Latest Concert Visits

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:37 pm

Hermanator X wrote:And there was me expecting an LSD in amsterdam gag :)

too easy :lol:

I'm envious, though. I've wanted to see NIN since I was a wee calf, but for some reason I've never made it happen. :cry:
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Hermanator X on Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:49 pm

I had a ridiculous effort to make it happen. I live and work in Norway right now, so I had to fly to home in newcastle then drive 200 miles to nottingham with a pal and catch up with mates down there. This was on saturday, gig in the evening and drive and fly back to norway on sunday, and it knocked me for six today. Worth every bit of effort though.
Highlight of the show was "Down in it" which I have always loved, but they really gave it a new lease of life.
Curious little add for the new album has been posted which I think is worth checking out.

http://yearzero.nin.com/
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Brocktune on Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:00 pm

POLYSICS
w/ The Outline
2/2/07
The Casbah
San Diego

as usual, i am late as fuck with this review. i blame a painfully slow photo acquiring process for the extended delay, in addition to my own procrastination. fuck, why do you think my review of the El Vez - My Merry Mex-Mas show on 12/23/06 hasnt been posted yet? i hope you can forgive me, and appreciate this, despite the late-itutde.

POLYSICS!!
absolutely, hands down, bar none, the coolest motherfucking band in the goddamn world right now. seriously, nobody tops them, so dont even bother trying to explain why or where i am wrong, because it just aint happening. this is the 3rd or 4th time they have been through town, and sadly, only my second time seeing them.

I dont know how this band is getting promotion, other than my constant raving to anyone that will listen. they get no radio play. they certainly dont, and will never get any MTV time. you aint going to hear them in whatever "get the teens into the theater any way we can" movie du jour's soundtrack. i guess i cant be the only one screaming to the heavens in a non stop manner about these guys, because this time around, the gig was sold out! last time, the place was only like half full. but sold out this time?!?! i was quite surprised indeed. but, it was all good, as the more people there, the more the band gets paid, and the better the show. at least on paper.

in fact, thats the reason for the shittyness of the photos. there were so many people, that it was tough to get a good one. and once the show actually started, it would have been foolhardy to bust out the camera. the pit (if you can even call them that anymore. it wasnt really a pit per se, but i dont know what else to call it. moshing has sort of evolved into this weird sort of personalized freak out thing... i dont know) was out of control. there was the one guy just to the right of me who was so wasted by the time the show started, that his friends had to hold him up the entire time. it was actually pretty hilarious, because when the pit would surge forward again, they would just toss his limp carcass right into it. where he would get bounced around by everyone, back and forth, until WHAM he hit the fucking ground. i kept my eye on him, to make sure that if he was given urge to chunder, that i was going to use the sweaty dork in front of me as a human shield.
and then there was the asshole. why does there always have to be at least one asshole at every show? polysics is a high energy band, thats for sure. but if you are a fan of polysics, you probably arent one of those guys that likes to pack 18 inches of garden house when he strolls into a pit, all elbows and shit. you know, a complete cocksucker. but sure enough, halfway through the set, this drunk skinhead comes up from the back of the crowd, at the END of a song i might add, and starts violently shoving people, and getting all tensed up, like he was getting ready to scrap. well needless to say, most folks dont kinder to this type of infantile shenanigans. so after one songs worth of unnecessarily aggressive slamming and posturing, with a dejected look on his face, because he was the only one who wanted to turn an awesome show into a bar brawl, turned, and fucked off, never to be seen again for the rest of the night.

the stage isnt guarded by any security at this club, nor is there any separation of stage from crowd. that is to say, when you go to the front, your knees are hitting the front of the stage. now as i've said before, polysics is a very high energy band. when hiro gets going up there, he goes fucking crazy. but there were peoples beer glasses and shit all over the front of the stage. i think it pissed him off a little, because he had to restrain himself, or he would have probably done much damage with all that broken glass. in fact, as the show progressed, i definitely detected a little negative vibe in his voice. the crowd was so enthusiastic, that they were practically spilling onto the stage all night. well, why dont i just let hiro tell you exactly how it was:

Hiroyuki Hayashi wrote:TodayweplayinSanDiego!
Wealwaysplayhere.Whenweplayedforthefirsttime,
thecrowdwassmall,
butguaduallymoreandmorepeopleareshowinguptoseeus!
Andtoday'sshowissoldout!!
Iamhappy!
Thecrowdtooexcited,WOW!Iseethisheavymoshamoungthe
crowd.
Atfirst,Ithoughtthisscenewassimplyexciting,
butthereweresomepeoplewhowereoutofcontrol,others
seatedonfrontoftheaudience,withtheircocktailsonthe ground.
Thismademeveryuncomfortabel.Nearlyangry.
Usually,Idon'tbotherwithsuchthingsbuthavingashowe verynight,
thelongdrives,jetlagandexhaustionhasmademeevermore sensitive.
Thankstothis,Ibangedmypreciousguitaronthefloor.
I'msorry!!!Stratocaster!
Theshowwasawesomethough.

and thats exactly how it went down. his agitation grew as the evening progressed. during the last song, he came up to my side of the stage, and got right up in the crowd, with his guitar, busting a sweet solo. i was trying to float him out and into the crowd. but not many others were trying to help me, so we barely got him off his feet, when he sort of dropped back to the stage a little (just a little), took his guitar off, threw it down on the stage, and they fucked off. it was amazing.
coolest band EVAR!

although, for as into it as the crowd seemed to be, when it came time to give it up for the band at the end of the show, the applause was piss poor, and nobody seemed to give a shit.

?!?!?!
WTF?!?!
These guys come all the way from Tokyo, to put on one of the most awesome shows you will see all year, if not ever, and thats the best you assholes can do. fuck, i was surprised nobody threw garbage at them as they were on the way out. way to let me, and an amazing band down, san diego. strong fucking work, assholes.i just hope this show didnt ruin SD for them. the next time they are in town, im going to be so far up their ass when they come to town, they are going to HAVE to hang out with me.

their new album "KARATE HOUSE" just came out in japan on 2/28. i am bumping it right now. it rules. do yourself a favor, if they come through your town (uk'ers, im looking squarely in YOUR direction, as they tour the uk fairly frequently), go see them. really, life is a shallow meaningless existence without POLYSICS. why wouldnt you want to bring this kind of profound meaning into your life?

btw, if you want to read the rest of Hiro's tour journal, you can check it out over at thePOLYSICS Official website!

and once again, sorry about the lackluster photos. i realize that probably at least 50% of my photos suck. but in my defense, if they are difficult to get for whatever reason (crowd, security, distance, etc) they usually wont be so hot. i think there is like one decent one here of Fumi, and a couple ones of Hiro that dont necessarily deserve throwing out. sorry, but no Kayo or Yano. :sad:. getting them at this show was a real bitch. when i first saw them, i said to my brother "nobody is ever going to believe that that is the real polysics".

ETA: after writing this, i had a chance to watch the bonus DVD that came with my copy of "KARATE HOUSE", which features a bunch of live, and backstage clips of the band. and i was outraged. when they play in japan, they (apparently) play the real polysics show. what i am saying is that for american audiences, not only do they play mostly the "big hits" (for lack of a better term), and very few "deep cuts" as they call them, which seriously bums me out, as i am an albums guy all the way. but as the majority of us dont speak english, and they dont speak very much, consequently, the interaction between band and audience is limited. when they play in japan, hiro talks to the audience like all the time. fumi brings a keyboard, they play way more old stuff, and they put on a better, longer and more well rounded show. im probably in the minority here, but i honestly couldnt care less that nihongo wakarimasen (i dont understand japanese). please, dont dumb it down because im an american. i want the real deal, i want the complete unadulterated performance. *sigh* oh well, i guess im just going to have to catch them in japan, if i want to see that. but it still will never stop me from seeing them here when they come anyways. i fucking love this band.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:07 pm

Miho Hatori
w/ Los Abandoned
2/6/07
The Casbah
San Diego

When i saw that Miho Hatori was going to be playing a solo show in town, i bought tickets immediately. Her solo debut record "Ecdysis" is definitely intriguing to say the least. when i first listened to it, i wondered how she would make these songs playable. how would they translate to the rock club stage? what kind of a band would she have in tow? the record is pretty short, so would she be playing anything from her Cibo Matto days, or her Smokey & Miho days? (Well, to be honest, i really didnt expect her to play any Cibo Matto stuff. Im fairly certain that her and Yuka split as amicably as possible, and really, if she wanted to do old stuff, Cibo Matto would have no trouble drumming up support for such a venture.) well, after the old ball and chain and i sat in the back of my vehicle, listening to records, and sipping sake i would be treated to my answer. and quite satisfactorily to boot.

