Favourite Music Videos.

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Favourite Music Videos.

Postby TonyWilson on Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:04 am

Number 1: Rabbit in your Headlights/UNKLE Directed by Jonathan Glazer.

Then, in no particular order,

Everlong/Foo Fighters
All is full of Love/Bjork
Come to Daddy/Aphex Twin
Around the World/Daft Punk
Sabotage/Beastie Boys
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Moriarty on Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:13 am

Y'know, as much as I like "Everlong," I don't think I've ever seen the video.

Do you know who directed it?

And I'd agree that "Rabbit In Your Headlights" is spectacular. Glazer's a pretty amazing director.
Moriarty
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Everlong

Postby TonyWilson on Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:26 am

Michel Gondry was the man behind it.

It's basically a big dream sequence with Dave Grohl and the drummer playing his girlfriend. The girlfriend gets chased by the other two band members and Dave comes to recue her. It's set in a cabin in the woods.

Like Eternal Sunshine it's pretty much all on camera practical effects, e.g water poured over the lense to simulate going into a dream and clever technical set designs.

The best thing I can say about it is that it really feels like a dream not just dream sequence in a film.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby Agent Alonzo on Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:39 am

I always had a soft spot for the video for Radiohead's Karma Police.
Agent Alonzo
UMAGAA OMBONGO

Karma Police

Postby TonyWilson on Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:48 am

Ah yeh Karma Police was great, that was Jonathan Glazer as well.
In the uk the big three are Jonze, Cunningham and Goindry. Whereas Glazer nary gets a mention, Sexy Beast was ignored by critics and audiences til it's DVD release. So was Birth.
TonyWilson

Postby Agent Alonzo on Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:18 am

Hey Tony, you were right about Mick Hucknell. His music's rubbish, and he's a ginger.
I also have fond memories of that 80s europop classic 'Boys Boys Boys' by Sabrina.
That may have something to do with me being like 13 at the time, and the video being nothing but a very busty singer, in a very small white bikini, jumping up and down in a pool...
alonzo..... my apologies you ho-bag! - banthafodderUK

...that was the funniest post I've ever read at AICN. Comedy gold. I'm stealing it and shooting it in nothing other than a static two-shot. - Kevin Smith
Agent Alonzo
UMAGAA OMBONGO

Postby Octaveaeon on Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:53 am

I'd have to say pretty much any video by Radiohead (I particularly loved 'Pyramid Song'... it reminds me of AI for some strange reason, although I've only seen that video a couple of times) or Bjork (specially the Gondry stuff). I though 'Closer' by NIN was also cool, but damn it's been a long time since I've seen that video. Other than that not much pops into my head... I've stopped watching TV (specially M- TV) years ago... By the way, since the general headling was on Sigur Ros, let me just mention that I saw them, again, last thursday and... they were AMAZING! THey played some of their new stuff, and geez, it was impeccable. However, I doubt that they will ever make an album like their first one... that one was 'touched by God' or something, because I've never felt that way from listening to an album before... I actually had a mystical experience listening to it (ok, i was on shrooms, but GODDAMN! if it didn't change my life!...). I wouldn't call them my favorite band (I'd be more inclined to give that to Radiohead, while Sufjan Stevens is slowly but surely on his way of becoming my favorite male artist... though I wouldn't call my self a "fan" of any of these), but they sure made the best fucking album I've ever heard/felt, and I feel lucky that I came across it...
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.
-- George Washington
Octaveaeon
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby John-Locke on Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:37 am

Have any of you guys seen Rubber Johnny yet?

BTW I agree with all the videos mentioned so far, Jonze, Gondry, Cunningham and Glazer all Rock.

Ah Sabrina, you know there was a bit where you could see the top of her Nipple.

I'm also going to have to throw in the Obligatory Thriller, evn though I can never watch it in the same way since the trial.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby The Ginger Man on Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:28 pm

Can't believe I'm gonna say this, but the video for Elton John's "This Train Don't Stop" where Justin Timberlake plays a frighteningly real looking 70's Elton. And a random cameo from Paul Ruebens. And a giant bunny in a bubble room. And if I remember, it was all done in one take. I just had to watch it every time it was on.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

I am Old

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:31 pm

So I am going to go with 'Take on Me' by A-Ha. I really truly haven't watched a music video in like 16 years.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Bean on Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:31 pm

The Grateful Dead's music video for U.S. Blues was real trippy, gotta love it.
Bean
AIRWOLF

THRILLER FOOLS!

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:40 pm

How 'bout some love for the classics...Landis doing "Thriller".
There was the Yes (I was young and MTV was new) video "Owner of the Lonely Hearts" (?) that freaked me out as a kid.
I just rented JSA and Palm Pictures is puttin out more of the Directors Series. I know Glazer is one of them, the guy who did some of the more trippy NIN videos as well.
How 'bout the Dylan video from back in the day that Inxs ripped off for "Mediate"?
"Sabotage" "Fell in Love With a Girl" the Jamiroquai video (Glazer I think) oh, and the low budget, pretentious videos of Pavement, "Cut Your Hair" in particular, are my faves.
Metallica's "One" as well, although after that it was all downhill.
Hype Williams had some good one's as well
And what about Michael Bay...he made some, oh, wait you said best videos, not (insert Michael Bay joke here)
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Moriarty on Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:56 pm

Yeah, I bought RUBBER JOHNNY, but the cover traumatized me so much that I'm afraid to watch it.

