with Southern Man!

Truely a sight to see, and I can't stress that enough. Unfortunately for you all, this concert is done as of tommorrow (unless you live near NYC and can swing MSG tickets). Then he's headed to Australia for the month of January.

Have you seen his concert film Heart of Gold, so sorry? If not you should check it out. I'm not even really a Neil Young fan and I thought it was amazing.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Seppuku on Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:40 pm

Ribbons wrote:
so sorry wrote:

To follow up...

Have you seen his concert film Heart of Gold, so sorry? If not you should check it out. I'm not even really a Neil Young fan and I thought it was amazing.

I also recommend Rust Never Sleeps, for the sole reason that the crew are dressed up as little Tusken Raiders/Ewok thingies, and spend the whole concert scrabbling about the stage and mugging to the crowd. Most bizarre. In fact, that whole concert must've been a pretty major influence on Spinal Tap. I even recall Neil emerging from a pod or an egg at one point.

Ah, the '70s.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby so sorry on Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:16 am

Ribbons wrote:
so sorry wrote:

To follow up...

Most of it, but admittedly not all. What I did see was cool (there were like 8 people lined up playing guitar at one point), but infinitely mellow compared to the concert I just saw.

But thanks for reminding me... now I have something to add to my DVD wishlist.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Brocktune on Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:38 pm

tapehead wrote:Kelly Deal is weird - I mean really quite odd. I'm not convinced she actually plays guitar very much. I'm sure there's some reason behind the way she stands at her sister Kim's shoulder guitar in hand but carefully muting all the strings, just waiting for the next bit where she can play a lead part, never playing chords in the way that lead and rhythm guitarists usually do...

astute observation my friend.
as far as i remember, kelly deal is sort of an alumni from the same school as the Smashing Pumpkins D'arcy.
That's the school where actually knowing how to play your instrument is really a lesser concern in the grand scheme of things, and you really only get taught what you need to know. im fairly certain that prior to her stint in teh breeders kelly couldnt really play shit.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:46 pm

Brocktune wrote:
tapehead wrote:Kelly Deal is weird - I mean really quite odd. I'm not convinced she actually plays guitar very much. I'm sure there's some reason behind the way she stands at her sister Kim's shoulder guitar in hand but carefully muting all the strings, just waiting for the next bit where she can play a lead part, never playing chords in the way that lead and rhythm guitarists usually do...

as far as i remember, kelly deal is sort of an alumni from the same school as the Smashing Pumpkins D'arcy.
That's the school where actually knowing how to play your instrument is really a lesser concern in the grand scheme of things, and you really only get taught what you need to know. im fairly certain that prior to her stint in teh breeders kelly couldnt really play shit.

She didn't play guitar before she was in The Breeders. When the first line-up broke up Kim went home for a bit and her mom suggested she recruit Kelly for the band. If you can't count on your twin sister, who can you? For the longest time the only songs Kelly could play were Breeders songs. Somewhere I have the album she recorded as The Kelly Deal 6000. I would guess that by now her skills have improved but not so sure that her repertoire has grown much.

D'arcy could play but she was by far the least accomplished of the band. Billy played all the guitar and bass parts on Siamese Dream because it was faster and the sessions were becoming increasingly arduous. It was so bad that at one point Butch Vig took a break to record Nirvana's Nevermind.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:04 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:
Brocktune wrote:

She didn't play guitar before she was in The Breeders. When the first line-up broke up Kim went home for a bit and her mom suggested she recruit Kelly for the band. If you can't count on your twin sister, who can you? For the longest time the only songs Kelly could play were Breeders songs. Somewhere I have the album she recorded as The Kelly Deal 6000. I would guess that by now her skills have improved but not so sure that her repertoire has grown much.

D'arcy could play but she was by far the least accomplished of the band. Billy played all the guitar and bass parts on Siamese Dream because it was faster and the sessions were becoming increasingly arduous. It was so bad that at one point Butch Vig took a break to record Nirvana's Nevermind.

I'm aware of most of these factors, and it's interesting to hear, but it doesn't begin to account for the oddness of her stage presence. And also - it's 15+ years later and she's still like some musical idiot savant on stage. Still, one of the best bands I saw play last year.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Brocktune on Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:27 pm

tapehead wrote:
Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:
Brocktune wrote:

I'm aware of most of these factors, and it's interesting to hear, but it doesn't begin to account for the oddness of her stage presence. And also - it's 15+ years later and she's still like some musical idiot savant on stage. Still, one of the best bands I saw play last year.

maybe its the the many, many years of glue sniffing, then?
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:20 pm

Brocktune wrote:
tapehead wrote:
Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:
Brocktune wrote:

maybe its the the many, many years of glue sniffing, then?