There was the lovely ms. hatori (of course), accompanied by a japanese dude who played bass, and guitar, a japanese woman who played keys (amazing), and some white stoner looking dude on drums. later research would reveal that the dude that played drums for her also played for her during (at least some, if not all of) the Smokey & Miho days.

Her website didnt even list the san diego show, so im pretty sure it was the "warm up" gig, as our date preceeded the rest on the tour. The set was fairly short. she played all of the songs on the new record, except one or two. and one of them she played twice. once as part of the set, and the other, an alternate version, as an encore, because the crowd would not let her leave. this was surprising, and very nice indeed, considering the embarassment that was the Polysics crowd. The crowd was much, much fewer in number. nowhere close to sold out, but it was quite nice, very intimate, very comfortable, a real pleasure.

I was also surprised by how vibrant, and how much life the songs had live. the reocrd is good, dont get me wrong. but it lacks a certain warmth, that, when played live, the songs had in abundance. Songs that dont really sound too danceable were brought magically to life by the band, and had the whole audience grooving and dancing to it. it was fantastic. it was one of those performances that you arent expecting a whole lot from, but then when you leave, you wish you could see it again, because you were unprepard for just how good it would be, you know?

anyways, once again, the pics came out pretty crappy. hope you enjoy them. i will only post the least terrible. there are also a couple of videos that i have posted to youtube. you can check them out HERE, HERE, HERE, and HERE!. there are a ton of videos of her up there already, but none from my show, so there! :razz:
and in case you were curious, the videos are a little higher quality than the pics. the audio aint so good. but what can i say? it was loud as fuck, we were right next to the house system, and the camera is a piece of shit.

trust me, if she comes to your neck of the woods, it'll be ten bucks well spent.

one more thing...
there was an L.A. band opening for her called "Los Abandoned" you can check them out HERE. their record "Mixtape" is pretty good. it can be a little derivative in parts. occasionally, it smacks just a little too heavily of retro for retro's sake, but overall, the pluses outweigh the minuses. the chanteuse, Lady P. is like a music geek's chilean fantasy. cute, smart, sarcastic wit, and half of the songs are in portugese? or maybe it's simply Spanish. i dont know. all i know is that when you go to a show, and you dont know the opening act, what more could you ask for, really? if i had heard the record first, i might not be as impressed. but their live show had me more jealous than the beast that ran Selena's fan club. they were awesome live. so i had to pick up their disc. money well spent. i dont know how often they get outside of cali, but you Los Angelinos pay attention. if you are going to the rock clubs, and Los Abandoned is playing, dont be stupid, just go see them.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Silent Shout on Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:37 am

I hadn't seen this thread until now. I may add another recent show if I get around to it, but for now I'll add the show I saw Friday night:

Midlake
March 9, 2007
SLC

Trials of Van Occupanther was one of my absolute favorite albums last year, so I was quite excited to see Midlake this last Friday. They were extremely good live, I was very impressed with how well they could match their studio sound in a live setting. I was also impressed by how many instruments each band member could not only play, but play well, not to mention the fact that each of them had a mic and was singing backup in different songs throughout the show. They certainly lived up to my expectations, which were quite high. Anyone who's a Midlake fan, I definitely recommend you go check them out if they come through your town.

Here is the setlist, some of the order is probably screwed up and I may have left something out:

We Gathered In Spring
Roscoe
Van Occupanther
Bandits
Balloon Maker
In This Camp
Some of Them are Superstitious
a new song (which already sounded great)
Young Bride
Chasing After Deer
I just want your music tonight
Silent Shout
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby vicious_bastard on Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:47 am

The Mars Volta just rocked my ass to breaking point. Best gig in years. Highlights were a storming Cicatriz ESP, singalong Roulette Dares and a twenty minute long Cygnus... during which I almost came. The new drummer was surprisingly tight, and despite the saxophone being my most hated instrument, the player almost converted me after a spine-tingling Viscera Eyes Q&A break with Omar. Cedric picked up the mic stand with his teeth. I got one of Omar's pics!! Would feel 16 again but for this pill comedown.
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:11 am

TV on the Radio, The Fillmore, SF.

you know, I normally just flat out refuse to go to shows that cost over $20. Praise be to Cthulu then, for blessing me with a hot girl with hot, trendy, fashionable and connected friends, 'cuz one of 'em got us into the show tonight for FREE!

and what a show it was. Best way I can sum it up...a veritable squall of milleniumistic, zeitgesty rock 'n roll.

their live sound is bigger, fuller and WAY more scuzzy than what you've heard on the albums. Tunde is the showman, flailing his Eels O'Brien-esque left arm with utter abandon, and coupled with a flagrant disregard for mike stands, he makes quite the impassioned impression. Kyp's high pitch soprano is the real deal, and when he isn't pounding away with layer upon layer of reverb and fuzz, he's got some pretty good guitar chops. Sitek nob and guitar twiddled, but the true powerhouse of this band is drummer extraordinaire Jaleel Bunton...I was surprised, 'cuz I thought they would need two drummers to nail the tribal, percussive feel of the album, but Bunton did the work of a whole drumming circle, laying down funk, metal, rock and soul kicks, sometimes within the same song. They really nailed the old stuff, particularly "Satellite", cranked and reggaed up so much it sounded like how Bad Brains would cover it, and "Staring at the Sun", which after years of fine tuning just kills live.

after not hearing it all night, I thought they might skip it entirely, but the last song, after a false Tunde intro, was, of course, "Wolf Like Me", much to my gf's and many, many other ladies delight. Even got the jaded SF scenesters to dance a tad, a truly Herculean accomplishment.

good times, if you like or were even on the fence about them, you'll most likely leave convinced after their live set.
Last edited by Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby silentbobafett on Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:01 am

Saw Bloc Party and Kings of Leon recently... both great! :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby Seppuku on Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:34 am

I'm off to see The Fall later today, so I'll be back with an update later. Wish I wasn't feeling so fucking ill though, but I'm not gonna pass up an opportunity to hear Mark E Smith rant for an hour, so I'll still make it, albeit probably drunk as hell to compensate.
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:45 am

seppukudkurosawa wrote:I'm off to see The Fall later today, so I'll be back with an update later.

have you seen 'em before sepp?
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:55 am

Naw, I think the last time they were in town was around the time of Bend Sinister, so I never got the opportunity. I'm going with a guy who's seen them twice already though, and he says they were two of the best gigs he's ever been to, so I've got my hopes up. I hear they can go from messiah-like genius to meh in the space of a single song, so we'll see.

Anyway, why do you ask, is there anything I should know in advance? I heard one guy once said to Mark "I preferred the Hex lineup" and got bopped on the face. Imagine what he'd do to me if I said to him "Oh shiiit, I thought I was buying tickets for Fall-Out Boy!" :shock:
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:41 am

Last week I went to 3 concerts:

Mew - Such a full shoegazy head trip. They sounded great.

Battles - One of the best bands I have ever seen live. Their music is so technical I was worried it wouldn't translate live, but they just blew me away. The sound was bigger. 2 guitarists were fingertapping complicated rythms while playing a keyboard or other instruments. A sight to see.

Black Lips and the Ponys. Black Lips were cool old school garage. The Ponys wereok but nothing special.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Brocktune on Wed May 09, 2007 4:56 pm

The Cornelius Group
"The Sensuous Synchronized Show"
Monday April 30th 2007
The El Rey Theater
Los Angeles, CA

As I have told a number of people, the last time I saw Cornelius, it was like a religious experience. I'm not really going to go into it a whole lot, because that was 5 years ago. But it basically boils down to the feeling of longing to be eradicated from existence, when in the same room with an almost god-like greatness, and knowledge that the desire to become an infinitesimal fraction of that greatness is merely a pipe dream. To stand in a sold out concert hall, bathed in a million watts of lights that look like they were manufactured in outer space, and realize that your life is worthless, because you can never be what you are witnessing on stage, and that through all of your life's efforts and aspirations you have just been pissing in the wind, is a soulgrinding experience. Beautiful and devastating. I was reduced to a quivering, seizuring mass of unbridled emotions that ran the gamut from complete rapture to utterly suicidal. It was one of the greatest evenings in my life. That was seeing Cornelius in 2002. Monday night, I hauled my candy ass up to Hollywood's beautiful and historic El Rey Theater to see if Mr. Oyamada and his band of hired guns could work their magic on me once again.