Maybe I'll do a double-feature of that and ERASERHEAD on DVD, a perfect match for the new dad.
Moriarty
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby John-Locke on Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:45 pm

Mori it's only really about 8 minutes long, I have no idea what it all means (well maybe I do but I'll let you see it first).

SERIOUSLY THOUGH DO NOT WATCH THIS WITH YOUR KID ANYWHERE NEAR THE TV SET
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Bean on Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:30 am

Can't be as fucked up as the Wall :lol:
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby John-Locke on Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:09 pm

You can find a trailer for Rubber Johnny HERE[/url]
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby cockknocker on Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:36 am

I dont really see many music videos what with only having terrestrial but my favourite is probably still "all is full of love." One thats not been mention is the "Go with the flow" video by shynola, that was pretty cool.

Really want to see Rubber Johnny but I'll be damned if im paying 10 quid for it!
"Around dawn in Edinburgh is a really good time to see the castle wandering around, having a wank. "
cockknocker
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Re: I am Old

Postby PVIII on Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:02 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:So I am going to go with 'Take on Me' by A-Ha. I really truly haven't watched a music video in like 16 years.

Anyone watch Family Guy last night? Chris got pulled into the Take on Me video. It was pretty hilarious.

Phil
"It's an Illusion!"--GOB
PVIII
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:07 pm

Haha, yeah I mentioned it in Harry's other music video thread.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby The Garbage Man on Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:04 am

I'm tempted to mention Keane's video for "Bedshaped," but I still can't decide if I love it or if I find totally disturbing... probably both.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby St. Alphonzo on Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:51 am

Netflix no longer has "Rubber Johnny" available!

Damn, I can't see shelling out that kind of jack for an 8-minute video sight unseen.
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby DennisMM on Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:10 pm

Cut and pasted from the other thread -- I always get in late, it seems:

1. The Replacements, "Bastards of Young." Just a shot of a speaker playing the song.

2. "Brilliant Disguise" by Bruce Springsteen. Bruce is in his kitchen in New Jersey, singing and playing acoustic guitar live to a playback of the album's percussion track. It's B&W, a single shot starting from the bottom of his guitar to just above his head. As the video progresses, the camera very slowly moves in on him until it's an extreme CU of his face. He stares the camera down right before the end, then drops his chin and tilts his head away from the camera for the fade-out. I really like Springsteen, but when I saw this I flipped.

3. A-ha, "Take on Me." Great production, but still trash.

4. Rod Stewart, "Baby Jane." For the moment when all the women's shoes drop from above.

5. Cher, "If I Could Turn Back Time." Who doesn't love a middle-aged woman showing her buttocks to a few hundred sailors and her teenaged son?

6. Bruce Springsteen, "Tougher Than the Rest." The shots of many sorts of real couples who've come to see Springsteen. But mostly for the beatific adoration in Patti Scialfa's face as she looks across the stage to Bruce.

7. Peter Gabriel, "Shock the Monkey." When Gabriel the businessman raised his head to show the Shaman's makeup, I freaked. Also, dwarves!

8. U2, "Where the Streets Have No Name." Yeah, yeah, it's obvious. So what? It's still a great fucking video.

9. Thomas Dolby, "She Blinded Me with Science." Great early cheese vid.

10. Nirvana, "Smells Like Teen Spirit." The record was the most exciting music I'd heard in years, and the video was a kick in the gut to an oldies-loving, rather complacent music store employee.

There are many, many more, but these come to mind as I'm moving back and forth between work and wasting time.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby DennisMM on Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:46 pm

I can't comment on many of these newer (less than 5 years old) videos because I don't see videos! Where are they? Neither MTV nor VH1 runs videos more than a few hours a day, usually in early morning or middle of the night. I've not enough interest in R&B and hip-hop to turn on BET (though I may have to in order to see R. Kelly). Where are these videos? MTV2?
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby TonyWilson on Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:34 pm

DennisMM, I don't know how it works in the US but yeh most of the ones I mentioned you would see on a program called 120 Minutes on MTV.

Alternatively, if you have the inclination, the collected works of Spike Jonze, Michel Gondry and Chris Cunningham are on DVD.
TonyWilson

Postby DennisMM on Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:05 pm

TonyWilson wrote:DennisMM, I don't know how it works in the US but yeh most of the ones I mentioned you would see on a program called 120 Minutes on MTV.

I didn't even realize MTV still ran "120 Minutes." God, I remember it from the '80s. I just checked the MTV website, and even MTV2 is now mostly "shows" rather than videos. I don't see a listing for "120 Minutes."

Damn.

Not that I'm into much current music, anyway, but ...
DennisMM

Postby wonkabar on Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:32 am

MTV sucks. What was the video where the guy kept getting hit by cars in the tunnel, then finally he goes all christ-like and it's as if the last car hit a tree? That was bitch'n
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:32 am

Wonkabar that was Rabbit in Your Headlights. I mentioned it at the start as the best video of all time.

It's by Unkle (which is DJ Shadow and James Lavelle, Thom Yorke sings the track and Jonathan Glazer (sexy beast and birth) directed it.

It is a Stone Cold Classic.
TonyWilson

Postby wonkabar on Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:02 pm

Thanks Tony. That's been killing me for like a year. I remembered that Yorke was on just couldn't remember the band or the name of the song. Definetely the best video of all time. Good call
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Colin on Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:34 pm

Matthew Good - Weapon.

Favouritest music video ever.
Colin
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Brocktune on Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:59 pm

Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Return to Music