That wasn't glue she was sniffing. Remember kids: don't mail illicit substances to yourself.

The only time I saw The Breeders was at Lollapalooza '94 while they were touring on Last Splash. I was too far away to notice Kelly's stage presence or it could be I don't remember. I do remember the set was short but great, even if it did lean mostly on their current hit record. I especially recall the gold fabric covering everything and how it would move every time Jim McPherson stomped on his kick drum.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby fangeek on Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:22 pm

i have been to alot of good shows this/last year...against me, bad for brains, the bouncing souls, but by far the best was dropkick murphys. i have always loved there music but there is something about watching them live. i wish they played down where i live more but they dont come my often.
fangeek
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Seppuku on Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:45 am

Upcoming gigs: Bob Dylan, Michael Jackson, Throbbing Gristle, John Cooper Clarke tonight (guest-list courtesy of my mum, who knows just about everyone), and I managed to blag a ticket to Glastonbury from a friend of mine who was gonna take his girlfriend. Yet another sucker falls victim to the "bro's before ho's" line.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby so sorry on Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:44 am

Oh man, you're gonna see Michael Jackson? I gotta hear about that one.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby DerLanghaarige on Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:17 am

Yesterday was Jägermeister Rock Liga in Cologne and the band who were playing were:

Friska Viljar Or something like that. They were pretty cool. Never heard of them before. Had some catchy songs although it seems that they love Mando Diao's "Good Morning, Herr Horst" that much, that they decided to model every of their songs after it. But they get a thumb up for me anyway (Or because of that?)

Trashmonkeys Who did a pretty good job. I didn't love them and can't remember any of their songs, but they were okay. I just wonder what they did to earn so many Boo's and "You are shit!" calls from the audience. Don't get me wrong, it's not that the whole audience hated them. The haters were in the minority, but no other band of the evening got that treatment.

Electric Six Who were the only reason why I was there. And let me tell you: They seriously fucking rocked the house! Great show, great music and Dick Valentine almost shook my hand. Unfortunately he didn't, because I was standing just a little too far on the left. But I still enjoyed every second of their show.

Today I'm tired, I got a headache, my throat hurts, my knees even more and I think I'm deaf on one ear, but I'm happy that I didn't miss it :D
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Hermanator X on Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:28 am

The idea of a Jägermeister festival scares me. Damn that stuff is crazy.

Glad you had fun, im currently checking out whats on this summer for some similar shenanigans.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby DerLanghaarige on Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:33 pm

DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby jofussunshyne on Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:00 pm

I've been to see Electric Six, the audience ERUPTED for Gaybar lol, only about 500 people but it sure was intense lol

I used to go to so many gigs and concerts, :(... Last one was my friends brothers Beatles tribute, before that was Glasvegas around September last year.

I need new, cheap, live music fix!
"What sick ridiculous puppets we are, and what gross little stage we dance on. What fun we have dancing and fucking, not a care in the world, not knowing that we are nothing, we are not what was intended." - John Doe, Se7en.
jofussunshyne
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby justcheckin on Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:06 am

Just saw Blue October in May... and guess what I am going to see them in again in August. :) YAY!
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby theunforgettablefire on Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:55 pm

Just got back from Osheaga in Montreal. Went mostly for the Beastie Boys - who canceled, do to MCA's health problems. Yeah Yeah Yeahs put on a decent show, but they're not headliner material!
theunforgettablefire
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:22 pm

olla86 wrote:One month ago I visited the concert of Beyonce! She was marvellous!!! :!:

yo olla, i'm really happy for you and ima let you finish. but beyonce had one of the best concerts of all...
oh.
nevermind.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Seppuku on Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:32 pm

Upcoming shows in October (and I'm partly posting this just to remind myself to go to them):

Daniel Johnston

Dalek

The Slits

Espers

Marillion

Gong
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby justcheckin on Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:26 pm

I am going to see Blue October this month and possibly JJ Grey and Mofro... in Charleston at the Music Farm!
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

PreviousNext

Return to Music