The Sensuous Synchronized Show started in a similar fashion to the Point tour. A large white sheet hung in front of the stage, so you couldnt see the band, nor any of their equipment. At least not at first. As the lights came down, colored bars started flashing up on the sheet in different sequences. Then one by one, the 4 members of the group started trading off licks and riffs and blasts in a seemingly random fashion, and the title of the show was presented amongst the colors. Then the curtain dropped, and for the first time in five years I was standing in the presence of Cornelius. You know, sometimes when things stroke the exact little g-spot in my brain (lets call it the B-Spot), I get goosebumps. Like the last few bars of the John Williams end credits theme to Star Wars, or that first hit of some super dank, after a week long drought, or Leonard Rossiter's performance in "Barry Lyndon". When that sheet came down, and those amazing lights blazed on, it was goosebump city. The crowd absolutely exploded. Los Angeles crowds are always interesting. Ususally, they are cooler and more receptive than San Diego crowds, and tonight was no exception. I mean these motherfuckers were LOUD. It was so great.

The lineup consists of the three hand picked multi-instrumentalists: Hirohisa Horie (Neil & Iraiza), Hirotaka Shimizu (Pop Art Tradition Experiment), and last, but definitely not least, the girl of my dreams, the lovely and talented Yuko Araki (Migu), and Keigo himself standing in front of one of the most amazing pieces of stage lighting I have ever seen, and a screen that is as tall as the stage itself. The video images on screen, and the lighing effects are meticulously synchronized with the songs they play. The result is a sort of multimedia sensory overload. This show has got to be seen to be believed. It's almost like the "Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite" section of 2001. Only it is performed live, and the tunes are way more danceable than that Ligeti stuff. This show is almost better served by pills and hallucinogens than it is booze. That is IF you are one of those types that enjoys a little mind alteration to go along with his or her evenings out. If not, then you are still going to be blown away by it.

They played a good number of songs, although if they had played twice as long, it still wouldn't have been long enough for me. Quite a few were from the new record (obviously), but they did toss in a few of the classics. Although in typical fashion, I was displeased with the lack of tracks from the back catalog. But there rarely is any satisfying me. The stuff off the new record sounded twice as amazing live as it does on the record. At first, I wasn't too into the new record (Sensuous). I felt it was a long time to wait for something that didn't seem to be as good as the last effort, which at the time was best in an ever progressing, ever improving series of records. At first, I felt that "Sensuous" was a bit of a step back. I have since changed my mind. While it may not represent as large of a departure or progression as "Fantasma" to "Point", it is a progression nonetheless. On record, the songs have a tendency to sound a little cold, or a little clinical. I think thats part of why it took me a little longer to key into the new record. But live, tracks like "Breezin" and "Music" exude a warmth and an excitement that is absent from a lot of the record. "Wataridori" was like a dream. It's almost like the record is just a primer so that you are familiar with the material when you go see them perform it. And actually seeing Keigo, and Hiro, and Yuko up there on stage, all the way from Japan, all wearing the same outfit (what can I say, I'm a sucker for a band in uniform), all of them at least ten billion times cooler than the coolest motherfucker in the room getting into it... It's quite infectious indeed. I just wish they would play more fucking shows. Seriously, I get one fucking show, and then it's bye-bye until 2012 presumably. Weak. Fuckin weak! Now, it would be cruel and unusual punishment for me to not list the remainder of the tour dates for you guys. I can only hope that these paltry banalities that I have spewed onto this page will convince at least one of you, if not more, to go and see this fucking show. Even if you have no idea who the fuck Cornelius is, the tickets are relatively cheap, and this show is a complete sensory overload, well worth the money. Especially you U.K.'ers. I am looking squarely at you guys. The Cornelius Group is coming your way, and it would be foolish, nay, idiotic to miss them.

05-09 Baltimore, MD - Sonar
05-10 New York, NY - Webster Hall
05-11 Philadelphia, PA - Theater of Living Arts
05-18 Leeds, England - Cockpit
05-19 Minehead, England - Butlins Holiday Centre (ATP)
05-23 London, England - KOKO
05-25 Paris, France - Nouveau Casino
05-26 Cologne, Germany - Moers Festival
05-27 Brussels, Belgium - Botanique

We got some really good pics of the show. We also got some that were not so great. First, the ones that aren't so great. I think these adequately illustrate what the show must look like on a megadose of micrograms.

Hard to discern what is actually going on in these images? Sure. But do they capture the beauty, and the "infinite"-ness :wink: of the light show? You bet'cha. If you would like to check out a few more of the shots that while blurred still look cool, and captured the show in a very "unique" way, I've posted a few up on flickr. Check em out.

Here are the good ones:

OMG! Hirotaka's bass matches their outfits. That is the coolest fuckin thing i have ever seen. Although I did prefer their outfits on the last tour to those on this one. This is also (sadly) the best shot of Yuko behind the kit. Seriously, best girl drummer evar! She makes Meg White look like Emil Antonowsky in "Robocop" post toxic waste bath.

Keigo helps a fan perform the Theremin solo in "Brand New Season"

And again. Last time it was Elijah Wood that got pulled up on stage to play the Theremin. Fuck him!

Yuko on flute

Keigo on bass

Hirohisa on keys

I also managed to take a little bit of video, that I have posted to good old Youtube so those of you that are curious can check out a small smattering of the Sensuous Synchronized Show. You can see my vids HERE and HERE

So was my soul crushed at this show the way it was back in 02? Well, the answer is no. But the reason for that is, sadly, my soul was irreparably crushed a long time ago. Back in 2002, I was optimistic enough to have a spirit to crush. Now, I am just a cynical, bitter, paranoid, self loathing and distrustful jackass. Well, ok, I was always those things. But at least now I'm smart enough to not go into a show like this and expect to feel anything remotely close to self worth upon making my egress from the premises. Thank fucking Grod for Cornelius. Thank Grod that there are those who can succeed and create on a level that makes others feel the great cosmic shame of knowing you ain't getting invited to that party.

Look, I could write tomes on these guys, and how cool they are, and all about their expert musicianship. I'm imploring anyone who reads this and can make one of the listed tour dates to please, please go. My words really do this show little justice. I throw myself upon your tender mercies. Please, please, PLEASE go see them. It ain't that much, and they could use your support.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Wed May 09, 2007 5:27 pm

Plant!
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby tapehead on Thu May 10, 2007 5:35 am

Boris and Sunn 0)))
Hi Fi Bar and Ballroom
Melbourne Australia

I'm still vibrating - I took a swim in the ocean of bass that Sunn 0))) projected from the small stage of the Hi Fi Bar for an hour last night - this kind of sub bass psychedelia exists somewhere beyond doom sludge metal; it's pure noise experimentation that bewilders, confuses and tranfixes the sell out crowd of devotees. My only previous experience of the kind of aural soundscaping is from ambient electronic music - no songs, no obvious structure, just layer upon layer of sound from detuned basses and guitars, keyboards, effects units and stack upon stack of Marshal amps. It literally travels through you, shaking your organs. There was a moment when I retreated from the dry ice and oscillating laser lights to the bar for more beer, that a new descending chord slid out onto the audience when everyone around me audibly gasped as their innards trembled. So happy to see a band like this perform, can't imagine I'd ever put one of their albums on my stereo.

The band I had come to see played first. I caught on to Boris after several fanatical posts in the zone about their "Pink" album released in '05, as well as Pitch fork and Spin Journo's public dry-humping sessions, but since hearing it I've been delving into their extensive back catalogue, and I think "Heavy Rocks" is my favourite. I was thrilled to hear at least four tracks from Pink and a lot of songs that are new to me rendered live during their set last night. My metal head buddy Matt spotted Takeshi at the merch stand in between sets and we had the chance to compliment him on his double-necked Gibson SG bass/guitar as well as thank him for bringing their unique drone metal/post/stoner rock to us - pretty sure the dude didn't understand a single word. To be frank, they had sound problems early on, and it wasn't until the second half of the set that the band gelled and the metal really got tight and precise. But it didn't matter - From the moment they started with the sprawling cosmic blues of 'Pink' opener Farewell, I was entranced/ Atsuo (drummer) was mugging like Animal on speed (or, you know, just a dude on a whole lotta speed), exhorting the unusually sedate audience (alot of whom were tripping or stoned Sunn 0))) fans) to get into it, and they switched effortlessly from frantic speed metal to feedback driven dirge rock. Live, I was heard more of a band influenced by bands as diverse as Sleep, Kyuss, Motorhead and Sonic Youth than I ever gathered from Pink, but all these sounds unmistakably their own. I used to really like this album, now I really love this band.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Jr Gong and Stephen Marley

Postby Maui on Wed May 23, 2007 11:55 pm

April 22/07
The Fillmore, San Fran
Damian "JR GONG" annd Stephen Marley

Reggae is a music movement created in Jamaica, contributed to greatly by the late Bob Marley. Reggae is almost like a way of life. It doesn't only involve Rastafarians singing about weed. It's about unity, love, and sending that message around the world. It's soulful and mystical.

WOW! WOW! and WOW again! Not sure where to begin – just an incredible night of music. It started off with K'naan, a Somalian reggae/rapper whose music and lyrics were hard hitting and hopeful. He was a crowd pleaser and set the tone for the Marley boys. I had never heard this guy before - he was incredible.

K'Naan

Then it began! "LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, LIVE ALL THE WAY FROM KINGSTON, JAMAICA"

The room goes ballistic, screaming, clapping, shrieking!!

The loud beats, the dark lights, the chandeliers on the ceiling begin to glow purple. The beats get louder then the band comes out. What a band!!! Guitars, drums, keyboards, bongos, this, that, you name it - they had it all! There were 2 gals that sang backup that danced like there was no tomorrow. As well, a small boy and young man, on stage, that waved the Rasta flags continually all night long. This little boy must have been 4 years old, cute kid, Stephen's kid.

Then Stephen comes running out onto the stage - the Fillmore crowd goes nuts! He then begins to sing some songs from his new Mind Control CD, "Mind Control", "Hey Baby" – just to name a few. Later into the set he pays tribute to his Dad singing "Buffalo Soldier" and then "No Woman, No Cry". JR Gong came out towards the end. He was appearing as a special guest to Stephen. The crowd goes NUTS again! Stephen and JR Gong sang "Traffic Jam" , "All Night", "Road to Zion", "Welcome to the Jamrock" – they played many of my favourites. These guys have enough energy for 10 people. Not only are they extremely talented musicians - they are so full of life, love and optimism: they were just fucking fantastic!!!

Did I mention the contact high - fantastic as well.
Maui
WoWie

Postby so sorry on Tue May 29, 2007 10:34 pm

Steely Dan, Heavy Rollers Tour

May 25th, Borgata Hotel and Casino, Atlantic City, NJ

A few years ago a friend at work let me borrow a Steely Dan Best Of CD, and I figured I'd copy the few hits that I recognized (Rikki Don't Lose that Number, Reelin' in the Years, etc). Soon I was completely hooked.
Within a few months I had bought the entire SD collection (8 studio albums in the 70's/early 80's), and two years later this is pretty much all I listen to on a steady basis still.

To the uninitiated, Steely Dan may come across as borderline elevator music.
But given a chance, Steely Dan could open your ears to a new(old?) world of jazz and rock fusion, horns and melodies, and confusing-ass lyrics that today's rock bands can't come close to.

Are they old fuddy duddy rockers? Hell yeah, and judging by the median age of the crowd of 1,000 fans that came and saw the show, it looks like the Dan aren't getting to the young crowd (side note: this theater they played in only seats 1000, so it was a sold out crowd).

So after a few years of building up this band in my head as one of my all time favorites, could they possibly live up to my expectations?

Well, the answer was "no". They are an aging band, so Donald stick's voice ain't what it used to be, and Walter Becker let the young guitarist do the yeoman's work of the guitar solos. The concert started at 8 and ended at 10... a very quick two hours of music (not enough time to get thru all their hits).

But I fucking loved it none the less. Watching stick (in a very intimate theater setting) wiggle back and forth like Ray Charles was a treat, the five piece horn section was awesome, the back up singers sounded beautiful (one of my favorite aspect of SD is the backing vocals, often done by Michael McDonald). I got as close to dancing as I possibly could without looking like a late-30s white dude without rhythm (oh wait, that's exactly what I am).

I wish I had the skill to write a good review, or the passion for music to break down songs like you guys do, but all I can say is that if these old farts ever pass thru your neck of the woods, you might want to check them out before its too late... they are truly one of the most under appreciated
bands of the 70s/80s.

Steely Dan Trivia: their band name comes from a metal vibrator.

PS To all the potheads out there in the Zone, do yourself a favor and go buy a SD CD and blaze up (is that what you stoners say?)... you won't regret it!

PPS I won almost 500 bucks at blackjack before I saw the concert, and my buddy and I swear that these two hot young babes were giving us "the eye" at the bar right before the concert, so all in all a great night was had!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Brocktune on Tue May 29, 2007 10:52 pm

so sorry wrote:I got as close to dancing as I possibly could without looking like a late-30s white dude without rhythm (oh wait, that's exactly what I am).

good.
you already get cool points for being a late 30's white guy without rhythm, and simply going out to a show. let alone the copious bonus points for being able to let go a little, and actually enjoy the music enough to make a half assed attempt at some caucasian rump shakery. strong work, bro. you aren't nearly as lame as i had you pegged to be. :wink:

so sorry wrote:PS To all the potheads out there in the Zone, do yourself a favor and go buy a SD CD and blaze up (is that what you stoners say?)... you won't regret it!

well, i actually say blaze down, but thats just my own little personal spin, you know. you are close enough.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Tue May 29, 2007 11:41 pm

so sorry wrote:

Cool you had a good time!

Tsk tsk though for putting Steely Dan and elevator music in the same sentence.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed May 30, 2007 4:45 pm

tapehead wrote:The band I had come to see played first. I caught on to Boris after several fanatical posts in the zone about their "Pink" album released in '05

:D

tapehead wrote:since hearing it I've been delving into their extensive back catalogue, and I think "Heavy Rocks" is my favourite.

and thanks for returning the flavor!
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby St. Alphonzo on Wed May 30, 2007 5:33 pm

Maui wrote:
so sorry wrote:

Cool you had a good time!

Tsk tsk though for putting Steely Dan and elevator music in the same sentence.

Agreed. I was also introduced to The Dan through their "Best Of" collection in my folks' tape deck. I was addicted from the first notes. Superb musicianship, subversive humor, and even a few downright creepy tunes (take a listen to "Everyone's Gone To The Movies" sometime... you'll need a shower afterwards). I've never had the pleasure of seeing them live, only on video, so I'm jealous.
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby Seppuku on Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:55 pm

Gonna be seeing Polysics and Guitar Wolf soon- they're both playing Brighton.

So...Brock, when are you gonna be ordering that plane ticket?
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby tapehead on Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:02 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
tapehead wrote:The band I had come to see played first. I caught on to Boris after several fanatical posts in the zone about their "Pink" album released in '05

:D

tapehead wrote:since hearing it I've been delving into their extensive back catalogue, and I think "Heavy Rocks" is my favourite.

and thanks for returning the flavor!

I maybe should have given you explicit credit for bringing Boris to my attention - one of the best Zone hipster musical discoveries for me yet. I'd say that while 'Pink' is like a sampler of their career - it flits from drone and stoner rock to doom to punk, Heavy Rocks is essential Boris. I don't mean that in the sense of 'you got to have it', more that the tracks here go to the 'roots' of metal and hard rock (Sabbath, particularly) and tease them out into their punk and drone tendencies - maybe a little more accesible than Pink for a new listener as well. Fucker of it all is that while Pink was easy to obtain (on Southern Lord, still yet to snag either the Diwphalanx cd or the LP versions), Heavy Rocks was an expensive import... then I saw it on sale cheap at the show.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:03 pm

tapehead wrote:Heavy Rocks is essential Boris.

truer fucking words my friend...

tapehead wrote:I don't mean that in the sense of 'you got to have it'

vehemently disagree. It is essential listening, a veritable behemoth of sound.

3rd spin in a row, thing floored me.

tapehead wrote:more that the tracks here go to the 'roots' of metal and hard rock (Sabbath, particularly) and tease them out into their punk and drone tendencies - maybe a little more accesible than Pink for a new listener as well.

damn well put.

i will add, it rocks, and rocks ultimate.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:03 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:Gonna be seeing Polysics and Guitar Wolf soon- they're both playing Brighton.

So...Brock, when are you gonna be ordering that plane ticket?

i just booked it.

dude, all i got to say is bring earplugs. guitar wolf is the only band that trumps the melvins in terms of irreversible damage to your tympanic membrane courtesy of their mastery of feedback.

and, polysics live are so amazing. please save your energy, and go well hydrated, so you can really give it up for them, y'know.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:12 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
tapehead wrote:Heavy Rocks is essential Boris.

truer fucking words my friend...

tapehead wrote:I don't mean that in the sense of 'you got to have it'

vehemently disagree. It is essential listening, a veritable behemoth of sound.

3rd spin in a row, thing floored me.

tapehead wrote:more that the tracks here go to the 'roots' of metal and hard rock (Sabbath, particularly) and tease them out into their punk and drone tendencies - maybe a little more accessible than Pink for a new listener as well.

damn well put.

i will add, it rocks, and rocks ultimate.

glad you agree.
re Pink; I have a few friends who I've discussed this with, but none have actually taken the plunge - ever try eating the cd artwork with the Durer prints on them? (they look just like tabs of acid!), and hey I've got a three day weekend coming up!
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Coheed_and_Cambria on Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:47 am

I got the pleasure of seeing Roger Waters on May 18th.

This was my second chance at seeing Waters in my lifetime, I saw him once in 99....and 8 years later, I got to go again.

It was amazing. As always, Waters puts on such an amazing show for people. From old Floyd, to the solo years, to brand new songs not yet released, Waters brings large amounts of emotion to them. These are the songs that defined his life, and to many people, thier lives too.

I had the honor of getting lawn seats, and the show sold out, which is more than I can say for most shpws at Sound Advice ampitheatre is West Palm.

The screen show is also another people look forward to when they go into a concert hosted by the former Floydian. The projection was pure HD digital, and even from the lawn, I could see everything on the screen with crystal clear clarity. From the Hammers, to The moon, to it all.

Waters did alot of old school Floyd. He also did some new stuff, solo stuff, the whole 9 yards. The main point of this tour though, is the 35 anniversary of Dark Side of The Moon. So after the intermission, Roger returns and does the ENTIRE DSOTM. ENTIRE. It was something that I will keep with me for the rest of my life.

I had an amazing time, and I hope I get a chance at a third in my lifetime.

"all in all, were just bricks in the wall"
Coheed_and_Cambria
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby tapehead on Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:15 am

Peeping Tom, Forum Theatre Melbourne Australia.
22nd June '07.

The proposition of spending "International Touring Artist" money on the strength of a debut album, a heavily produced studio project, no less, is fraught with peril, even with the primary involvement of the one and only Mike Patton, perhaps the most significant male vocalist to appear in rock music, or at least metal and where that genre has progressed to in the last fifteen years.
Thankfully for the capacity crowd, although this is very much Patton's project, it seems he knew he couldn't work live without him surrounding himself with a diverse and interesting selection of talent. So we get DJ Quest on decks, the Dub Trio holding down bass, drum and guitars, and lesser known Imani Coppola (all Seveties big hair, sunglasses and attitude) on vocals and occasional violin, as well as previously unheard of (and very petite and cute) MC Buttscotch singing and beatboxing.
Going to a show featuring Patton in the past, fronting Faith No More or Fantômas (haven't seen Bungle or Tomahawk) you never knew whether he would be playful and perverse, or aggressive and, well, kind of perverse. In this setting however, he seems relaxed and laidback (although he does perform much of the show in a bullet-proof vest), and like any good ringleader he gives opportunity the opportunity to all his featured performers take centre stage.
So it's only the material that's limited, but the album itself translates well, and the few extra tracks we get (the band opens with 'Desperate Situation', an unreleased track, and there a Lovage track 'Anger management' as one of the two encores) make worthy additions to the set. The Massive Attack-produced 'Mojo', the closest thing to a 'pop single' is harder and rocks, and 'Neighborhood Spaceman' with it's vocal melodies and synths that make me think of a trip-hop Air, is lovely. Album closer "We're Not Alone" also extended out into a big opportunity for the old metal-heads in the audience to mosh it up.
Based on the strength of this show, I think there will be more from Peeping Tom.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Seppuku on Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:08 pm

I got back from that Guitar Wolf gig that I mentioned here a couple weeks back fifteen minutes ago. I bought my little brother a ticket to come with me for his eighteenth birthday, but I had to wait for the swine for over an hour outside, because he went to some similarly-named venue about ten miles away by accident. Ah well, who likes opening bands anyway? me... I wasn't that pissed off anyway because, while I was waiting for my lil' bro, I saw Ron Wood and his Motorhead/leather-trousers wearing bit on the side step into the venue, and get in for free. I'll never understand that, why does a multi-millionaire get in to this place for free, while I, a lowly minimum-wager, must pay my hard-earned cash? I guess the fact that I was never in the Small Faces or the Stones might have something to do with it.

Donning my beat-up Ramones gig shirt (from Brixton Academy circa '92), I went to the venue, and was immediately struck by how bizarre it was to be at a smoke-free gig for once. Cigarettes were banned as of a couple days ago, I think. As a non-smoker gentleman who gets pissed off at the fact that, everytime I go to a club/gig, I'll come back smelling like a middle-aged, blim-scarred, stick, the sensation was quite refreshing. Sure, it's a fascistic move banning cigarettes from these venues (AND bus-stops I might add...), but on a purely-aesthetic level I enjoyed the lack of smoke. Politcally, however, I guess it's kinda irksome.

Anyway, three of the sexiest guys in the world step onto the stage. This is the third time I've seen two of them, and the first time I've seen their new bassist, after their original, and very talented, bass player died. This new guy was in a pretty cool cult Japanese movie I've vaguely heard of (but whose name escapes me), High Zero or some such shit. Either way, he's a gorgeous, gorgeous fellow, but who can't play for shit. I don't know why they chose him to kick the whole thing off... Still, this is Guitar Wolf we're talking about, not Bass Wolf.

Everyone was bopping like motherfuckers, but there was no mosh as of yet. A punk mosh is a different proposition to any other kind of mosh. Punks, despite their bad rap, have a sense of morale about them. If a guy or woman falls over, they're picked right up. However, without exception, there will always be some pill-head with blood in his eyes, who will gravitate into the heart of the action, and just ruin it for everyone. We're happily elbowing each other, and falling with style, while two or three red-eyed twonks decide to have an epileptic fit for two hours straight. Still, I wasn't too put off, I must have lost the equivalent of a medium-sized Finnish baby in body weight out there in the fold.

Guitar Wolf were their usual strangely melodic, not quite hardcore, but energised and charged as hell self. Singer/Guitarist, Seiji, kicked everything off with his trademark downing of the bottle of beer. I once met the band, with their original bass player, when I lived opposite the venue they were playing at, and a sweeter, gentler guy in rock there ain't. However, like a werewolf, a guitar werewolf even, put him in front of a guitar and a mic and he will get the room twitching like the floor's wired up to the mains.

One thing Seiji shouldn't have done, however, is pull out the most pilled-up, paralytic, shit-faced douche in the room, and get him to have a try on his guitar. It grinded everything to a halt for a few minutes, until the guy collapsed and fell off the stage, and the show went on. At least he had some humility about him.

Anyway, after somebody finally figuring out what's Japanese for encore ("encore's Japanese for encore"), the show ended, and I stumbled to my boat doused in sweat and black and blue with bruises, but having just seen one of the best live bands to ever grace the Earth. Arigato!
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Brocktune on Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:36 pm

CSS
6/10/07
The Music Box @ The Henry Fonda Theater
Los Angeles CA

From all the drugs the one I like more is music
From all the junks the one I need more is music
From all the boys the one I take home is music
From all the ladies, the one I kiss is music
Music is my boyfriend
Music is my girlfriend
Music is my dead end
Music's my imaginary friend
Music is my brother
Music is my great grand daughter
Music is my sister
Music is my favorite mistress

From all the shit the one I gotta buy is music
From all the jobs the one I choose is music
From all the drinks I get drunk of music
From all the bitches the one I wanna be is music
Music is my beach house
Music is my hometown
Music is my king size bed
Music's where I meet my friends
Music is my hot hot bath
Music is my hot hot sex
Music is my backrub
My music is where I'd like you to touch

I was almost going to post just those lyrics, along with my pictures. I'm way too verbose and needing of attention to not pollute this page with my words of praise, of course. but if there were ever a set of lyrics that could do justice to a particular band or show, alone and by themselves, those would be them. I think by this point, it's relatively safe to say that most of us here in teh zone that are music minded have heard this album by now. And if you haven't heard it, you have probably at least heard OF it. Lord knows, I have been crowing to anyone who would listen, that i love these guys, and their record. To be quite honest, I'm surprised that CSS hasn't taken over the entire fucking world already. I mean, I honestly don't see how anybody could not like them. I just saw their new video for the song "Alcohol", and I had to wonder how these guys weren't all over MTV and radio by now. Lets see, catchy, super danceable tunes, cute band members, trendy band members, female band members, videos featuring said cute, trendy band members, and cute anthropomorphic representations of them. I just don't get it. All signs point to overnight success (which, in a way, these chicks have already sort of experienced to a smaller degree). Maybe they are and I just have missed it. But, if you haven't heard the record yet, you should probably go check it out, because not only will you most likely love it, but this band is going to be huge (sadly). So if you are one of those "I liked em way back when" types (like me ;)), you'd better get on the bandwagon quickly, because it ain't going to be long now before the ugly goblin of commercial success begins shoving his elongated proboscis up their and your ass. Case in point, Sunday June 10th 2007, Los Angeles, California.

L.A. crowds are a mixed bag. Sometimes, they are more cold and rigid than the hippest hipster's stare in your local indie club. Sometimes they are there, not because they love what they are there to see, but rather because of what it represents. Like they aren't into it, but they know a lot of people are, so they support it, and appreciate it for that reason, despite the passion and the love for said object not truly existing in their hearts. And then sometimes, they are they greatest, most loving, most appreciative crowds in the world. That night, the latter was definitely the case. The energy and the love in the room was practically palpable. you could feel it. Fuck, if the vibe is positive enough for a grotesque abomination of the human form like myself to be able to let go, and dance, and shake my ass along with, and up against all of the attractive women in the place, then it truly must be a beautiful place.

Courtesy of tardiness on behalf of my better half, we arrived to the venue after both warm up acts had already completed their sets, and fucked off for the night. we had about 20 mins until CSS came on. Ever since I started listening to the record, I have become more and more curious, and more and more hellbent on seeing these guys live. A deeper listen to the record betrays some of the secrets of the sleight of ear that is taking place. Upon close inspection, I found that most of the individual parts are pretty basic. But when layered upon one another, with taste and tact, they become much more than the sum of their combined individuality. So of course, the question naturally comes to mind. Can these guys pull it off live? Or is it all slick production and studio trickery, making for a shallow experience in person? I'm glad I went through the trouble of finding out.

I had no idea what I was in store for.

The place, which holds about a thousand, was reasonably full. but it wasn't so full you couldn't move. It was like almost sold out. When the lights came down, the audience absolutely fucking exploded. I was so unprepared for this kind of overwhelmingly positive response. Particularly for a band that hasn't been around that long, and doesn't have a whole lot of material. I suppose vastness of catalog pales in comparison with how much fun a band is live. And thats the thing about CSS. they are so much fucking fun. Usually, "fun" is the equivalent of braindead. But that is so not the case here. And thank god! Lovefoxxx's lyrics aren't your average "girl with a guitar" type of lyrics. And their music is so good. Who gives a fuck if they don't know how to play their instruments? Believe me, I never thought I would ever catch myself saying those words EVAR! But, as my musical journies take me to more places, and different places, I've found more and more music that makes me feel like that, which (as a musician) can be a real difficult reality to come to grips with. But as our own beloved Keepcoolbutcare has proselytized previously, sometimes the style IS the substance. Now, that can be a bit much for the idealist to process. Fortunately, CSS has created something perfectly in the middle, and that would make belief for that idealist much, much easier.

Fuck this was a fun show!

My words can do it no real justice.
However I am firmly in CSS's debt after that night. Thank you, CSS. Thank you for releasing a record that is so good, and so much fun. Thank you for being fun, without it being at the expense of intellect, or creativity, or integrity. Thank you for reminding me that because it's fun doesn't mean it has to be insipid, or pedantic. thank you Lovefoxxx for not being the 10 millionth Jewel Kilcher clone. Fuck, from the instant they took the stage, the crowd was on 10. I forget what the first song they played was. and I sort of forgot what order they played them in. I know they played Let's Make Love last, they played Alala close to the beginning, and they covered "Pretend We're Dead" by L7 close to the end. And when they played it, Donita Sparks actually came out on stage, and sung it with them. I also know they played everything off the Sub Pop record, except "CSS Suxxx" and (sadly) "Patins" which is like my favorite track on the record, and the one I wanted to hear the most. (Well, actually it was tied with "This Month Day 10", but they played that one. They even played at least one, and possibly two tracks off of the CSS Suxxx ep. Nice. Everyone was dancing and singing along, and having a blast. Well, almost everyone. ALL of the girls, and a lot of the boys were. but there were a few disenchanted, with arms crossed, boyfriend looking types there that didn't seem to be having any fun. Their fucking loss.

So it seems CSS is off to Europe for the rest of the fucking year. They are playing like every single festival in Europe this summer. So I think it's safe to say that I won't be seeing them again for the rest of the year :sad:. The last time they played here in SD, it was at the famed Casbah. The very club that so many of my own show reviews have stemmed from. After seeing how popular they were in L.A, I can probably kiss the idea of them playing at the same club the next time they come through town goodbye. Which is a real shame, as I can imagine that if a show at a venue that seats a thousand was that much fun, then I can imagine a show at my favorite club that only holds 250 would be just a cunthair shy of what it feels like to actually be in heaven.

the blonde on the right is none other than Donita Sparks from the legendary L7

aaaaand hot off the press, the video I took is up on youtube, right fucking HERE this is about a minute of "Meeting Paris Hilton". I took the video, so you could see just how amped the crowd was. In retrospect, it doesn't come across quite as well as I thought it would while taping it, but oh well. I had to try, eh? enjoy.

@ Sepp - thanks for the guitar wolf love. really, it's so nice. can't wait to get your take on Polysics!
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:48 pm

Brocktune wrote:@ Sepp - thanks for the guitar wolf love. really, it's so nice. can't wait to get your take on Polysics!

Mmm, hate to say it, but I didn't end up getting to see them. Brighton seems to suddenly have become incredibly highly-strung when it comes to ID checks at the door. I hadn't even needed to use my passport for years, but for the first time in ages I'm asked/shot down, and forced to scalp the fucking ticket outside the door. Apparently, the venue had just had a bust for letting in too many underagers, so they were told not to let in anyone under thirty without ID.

I'd been looking forward to them for ages, so as you can imagine I was pretty distraught. It's gotta be at least a couple of years until they play here again too.

Gentlemen.

Can't wait until CCS come to town, anyway. I bought Cansei de Ser Sexy last year, and it always does the trick as a pre-night on the town record. Glad to see at least someone had a good time, anyways.

Also, "a gentleman hair away from heaven". Yoink!
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Brocktune on Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:57 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:I'd been looking forward to them for ages, so as you can imagine I was pretty distraught. It's gotta be at least a couple of years until they play here again too.

:sad:

that totally sucks.
i wouldnt sweat it tho... those guys tour all the time, and i think they play the u.k. more than they play the u.s.

give em six months. they'll be back.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:40 pm

Brocktune wrote:And thats the thing about CSS. they are so much fucking fun. Usually, "fun" is the equivalent of braindead. But that is so not the case here. And thank god! Lovefoxxx's lyrics aren't your average "girl with a guitar" type of lyrics. And their music is so good.

it's funny how similar your reaction to them live was to the reviewers over at p4K, who kinda drubbed the album when it came out but then when ga-ga over their live show.

Brocktune wrote:Who gives a fuck if they don't know how to play their instruments? Believe me, I never thought I would ever catch myself saying those words EVAR! But, as my musical journies take me to more places, and different places, I've found more and more music that makes me feel like that, which (as a musician) can be a real difficult reality to come to grips with.

joyful, childlike insouciance. Sure, the tunes aren't virtuoso fests, but exuberance and sheer what-the-fuck-why-not? glee can make up for it, 'specially in the field of music.

Brocktune wrote:But as our own beloved Keepcoolbutcare has proselytized previously, sometimes the style IS the substance. Now, that can be a bit much for the idealist to process.

the real world eats idealists for breakfast, and that bitch is always hungry.

it took me a while to come to grips with the notion that style can be substantial, and at times I'm not sure how much I even believe in it (idealism is tough to shake); I find myself on some strange cultural divide at times, having to argue why a stylist like Wong Kar Wai has substance, while someone like Mikey Bay doesn't.

but shit, you try to defend modern hip-hop and you'll find yourself taking in all sorts of circles trying to win a point...

Brocktune wrote: Thank you for reminding me that because it's fun doesn't mean it has to be insipid, or pedantic.

now that's interesting, coming from you. One of the quibbles I have with some of the stuff you sent me, and some of the artists you extol with your typically fiery passion, is that for all their technical proficiency (and I'm thinking specifically of Ween and Polysics) they're decidedly campy. Matthew Perputua over @ Fluxblog (scroll down, he's got an mp3 of "Friends" off the new EP!) raised this very point recently w/r/t Ween...

Why is that whenever dudes are blessed with impressive technical skill and versatility, they usually end up throwing themselves into pastiche or parody? When you're forced to view all of music as a set of formulas and modular chord changes, does it all just seem easy and silly?

I mean, you sent me both Black Nasty & Ugly Duckling, two of the silliest (yet fun) and campiest hip-hop acts around. The majority of what you sent me just didn't come across as "serious" enough, there was no there, there, as it were, for me at any rate.*

Brocktune wrote: except "CSS Suxxx" and (sadly) "Patins" which is like my favorite track on the record, and the one I wanted to hear the most.

what what WHAT?!?! No "Patins"?!? That's my favorite track 2!**

*and I know that what you sent me is barely the tip of your prodigious musical tastes, that you dig on Fela and a lot of other "message" acts...or, at least ones you can shake a booty as well as a stick at.

**on a side note, I love kickass second tracks...Blur, "Song #2", some would argue Pavement's finest tune "Trigger Cut" and I'm pretty darn sure there are scads of others...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:52 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Brocktune wrote: Thank you for reminding me that because it's fun doesn't mean it has to be insipid, or pedantic.

now that's interesting, coming from you. One of the quibbles I have with some of the stuff you sent me, and some of the artists you extol with your typically fiery passion, is that for all their technical proficiency (and I'm thinking specifically of Ween and Polysics) they're decidedly campy. Matthew Perputua over @ Fluxblog (scroll down, he's got an mp3 of "Friends" off the new EP!) raised this very point recently w/r/t Ween...

Why is that whenever dudes are blessed with impressive technical skill and versatility, they usually end up throwing themselves into pastiche or parody? When you're forced to view all of music as a set of formulas and modular chord changes, does it all just seem easy and silly?

I mean, you sent me both Black Nasty & Ugly Duckling, two of the silliest (yet fun) and campiest hip-hop acts around. The majority of what you sent me just didn't come across as "serious" enough, there was no there, there, as it were, for me at any rate.*

interesting observation.
i guess, as a cynic, and a decidedly sarcastic one at that, i have a penchant for those who stand on the outside, and like to make light of whats on the inside. especially as those folks on the outside tend to do it better, than those on the inside. i also suppose that there may be little middle ground with me. i think i tend to go for the too serious, or the absurd, but little in the middle. well, i dont know if thats exactly true. i guess im looking to put into words something about my tastes that i dont exactly know how to put into words, or pin down. but what i DO know is why you responded more to Buffalo Daughter than you did Neil & Iraiza. looks like it's time to revise the contents of your next care package. ill show you just how serious i can be. i hope you enjoy "101 Dirges for Funeral and Memorial" by Gackt. :wink:
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:14 am

This is kind of a joint live and album review - I haven't seen anyone ( I mentioned it in Now Listening ) love or hate 'Boxer', the new album by The National, so thought I'd bring it up as I went to see them on Wednesday night. I know SFG has listened to it from his blag, but not really seen any comment anywhere else ( unless I missed it ) on the zone.

Boxer is getting rave reviews all over the place with an equal amount of negative comment too. That's why I mentioned love or hate, I really think this is one of those albums. I can see some people would back away from Boxer as it does flirt with areas of melody that Coldplay and the ilk inhabit, but Matt Berninger's ( lead singer ) vocals and lyrics lift the 12 songs way above any of those contemporaries.

It's a record of stark beauty, a claustrophobic blanket of sound ( if you'll indulge that ) - the songs differ in tempo but you can tell they all come from the band enjoying what they do and all being in sync with each other artistically. This gives the album an amazing consistency of sound, with some wonderful arrangements ( Sufjan guests on a couple of tracks ) across it's running time.

I 10/10'd Boxer in my music blag, it ticks every box you could wish for, and whilst obviously walking a tightrope over middle-of-the-roadness, the inherent beauty and emotive core The National have crafted take Boxer somewhere else entirely.

Here's a link and the tracklisting for Boxer, if you scroll down you'll be able to listen to the entire album, song by song.....

1. Fake Empire
2. Mistaken For Strangers
3. Brainy
4. Squalor Victoria
5. Green Gloves
6. Slow Show
7. Apartment Story
8. Start A War
9. Guest Room
10. Racing Like A Pro
11. Ada
12. Gospel

( Hype machine link stolen from KC! )

So I was excited to see the band live but did not really know if the album's subtleties would translate on stage, a mesmerisng rendition of Start a War opened the show and put paid to any more thoughts like that. Fortunately it was a small venue, with only around 300 people, so that added to the atmosphere. Boxer really comes alive with second track Mistaken For Strangers and placed at the same spot on the set list, the twin guitar and assault of the drums really electrified the crowd.

Berninger made a pretty charismatic front man, with some genuinely funny exchanges with the audience - his vocals are fascinating live, his low baritone giving a gloomy edge to some poetic lyrics. The rest of the band were tight, the drummer being particularly good, his importance coming through as he drove the songs to places they don't reach on the record. This fuller sound was further filled out by an excellent violinist.

The band played Boxer ( save guest Room ) in it's entirety with tracks from previous album "Alligator" bulking out the gig and encore. I thoroughly enjoyed myself and will look to go and see The National again, hopefully somewhere similar in size to this venue.

I was due to go to the gig with TonyWilson, but unfortunately he could not make it - this was a shame as I suspected that Tony would rip the intestines from Boxer and stamp all over them if he reviewed it and I wanted his reaction to the band live to see if that thought rang true ( does it? Not sure if you've listened to it yet..... )

So anyone else loving or hating Boxer? Anyone else going to see The National?

A few live tracks from Boxer here - pretty good, but lacking real edge as one guitar has been swapped for acoustic.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:47 pm

good stuff dog. I don't like 'em, and find the praise they receive baffling, but to each...

and I stole The Hype Machine link from somebody else, that and Elbo.Ws are pretty nifty search engines. While they're both dependent on the fickle, lily-white-indie taste of blogger nation, they're both great listening/downstealing devices for albums you may be on the fence about.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby St. Alphonzo on Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:53 pm

I haven't quite made up my mind about Boxer yet. A couple of the songs grabbed me right off the bat, but the rest... I need a few more listens to be sure.

I really like that opening track though, "Fake Empire". It's got that Lambchop kinda feeling that I've been digging on lately.
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby DennisMM on Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:23 pm

Tomorrow night I am seeing Lyle Lovett (without the Large Band). k.d. lang is the opener. I'll try to write a review.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Latest Concert Visits

Postby bastard_robo on Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:49 pm

IM GOING TO GO SEE WEIRD AL NEXT WEEK!!!!!!!!
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby doglips on Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:07 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:good stuff dog. I don't like 'em, and find the praise they receive baffling, but to each...

I knew you'd find the sauce too weak ( heh ) and I kinda guessed Phonz would be on the fence, so I guess Ribbons and Flumm might fall for this record as I have ( possibly ). Man, I love the zone.

Loving that Blitzen Trapper, BTW - It's what I imagined the new White Stripes was gonna be like - don't get me wrong, Icky Thump is a solid album, just nowhere near as inventive as I thought it might have been.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby St. Alphonzo on Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:30 pm

DennisMM wrote:Tomorrow night I am seeing Lyle Lovett (without the Large Band). k.d. lang is the opener. I'll try to write a review.

I've seen him three times: twice with the Large Band, once without.

You're probably in for a much more "country" evening than you anticipated!!!

When the hell is he going to release some new material? Guy's got a two-decade career and about seven albums... two of which were all covers!
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby DennisMM on Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:47 pm

This is my second Lovett show. The first was at Red Rocks, in the howling wind and pouring rain. They had to shut down the stage for more than half an hour because even the rain cover they built five or six years back wasn't sufficient -- the rain was coming damn near sideways.

Both he and lang have gone back to a more country sound, if I recall. I don't mind. I like most of his work, and lang got too close to supper-club for a while.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Re: Latest Concert Visits

Postby Brocktune on Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:16 pm

bastard_robo wrote:IM GOING TO GO SEE WEIRD AL NEXT WEEK!!!!!!!!

well then, as i am never one who likes to be upstaged, this would seem like an excellent time for me to post my overdue weird al review.

"Weird Al" Yankovic
6/13/07
San Diego County Fair (formerly The Del Mar Fair)
Del Mar, CA

So Weird Al and I have had our ups and downs over the years. When I first discovered him as a child, I was in love. I swear I wore out my copy of "Dare To Be Stupid". Then, sometime after "Even Worse" I decided I didn't like Al anymore. Then UHF came out, and I loved him again. But then, as that hilarious movie passed from recent memory, I decided I didn't like Al any more.

Fast forward to 1997. My then current significant other and myself had procured ourselves tickets for San Diego's annual "Street Scene". A festival style concert set in the streets of the Gaslamp Quarter. It used to be really cool. They would close off all of the streets in the GQ, and stick a stage at the end of every one of them. Tons of bands, tons of booze, and you could just walk down the street with it. It was great. So that year, as i perused the schedule, I noticed that Al was to be performing. I was overcome with a sense of childhood nostalgia, and insisted we attend. Fortunately for us, it was one of the smaller stages, and we were able to get right up in front. The performance I bore witness to that day had me walking away from the stage thanking God for Weird Al, and swearing to never abandon him again. Ever since that day, I have not turned my back on Al again. Sure, I may not have bought all of his albums, or even stolen all of his albums. After all, a good percentage of his material isn't very good. And lets face it, it can really only be as good as the artist or artistS (and I use the term VERY loosely) who wrote it originally anyways, right? But ultimately, his material is totally irrelevant. Weird Al exists to perform. It isn't about the record, it's about the show. Others, possibly including Al himself, may disagree with me, but it doesn't matter, I am right. Al's records are just a way to get you to find out who he is, so you can come to the show when he is in town, where the REAL magic happens.

The show I saw in 97 was unbelievable. In the space of about an hour, Al underwent at least 6 costume changes, including the "studly" makeup and outfit, which was the grand finale. In addition to his theatrical flair, his band is on average at least a million times better than any of the people they parody. Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz, Jim West, and the incomparable Steve Jay are arguably as much of a reason to see Weird Al as Al himself. And sometimes more, if you ask me. But thats probably my inner musician talking. Between costume changes, Bermuda would sort of lead the band, and they would do these little musical comedy bits while Al was offstage. It was so great. Hilarious, and extremely well performed on all fronts, the show was awesome.

Ever since then, I have told anyone who gave a shit, about how great I thought they were, and how they should never be missed, and all kinds of other ingratiating bullshit. So when I found out he was going to be playing at the fair, I was stoked, because this seemed like it would be the perfect opportunity to introduce some of my current contingent to the glory of Al.

You see, in previous years, when you go to the fair, you pay your admission, and there is a free concert by an artist of varying prominance on every night, out on the racetrack. It was general admission. You could stand as close to the stage as you wanted. You could go sit in the grandstand opposite the stage if you didn't want to stand or dance. I am pretty militantly in favor of general admission shows, and I usually eschew conveniences that cater to the candy ass. Conveniences such as chairs. Unless I am going to the theater, the comedy club, or the symphony, a venue with seats in front of the stage always gets an emphatic thumbs down. So I had resisted seeing Al in a seated venue. But at the fair? This was perfect. We can get right up there, and really enjoy this shit. So you can imagine my disgust, when upon arrival to the grandstand area of the fair I found that access to the front of the stage had been completely blocked off by metal barricades, and there were seats filling the entire "floor" for lack of a better term. WTF?!?! Fuckin WEAK! Apparently, as I haven't been to the fair in a recreational capacity for a while, I was unaware that they had changed a few things. Now, to get in front of the stage, you have to buy a 90 dollar dinner package.

So lame.
So christ allmighty lame, it hurts.

Oh well, what am I going to do? I might as well try an enjoy the show anyways, as I am here.

And thats exactly what I did.

Once again, Al and his band were amazing. There were costume changes galore, video screens, what seemed like a billion dollars worth of various lights, segue scooters, and trips into the crowd. He covered many of his more recent hits. And when I say recent, I mean the last 10 years. Amish Paradise, White & Nerdy, Smeels Like Nirvana, Bedrock Anthem, It's All About the Pentiums, etc. He also did like a medley of some of his old hits. But the two highlights of the show were at the beginning and the end. First, he played "Polkarama!" off the new record. Now, that isn't my favorite of his polka tunes, but seeing him jam on that accordion, and being performed for by a band as skilled and talented as his, makes any of the polka songs a joy to behold, and always a highlight. Really awesome. He did one on a Dr. Demento special a few years back, and as I recall, it brought the house down. The other standout of the night was when they played "Yoda". I have always had a soft spot for that tune. The whole place was singing along, and going nuts. It was really fucking cool.

If the show had a downside, it was that there were too many fucking videos!

Ok, I know I already talked about how cool the costume changes were, but heres the thing.... Costume changes take time. This time around, it wasn't just Al changing costume, it was the whole band. So when the entire band would leave the stage for a change, they would play clips of those funny and phony interviews Al has done over the years. You know, Eminem, Avril Lavigne, etc. Now, they are funny. Very funny. But as I mentioned previously, one of the coolest things about seeing them live was the little musical jokes the bamd would do while Al was offstage. Now we get videos instead.

Once again, lame. We sure ain't going to get those fucking things on the record, and I can watch those Al interviews on youtube any fucking time I want. I can't hear Steve Jay riffing with Jon Bermuda Schwartz at home. In addition to the loss of band humor, the costume changes and videos absolutely KILLED the pacing of the show. A couple of times, they changed costumes like once after every song. So between every song, we got 5 to 10 minutes of Al TV. It was ok at first, but then people besides myself were really starting to get bored with it. you could tell. Al, please go back to the way you did things when there was no video screens on stage. Please?!

Anyways, to poorly wrap up this review, let me just say that you really should go see Weird Al when he comes through your town. Unless it is at the San Diego County Fair. Don't go see him there. In fact, don't go see anyone there. That place fucking sucks now. :evil:

Last edited by Brocktune on Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:31 pm

Weird Al is in a league all on his own. He's the one and only when it comes to parodying musicians. Noone else has done it like him and not sure if anyone can. He's set the bar so high.

Cool you liked the concert. He's coming to SAC so I may just check that out.

Nice review.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Brocktune on Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:41 pm

thanks.

you definitely should check him out.

but then again, i think i say that about everyone i see :?
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:27 pm

Off to see The Buzzcocks in about ten minutes, and I'm hoping Howard Devoto joins them on stage like he did last time I saw them.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:36 pm

damn i meant to post this but forgot.

i went to see the decemberists this past saturday at merriweather post pavilion in columbia, md. they were great, blah blah blah...

but what i really meant to mention was, sitting right in front of me was a girl who i swear looked EXACTLY like tangerine. same hair, same glasses, same looking face. but tangerine is in the UK isn't she? so i don't know what she would be doing in columbia, md. but it looked SO MUCH like her. could she be vacationing in DC? has she even been around the zone lately? i couldn't hear her say anything, so i couldn't pick out a british accent. probably just mistaken identity, but wouldn't that be freaky if it was really her? a random zoner encounter in the real world? i thought about yelling out "TANGERINE!" to see if she turned around, but that might've made me look weird.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Vicarious on Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:23 pm

Weird Al does put on a great show. A must-see. I saw him in 1999 and again a few weeks ago in a festival setting. Couldn't see as well this time but it was a great time nonetheless.
Eye on the TV, 'cause tragedy thrills me...
Vicarious
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:33 pm

TheBaxter wrote:damn i meant to post this but forgot.

i went to see the decemberists this past saturday at merriweather post pavilion in columbia, md. they were great, blah blah blah...

but what i really meant to mention was, sitting right in front of me was a girl who i swear looked EXACTLY like tangerine. same hair, same glasses, same looking face. but tangerine is in the UK isn't she? so i don't know what she would be doing in columbia, md. but it looked SO MUCH like her. could she be vacationing in DC? has she even been around the zone lately? i couldn't hear her say anything, so i couldn't pick out a british accent. probably just mistaken identity, but wouldn't that be freaky if it was really her? a random zoner encounter in the real world? i thought about yelling out "TANGERINE!" to see if she turned around, but that might've made me look weird.

I was supposed to be at that show but had to attend a wedding instead.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby thebabypanda on Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:17 pm

going to see theo and the skyscrapers tonight in phoenix, az.

it's theo from the lunachicks new band. a bunch of my girlf's
amigos are going and it should be fun. nothing like an aggro
lady band eh?
thebabypanda
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

PreviousNext

Return to Music